Obama: Immigration enforcement = terror

posted at 7:08 am on July 14, 2008 by Ed Morrissey

Barack Obama spoke to the National Council of La Raza and in one sentence managed to do what most Hot Air readers would consider the impossible — he put distance between himself and John McCain on immigration.  Calling the ICE terrorists, Obama made his position on border security and immigration enforcement plain.  He thinks they’re fascist:

When communities are terrorized by ICE immigration raids, when nursing mothers are torn from their babies, when children come home from school to find their parents missing, when people are detained without access to legal counsel, when all that is happening, the system just isn’t working, and we need to change it.

So now the US government is a terrorist organization? Not only does this demonstrate his demagoguery on immigration, it also shows his cluelessness in the war on terrorists. If he can’t tell the difference between al-Qaeda and ICE, then not only should he not be President, but Illinois needs to answer for his selection as a Senator.

The ICE raids workplaces when they have probable cause to suspect an employer of hiring illegal aliens. They arrest workers who have false IDs and/or cannot prove their identification. The ICE takes pains to find children who have been in school when these raids occur and no other guardian can be found, and unless I missed a news story, ICE agents do not tear babies from nursing mothers’ breasts. Does Obama have a citation for that, or does he just feel like lying to people to make ICE agents sound like Nazi brownshirts?

And if that’s what Obama thinks of ICE, why has he done nothing about them during the three years he’s been in the Senate?

Illegal workers wouldn’t get rounded up and arrested by ICE if they hadn’t entered the country illegally. When people break the law, they’d better be prepared to get arrested. If Obama wants to change that, then let him propose the bill that does it, which thus far in his career he has declined to do. Until then, Obama had better do some studying to learn the difference between American law enforcement and terrorists.

Update: The nursing story turns out to be true, at least partially:

Federal immigration agents were searching a house in Ohio last month when they found a young Honduran woman nursing her baby.

The woman, Saída Umanzor, is an illegal immigrant and was taken to jail to await deportation. Her 9-month-old daughter, Brittney Bejarano, who was born in the United States and is a citizen, was put in the care of social workers.

The story never claims that the baby was “torn” from her mother’s breast though; apparently ICE waited until Umanzor finished the feeding to arrest her. And pardon my indifference, but nursing mothers who break the law don’t have immunity from arrest and detention. (via Bill from Wizbang)

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2 3

right2bright on July 14, 2008 at 4:42 PM

Are you going to respond to my question about hiring illegals?

I’m not mean, but honest.

saiga on July 14, 2008 at 4:50 PM

I don’t know if you felt guilty doing so, and felt compelled to make ammends by sending them to school or not. I suspect that in spite of hiring illegals, you felt educating them was the right thing to do, and that is a good thing.

It also sounds like you were justly fined for hiring them and you paid your fine. That too is a good thing. But, I would have prefered you hired legal immigrants, which probably would have been available if the illegals hadn’t priced them out, or the immigration quotas were higher. No matter how you feel, illegal immigration is against the law and hireing them is against the law.

I hope you didn’t have any conflict with the IRS you felt compelled to solve using your own devices.

saiga on July 14, 2008 at 3:58 PM

Once again, you did not read the post. I hired them under the prescribed laws at the time. There was no way to check SS numbers, you could not ask if they were citizens, you could not ask what nationality. It was a Catch 22 (hence the EEOC even got nailed, as I posted).
Once Reagan issued his orders, then they could “come out” with inpunity.
Your snide comment to how glad I was fined, missed the point. I am sure you were glad a law abiding citizen was fined. We were following a law that couldn’t be followed. How would you feel if everyone you hired owned a dog you were fined, but you couldn’t ask them if they had a dog. So the IRS came in, asked them if they had a dog, 6 said yes and you were fined. Guess you were a law breaker, and you deserved to be fined. Look up the laws in 1986 and you will see and understand what I mean. Where you even working then? Sheesh…

right2bright on July 14, 2008 at 4:57 PM

Are you going to respond to my question about hiring illegals?

I’m not mean, but honest.

saiga on July 14, 2008 at 4:50 PM

I have a question for you…Do you sincerely feel you were contributing to the illegal immigration mess or not.
saiga on July 14, 2008 at 4:12 PM

Do you mean this one that you posted?
First of all, you are maybe not mean, but anyone who equates coming into the U.S., to killing them (figuratively), ain’t real nice.
I answered this, once I knew they were legal, under the guidelines of Reagan’s policy, they became legal if they had x number of months of pay, etc. (the ones who were not legal I fired), once I knew which ones could be tracked through the legal system. Then I put into place a way for them to fulfill the requirements. They were home purchasers, auto purchasers, they were productive members of the our society…and were given a chance to change their status, within certain legal guidelines.
You may have hated Reagan, I happen to be one that admired him, and his program was what a conservative is all about. Giving people the path to success, not a handout, but a path. They needed English skills to pass their citizenship, I had tutors come in, and I made it “mandatory” that no Spanish be spoken. They embraced it, they wanted to be citizens, they loved what the company and the country provided for them…legally.
BTW, your snide comment about being for the company, in case you don’t recognize it, you can be for your company, for society, for America all at once. It isn’t one or the other, get out of that mentality. That is like saying if your for aa environmentalists, you must be a liberal.

right2bright on July 14, 2008 at 5:10 PM

right2bright on July 14, 2008 at 4:57 PM

Oh yes, I was working. So, your story is that you were a victim? Whatever works.

saiga on July 14, 2008 at 5:14 PM

right2bright on July 14, 2008 at 5:10 PM

Also, nice try connecting dots that don’t connect. I never said I was for shooting illegal aliens and you know it. I made my position on that so crystal clear that even Ray Charles could see it.

I am a law and order guy, and advocate nothing that is against the law. I simply said if someone kicks in my door and breaks in my house, I will not hesitate to use the deadly force the law condones to protect my family. Going from there to shooting illiegal immigrants like the nazis did in Russia is not even close, but you know that.

By the way, I too was and am a Reagan fan..I don’t hold him responsible for the 1986 disaster because he was lied to by the democratic congress about fining guys like you that were victims and hired illegals as well as securing the border.

My point is sussinctly clear, legal Hispanic immigrants are good, illegal immigrants are law breakers that know for sure what they have done and know for sure it is against the law. Just because they are able to get employers to look the other way and employ the old tacticts of “liers can figure and figures can lie’ does not change the fact that the illegals have knowingly and willingly broken our laws.

saiga on July 14, 2008 at 5:27 PM

saiga on July 14, 2008 at 5:27 PM

You and I are a lot closer then you would care to admit. (just when you are posting about illegal immigrants, then use an analogy of shooting them, realize it is an easy connection).
Where we differ is you want to deport the productive ones, the ones that have made a life, who have contributed. I think that is too harsh. Like I said, run a red light and they don’t take your car away. I think more of it as a triage.
Fine them, like most law breakers, put them on probation, like many more serious law breakers.
We have plenty to do to catch the real problem, the ones in jail, the ones with felonies, the ones who are unemployed, the takers, not the givers.
When we get through using our resources to round up those hoodlums, then you will see (through attrition), a model society. One that is paying it’s way, that will integrate into America.
But, we have to have the right people in office…and we don’t (not talking about the Pres, I mean congress, state and local government).

right2bright on July 14, 2008 at 5:39 PM

right2bright on July 14, 2008 at 5:10 PM

How can you sit there and advocate rewarding these wanton law breakers with amnesty? How can this be rationalized?

Maybe because they are good people with an ugly secret that happen to put their own selfish interest ahead of the sovereign rules of the United States? I can understand their motivations. They have no contract with the US and frankly don’t give a damn about our laws. Their familys come first. That is their side of the leger.

Our side of the leger is different. To guys like me, the rule of law matters and any action to wantonly subvert the rule of law is anti American and a fundamental threat to our sovereignty, which by the way I hold as more important than the selfish interests of foreign nationals trying to make a buck here.

If they want to come play on our field, I believe they must play by our rules. Anything else is cheating, and cheaters are a problem that can not be tollerated.

How can you not understand that?

saiga on July 14, 2008 at 5:40 PM

So, your story is that you were a victim? Whatever works.

saiga on July 14, 2008 at 5:14 PM

Snide comment…our discussion is finished. Weasel…

right2bright on July 14, 2008 at 5:41 PM

I guess ICE ranks up there with the military in Obama’s eyes, he considers them all terrosists.

historian on July 14, 2008 at 5:44 PM

I mean whatever it takes, that is the first line. The line that should never be breached. Just like a fortified line in a battle, you don’t have it breache and expect not to have casualties.

right2bright on July 14, 2008 at 4:42 PM

So now who is advocating killing those crossing our borders illegally. -jk
Business owners even now have a hard time IDing Illegals. I respect you for having tried to follow the rules. The company I work for never even tried until recently when a company not far away got raided and they got a large fine. Now they make them go get a new SS number if the original doesn’t pan out. LOL What works for them now is leave them working for the temp agency if they cannot buy a decent SS number. This gives them some deniability if they get raided.
Also it is fairly easy here in Texas to get fake papers(just go to any flea market and there will be someone selling them) If you pay enough you can even get one that has the SS number and name matching properly.

Corsair on July 14, 2008 at 5:53 PM

Obama: When communities are terrorized by ICE immigration raids

I feel the same way about the IRS, Barry. When are we going to get rid of those terrorists?

jaime on July 14, 2008 at 5:54 PM

Snide comment…our discussion is finished. Weasel…

right2bright on July 14, 2008 at 5:41 PM

Whoah nelly. That was an old comment before you refined you position. However, you must admit that those dots were no less easy to connect as mine.

We will have to agree to disagree on the bottom line. You advocate to forgive and forget at whatever cost, and I advocate that people that knowingly and willingly break our laws must be held accountable.

My family has fought fot the United States, and i take our soverenity very seriously. When someone thinks they deserve to ignore it and are above our law while working here, I take it very seriously.

I believe that if we demonstrate that lying, cheating, and stealing are the best ways to get ahead in the US by granting amnesty, the biggest reward of all, their life experience is corrupted and their future voting judgement will be flawed. I see it already.

On the other hand, if we demonstrate that the long arm of the law will ultimately prevail and that lying, cheating, and stealing will catch up to you, we demonstate that obeying the law and respecting is the correct way to accomplish your goals.

Where am I wrong?

saiga on July 14, 2008 at 5:56 PM

This moron’s passport might say he’s an American but his heart and his mind say different. He’ll lead America, right down the path to destruction.

UnEasyRider on July 14, 2008 at 5:56 PM

Golly gee, all of a sudden Jorge Busho and Juan McAmnesty don’t look quite so bad, do they?

This is a Democrat for you. Play both sides of the issue, exploit the issue, offer no real solutions and accuse people doing their jobs of crimes against humanity.

Maybe some people do not have a problem with letting Obama win, but I would crawl over broken glass to vote Republican this year.

Terrye on July 14, 2008 at 6:13 PM

I don’t even know what ‘illegal immigrants’ are.
progressoverpeace on July 14, 2008 at 3:04 PM

My, aren’t we the coy one…you don’t know when someone posts the words “illegal immigrants”, you don’t know what they mean.
You are hereby confined to the children’s table, the adult table converses as adults, they don’t get into the “I don’t know what the obvious means, because I have a better definition”. Those words “illegal immigrants” have been used for about a dozen years. Ask the guy next to you in the short yellow bus what it means.

right2bright on July 14, 2008 at 4:40 PM

Adults don’t use euphemisms meant to obscure the issue because they lack backing for their point. These people are not ‘illegal immigrants’. They are illegal aliens.

And I think a history of “a dozen years” is pretty pathetic. A whole dozen? Wow. Why do you think no one used that term until about a dozen years ago? What were they called before that?

progressoverpeace on July 14, 2008 at 6:31 PM

Obama’s ass-kissing drivel reminds me of John Kerry’s comments about our ground forces in Iraq terrorizing “kids and children, you know, women, breaking sort of the customs – of – the historical customs, religious customs…Iraqis should be doing that!”

Really? Maybe the presumptive President of the United States would consider hiring a force comprised of Mexican nationals, give them green cards, uniforms and gear, a government mandate and arrest authority in all 50 states, and a guarantee of employment for five years, and let THEM round up and deport the illegals.

Would that fit the bill, Senator?

Dumbass!

grumpy_old_soldier on July 14, 2008 at 6:40 PM

Is Larry, Moe, and Curly writing Obama’s speeches now?

I’m not complaining, but Wow, just Wow.

Hog Wild on July 14, 2008 at 7:30 PM

You knew they were illegals. And you have obviously continued to break the law in this reagrd and are hoping for another amnesty from McCain. If it was up to me people like you would be kicked out of this country.

flenser on July 14, 2008 at 8:25 PM

Obama is a far left radical. How many times do you need to see and hear what should tell you that?

Whatever problems you may have had in the past with McCain on immigration, he is now talking about law enforcement first as a judgment of the American people and told La Raza that. McCain is right about a lot of issues (e.g., Iraq, nomination of strict constructionist judges, cutting federal spending); and even on immigration, McCain is being responsive in coming up with solutions for what is a problem. Obama, in contrast, is an ideologue and a demogogue.

Phil Byler on July 14, 2008 at 8:29 PM

if you overstay your visa (as almost half of the current undocumented/illegal aliens have), you have not committed a criminal violation by doing so.

Big S on July 14, 2008 at 12:57 PM

Yes, you have. Perhaps you mean you have not committed a felony if you overstay your visa. But you have committed a criminal act.

And once you get a job, you do commmit various felonies as well.

flenser on July 14, 2008 at 8:30 PM

He said nothing of the sort. There is no daylight between McCain and Obama on this issue. McCain will not accept “law enforcement first”.

Obama is a far left radical.

So is McMoron. He makes Bush look like Reagan.

flenser on July 14, 2008 at 8:32 PM

Is Larry, Moe, and Curly writing Obama’s speeches now?

Rudy Giuliani, who Morrissey is a fan of, said exactly the same thing about the INS – that they were terrorizing the poor ciminals.

flenser on July 14, 2008 at 8:34 PM

Well then you are for a guest worker program, good for you. And get off your high horse, you have to answer every post with your nasty rhetoric, it only shows that you don’t have faith in your argument, so you have to get personal.

Not2bright.

Yeah, we can’t have people getting personal, can we? I mean, we might end up accusing people of being racists advocating murder. Sure is lucky that we have people like you here to show us the high road.

flenser on July 14, 2008 at 8:40 PM

Yes, yes they do. The reason we have thirty million illegals washing around the country is because of scum like Bush and McCain. If they had been doing the jobs we pay them for, we would not even be discussing this issue today.

flenser on July 14, 2008 at 8:42 PM

To flenser:

McCain has been saying for more than six months that he is in favor of law enforcement first. Where have you been? To say that there is no difference between Obama and McCain on immigration is just false.

It is delusional to say,as you ridiculously do, that McCain is a far left radical. McCain. John McCain is a pro-life fiscal conservative who served his country as a Navy combat aviator and P.O.W., who has been a fiscal hawk and will cut Government spending, who has been right all along on Iraq and will insist on victory in Iraq, who has been and will be a hawk in foreign policy, who will cut the corporate tax rate to spur business, and who pledged to the Federalist Society in January 2007 and thereafter that he will nominate strict constructionists to the U.S. Supreme Court. ALL of those positions are CONSERVATIVE positions. McCain is not a doctrinaire conservative, to be sure; however, to equate Obama and McCain is STUPID, STUPID, STUPID.

Phil Byler on July 14, 2008 at 8:45 PM

not2brihgt

But why remove productive people? (why not use their productivity) I know, they are “criminals”, but you break a law speeding, the fine should fit the law that was broken. If they came here to be productive, and were, that is a lot different then not-productive. Trust me, if you own a business, you learn real fast that there are some illegal Mexicans I would trade for a “legal citizen” any day.

Translation – You’re a criminal. You support McAmnesty because you need the amnesty. You have lots of illegals working for you and you know it.

flenser on July 14, 2008 at 8:52 PM

He has said nothing of the sort. He supports “comprehensive immigration reform”. He does NOT support an “enforcement first” approach. There is a story on this on the front page here at HA. You just need to read it yourself and skip Morrisseys spin.

flenser on July 14, 2008 at 8:54 PM

Phil Byler

This is from McCains most recent groveling to “The Race”.

“One single, comprehensive bill — but first we have to assure the American people that the borders are secure,” he said, adding that if politicians fail to do that, “then we don’t pass the legislation.”

Is that clear enough? One single comprehensive bill. It will contain some stuff about securing the borders to fool the hicks.

flenser on July 14, 2008 at 9:04 PM

To flenser:

I take it that you are backing off from the absurd assertion that McCain is a far left radical.

Now, back off of the position that McCain has not been saying for more than six months that he supports law enforcement first. McCain has been. He has explained that the problem with the Reagan-era immigration reform (from which present problems date) is that the law enforcement provisions were not enforced. That McCain still would like to try comprehensive immigration reform is not inconsistent; it is that the proposed reform would have to do what the Reagan-era “reform” failed to so — law enforcement and do it first.

Phil Byler on July 14, 2008 at 9:08 PM

Ed Morrissey

Too late, Ed, but thanks for the thought. We answer for electing this POS every.single.day. But this is the state that has elected and re-elected Dick the Weenie Durbin, Rod the Hairdo Baloneyvich, Toddler Stroger and the Stroger Klan, and Little Richie da Mare in Chicago – Obama fits Illinois like a glove.

Jaibones on July 14, 2008 at 9:17 PM

Or should I say … like a condom? This state sucks, bad.

Jaibones on July 14, 2008 at 9:39 PM

Until we have the resolve to force the politicians to clog the open sewer pipe known as our southern border we can’t complain about there being shit all over the place.

Alden Pyle on July 14, 2008 at 10:13 PM

Get this guy back into the Senate, and let’s hope Illinois suffers a statewide seizure, and comes back to something like social sanity.

Hopefully, before his re-election campaign, his buddies Blagojevich, Stroger and Jones will be in prison.

Jaibones on July 14, 2008 at 11:37 PM

Sick, far left-wing pandering.

Paul-Cincy on July 15, 2008 at 1:34 AM

Amnesty for those who chose to come to our country illegally could artificially create 20M or more voters in a few short years after implementation. Imagine what 20M voters with loyalties to La Raza, their homeland governments, et al, would do to our nation. That is the single biggest threat to our rights as a sovereign nation of people. I believe that Americans have the fundamental right to decide who can and can not come into our nation and become a citizen. Our laws are being ignored and sabotaged by activist groups, state and local governments and Congress and the Executive branch to further their quest for those artificially created votes. They are selling America out for the vain promise of votes…

DrDeano on July 15, 2008 at 2:42 AM

Truth doesn’t require an apology, Ed. Well said.

Obama should be more angered that ICE doesn’t get to perform enough raids. I mean, how hard is it to understand? They are in the country illegally. Illegal. Illegal = police intervention last time I checked.

MannyT-vA on July 15, 2008 at 7:06 AM

flenser on July 14, 2008 at 8:52 PM

I didn’t see this.
Well get a new translator pal…If you have proof of any illegals that work for me, bring it forward, otherwise keep your stupid, foolish, ignorant, lying, mouth shut.
You can’t post without some lying disparaging comment…now, show the proof that I am a criminal.
You outa be banned, it is just a matter of time.

right2bright on July 15, 2008 at 8:03 AM

flenser on July 14, 2008 at 8:40 PM

You push and shove your stupid remarks, alway laced with personal attacks, and then when someone responds and tells you to sit down and shut up…you cry like a little baby.
Suck it up and stop the vindictive comments. I have every right to defend myself after your slew of garbage.
You’re an idiot.

right2bright on July 15, 2008 at 8:07 AM

right2bright on July 15, 2008 at 8:07 AM

last night I thought about the points you were attempting to make about the value of illegal immigrants. I understand each and every one of them. However, at the end of the day, you must admit that your efforts no doubt represented incentives that promotes more illegal immigration.

I still believe that illegal immigrants are well aware of the fact that they are willingly breaking our laws. I also believe they should be held accountable for that assault on our rule of law and they must me made to understand that lying, cheating, and stealing is not how to achieve your goals in America. Amnesty has an opposite effect, which will taint their judgement as future voters.

saiga on July 15, 2008 at 10:54 AM

right2bright on July 15, 2008 at 8:07 AM

Hey RIGHT2BRIGHT, you seem to have a hostile streak. What’s up with that? Yesterday, you chastized me for connecting your dots that you were a victim of the California laws. But, you were quick to connect my dots that I wanted to shoot illegal immigrants. That sound a little selective.

I understand your life experience with wonderfull illegal immigrant employees that were contributors, not takers. But it all boils down to priorities. What is more important, having quality worker illegal immigrants that are good people and want to work hard, or demonstrating the individual illegal immigrant wants are more more important than defending American soverenignty and our rule of law.

As you know, I believe the latter trumps the former. The way to move forward is to re-establish a baseline which makes an effort to return as many illegal immigrants as possible to demonstrate that the long arm of the law will catch up to their law breaking ways. From there, expanded quotas for legal immigration for citizenship, and a guestworker program for those just wanting a job.

I also believe the illegals should have their law breaking ways held against them, and should have to go to the end of the line. Then they will learn that ignoring our laws has a heavy consequence they can’t afford.

The US has failed to enforce our laws for too long and no doubt has some culpability in the problem. However, this is our Country, and we have home court advantage to fix things our way.

saiga on July 15, 2008 at 11:08 AM

Correction
What is more important, having quality worker illegal immigrants that are good people and want to work hard, or demonstrating the individual illegal immigrant wants are not more important than defending American soverenignty and our rule of law.

saiga on July 15, 2008 at 11:19 AM

The thing that cracks me up about Obama and the whiners at the NYT is that if these people had been around in the early 20th century they would have been clamoring for raids on the sweatshop factories that were exploiting immigrant workers. You would think the unions today would be clamoring for such raids, because these greedy factory owners are shutting out union labor and hiring illegals who will work for pennies. I guess they prefer to be quiet and support amnesty in the hope that someday they can unionize all these new citizens. Good luck with that!

rockmom on July 15, 2008 at 1:26 PM

On Sunday night we heard 4 gunshots in our neighborhood. Apparently our quiet streets have been infiltrated by gang members who, if they’ve been born here, have no allegiance to law and order or the country that gives them so much freedom and opportunity.
Somebody tell Barry that he has it backwards and if he scoffs, have him visit the barrio in LA or Nuevo Loredo. Too bad he doesn’t have the stones.

Christine on July 15, 2008 at 3:25 PM

Breastfeeding criminals should now have immunity?

AmericanDad on July 15, 2008 at 6:12 PM

saiga on July 15, 2008 at 10:54 AM

What rightbright needs to do tonight is make a compelling argument as to why the American taxpayers should continue funding services for these lawbreakers and their Anchor Babies with tax dollars and to continue lowering our standard of living…

DfDeportation on July 15, 2008 at 11:49 PM

Obama wants to be POTUS?

Presidente de Terroristas de United States?

originalpechanga on July 16, 2008 at 10:39 AM

DfDeportation on July 15, 2008 at 11:49 PM

The silence is deafening.

saiga on July 16, 2008 at 12:31 PM

What beats me in all this is that when the illegal immigration theme hit the Hotair front page in pre-Obama days, it was generally on the subject of some illegal murdering someone in a hit and run, child abuse, rape, etc. or just plain old traditional murder-with-a-gun.

In those cases it’s clear-cut, illegals who on top of their illegal immigration status then commit second offenses inside the country, should be tossed out.

Now, it’s not these over-the-top cases that are being profiled, but cases where the only crime is the illegal entry into the country. My take is, that if the ICE can’t manage to get rid of the real hard trash, then they shouldn’t then pick on the soft targets. It makes me wonder if they pick on them just because they are soft. Get rid of the second, third, fourth offenders first, the a-holes that drive around without a licence, drunk and have already been hauled in for sexual or other offenses, minor or otherwise.

My understanding is that there are tens of thousands of those in the country. Surely it’s a pure waste of time going after small-time illegals like mothers with kids, if genuinely dangerous illegal immigrants are walking around free. In fact it’s worse than a waste of time, it’s completely counter-productive, as it mobilises people in favour of illegals.

Aylios on July 16, 2008 at 2:18 PM