NYT poll: Majority now believes Obama says what he thinks people want to hear

posted at 8:55 pm on July 15, 2008 by Allahpundit

From tonight’s monster 33-page omnibus poll, the “new politics” halo is officially off. Note the trend:

obama-say.jpg

McCain does almost as badly at 46/49 but then McCain’s not supposed to be a “Lightworker.” It doesn’t end there, either:

flipflop.jpg

His flip-flopping’s penetrated the public consciousness, in other words, but it’s still unclear how much it’s hurt him. For the optimistic view, read this Byron York post quoting a Democratic source on the damage done to Obama’s brand. (Sample quote: “If McCain can turn him into a politician, Obama has lost his advantage.”) On the other hand, while his lead over McCain is five points less than it was two months ago, a plurality actually supports his reversal on public financing and there’s a huge gap in the question of who’ll bring “real change” to Washington. For Obama the “would/would not” breakdown is 58/35; for McCain it’s … 28/65. And then there’s this:

rich-poor.jpg

The enthusiasm gap between the two also remains, although if you add “satisfied” to “enthusiastic” Obama’s lead now is only seven points, 62/55. Most of the rest of the poll is devoted to racial differences, both in the context of the election and not. For example, Obama’s favorable rating among whites is 31/37; among blacks it’s 83/2. Michelle Obama’s favorable rating among whites is 24/19; among blacks, 58/1. There are racial disparities on the patriotism and C-in-C questions too, predictably, although McCain leads comfortably in both overall, by 36 points in the category of “very patriotic” and by 20 points on whether it’s “very likely” or “somewhat likely” that he’d be an effective commander-in-chief.

As for this, you tell me:

nyt-imm.jpg

78% of Hispanics say the issue’s “serious,” but of course that doesn’t indicate what solution they prefer. For a hint at that, compare the numbers among Hispanic voters on the question of which candidate they have more confidence in to handle the issue: 72% have at least “some” in Obama versus 55% in McCain.

Exit question: How to explain this result, with so many overstating the size of the black population? Is it a function of blacks’ cultural influence leading people to think the community itself is bigger than it is?

nyt-black.jpg

Comments

Correction: he says what HE wants to hear!

singlemalt_18 on July 15, 2008 at 8:59 PM

Obama- the rubberband man.

profitsbeard on July 15, 2008 at 9:04 PM

So,its going to be a Slick Willy,part Deux,
third term administration,how Liberaly excellent!

canopfor on July 15, 2008 at 9:10 PM

Obama’s favorable rating … among blacks – 83/2.

Unbelievable! 83-2? I guess it makes sense though, Dems get 90% of the Black Vote and Obama’s ‘one of their own’. The largest voting bloc just got bigger. Plantation politics at it’s worst. Pretty sad, any Black Voter who doesn’t vote for Obama will be called a traitor, even though Dr. King said ‘judge by character, not by skin color’. I guess that lesson didn’t sink in. I’m happy to report that the beautiful Mrs.737 is in that 2% group.

Tony737 on July 15, 2008 at 9:13 PM

canopfor on July 15, 2008 at 9:10 PM

No, I think we’d be better off if it was Slick Willy. Armageddon 2008. Can’t wait.

Darth Executor on July 15, 2008 at 9:14 PM

The illegal alien question is the key one. Pols think that people have forgotten about that issue – McCain even feels confident enough to start back in on his heavy amnesty peddling – but they are in for a rude awakening.

As to the estimates of the size of the black population, that is a sad poll. Talk about ill-informed. Wow.

progressoverpeace on July 15, 2008 at 9:14 PM

Obama- the rubberband man.

I like it.

Spirit of 1776 on July 15, 2008 at 9:15 PM

I like that American Spectator has re-christened him “Barack Justantherlyingpolitician Obama”.

And that was before the poll came out.

NeighborhoodCatLady on July 15, 2008 at 9:17 PM

Hey Cat Lady, did you used to comment over at IMAO?

Bishop on July 15, 2008 at 9:19 PM

No,I think..

Darth Executer on july 15,2008 at 9:14PM.

Darth Executer:Haha,me too,Denver 08, Liberal Meltdown!
And hello to ya in Toronto,from the Sault!

canopfor on July 15, 2008 at 9:21 PM

Wait.

17% of blacks and 8% of whites thing blacks make up more than 50% of the population???

I’m not reading that right. Right? I can’t be.

Does this mean we can get rid of affirmative action now? And stop using the word “minority?”

I am very, very confused by that poll.

Professor Blather on July 15, 2008 at 9:22 PM

I believe that I think that I somewhat agree with this poll, but that belief hinges on whether the public at large believe it; then, and only then, can I say with any certainty that I believe what they believe if I believe it, then I’ll know that I believe what they, the public, know that I support their beliefs in my views of what is to be believed, unless they don’t believe it; however, my beliefs in this poll may not be politically expedient as to what the public wants me to believe, even if my beliefs don’t agree with theirs.

madmonkphotog on July 15, 2008 at 9:25 PM

NYT poll: Majority now believes Obama says what he thinks people want to hear

Damn, the NYT must come of their hopenetized trance!

byteshredder on July 15, 2008 at 9:29 PM

Gee, now if we could only believe McCain when he says he wants to secure the borders, we’d have a candidate you can trust.

Snake307 on July 15, 2008 at 9:29 PM

Obama, makes pronoucements (e.g., the surge) then says he didn’t say that. He purges his website of any evidence he said it. There is a term for someone who does that.

bnelson44 on July 15, 2008 at 9:32 PM

Gumby doll with big ears mold him into whatever shape you want him to be.

dhunter on July 15, 2008 at 9:34 PM

BO is telling PBS right now that his administration will “partner with” American auto makers.
Smells like fascism.

jgapinoy on July 15, 2008 at 9:34 PM

This poll shows the treason of black activists who support illegal immigration. With blacks making up less than 13% of the population, they are being marginalized in American society by the invasion of Hispanics. Yet Obama wants to open the border and invite all of Mexico into California. It’d be funny if it wasn’t so tragic.

fleiter on July 15, 2008 at 9:36 PM

i just got a quiver up my leg

custer on July 15, 2008 at 9:37 PM

Geez… 73% of the public thinks the black population is at least 150% of what it actually is?

DaveS on July 15, 2008 at 9:40 PM

Yah, “partner with” means cars made by the government that look and run like a Gaz.

Bishop on July 15, 2008 at 9:41 PM

Obama- the rubberband man.

profitsbeard on July 15, 2008 at 9:04 PM

Oh yes! I’m telling you, if could get the Spinners (no pun intended) to perform this at every campaign appearance he has, McCain has no chance…Wow, the irony would be so heavy you could crush charcoal into diamonds with it…if his campaign team had a brain in their head, this would landslide Barry right into the Whitehouse…fortunately, they don’t

AUINSC on July 15, 2008 at 9:46 PM

Obama spoke at the NAACP,and pretended
to be Cosby,I bet their were gasps all
over the place!

Obamas on tour,”All the World is a Stage”

Exit question,Umm,if my math is correct,
doesn’t it add up to 101% in poll no.80#?

canopfor on July 15, 2008 at 9:48 PM

Neither. My granny always said the hen that made the most noise got the most attention even if she didn’t lay the most eggs.

SouthernGent on July 15, 2008 at 9:50 PM

Mr. inevitability does not look inevitable.

Shouldn’t Obama be burying McCain in these polls you know because he transcends politics blah blah blah or something?

The burning question is what the democrats are going to do with Obama when he loses this election. The race based recriminations alone are going to be entertaining to watch.

elduende on July 15, 2008 at 9:51 PM

Jive talking only works when you first meet.

GM and Ford, Fannie Mae and Freedie Mac of autos, where everybody gets employee discounts..

tarpon on July 15, 2008 at 9:51 PM

NYT poll: Majority now believes Obama says what he thinks people want to hear

Tonight On Countdown with Keith Olbermann… The New York Times who conducted this poll and is now promoting this unflattering information about Obama !!! The WORST – PERSONS – - – IN THE WOOORRLDD!!!!! *scary Olbermann/phantom of the opera music*

wise_man on July 15, 2008 at 9:52 PM

“Remember Jerry, it’s not a lie…if you believe it.” — George Costanza

CP on July 15, 2008 at 9:55 PM

haha. World’s biggest minority.

BadgerHawk on July 15, 2008 at 10:15 PM

The bloom is off the rose.

Terrye on July 15, 2008 at 10:15 PM

You with your hesitating
And you always contemplating
What to do
When heaven has found you
Can’t you see
That it’s all wrapped up in the Messiah that’s me
So follow me

Come on, voters
I’m Obama the Piper
I’m Obama the Piper
And I’ll show you where Hope and Change is at
Come on, voters
Can’t you see
I’m Obama the Piper
Trust in me
I’m Obama the Piper
And I’ll show you where Hope and Change is at

Voters
Don’t be scared to into the White House to help me move
Hey, voters
What do you think I’m tryin’ to prove
It ain’t true
That I’m changing my positions to fool you
It’s just in your mind
And that’s all that’s trickin’ you
So step in line

No, I don’t.
/BHO

andycanuck on July 15, 2008 at 10:22 PM

I mean, yes, I do.
/BHO

andycanuck on July 15, 2008 at 10:23 PM

I must say, my wife and I are both getting real sick & tired of watching this “poor lil victim” crap, as well as the “racist” crap coming our way via black America. The “hate the whitey” being preached in black churches is a dynamic I didn’t see coming. The entitlement mentality taking place is down right sickening. The “if you don’t vote for Obama, you’re a racist” thing is sickening.

How about the fact that Obama has surrounded himself with people who have proven themselves to be angry America haters; proven by their own actions and words. How about the fact that Obama is a radical Liberal with socialist views disguised as solutions for American citizens. How about the fact that Obama is simply not ready to hold the position of potus. None of these dynamics seem to matter to 90% of black Americans; the only thing that matters is the fact that his skin is black. I must admit, this pissed me off. I honestly had no idea that so much racism (hatred) existed with blacks towards whites.

Personally, I had nothing to do with slavery. I have no doubt that times were really hard for blacks before my time; history tells the story very well. A young black man told my son “you will never understand white boy, you aren’t black”. My son told this young man “dude, this is 2008 not 1908.” I guess we are going to get all of this stuff out on the table in 2008 and see where it leads us.

Keemo on July 15, 2008 at 10:49 PM

…..but they’re still going to vote for him. UGH.

sheesh on July 15, 2008 at 11:15 PM

I’m no polling genius, but I read the whole damn thing and doesn’t it seem like this poll oversamples democrats? I mean is 26-37 Repub to Dem a reliable sample? And looking over its historical numbers, does it seem like this oversampling increases in election years? I’m just sayin…

Interesting that 80% say the national economy is fairly bad or very bad, and 67% say it’s getting worse, while 71% say the financial situation in their own household is very good or fairly good. So, they aren’t necessarily experiencing the sky falling, but they’re pretty sure it is because the MSM (and Chuckie Schumer) told them it is.

And why are they asking favorable/unfavorable questions about Bill Clinton? I mean, who cares?

And when they poll on affirmative action, which is banned by voters every time it comes up on a state ballot, why do they always have to phrase it with the caveat: In order to make up for past discrimination, do you favor or oppose programs which make special efforts to help minorities get ahead? If they don’t include that introductory clause, and simply ask the second half of the question, are they afraid of what the answer might be?

Rational Thought on July 15, 2008 at 11:24 PM

The race based recriminations alone are going to be entertaining to watch.

elduende on July 15, 2008 at 9:51 PM

You thought Bush/Gore was bad? Ha! HAHA! HAHAHAHAHAH! Believe, the lawyers will have a field day!

lsutiger on July 15, 2008 at 11:24 PM

progressoverpeace on July 15, 2008 at 9:14 PM

Notice how the MSM continues trying to sweep The Illegal Alien Crisis under the rug? ha ha ha

DfDeportation on July 15, 2008 at 11:51 PM

lsutiger on July 15, 2008 at 11:24 PM

Agreed; train wreck central.

Go Tigers!

elduende on July 15, 2008 at 11:52 PM

Professor Blather on July 15, 2008 at 9:22 PM

On the bright side, look at the even distribution of both ignorance and stupidity! Hooray for diversity!

Jaibones on July 15, 2008 at 11:55 PM

fleiter on July 15, 2008 at 9:36 PM

Not to mention the ethnic cleansing going on in this country by the Illegal Alien chuntes killing black Americans and being supported by people like L.A. Mayor Tony Villar, LAPD Bill Bratton, Jesse Jackson, Al Sharpton, etc. We see it all the time!!!

DfDeportation on July 15, 2008 at 11:55 PM

I am very, very confused by that poll.
Professor Blather on July 15, 2008 at 9:22 PM

You’re not alone there! Too many numbers, print too small and when I cntrl ++ it just gets blurry….or maybe it’s the Jameson.

Oldnuke on July 16, 2008 at 12:07 AM

17% of Blacks think that over 60% of America is black? Are they serious?

Laserjock on July 16, 2008 at 12:19 AM

Percentage of morons is higher than assumed.

Never fooled a few of us. Why this is surprising to an even remotely thinking person is the real miracle.

Entelechy on July 16, 2008 at 2:24 AM

He’s on his way to learning the hard lesson Kerry learned.

“no matter how stupid and uninformed elitist liberals think everyone who doens’t live in CA and NY are, they can spot a BS artist and a liar.”

They are spotting you now, Mr. Obama.

MannyT-vA on July 16, 2008 at 5:43 AM

They are spotting you now, Mr. Obama.

MannyT-vA on July 16, 2008 at 5:43 AM

“stupid and uninformed elitist liberals think everyone who doesn’t live in CA and NY are to dumb to spot a BS artist and a liar.”
More accurate?
BO doesn’t say what people want to hear so much as people hear what they want from his empty rhetoric.

jmarcure on July 16, 2008 at 6:32 AM

Everything in this poll is meaningless, except one thing. Illegal Immigration. People are passionate about this, and this SINGLE issue can win the election for McCain.

marklmail on July 16, 2008 at 8:43 AM

Keemo on July 15, 2008 at 10:49 PM

Great post; every word I agree with.

Your son’s retort classic. I just finished a six hour documentary on Lincoln. (American Experience from Netflix). All 3 discs were great, but the third is awesome.

Maybe the fellow who told your son he can’t understand cause “he’s not black” would be advantaged by learning more about the sacrifices of others along the inexorable road forward towards the institutional equality of today.

[17% of AA's thinking that they are not a minority anymore indicates some progress, eh... ;-]

Shivas Irons on July 16, 2008 at 8:46 AM

The worst part is that the decerebrate Democrat Obama supporters both admit it and still believe him, no matter what Obama says and how many times he waffles.

drjohn on July 16, 2008 at 8:47 AM

Keemo on July 15, 2008 at 10:49 PM

Great post; every word I agree with.

Me too.

Watching black rappers wearing a million dollars in bling, stepping out of their Bentley’s to declare that “the struggle” is still on boggles the mind.

drjohn on July 16, 2008 at 8:51 AM

They needed a 33-page poll to determine the obvious?

Sounds like a waste of money to me…

Corky on July 16, 2008 at 10:37 AM

It’s official, black people think Obama means what he says for no other reason than because he’s black (well half black.)

Lincoln on July 16, 2008 at 10:43 AM

NYT poll: Majority now believes Obama says what he thinks people want to hear

Wait a minute. NYT need a poll to tell us “Obama brings out the FlipFlopers in most of us”?

The frequency of his flipflopping REFLECTS the thinking of us majority?

/Of course, it is not his fault that he changes his positions so often. It is OUR own indecision.

Sir Napsalot on July 16, 2008 at 11:08 AM

Over 2/3s of blacks and over 3/4 of whites in this poll vastly overestimate the percentage of the black population – that is incredible.

Think_b4_speaking on July 16, 2008 at 11:15 AM

He will continue to tell us anything just to get into the White House. He can’t tell us his real plans fo us because they are so left-wing and would be so unacceptable to us we cannot know until he is firmly ensconced in the White House. Then all bets are off. He will put into place a left-wing, liberal agenda that will destroy our country and our lives.

UnEasyRider on July 16, 2008 at 2:14 PM

If you live in the Chicago metropolitan area you might believe that 60% of the population is black. Sure feels like it to me.

In 1964 they were 12% of the population. They are now supposed to be 13%. That’s 1% growth in 44 years? Not likely. If the true population was out they would lose their “minority” status and all the goodies.

UnEasyRider on July 16, 2008 at 2:24 PM