McCain: Borders will be secure “in a very short period of time”

posted at 12:35 pm on July 15, 2008 by Allahpundit

Really? A problem we haven’t had the political will to solve is suddenly going to be wrapped up lickety split in time for a McCain administration? Even though the very first phase of the “virtual fence” that may or may not work has already been delayed by three years? Consider this the missing link in his chain of logic from securing the borders to attending to the more important business of amnestizing illegals and passing the DREAM Act: At some point during his presidency (possibly on Inauguration Day itself, if prior statements are any guide) he’ll point to some benchmark on DHS’s to-do list — X miles of fence constructed, say — and summarily declare the border “secure” or “substantially secure.” No waiting for results to see whether illegal immigration has actually declined; that’d take too long and keep us from that more important business.

Two other things to watch for. First, the data at the end on how Hispanic voters are prioritizing issues, which came as a surprise to me but not as much, I suspect, as it will to Geraldo Rivera. And second, pay attention to what McCain says at around 2:45 about agreeing with American workers that illegal immigrants are taking their jobs. If he agrees, then what was he doing last year pushing amnesty? Presumably the idea is that by amnestizing illegals you bring them under the protection of minimum wage laws and thereby take away their competitive advantage over citizens, but a reporter looking to make him squirm on this issue — particularly as regards the unemployment effect of a sudden amnesty-induced labor glut during an economic downturn — would do well to follow up on it.

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2

why does McCain think that tens of millions of illegal immigrants, many of whom engage in some form of document fraud (credit card theft, Social Security number fraud, Identity theft, etc), and who come from left-wing countries immersed in a cultural background of big government socialism, will… all of a sudden, with the stroke of a presidential signing pen, …convert into card-carrying Republicans who want the government off their backs and taxes lowered?

ColtsFan on July 15, 2008 at 5:57 PM

It has baffled me. Sometimes it’s tough to get where McCain is coming from. I think that he wants to be seen as the “Great Liberator” and the illegals are the easiest to use. That’s all I can figure, since I don’t think that he is really a globalist (though he has some quirky, globalist positions, too). Bush is clearly a globalist (it seems to be a big family thing) so I understand his reasoning, but McCain only makes sense to me as above. I don’t think McCain thinks, or cares really, about the actual costs to the US for his glory. That’s how I figure it.

Your points about the governmental structures/educations these illegals are coming from (and that they still, generally, support) can’t be emphasized enough.

progressoverpeace on July 15, 2008 at 6:08 PM

where were all these outraged hardliners a decade ago?
Terrye on July 15, 2008 at 5:03 PM

Terrye, we were here in the border states but no one gave us a platform. Without the internet we probably still wouldn’t have one since the media controls everything. That being said, let me explain something to you.

After the 1986 Amnesty, things progressively got worse as millions of new illegals flooded into the country. Now those of us who were on the frontlines were very disturbed by it. Forward about a decade or so and the problem started slowly reaching other areas. For the most part, the illegals stayed in the shadows and therefore most of America was blissfully unaware of the problems. For about the last 5-7 years or so the illegals have become brazen, in-your-face radicals demanding their “rights” while waving Mexican flags on TV during marches. Couple that with the Mexican government advocating to them how to break our laws and all of a sudden it becomes a major issue to a lot of people that previously weren’t aware of it. This is why there are a lot of “hardliners” being outraged over this situation.

Do you understand now?

Also, Terrye, you should be kissing our butts for trying to stop this invasion before it reaches your little area in rural Indiana. I checked your demographics and you live in a pretty homogenous (95% white, non-hispanic, English speaking) area, so you are no expert on what illegal immigration can do to a community.

mrsmwp on July 15, 2008 at 6:54 PM

mrsmwp:

I don’t kiss butts.

My point is that McCain won the nomination because the Republican voters voted for him. They put him in there. If they wanted someone like Tancredo they would have voted for him instead.

And why do you need the internet? That border was open forever. It was open before there was even a Las Vegas. It was open before there was subsidized water. If the people of the region wanted to make it an issue, they could have, long ago. And I am not saying it is not an important issue either. But for heavens sake when California and New Mexico support Democrats year after year inspite of the fact that they are border states it is obvious this is not an issue that everyone agrees on. One thing is for sure: Obama will not be a strong advocate for border security. He has made that plain. McCain may not be everything you want, but he won the nomination fair and square.

Terrye on July 15, 2008 at 7:47 PM

And btw, I was born and raised in Oklahoma. I am part Indian, Cherokee. Did my demographics tell you that? I also remember when I was a kid you could go to Texas and find plenty of towns on the border where English was a second language. When I moved to southern Indiana, the first thing that struck me was how many white faces I saw here.

But then we have big cities like Gary and Indpls. So that kind of makes up for it.

Terrye on July 15, 2008 at 7:50 PM

misterpeasea:

I am disappointed in you too. I actually thought all that stuff about securing the borders might be for real. But I guess not.

Terrye on July 15, 2008 at 7:54 PM

It’s important to realize that uninformed Republicans lead by the media gave him the nomination. One poll question I saw after a primary had a majority of republicans saying they favored McCain to handle the illegal alien issue, but another question on the same poll showed that a majority wanted illegal immigration stopped. How do you resolve those two results? There is only one answer, the majority of republicans got their information from the MSM. I remember one debate immigration was banned as an issue, so how could Tanc, or Duncan Hunter address their largest issue under those circumstances.

Terrye on July 15, 2008 at 7:47 PM

The border may very well have been open forever, but we didn’t have a welfare state forever. I read recently that half of the European immigrants who came in the great wave went home for various reasons. They went home because we weren’t a welfare state. There is also a quote from a relatively famous economist that states You cannot have open borders and a welfare state. I am not completely against a migrant worker program, but not while the 14th amendment is being interpreted as it currently is, and while we have massive entitlement programs.

DFCtomm on July 15, 2008 at 8:15 PM

Terrye on July 15, 2008 at 7:47 PM

Are you joking? Why do we need the internet? You can’t be that dense. Considering that almost every line of mass communication is controlled by left-wing commies, we need the internet because it is a way for us to communicate and get information to each other.

Unless you are 21 it’s been a while since you’ve lived in OK or visited the Texas bordertowns. Where English used to be a “second language” it is now a non existent language. Also, the demographics I sited were in reference to Bloomington and Indiana in general. Nothing to do with your personal Native-American heritage.

I used to think you were just a decent person who just didn’t get it but now I think you’re motives may be more sinister.

By the way: I AM VOTING FOR MCCAIN. I WILL HATE MYSELF IN THE MORNING BUT I DON’T WANT TO HELP OBAMA WIN.

Every person that is against illegal immigration is not sitting out the election. Although, I think people that are have every right to do so. I cannot in good conscience do it myself.

mrsmwp on July 15, 2008 at 8:30 PM

mrsmwp:

I am saying you do not need the internet to make your feelings about issues like border security known to your representatives. For years, people just kind of blew it off, and then it became a huge issue overnight and a lot of these same people blamed everyone else for ignoring it. Almost half the illegals in this country live in California. And they did not all get there overnight either. But that state is not exactly famous for its draconian and hardline policy. It is not just the interior states that have failed to take this issue as seriously as they should have.

I am not dissing people who think this is a problem, my complaint is with the people who ignored the problem until they saw a political advantage in pursuing it. My problem is with the people who say they want to deal with the problem, but who would rather sit out the election and let someone like Obama win than go with the impure McCain.

Terrye on July 15, 2008 at 8:40 PM

DFCtomm on July 15, 2008 at 8:15 PM

Exactly.

mrsmwp on July 15, 2008 at 8:40 PM

DF:

And Obama wants to nationalize health care and make that available to illegals.

Terrye on July 15, 2008 at 8:42 PM

Terrye on July 15, 2008 at 8:40 PM

Fair enough Terrye. But just because you haven’t heard about it doesn’t mean that those who live in these states haven’t been complaining about it to our reps. It’s just that until a large portion of a constituency complains then it just usually falls on deaf ears. Many people haven’t thought about the impact of illegal immigration until recently because it is human nature to go along the business of life and not notice problems until they are too big to do anything about.

Now the deal with California? People haven’t been calling it “The Land of Fruits and Nuts” for the last 30 years or so because of the avocadoes and the almonds.

mrsmwp on July 15, 2008 at 8:47 PM

Terrye on July 15, 2008 at 8:40 PM

Terrye,

You live in Indiana, and I live in Kentucky, similar states demographically, so I agree this became an issue “over night” to us, but there are many groups in the border states that have been fighting this battle for years, even before the 86 amnesty. It became an “over night” issue when people in our states woke up to sounds of Spanish coming from their rooftop, since the roofing crew showed up early that morning.

Before that, it was always a joke to us. We vaguely knew what was happening in Texas, California, and Florida, but on that particular morning it quit being a joke, and, of course, all politics are local.

DFCtomm on July 15, 2008 at 8:50 PM

DF:

And Obama wants to nationalize health care and make that available to illegals.

Terrye on July 15, 2008 at 8:42 PM

I’m betting we can stop Obama’s health care plan like we stopped Clinton’s, but I don’t know if we can stop a radical Republican president, since electing McCain will send a clear message that it’s open season on immigration, while electing Obama simply means it’s open season on Republicans.

DFCtomm on July 15, 2008 at 8:56 PM

Welcome to HotAir, glad to have you, based on what I’ve seen so far.

Has there been an open registration period recently? There are a few new posters. Or maybe they’re old posters who just recently caught the HotAir fee-vah!

Probably oughtta use the \sarc tag for a while.

misterpeasea on July 15, 2008 at 3:38 PM

Yeah. I’ve been here for a couple of years, but haven’t been able to visit HA much for a couple of months due to work and other responsibilities. I didn’t recognize your name, or your style. Suffice it to say, “sorry” for the misunderstanding. And, pleased to make your aquaintance!

I think the /sarc tag should be applied liberally these days. The loony lefties and the pro-illegal immigration hacks are so prevalent these days, I don’t know who’s serious or just yanking chains anymore :/

SilverStar830 on July 16, 2008 at 1:55 PM

Yep, on Jan. 21 McCain will declare the border secure, and on Jan. 22 send his amnesty bill to Congress.

Spitfire9 on July 16, 2008 at 3:34 PM