A commander-in-chief who fears the military? Vero possumus!

posted at 12:10 pm on July 12, 2008 by Ed Morrissey

John McCain has accepted an invitation to appear at a nationally-televised town hall meeting next month organized by a coalition of support organizations.  Despite pleas from the group, Barack Obama has refused to appear at the same event, underscoring his desire to avoid extemporaneous exchanges with John McCain, especially on military matters in which he has no experience at all.  The Fort Hood group has offered to change dates, but Obama remains obstinate:

“Senator Obama strongly supports America’s veterans and military families and has worked hard on their behalf in the Senate,” said Phillip Carter, director of Mr. Obama’s veterans effort and an Iraq war veteran. “While we unfortunately had a previously scheduled commitment on the date proposed, Senator Obama looks forward to continuing the dialogue he’s been having throughout the country with veterans on how we can better serve our men and women in uniform as they serve us.”

Carissa Picard, managing director of the Fort Hood Presidential Town Hall Consortium, said she had suggested Aug. 11 and asked the campaign to suggest other dates if that was not convenient, but after several conversations she had not been able to work anything out.

“I’m having extreme difficulty getting the Obama campaign to commit to this event, and we do not understand why,” said Ms. Picard, whose husband is deployed in Iraq. “We made it very clear to them that if they would commit to the event, we would work with them on dates.”

On several occasions, Obama challenged McCain to debate foreign policy and the war, “anywhere, any time”.   Here’s a clip showing one such challenge from May:

What are we to make of this? The man who wants to be Commander-in-Chief lacks the testicular fortitude to appear before military groups to make his case in an open format? That hardly suggests Obama as a man who can lead a nation during a time of war, nuclear proliferation, and terrorism.What makes this a little more ironic is that the crowd would probably be more sympathetic to Obama than some might think. Military families have sacrificed and endured much over the last five years, and they want to see the Iraq war come to some sort of conclusion. Obama, if he had any courage at all, has the opportunity to make a case among open minds. How open will those minds be when it becomes clear that Obama can’t face them?

Instead of Vero Possumus, perhaps the motto on Obama’s seal should have been Vero Pusillanimous.

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2

patrick:

No matter what the RNC or the McCain did or said there would be people who did not like it, thought it sucked and were firmly convinced they could do better. I gave them some money myself, I would not say they did not deserve it. I don’t want Obama to win. That is my first priority. I am honestly not sure what the best approach would be. It seems to me that people are tuning a lot of it right now.

Terrye on July 12, 2008 at 5:02 PM

Has The Messiah now thrown himself under the bus?

Dingbat63 on July 12, 2008 at 5:02 PM

Terrye,

Military power comes from economic power.

We are at least fated to be out of Asia in 10 years…voluntarily or by force.

alphie on July 12, 2008 at 5:06 PM

Has The Messiah now thrown himself under the bus?

Dingbat63 on July 12, 2008 at 5:02 PM

Heh! His main concern may be no teleprompters allowed & no media reporters asking the “questions”.

Anita on July 12, 2008 at 5:14 PM

Wethal on July 12, 2008 at 3:40 PM

Love it!

Connie on July 12, 2008 at 5:16 PM

Figure inflation would have put the defense at $350 billion…I’d recommend wacking it in half.

Start with the war in Iraq and the F-35 and keep going ’til we hit bone.

alphie on July 12, 2008 at 4:34 PM

Very interesting proposal. The military budget is a smaller item than the entitlements and is very low as a percentage of the GDP from a historic perspective. John Kennedy’s defense budget was higher and we were not at war.

Why don’t we start with the biggest thing in the budget, or should I say what is NOT in the budget. It is “off budget”. Does anyone know what “off budget” means? It means the U.S. government knows most of us are idiots.

Lets wack Social Security and Medicare and every other entitlement ? That is why China and India are growing like crazy and we are floundering. This latest bank scandal, 5 trillion they are saying, is another example. The Donks (and a few sorry ace Republicans) greased their own palms and their electoral prospects by doling out trillions in crappy loans. That, not the military budget, is going to choke us. They want to bail out the lenders and borrowers. Just that amount that will be wrapped around our necks next week would fund the current defense budget for seven (7) years.

Yobama promised this week to give out 50 billion in “gas” relief after he is elected. Where is that coming from ? The defense budget ? Yet another entitlement. Yeah, wack the defense budget.

JonRoss on July 12, 2008 at 5:25 PM

I’ll tell you what is really scary. Obama does not have the knowledge, the experience, or the personal moral convictions required for POTUS. If elected, he will not be the one running things. This is why it is absolutely necessary to give the utmost consideration to those with whom he has associated in the past, as well as those who are his most ardent supporters now.

Connie on July 12, 2008 at 5:33 PM

I would suggest: Chickenus shitamundo.
second digit on July 12, 2008 at 3:27 PM

Gosh trigger finger, where were you when Dubyah and Big Dick were runnin’…? Your humorous grasp of Latin would have been more apropos…!

J_Gocht on July 12, 2008 at 5:36 PM

Love it. We have Obama ducking and weaving out of townhall debates and the topic of discussion is defense cuts.

Cool! Let Obama bring up his defense cuts to the townhall.
If the logic works here then what does he have to worry about there?

Limerick on July 12, 2008 at 5:41 PM

“…or should I say what is NOT in the budget. It is “off budget”.
JonRoss on July 12, 2008 at 5:25 PM

Is that what they call those semi annual $700 billion [with a B] dollar supplementals’ for Iraq…. “off budget”..?

J_Gocht on July 12, 2008 at 5:47 PM

We don’t care what the hell his pundits and followers think about the U.S. military. We want to know what he thinks about the U.S. military and their proper employment, supply, and modernization.

Barry?

Hello?

There are a bunch of folks at Ft Hoot tapping their foot.

Hello?

Limerick on July 12, 2008 at 5:48 PM

JonRoss on July 12, 2008 at 5:25 PM

I guess alphie just thinks the miltary budget is the only one that counts and that bailing out corrupt lenders is more important than fighting terrorism.

Military power comes from economic power.If we don’t cut back on our military commitments…the Chinese will be able to crush us soon.

We are at least fated to be out of Asia in 10 years…voluntarily or by force.

alphie on July 12, 2008 at 5:06 PM

a capella on July 12, 2008 at 5:52 PM

I’m going to try to convince myself you were joking when you wrote this, Ed. I’ve got 4 Iraq war vets at my house this weekend, and believe me, there is no inclination to be sympathetic to Obama. They tell me the negativity toward Obama is so strong, they would expect him to be booed when he shows his face in Iraq, except for expected command orders forbidding any rude behavior that might embarrass the military.

Pal2Pal on July 12, 2008 at 5:53 PM

“…folks at Ft Hoot tapping their foot.
Limerick on July 12, 2008 at 5:48 PM

I completed AIT at Ft. Hood…?

J_Gocht on July 12, 2008 at 5:57 PM

J_Gocht on July 12, 2008 at 5:57 PM

Fat fingers and beer have no place on a redneck’s keyboard.
Rigga-fratta-ragga-rigga

Limerick on July 12, 2008 at 5:59 PM

J_Gocht on July 12, 2008 at 5:47 PM

If I recall the annual (not semi) “supplementals” have been around 80 billion. The 700 would have been for an entire year. Still less than John Kennedy’s. And when we say “supplemental” that means it went before Congress and everybody got to flail and carry on, shed tears over our fascist POTUS and military, check to see if their district got a cut, and then it was past on through. It is duly noted in the budget and becomes part of the official deficit.

The 5 trillion that you didn’t question is “off budget”. A separate set of books the Feds keep. So the deficit shoots up 5 trillion but it really isn’t a deficit because it isn’t called a deficit. It is just “off budget”. Make sense ? If so you are an idiot.

JonRoss on July 12, 2008 at 6:01 PM

I don’t know why Barry doesn’t take the lefties counter-attack plan on this town hall challenge.

Ft Hood was named after General John Bell Hood, CSA.

It would fit in perfect with the moonbats complaints about any challenge to his statements.

Limerick on July 12, 2008 at 6:02 PM

Or maybe they could do it at Fort Braxton Bragg.

JonRoss on July 12, 2008 at 6:06 PM

“I asked them if they hold Obama in more contempt than Kerry and I was told, “at least Kerry pretended to serve.”
Pal2Pal on July 12, 2008 at 5:53 PM

Most real troopers I ever knew; despised a “Bee Essen Pretender” more than a coward. They knew where the coward was comin’ from… They never could count on a pretender!

Methinks you added that little twist of BS… by your very own self, P_2_P!

J_Gocht on July 12, 2008 at 6:08 PM

What in Lords name are ye lads thinking over there in the colonies??

Heh. I believe we have a winner…

Jaibones on July 12, 2008 at 6:10 PM

Methinks you added that little twist of BS… by your very own self, P_2_P!

J_Gocht on July 12, 2008 at 6:08 PM

Yeah..too much beer tonight.

I am having the same experience as P2P. I have family in the military and they (as well as I) would boo Yobama if given the chance. But it just wouldn’t be prudent for them to do it. But they don’t have to re-enlist and may not if Yobama becomes POTUS.

JonRoss on July 12, 2008 at 6:19 PM

Obama = AWOL (absent with out leave)

Hog Wild on July 12, 2008 at 6:19 PM

“…folks at Ft Hoot tapping their foot.
Limerick on July 12, 2008 at 5:48 PM

Fat fingers and beer have no place on a redneck’s keyboard.
Rigga-fratta-ragga-rigga
Limerick on July 12, 2008 at 5:59 PM

I had it figured for some Special Ops, Owl Mensa training location.

Is that the secret password? :)

J_Gocht on July 12, 2008 at 6:24 PM

J_Gocht on July 12, 2008 at 6:24 PM

Combined with the secret handshake it gets you into the photon grenade locker.

Limerick on July 12, 2008 at 6:26 PM

alphie on July 12, 2008 at 5:06 PM

If we cut back on any terror commitments, china would not have us to worry about at all.

allrsn on July 12, 2008 at 6:28 PM

Social Security is showing a “profit” for the government and will continue to do so for 15 or so years, jonr.

Defense spending is a dead loss.

$700 billion down the crapper every.single.year.

But, I hope the right, especially the Geriatric Gigolo, keep talking about looting SS…

alphie on July 12, 2008 at 6:29 PM

Defense spending is a dead loss.

$700 billion down the crapper every.single.year.

alphie on July 12, 2008 at 6:29 PM

Social Security is showing a profit. Interesting concept. I can see our educational system has totally failed us. But we knew that.

JonRoss on July 12, 2008 at 6:33 PM

Vero Pussymus.

CurtZHP on July 12, 2008 at 6:35 PM

His fear of putting himself in front of our fantastic military is at least a sign of some intelligence. He does much better in front of Code Pink, Che supporters and racist Black anarchists.

I wonder how his soul sister would do singing the wrong national anthem and Fort Hood? It would probably be an occasion to hit some high notes with a size thirteen boot up her bottom.

Hening on July 12, 2008 at 6:37 PM

alphie Social Security is showing a “profit” for the government and will continue to do so for 15 or so years,

Excuse my ingnorance, but exactly when did it become legal for the gov to make a profit??????

allrsn on July 12, 2008 at 6:41 PM

Defense spending is a dead loss.

$700 billion down the crapper every.single.year.

It’s gives folks like you the freedom to submit your tripe, Alph. That defense spending manages to keep the entire world free, which is paid for in American blood and treasure. That’s a pretty amazing return on the cash, but makes me sad when I see the thankless reaction from clueless people that see Social Security as a profit windfall for the federal government.

Hening on July 12, 2008 at 6:41 PM

Terrye,

With all due respect to “some people won’t like whatever they do” my chief complaint is what little they are doing is not timely.

Obama has been presenting, on a weekly basis, flip flops of an extraordinary degree. So extraordinary that even the NY Times, Washington Post, Kos, Time magazine etc have been forced to cover them. This is a made to order campaign issue that is not being exploited on TV to the independents, whose votes decide the election, by McCain or the RNC.

Campaigning has to be timely. You can’t show a commercial a month from now showing Obama flipping etc when it is in the papers today. A month from now people won’t care, they will be dealing with what is happening then. Who knows, it might be McCain stumbling then. Then your commercial just looks like, “a little too late” cover up and back fires.

You can make all the excuses you want but I’ve been around 60 years and this is one of the worst organized campaigns I have seen to date. It’s as if they don’t understand the medium, how to manipulate it nor the speed they should be operating at.

patrick neid on July 12, 2008 at 6:47 PM

allrsn on July 12, 2008 at 6:41 PM

There is a 57 trillion dollar commitment already locked in. And growing. Ain’t no profit. I think I am going to shut this computer off before I catch the case of dumbasstery that seems to be spreading.

JonRoss on July 12, 2008 at 6:53 PM

allrsn on July 12, 2008 at 6:41 PM

We must stop this government windfall profits scheme.

It’s just obscene.

Black Adam on July 12, 2008 at 6:55 PM

“…Hey but don’t take my word for it–they even admit it. At a certain point it starts to reflect on McCain. patrick neid on July 12, 2008 at 6:47 PM

Have no fear p_n, Mr. Schmidt is the new guy on the block. He worked for Karl…!

Just wait…!
Ya, just wait…!

J_Gocht on July 12, 2008 at 7:06 PM

j,

I hope you are right.

patrick neid on July 12, 2008 at 7:32 PM

I think I am beginning to understand his name. Braaak, Braaak, Braaak. Sounds like a little fear to me. Get him away from his teleprompter and he sounds very inarticulate.

duggersd on July 12, 2008 at 7:33 PM

Uh-Possum can’t go toe to toe with McCain but wants to go nose to nose with ArmageddonJihad?

Maquis on July 12, 2008 at 7:44 PM

How was that again…?

Get him away from his teleprompter and he sounds very inarticulate.
duggersd on July 12, 2008 at 7:33 PM

Considerable caution should be exercised with respect to St. Mc’s recall, and extemporaneous ability. This isn’t 2002 anymore Dorothy…this is 2008!

J_Gocht on July 12, 2008 at 7:58 PM

Has anyone noticed that Barack Obama refuses to commit to go to a town hall debate with John McCain in front of vets, active duty personnel, and military families? Obama won’t even give the group the courtesy of a thumbs up or thumbs down so they can continue to plan their event. Seems like he would have at least that much respect the our men and women in uniform to say yes or no.

Just wondering if that news has slipped through the cracks.

Limerick on July 12, 2008 at 8:09 PM

Audacitus jugheadii

viking01 on July 12, 2008 at 8:36 PM

Audacitus jugheadii
viking01 on July 12, 2008 at 8:36 PM

Are you describing you own self… or are you requesting assistance from an “audacious Marine”?

J_Gocht on July 12, 2008 at 8:49 PM

Senator Obama strongly supports America’s veterans and military families …

And yet he continues to refer to the US military presence in Iraq as an occupation.

Jay Mac on July 12, 2008 at 8:58 PM

Just like the military he wants to lead…RUN FOR COVER!!!

right2bright on July 12, 2008 at 9:39 PM

Just wondering if that news has slipped through the cracks.

Limerick on July 12, 2008 at 8:09 PM

nope!

jerrytbg on July 12, 2008 at 9:45 PM

Maybe Obama will come to the meeting if they let him bring Hagel along with him.

fogw on July 12, 2008 at 9:50 PM

Defense spending is a dead loss.

$700 billion down the crapper every.single.year.

alphie on July 12, 2008 at 6:29 PM

Poster child for vouchers

jerrytbg on July 12, 2008 at 9:52 PM

Connie on July 12, 2008 at 5:33 PM

I nominate you for the most astute hotair commenter.

platypus on July 12, 2008 at 10:02 PM

platypus on July 12, 2008 at 10:02 PM

I’ll second that!!!!

jerrytbg on July 12, 2008 at 10:06 PM

Is it possible this Obama Hussein critter will skate to the election without even one debate.
Won’t he even go before Chris “oh, oh I got excited and peeee’d myself, Mathews and get asked if he needs another pillow, a glass of water, his mommy or teddy bear or something.
At least Hillary had the ___ “what Jackson wanted to cut off” to shame the scum into a tongue swap with his buds in the mainstream media.
And while I’m at it whats with O”Reilly covering up for Jacksuuun. If you’ve got the whole tape lets hear it Big Bad Bill. Puss!
Fox seems to be wandering further into the leftist swamp every day I may be stuck watching Clint Eastwood westerns and getting all my news from my computer.

dhunter on July 12, 2008 at 10:08 PM

dhunter on July 12, 2008 at 10:08 PM

You say that like it’s a bad thing.

platypus on July 12, 2008 at 10:15 PM

dhunter on July 12, 2008 at 10:08 PM

Me thinks he is waiting for a major McCain gaff so the MSM will set the ground work for bHo to beat him up over it…. and…. if or when McCain declines he’ll say……..whatever …..it’s all sound bite these days. imho.

jerrytbg on July 12, 2008 at 10:20 PM

Methinks you added that little twist of BS… by your very own self, P_2_P!

Actually, it is what they said, but if you had heard the way it was said, you would have understood that it was more meant as coward than how you are thinking of “pretender.” In other words, very sarcastic. I took it more to mean Kerry’s pretending to be pro-troops when his arrogant butt is anything but that and not that he was a pretender when he served.

Pal2Pal on July 12, 2008 at 10:30 PM

platypus,
nope not a bad thing at all considering the fare on television these days.

dhunter on July 12, 2008 at 10:48 PM

I want an active duty military person to ask him why he (BHO) hangs out with a guy who blew up the pentagon. That would be sweet (and is probably the reason he won’t stand before our magnificent military folks.

The only difference between Ayers and the 9/11 hijackers is that they actually succeeded where Ayers failed. And, BHO is friends with him.

Mojave Mark on July 12, 2008 at 10:58 PM

GULP: Two polls have McCain with margin of error.

WoosterOh on July 12, 2008 at 11:01 PM

Could have seen this one coming from a mile away. I doubt Obama will debate McCain with the Townhall format. He’ll only do it with a moderator.

Is the McCain campaign asleep? Shouldn’t they call Obama out on this?

nazo311 on July 12, 2008 at 11:08 PM

We are at least fated to be out of Asia in 10 years…voluntarily or by force.

alphie on July 12, 2008 at 5:06 PM

i seriously doubt it. we will be in both japan and korea for a long time yet, and our alliances with countries like thailand and singapore are pretty much rock-solid.

as for china, expect a crash there sometime in the next 10-20 years. their economy is booming but it will bust sooner or later and when it does it ain’t gonna be pretty. let’s face it: a totalitarian communist regime can’t hold an economy that big together for much longer.

homesickamerican on July 12, 2008 at 11:35 PM

……… no Tony Snow, is he?

Seven Percent Solution on July 13, 2008 at 12:14 AM

Audacitus jugheadii
viking01 on July 12, 2008 at 8:36 PM

J_Gocht on July 12, 2008 at 8:49 PM

Neither, of course. Had I meant “jarhead” I would have said it. But I didn’t. Read “jughead” in the Archie sense, observe audacious Obambi’s silhouette and perhaps all will become clearer. Sheesh.

viking01 on July 13, 2008 at 12:19 AM

And on a side note, I was amused to read that Phil Carter is now the O-Possum’s Director of Veteran Affairs.

One of the original Mil-Bloggers with moderate views from the early OEF/OIF days, he went to UCLA Law School under Pentagon aegis, becoming a JAG, and then out to join an LA law firm.

You could track the swift and deep leftward-hoing of his “INTEL DUMP” blog opinings through that career progression, and discern a driving political ambition being aimed through the Democratic front.

Based on his present disingenuous spokes-speaking, he has come full bloom as yet another California moonbat Dhimmicrat, with an indubitable future military vet essence along the less-than-august lines of Kerry, Murtha and Webb.

Mojamaiko on July 13, 2008 at 1:27 AM

Obama’s seal should have been “Massivus Chickenus Perpetuous”

Anywhere, Anytime…

Unless I have a pressing, ongoing engagement that seems to always come up when challenged at a specific time and place.

BKennedy on July 13, 2008 at 1:27 AM

Well, this is the guy who as a freshman senator flat-out REFUSED to come over to the Pentagon when invited. He REFUSED to do something that even Hillary did. Not surprised that he would actually go anywhere else to discuss the military unless it was on his own turf.

rotorhead on July 13, 2008 at 1:41 AM

This twit, barry, I call “Vero ignoramous” I cant wait to see the messiah dressed up in body armor. THAT should be a pic!!

Rick554 on July 13, 2008 at 6:46 AM

J_Gocht on July 12, 2008 at 7:58 PM

J, do you really want to compare inarticulate moments?
You see, the difference is that Braaak, Braaak, Braaak the Chicken is the great orator. John McCain is not. Compare Braaak, Braaak, Braaak to people such as Jesse Jackson, Al Shartpton and Ronald Reagan. Now those people can or could speak extemporaneiously. Braaak, Braaak, Braaak just stumbles.

duggersd on July 13, 2008 at 7:56 AM

Rick554 on July 13, 2008 at 6:46 AM

The armor may be required. I doubt he’ll shop for a rug.

J_Gocht on July 13, 2008 at 8:13 AM

Connie on July 12, 2008 at 5:33 PM

Certainly the most interesting and potentially devastating phone call I have received during this election cycle came this week from one of the Obama’s campaign internet geeks. These are the staffers who devised Obama’s internet fund raising campaign which raised in the neighborhood of $200 million so far. That is more then twice the total funds raised by any candidate in history – and this was all from the internet campaign.

What I learned from this insider was shocking, but I guess we shouldn’t be surprised that when it comes to fund raising there simply are no rules that can’t be broken and no ethics that prevail.

Obama’s internet campaign started out innocently enough with basic e-mail networking , lists saved from previous party campaigns and from supporters who visited any of the Obama campaign web sites.

Small contributions came in from these sources and the internet campaign staff were more than pleased by the results. Then, about two months into the campaign the daily contribution intake multiplied. Where was it coming from? One of the web site security monitors began to notice the bulk of the contributions were clearly coming in from overseas internet service providers and at the rate and frequency of transmission it was clear these donations were “programmed” by a very sophisticated user.

While the security people were not able to track most of the sources due to firewalls and other blocking devices put on these contributions, they were able to collate the number of contributions that were coming in seemingly from individuals but the funds were from only a few credit card accounts and bank electronic funds transfers. The internet service providers (ISP) they were able to trace were from Saudi Arabia, Iran, and other Middle Eastern countries. One of the banks used for fund transfers was also located in Saudi Arabia. Another concentrated group of donations was traced to a Chinese ISP with a similar pattern of limited credit card charges.

It became clear that these donations were very likely coming from sources other than American voters. This was discussed at length within the campaign and the decision was made that none of these donations violated campaign financing laws.
It was also decided that it was not the responsibility of the campaign to audit these millions of contributions as to the actual source (specific credit card number or bank transfer account numbers) to insure that none of these internet contributors exceeded the legal maximum donation on a cumulative basis of many small donations. They also found the record keeping was not complete enough to do it anyway.
This is a shocking revelation. We have been concerned about the legality of “bundling” contributions after the recent exposure of illegal bundlers but now it appears we may have an even greater problem.

I guess we should have been somewhat suspicious when the numbers started to come out. We were told (no proof offered) that the Obama internet contributions were from $10.00 to $25.00 or so. If the $200,000,000 is right, and the average contribution was $15.00, that would mean over 13 million individuals made contributions? That would also be 13 million contributions that would need to be processed. How did all that happen? I believe the Obama campaign’s internet fund raising needs a serious, in depth investigation and audit. It also appears the whole question of internet fund raising needs investigation by the legislature and perhaps new laws to insure it complies not only with the letter of these laws but the spirit as well.

Keemo on July 13, 2008 at 8:22 AM

J, do you really want to compare inarticulate moments? duggersd on July 13, 2008 at 7:56 AM

I agree, everyone has their senior moments, even me!

My cravat was; with respect to what seem to have been a veritable plethora of Saint Mc gaffes, stumbles and retractions during his recent visit to Iraq with Holy Joe and continuing garbled statements, trackbacks and confusion on the campaign trail, in the last few weeks.

After all it has been eight long years since his first ride on the “Straight Talk Express” and he’s approaching the big seventy two. That’s quite long of tooth by anyone’s standard.

Do you recall President Reagan’s confusion during his second term?

J_Gocht on July 13, 2008 at 8:36 AM

Hussein Obama won`t talk at Ft Hood becasue in his own words from his book Audacity of Hope he said:

” I will stand with the Muslims should the political winds shift in an ugly direction”

Why would anybody other than an enemy of America vote for this creep to be Commander-in-Chief of our armed forces. It would be the ultimate infiltration.

HAGGS99 on July 13, 2008 at 8:44 AM

Keemo on July 13, 2008 at 8:22 AM

Hey Keemo, setting up the olde “strawman behind the tree” gambit; are you?

J_Gocht on July 13, 2008 at 8:58 AM

McCain would be nuts not to blast Obama over this.

Obama is afraid of strong men.

That is the last thing this country needs in a President.

drjohn on July 13, 2008 at 9:02 AM

That’s not the exact quote and it is out of context.

drjohn on July 13, 2008 at 9:03 AM

J_Gocht on July 13, 2008 at 8:58 AM

That piece was written by Maureen Dowd of the NYT…

WHERE IS THE MONEY COMING FROM?
By MAUREEN DOWD
Published: June 29, 2008

Personally, Obama is a nothing of an empty suit; I believe in the existence of a “puppet master”… Damn right.

Keemo on July 13, 2008 at 9:09 AM

Look to a quickly staged event, full of ‘Iraq Veterans for Obama’. In that, Obama will ‘appear’ strong, with full support of the military.

Of course, you never know how many thousands the campaign had to sift through to find the few handful to be the backdrop, and how many fake-plants in there.

Sir Napsalot on July 13, 2008 at 9:22 AM

“… I believe in the existence of a “puppet master”… Damn right.
Keemo on July 13, 2008 at 9:09 AM

You agree that Vice President Dick Cheney is actually runin’ the whole shebang…?

Interesting…!

BTW: It doesn’t matter who set up the strawman, it’s still just that; a strawman… whether behind a curtain or a tree, male or female.

You must be spending some time listening to Sean Hanitty; he likes to use the “unattributed quotation” thingy, to place his guests on the defensive.

J_Gocht on July 13, 2008 at 9:34 AM

That piece was written by Maureen Dowd of the NYT…

WHERE IS THE MONEY COMING FROM?
By MAUREEN DOWD
Published: June 29, 2008

Snopes.com says that article was not written by Maureen Dowd.

That is not to say that the Snopes debunking is convincing vis a vis Obama’s fundraising – I think there may be something hinky going on there, too. But that article is an internet hoax.

Missy on July 13, 2008 at 9:40 AM

Hey Keemo, setting up the olde “strawman behind the tree” gambit; are you?

J_Gocht on July 13, 2008 at 8:58 AM

Keemo did a great job of laying the facts out. No strawman there. We have never had true political instability in this country, not since the Civil War anyway. Nixon brought us close. Obama would create chaos at the highlest level of government. He wants control of a government and society that he obviously hates. Most of his associations over the last 20 years point to that. If you want violence in the streets then snuggle up to Obama. Because it is going to happen one way or the other. I really am not looking forward to that.

JonRoss on July 13, 2008 at 9:42 AM

Whoa J_R…

JonRoss on July 13, 2008 at 9:42 AM

Check out …

Missy on July 13, 2008 at 9:40 AM

Thanks for the backgrounder, Missy..!

J_Gocht on July 13, 2008 at 9:46 AM

Whoa J_R…

JonRoss on July 13, 2008 at 9:42 AM
Check out …

Missy on July 13, 2008 at 9:40 AM
Thanks for the backgrounder, Missy..!

J_Gocht on July 13, 2008 at 9:46 AM

The facts are correct though, regardless of who put them out there.

JonRoss on July 13, 2008 at 9:50 AM

JonRoss on July 13, 2008 at 9:50 AM

My Momma used to have a word for folks who couldn’t admit they were wrong…but that was just my Momma!

J_Gocht on July 13, 2008 at 9:56 AM

J_Gocht on July 13, 2008 at 9:56 AM

Seen a lot of sniping but no substance from you. Tell us what makes you so excited about Obama ?

JonRoss on July 13, 2008 at 10:03 AM

J_Gocht on July 13, 2008 at 9:56 AM

And what do you have against your Momma ?

JonRoss on July 13, 2008 at 10:04 AM

JonRoss,

That piece was copied from a link at a very popular web-site. Snopes says it is a hoax, I’ll go with that. Very talented idiots working the “hoax” factor these days. However, the fact that Obama has raised 200 million in a short period of time, while energy and food prices have reached record highs; the fact that Obama raised 100 million in a single month leads me to believe that something is dreadfully wrong with this picture. At the top of the Democrat machine is a guy named George Soros; a man with billions dead bent on making America something completely different from what it was created to be. All of a sudden we have a rookie freshman Senator, who happens to be the darling of Mr. Soros, and this freshman Senator somehow raises 200 million in a time where Americans are hurting in the wallet.

J_Gocht calls this line of thinking “strawman behind the tree”… I call this line of thinking “reasonable doubt”, esp. when corruption in the Democrat Party is making headline news on a regular basis.

Keemo on July 13, 2008 at 10:17 AM

Defense spending is a dead loss.

$700 billion down the crapper every.single.year.

alphie on July 12, 2008 at 6:29 PM

Whatever you say Alphie!

The federal government’s long-term financial obligations grew by $2.5 trillion last year, a reflection of the mushrooming cost of Medicare and Social Security benefits as more baby boomers reach retirement.

That’s double the red ink of a year earlier.

Taxpayers are on the hook for a record $57.3 trillion in federal liabilities to cover the lifetime benefits of everyone eligible for Medicare, Social Security and other government programs, a USA TODAY analysis found. That’s nearly $500,000 per household.

Link

Chuck Schick on July 13, 2008 at 10:54 AM

Keemo on July 13, 2008 at 10:17 AM

I agree. Where is the money coming from ? And the money is just part of the problem. What do these big donors want ? We don’t even know if they are domestic. By the time that is ferrated out the election could be long over. And as I have said before it would be a disaster to have a POTUS that would have to be removed from office in cuffs. McCain may be a little goofy but he isn’t playing with fire.

JonRoss on July 13, 2008 at 11:13 AM

Missy:
Did you read the whole Snopes article? There was something I thought rather humorous. Dowd says: “I got to the second line and knew Iit wasn’t me.” She had to read it to know it was not her???!!!???

duggersd on July 13, 2008 at 11:18 AM

Whatever you say Alphie!

That’s double the red ink of a year earlier.

Link

Chuck Schick on July 13, 2008 at 10:54 AM

Good. And I can’t resist asking the question “Whats it all about….Alphie ? Is just for the moment you live ?” I hope you’ve got your $500,000 banked and ready to send to Barry.

JonRoss on July 13, 2008 at 11:18 AM

duggersd on July 13, 2008 at 11:18 AM

Well, at least she admits she isn’t psychic.

J_Gocht on July 13, 2008 at 11:27 AM

duggersd on July 13, 2008 at 11:18 AM

That was funny. She’s a moron.

And for the record, I’ll say again – aside for the fact that Dowd didn’t write the article in question, the Snopes assertion that Obama’s fundraising is on the level was totally unconvincing (it basically consists of “Obama says he doesn’t accept foreign donations”).

We will see if anyone in the media takes on Obama’s mysterious financing (I’m not holding my breath).

Missy on July 13, 2008 at 11:35 AM

“Did you read the whole Snopes article? There was something I thought rather humorous…” duggersd on July 13, 2008 at 11:18 AM

The grammar I found amusing; was their lack of capitalization of… ”[f]aux [n]ews”…!

J_Gocht on July 13, 2008 at 11:40 AM

J_Gocht on July 13, 2008 at 11:40 AM

Funny you should mention grammar.

Your necktie was what???

Did you perhaps mean caveat??

Them wordy words’ll getcha.

hillbillyjim on July 13, 2008 at 2:05 PM

“…Did you perhaps mean caveat??
Them wordy words’ll getcha.
hillbillyjim on July 13, 2008 at 2:05 PM

You da man… h_j…!

Absolutely!

When I wrote it I knew what I wanted to say but I didn’t have the olde grammar and spell checker on. [My better half was out of the room.]…That happens now and then.

I’m a bit geezerly and long in the tooth, if you know what I mean…?

Perhaps not?
Just wait, you’ll get there someday.

Any who, thanks for the heads-up!

J_Gocht on July 13, 2008 at 2:32 PM

Trust alhpie to sidetrack the Obama thread to ‘military budget’, with irrelevant comparison to that in Clinton years.

Sir Napsalot on July 14, 2008 at 12:13 PM