Obama: I embarrass myself!

posted at 5:15 pm on July 11, 2008 by Ed Morrissey

Barack Obama’s comment that Americans should teach their children Spanish rather than worry about whether immigrants speak English gave another example of his arrogance and elitist impulses earlier this week.  In a memorable moment, he pronounced himself “embarrassed” by Americans who travel abroad and can’t speak the local language — which called into question why he doesn’t get similarly perturbed by foreigners who move here and can’t speak ours.  Today, Obama tried to “clarify” his comments by wondering aloud why people found them offensive:

“This is an example of some of the problems we get into when somebody attacks you for saying the truth, which is we should want children with more knowledge. We should want our children to have more skills. There’s nothing wrong with that! It’s a good thing,” he said.

While the Obama campaign says that Obama speaks a little bit of Indonesian, Obama himself admits that he isn’t bilingual.

“I know because I don’t speak a foreign language. It’s embarrassing!” he said.

So now Barack Obama has managed the impossible — he’s thrown himself under his own bus!

Obama mischaracterizes both his earlier comments and the response.  No one argued that children should not learn a second language, although we may want to do a better job in teaching them their first language before worrying about adding another.  Obama specifically criticized the push to make English the official language of the US and the end of requirements to produce documents and signs in a multitude of languages to accommodate people who don’t learn English while living here.  Here are the original comments:

I — uh — I don’t understand when people are going worrying about “We need to have English only.”  They want to pass a law — “we just — we want English only”.  Now I agree that immigrants should learn English.  I agree with that.  But — but understand this.  Instead of worrying about whether, uh, immigrants can learn English — they’ll learn English — you need to make sure your child can speak Spanish!  You should be thinking about how your child can become bilingual.  We should have every child speaking more than one language.

You know, it’s embarrassing when Europeans come over here, they all speak English, they speak French, they speak German. And then we go over to Europe and all we can say is merci beaucoup.  Right?

Clearly, he was not talking in the context of education policy. He was attacking people who want to stop pandering to those who refuse to assimilate when they move to the US. “They’ll learn English,” Obama states, but the evidence in every government office shows that we don’t expect them to do so, and many of them don’t. We spend a lot of money printing everything in several different languages — not just Spanish — which is a testament to the fact that we don’t.

And if Obama was speaking about education policy, he’d still be wrong. Most school districts require a second language in high school, although they don’t require it to be Spanish. Spanish wouldn’t help much in France or Germany anyway.

To no one’s great surprise, Obama tried spinning his way out of his elitist, snobby remarks by essentially lying about their context. He then contradicted repeated assertions during the campaign that he spoke Spanish (he did an ad in Spanish during the primaries). He’s flip-flopped on his own bilingual status and called himself an embarrassment as a defense.

What a week!

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2

The other thing to notice about that clip, when you hear it (rather than read it), the audience is all for EVERY RIDICULOUS WORD he says. It was almost like a stand up comic routine.

BARF

kirkill on July 11, 2008 at 5:19 PM

But Obama speaks the truth here, He is an embarassment!

kirkill on July 11, 2008 at 5:21 PM

Hypocrisy 19:26 Obama looked at them and said, “With man this is impossible, but with me all things are possible.”

jdog on July 11, 2008 at 5:21 PM

The two worst candidates, ever.

lorien1973 on July 11, 2008 at 5:21 PM

Whew, the anti-Christ should be fluent in many languages, unless his false prophet is VERY good we might be in the clear for now.

Squid Shark on July 11, 2008 at 5:22 PM

It’s all just words.

becki51758 on July 11, 2008 at 5:22 PM

Hannity is raking Obama over the coals!
Bwahahahahahaha, Ha!

If you missed Newt and Sean going at it together, over the weekend go over transcripts. What fun!!! Here are two points from Obamarx himself:

1. Don’t travel to a place where you do not speak their native tongue. Obamarx Passport policy.

2. Allow gas price to reach $12/gallon in America.

Newt’s response? We’d no longer NEED to learn the foreign language before getting a passport because we won’t be able to afford to travel.

CAN YOU AFFORD OBAMARX?
How much will it cost you to fill your gas tank @ $12.00/gallon? Hannity will collect your data if you email him @ his website.

maverick muse on July 11, 2008 at 5:25 PM

Obama is just another evil Republican politican. Oops, sorry, he’s a Dem. My mistake!

TimothyJ on July 11, 2008 at 5:26 PM

It’s ok if the Messiah goes under the bus. He can raise himself from the dead in three days.

Lehosh on July 11, 2008 at 5:27 PM

This is not the me I knew.

uniclone on July 11, 2008 at 5:27 PM

Obama clearly said “I don’t understand.” So now he just needs to stop musing out loud, and we’ll all feel safer.

NellE on July 11, 2008 at 5:27 PM

It really doesn’t make any sense when you think about it. Its embarassing that we, as foreigners in other countries, can’t speak the native language, but that if the foreigners who come to the USA who want to LIVE here, if we require them to learn our language, that’s somehow…not ok? Shouldn’t they want to learn english so as not to be embarassed? Or is it only other countries that are so snooty as to make those who don’t speak their language feel embarassed about that fact?

I mean…Obama must be a Jedi, because this is some sort of Obi Wan Kenobi logic that only works on the weaker minds, i.e., Obamanauts.

jimmy the notable on July 11, 2008 at 5:27 PM

1. We should know French before visiting France.
2. We should all learn Spanish as a second language.
3. No assertion that Americans need a third language.
4. So none of us will know French.
5. Therefore Messbama(R) is calling on us to boycott France in perpetuity.

raybury on July 11, 2008 at 5:28 PM

But Obama speaks the truth here, He is an embarassment!

kirkill on July 11, 2008 at 5:21 PM

He’ll refine his message if not himself before you know it. Will it have the ol’ familiar ring?
“This is not myself that I knew.”–Obamarx

maverick muse on July 11, 2008 at 5:28 PM

Now wait just a second…. Obama’s lying through his teeth here.

Let’s look at his words:

“I know because I don’t speak a foreign language. It’s embarrassing!” he said.

Except didn’t he claim he knows–count ‘em–4 languages? I’m trying to find the cite, but doesn’t he speak Indonesian (as the article states), English, Spanish, and Swahili?

Ah, found my source: http://volokh.com/posts/1215743026.shtml

So he’s flopping again! Man the guy should just file a change of name to “waffles.”

Vanceone on July 11, 2008 at 5:29 PM

I would like to know how he get into college without a second language.

historian on July 11, 2008 at 5:30 PM

Rep.King was just on Foxnews and suggests we call Speaker Pelosi this weekend: 202-225-0100

Apparently, she has asked for citizens to phone the President and tell him to do something about gas prices. She seems to think the President is keeping Congress from voting on any bills to do with oil prices.

I know I’ll be calling her! :)

becki51758 on July 11, 2008 at 5:30 PM

The two worst candidates, ever.

lorien1973 on July 11, 2008 at 5:21 PM

Say that again! One will bring down the Country. Another will bring down the Party.Which one is lesser worse?

Anita on July 11, 2008 at 5:30 PM

Obama repeatedly says that we need to change from the failed policies of George W. Bush. Since Bush does speak some Spanish, Obama’s ignorance fulfills his campaign promise!

But what DID they teach him at Harvard, if not Spanish?

One more case of Obama “do as I say, not as I do”–he wants other Americans to learn Spanish, but not himself.

Like when he told Wesleyan graduates not to seek a big house, after he got $300K off (through Rezko) and a discount mortgage for HIS big house.

Que Obama se vaya…

Steve Z on July 11, 2008 at 5:31 PM

So Obama is now distancing himself from himself! Pretty remarkable–

If I said that, then, clearly, I am not the man I knew. Please understand, that I will have nothing further do do with myself, and when I take office as your president, I can guarantee you that I won’t even be invited to sleep in the Lincoln Bedroom.

morganfrost on July 11, 2008 at 5:31 PM

Well, he’s convinced me that it will only take about six months into an Obama presidency for him to reduce me to pining for the Carter era. This guy is nothing more than an amiable dunce.

Constitutional law professor? HA! He can’t even win a debate with himself.

Dusty on July 11, 2008 at 5:33 PM

historian on July 11, 2008 at 5:30 PM

He’s 40 something. I’m only 36 and I got out with out a second language. Although they may have counted Pascal or C++!

jdog on July 11, 2008 at 5:33 PM

The two worst candidates ever: Obama the Leftist and Obama the pseudo-centrist.

Steve Z on July 11, 2008 at 5:34 PM

All the cool people are already under Obama’s bus, so he wants to join them.

pedestrian on July 11, 2008 at 5:35 PM

I cannot wait until my McCain t-shirt arrives.

Theworldisnotenough on July 11, 2008 at 5:35 PM

So that’s how Europe feels about Americans in Europe? Is that to say how Europeans felt when they needed American Dough Boys to save their ass and sacrifice our lives, and American military saving them again in WWII? We are not welcome if we do not speak their language? The natural response would be WTF.

Where does Obamarx pull this tripe from? His own *ss or from his global business contacts pre-law?

Actually, the most sensible conclusion is that Obamarx is just preparing America for the UGLY IMAGE he will force upon us in all of his irresponsible elitist inexperience. He knows he’s a f*ck-up and he’s just cushioning his fall in advance. He’s smearing raw egg all over his face as we watch.

maverick muse on July 11, 2008 at 5:35 PM

Silly Barack! He speaks at least two languages: English, and doublespeak.

rockmom on July 11, 2008 at 5:38 PM

The two worst candidates ever: Obama the Leftist and Obama the pseudo-centrist.

Steve Z on July 11, 2008 at 5:34 PM

encore!
which part prints on the front,
and which on the back?

I think the punchline had better be up front so as to see the readers’ response (and step aside incoming).

maverick muse on July 11, 2008 at 5:39 PM

Whats embarrassing is press 1 for English press 2 for Spanish.

Chakra Hammer on July 11, 2008 at 5:41 PM

Since Most Illegal Aliens don’t know English then they cant come here..

How about that Obama?

Chakra Hammer on July 11, 2008 at 5:42 PM

Silly Barack! He speaks at least two languages: English, and doublespeak.
rockmom on July 11, 2008 at 5:38 PM

lol

He’s working hard tackling Newspeak, but keeps reverting to faux Southern drall regardless of which language he improvises off from teleprompt cue. Again, giving Jesse Jackson another hernia over playing Minstrel Uncle Tom for sympathy accompanying all of his guffaws.

maverick muse on July 11, 2008 at 5:43 PM

Obama: I embarrass myself!

Even a stopped clock is right twice a day. hehe

Branch Rickey on July 11, 2008 at 5:43 PM

This is not the me I knew. – Uniclone

Haha! This is gonna stick to him the way ‘I was for it before I was against it’ stuck to Kerry.

Tony737 on July 11, 2008 at 5:45 PM

Chakra Hammer on July 11, 2008 at 5:42 PM
Touché!

maverick muse on July 11, 2008 at 5:45 PM

That is not how Europeans see us. It is, however, how elitist liberals see the Europeans as seeing us. And, somehow, to them, that is all that matters. It’s insane, but reality means nothing to them, just their _perception_ of reality and their _perception_ of other people’s _perceptions_.

Theophile on July 11, 2008 at 5:45 PM

[becki51758 on July 11, 2008 at 5:30 PM]

Be persistent in your efforts, I’ve tried several times and it’s always a busy signal.

Dusty on July 11, 2008 at 5:46 PM

Obama finds himself embarrassing. I also find him embarrassing. Uh-oh. I am in agreement with Obama.

[starting to quiver and drool, eyes crossing]

I feel like that floating robot that Capt Kirk killed with a paradox. “I agree with Obama. Does not compute. Does not compute.”

innominatus on July 11, 2008 at 5:48 PM

….. although we may want to do a better job in teaching them their first language before worrying about adding another.

…. and math and science and civics and ….

My first thought when I heard Husseins remarks were “He thinks that doctors need to know English, Spanish and their native Hindi?”.

Harpoon on July 11, 2008 at 5:49 PM

>“This is not myself that I knew.”–Obamarx
maverick muse on July 11, 2008 at 5:28 PM

Tony737 on July 11, 2008 at 5:45 PM

I think you are right! Last night I thought everyone was so tired of the “flip flop” label. Thank Obamarx himself for his own phrase making himself ever so UNIQUE, INfamously distinguished and REFINED. bwahahahaha!

As you put it, “This is not the me I knew. – Uniclone”
Bright minds think alike.

maverick muse on July 11, 2008 at 5:50 PM

Seriously, this is the only thing that ever happened in Powder Springs. That makes it even funnier. B. O. could have found a more provincial setting.

There a lot of great people in Powder Springs; but a friend of mine won’t, “go all the way to Atlanta.”

{it’s like 14 miles!}

Branch Rickey on July 11, 2008 at 5:52 PM

Here’s one for ya, Messiah:

Ani lo medabaret inglit. (phonetically of course) – I don’t speak English.

mjk on July 11, 2008 at 5:52 PM

We’ve come full circle Ed. I mean Obama is messing with the sort of family rule thing. I can say my sister is a fool, but if someone else said it they’d get punched. Obama can make fun of himself or his children for not knowing other languages but don’t say I should be learning it.

He is trying to do damage controll but in the end he’s saying we should have to learn Spanish but we should give the illegals all the time they need to learn English.

His Inartful response doesn’t work here.

Rbastid on July 11, 2008 at 5:52 PM

What a week! weak-assed excuse for a Presidential candidate.

FTFY

Mallard T. Drake on July 11, 2008 at 5:54 PM

becki51758 on July 11, 2008 at 5:30 PM

busy right now; i’ll stay on it…..thx

Branch Rickey on July 11, 2008 at 5:57 PM

I can see the “Talks without preconditions,” now…

Achmadinnerjacket: “Welcome to Iran, Infidel.”

Obama: “merci beaucoup.”

franksalterego on July 11, 2008 at 6:00 PM

Does that multilingual requirement Obama wants restricted to spoken languages?

I’m curious because while I’m only fluent in English, I am fluent in several different computer languages. I know this may sound trite but I make a living and I am contributing to the nation’s economy by using these languages everyday.

I could speak Spanish. Or French. Or Indonesian. But none of those would put food on the table or contribute to the GDP.

Ironically, many of my clients are from Europe, the biggest from France, and all our software and contract negotiations are done in English.

My main point is that for most Americans, proficiency in a second language is secondary skill, and considering that our children can’t compete in basic academics with other developed nations, we shouldn’t even be discussing this at a national level.

SPCOlympics on July 11, 2008 at 6:05 PM

Theophile on July 11, 2008 at 5:45 PM

Exactly and McVain is just as ridiculous at times on this. I wish he would not care what the useless NYT and psychotic WaPo says.

No Alternatives ’08

Branch Rickey on July 11, 2008 at 6:06 PM

Gosh, how low can he go?

ParisParamus on July 11, 2008 at 6:06 PM

He’s such the Inartful Dodger.

Texas Rainmaker on July 11, 2008 at 6:10 PM

There’s nothing new in this.

Liberals are really good when it comes to “Do as I say, not as I do.”

drjohn on July 11, 2008 at 6:10 PM

I gotta email Hannity right away…it’ll cost me $220 every two weeks to fill my CAMRY!

Vntnrse on July 11, 2008 at 6:10 PM

I can see the “Talks without preconditions,” now…

Achmadinnerjacket: “Welcome to Iran, Infidel.”

Obama: “merci beaucoup.”

franksalterego on July 11, 2008 at 6:00 PM

LOL

drjohn on July 11, 2008 at 6:10 PM

Well dang, who is left now :-)

JeffinSac on July 11, 2008 at 6:11 PM

It would be nice if American school children could speak, read and write English.

tarpon on July 11, 2008 at 6:14 PM

Hey B.O., why not announce that if you are elected, your first act will be to send each household $1500 to get the Rosetta Stone Language Course of their choice?

pilamaye on July 11, 2008 at 6:14 PM

Well dang, who is left now :-)

His wife? I suspect he’s too scared to throw her under the bus.

Or has he already done that? I’ve lost track.

mjk on July 11, 2008 at 6:17 PM

Dusty on July 11, 2008 at 5:46 PM

I have all weekend since I cant afford gas to go anywhere. I hope she hasnt taken the phone off the hook!

becki51758 on July 11, 2008 at 6:23 PM

franksalterego on July 11, 2008 at 6:00 PM

LMAO!

becki51758 on July 11, 2008 at 6:24 PM

Well dang, who is left now :-)

JeffinSac on July 11, 2008 at 6:11 PM

More importantly….who’s driving??!!!

Mallard T. Drake on July 11, 2008 at 6:26 PM

uhoh..Speaker Pelosi’s mailbox is full!!

Her office will reopen tomorrow at 8:30 Am. hahaa

becki51758 on July 11, 2008 at 6:26 PM

LOL!

Thanks for the laugh ED!

aengus on July 11, 2008 at 6:31 PM

This is not the me I knew.

uniclone on July 11, 2008 at 5:27 PM

What took you so long?

How about “I am not the Obama I knew!”?

Jaibones on July 11, 2008 at 6:39 PM

So that’s how Europe feels about Americans in Europe?

Uh, no. Obama is an American remember? He represents Chicago and if he wins the Presidency he’ll represent America.

Obama’s real motive for urging Americans to learn Spanish is to assimilate with Mexican immigrants but obviously he can’t say this.

You’re taking something Obama said for his own reasons and attributing it to people who live far away.

Almost everyone in Europe speaks English.

No one except the French cares whether you speak their language or not and they get just as steamed if Italians, Spaniards etc. don’t speak French.

Listen to this to calm yourself down.

aengus on July 11, 2008 at 6:40 PM

This campaign continues to entertain.

Bob's Kid on July 11, 2008 at 6:41 PM

Barry an embarrassment?

I think Hillary mentioned that back in February.

T J Green on July 11, 2008 at 6:43 PM

Is this guy for real?

Here’s a FACT, BHO: We don’t care what Euro-peons think of us.

Claypigeon on July 11, 2008 at 6:48 PM

Obama: I embarrass myself.

I think that’s the first time I’ve ever agreed with Obama about anything. But I’d go even further, Barry. You don’t just embarrass yourself, you embarrass our entire nation.

AZCoyote on July 11, 2008 at 6:48 PM

Why isn’t Osama Obama’s TelePrompter bilingual?

MrScribbler on July 11, 2008 at 6:54 PM

Here’s a FACT, BHO: We don’t care what Euro-peons think of us.

Neither does Obama. Mexican Spanish, which is what he wants Americans to learn, is not understood on the Continent.

aengus on July 11, 2008 at 7:06 PM

But Obama studied the Koran as a child, so didn’t he know Arabic then? He needs a refresher course so he’ll be less embarrassing.

HotWeaver on July 11, 2008 at 7:08 PM

Well dang, who is left now :-)

JeffinSac on July 11, 2008 at 6:11 PM

Oh Lordy, is that Hillary I see behind the wheel?

Lily on July 11, 2008 at 7:09 PM

Saying you’re embarrassed that Americans don’t speak French is like the French being embarrassed about not speaking Spanish – they’re not, and they shouldn’t be. Even though they are neighboring countries!

If the French don’t know Spanish, why should Americans? Oh, right, because they speak English. Gotcha.

Seixon on July 11, 2008 at 7:18 PM

He is so full of kkkrap. There is a bona fide reason for Europeans to speak multiple languages – the countries are in close proximity. Take the (former) U.S.S.R. out of the picture and the area of most of Europe fits well within the area of the United States. If our states each spoke different languages, we’d all speak multiple languages too.

Especially for those in mid-sized businesses, if you’re located in Switzerland, for example, you’d better speak Swiss-German, German, French, English, Spanish and perhaps a few more – it’s necessary there. Going from west Texas to east Texas or southern California to northern California can be the equivalent to passing through 5 or 6 countries in Europe.

I wonder how many multi-lingual Europeans speak Romanian, Polish, Greek, etc. The majority who are multi-lingual will speak English, French, Spanish, German, and perhaps Italian – how many of those speak the slavish languages? Not so many.

Now don’t get me wrong, I am envious of anyone who speaks more than one language. Most that do have a reason for it – parent’s languages, business, extensive travel, etc. But for the majority of U.S. citizens, it simply hasn’t been necessary, it’s been more of a personal achievement.

Garnet92 on July 11, 2008 at 7:18 PM

Exactly. Which is why (almost) no one speaks anything other than English in Britain and Ireland – because they’re island nations.

aengus on July 11, 2008 at 7:22 PM

[Lily on July 11, 2008 at 7:09 PM]

LOL. If the bus suddenly lurches into reverse we can be sure it is.

Dusty on July 11, 2008 at 7:23 PM

lorien1973 on July 11, 2008 at 5:21 PM

And they’re both Obama.

Buford Gooch on July 11, 2008 at 7:28 PM

This kind of stuff, I feel is going to bring people who have never voted out to vote against BO.

kahall on July 11, 2008 at 7:28 PM

I wonder how many multi-lingual Europeans speak Romanian, Polish, Greek, etc.

Anyone over 50 would have learned Greek and Latin in school but you main point about Eastern European languages in general is spot on.

aengus on July 11, 2008 at 7:32 PM

Wait a minute.

Who wrote of Obama speaking with a “perfect” accent?

drjohn on July 11, 2008 at 7:41 PM

“Do as I say, not as I do” = Worst form of leadership imaginable.

Hog Wild on July 11, 2008 at 8:07 PM

aengus on July 11, 2008 at 7:06 PM

In Mexico,
There are four major dialects with at least sixty-two(62)indigenous forms. This just shows what an intellectual fraud Obama truly is.

Beto Ochoa on July 11, 2008 at 8:12 PM

For an Uber-Educated Elitist…..

Obomination sure says UH…..UM…..a Hell-Of-Alot….

And I DO MEAN EVERY TIME HE SPEAKS…………

awesum on July 11, 2008 at 8:16 PM

I work for a company whose home office is in Germany. And it’s the official dictate of the company that ALL company business will only be recognized if it is in English. English, as most abroad understand, is the official language of international business. ’nuff said.

MsUnderestimated on July 11, 2008 at 8:16 PM

Let me put my comment in a different light.
Mexican dude who grew up in Texas, speaks spanish at speed of light, tries to tell a Mexican from northwest Mexico what he wants him to do. Mexico Mexican guessing at least half the time what the Texican wants of him.

Beto Ochoa on July 11, 2008 at 8:19 PM

Jessie Jackson was partially right, he does talk down to everyone.

Maybe Barry should realize that Europeans came here because it sucked to be there. For that matter, just about every country in the world came here for the same reasons. So why is the European model so important to emulate when so many left Europe to get away from it?

Barry, are you ashamed to be a American? Embarrassed?
Maybe you haven’t been proud to be an American yet, like your wife tells us she is for the first time in her life.

Kini on July 11, 2008 at 8:22 PM

The issue that has legs is not the policy issue, but that he was attacking Americans for being uneducated boors who just don’t hold a candle to European sophisticates.

This ought to go over well on the NASCAR circuit.

Buy Danish on July 11, 2008 at 8:27 PM

You’re already emulating the European model. Capitalism wasn’t thought up in Africa nor did it emerge out of thin air in 1776.

aengus on July 11, 2008 at 8:36 PM

Bus & Driver
He has so many points on his license that it should be revoked, never to get behind the wheel again.

Blackacre on July 11, 2008 at 8:41 PM

aengus on July 11, 2008 at 8:36 PM

No, I’m emulating the American model. Barry wants the European model.

Capitalism has been around for centuries. We, Americans, just do it better.

Kini on July 11, 2008 at 8:42 PM

Question: What do he and Michelle do to make sure their kids are bilingual?

TinMan13 on July 11, 2008 at 8:49 PM

The guy’s lying. He knows at least a smattering of Arabic with a “first class accent” according to the NYT. Come on, Barack! Recite the call to prayer! He also went to school in Indonesia and didn’t pick up a little of the local language? I thought he was a genius?

shazbat on July 11, 2008 at 8:51 PM

Capitalism has been around for centuries.

So because its been around for centuries it didn’t come from any particular place it just sort of exists like oxegyn?

We, Americans, just do it better.

No disagreement here.

aengus on July 11, 2008 at 8:53 PM

shazbat on July 11, 2008 at 8:51 PM

He graduated from Columbia with a degree in Int’l Relations. They have a language rqm’t. Would like to see his transcripts.

JiangxiDad on July 11, 2008 at 9:04 PM

Obama specifically said “You need to make sure your child can speak Spanish.” Does anyone know if his children speak Spanish?

bigbeas on July 11, 2008 at 9:04 PM

Of course Obama is bilingual.

You have to be with two faces.

He speaks weasel and he knows pander.

profitsbeard on July 11, 2008 at 9:08 PM

aengus on July 11, 2008 at 8:53 PM

Oxegyn? Did you mean: Oxygen?

The point is, capitalism is best when free from government or artificial interference. Yes, it’s always been around for centuries. Bartering and supply versus demand are principle components of makes a free market system. What flourishes is success, what fails is left behind. It also defined as value. You see it everyday when you go to the grocery store. Just look at the produce section.

Kini on July 11, 2008 at 9:09 PM

becki51758 at 5:30 pm: Are you sure that you heard Rep. King correctly re Nancy Pelosi and gas prices?

According to my own Republican Rep., who is a strong supporter of using our natural resources for America’s energy needs, Nancy Pelosi has prevented any energy bills that do so from coming to the floor.

This little blurb from powerlineblog supports the idea that Pelosi is at the root of the problem. Any calls to her office should be a reminder that she serves the American people and that they are fed up with her obstructionist ways in providing relief at the pump and for high food prices. Her refusal to allow oil drilling, building of refineries, building of nuclear facilities, and tapping gas reserves is destroying our nation.

onlineanalyst on July 11, 2008 at 9:10 PM

I take that back. He claims to have a degree in Int’l Relations, but according to Wiki he graduated with a poli-sci degree. i don’t know what the language rqm’t was when he graduated, and Obama refuses to release his Columbia transcript.

Obama transferred to CC from Occidental College which (poor place) is also rarely mentioned by the young senator. At Occidental, Obama had been into partying and drugs. He hoped the move to New York, and Columbia, would put him on a more serious track.

While at Columbia, he lived off campus. He claims to have spent his first night sleeping in an alley near the corner of 109th and Amsterdam Avenue and washing with the homeless next to an open fire hydrant. He eventually moved into a walkup on E. 94th St., in East Harlem, where he would “chat with his Puerto Rican neighbors about…the sound of gunfire at night”.

When he was on campus, he concentrated on academic work, spending most of his time in Butler Library “like a monk”, and made few friends. He also took up jogging and “stopped getting high”. The racist and anti-Semitic graffiti he sometimes encountered on bathroom walls on campus helped him form his ideas about race and class. He wrote of “the almost mathematical precision with which America’s race and class problems joined; the depth, the ferocity, of resulting tribal wars; the bile that flowed freely not just out on the streets but in the stalls of Columbia’s bathrooms as well”.

Obama claims to have participated to some extent in anti-apartheid activities with the Black Students Organization, but no one is quite sure.

He majored in PoliSci, and claims to have concentrated in “International Relations,” a designation which does not exist at Columbia. Sources differ on whether he wrote his senior thesis on Soviet nuclear disarmament[2] or the North-South debate on trade and the “new international economic order”

JiangxiDad on July 11, 2008 at 9:10 PM

JiangxiDad on July 11, 2008 at 9:10 PM

Even if there was a language requirement, you can take foreign language courses to meet that requirement and still not be “bilingual.” There’s probably nothing there. I still want to know his kids speak Spanish since he told me mine should.

bigbeas on July 11, 2008 at 9:14 PM