NYT notices Obama disgust on “Far Left”

posted at 10:05 am on July 13, 2008 by Ed Morrissey

How far Left do people have to be for the New York Times to call them “far Left”?  MoveOn?  International ANSWER?  Young Communists?  William Yardley discovers them in — surprise! — Portland, Oregon, and also discovers that the natives are restless after the last few weeks of Barack Obama flip-flops:

In the breathless weeks before the Oregon presidential primary in May, Martha Shade did what thousands of other people here did: she registered as a Democrat so she could vote for Senator Barack Obama.

Now, however, after critics have accused Mr. Obama of shifting positions on issues like the war in Iraq, the Bush administration’s program of wiretapping without warrants, gun control and the death penalty — all in what some view as a shameless play to a general election audience — Ms. Shade said she planned to switch back to the Green Party.

“I’m disgusted with him,” said Ms. Shade, an artist. “I can’t even listen to him anymore. He had such an opportunity, but all this ‘audacity of hope’ stuff, it’s blah, blah, blah. For all the independents he’s going to gain, he’s going to lose a lot of progressives.”

To answer my first question, the far Left appears to be people who switched from the Green Party to Democrat because of Barack Obama.  Now some of them have switched back out of disillusion, including Ms. Shade.  Given that her windows feature slogans such as “Occupation is Terrorism” and “Free Gaza”, she doesn’t exactly represent the mainstream — as even she admits.

(By the way, free Gaza — from whom?  Does Shade know that Israel doesn’t occupy Gaza any longer, but that Hamas does?)

Jeralyn Merritt, however, “occupies” a spot closer to the mainstream among the Left, and she has the same disgust:

I see no transformational quality to either Obama or his candidacy. Obama said he was a new kind of politician. He sold an entire younger generation on the theory of change, a new kind of politics in Washington and he’s delivered the status quo. He’s shown us that on FISA, the death penalty, guns, religion, Iraq, Afghanistan and trade policy (so far) he’s all about preserving the status quo and not rocking the boat in his quest for votes. How much more “politics as usual” can you get? …

How does anyone know what Obama really believes or, even more problematic, what beliefs he’ll decide are worth expending political capital on once he’s elected?

Jeralynn will still wind up voting for Obama, but the disillusionment with Obama has started in earnest with his votes on FISA reform, and that will matter.  Obama gave up public financing — another source of disillusionment — and now needs to spend his time on fundraising more than he otherwise would.  The lack of enthusiasm among Democrats from the former Greenies to Hillary Clinton supporters like Jeralynn will impact Obama’s ability to raise funds with the alacrity he enjoyed in February.

McCain — who has had similar problems with his Republican base — has two distinct advantages here.  First, the “disillusionment” with McCain came a long time before he won the nomination, and the base has had a lot longer to get used to that in terms of his candidacy.  Second, McCain doesn’t have to do as much fundraising as Obama will, since he’s accepted public financing, although he’ll still need to do some of it for the RNC.

The transformative veneer has been stripped from Obama, leaving the opportunist exposed for all to see.  Obama may have peaked already.

Comments

Anybody to the left of McCain is far left.

DAT60A3 on July 13, 2008 at 10:10 AM

I hope HA readers aren’t fooled by these types of stories.

The NY Times is trying to make independents thinks he’s one of them.

He’s still a leftist.

faraway on July 13, 2008 at 10:11 AM

Said as the shark goes whizzing by under Barry’s skis. Myself, I reached the can’t stand-to-listen-to-him point about a month ago. I suspect come November, it’ll be the overwhelmingly prevailing view.

Typhoon on July 13, 2008 at 10:12 AM

Obama may have peaked already.

It is pretty much a fair assessment to say that B.O. most likely peaked somewhere in the middle of the very first Democratic Candidates Debate. It’s just that no one noticed.

pilamaye on July 13, 2008 at 10:12 AM

Are the superdelegates NY Times reconsidering Hillary?

JiangxiDad on July 13, 2008 at 10:15 AM

How far Left do people have to be for the New York Times to call them “far Left”? MoveOn? International ANSWER? Young Communists? William Yardley discovers them in — surprise! — Portland, Oregon, and also discovers that the natives are restless after the last few weeks of Barack Obama flip-flops:

Who the NYT calls “far Left”?
That really is funny. And I suppose that Portland Oregon shouldn’t be too much of a surprise.

wise_man on July 13, 2008 at 10:15 AM

DAT60A3

For the directionally challenged*, to the left of McCain is center. McCain has always been right of center, albeit some times farther right than at others.
*directionally challenged, or blinded by MDS

jgapinoy on July 13, 2008 at 10:16 AM

faraway on July 13, 2008 at 10:11 AM

Ha yeah. “Hey look, some woman who probably holds her nose voting green because they are too right wing is upset with Obama! He’s totally centrist!”

Dash on July 13, 2008 at 10:18 AM

A funny, and not so funny take on Portland by some writer at BrusselsJournal.

I am on the MAX Red Line light rail car going from downtown Portland to the Airport. Some things socialists do better. Among them are public transportation, recycling, French poetry readings, yoga, coffee, artisan food and arthouse cinema. Would it that the counterscale were not so much more loaded.

Two hefty women in Birkenstocks and Nordic sweaters sit on the bench in front of me. They are either academics or lesbians or both. Portland is a babe magnet for this kind of babes.

One of them, silver bangles jangling, is showing a souvenir purchase to the other. It’s a garden gnome, complete with a red cap and a Walt Disney tunic stretched taut over a rotund belly. The face, though, is less jovial than one expects on a gnome. An etched inscription on the base reads, “Howard Zinn.”

We are leaving Zinnlandia, after all – that great land of the Pacific Northwest, rich in good wine, including zinfandel, and other bounties of nature. Howard Zinn and his doppelgänger, Noam Chomsky, are to the coastal zones of this blessed land what St. Patrick is to the Emerald Isle. And, like Finlandia, Jutlandia and Hollandia, Zinnlandia too has much Northern European DNA.

Zinnlandia is in Amerikka – that racist, capitalist land of injustice, sexism, specieism, lookism, theism, militarism and homophobia. As a material and cultural Marxist, and skillful propagandist, Zinn – a master of sieving American history for its worst nuggets – is the perfect avatar for the self-flagellating white inhabitant of this land.

JiangxiDad on July 13, 2008 at 10:27 AM

I can’t describe how offended I am to see this arrogant flip-flopper wearing the flag pin now.

How many commenters here would join me in ripping that flag pin off of his lapel and replacing it with a hammer and sickle?

fogw on July 13, 2008 at 10:29 AM

The NYT doesn’t seem to be at all bothered by radical left organizations, when it serves their interest.

But a moderate Democrat like John McCain bothers the NYT all the time.

The NYT needs to make their mind how their going to act.

Speakup on July 13, 2008 at 10:31 AM

The NY Times is trying to make independents thinks he’s one of them.

Maybe so. But there are far more committed lefties reading the NYT than there are undecided independents. So if your theory is correct, aren’t articles like these something of a risk?

Missy on July 13, 2008 at 10:31 AM

Maybe I should pray to God and thank Him that I was born in Texas and hippie land (like Portland, ORE) sometime.

terryannonline on July 13, 2008 at 10:38 AM

Ha! I forgot the ‘not’ in my last post.

terryannonline on July 13, 2008 at 10:39 AM

Now if we could just get Barry to admit that Bill Ayers and Bernadine Dohrn are not “mainstream” despite his ludicrous protestations to the contrary…

Buy Danish on July 13, 2008 at 10:40 AM

Obama is way to the left of McCain. I think there are some people out there who do not realize how many honest to God America haters there are on the left. There was no way Obama could appease those people and still win a general election. I think he played them, but then again they have to realize that they are not mainstream. No one who would satisfy them could win a general.

And while McCain may have problems with some of his base, for the most part he is supported by rank and file Republicans. For instance, in the primary the only other Republican who really came close to McCain was Huckabee and the base does not care much for him either.

I am beginning to think that both parties need to rethink who their base is.

Terrye on July 13, 2008 at 10:41 AM

By the way, free Gaza — from whom? Does Shade know that Israel doesn’t occupy Gaza any longer, but that Hamas does?)

Don’t confuse her with facts. People like her care about feelings and catchy slogans; facts don’t matter.

AZCoyote on July 13, 2008 at 10:44 AM

terryannonline on July 13, 2008 at 10:38 AM

Hey, c’mon, I live in Austin and spent a week in Portland just a month or so ago.

Portland’s just Austin with less heat and more bicycles.

Typhoon on July 13, 2008 at 10:45 AM

Typhoon on July 13, 2008 at 10:45 AM

I kid, I kid.

terryannonline on July 13, 2008 at 10:48 AM

Gaza is the Hell Hole that Arafat created with US and UN Funding!

Why is Jimmy Carter not resident there with his new Habitat for Terrorism group? Building Safe Houses and Warehouses for weapons?

The IDF needs to burn Gaza as the rat hole that it truly is.
Or Else!

old trooper on July 13, 2008 at 10:51 AM

I don’t know about the rest of you but I’m getting tired of every other feature on Hot Air being about Obama.

Ernest on July 13, 2008 at 10:58 AM

Obama may have peaked already.

Obama has peaked already

Gaza is the Hell Hole that Arafat created with US and UN Funding!

Now Arafat is in a Hell Hole that God created.

I think that people won’t switch their votes against Obama and vote for McCain but they just won’t vote, or they’ll vote Green Party or something like that. If you live by the identity politics sword you will die by the identity politics sword.

With Obama there is simply no “there” there. He’s the date who’s into whatever your into. When he needed more credulity with the black community in Chicago to get elected, he went to a racist America hating pastor. When he needed the Dhimmicrat nomination he veered hard left. Now he needs middle America so he veers to the middle. The BHO bus has charted a meandering pandering course across the political landscape. At least the BHO bus is saving gas by throwing so many of those aboard underneath it.

Mojave Mark on July 13, 2008 at 11:06 AM

Ernest on July 13, 2008 at 10:58 AM

Is that because you are already working to defeat him, or because you support him?

JiangxiDad on July 13, 2008 at 11:08 AM

Anybody to the left of McCain is far left.

DAT60A3 on July 13, 2008 at 10:10 AM

Juan “Z-Visa” Mccain is Far-Left…

DfDeportation on July 13, 2008 at 11:18 AM

I’m in Austin, too, Typhoon. Are you excited about the nutroots’ convention next weekend?

Missy on July 13, 2008 at 11:19 AM

Mojave Mark

They may also not give any more money. Obama’s June numbers still aren’t out, and his refusal of public financing was justified in part by the argument that the small donations that had fueled his campaign thus far were true “public financing” from the “people.” He expected that their money would continue to roll in (and also that he’d have their unpaid volunteer time).

When that money dries up, he has to go to the big bundlers and fundraisers. He’s “just another politician,” then, going after special interest and fatcat money and also one who has to take time away from campaigning to raise money.

Wethal on July 13, 2008 at 11:21 AM

Missy on July 13, 2008 at 11:19 AM

See, what I think we should do is dress up like Leslie, paint up some signs saying Barry sold us progressives out, and get some airtime calling him “just another politician” and proclaiming we’re going to not be sending him any more money until he announces support for our Ten Point Progressive Program.

Hell, I’ll bet I can come up with one the ‘roots would go batsh*t over.

Plus we can say that we think it’d be the sustainable thing to do to turn off the a/c in the convention center to show our love for The Great Earth Mother Gaia.

*Chortle*

Typhoon on July 13, 2008 at 11:36 AM

classic.. These leftys kill me, the best part is most Palestinians here testifying to refusing to give up Israel if the PA forms a state, they want no part of it – Who can blame them, freedom to worship, free health care, free social services, a job and the garbage actually gets picked up as opposed to being strewn on the street.

I asked my Arab neighbor about it once, he laughed out loud. They were BBQ’ing and enjoying the fireworks on Israel’s independence day here a few weeks ago in Tel Aviv.. He was born in Gaza, his children in Israel. He doesn’t have any free Gaza signs in his window, nor does he seem to mind the huge Israeli flag hanging off my balcony. His 2 youngish kids speak fluent hebrew, the daughter listens to pop music, his wife who is full on Muslim wears a head covering and thanks me in Arabic when I occasionally help her carry the grocery bags up 4 flights of stairs, and he doesn’t stop pestering me to please come clean up all the spamware on his PC.

The Ms. Shades of this world truly are clueless moonbats.
Vote OBambi!

saus on July 13, 2008 at 11:43 AM

According to someone on the Chris Matthews Sunday show (promoting Obama), “his very being expresses the melding of different cultures“.

And he was a community organizer.

Sounds like a unicorn with a social worker degree.

My new bumper sticker:

OBANANAS.

profitsbeard on July 13, 2008 at 11:44 AM

See, what I think we should do is dress up like Leslie

Heh, awesome idea. I bet even Leslie would applaud the effort; he has a strong, uh, independent streak.

I bet there will be lots of talk of an Obama sellout regardless, though. Probably an even split between the remaining proggie Obama fans and the folks that are beginning to see the writing on the wall.

Wait till they find out Sixth Street doesn’t recycle.

Missy on July 13, 2008 at 11:54 AM

The transformative veneer has been stripped from Obama, leaving the opportunist exposed for all to see. Obama may have peaked already.

Don’t count your chickens before they’ve hatched. He’s doing this flip-flopping several months before the election and he’s accumulating quotes from whack jobs talking about disillusionment with him. What then stops him from coming out after the conventions and saying: “Well, you know, I’m attacked from the right for being too liberal and I’m attacked by liberals for being too conservative. I don’t focus on labels, I only focus on bringing change and moving America forward.” In other words, from triangulating himself back to the center…

I guess the question is, how do we tell if Obama has been so hamhanded in his triangulating that he comes across as being a phony to the average voter?

Outlander on July 13, 2008 at 11:54 AM

I thought that rain on the night that Obama gives his acceptance speech in the outdoor stadium in Denver would be the worst that could happen (Or the day before – imagine the fun of wiping off all those wet seats).

Now I’m wondering if a lot of empty seats would be worse. I recall some blog postings somewhere a few months back that showed long-angle views of Obama’s rallys. There were a lot of empty seats, but the MSM only showed close-ups of the stage with the chairs filled up with the faithful.

Wethal on July 13, 2008 at 12:03 PM

Now I’m wondering if a lot of empty seats would be worse.

I doubt there would a lot of empty seats. If people don’t show up in masses they will find people to fill those seats.

terryannonline on July 13, 2008 at 12:17 PM

Had a good laugh watching Georgie Porgie’s ‘Round Table’ this morning agree that Barack’s coming Iraq trip will strip McCain of being able to go after Obama on the situation there. McCain might lose some ground, but the lefty mobs are going to howl.

Sure would be nice to pull OR out of Barry’s EV bucket.

Limerick on July 13, 2008 at 12:21 PM

Maybe Cynthia McKinney can sway some of Glowbama’s disillusioned vote over to the Greens.

JammieWearingFool on July 13, 2008 at 12:26 PM

terryannonline on July 13, 2008 at 12:17 PM

You can cheat to a degree in a stadium, because you can put the stage in the middle of the stadium and, thus, you only need to fill the seats in front of the stage. Obama did this in one of his rallies, except he had to put his stage almost at the end of the field…. Looked great on the news, until someone leaked the photo showing that 75% of the stadium was empty.

I would think Obama would need a minimum of 30,000 people in the stands for his acceptance speech. He should be able to get that many people — but I would be shocked if he actually sold out the stadium, especially with all the universities still on summer break.

Outlander on July 13, 2008 at 12:33 PM

Now I’m wondering if a lot of empty seats would be worse.

terryannonline on July 13, 2008 at 12:17 PM

Maybe the homeless people that Denver was trying to get to stay out of sight and go to the zoo while the Dems were in town?

It would be funny if the Dems were seen going around handing our free tickets and trying to get people to come. Although I expect a lot of non-delegates might turn out just out of curiosity.

Wethal on July 13, 2008 at 12:33 PM

Great post and job of breaking it down! Green PartyFormer Rep. Cynthia McKinney is expected to accept the party nomination for president.

Karmi on July 13, 2008 at 12:35 PM

Wethal on July 13, 2008 at 12:33 PM

All I know that the Dems are really media savvy and they know that the empty seats will not reflect good.

Also, this election has been built up as “historical.” So I doubt people will pass up the chance to come to this event (even if they aren’t sure who they are voting for, yet).

terryannonline on July 13, 2008 at 12:48 PM

Hey, you folks have your “wingnuts” we have our “nutroots”.

Who do ya think the “nutroots are goin’ to vote for, Bob Barr , Ron Paul or Ralph Nader?

Is Nader runnin’…?

“…this election has been built up as “historical.” terryannonline on July 13, 2008 at 12:48 PM

They’ll come around, they always do; just like your ‘WING NUTS”…!

J_Gocht on July 13, 2008 at 12:54 PM

The Looney Left can whine all they want about BHO but when it comes right down to it, there’s only one horse they’re gonna bet on in this race. Since Lenin’s dead that only leaves Obama.

second digit on July 13, 2008 at 1:01 PM

They’ll come around, they always do; just like your ‘WING NUTS”…!

J_Gocht on July 13, 2008 at 12:54 PM

Perhaps, but how much money will they shell out for a guy who has explicitly repudiated the positions they support? That is Obama’s big gamble. Having eschewed public financing he needs every dollar he can get from the base and the special interests in order to woo indpendents, without whom he can’t win. A very difficult needle to thread.

I predict he will seriously regret his decision on public financing; it may be the single biggest mistake of the campaign so far.

Missy on July 13, 2008 at 1:02 PM

They’ll come around, they always do; just like your ‘WING NUTS”…!

If I were to write a book I think I would title it, “Crazies to the Left of Me….. and also the Right Me.”

terryannonline on July 13, 2008 at 1:05 PM

Obama still has his promise to help Hillary retire her campaign debt, too. And while she’s introduced him to some big donors, I don’t think she’s turned over her complete donor mailing list, yet.

Wethal on July 13, 2008 at 1:05 PM

terryannonline on July 13, 2008 at 1:05 PM

True. Ron Paul is having his Liberty Convention in St. Paul at the same time as the GOP, isn’t he?

Wethal on July 13, 2008 at 1:07 PM

Obama’s been attempting a political version of run out the clock ever since his campaign concluded that he had an unassailable numerical lead in the Democratic contest, in a Democratic year.

To ensure the top prize and hold off any late surge by McCain, the O-Team would like to recover at least some of the old momentum, but it’s very hard once you’ve lost it to re-gain it: The messianic moments in the St Paul victory speech occasioned ridicule. Moving the nomination acceptance speech to a stadium and trying to get a platform at the Brandenburg Gate suggest more explicit efforts to re-capture the magic of the Iowa to South Carolina moment, now on a nation- and world-bestriding scale, but that won’t be easy, may be impossible, and may even hurt more than it helps.

Many rightwing critics, including inveterate McCain haters or at least McCain skeptics from way back, are impatient for the McCain campaign to unload on the Obama campaign with both barrels and a couple grenades, too. There are many reasons why doing so right now might not make sense, not least because the swing voters are only just barely paying attention. Much of the effort would be wasted, and would never satisfy the bloodthirsty types anyway. Going on the attack too viciously would also raise McCain’s negatives while he’s trying to position himself as the safe, comfortable, positive, trustworthy alternative to the risk of the untested newcomer. It also would tend to awaken and rally Obama’s base, give Obama openings to counterattack, and expose McCain’s strategy, and possibly leave him over-committed.

In the meantime, the fact that McCain is easily within striking distance, if not tied, in most national opinion polls, suggests that he’s been playing the hand he’s been dealt fairly well. The platforms, approaches, and candidates being pushed by his harshest critics on the right probably would be doing at least as badly as their boosters imagine McCain is.

CK MacLeod on July 13, 2008 at 1:11 PM

CK MacLeod on July 13, 2008 at 1:11 PM

Excellent insights and great commment. Thank you.

Missy on July 13, 2008 at 1:17 PM

Outlander on July 13, 2008 at 11:54 AM

If Barry was a regular politician with a regular resume, I’d go along with all that.

But he’s not.

The bad news for Barry that’s always been there in pain sight to at least a few of us is that in order to be for him you have to believe in him.

Not in what he stands for or what he’s done to earn his right to ask us to give him the job of president because neither exist.

You have to believe in the transformative power of him.

I have never for a moment believed enough people would believe for him to stand a chance of being elected. It’s as Ed said, he’s passed his sell-by date. It’s also as the heart-broken artist in the article said, not only does there come a point where you tune him out, past that is the point where his entire act is just freaking too annoying to listen to.

Typhoon on July 13, 2008 at 1:19 PM

second digit on July 13, 2008 at 1:01 PM

Trigger finger, that’s what I like about you…immediate, defined target evaluation and immediate reaction and action to the situation at hand!

Hey, I’m only the spotter.

J_Gocht on July 13, 2008 at 1:24 PM

“For all the independents he’s going to gain, he’s going to lose a lot of progressives.” Yea, Obama has Baracked all over their brown shirts.
I love how the more ‘moderate’ lefty (Jeralynn) will still vote for Barry Whosane despite all his wafflin’. This is why I won’t waste my time sending articles like this to my liberal brother who is full to bursting with white guilt. He told me that he’s a good judge of character and he feels that Obama is a nice guy. I don’t know what that has to do with being the leader of the free world even if it were true.

Christine on July 13, 2008 at 1:38 PM

Mojave Mark on July 13, 2008 at 11:06 AM

This is Barack’s total sum energy plan….

Note to Mojave Mark (and all other commentators): please highlight and separate your funnys from the rest of your monologues… it being Sunday and all I don’t want to have to “work” to find them…

Thanks.

Mcguyver on July 13, 2008 at 1:40 PM

“The NY Times is trying to make independents thinks he’s one of them.
He’s still a leftist.”
- faraway on July 13, 2008 at 10:11 AM

Exactly. The more The Obamboozler loses the advantage to McCain, the more Obi’s press-handmaiden pump out the “he’s just a regular guy” cr*p.

“Missy,” (10:31am) I disagree that the NYT has more far-left than centrist readers; take my sister (please!) for one…but, it is – sadly – still seen by too many as a source of credible ‘journalism’ (sic).

Lockstein13 on July 13, 2008 at 1:43 PM

Many rightwing critics … are impatient for the McCain campaign to unload on the Obama campaign with both barrels and a couple grenades, too… Going on the attack too viciously would also raise McCain’s negatives while he’s trying to position himself as the safe, comfortable, positive, trustworthy alternative to the risk of the untested newcomer. *** In the meantime, the fact that McCain is easily within striking distance…in most national opinion polls, suggests that he’s been playing the hand he’s been dealt fairly well.
CK MacLeod on July 13, 2008 at 1:11 PM

My concern stems from the notion that it’s harder to inspire people to vote “against” a candidat than to vote “for” a candidate. Is McCain really wise by positioning himself as the “default” choice for voters who decide to vote against Obama? And what does being the “default” choice say about your energy and enthusiasm for running–both questions voters will have in their minds given McCain’s age?

I don’t want to see McCain go out there and viciously attack Obama. But he needs to do something other than run ad after ad after ad saying “I was a POW, vote for me!”

Outlander on July 13, 2008 at 1:47 PM

Lockstein13 on July 13, 2008 at 1:43 PM

I’m not entirely positive on that myself and was just wondering what the percentage of truly undecided independent NYT readers really is, compared to the committed Obamites. But you are certainly right that the Times is considered the gold standard in manistream journalism (*sigh*).

Missy on July 13, 2008 at 1:53 PM

CK MacLeod on July 13, 2008 at 1:11 PM

in·vet·er·ate [in-vet-er-it] –adjective
1. settled or confirmed in a habit, practice, feeling, or the like: an inveterate gambler.
2. firmly established by long continuance, as a disease, habit, practice, feeling, etc.; chronic.

….

Your obvious shilling for Juan McShanesty and disdain for intelligent justifiable critics of the same is not missed nor has it escaped us.

Such idiots, you and all McCain shills are, supporting his arrogant immigration reform, calling us “obstructionists”, bigots and racists.
And even today his pandering conference call with La Raza is proof of the same.

All you inveterate McCain supporters have a disease called “arrogant-better-than-thou”.
And since you have set the rules as the aggressors, the remedy for you is the severest of criticisms, calling you for what you are, you fucking bastards!!

Mcguyver on July 13, 2008 at 1:59 PM

CK MacLeod on July 13, 2008 at 1:11 PM

Mcguyver on July 13, 2008 at 1:59 PM

We that does it. The nominations are hereby closed and the over-reacting trophy goes to Mcguyver.

If there’s ever been a more over-the-top, out-of-proportion response to a more rational and well-presented opinion here at HA, I haven’t seen it, and I don’t want to.

Typhoon on July 13, 2008 at 2:08 PM

I’m disappointed; this is not the Far Left that I knew…

Dale in Atlanta on July 13, 2008 at 2:15 PM

It’s not as though McCain has no positive issues to run on or lacks for an inspiring personal story. Being relatively safe and trustworthy also means inspiring confidence that when he promises a commitment to strategic energy independence, an economic growth agenda, needed reforms, and a robust defense policy, it means something. Anyway, my point is that the positioning now creates the background – or shapes the battlefield if you prefer military metaphors – for the final struggle. Many tactical and even strategic adjustments still will be made. In the meantime, creating the underlying sense for swingers that, if undecided, it’s OK to vote for this particular R would be a pretty good accomplishment.

All the more reason to be ready, rested, and on the offense when the real fight begins.

I don’t see him doing that at all. If that’s what it looks like to you and others, it may be a testament to how far we are from the “real” campaign. Very little of the Summertime sparring will be remembered in November – some impressions at most. That overall they may be working in McCain’s favor is suggested by the closer-than-expected horse race.

CK MacLeod on July 13, 2008 at 2:21 PM

This is what we call “The Duh Moment”, the moment where space cadets finally come to the realization that their stupidity is not mainstream and that everything a Dem candidate said in support of their regressive ideas was simple lip service to snag votes in a primary.

It’s the old “How could Nixon win? I don’t know anyone who voted for him!” dilusion of the hardcore adherants of the American Left.

I believe the abject ignorance of the current Gaza situation in itself speaks volumes about people like the woman from Oregon and the rest of the suddenly upset with Obama crowd on the left. They’re that segment of society that can be fooled all of the time.

SuperCool on July 13, 2008 at 2:31 PM

The NYT is “for” She whom the NYT was always for! When it was very apparent that Barry’s ‘Change’ meme would subsume Herself’s ‘Look at my Experience’ and then ‘Look at my Crotch Contents’ campaign themes, they dutifully began a Praise Barry schtick. Now that the veneer has pretty much worn off of Barry, the Slimes can slowly-but-surely work to sink him in time for ‘RatFest08 and the Ascendance of Herself and The First Laddie (gasp, choke wretch…)

GeneSmith on July 13, 2008 at 2:33 PM

The NYT’s first priority is to help Obama. Like Olbermann, as Obama tacks to the center, the newspaper will follow. It will adopt much of the terminology we use.

AbaddonsReign on July 13, 2008 at 2:37 PM

I hope HA readers aren’t fooled by these types of stories.

The NY Times is trying to make independents thinks he’s one of them.

He’s still a leftist.

faraway on July 13, 2008 at 10:11 AM

I wouldn’t think the Times is self-aware enough to do that. They think they’re “mainstream,” so their analysis and opinions are the “voice of reason.” It probably never occurs to them to try something Machiavellian like that.

smithinmich on July 13, 2008 at 3:28 PM

“…Dick Morris, I think, put it best when he said that the 2008 election is a referendum on Obama and that McCain was merely “the other guy running.” Your comments seem consistent with that observation. Outlander on July 13, 2008 at 1:47 PM

This is the character the “Lumbering Leviathan from Palm Beach” used to refer to as the “Clinton toe sucker”…?

Have you and the “Big Boye” all done a “political dolphin” since Dickey thinks he can get his bread “better buttered” on the “right side”?

Just asking…!

J_Gocht on July 13, 2008 at 3:29 PM

Just asking…!

J_Gocht on July 13, 2008 at 3:29 PM

Morris is an expert at two things: (1) hoovering the fungus off an escort’s feet in under 30 seconds and (2) electoral politics. He’s not infallible at the latter, certainly, but he’s pretty good and I thought his observation was on-point.

Outlander on July 13, 2008 at 4:37 PM

“…He’s not infallible at the latter, certainly, but he’s pretty good and I thought his observation was on-point. Outlander on July 13, 2008 at 4:37 PM

So I can take that for a “Yes”… you’re goin’ with the olde Big boye, “toe sucker”…?

J_Gocht on July 13, 2008 at 4:55 PM

That I doubt. He is “ripping the bandage” off fast taking the pain all at once rather than spreading it out, drip, drip, drip. Actually pretty smart as there is less pain that way.

MB4 on July 13, 2008 at 5:03 PM

Jeralyn, that is what he believes, GET ELECTED.

burt on July 13, 2008 at 5:29 PM