University apologizes to student after accusing him of … “openly reading” a book

posted at 7:33 pm on July 15, 2008 by Allahpundit

Behold the ne plus ultra of campus tolerance, in which the act of reading scholarly material now constitutes an actionable offense. Our culprit? A student-janitor named Keith Sampson. His weapon? “Notre Dame vs. the Klan: How the Fighting Irish Defeated the Ku Klux Klan.” The charge? Racial harassment, for thoughtlessly brandishing this anti-Klan book with an image of Klansmen on the cover where others might see it. The AP story describes what happens next, but to get the full Orwellian flavor you need to read Dorothy Rabinowitz’s op-ed. Quote:

Mr. Sampson stood accused of “openly reading the book related to a historically and racially abhorrent subject in the presence of your Black co-workers.” The statement, signed by chief affirmative action officer Lillian Charleston, asserted that her office had completed its investigation of the charges brought by Ms. Nakea William, his co-worker – that Mr. Sampson had continued, despite complaints, to read a book on this “inflammatory topic.”…

Ludicrous harassment cases are not rare at our institutions of higher learning. But there was undeniably something special – something pure, and glorious – in the clarity of this picture. A university had brought a case against a student on grounds of a book he had been reading.

The charge of, ahem, “openly reading” was dropped after FIRE made a stink — but the accusation of “conduct” amounting to racial harassment wasn’t. What was that conduct? Back to Rabinowitz:

What that conduct was, the affirmative action officer did not reveal – but she had delivered the message rewriting the history of the case. Absolutely and for certain there had been no problem about any book he had been reading…

This means, I asked one [school official], that Mr. Sampson could have been reading about the adventures of Jack and Jill and he still would have been charged? Yes. What, then, was the offense? “Harassing behavior.” While reading the book? The question led to careful explanations hopeless in tone – for good reason – and well removed from all semblance of reason. What the behavior was, one learned, could never be revealed.

There was, of course, no other offensive behavior; had there been any it would surely have appeared in the first letter’s gusher of accusation. Like those prosecutors who invent new charges when the first ones fail in court, the administrators threw in the mysterious harassment count.

They were embarrassed at being exposed by FIRE (and the ACLU, believe it or not) so they evidently decided to save face by smearing Sampson with a whispering campaign about other, unspecified instances of “harassment” he’s supposedly guilty of — and as an Orwellian flourish, according to this FIRE post, they won’t even tell Sampson himself what the charges are. I’m honestly speechless, if not surprised. Do note the parallel, though, with the uproar over the New Yorker cover. In both cases, despite the authors’ good faith being clear to all but the most abject imbecile, the “progressive” instinct is to protect the imbecile and punish the author by suppressing his work. It’s a more benign (but not much more) version of the Mohammed cartoon fiasco, except instead of terrorists exercising the heckler’s veto, this time it’s idiots. Exit quotation: “Take that, you broad-minded and humorous rabble!”

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2

451 violations will not be tolerated.

Limerick on July 15, 2008 at 7:34 PM

Tort Action for false light!!!

Troy Rasmussen on July 15, 2008 at 7:39 PM

This guy should sue the CRAP out of the University.

Troy Rasmussen on July 15, 2008 at 7:40 PM

But… but… its intolerant to question our intolerant actions!

For verily, the act in question is so abhorent that it can’t even be discussed in public… he is just guilty, pure and simple… its so abhorent that he can’t defend himself… for…

he’s a WITCH… Burn him burn him…

Romeo13 on July 15, 2008 at 7:42 PM

I think it is safe to say that this Political Correctness PC crapola-rama has now officially reached the zenith of insanity.

pilamaye on July 15, 2008 at 7:42 PM

Maybe, it was a Notre Dame vs. Purdue thang?

Blake on July 15, 2008 at 7:46 PM

Todd Tucker, who wrote the book in question, had this to say (via Amazon):

Freedom of Speech controversy at IUPUI
4:05 PM PST, March 7, 2008
Some of you may have heard about a recent travesty at IUPUI – a major, state-funded institution of higher learning in Indianapolis. A student-employee was found guilty of racial harassment for . . . .reading my book, Notre Dame vs the Klan.

Anybody taking five minutes to assess the contents of its page on Amazon could determine rapidly that the book is enthusiastically anti-Klan. You could perhaps argue that this shouldn’t matter – a college campus ought to be a safe haven for exploration of ideas. But I do think it makes this situation even more outrageous that the good people at IUPUI’s affirmative action office didn’t care about that. My more recent book has as its heroes religious pacifists during World War II – I think it’s safe to conclude I don’t have any kind of right-wing axe to grind.

The stance of the Affirmative Action Office, it appears, is that any act is racial harrassment if they call it racial harassment.

This incident is getting a lot of attention, as it should. NUVO, the independent paper out of Indianpolis, gets credit for breaking the story. You can go to their website and read actual copies of the letters from the Affirmative Action Office. They are every bit as ridiculous as I describe.

laelaps on July 15, 2008 at 7:47 PM

FLASH FLASH FLASH

Historical Topics Now On The ‘Do Not Teach’ List:

1. Enslavement of Jews in Egypt
2. Nazi Germany, ergo, WWII
3. The American Civil War (slavery again)
4. The Crusades
5. Irish Bashing in Early America

madmonkphotog on July 15, 2008 at 7:47 PM

Tell me again, what’s the value of a college education with the P.C. insanity poisoning discourse?

If someone can experience a trial out of Kafka just because of reading a book on his spare time, what else (or worse) should we expect of these Marxist academia dictators?

newton on July 15, 2008 at 7:51 PM

Something has to be done about these universities. Taxpayers pick up a huge chuck of this asshatery. We ought to be able to go in and dump some college presidents and other incomptents. I do realize that that would result in most of the staff getting sacked. Time to start anew.

thatcher on July 15, 2008 at 7:52 PM

laelaps on July 15, 2008 at 7:47 PM

Can you give us a link to it? Thanks! :-)

newton on July 15, 2008 at 7:52 PM

SECOND LOOK AT BOOK BURNING?

Weight of Glory on July 15, 2008 at 7:54 PM

This guy needs Ezra Levant to argue his case for him. I note thought control similarities. It’s a shame this happened right before Miz Lillian’s sudden retirement on April 28th. Now, she’ll never be able to clear her name.
Oh, well,..perhaps a civil suit of some kind would give her the opportunity under cross.

a capella on July 15, 2008 at 7:55 PM

Incredible.

Thankfully, FIRE was on the case. They are doing important work trying to beat back the ignorant fools who seem to be intent on making sure the U.S. Constitution is neither studied nor applied to any U.S. institution of higher learning.

AZCoyote on July 15, 2008 at 7:56 PM

the janitor was over heard saying that he is not going to vote for obama. thank you big brother

custer on July 15, 2008 at 7:57 PM

“I can candidly say that we regret this situation took place,” Bantz wrote.

I cannot stand these non-apology “apologies” that seem to be trendy now. How about “I’m sorry my University tried to have you expelled for reading an anti-KKK book.” I’m sure even Sampson regrets the situation took place; that’s not an apology.

bigbeas on July 15, 2008 at 7:57 PM

Note that the AP still categorized the Chancellor’s statement as an apology.

bigbeas on July 15, 2008 at 7:58 PM

KILL WHITEY! C-I-L-L the white Devil

custer on July 15, 2008 at 7:58 PM

I notice that the total ignorance of the co-worker who brought the complaint and the investigator who did the investigating is totally left out of this… So an ignonant person’s misunderstanding caused an innocent person this much grief? We all have to be worried about this… oh and this happened a institution of supposed higher learning…sigh…

CCRWM on July 15, 2008 at 8:02 PM

I suspect (hope?) that this sorry affair came about because it occurred outside of normal university legal channels – either because the “offender” was in a union, or because the chief affirmative action officer was insufficiently supervised.

Infidoll on July 15, 2008 at 8:05 PM

Good God, I once read “mein kampf” and “The Rise And the Fall of the Third Reich.” Does that mean I should have someone come and accuse me of being a Nazi?

This coworker could have helped avoid this whole thing by asking what the book is about. Or you know, reading the entire bloody title.

mjk on July 15, 2008 at 8:05 PM

The University response was clearly wrong, and free speech obviously applies to University employees and students.

But.

Am I the only one who thinks, even if he had the right to do so (which he did), it was a really bad idea to sit in a breakroom, around African-American coworkers (if memory serves me correctly), reading a book with a Klan picture on the front?

cs89 on July 15, 2008 at 8:06 PM

mjk on July 15, 2008 at 8:05 PM

The thought police are on their way now. Prepare your confession.

bigbeas on July 15, 2008 at 8:08 PM

I can pretty much picture how this whole thing went down. It’s a situation borne of ignorance and emotionalism.

baldilocks on July 15, 2008 at 8:08 PM

cs89 on July 15, 2008 at 8:06 PM

Last time I checked, there’s something called the First Amendment, thank you very much.

Besides. I want that co-worker who did that to the poor man exposed. That should make him use reason before he ever does that to anyone again.

newton on July 15, 2008 at 8:09 PM

Again, “Rise and Fall of the Third Reich” had a swastika on the front. Should I avoid enriching my life with a book because people might judge the book by its cover? And thus judge me to be a Nazi?

The university sucks. If the guy was reading a book called “Die (bad word for black folk) die” by David Duke, he deserved it. But he wasn’t and the people who accused him of all sorts of nefarious deeds are morons.

mjk on July 15, 2008 at 8:09 PM

baldilocks on July 15, 2008 at 8:08 PM

Absolutely! I bolded those two words because that’s what the Marxist mindset counts on.

newton on July 15, 2008 at 8:10 PM

The ironic thing, is that it sounds like it would be a very interesting book and more so for those from Indiana.

Yes. You think black people aren’t aware of the Klan? Couldn’t read the title and figure it’s anti-Klan? Wouldn’t be interested in the topic of the book? Really, black people aren’t delicate flowers.

Blake on July 15, 2008 at 8:12 PM

Off with his head.

Verdict first, charges later.

MB4 on July 15, 2008 at 8:12 PM

Unfortunately our education system has been doing this for the past few decades…but they do it more on the sly side. They make sure the text books are watered down. After all, if a lie is told enough times, many people will never change their opinion once the real facts get out.

They’ve become more about propaganda than encouraging free thought based on facts.

diaphanous on July 15, 2008 at 8:13 PM

Good thing it wasn’t the Bible-Sampson would have been expelled, given the “Duke Lacrosse treatment” if not actually burned at the stake by rabid academics.

This appears to be a case where the full time (read non-student) janitors wanted to stick it to college boy.

highhopes on July 15, 2008 at 8:13 PM

cs89 on July 15, 2008 at 8:06 PM

I see where you’re coming from, but no it’s not. Just because one person is an idiot and complained doesn’t mean that all black people are the same.

If you (rhetorical ‘you’) curbed all your activities due the presence of ignoramuses, you could never leave the house. And you’d still be stuck with at least one ignoramus. (Hey, we’re all ignorant of something.)

baldilocks on July 15, 2008 at 8:14 PM

Wait a tick,so was this a moving violation,I mean
was he walking around with said book cover exposed,

or

was this a parking violation,of said book,with the
book cover open,while sitting,and yet taunting the
affirmitive action officer! haha

canopfor on July 15, 2008 at 8:14 PM

And as a side note, I looked up the banned books list and was laughing hysterically to see that a lot of the books I cherished growing up were on it now. Oye!

diaphanous on July 15, 2008 at 8:15 PM

Can you give us a link to it? Thanks! :-)

newton on July 15, 2008 at 7:52 PM

Here you go …

laelaps on July 15, 2008 at 8:15 PM

Our tax dollars at work.

jgapinoy on July 15, 2008 at 8:16 PM

diaphanous on July 15, 2008 at 8:13 PM

Ding!

baldilocks on July 15, 2008 at 8:16 PM

BURN THE BOOKS!!! BURN THE BOOKS!!! BURN THE BOOKS!!!

Classic “liberal education” is now an enemy of modern “Liberalism”!!!

It is no longer possible to parody this University, which through extreme PC policy has now outlawed both study and thought.

landlines on July 15, 2008 at 8:16 PM

baldilocks, correct. We have become so overly sensitive to “others” that we now are losing what makes us, us.

diaphanous on July 15, 2008 at 8:17 PM

The klan use to be big in Indiana through at least he 1980s when I left the mid-west. Someone showed me an old University of Illinois year book from 1923. In the photos of varies university sponsered clubs, there was the KKK. We thought we would die from embarrassment. But, the KKK was very big during that time. How many presidents and judges were members in the 1920s? It’s historical fact and should not be swept under the carpet b/c some people are made to feel uncomfortable. In fact, I would think it was the white people who would feel uncomfortable, not blacks. I think this employee who filed the complaint did so because they could, not because they were offended. The fact that Notre Dame kicked the KKK’s ass, should be inspiring to all.

Blake on July 15, 2008 at 8:18 PM

I see where you’re coming from.

baldilocks on July 15,2008 at 8:14PM.

baldilocks: I do love your logic,it mirrors mine.haha :)

canopfor on July 15, 2008 at 8:20 PM

Correction: It’s historical fact and should not be swept under the carpet b/c some people may feel uncomfortable.

Blake on July 15, 2008 at 8:20 PM

`But I don’t want to go among mad people,’ Keith Sampson remarked.
`Oh, you can’t help that,’ said chief affirmative action officer Lillian Charleston: `we’re all mad here. I’m mad. You’re mad.’
`How do you know I’m mad?’ said Keith Sampson.
`You must be,’ said chief affirmative action officer Lillian Charlestont, `or you wouldn’t have come here to this University.’
Keith Sampson didn’t think that proved it at all; however, he went on` And how do you know that you’re mad?’
`To begin with,’ said chief affirmative action officer Lillian Charleston, `a dog’s not mad. You grant that?’
`I suppose so,’ said Keith Sampson.
`Well, then,’ chief affirmative action officer Lillian Charleston went on, `you see, a dog growls when it’s angry, and wags its tail when it’s pleased. Now I growl when I should be pleased, and wag my tail when I should be angry. Therefore I’m mad.’

MB4 on July 15, 2008 at 8:21 PM

It is no longer possible to parody this University

landlines on July 15, 2008 at 8:16 PM

I respectfully disagree.

MB4 on July 15, 2008 at 8:25 PM

Chief affirmative action officer Lillian Charleston: `The moral of all this is–Be what you would seem to be–or if you’d like it put more simply–Never imagine yourself not to be otherwise than what it might appear to others that what you were or might have been was not otherwise than what you had been would have appeared to them to be otherwise.’

`I think I should understand that better,’ Keith Sampson said very politely, `if I had it written down: but I can’t quite follow it as you say it.’

`That’s nothing to what I could say if I chose,’ Chief affirmative action officer Lillian Charleston replied, in a pleased tone.

MB4 on July 15, 2008 at 8:31 PM

How many presidents and judges were members in the 1920s?

You mean besides Senator Byrd?

In the 1920s and 1930s the KKK was a social movement not a thing like the current “organization.” Best (but weak) comparison I can come up with is that the KKK was a white Protestant version of the NAACP. Lynchings and cross burnings were not advocated by the rank-and-file membership. In the Midwest (Michigan, Indiana, Ohio) you had to be a member of the KKK to get elected to office. Byrd has used this explanation for his membership and, from my readings, it is probably true. That’s not to excuse Byrd from continuing to use the “N” word.

highhopes on July 15, 2008 at 8:31 PM

Ms. Nakea William, how does it feel being part of a movement that will, in the end, destroy America?

Zorro on July 15, 2008 at 8:34 PM

and the ACLU, believe it or not

Can we please make sure everybody has noticed this?

P.S. Anyone who sees how Affirmative Action actually works in Universities, private or state, will forever oppose it. If not principally then for practical reasons.

It has absolutely nothing to do with lifting the least fortunate, and has everything to do with corruption and stupidity.

freevillage on July 15, 2008 at 8:38 PM

The person who filed the complaint probably couldn’t have been bothered to actually talk to a janitor. A reasonable person would have walked up and casually asked about the book he was reading. Most people are more than happy to discuss their current reading material, often, even when you’re not interested.

DFCtomm on July 15, 2008 at 8:39 PM

Wow. How absurd that a person reading a book about fighting racism is accused of practicing it. What a bunch of moronic university administrator clowns.

Why didn’t the co-workers have the bal*s to simply confront the guy about the book instead of crybabying off to their boss about it? They would have found out what it was actually about. What a bunch of ignorant cry wolf idiots.

Dave Rywall on July 15, 2008 at 8:39 PM

Good thing he wasn’t perusing “Black Holes“.

Then they would have really spaced out.

profitsbeard on July 15, 2008 at 8:40 PM

Lillian Charleston can hardly wait until next January 20th, when Chief Affirmative Action Officer becomes a cabinet-level position….

MrScribbler on July 15, 2008 at 8:42 PM

Seriously though,what are the Universities doing with
these inflammatory books,shouldn’t the lefty’s at these universities have a book code policy in place to avert
these problems!

Here’s an idea at Liberal Universities:

Have booknazi’s stationed at every floor,exits and entrances,if said book contraband is found,then the
student should be expelled on the spot!

And,actually if the Lefty Universities were thinking
straight,they would have a lock down,and go through
every book by book!

And on a Friday night they could have a hotdog and
beer bonfire event,which could double as a book burning,
and thee offending books could be the fuel,its a win/win!
(Snark!)

canopfor on July 15, 2008 at 8:42 PM

Zorro on July 15, 2008 at 8:34 PM

Ms. Nakea William lives in a world of PC. Everything is nonsense. Nothing is what it is, because everything is what it isn’t. And contrary wise, what is, it can’t be. And what it can’t be, it is. You see?

BTW, Zorro, shouldn’t you be carving a *Z* in Ms. Nakea William’s backside about now?

MB4 on July 15, 2008 at 8:42 PM

Good thing he wasn’t perusing “Black Holes“.

Then they would have really spaced out.

profitsbeard on July 15, 2008 at 8:40 PM

Black hole or Black tie affair or Black balled.

Of course, White out, White noise and White lie, all those are OK.

MB4 on July 15, 2008 at 8:47 PM

WOW

Dave Rywall on July 15,2008 at 8:39PM.

Dave Rywall: Dave,its an eye-opener to see that these
tolerate University’s want to turn their
campus’s into a small communist State,its
absolutely mind blowing!

Dontcha think!

canopfor on July 15, 2008 at 8:49 PM

I think I would have said…………. “Excuse me? Come again? You’re charging me with what?”

And then proceeded to shove my book right up this clowns A**……………..!

Seven Percent Solution on July 15, 2008 at 8:49 PM

Dave,its an eye-opener to see that these
tolerate University’s want to turn their
campus’s into a small communist State

canopfor on July 15, 2008 at 8:49 PM

Yes, read the directions and directly you will be directed in the right direction.

MB4 on July 15, 2008 at 8:53 PM

This was on the Headline section earlier today, here’s one of the best comments from that thread:

This is the Left’s vision for America. Wait and see what happens if Obama gets elected. – BigDog

First they came for the books, then they came for the guns, then they came for us …

Tony737 on July 15, 2008 at 8:59 PM

Good thing he wasn’t perusing “Black Holes“. – Profit

You don’t even hafta say black, just say ‘Devil’s food cake’ or Angel’s food cake’ and see what happens to ya!

Tony737 on July 15, 2008 at 9:01 PM

Yes,read the directions and directly you will be directed
in the right direction.

MB4 on July 15,2008 at 8:53PM.

MB4: I re-direct to you,if you’ve been blindfolded and
taken to the secret star chamber(university basement)
then me thinks all the directions would be directed
to be directionless,no?

canopfor on July 15, 2008 at 9:02 PM

It would appear that Ms. Nakea Williams is cut from the same bolt of cloth as those paternalistic souls that want to spare blacks the pain of confronting expressions like “black hole” and words like “niggardly. She probably believes Ebonics is an appropriate form of speech because it would be too painful for young blacks to have to learn the patois of the oppressor.

Seriously, I’m not black but it’s awfully hard for me to imagine the mindset of someone who would be whipped into an emotional frenzy by the sight of a book about the Ku Kux Klan — even if the book actually promoted the Klan. Are there people out there who are so poorly equipped to deal with life that they need the efforts of busybodies like Ms. Wiliams to protect them from the psychic pain of confronting ideas with which they don’t agree?

Cicero43 on July 15, 2008 at 9:05 PM

It was a book! With pages and letters and everything!

Dash on July 15, 2008 at 9:09 PM

then me thinks all the directions would be directed
to be directionless,no?

canopfor on July 15, 2008 at 9:02 PM

Canopfor, where I am, you can’t get here from there.

MB4 on July 15, 2008 at 9:16 PM

Tony737 on July 15, 2008 at 8:59 PM

He who tries to take away my Guns or my Gold and leaves me alive, he knows nothing of Tuco. Nothing.

Tuco on July 15, 2008 at 9:21 PM

Damn it, when are these kids going to learn not to read books and just attend the presentations like they’re supposed to? I bet what really got this kid in trouble was something like this. He was supposed to be at a protest march against the white males who are oppressing everyone in sight.

Snake307 on July 15, 2008 at 9:28 PM

Cicero43 on July 15, 2008 at 9:05 PM

Don’t you mean ideas with which, if they were capable of rational thought, they would probably agree? The offending book, as I believe you point out, was antiKlan.

cs89 on July 15, 2008 at 8:06 PM

He was at a university, for the love of God. If it was a “bad idea” for Sampson to read his (anti-Klan book) there, no place would seem to be safe.

Infidoll on July 15, 2008 at 9:31 PM

Typical PC case. A “minority” screams ‘race’ and the intellectual elite fall all over themselves to apologize, instead of examining the facts of the case and telling the complainer that they are full of shit and to go get a life.

GarandFan on July 15, 2008 at 9:38 PM

MB4 on July 15, 2008 at 8:42 PM

Ha! That’s a lot of carving…

Zorro on July 15, 2008 at 9:43 PM

“Dave,its an eye-opener to see that these
tolerate University’s want to turn their
campus’s into a small communist State,its
absolutely mind blowing!

Dontcha think!”

canopfor on July 15, 2008 at 8:49 PM

——————

?

This is so far from English I don’t have a clue what you’re talking about.

Dave Rywall on July 15, 2008 at 9:44 PM

Do you, as an alumnus of a university, plan to give even a dollar to your alma mater?

That’s a rhetorical question.

jeff_from_mpls on July 15, 2008 at 9:45 PM

Ha! That’s a lot of carving…

Zorro on July 15, 2008 at 9:43 PM

Ms. Nakea William: To University guards: Remember, he is cunning, he is crafty. He’s not just going to walk in here and say ‘Here I am!’
Zorro: Here I am!

MB4 on July 15, 2008 at 9:49 PM

Anybody else remember the story ’bout a black high school kid who refused to read “Tom Sawyer” maybe a year ago?

A black liberal co-worker friend of mine said the student was right for refusing to read that racist book. I said “Have you ever read it?” She said no. I said “It’s about two white kids who think that slavery is totally normal ’cause that’s the world they grew up in, but after befriending a runaway slave named Jim, they start to realize that slavery is wrong.” She just stood there blinking. “Oh, um, I didn’t know that.”

It’s been a long time since I read that book and don’t remember much about it, but that seems to be what I recall the message being. That and a big scarey Indian guy … hey wait a minute! RACIST!

Don’t judge a book by its cover.

Tony737 on July 15, 2008 at 9:50 PM

But.

cs89 on July 15, 2008 at 8:06 PM

Yes. You fucking idiot.

Since you didn’t read the actual story, let me help you: the book is about a bunch of 1920s Notre Dame students who successfully fought against Indiana KKK members. I can’t believe it’s not required reading at IUPUI.

Jaibones on July 15, 2008 at 9:55 PM

This is so far from English I don’t have a clue what you’re talking about.

Dave Rywall on July 15, 2008 at 9:44 PM

That’s because you’re an idiot, and he’s from Canada. Go back to DU and whine about Bush.

Jaibones on July 15, 2008 at 9:58 PM

Zorro: Here I am!

One of the funniest films ever.

I’m glad the university is getting so much bad press for this and that his accuser’s name is being publicized too. They all deserve it.

Bob's Kid on July 15, 2008 at 10:04 PM

Well…consider this “petition” to the University to understand why they do this stupid crap.

Through Our Eyes:
The State of the Black Student at
Indiana University Purdue University Indianapolis
November 2, 2006

Indiana University Purdue University Indianapolis is an urban institution home to less than 2,500 Black students, and continuously dropping. This is do to the fact that the campus reflects a false sense of diversity, respect, and support for its Black student population. IUPUI says it aims to provide for you as a Black student, but in all actuality, it provide “nothing.”

Further down this remarkable document we see such wonders as this:

In addition, IUPUI officials did not communicate with Black students when the Mary Cable Building was demolished to provide more parking spaces. Mary Cable was an elementary
school principal, was the founder and first president of the Indianapolis N.A.A.C.P., and in her honor a plaque in the new Campus Center will be displayed. The Administration says that the Mary Cable building was demolished because it had asbestos, and is was more expensive to renovate the building rather than destroy it and construct a parking lot. One must wonder why was the Mary Cable building left to deteriorate anyway. Why wasn’t it kept up like Cavanaugh
Hall or any other building on campus named after an elitist of the community? It’s because IUPUI doesn’t respect the Black history of the city.

Naturally this sort of illiterate crap has all the white administrators running around like a bunch of children. Here is their response…

On behalf of the campus administration, thank you again for sharing the painful stories of incidents you have experienced on campus. No one deserves to be treated with disrespect; and we are committed to improving conditions for minorities on this campus – together. There are many other important issues that your report raises which my office will continue to review further over time.

Let us plan to meet next week for your feedback on this proposal and action items. If possible it would be quite helpful if we could meet this Wednesday, please let me know the times that could work with your schedule. If meeting on Wednesday is not possible then please send me several dates and times when you are available so we may schedule a meeting.

I look forward to our collaboration for the betterment of the IUPUI campus community.

Sincerely,

Dr. Karen Whitney
Vice Chancellor For Student Life and Diversity
Campus Diversity Officer
Dean of Students
Adjunct Assistant Professor, IU School of Education

Gosh I wonder why this guy got attacked. He is being forced to appease barely literate folks who probably shouldn’t even be in a University. This sort of crap is insulting to the black students who don’t push this marxist crap. And its terribly damaging to all of our abilities to speak our minds.

PierreLegrand on July 15, 2008 at 10:07 PM

If I’m not mistaken, anyway.

But the lesson is the same, regardless.

Bob's Kid on July 15, 2008 at 10:09 PM

Jaibones – ahh I see your level of education has no issues with canopfor’s post. Hooray for you and your massive intellect!

Dave Rywall on July 15, 2008 at 10:10 PM

No one was offended. They were trying to get the old YT fired. He’s 58.

laelaps on July 15, 2008 at 10:12 PM

Maybe the university should give an exam to potential employees to make sure they have basic reading and comprehension skills.

peacenprosperity on July 15, 2008 at 10:13 PM

Actually, I believe that the scary “Injun Joe” was from the book Tom Saywer and the two boys and the slave boy was Huckleberry Finn. – Kid

Thanks, I get those two books mixed up and consider the one and the same. Which boy did Becky Thatcher like, Tom or Huck?

Tony737 on July 15, 2008 at 10:14 PM

The university didn’t want Sen. Byrd’s family upset with them since he’s in ill health.

SouthernGent on July 15, 2008 at 10:15 PM

PierreLegrand on July 15, 2008 at 10:07 PM

Amen. This piss farm of a junior college can’t teach their students how to spell, but simply can’t wait to issue “action items” for the “betterment of the campus community” to a bunch of illiterate race hustlers. Farce.

Jaibones on July 15, 2008 at 10:19 PM

Dave Rywall on July 15, 2008 at 10:10 PM

Shucks. Thanks, Dave.

Jaibones on July 15, 2008 at 10:20 PM

No one was offended. They were trying to get the old YT fired. He’s 58.

laelaps on July 15, 2008 at 10:12 PM

I don’t doubt this.

baldilocks on July 15, 2008 at 10:32 PM

Yes. You f_cking idiot. – Jaibones

What the …? That’s not like you, Jai. What’s up?

Tony737 on July 15, 2008 at 10:36 PM

If’n you struggle to spel
Dave wil screem bloody hel
Riht on Q
He’ll proclaim from his stul
His crap doesn’t stink, it just smells.

Limerick on July 15, 2008 at 10:36 PM

Yet another reason to buy a Kindle. Then nobody knows what you’re reading.

Jim Treacher on July 15, 2008 at 10:37 PM

This is racism, we are now at the point where a white man is not allowed to read a book in a liberal University.

Maxx on July 15, 2008 at 10:58 PM

Dorothy Rabinowitz is one of the very few journalist that is alway worth reading.

Maxx on July 15, 2008 at 11:03 PM

Feeeelings! Wo wo wo feeelings!

Maquis on July 15, 2008 at 11:11 PM

She had meant in that first letter, she said, only to address “conduct” that caused concern among his co-workers. What that conduct was, the affirmative action officer did not reveal – but. . . there had been no problem about any book he had been reading.

The “conduct” that caused concern was that he was reading a book that they didn’t know anything about like. There was no problem with the book he had been reading, it was the conduct of reading the book that was the problem. Got it?

He ought to sue them, and for racial harrassment, because that’s exactly what it was.

smellthecoffee on July 15, 2008 at 11:17 PM

US academia is so intellectually bankrupt that there literally is NO POINT in even attending college if you want to learn anything.

wildcat84 on July 15, 2008 at 11:19 PM

Not to take the thread off topic, but I did find this in Rabinowitz’s article, near the end–

To be sure, the Willie Horton charge has for some time been overshadowed by ominous predictions of all the Swiftboating Republicans are supposed to be readying.

How could Republicans possibly swiftboat Obama? He hasn’t claimed to have done anything! Maybe they could claim he never was a community organizer?

smellthecoffee on July 15, 2008 at 11:25 PM

smellthecoffee on July 15, 2008 at 11:25 PM

Good point. I googled “Nixon orders Obama to Cambodia” and it came up blank.

Limerick on July 15, 2008 at 11:27 PM

That’s not like you, Jai. What’s up?

Tony737 on July 15, 2008 at 10:36 PM

I have a special venom for race hustlers, Tony. This new commenter seems to have refused to even read the story, and then threw in with the nitwits who judged Sampson by a book cover. Not fair.

Jaibones on July 15, 2008 at 11:43 PM

wildcat84 on July 15, 2008 at 11:19 PM

You can say that again. I can actually read the Great Works of Western Civilization at home right now, without the P.C. garbage so abundant at my own college.

newton on July 15, 2008 at 11:46 PM

I have a special venom for race hustlers – Bones

Ah, he prolly deserved it, I’ve just never seen you rip somebody like that before. But it was cool the way you defended CanOp.

Tony737 on July 15, 2008 at 11:56 PM