Obama “infuriated” at conservatives for criticizing his wife; Update: Washington GOP goes after Michelle

posted at 3:15 pm on July 17, 2008 by Allahpundit

We’ve been through this before but there’s a precious bit in the new Glamour piece that demands quoting. Every time he breaks his arm patting the left on the back for its supposed civility, I find myself perversely wishing Cindy McCain would say something nutty and trigger a hypocrisy supernova as they all pile on.

GLAMOUR: An AP poll shows that while the positive ratings on Michelle are higher than those of Cindy McCain, her negative ratings are higher as well. I’m curious about how as a husband that makes you feel. Does it mystify you? And what do you want to say to those Americans who don’t know the woman that you know?

SENATOR OBAMA: It’s infuriating, but it’s not surprising, because let’s face it: What happened was that the conservative press—Fox News and the National Review and columnists of every ilk—went fairly deliberately at her in a pretty systematic way…and treated her as the candidate in a way that you just rarely see the Democrats try to do against Republicans. And I’ve said this before: I would never have my campaign engage in a concerted effort to make Cindy McCain an issue, and I would not expect the Democratic National Committee or people who were allied with me to do it. Because essentially, spouses are civilians. They didn’t sign up for this. They’re supporting their spouse. So it took a toll. If you start being subjected to rants by Sean Hannity and the like, day in day out, that’ll drive up your negatives.

She’s not a “civilian” if she’s out on the trail promising that you’re going to immanentize the eschaton, champ. Riddle me this: How is Michelle O any more or less of a “civilian” than Jeremiah Wright, whom Obama concedes is fair game and a “legitimate issue” per their relationship? Wright’s not delivering campaign speeches on Obama’s behalf and surely his views, while arguably a proxy for some of Obama’s own, aren’t as reliable a proxy as Michelle’s. The point in criticizing her isn’t to go after the opponent’s wife for the sport of doing it, it’s to highlight what may or may not be an insight into the opponent himself. It’s really an attack on him, in other words — a dumb attack, since it lets him appeal to women voters by playing the angry husband, but an attack on him all the same.

Update: Looks familiar.

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2

Tsk, tsk.

TSK = Tough Shit, Kid

mojo on July 17, 2008 at 4:00 PM

Now, that’s funny.

Sir Napsalot on July 17, 2008 at 4:42 PM

I judge her on the content of her character, and I judge her guilty, spoiled, and pompus.

Cowgirl up, Obama.

saiga on July 17, 2008 at 4:48 PM

Michelle-O simply radiates, radiates the bitter anti-American militancy of her black liberation theology.

petefrt on July 17, 2008 at 4:49 PM

I wonder if Comrade Obama realizes that most American’s find him and his wife’s view of freedom and liberty to be offensive to them?

These two are the most pompous arrogant snobs to ever seek the

tarpon on July 17, 2008 at 4:56 PM

I’m, like, soooooooooooo impressed that Obambi can talk tough to the chic at Glamour about his, well, rather manly wife (but, whatever).

We can all rest assured that if Obama doesn’t bitch slap rogue nations, his wife will.

Kewl, eh?

/sarc

Cody1991 on July 17, 2008 at 4:59 PM

Thanks for running the WSRP ad…

HotAirJosef on July 17, 2008 at 5:04 PM

Perhaps she should stop making speeches political in nature to back her husband if she wants to stay out of criticism. Perhaps she should not be saying stupid things that make True blooded Americans cringe. After the clinton years it put things into perspective just how a spouse CAN get involved *cough* mrs. clinton and healthcare *cough*. I don’t want to see the likes of michelle obama going anywhere near that whitehouse with the strange crap she spews.

Who on earth wants this wussy boy in office? My lord all he can do is whine to the press about them making fun of his ears and now he’s whining to them about his wife’s big mouth. obama, get a clue, iran is going to chew you up and spit you out when you whine. It’s unAmerican to whine.

diaphanous on July 17, 2008 at 5:05 PM

Jesse passes scissors to Sean Hannity…………..

ackrite55 on July 17, 2008 at 5:26 PM

He didn’t seem to have much trouble criticizing Bill Clinton when he was the “civilian” “spouse” in question. And Michelle has consistently behaved a whole lot more like Bill than she does Cindy.

Bill’s not as much of a “sweetie” though.

Tanya on July 17, 2008 at 5:27 PM

Bill’s not as much of a “sweetie” though.

Tanya on July 17, 2008 at 5:27 PM

Yes. Maybe a bit of soft sexism of low expectations.

mikeyboss on July 17, 2008 at 5:35 PM

Michelle Obama grew up in a working class neighborhood in Chicago and wnet to that city’s public schools. Meanwhile, Barack attended private school in Hawaii.

What’s he defending her for? She’s tougher than he is.

radjah shelduck on July 17, 2008 at 5:54 PM

Vote for Obama. Along with all rest of the “Free stuff” he is promising, what I really want is a pair of those $600 earrings from his wife!!

Bicyea on July 17, 2008 at 5:57 PM

I’m a civilian, and a Republican, and out of work.

Yet somehow I’m to blame for global warming, trouble in the middle east, and racism.

Go figure.

madmonkphotog on July 17, 2008 at 6:28 PM

Some one needs to walk up to him and hold out their hand and tell him to cry them a handful. Rhymes with wussy.

thekingtut on July 17, 2008 at 6:45 PM

Are we sure that Barack’s not Muslin? he seems to share their trait of being perpetually offended by everything.

TooTall on July 17, 2008 at 7:29 PM

Remember the stories about Laura Bush being a murderer? I do. I read the fluff piece at Glamour. I also read the comments. What kind of women read Glamour magazine? It doesn’t take long to figure it out from the comment section.

Glynn on July 17, 2008 at 8:54 PM

She is purely and simply a hard core Marxist. If BO doesn’t like it he can stick it in his ear or the orifice of his choice.

rplat on July 17, 2008 at 9:33 PM

Dear messiah, get used to, and over it. Your bitchy wife has stuck her puss out there, and is getting beat up by good Americans that are questioning her intent, patriotism, and veracity. TS!

byteshredder on July 17, 2008 at 9:52 PM

I think I’m finally understanding the complexities of the Obama’s relationship.

I wonder if he met her in a club down in old soho
Where you drink champagne and it tastes just like cherry-cola?

Alden Pyle on July 17, 2008 at 10:30 PM

Well…maybe you can express yourself however you wish, I cannot. As a white man I go through life constantly proving that I am not racist/sexist. This is my life in the workplace. I am subject to comments by men and women that, for me, would be inappropriate and a fireable offense, yet they have no such restrictions and are visibly puzzled by my uncomfortable reaction. Because I must live by a higher standard, I can’t be part of the club. That’s ok. I will overcome. That is the way of my people.

ronsfi on July 17, 2008 at 10:35 PM

This is racist. Just like that Tennessee GOP ad.

Just like that NC GOP ad.

Raaaaaacist!

misterpeasea on July 17, 2008 at 10:50 PM

and trigger a hypocrisy supernova as they all pile on.

hahahaha Allah sure can turn a phrase. LOL

inviolet on July 17, 2008 at 11:02 PM

I don’t think it’s a dumb attack at all–she’s a perfectly legitimate target. If she wants to run around and express controversial opinions then she leaves herself open to criticism. If the Obamas don’t want her subjected to that criticism then she should simply keep her radical views to herself.

It is, in fact, necessary to challenge her on what she said, for conservatives must constantly re-assert the standards of the country. By doing so and making it clear that her beliefs are unacceptable, those beliefs have been shamed publicly. Had the critics been silent just out of fear of making Barack stronger, anti-Americanism in this country would be a step closer to legitimacy. It would be “cool.” The criticism is working as far as I can see, since Michelle has apparently been keeping quiet lately and Barack has noticeably refrained from defending the things she actually said.

As for Barack trying to portray himself as an angry husband, from what I’ve heard on the radio, Hannity has already set the record straight on that and even challenged him to appear on his show(s).

In any case, all this posturing by Barack will only appeal to his supporters anyway. They like the feeling of victimization. Otherwise, no real harm done.

R. Waher on July 18, 2008 at 12:16 AM

the orifice of his choice.

rplat on July 17, 2008 at 9:33 PM

That’s disgusting! I better not have any dreams about it.

platypus on July 18, 2008 at 1:02 AM