RIP, Byron Fouty and Alex Jimenez

posted at 3:00 pm on July 11, 2008 by Ed Morrissey

The remains of two soldiers missing in Iraq for over a year have been found.  Alex Jimenez and Byron Fouty were captured in an ambush near the beginning of the “surge” operation, and their abduction touched off a massive search in central Iraq.  Identification came from dental records, according to the BBC:

Spc Alex Jimenez and Pte Byron Fouty had been listed as missing since they were seized in an ambush in May 2007 in an area south of Baghdad.

The body of a third soldier, Pte Joseph Anzack Jr, was found in the Euphrates river a short time after the attack.

The Islamic State of Iraq, a group that includes al-Qaeda in Iraq, had released a video saying it killed all three men.

Both families spoke on the record after being informed of their sons’ deaths:

Spc Jimenez’s father, Ramon, told AP that the news had “shattered all hope” the family had to “see Alex walk home on his own”.

“Byron went to Iraq to help people who couldn’t help themselves,” said Mr Dibler [Fouty's stepfather]. “I know their sacrifice was not for nothing. It was not in vain.”

Our prayers are with both families, and with the families of all the men and women serving our nation in the war.

Comments

Prayers and a debt of gratitude that cannot ever be filled.

Kini on July 11, 2008 at 3:05 PM

ALMIGHTY God, our heavenly Father, in whose hands are the living and the dead; We give thee thanks for all those thy servants who have laid down their lives in the service of our country. Grant to them thy mercy and the light of thy presence, that the good work which thou hast begun in them may be perfected; through Jesus Christ thy Son our Lord. Amen.

You rest with comrades

E9RET on July 11, 2008 at 3:08 PM

Godspeed brothers

Viper1 on July 11, 2008 at 3:09 PM

I don’t know what to say.

I’m glad they were found. That should be some small comfort to their families.

Esthier on July 11, 2008 at 3:10 PM

R.I.P.

Swinehound on July 11, 2008 at 3:11 PM

Bless their brave hearts. And OUR hearts go out to their families.

tree hugging sister on July 11, 2008 at 3:11 PM

“…I believe the war at this stage can only be won diplomatically, politically and economically,” -Harry Reid, April 2005.

So for Dingy Harry, these men died in vain. Has he ever apologized? I forget.

Akzed on July 11, 2008 at 3:12 PM

God bless those men and all our soldiers.

jencab on July 11, 2008 at 3:12 PM

God bless Byron and Alex and their famlies. May they RIP in His arms. Thank all who serve with all my heart.
L

letget on July 11, 2008 at 3:17 PM

God bless the souls of these most honorable of Americans!

God bless their families with Peace that the world can not give.

May God protect our soldiers, marines, sailors, pilots and all of those mechanics and operators upon whom they rely.

May God preserve the American Constitution!

The time is approaching for Americans to overtly show gratitude with an Iraqi-Afghani memorial fountain in remembrance of the ultimate sacrifice from these our finest.

maverick muse on July 11, 2008 at 3:17 PM

RIP and God Bless.

becki51758 on July 11, 2008 at 3:24 PM

Amen

Zorro on July 11, 2008 at 3:34 PM

:salute:

trailortrash on July 11, 2008 at 3:35 PM

A sad end, I only hope they didn’t suffer badly before their deaths. I’m glad their families can at least have closure.

Bishop on July 11, 2008 at 3:40 PM

Thank you for those words, Mr. Dibler. Your son is a hero and his sacrifice is an example to us all.

argos on July 11, 2008 at 3:44 PM

Imagine the agony of their families, then imagine that agony actually being *relieved* at this news, knowing that their sons are not being tortured. The families back home sacrifice so much that the rest of us take for granted.

God bless all of our Troops and their families. Heaven became a brighter place when they arrived.

Tony737 on July 11, 2008 at 3:45 PM

Thank you.

You have joined many who have fallen before you, brothers in arms who have made us so proud to be Americans.

The world would be a much different place without the sacrifice of so many brave men from our homeland.

fogw on July 11, 2008 at 3:45 PM

I pause to honor two noble young American men, who added their lives to the lives of many hundreds of thousands of young lives, all sacrificed out of gratitude for the freedom that their ancestors bought with blood, and for the purpose of securing that freedom into the future.

No greater love, no better Americans.

NellE on July 11, 2008 at 3:48 PM

Rest in peace, bros.

Dave from Flint on July 11, 2008 at 3:58 PM

E9RET on July 11, 2008 at 3:08 PM

Amen
Zorro on July 11, 2008 at 3:34 PM

AMEN
and thanks from the bottom of my heart

shooter on July 11, 2008 at 4:04 PM

Thank you, sirs. Prayers for the families.

Be strong.

Sir Napsalot on July 11, 2008 at 4:15 PM

Their efforts in Iraq helped to make America and the World a better place. They are heroes that will never be forgotten.

SoulGlo on July 11, 2008 at 4:17 PM

There service was not in vain…for generations men and women and children will know the affects of men like this who gave their life so they can have freedom.

right2bright on July 11, 2008 at 4:21 PM

It boggles the mind, doesn’t it? I cannot imagine.

God bless them.

Bob's Kid on July 11, 2008 at 4:23 PM

Welcome home, brave soldiers. May God bless and keep you.

KelliD on July 11, 2008 at 4:29 PM

My prayers and immense gratitude for what these brave men have done. God bless the families, may He provide them strength.

Does anyone know if they caught/killed some of the terrorists who did this?

Richard Romano on July 11, 2008 at 4:30 PM

Has [Harry Reid] ever apologized? I forget.
Akzed on July 11, 2008 at 3:12 PM

Clearly, when two young men’s lives are wasted in a pointless, hopeless war instigated by a Republican president, mismanaged by his Republican cronies and endlessly exploited by the Republican propaganda machine, there is no better way to honor their tragically short time on this earth than by laying the blame for their deaths squarely at the feet of the number one Democrat in the Senate. Is there a way we can also blame Bill Clinton? Show how, but for the criminally misguided policies of Barack Obama, these two young soldiers would still be alive?

factoid on July 11, 2008 at 4:31 PM

Harry Reid entered into the Congressional record, “the war is lost” while American soldiers were fighting and dying in the field. This was a treasonous act by the leader of the democratic party. These find young men deserve so much more from our leaders who, themselves, could never stand in the shadows of these fallen heroes. God Bless these young men and their families who have given so much.

volsense on July 11, 2008 at 4:32 PM

Factoid, you are a fool. 25,000,000 Iraqis have been liberated from a tyrannical dictator, but by your shortsighted wisdom they were nothing at all. Your arrogance is nauseatiung. Bringing democracy and freedom to an entire nation for the first time in their country’s history will the building block for the future of the Middle East.

volsense on July 11, 2008 at 4:38 PM

I meant to post this in my original post.

Mansions of the Lord

E9RET on July 11, 2008 at 4:40 PM

R.I.P. brothers!!

My son-in law Army Spec. Nick Rowe is in Iraq for another year, 2nd tour. 1st tour in Afganistan 2 yrs ago.

Everyone please pray for all our soldiers over there and all over the world. They do the jobs no other men/women have the courage to do, and they volunteer!!!

Thank God & the American soldier for all we have in this great country.

God Bless them!!

relpayme on July 11, 2008 at 4:42 PM

I don’t think that’s fair. George W. Bush, for instance, having bravely defended Texas and Alabama in a time of war, sacrificed his golf game to show how much he honors these young men (whose funerals, tragically, he cannot find the time to attend).

factoid on July 11, 2008 at 4:43 PM

R. I. P. and may some comfort come to yours. Know many hold you and your loved ones in high esteem and gratitude.

Branch Rickey on July 11, 2008 at 4:46 PM

May their souls and their families be blessed. Their deeds will live long after they are gone.

Wander, my friends

Sekhmet on July 11, 2008 at 4:48 PM

relpayme on July 11, 2008 at 4:42 PM

He is on the list! I am humbled at your request; your sacrifice is beyond my ability to put into words.

Branch Rickey on July 11, 2008 at 4:49 PM

To those who would use this terrible tragedy for their own political agenda, I refer you to Thomas Paine:

“That which we obtain too cheaply, we esteem too lightly …”

Think about your freedom when you read that.

Tony737 on July 11, 2008 at 4:54 PM

Factoid,

We have heard all the crap before, please go somewhere else.

Some people have no class. Get a clue, we are honoring Soldiers here.

Keep your snide-a$$ remarks over at KOS or DU.

ROID!! Good place foer ya, next to an a$$!!

relpayme on July 11, 2008 at 4:54 PM

Thank You BR!!!

relpayme on July 11, 2008 at 4:56 PM

R.I.P. Fallen Brothers. I bet they retained their honor to the bitter end, upholding the code of honor, even when the scum would not adhere to any laws of war.

Please pray for the helo crews, they are in a very difficult situation, if they crash or emergency land, they are not well armed and vastly outnumbered. They are the most likely to be captured.

Squid Shark on July 11, 2008 at 5:00 PM

OT- San Fran Nan Pelosi’s phone number, call and ask why she won’t drill 202 225-0100

abinitioadinfinitum on July 11, 2008 at 5:04 PM

RIP and God Bless. Too bad the liberals just spit on their graves with their lame comments.

kirkill on July 11, 2008 at 5:07 PM

may God bless their families for the heroism of their sons.

Ropera on July 11, 2008 at 5:16 PM

Rest in peace, soldiers. The prayers of a grateful nation rise to greet you.

irongrampa on July 11, 2008 at 5:18 PM

Factoid

It’s not the time or place to vocalize your political and general ignorance.

Peace to the families of these warriors and honor their efforts to do what they thought was right..

BL@KBIRD on July 11, 2008 at 5:18 PM

BL@KBIRD on July 11, 2008 at 5:18 PM

???

Squid Shark on July 11, 2008 at 5:20 PM

My son served two deployments in Iraq “outside the wire”. He is headed to Afghanistan shortly to do it again. He is smart, savy, resourceful, educated, and a little rowdy. He is really fun to be around. What happened to these two young men could easily happen to him. But it happens to police, firefighters and others who have taken on voluntarily jobs that put them at risk. They know the importance of their work even if other don’t. Their families have to proud and know that their sons are revered and respected by many many Americans. We all only live so long, but in the end very few of us will be known for our bravery and valour as these two will be.

I have nothing to say those who don’t understand their sacrifice or the reasons for it.

JonRoss on July 11, 2008 at 5:23 PM

Factoid, you are a fool. 25,000,000 Iraqis have been liberated from a tyrannical dictator [...]
volsense on July 11, 2008 at 4:38 PM

Liberated? Give me a break!

2,000,000 Iraqis have fled the country, another 2,000,000 have been displaced inside Iraq. Even under the most conservative estimates, deaths are into the six figures. Even now, that the killing has subsided somewhat, bombings with double-digit death tolls happen every week, and smaller-scale killings happen several times a day.

During the 30-year genocidal regime of Saddam Hussein (may he rot in hell), some 300,000 people are said to have been killed. That’s about 30 violent deaths per day. It would actually be considered a significant success at this point if we could reduce the number of violent deaths to an average of 30 per day.

This war has been nothing but a curse, an unmitigated, miserable disaster for the typical Iraqi. Those poor souls have gotten out of the frying pan and into the fire. Their vicious, secular dictatorship was replaced by a reign of chaos and civil war instigated by religious fanatics.

Now that large swaths of the country have been ethnically cleansed, the killings have died down a little, and the diplomatic, political and economic component of the “surge” has also brought some fruit (as Harry Reid predicted, incidentally), but make no mistake, this war has been a miserable failure. We pretend that Iraq becoming an Islamic Republic is a success, we pretend that having bought the friendship of smalltime sheiks who last year were best buddies with AQ is a victory, we pretend that no-bid oil contracts given to French and Russian companies are economic progress. All the while we have no idea when and how we can stop being sucked into this mess.

This is what these young men had to die for. They offered their lives to their country, and their CINC wasted them on refereeing a civil war between factions of religious fanatics. I admire their guts, but I wish their fate had been a more mundane existence at some college, factory or farm.

factoid on July 11, 2008 at 5:26 PM

JonRoss on July 11, 2008 at 5:23 PM

John,
Hope your son stays safe.

Squid Shark on July 11, 2008 at 5:27 PM

Thank you Squid Shark. We tangle here once in a while but you help keep me honest ever once in a while.

JonRoss on July 11, 2008 at 5:30 PM

factoid on July 11, 2008 at 5:34 PM

Former high school teacher,
Honest taxpayer,
Faithful husband,
Loving father of four

factoid on July 11, 2008 at 5:34 PM

My sympathies to your former students, wife and children.

Now go away.

fogw on July 11, 2008 at 5:40 PM

factoid on July 11, 2008 at 5:34 PM

Do we detect some anger issues here ? I have a feeling you are not eligible to even lick the boots of E9RET.

JonRoss on July 11, 2008 at 5:41 PM

factoid on July 11, 2008 at 5:26 PM

“some college”….More lives are wasted as the result of college than most wars.

JonRoss on July 11, 2008 at 5:45 PM

Brave men and they really were Men in the truest sense.

Hilts on July 11, 2008 at 5:51 PM

JonRoss on July 11, 2008 at 5:41 PM

In the past hour or so, I’ve been called a “fool” and an “a$$.” I’ve been told to go away and, it’s been implied that I am a bad father and husband and in a backwards way it’s been suggested to me that I might want to lick someone’s boots. All this because I dared voice the opinion that the lives of these poor young men have been wasted in a failed war started by incompetent hypocrites.

Yeah, I do detect some anger issues here. But I understand. It must be frustrating to be on the wrong side of history.

factoid on July 11, 2008 at 5:53 PM

factoid on July 11, 2008 at 5:53 PM

This thread isn’t about you.

Get lost.

fogw on July 11, 2008 at 5:56 PM

factoid on July 11, 2008 at 5:53 PM

No frustration or anger here my friend. Just great amusement.

JonRoss on July 11, 2008 at 5:59 PM

And we are afraid that if we waterboard them, then they will waterboard our troops. Our idiot, idiot,”leaders”. I assume factoid is of the same opinion as our “fearless leaders” on waterboarding, and their “unjust war”….

All three of these guys are in a better place…. of that I am confident.

ultracon on July 11, 2008 at 6:10 PM

You rest with comrades

E9RET on July 11, 2008 at 3:08 PM

I add another Amen. And I thank you for your service, sir. My beloved father was a retired E8, 32 years served. God Bless you all.

Glynn on July 11, 2008 at 6:11 PM

factoid on July 11, 2008 at 5:53 PMWhy is it that you are failing to see we are honoring these brave soldiers. This is not the time or place for your political blather.

Glynn on July 11, 2008 at 6:13 PM

Glynn, because nothing is sacred to liberals.

Unfortunately I am too old to serve with men like the ones we honor. Wish I could. I did my service many years ago.

ultracon on July 11, 2008 at 6:20 PM

ultracon Not to worry, thanks for your service. One here don’t appreciate you or the two here we are giving thanks for their service and their families. It will go away someplace where it is appreciated.
L

letget on July 11, 2008 at 6:53 PM

Glynn, because nothing is sacred to liberals.

ultracon on July 11, 2008 at 6:20 PM

I echo Letget’s post at 6:53. I know many veterans don’t see themselves as heroes, but you are. You most definitely are. I can never say in words how grateful I am for all of you. My profound gratitude.

Glynn on July 11, 2008 at 7:02 PM

It’s not like you didn’t ask for it. There may be scores of other blogs out there where comments like yours are welcome; this is not one of them. Did you attend the Fred Phelps course on, “How To Attend An Online Memorial Service and Sound Like a Complete Jack#$%” ?

c3ichief on July 11, 2008 at 7:04 PM

God bless these men and their families, as well as their brothers in arms. Thankfully although we have not found their earthly bodies before now, God has welcomed them into his comforting arms and has been taking care of them since.

I love you guys and thank you to the Lord for keeping them in your loving arms.

MsUnderestimated on July 11, 2008 at 8:44 PM

I love you guys and thank you to the Lord for keeping them in your loving arms.

MsUnderestimated on July 11, 2008 at 8:44 PM

That made me cry. Another amen to that.

Glynn on July 11, 2008 at 9:25 PM

I heard the news yesterday,and its sad,
and for the families I can only imagine.

In the call of Freedom,these American
soldiers laid down their life’s for the
Liberation of Iraq.

As a Canadian,I pray for the families
and to America, the US Military,and to
Byron Fouty and Alex Jimenez,again
thank-you for being the,

Leaders of The Free World.

canopfor on July 11, 2008 at 9:28 PM

factoid on July 11, 2008 at 5:53 PM

Your kind has been on the wrong side of history ever since the Bolsheviks seized power in 1917. Your kind went over to the genocidal Stalinist regime and pronounced inanities such as “I have seen the future and it works”. Your kind claimed that socialism was “the wave of the future” and went into a deep depression as all the former Soviet bloc nations came out of the darkness into the light. You and your new boyfriend Pat Buchanan and his useful idiot acolytes would be the first ones beheaded if the forces of Islamofascism eveer came to power here.

Hilts on July 11, 2008 at 9:49 PM

The Pentagon gave few details about how Spc Jimenez met his fate

God only knows what horror and suffering these men endured, and God will take vengence on their murderers, either in this life, or the next.

labrat on July 11, 2008 at 9:53 PM

labrat on July 11, 2008 at 9:53 PM

The Muslim can match the Japanese Army of World War II for out and out cruelty.

Hilts on July 11, 2008 at 9:57 PM

Squid Shark
I was telling factoid that he/she/it was trying to make political hay out of the blood of those who made the ultimate sacrifice. And that it is in the poorest of taste to qualify and dismiss the sacrifice of any citizen soldier in service to their homelands interests.

BL@KBIRD on July 12, 2008 at 1:52 AM

“Byron went to Iraq to help people who couldn’t help themselves,” said Mr Dibler [Fouty’s stepfather]. “I know their sacrifice was not for nothing. It was not in vain.”

See also…

It is rather for us to be here dedicated to the great task remaining before us—that from these honored dead we take increased devotion to that cause for which they here gave the last full measure of devotion—that we here highly resolve that these dead shall not have died in vain—that this nation, under God, shall have a new birth of freedom, and that government of the people, by the people, for the people, shall not perish from the earth.

– Abraham Lincoln, November 19, 1863.

May God bless those who have the courage to give that last full measure…

uncivilized on July 12, 2008 at 8:37 AM

factoid on July 11, 2008 at 5:53 PM

Wow it must be nice to be clairvoyant.

I couldn’t help but notice an absence of military service in your mini-bio.

Spiff sends regards,

MSG(RET), USA 18Z40W8
Former Police Officer
Devoted husband and father of three wonderful children
Proud Father-in-law to a WO2 currently serving in Iraq
Honest tax payer, somebody has to pay for the freebies the govt. spits out

SPIFF1669 on July 12, 2008 at 9:36 AM

It is of course a tragedy that these brave young men died but factoid has a point I think.

Anyone who has studied even the basics of Islam cannot help but suspect that this grand project of ‘bringing western democracy to the middle east’ is ultimately doomed to failure given that Islam is antithetical to democracy. In addition to that it is riven with tribal grievances that go back over 1000 years.

The war was a fool’s errand – well intentioned but perpetrated by ignorant fools…at best.

Ares on July 12, 2008 at 11:45 AM

Ed started this post as a memorial for fallen soldiers and for the most part the commenters responded accordingly.

Implicit in the service of America’s warriors in hostile areas is the solemn vow that all of those warriors will return; alive or dead.

This promise has been kept as well as any similar promise in an imperfect world. We strive mightily to return all of our warriors alive but failing that strive to bring their bodies’ home to their families, sometimes years or decades after they have fallen.

Many here probably do not know that promise even extends to those fallen warriors buried in the American cemeteries on foreign soil. A family always has the right to ask that their father/son/brother be returned to them.

I used to visit the American cemetery at Madingly, just outside Cambridge in England when I was stationed in nearby RAF Alconbury. It is a beautiful, solemn place and I urge any of you visiting East Anglia to go there. The ceiling of the chapel is reason enough by itself. During one of my visit I met an American brother and sister who were visiting their father’s grave and struggling with the decision whether to leave him there or take him back to the U.S. for burial in the family’s hometown.

I never did learn their final decision; I like to think they decided to leave him in that beautiful place.

Ed, knowingly or not, has paid tribute to the spirit and words of that promise and I thank him for that.

E9RET on July 12, 2008 at 12:35 PM

My very deepest condolences to family and friends. Rest in peace heroes.

oakpack on July 12, 2008 at 3:44 PM

Pat Buchanon was a commie.????????????????
GEE,I thought he was a nazi.???????????????

kingaljr on July 13, 2008 at 5:12 AM