Obama raises $25 million … in one day; Update: Story debunked

posted at 1:52 pm on July 21, 2008 by Allahpundit

Now we know why the initial estimates for June were rumored to be $30 million — namely, because they were $30 million, until the very last day of the month. If Ron Paul’s $4.2 million single-day haul was a “money bomb,” what’s this? Money Nagasaki?

After locking up his party’s presidential nomination, Barack Obama’s fundraising operation came roaring back to life in June, generating more than a million dollars on five days, including a whopping $25 million that came in on the last day of the month.

His one-day haul represents nearly half of his monthly total and more than Republican rival John McCain generated for the entire month. During the month, McCain did not have a single day in which he raised a million dollars.

Overall, Obama raised $54 million for his campaign in June, compared to $22 million for McCain.

Geraghty spins this as proof that June really was slow for the Messiah after all, but knowing that the other guy beat our guy’s monthly take in a day doesn’t put me in the mood for gloating. How did he do it? I thought of that video his campaign manager posted begging for cash, but that didn’t appear until the first week of July. The closest thing I could find to some compelling eleventh-hour fundraising appeal in June is this pro forma solicitation from Obama posted the morning of the 30th. With a donor base of 1.7 million people and an average donation in June of $68, we can guesstimate that 21.6% of people on his e-mail list ponied up in response to the solicitation. Is that likely/plausible? Atlas Shrugs is calling shenanigans on his foreign donors and a quickie review of Open Secrets reveals that he received “only” $3 million in large contributions (i.e. over $200) on the last day of the last quarter even though he was still locked in battle with Hillary, but my awe of the Messiah’s magical money powers leaves me reluctant to doubt this take. Anyone knowledgeable about fundraising want to argue the contrary?

Update: Dave Weigel of Reason e-mails to say that Money Nagasaki is a fizzle. From Politico’s updated story on Obama’s fundraising:

An initial summary of Obama’s donations posted on the FEC website Sunday night grouped all of his un-itemized donations of less than $200 on the same day – June 30th. That left the impression that Obama had an astonishingly good — $25 million – final fundraising day for the month and Politico made that the lead of this story.

Turns out, Obama raised nearly $4 million on June 30th, a healthy amount certainly. But the $21 million from the un-itemized small donors, which are those who are not named because they haven’t given more than $200, came in throughout the month and not on a single day. The FEC is adding an explanatory note to avoid such confusion in the future, said FEC spokesman Bob Biersback.

So “large” donors accounted for $31 million, almost 50% more than small donors, notwithstanding the conventional wisdom in Obamaland that he was foregoing public financing in order to accommodate all the common folk who were itching to donate to him.

Comments

Cooking the books?

It seems strange that the campaign would wait so long to report numbers than magically have an extra 25 million sitting around. This flies in the face of reality. something is very strange in BHO money machine.

unseen on July 21, 2008 at 1:57 PM

College students threw away their first summer paycheck?

libertytexan on July 21, 2008 at 1:57 PM

Rush should start hosting Hillary fundraisers as part of operation chaos’ second phase.

Theworldisnotenough on July 21, 2008 at 1:58 PM

Is anyone looking into the small donations coming in via foreign debit and credit card processors?

The whole Obama candidacy smells. Soros, you have a pretty spiffy operation.

eaglesdontflock on July 21, 2008 at 1:59 PM

How can a candidate have a $30,000 a plate fundraising dinner? I thought the limit was $2600. Is the money going to the party or a PAC or what? I realize there’s an answer to this, because everybody does it, but I would like to know. I also suspect a few huge donors are funding Obama through laundered money.

boko fittleworth on July 21, 2008 at 1:59 PM

If this is real, the election is over.

Riposte on July 21, 2008 at 2:01 PM

I, too, am reluctant to express unfounded doubts because it’s just too grassy knollish for me. But there’s something awfully fishy about Obama’s money. I have no idea what it is, but with everyone so terrified of recession right now and supposedly having trouble buying gasoline, why and how are so many small donors – regular joes, one would presume – coughing it up repeatedly for a candidate who seems to have it in the bag?

aero on July 21, 2008 at 2:01 PM

Anybody familiar with campaign finance laws? What are candidates required to disclose? To whom? When?

TheBigOldDog on July 21, 2008 at 2:01 PM

If this is real, the election is over.

Riposte on July 21, 2008 at 2:01 PM

Don’t kid yourself

TheBigOldDog on July 21, 2008 at 2:02 PM

Anyone knowledgeable about fundraising want to argue the contrary?

Sonny Corleone was unavailable for comment.

Limerick on July 21, 2008 at 2:03 PM

… including a whopping $25 million that came in on the last day of the month.

So … in addition to all his other suddenly mortal qualities, Obama’s just another liberal Democrat tied into illegal foreign fundraising, right?

Or am I really being asked to believe that out of the blue he pulled in $25M in one day, on the last day of a month coincidentally, and that his campaign for the first time ever waited until the month was nearly over to disclose the haul? I’m calling b.s.

Blacksheep on July 21, 2008 at 2:05 PM

It’s gonna be epic.

Way to go, moderates! You’ve screwed America, again!

HYTEAndy on July 21, 2008 at 2:07 PM

What recession?

Shy Guy on July 21, 2008 at 2:07 PM

From what I read, the donations from all these foreign countries was by ‘American’s’. Will these ‘American’s’ be voting in Nov.? How can this be proved who is donating?
L

letget on July 21, 2008 at 2:08 PM

Blacksheep on July 21, 2008 at 2:05 PM

It was based on COLA projections for 2012.

Limerick on July 21, 2008 at 2:08 PM

This is not the public financing refusal I thought I knew.

wccawa on July 21, 2008 at 2:10 PM

I remember getting an email from his campaign on the last day of the month asking for padding to the June totals. I donated $25, so…. 0.0001% of that total was from me.

Typhonsentra on July 21, 2008 at 2:11 PM

Obama – 338 million so far in contributions. Hillary – 212 million. 550 million dollars! That’s 137,500,000 gallons of gas. I don’t want to hear any more liberals whining about the economy when they have dropped half a billion on 2 candidates.

Or have they?

reaganaut on July 21, 2008 at 2:11 PM

Anyone mind dropping a line to the FEC to see if everything is on the up and up?

Dr.Cwac.Cwac on July 21, 2008 at 2:12 PM

This has to be good for Michelle’s children.

Dr.Cwac.Cwac on July 21, 2008 at 2:12 PM

When did McCain became, as AP puts it, “our guy?”

I remember a poll posted here during the early days when it was just being realized that McCain had really locked up the nomination. It asked how many of us would actually go out and vote for the Maverick, how many would vote for Obama, and how many would just stay home. I can’t find that poll now though and I’d really like to see it again. (Not saying it’s been removed, wordpress just doesn’t offer a very robust search mechanism for it.)

Anyone know where that was? I’d like to see a new poll run comparing results NOW to the results THEN.

Ludwig on July 21, 2008 at 2:13 PM

Typhonsentra on July 21, 2008 at 2:11 PM

I like that. Flat out honesty. Kudos, sir/madam. None of this I was a Republican before I was a Democrat BS.

Limerick on July 21, 2008 at 2:13 PM

I think I detect the slow hand of Soros in action.

Dr.Cwac.Cwac on July 21, 2008 at 2:13 PM

So if the last day of June was so spectacular, why then the doom-and-gloom campaign mgr. spot in early July?

The foreign money funnel is greatly disturbing as well.

Jason Coleman on July 21, 2008 at 2:16 PM

This is pretty shady.

re: the poll I sure hope everyone gets out and votes…against Obama. This election is too important to blow off. I feel it will be a close one too.

We are doomed if BO is elected President.

becki51758 on July 21, 2008 at 2:17 PM

‘Thanks’ for the bad news…again.

Karmi on July 21, 2008 at 2:18 PM

but knowing that the other guy beat our guy’s monthly take

Allahpundit

lolz at “our guy”

fossten on July 21, 2008 at 2:22 PM

Is that the same FEC that’s become nearly dead because Congress keeps blocking appointments to the commission?

Sorry. The FEC isn’t dead; it’s merely pining for the fjords.

NeighborhoodCatLady on July 21, 2008 at 2:24 PM

$25 million that came in on the last day of the month.

Interesting that one day = the rest of the month and like you mention there is nothing to account for why they got so much funding on this single day. I am starting to smell something fishy going on here.

JeffinSac on July 21, 2008 at 2:24 PM

…yet, these small donations came from a small number of overseas money transfer sites. Nothing to see here, please move on.

Think_b4_speaking on July 21, 2008 at 2:27 PM

Ref the update: Darn! Looks like it is back to the middle-name BS.

Seriously, Allah…..what do these numbers mean when he can’t seem to get a bump up in the polls? Is the cash-cow/money-buys-the-election an urban myth, or are the polls wrong? (I ask in all humility as polls seem to fuel many posts here)

Limerick on July 21, 2008 at 2:28 PM

Makes perfect sense, he more than doubled his take for the whole month in the last fews hours of the last day before a cut off for his campaign reporting, to bolster what would have been a media savagery if he was within a few mil of McCain..

That doesn’t look suspicious at all. Sure, a million people sent in 25 dollars in the span of a few hours because they got an email, sounds totally reasonable. *rolling the ole eyes*

saus on July 21, 2008 at 2:38 PM

Limerick on July 21, 2008 at 2:28 PM

Well, according to the story:

McCain in June spent $16 million on advertising, compared to Obama’s reported $5 million. Meanwhile, Obama’s payroll expenses amounted to $2.3 million while McCain’s hovered around $724,000.

The RNC still has a lot more money than the DNC, too.

reaganaut on July 21, 2008 at 2:39 PM

So, correct me if I’m wrong, but all donors under $200 are essentially anonymous? Their names don’t need to be reported, but there must be some record keeping, right? I mean … hello?

To date, Obama has reported raising $338 million for his campaign from individuals and 94% of his donations have come in amounts of $200 or less.

reaganaut on July 21, 2008 at 2:43 PM

So, besides changing sides on virtually every subject under the sun, now it turns out B.O. has a knack for exaggerating things, like the amount of donations he raised in one month’s time.

TCP: Typical Chicago Politician

pilamaye on July 21, 2008 at 2:43 PM

Money Nagasaki

Your friends on the left will love your choice of words, as always.

Rick on July 21, 2008 at 2:44 PM

Does anybody know if this means their names, addresses and place of employment does not need to be disclosed?

TheBigOldDog on July 21, 2008 at 2:44 PM

Sorry. The FEC isn’t dead; it’s merely pining for the fjords.

NeighborhoodCatLady on July 21, 2008 at 2:24 PM

If the FEC hadn’t been nailed to the floor it would be lying on its back pushing up daisies…

DocKen on July 21, 2008 at 2:45 PM

reaganaut on July 21, 2008 at 2:39 PM

Thanks! I appreciate the response. It was an honest question. You all know I’m not the most ivy-league HAhead. I just wish more blue-collar, HS diploma, Republicans would check in once in awhile. Not all of us can be CEOs.

Limerick on July 21, 2008 at 2:47 PM

reaganaut on July 21, 2008 at 2:43 PM

Man I hope somebody is digging into this. I really do. When 94% of your money falls under the reporting line that should be seting off alarm bells just like Spitzer’s prostitute transactions set off alarm bells. We have a right to know where that money came from.

TheBigOldDog on July 21, 2008 at 2:50 PM

Limerick on July 21, 2008 at 2:47 PM

I just think it’s odd that McCain outspent Obama 3-1 in advertising. I assume it means he’s getting his message out in ads more, but I don’t live in a battleground state and I don’t watch much TV, so I can’t tell.

reaganaut on July 21, 2008 at 2:52 PM

Look, it may not be what ACTUALLY happened…you know, $25 million in one day…but the IMPORTANT thing is that its what COULD have happened. This is the new standard of journalism, after all…it didn’t quite happen that way, but it could have…it might have, that is what is important here. We need to stay focused and not be distracted.

StaticElectricityMan on July 21, 2008 at 3:01 PM

I think an audit might be in order.

pat on July 21, 2008 at 3:16 PM

Limerick on July 21, 2008 at 2:28 PM

According to the book Freakonomics, it’s somewhat of a myth that a candidate that spends more can buy an election.

I don’t have the book in front of me, but, if I recall correctly, the book said that an unknown candidate can get a bump from large spending as they buy exposure.

However, once the candidate is well known, they gain little to no bump from increased amounts of spending.

JadeNYU on July 21, 2008 at 3:16 PM

30 June 2008 — Obama raises $25 million.
30 June 2008 — Obama raises taxes $25 million.

Dr. Charles G. Waugh on July 21, 2008 at 3:16 PM

Oops!

30 June 2008 — Obama raises $25 million.
30 June 2009 — Obama raises taxes $25 million.

Dr. Charles G. Waugh on July 21, 2008 at 3:17 PM

TheBigOldDog on July 21, 2008 at 2:50 PM

If he’s raised $338 million and 94% of it falls below the $200 mark, that means (assuming everyone donated up to the $200 limit) that he’s got roughly 1,588,600 small donors.

I think though that the average donor amount for Obama is roughly $60. Which means he’s got roughly 5,295,333 small donors.

Do those numbers make sense to those of you with more knowledge of the number of small donors that a campaign usually has?

JadeNYU on July 21, 2008 at 3:27 PM

Regardless of where all Barry’s bucks came from, where’s his check to Herself to help her stop all the annoying phone calls from creitors?

GeneSmith on July 21, 2008 at 3:29 PM

I don’t feel so alone anymore with my doubts on the validity of the Bambi’s donations. What did you expect? Honesty in their fund raising? Hello…this guy has been studying the Clintons and just came up with a better plan via the internet and the “small” donations loop hole.

Oleta on July 21, 2008 at 3:31 PM

Man they got Soros to right up $21 in $200 checks? He must have spent over $100,000 in ink and checks just for that.

Rbastid on July 21, 2008 at 3:32 PM

Is anyone ever going to look into where Obama’s money is coming from?

blue13326 on July 21, 2008 at 3:38 PM

What’s that old saying? If it sounds too good to be true it probably is.

jeanie on July 21, 2008 at 3:56 PM

What recession?

Shy Guy on July 21, 2008 at 2:07 PM

Man these poor liberals have tons of money to just throw down the Obama money hole.. and they want “free” health care… LMAO..

Oh but they don’t have jobs, and the economy is horrible! LMAO

Chakra Hammer on July 21, 2008 at 4:41 PM

Maybe Obama is getting money from peoples welfare checks..

Chakra Hammer on July 21, 2008 at 4:42 PM

Sounds like a good way to bury checks dated June 30 or earlier but processed July 1 to July 7. A bugle of $3 or $4 million on the last day would show up like a sore thumb if the small donations were distributed evenly across the month as received.

Dusty on July 21, 2008 at 4:48 PM

Well, all this money, meh, might not make a different with a vapid, empty suit candidate. Usually, very BLUE Michigan is wide apart in polling. Today they announced on the news that the MI poll for Obama/McCain is 43 Obama, 41 McCain, margin of error is 4%. Obama should be ahead by 10 or more points, especially with the “mood of the country” if we buy that bull. I have stated here before that I think MI is in play this year for the first time since Reagan. McCain has been advertising heavily here and the Vets for Freedom is also advertising here a lot this past week. There are NO Obama signs in yards or on bumper stickers.

karenhasfreedom on July 21, 2008 at 11:21 PM

Obama raises $25 million … in one day; Update: Story debunked

For what they’re worth, the Federal Elections Commission have their heads up camels rectums.

byteshredder on July 21, 2008 at 11:40 PM