Audio: McCain rips La Raza activist that Obama praised

posted at 7:28 am on July 15, 2008 by Ed Morrissey

At the risk of redundancy, the write-up of John McCain’s response yesterday to the La Raza activist didn’t quite capture the sharp nature of the exchange between himself and Enrique Morones.  Morones, a member of Borders Angels, accused the US of killing ten thousand people on the border with our “militarization” and demanded that McCain disavow border security.  McCain gave him a very testy reply, captured here on audio bu HA reader Edgar M:

McCain: Let me just tell you sir, I talked about the people who have come across here illegally and those who have died in the desert. I know that — I come from a border state. I’ve been in Mexico many times. But there’s also drugs coming across our border, sir, that are killing Americans too. And they’re working right there [applause] — yes, sir, and they’re working right there and sending people who just want to come across the border illegally to cover their own activities. [voice rising] The United States of America has to have secure borders, sir, and I will do that. And that’s necessary even if you may disagree. Our nation’s national-security requirements are — that we have secure borders. But we can address this issue in a humane and compassionate fashion, I am committed to that and you have my commitment to it, and we will make it the highest priority, and if you don’t think that we have to secure our borders, then I respect your view but we just disagree.

Interestingly, Enrique Morones got the attention the other presidential candidate the day before. When Barack Obama spoke to La Raza, he didn’t call out Morones for his views on border security, but instead praised him for his open-borders activism (via Immigration Watchdog):

Local immigrant-rights activist Enrique Morones said he was thrilled but shocked to receive a public thank-you from Sen. Barack Obama as the Democratic presidential candidate was launching into his speech Sunday at the National Council of La Raza convention.

Obama, at the podium, had just thanked two top NCLR officials before his speech when he thanked Morones of Border Angels, a group that stocks desert water stations and lobbies intensely for immigrant rights, often with a theatrical flair and a blunt style that has drawn the ire of anti-illegal immigration activists.

Morones said that prior to the speech he, several elected officials and others had attended a meeting with Obama and his campaign staff, and that he’d handed the candidate a t-shirt from his “Marcha Migrante III,” the third in a series of cross-country trips he and other activists have made to lobby elected officials for immigrant-friendly law changes.

I know most Hot Air commenters hotly oppose McCain on immigration, and have demanded that he commit to border security. He did so in perhaps the most unfriendly confines for such an announcement, and even fired back at an activist who demanded open borders in a forceful and direct manner. Opposite McCain, we have a candidate who cheers the same activist for his work in promoting open borders. That seems like a rather significant difference to me.

Comments

I know you guys give him trouble for it, but he does have a knack for some pretty straight talk, in a clearer style than Bush for what thats worth.

Dr. Manhattan on July 15, 2008 at 7:31 AM

Enrique Morones is the Jessie Jackson of the latino world. He’s just another two-bit race hustler making a living off of rhetoric. Is this guy an American? I realize that we’re the greatest nation, and that free speech is the cornerstone of our free society, but do we have to let foreigners undermine our security from within our borders? I would pay to see the likes of that idiot escorted to the border and shoved over to the other side.

orlandocajun on July 15, 2008 at 7:35 AM

And yet, in Congress he *hasn’t* done that. I want to believe, I really do. But I need him to give me some concrete reason to do so. Instead of a promise to close the border his first week in office, we have a promise to pursue “comprehensive” immigration “reform.”

Laura on July 15, 2008 at 7:37 AM

Does to me too. Obviously.

Won’t deter the usual Ron Paul suspects and Obama Mobys here though. They’ve got their own agenda – them.

Gilda on July 15, 2008 at 7:38 AM

Sr. Morones – Read up on how immigrants came through Ellis Island….

No, not everyone was welcome. Many were sent back to their country of origin. Some didn’t live long enough to leave the island, but died in quarantine.

darkpixel on July 15, 2008 at 7:41 AM

It is quite different than Obama. I agree.

I will give McCain the benefit of the doubt on this…perhaps, he has finally heard the American people and has decided to listen to them. Most Americans want border security, they want the immigration laws enforced and they want illegals to stop receiving benefits entitled for American citizens. It is an issue of national security. He has changed his mind on off-shore drilling..maybe he has changed his mind on this. If that’s flip flopping, too bad. At least he hasnt flipped on 9 items in 2 weeks time.

As for people dying in the desert or while trying to cross the Rio Grande, I have to say they have placed themselves in that position by even attempting to do that. How is that our fault? They need to be more responsible for their actions,as Obama has suggested.

becki51758 on July 15, 2008 at 7:42 AM

I don’t know how much more straight talk you can have…I suppose the Paulnuts would have wanted a knife fight.
McCain took on a “respected” leader, and didn’t give an inch, as opposed to the boot licking Obama.

That seems like a rather significant difference to me.

Difference indeed.

right2bright on July 15, 2008 at 7:46 AM

Gilda on July 15, 2008 at 7:38 AM

It is too early in the morning for the Paulnuts, we have to work, they can sleep in…

right2bright on July 15, 2008 at 7:47 AM

Here’s the thing…

He can talk a good game on border security (despite the fact we have NO reason to trust him to keep his word…do we?), but he still fully intends to enact full blown amnesty once that’s done. Border security is rather a red herring. It’s what he uses to suggest he’s tough on illegal immigration, only a PARTIAL demand those who value the rule of law screamed for. He thinks that’s all he needs to do (or rather say he’ll do) to placate anti-illegal immigration types.

I agree we need border security. Build the damn wall. But that doesn’t mean I want amnesty after that. I want to fix, end illegal immigration. Not support and expand it.

Darksean on July 15, 2008 at 7:48 AM

Dr. Manhattan on July 15, 2008 at 7:31 AM

I agree. I am more with McCain on this issue than 95% of the people here, even if that is a stupid stance. I was happy to listen to this clip and here him give a great answer to a tough, oppositional question off his toes in a hostile (somewhat) environment like that. He even got a few applause from the people. If people would listen to him talk instead of looking at his white hair and how old he appears…I mean, just compare his straight talk to Obama’s series of “umm’s” uhh’s,” and you’ll be able to tell right away who has the sharper mind for this job.

jimmy the notable on July 15, 2008 at 7:49 AM

Dr. Manhattan on July 15, 2008 at 7:31 AM

I agree. I like his style of plowing right through the points he’s making too. I don’t care for the usual politician speaking style of pausing every 15 seconds to bask in applause and try to sort out the next statement.

When Obama speaks off script, I always get the impression he’s struggling to “keep his story straight”, like a guilty person under police questioning.

forest on July 15, 2008 at 7:50 AM

There’s a very simple solution to prevent people from dying while crossing illegally.

Stop crossing illegally.

MarkTheGreat on July 15, 2008 at 7:50 AM

If Enrique Morones is so concerned about the safety of the people crossing the desert, why doesn’t he go to Mexico and discourage people attemptimg to cross? Tell them the story of the mother who died in her son’s arms, tell them about the ten thousand people who didn’t make it. If he really cared about saving their lives, he’d save more that way.

trubble on July 15, 2008 at 7:51 AM

Works for me. I admire him for sticking to his guns in the long view but acknowledges that the people demand that the border be controlled. The McNos won’t care. We’ll hear all the usual ‘principle over pragmatism’ clap trap yet they’ll bag McCain for sticking to his principles over their own pragmatism.

Nice try, Ed, but this immigration thread will end up looking just like every other immigration thread……dead air.

Limerick on July 15, 2008 at 7:55 AM

Normally I don’t trust what McCain says on the issue. However, that little speech of his didn’t do him any favors in the open-border community — it most likely hurt him.

He pointed out that it’s an issue of national security, addressed the drugs coming across and Americans getting killed, and all-in-all jumped down the man’s throat.

It’s more convincing than usual, and you realize there’s a bit of a difference between McCain and his opponent.

amerpundit on July 15, 2008 at 7:56 AM

Actually, it’s becoming apparent that McCain will govern to the right of George W.

Maybe he’s squishy on illegals and ANWR but so is W and, unlike W, McCain won’t turn the other cheek when pushed.

there it is on July 15, 2008 at 7:57 AM

Not withstanding Ed’s point that McCain differs from Obama is his interaction with this person, let’s not confuse the issues. McCain couched his remarks behind the issue of drug runners and, pardon me, kind of lost me with his comments about “sending people who just want to come across the border illegally to cover their own activities.”

See, those people who just want to come across the border illegally don’t really bother him.

After 26 years in congress, his record on border security is poor, and his advocacy for amnesty is strong. That is fact.

BigD on July 15, 2008 at 7:57 AM

Do you see?

This is the kind of bulls^^t that I have to listen from mythe Latino community.

Quite frankly, people like moron there address McVain are no better then those blacks who accuse the U.S. Government of poisoning their community or still whine about slavery.

Latinos in America, the stoopid ones at least, listen to, embrace, and spread this hatered for America while at the same time b^^^ching about wanting to come here at will, with no checks or balances.

What a world we live in!

madmonkphotog on July 15, 2008 at 8:00 AM

First he panders to La Raza and then while there he panders to me! Wow!

sabbott on July 15, 2008 at 8:01 AM

You are right Ed. McCain didn’t tell that “Border Angel” activist what he wanted to hear. I’m glad McCain stood his ground. Obama in contrast told them just what they wanted to hear, and if he is addressing a group that is pro border security, he will flip and tell them what he thinks they want to hear.

2theright on July 15, 2008 at 8:01 AM

OOPS! Sorry for the misspellings. I’m flipping thru the channels at the same time. But “stupid” is intentionally misspelled. It’s my hook.

madmonkphotog on July 15, 2008 at 8:02 AM

Limerick on July 15, 2008 at 7:55 AM

Well, if it does, Ed can credit you with throwing the first punch to lead it that way.

BigD on July 15, 2008 at 8:02 AM

BigD on July 15, 2008 at 8:02 AM

Just calling them like I see em, BigD. These threads get ugly pretty quick and end up with 500 comments from four or five commenters.

Limerick on July 15, 2008 at 8:06 AM

And yet, in Congress he *hasn’t* done that.

McCain hasn’t done anything in Congress because at the time, he like most, did not understand the necessity of a secure border first. How, without it, nothing works as the past 40 years have shown. And before anyone huffs and puffs about how obvious border security-a fence is- I suggest perusing Captain’s Quarters archives or whatever is possible here and you will find that most posters don’t even agree on a secure border first, if at all. In fact read all the comments coming, it will be all some Stalinist milieu posing as doable solutions most of which have no chance of enactment but they feel good typing about it.

Most posters yap all day long about deportations, enforcing current laws, ID cards the list is endless. The fact is that border security, first before anything else, was/is still an extreme position in Congress and less so now with the American public. It has gained support as a default mechanism when folks actually started to read the last immigration bill. A fence stops the leak.

McCain to his credit understood the backlash–much more so than Bush. What we need to do is support McCain on border security–a real live fence–and then work on a bill that deals with the illegals here. Cut his “nuts off” for that, if you will, but press and support him on a fence. Continually pin him down on it in press conferences etc.

Without a barrier this country will be over run by hordes, not the normal 500,000 a year, when Pemex stops exporting oil and loses the revenues that support 40% of the Mexican government. This is all projected to happen within ten years. It is currently a raging debate inside Mexico. You have seen nothing compared to what is coming when Mexico implodes.

patrick neid on July 15, 2008 at 8:06 AM

Enrique MORONes is one of these Aztlan loons who seems to believe the entire United States belongs to Mexico and that we should just shrug our shoulders and hand the whole country over to them. I am sure that the representatives of the 500 Nations of Native Americans heritage have a rather dim view of Mr MORONes’ comments, and would most definetly differ with his Aztlan viewpoints.

pilamaye on July 15, 2008 at 8:07 AM

Limerick on July 15, 2008 at 8:06 AM

Yes, I know. I never stay beyond page 2.

BigD on July 15, 2008 at 8:12 AM

I’ve gotta give McCain credit for this. Given the audience, it would have been much easier for him to use weasel words, pander his ass off, and get out of there with a big round of applause. Instead, he lit the guy up.

Well done.

flipflop on July 15, 2008 at 8:13 AM

Bravo Sen McCain. As one of your most vociferous critics on this issue, I salute you for having the stones to go to La Raza and stick it to them. Keep this up and I might actually look forward to voting for you. Now, about the ANWR and Global Warming BS….

Dingbat63 on July 15, 2008 at 8:15 AM

Oh, and Morones made a big mistake in holding up Ellis Island as an example of an open border. Immigrants were processed through there in a legal fashion, making every single one of them legal immigrants. It’s not like they hopped off a boat there and hailed the first taxi to Brooklyn.

What an idiot.

flipflop on July 15, 2008 at 8:16 AM

Love him or hate him the guy has integrity.

TheBigOldDog on July 15, 2008 at 8:18 AM

I know for a fact that McCain doesn’t respect my views. He’s made that abundantly clear.

Why would McCain pretend like he cares about secure borders now? Oh yeah, I forgot.

Buddahpundit on July 15, 2008 at 8:21 AM

This is not the La Raza John McCain thought he knew.

Vatican Watcher on July 15, 2008 at 8:25 AM

trubble on July 15, 2008 at 7:51 AM

Well said! These left-wing ‘activists’ can’t be bothered to actually go and help people, or solve a problem. Their aim is self-gratification, which they achieve by stirring up trouble in the name of some ’cause’.

Dingbat63 on July 15, 2008 at 8:15 AM

Yep. See my post here.

MrLynn on July 15, 2008 at 8:36 AM

Enrique Moronic is an open borders extremist. McCain could have done a better job of shoving something sharp up his ass, but he did ok, and he did infinitely better than the Manchurian.

The question is – why is McCain talking to this racist organization?

Jaibones on July 15, 2008 at 8:37 AM

wait til Jetboy wakes up, this will be a record setting post.

redrock on July 15, 2008 at 8:37 AM

If Maverick will secure the border and drill for oil, I may just vote for him sober!

Mr. Wednesday Night on July 15, 2008 at 8:43 AM

wait til Jetboy wakes up, this will be a record setting post.

redrock on July 15, 2008 at 8:37 AM

LOL!

Someone knock on the basement door, will ya?

Darksean on July 15, 2008 at 8:43 AM

McCain to his credit understood the backlash–much more so than Bush. What we need to do is support McCain on border security … Without a barrier this country will be over run by hordes, not the normal 500,000 a year, when Pemex stops exporting oil …

patrick neid on July 15, 2008 at 8:06 AM

I agree with you, and excellent point about Pemex. But I don’t think McCain really “gets” it about what he has described as “the damn fence.” The fence is a barrier he has to overcome to get what he really wants; amnesty. (Or if you object to the “A” word, “a legal way for all those lawbreakers to line jump the tens of thousands of legal applicants who are still waiting outside the US.”) McCain still doesn’t understand – along with pretty much all of Congress – how infuriating that sort of thing, along with the lack of assimilation, most people find this issue.

Jay Tea at Wizbang had a post in 2006 comparing immigration to colonization. What’s happening now is colonization; fully 10% of Mexico’s population already lives here and more are coming all the time. McCain refuses to see it.

Laura on July 15, 2008 at 8:44 AM

McCain’s family never landed on Ellis Island. They go back to the 1700′s at least and not everyone was welcomed on Ellis Island either. This “activists” is just another ignorant and hysterical fringy.

RobCon on July 15, 2008 at 8:45 AM

I’m voting for McCain, no matter what. The alternative is a danger to the USA. However, McCain has not demonstrated that he listens to people. He heard and saw how there were phone lines and e-mails flooding the lines in the Senate. Yet he still voted for the bill. When will he learn that we want border enforcement and deportation of illegals especially the criminals that bring death and destruction.
I am an American of Cuban descent. I walk around my town with many of these illegals on street corners looking for jobs, however, many are either drinking too much or harassing women. It is becoming so uncomfortable. They are obviously illegal, yet the police can’t do anything. What will it take for McCain to learn?
He should watch O’Reilly who had that mother who was serving in Iraq and her 17yr. old son was shot and killed by an illegal in Los Angeles. She being an American and one of our finest, had no protection for her son in her own country. Is that one of God’s children to McCain?

jencab on July 15, 2008 at 8:51 AM

McCain is clearly saying what the democratsd refuse to say. Immigration, the Iraq war, spiraling gas prices and a 5-4 vote on the right to bear arms has exposed the anti-American tripe of the left for the mindless banter that it is.

McCain may not be the first choice, but he is the ONLY choice.

volsense on July 15, 2008 at 8:54 AM

McCain may not be the first choice, but he is the ONLY choice.

volsense on July 15, 2008 at 8:54 AM

Vote McCain! He sucks less! ;-)

flipflop on July 15, 2008 at 9:00 AM

“That seems like a rather significant difference to me.”
The Captain

But nevertheless, be prepared for 500 comments: “McCain is a poopy-head!” in 4…3…2…

franksalterego on July 15, 2008 at 9:01 AM

This bozo activist unwittingly makes our point for us about closing the border. And why its completely necessary to prevent these sorts of incidents. And what kind of mother would drag her 2 children across a desert??? I have to question her judgement.
McCain is slowly doing what he needs to do. I supported Duncan Hunter in the primary and I’ve been extremely critical of Sen. McCain. But its time for “me” and others to begin to throw our enthusiastic support behind McCain, now. I’ll wager Duncan Hunter is doing so.
What do we think border security will be like in an Obama regime? Its chilling to even think about it. DD

Darvin Dowdy on July 15, 2008 at 9:01 AM

Deeds, not words, McHamsterface.

Spanglemaker on July 15, 2008 at 9:02 AM

What a bozo! If he wasn’t a race hustler, Morones would be concerned about the blood bath on the Mexican side of the border where drug lords are attacking police stations and assassinating chiefs of police and citizens. But, of course, they would kill him instead of giving him the national spotlight. lol

Blake on July 15, 2008 at 9:09 AM

Laura on July 15, 2008 at 8:44 AM

With Mexico’s population at 108 million the percent here is much higher than 10%. Worse still we have their best and fittest, with the average illegal being aged between 18-40. That said, we are basically hollowing out Mexico dooming it to permanent second world status with no chance of reform. If we were truly compassionate we would sealed the border decades ago and forced Mexico’s ruling elite, vestiges of colonial Spain, to undergo a painful economic realignment. Having failed to do that we provided a Faustian bargain where we gave them a outlet while exploiting a new underclass.

patrick neid on July 15, 2008 at 9:10 AM

Let’s show our humanity by putting up a wall that will dramatically reduce the temptation to cross in the first place.

Golden Boy on July 15, 2008 at 9:10 AM

franksalterego on July 15, 2008 at 9:01 AM

Deeds, not words, McHamsterface.

Spanglemaker on July 15, 2008 at 9:02 AM

There ya go.

Typhoon on July 15, 2008 at 9:15 AM

McCain better hammer this. Nothing resonates with Americans more than stemming illegal Immigration. This alone, can win him the election, regardless of his perceived flip-flop on the issue.

marklmail on July 15, 2008 at 9:20 AM

He hasn’t really flip-flopped on this issue, but Obama certainly has, and is demagoguing the hell out of it now to try to win over the Hispanics who turned their noses up at him in the Democratic pis hrimaries. We need to realize that this group of voters is (a) not monolithic in its views about immigration reform, and (b) still largely up for grabs.

I am repeating this every time I can: if Republicans give up on Hispanics the way we have given up on African-Americans, we will never win another presidential election. Period. It’s way too late to think the GOP can just become the White People’s Party and actually win anything. Karl Rove understood this and got vilified for it by conservatives.

rockmom on July 15, 2008 at 9:35 AM

trubble on July 15, 2008 at 7:51 AM

Better yet, why doesn’t he get his “activist” butt down to Mexico City, where “activism” is really needed. He can protest the Mexican government’s abdication of its responsibilities to its own people, and demand that the filthy rich Mexican elites like Carlos Slim start sharing some of the wealth with Mexico’s impoverished underclass — instead of having secret conferences in which they try to devise new and improved ways of dumping even more of their underclass onto the backs of American taxpayers.

AZCoyote on July 15, 2008 at 9:48 AM

+1 McCain

hillbillyjim on July 15, 2008 at 10:01 AM

I’m stunned. Senator John McCain:
1) goes to La Raza,
2) points the index finger, as it were, into the activist’s face,
3) tersely says to these activists that border security will be his “highest priority”,
& we still have MDSers who not only doubt his commitment, but insist that they know he’s lying!

jgapinoy on July 15, 2008 at 10:04 AM

the AAs left the republican party in the 1930s…they were bought off…and at the same time the democrats were supporting segregation, Jim Crow laws, etc. and no amount of pandering will ever get them back. unless the republicans become bigger socialists than the dems.

its the same story with the hispanics, whoever panders, buys, pays off, them more wins.

but then what have we *won*?

right4life on July 15, 2008 at 10:08 AM

Not everyone who disagrees with McCain on immigration is a Paulnut.

I disagree with McCain on immigration and I am the LAST person the Paulnuts themselves would call a friend.

I heard this audio this morning. That McCain did this is indeed good. He stood his ground and confronted the guy. He didn’t back down and I applaud him for what he did and what he said.

I think there are still enough problems with McCains stance on this issue, but he deserves props on this.

Am I voting for McCain? Still hashing it over. But this type of behavior, in confronting an activist, is a step in the right direction.

catmman on July 15, 2008 at 10:16 AM

check out MM’s page for more about this…

For a stark illustration of McCain’s double talk at La Raza/The Race yesterday, here he is telling an audience member that he’ll support the DREAM Act–after telling conservative bloggers that he would have voted no on cloture for the bill “because he ‘got the message’ this summer that Americans want the border secured before we ‘go on to the rest.’” Uh-huh. McCain was AWOL for that cloture vote last October. He was a co-sponsor of the DREAM Act.

same old same old from captain queeg.

right4life on July 15, 2008 at 10:29 AM

So why, Ed, if McCain is speaking at least a little sense on immigration, and Osama Obama is promising the La Razaoids he will kiss their hindquarters on an hourly basis, is Boss Malkin still devoting so much effort to slamming McCain?

She is helping Michelle O’s children, and their daddy. To the detriment of the nation, too.

One of these two will be elected in November. Does she want The Messiah to lead us to destruction?

There comes a time when being a doctrinal purist is suicidal, not productive.

MrScribbler on July 15, 2008 at 10:30 AM

There comes a time when being a doctrinal purist is suicidal, not productive.

MrScribbler on July 15, 2008 at 10:30 AM

actually its smart. if mccain wins, the conservative movement is discredited and destroyed for a generation. he will govern almost exactly like obama, and ‘conservativsm’ will get the blame.

right4life on July 15, 2008 at 10:35 AM

You call that a rip?

That’s not what I call a rip. Better luck next time.

pabarge on July 15, 2008 at 10:37 AM

right4life “mccain…almost exactly like Obama”

Are you really deranged (as in MDS), or just a bad liar?

jgapinoy on July 15, 2008 at 10:51 AM

Are you really deranged (as in MDS), or just a bad liar?

jgapinoy on July 15, 2008 at 10:51 AM

go ahead and call me names, yeah that really makes me want to vote for cap’n queeg….

lets see they both want open borders, both want to close club gitmo, neither want drilling in ANWR, and mccain is even worse on free speech…mccain-feingold…both buy into global warming….cap and trade craziness. mccain voted against tax cuts…

why don’t you tell me these great differences between McObama??

right4life on July 15, 2008 at 10:54 AM

right4life

I’m sorry for my harsh reaction, but people who ignore mountains of facts & dump preposterous ramblings on us really get to me. There are plenty of hard leftists who make a lot more sense than “McCain will govern almost exactly like Obama.”

jgapinoy on July 15, 2008 at 10:55 AM

right4life

What about the other 95%–the issues that Obama & McCain stridently disagree on? (far too many to list)

jgapinoy on July 15, 2008 at 10:56 AM

mccain has a career of stickin it to conservatives…and teaming up with democrats to ‘get things done’…and with a certain democratic congress, he will tack left, as he has always done.

at least with obama as a president, maybe the republicans will get some guts and oppose him. with mccain going along with the dems they would go along too.

right4life on July 15, 2008 at 10:59 AM

Yeah, Enrique is thrilled. He’s made quite a name and power base for himself thanks to people like O’Reilly, who puts him on regularly, and these politicians.

I wonder what he did before he became the border darling?

PattyJ on July 15, 2008 at 11:00 AM

right4life

Even the few issues you listed are off–
–McCain does not want open borders–never did–& you obviously missed the article & video above this thread.
–McCain wants to drill everywhere except ANWR. BO doesn’t.
–McCain voted against one tax cut bill in a long career of voting for tax cuts. And no one is better at voting to reduce gov’t spending. Just like BO?

jgapinoy on July 15, 2008 at 11:01 AM

and then there is the McCain-Lieberman Gun Show bill..

why would a conservative back him?

right4life on July 15, 2008 at 11:01 AM

mccain Kennedy amnesty bill. open borders in all but name.

–McCain wants to drill everywhere except ANWR. BO doesn’t.

a very recent conversion…obama will probably have his conversion too.

that carbon cap and trade was the biggest big gov bill ever. it would have been a disaster and he sponsored it.

right4life on July 15, 2008 at 11:03 AM

What a name.
Morones = Morons
I mean really. How lucky can you get to have a name like that.

maynila on July 15, 2008 at 11:07 AM

McCain Campaign

Me: Can anyone there explain why McCain spoke to a racist organization?

Press Flack: Well I wouldn’t characterize it that way, so I reject the premise of the question.

Me: You…wouldn’t characterize “The National Council of The Race” as a racist organization?!”

Press Flack: Sir, are you a member of the press?

Me: No.

Flack: I have other calls to take.

Jaibones on July 15, 2008 at 11:45 AM

Yeah, Enrique is thrilled. He’s made quite a name and power base for himself …

PattyJ on July 15, 2008 at 11:00 AM

He is self-refuting. Were any of his charges true about the conduct of the administration, the enforcement of the border, or the Minuteman organization, then he would be dead.

He’s alive, well, and well-fed, and obviously a racist liar.

Jaibones on July 15, 2008 at 11:48 AM

This is why i don’t get all the whining about McCain here. i think all these so-called conservatives are really Obama supporters who are hiding their true allegiances. Nothing else makes sense to me…

Chudi on July 15, 2008 at 12:08 PM

This is why i don’t get all the whining about McCain here.

you mean exposing him for the liberal that he is?

yeah its all a conspiracy…sure.

right4life on July 15, 2008 at 12:18 PM

right4life on July 15, 2008 at 10:54 AM

Right, you have already made clear you willingness to flush American down the toilet because McCain refuses to suck your toes.

We arent trying to get you on our side anymore.

Squid Shark on July 15, 2008 at 12:23 PM

yeah its all a conspiracy…sure.

right4life on July 15, 2008 at 12:18 PM

This coming from the “evil conspiracy” king

Squid Shark on July 15, 2008 at 12:24 PM

“right4life” sure has that kneejerkin’ down pat, eh?

franksalterego on July 15, 2008 at 12:56 PM

Still waiting:

Why does America owe current illegal aliens any easier “path to citizenship” than what has been offered before?

catmman on July 15, 2008 at 1:34 PM

Squid Shark on July 15, 2008 at 12:24 PM

projection..I’ve already advised you seek help for that.

right4life on July 15, 2008 at 2:08 PM

franksalterego on July 15, 2008 at 12:56 PM

at least I don’t tap tap tap for the republicans.

right4life on July 15, 2008 at 2:08 PM

We arent trying to get you on our side anymore.

Squid Shark on July 15, 2008 at 12:23 PM

and you think mccain won’t do that??

sure he won’t….if wishes were horses….in other words, keep dreamin.

right4life on July 15, 2008 at 2:09 PM

and you think mccain won’t do that??

sure he won’t….if wishes were horses….in other words, keep dreamin.

right4life on July 15, 2008 at 2:09 PM

No, he wont.

Thanks for translating that expression BTW.

Squid Shark on July 15, 2008 at 3:25 PM

That seems like a rather significant difference to me.

Different in the fact that Obama will immediately slit our throats while McCain will slowly bleed us out.

Sorry but come November, I’ll still be leaving the POTUS portion of my ballot blank.

The Ugly American on July 15, 2008 at 3:32 PM

No, he wont.

Thanks for translating that expression BTW.

Squid Shark on July 15, 2008 at 3:25 PM

uh yeah cause you say so. he has a long history of selling out conservatives, and his liberal policies will sell out the country. McObama…no difference between them.

right4life on July 15, 2008 at 3:47 PM

This dude is a drama queen!

if the person literally died in the arms of Jesus why is he complaining?

Chakra Hammer on July 15, 2008 at 5:26 PM

I think McCain would do a lot more to secure the border than Obama ever would. But the people who hate him for hate’s sake just don’t seem to care about that.

Terrye on July 15, 2008 at 7:37 PM

That seems like a rather significant difference to me.

Indeed.

I am all for secure borders… but I would also submit to the Latin American community this deal: Fence for guest workers + McCain path to citizenship which includes penalties for illegal conduct + more ports of entry & future economic aid tied to governance reform so there is less of a pent-up demand to come here and more freedom in the world.

Not amnesty by any means. Just tough love.

HotAirJosef on July 15, 2008 at 9:45 PM

Hey, if they had a fence up, that lady would not have made it into the desert to die. Support the fence to save lives!

Kevin M on July 15, 2008 at 11:49 PM