New McCain ad: “Pump”

posted at 12:05 pm on July 21, 2008 by Allahpundit

Possibly the first political spot in history to feature ecstatic cheers for the other guy on the soundtrack. Any ad that leverages the GOP’s advantage on drilling is a good ad, I guess, but this one does too much and too little, neglecting to hammer the Dems on that gas-tax hike they’re flirting with and seemingly blaming the global spike in oil prices squarely on, um, Barack Obama. (Maybe he is omnipotent.) Also, as a simple factual matter, it’s not true that Obama says no to independence from foreign oil: It’s that he wants independence from foreign oil exclusively through a costly transition to alternative fuels that may or may not work, with no plan to boost oil supplies in the interim in case it doesn’t. To-may-to, to-mah-to?

Comments

“Don’t hope for more energy, vote for it.”

I like it.

forest on July 21, 2008 at 12:08 PM

To-may-to, to-mah-to?

Bing!

This is truly “saying no to independence from foreign oil”, so as a simple factual matter, he’s nuts.

Jaibones on July 21, 2008 at 12:09 PM

Obama- needs an oil change.

profitsbeard on July 21, 2008 at 12:10 PM

Speaking of Drilling…

My buddy Uncle Fred wanted to thank you guys. You wiped him out last week on the DRILL NOW Bumperstickers. But he’s got more ($3 no S&H) and had to use a different URL. Here it is

deedtrader on July 21, 2008 at 12:11 PM

I like the ad but I think McCain’s continued opposition to drilling in ANWR makes his position kind of weak. It’s great that he’s turned toward off-shore drilling, but he needs to make a point to put everything on the table – including ANWR.

TheNolan on July 21, 2008 at 12:11 PM

On the other hand, how does McCain square this seemingly conservative, pro-drilling bravado with his actual Caribou-hugging, anti-drilling, ANWR position?

Isn’t he setting himself up for someone (important) to ask him that question at an inconvenient time and place?

Jaibones on July 21, 2008 at 12:12 PM

“Don’t hope for more energy, vote for it.”
I like it.
forest on July 21, 2008 at 12:08 PM

Just like his previous “Don’t hope for a better life, vote for one” ad.

Kinda nice to use Obama’s own slogans against him.

wise_man on July 21, 2008 at 12:12 PM

deedtrader on July 21, 2008 at 12:11 PM

What is this, Craig’s List? While we’re at it, does he has the Refine Now! bumper stickers?

Jaibones on July 21, 2008 at 12:14 PM

(does he has? Good Lord…)

Jaibones on July 21, 2008 at 12:14 PM

My Uncle’s a dentist, he wants to know if he can use the “Drill Now” logo as well.

MarkTheGreat on July 21, 2008 at 12:15 PM

neglecting to hammer the Dems on that gas-tax hike they’re flirting with

Give them enough rope to hang themselves. I’ll fall out of my chair laughing if it makes it to a floor vote. When your opponent is hurting himself, don’t say anything to stop him.

trubble on July 21, 2008 at 12:16 PM

“We’re sorry, this video is no longer available”

Wow, Barry can reach across oceans nw?? What a guy!

E9RET on July 21, 2008 at 12:16 PM

Jaibones on July 21, 2008 at 12:12 PM

McCain said he supported continental shelf drilling. I think his previous statements to the contrary were made several years ago, and he can defend them by saying that what made sense then at $2.50/gal gas doesn’t make sense now at $4-5/gal gas. It’s a change in position, which could be construed as opportunism, but it’s a defensible one. Obama doesn’t have the same defense because he’s consistently opposed drilling and is going to have to flip-flop on it within the next sixty days.

Outlander on July 21, 2008 at 12:18 PM

needs an oil change

Speaking of oil change, can we get more coverage of the cat fight between Danica Patrick and Milka Duno at IndyCar? It’s certainly more interesting than catfight between McCain and Obama…

IntheNet on July 21, 2008 at 12:18 PM

not a bad ad.

trailortrash on July 21, 2008 at 12:18 PM

Obama could be one of the biggest marketing scams ever perpetrated on the American people by the MSM. Without the internet, this embarrassing rookie would be a slam dunk for president. If the Republicans cannot present the truth to the American people on this shell, then they don’t deserve to be elected and the Americans will get what they deserve for not knowing how to preserve their country and its values.

“A great civilization cannot be conquered from without until it destroys itself from within.” ~~Ariel Durant

volsense on July 21, 2008 at 12:23 PM

I like it.

Note to John McCain: Go to ANWR. Do a long shot from far away, then have the shot close in on where you are standing on the mudhole that we want to drill. Educate the American people by telling them that if ANWR is the size of a football field, the footprint to drill is the size of one football, and that the drill site is not the picturesque place Sierra Club shows…those sites will not be touched because there’s no oil there. Then show pic’s of all the caribou that hang out along the pipeline like it’s Starbucks (caribou love the heat off the pipeline…the herds have substantially increased around it.)

And do some straight talk. State you were against drilling ANWR at $19 a barrel when it wasn’t environmentally safe, but at $130 a barrel coupled with new technologies to drill without harm to the environment, we need to keep the $70 billion at home, stop putting $ into the hands of our enemies, create jobs, be the world’s largest exporter of energy, and do all of this while developing alternative energy sources which will have downward pressure on the marketplace to drop the price of a gallon of gas within one year.

Ending tag line: “Let’s show the world the greatness, the ingenuity, and the resolve of the American people, the greatest country in the history of the world.”

JustTruth101 on July 21, 2008 at 12:26 PM

B.O. does not want to drill. He just has to raise his hands to the heavens as the oil naturally erupts out of the ground, while the joyous sounds of HALLEJUHAH echo over the horizon.

pilamaye on July 21, 2008 at 12:29 PM

Very good ad. The mob’s chanting of the Obamessiah’s name is super-creepy in the commercial, just like it is in person. The soundtrack and video edits are chaotic, disjointed, ominous when it’s about Obama and then it resolves into steady calm when McCain arrives onscreen.

This is less about the wonky details than it is about the underlying emotion.

Gilda on July 21, 2008 at 12:29 PM

JustTruth101 on July 21, 2008 at 12:26 PM

i like that allot, anyway to actually get this idea to the McC camp?

trailortrash on July 21, 2008 at 12:30 PM

JustTruth101 on July 21, 2008 at 12:26 PM

I love that idea.

wise_man on July 21, 2008 at 12:37 PM

trailortrash on July 21, 2008 at 12:30 PM

I’m taking finals this week, but over the weekend I was thinking about starting a YouTube channel where we (by we I mean anybody who wants to play) makes mock ups of ads for McCain then emails the campaign…I don’t know how else to get their attention. My donations are measly (all I can afford) and I thought the YouTube idea would be more fun.

My mock ups will be the cheapest storyboarding you’ve ever seen…for example, my ANWR ad wil lbe made as follows in 30 minutes or less: I’ll print out a pic of McCain, a mountain, and a caribou, and put them on a white sheet, then “shoot” the ad with my cell phone.

JustTruth101 on July 21, 2008 at 12:37 PM

I liked it.

Maxx on July 21, 2008 at 12:38 PM

I have to go back to studying…but one last comment before I go: You know what the biggest problem with my mock ad is, right? It’s that McCain still hasn’t said he wants to drill ANWR…maybe Mitt can change his mind…

JustTruth101 on July 21, 2008 at 12:40 PM

I also think it would be a great ad if McCain would get on board with ANWR. Sure, he might have enough ammo to respond when people ask him how he can say he supports expanded drilling but not in ANWR by pointing to his newly created off-shore credentials, but the nail in Obama’s coffin is ANWR – and he’s missing the opportunity.

TheNolan on July 21, 2008 at 12:41 PM

Very good bad ad – emotionally effective, and may force the O-team to address the issue directly. It’s a bit below the belt and does say too much – since it may strike people as absurd to blame high gas prices on O-ba-ma alone or mainly – but there is an element of truth to it, in that a firm and immediate kitchen sink bipartisan commitment to increase supply would very likely affect price from day 1.

The theme that someone at another site recommended, and that the McCain camp has come close to embracing, is that when it comes to the biggest issues and biggest decisions, Obama is the “no, we can’t” candidate. He and the Democrats predicted the Surge would fail, proclaimed the war lost, tried to ensured failure and defeat, and still refuse to acknowledge that victory in our grasp. He and the Democrats predict that drilling and other measures will fail, and have pursued policies to ensure supply shortages: “He said we couldn’t win in Iraq, and he was wrong. Now he says we can’t win on energy, and he’s wrong about that, too.”

CK MacLeod on July 21, 2008 at 12:42 PM

JustTruth101 on July 21, 2008 at 12:26 PM

Great advice. Let’s hope somebody in McCain’s camp takes it.

AZCoyote on July 21, 2008 at 12:47 PM

CK MacLeod on July 21, 2008 at 12:42 PM

Obama: Wrong for America.

AZCoyote on July 21, 2008 at 12:49 PM

JustTruth101 on July 21, 2008 at 12:37 PM

People have previously mentioned that the area in ANWR that they would need to drill is obviously small as compared to the entire area. To put it into perspective, If ANWAR was the size of a tennis court, then that area needed would be about the size of a postage stamp. I would like to see a quick but effective spot where the camera focuses on a postage stamp surrounded by a green background, and the camera rises as a person who is standing on the tennis court, near the stamp and delivers the message. All the while the camera raises up until it can see the entire tennis court. The spot ends with the tennis court, the very small head and shoulders of the person looking up as they speak, and the now hardly distinguishable little dot of a stamp that is now lost in a field of green.

And of course, with the message that is along the lines that the sooner we start, the sooner the oil will flow – and that when speculators know that the supply is going to go up, that the market might lower the price in anticipation (as they always raise the price in anticipation that supply is going down.)

wise_man on July 21, 2008 at 12:51 PM

I like it.

bopbottle on July 21, 2008 at 12:55 PM

Obama definitely wants to drill, he just hasn’t seen the latest polls. Is the American voters so dense as to vote for a bobble-head doll like Obama? Maybe that would replace bumper stickers? Bobble-head dolls for people’s dashboards.

volsense on July 21, 2008 at 12:57 PM

someone should email all these comments to the McCain campaign – good ideas here!

HawaiiLwyr on July 21, 2008 at 12:58 PM

I also liked the more nuanced message in the ad: Obamamania is just that – a mania that does not involve thought or reason.

The “O-bam-a” chanting at the beginning should hit home with middle-of-the-road voters who are starting to get creeped-out by all the fainting and journalists with tingly legs etc.

forest on July 21, 2008 at 1:06 PM

Please accept my apology. Apparently someone was offended by my post of the link above. FYI: Uncle Fred’s Attic is a small online store owned by a conservative elderly lady named Jean (who will be 80 next March) in Kansas City trying to supplement her income. I was just trying to help her out. Sorry to offend.

deedtrader on July 21, 2008 at 1:08 PM

trubble on July 21, 2008 at 12:16 PM

If your opponents are busily intent on committing suicide there is no reasonable purpose served in expending your ammunition nor exposing your position to incoming. Cheering them on might seem inappropriate, but effective.

Yoop on July 21, 2008 at 1:10 PM

McCain needs a serious ‘surge’ on energy.

tarpon on July 21, 2008 at 1:12 PM

I’m sorry, but when I look at McCain, all I see is amnesty.

It’s like a big red “A” in the middle of his forehead.

saiga on July 21, 2008 at 1:21 PM

It would have been better if they used a modern fuel pump.

SoulGlo on July 21, 2008 at 1:26 PM

Gotta love McDrillin!

Dpet on July 21, 2008 at 1:28 PM

Put Palin on the ticket and turn her loose. A nice ad of her dropping hickory chips on the coals under the caribou steaks will put some much needed GAS in Johnny Mac’s tank.

Limerick on July 21, 2008 at 1:28 PM

’m sorry, but when I look at McCain, all I see is amnesty.
It’s like a big red “A” in the middle of his forehead.
saiga on July 21, 2008 at 1:21 PM

Thank God there are more sane voters than you who are capable of seeing the big picture.

Unlike you.

wise_man on July 21, 2008 at 1:42 PM

Nice! DITTO Palin on the Tix!

Dread Pirate Roberts VI on July 21, 2008 at 1:43 PM

Pump everything: Follow the Clinton practice.

Dr. Charles G. Waugh on July 21, 2008 at 2:04 PM

Not bad. I’m hoping McCain will become more aggressive and hard hitting… soon.

petefrt on July 21, 2008 at 2:18 PM

I heard The One is going to be in Jordan: What a great place to explain that unlike his opponnent, he’s always been for drilling.

EconomicNeocon on July 21, 2008 at 2:52 PM

Pump it! LOUDER!!!!!

Black Eyed Peas – Pump It

Chakra Hammer on July 21, 2008 at 4:45 PM

It’s subliminal! The chanting . . the gas pump. . . now I know why whenever I get gas and sigh at the price I feel this anger at the dems and fear that Obama will win. . . it’s subliminal!

- The Cat