McCain gets $22 million in June

posted at 2:52 pm on July 10, 2008 by Ed Morrissey

John McCain increased his fundraising in June, raising one million dollars more than in May in hitting $22 million.  Given the normally slower summer cycle and the supposed disorganization in his campaign, this comes as welcome news:

Republican presidential candidate John McCain raised $22 million for his White House bid in June and had nearly $27 million in the bank at the end of the month, campaign manager Rick Davis said on Thursday.

That fund-raising figure is a slight increase from May, when McCain raised $21 million and reported nearly $36 million in the bank.

Along with the success that the RNC has had, the McCain campaign looks to have solid financial footing for the rest of the general election campaign. They can work together to build GOTV efforts and do summer advertising in key battleground states while the DNC struggles to pay for its convention.

Barack Obama has yet to announce his June numbers.  Since peaking in February, his numbers have declined 20% or more each successive month, and in May trailed McCain slightly in fundraising.  If he drops below his May numbers in June, he may have seriously miscalculated the decision to eschew public financing.

Comments

He didn’t get any from me !!

jake-the-goose on July 10, 2008 at 2:56 PM

If [Obama] drops below his May numbers in June, he may have seriously miscalculated the decision to eschew public financing.

And that would be tragic.

NeighborhoodCatLady on July 10, 2008 at 2:56 PM

“Barack Obama has yet to announce his June numbers. Since peaking in February, his numbers have declined 20% or more each successive month, and in May trailed McCain slightly in fundraising. If he drops below his May numbers in June, he may have seriously miscalculated the decision to eschew public financing.”

That would be so sweet! He’s getting to the point where he might have to throw himself under the bus.

bbz123 on July 10, 2008 at 2:56 PM

I have heard that as long as he hasn’t violated any of the spending limits Obama can reverse his decision to skip public financing? Is this true?

flip-flop-flip?

MarkTheGreat on July 10, 2008 at 2:58 PM

I liked him more when he was totally strapped for cash and carrying his own luggage through the airport.

The Race Card on July 10, 2008 at 2:59 PM

McCain’s doing quite nicely with his Tortoise vs. Hare strategy. Slow & steady wins the race.

Gilda on July 10, 2008 at 2:59 PM

Gilda on July 10, 2008 at 2:59 PM

McCain the TURTLE – ok,, I can see that,, I have often said he has his head up his…. shell.

jake-the-goose on July 10, 2008 at 3:00 PM

Which may send him a signal about his lurch right. You know they have to be sweating that effect on fundraising. How long will he wait before he compensates? Another month to make sure or immediately?

a capella on July 10, 2008 at 3:00 PM

Don’t be surprised if Obama outraises by a bit. I hope he doesn’t, but don’t set yourself up for disappointment. This was the first month after securing the nomination and, though he’s been pissing off his money-wielding base as of late, he’s held multi-million fundraisers.

amerpundit on July 10, 2008 at 3:01 PM

I’m getting sick of Obama laughing at America and Americans. It’s not presidential, it’s just plain nasty and arrogant.

I support the only adult left in the race.

JustTruth101 on July 10, 2008 at 3:03 PM

MarkTheGreat on July 10, 2008 at 2:58 PM

Wouldn’t that be great? No way he could spin his way out of that.

a capella on July 10, 2008 at 3:03 PM

I made my contribution.

Have you?

Stopping a blame America first, marxist that would destroy the economy from occupying the White House is a good investment.

JayHaw Phrenzie on July 10, 2008 at 3:07 PM

JayHaw Phrenzie on July 10, 2008 at 3:07 PM

You talking about McCain or Obama?

Yuk Yuk !!!

jake-the-goose on July 10, 2008 at 3:09 PM

If [Hussein] drops below his May numbers in June, he may have seriously miscalculated the decision to flip on public financing and would have to flop back to his original position.

Akzed on July 10, 2008 at 3:10 PM

“After listening to my constituents I will reconsider my decision to eschew public financing”.

BacaDog on July 10, 2008 at 3:10 PM

a capella on July 10, 2008 at 3:00 PM

June and July could be slow months for Obama because the excitement of the primary is over, people have had enough of politics for now or they are on vacation. And Hillary’s supporters aren’t exactly flocking to Obama (since he’s not much help with her debt).

But if Obama dips in June and July, the halo, which was getting pretty tarnished already with flipflops and presidential seals, could get worse. Once the magic is gone he’s “just another politician.”

Wethal on July 10, 2008 at 3:11 PM

Made my contribution.

Not in love with McCain, but we simply cannot afford Barack Obama.

And from a pure comparison of their careers, it is laughable that Obama’s experience is even compared to that of McCain.

It will be a sad, cruel joke if this country selects the former over the latter.

Hawkins1701 on July 10, 2008 at 3:11 PM

I made my contribution.
Have you?
JayHaw Phrenzie on July 10, 2008 at 3:07 PM

I urge people who don’t like McCain and see an even worse outcome from a President Obama to pledge a hundred dollars to the McCain campaign and then send a check of ten dollars as “the first installment,” conditional to his backing off on his completely wrong for America support of illegal aliens who have successfully broken our nations laws by entering and staying illegally.

If and when McCain changes his mind on this, then you can send in the balance of $90.

This is one way to send him a message. If a few hundred thousand conservatives did this, he might get the hint.

wise_man on July 10, 2008 at 3:12 PM

You talking about McCain or Obama?Yuk Yuk !!!jake-the-goose on July 10, 2008 at 3:09 PM

U R SO FUNNNN-E!!!!!!!!!

wise_man on July 10, 2008 at 3:12 PM

bbz123 on July 10, 2008 at 2:56 PM

HAHA, how would that go? ‘I’m not the man I thought I knew.’ LOL.

ThackerAgency on July 10, 2008 at 3:12 PM

BacaDog on July 10, 2008 at 3:10 PM

Eschew obfuscation.

Akzed on July 10, 2008 at 3:13 PM

I have yet to crack the wallet yet. Fred! and Mitt tapped me out. Plus, it was the first time I’d ever donated to campaigns and they both sunk rapidly after my donation. I don’t want to be a Jessica Simpson and ruin McCain’s chances, too.

But I’ll probably donate at some point…

NTWR on July 10, 2008 at 3:13 PM

Donating to McCain does give one pause, after all the pokes in the eye he’s given conservatives.

But the next president will most likely replace Stevens, Ginsberg, and maybe Souter on the Supreme Court. It could be youngish, healthy liberals, and the continuation of the Constitution According to Anthony Kennedy. Or it could be more Robertses and Alitos.

Wethal on July 10, 2008 at 3:15 PM

I’ll say it again…the Obama campaign will self-implode at some point this Summer.

John McCain will be a shoe-in. He is now. Watch Obama’s numbers dwindle after we finally get to the first debates.

JetBoy on July 10, 2008 at 3:15 PM

I support the only adult left in the race.

JustTruth101 on July 10, 2008 at 3:03 PM

I’m really getting sick of his pompous snickering attitude too. Just saw a clip of him on TV doing a smug schticky routine about Lindsey Graham’s recession remarks. He comes off as petty and unserious. Like a junior high schooler.

Not that I’m exactly a stranger to such things myself, but then again I’m not running for President. We need to take this arrogant doofus down a peg or two.

Gilda on July 10, 2008 at 3:15 PM

And that would be tragic.

Oh yeah it would be. Tragic. Heartbreaking, even.

muffled snort.chortle.guffaw

Bob's Kid on July 10, 2008 at 3:15 PM

wise_man on July 10, 2008 at 3:12 PM

Great idea…hmm…

NTWR on July 10, 2008 at 3:16 PM

It is going to cost Obama some money to get his nuts sewed back on…or the attempt to try and sew them back. That recovery period will slow him down on the campaign trail, so he best hope to have a good month this time. If the surgery doesn’t work, he’ll sound like Hillary…sheesh!

KarmiCommunist on July 10, 2008 at 3:23 PM

I really think if McCain & the Repubs stress improving the economy and fixing gas prices they’ll win.
Congress’ approval rating is in the toliet. Hammer the fact that since Pelosi took over, the economy (which took war and natural disaster in stride) has slowed down to a crawl and Republicans could gain this year.

Iblis on July 10, 2008 at 3:24 PM

But I’ll probably donate at some point…
NTWR on July 10, 2008 at 3:13 PM

Well, at least you tried. I don’t understand the republicans who voted for McCain over those two. Fred would have been a outstanding conservative voice and Mitt was very electable and a good choice to go up against Obama(in my opinion.)

It’s a long 4 months to go. There’s always time to give when the election is a month away, and TV ads would do a good job.

wise_man on July 10, 2008 at 3:24 PM

Looking at the archive, Obama turned down public financing on 6/19. He had to have some idea where his June numbers were heading before he made the decision. I would expect his June contributions to be significantly higher than McCain’s.

rw on July 10, 2008 at 3:26 PM

I would expect his June contributions to be significantly higher than McCain’s.

rw on July 10, 2008 at 3:26 PM

I’d say higher, but not significantly. June’s when he made the official announcement, but that was already a confirmation of what he had been alluding to in previous months. He was planning to opt-out when his numbers were coming in lower than previous months.

amerpundit on July 10, 2008 at 3:28 PM

McCain’s “in the bank” number declined by $9 million in June, meaning that he SPENT $31 million. But if he still has $27 million left, he can spend faster than that through July and August (assuming he can still pull in $20 million per month), then use the $85 million in Federal money starting in September. Now if only he can spend it WISELY!

I look forward to lots of Barack Before and Barack After ads, and let’s talk energy and taxes! Time for the Big Mac Attack!

If Obama has another anemic month in June after his May numbers, he might regret turning down a free $85 million from the government, if he can only raise $50 million or so during the last two months…

Steve Z on July 10, 2008 at 3:28 PM

JayHaw Phrenzie on July 10, 2008 at 3:07 PM

Yeah, because a blame America first socialist bent on wholesale amnesty and destroying the economy through business crushing “green” mandates is so much better a return dollar for dollar!

Seriously though, McCain has made it clear he doesn’t share my values and has vowed to take actions that run directly against everything I believe in. Not one red cent to cranky old bastard.

highhopes on July 10, 2008 at 3:28 PM

On what? Cranky old bastard has even been out there campaigning like he shoud be!

highhopes on July 10, 2008 at 3:30 PM

Gilda on July 10, 2008 at 3:15 PM

I’d have to say Im loving the red shorts. :)

As for Obama..he’s already called Pennsylvanians bitter,religious gun-clinging,etc. He thinks Americans are dumb and he’s embarrassed and he pays women less than men…and now he messes with the Pittsburgh Steelers!! ugh!

He has lost Pa for sure!

becki51758 on July 10, 2008 at 3:30 PM

amerpundit on July 10, 2008 at 3:01 PM

Wait, what? I heard Obama was getting all his $$$ from grassroots donors giving $10 or $20 a piece on the internet. This truly is the first campaign funded by the people!

^sarcasm^

malan89 on July 10, 2008 at 3:30 PM

highhopes on July 10, 2008 at 3:30 PM

He outspent Obama on advertising by 3:1.

malan89 on July 10, 2008 at 3:30 PM

Yeah, the average Americans that can afford $38,500/plate dinners.

amerpundit on July 10, 2008 at 3:32 PM

He outspent Obama on advertising by 3:1.

I haven’t seen an ad for either of them and I like it that way!

highhopes on July 10, 2008 at 3:38 PM

He outspent Obama on advertising by 3:1.

That’s not even counting the Vets for Freedom and RNC ads. I live in PA and I count at least 2 pro-McCain ads for every pro-Obama ad. This morning I started seeing a bunch AFL-CIO pro-Obama ads, so I’m sure that gap is going to start closing. I have to say, though, Obama’s ads are a LOT better/snazzier/attention grabbing/on message. McCain should nix the POW stuff and go all out with the energy ads. Obama’s already running what seems to be a response to the RNC energy ad that’s been running every two minutes. McCain needs to be on top of this. He doesn’t have a consistent message and it shows.

malan89 on July 10, 2008 at 3:38 PM

I haven’t seen an ad for either of them and I like it that way!

highhopes on July 10, 2008 at 3:38 PM

Do you live in a battleground state? If if not, I’ve heard that some of the ads are running nationally on the cable news nets (especially the 3rd party ads).

malan89 on July 10, 2008 at 3:40 PM

That’s not even counting the Vets for Freedom and RNC ads.

And all the other third party ads running.

malan89 on July 10, 2008 at 3:41 PM

I haven’t seen an ad for either of them and I like it that way!

highhopes on July 10, 2008 at 3:38 PM

Huh. I see them several times a day where I live.

amerpundit on July 10, 2008 at 3:45 PM

Huh. I see them several times a day where I live.

Have you started seeing the AFL-CIO ad? That is really nasty. I was wondering earlier why Dems support that ridiculous “Employee Free Choice Act” and now every time I see that ad I remember why. The Dems are so obviously in the pockets of the union bosses…it’s disgusting.

malan89 on July 10, 2008 at 3:50 PM

99,999 conservatives to go

Just did this and left the McCain camp the following message.
“I donated my first $10 today and if I see that Senator McCain tracks more towards enforcing our laws against illegal immigration and protecting Americans first, then the remaining $90 and maybe more will come his way. Good Luck! I think your’e going to need it this election cycle.”

Simonsez on July 10, 2008 at 3:53 PM

Have you started seeing the AFL-CIO ad?

malan89 on July 10, 2008 at 3:50 PM

Not that I recall, but I usually only watch a little TV during the daylight hours. Most of the ads I see are at night.

amerpundit on July 10, 2008 at 3:53 PM

Once the magic is gone he’s “just another politician.”

Wethal on July 10, 2008 at 3:11 PM

Not really, once the halo is gone, he’s a very Mediocre below average liberal intellectual who has alienated his support base facing a political veteran who makes mince meet of other politicians in debates. Remember the Republican debate where McCain had Romney (a highly skilled debater) red faced and on the ropes for the entire hour? Imagine what McCain would do to mumbles Obama.

Wise Golden on July 10, 2008 at 3:53 PM

It would be too perfect.

misterpeasea on July 10, 2008 at 3:54 PM

Do you live in a battleground state?

Louisiana? Not bloody likely. I would think the only battle here is over who DOESN’T get stuck with picking up the Ray Nagin and William Jefferson endorsements.

highhopes on July 10, 2008 at 4:01 PM

Huh. I see them several times a day where I live.

amerpundit on July 10, 2008 at 3:45 PM

Lucky you!

highhopes on July 10, 2008 at 4:01 PM

Which would be a richly-deserved karmic payback for this lying hypocrite.

AZCoyote on July 10, 2008 at 4:07 PM

I honestly think I would wet myself because I would be laughing so hard…how undignified.

HawaiiLwyr on July 10, 2008 at 4:09 PM

malan89 on July 10, 2008 at 3:40 PM

They’re both running ads in the Philadelphia area.

Wethal on July 10, 2008 at 4:10 PM

Obama may have decided to eschew public financing because he thought he would get a bonanza from Hillary’s big donors. So far it’s been a trickle. If he can’t shake more money loose from that tree he may be in some trouble. He’s got a ginormous payroll and is spending more money faster than any candidate in history.

rockmom on July 10, 2008 at 4:11 PM

I sent him a little money.

Terrye on July 10, 2008 at 4:12 PM

Carl Cameron says this money can’t be used after the convention because it’s technically still for the primaries. Interesting.

SouthernGent on July 10, 2008 at 4:17 PM

My contribution to McCain will consist only of keeping my expressions of disappointment with him relatively quiet.

You’re welcome.

Hollowpoint on July 10, 2008 at 4:17 PM

This poll from today must have gone down the rabbit hole somewhere along the line…

North Dakota

Screwy….very screwy

Limerick on July 10, 2008 at 4:26 PM

SouthernGent on July 10, 2008 at 4:17 PM

Can he use it before the nomination to set up field offices and get everything ready for the general election, and then the expenses from the nomination on are funded from the publc funds?

The RNC can continue to spend its money all the ways to the election, although it has the dismal fundraising of the House and Senate re-election committees to supplenment, too.

Wethal on July 10, 2008 at 4:27 PM

Not that I’m exactly a stranger to such things…

Gilda on July 10, 2008 at 3:15 PM

You crack me right up, Gilda. You truly do.

Typhoon on July 10, 2008 at 4:28 PM

You’re welcome.
Hollowpoint on July 10, 2008 at 4:17 PM

and I wouldn’t be surprised to see if you are one of the people not so quietly howling in disgust when President Obama does something that f**ks us all over in the next 4 to 8 years.

wise_man on July 10, 2008 at 4:34 PM

bbz123 on July 10, 2008 at 2:56 PM

It’s getting to the point that after he goes under the bus, he’ll have to find a new bus to throw the old bus under!

Big John on July 10, 2008 at 5:25 PM

For those of you that are still B*tching about “amnesty”.

If you think it is more important to have our candidate pander to you than to win the election, you reallyhave no understanding of basic strategy.

I can assure you, you will pay far more in Tax Increases under an Obama Presidency than a small contribution to Senator McCain.

JayHawk

JayHaw Phrenzie on July 10, 2008 at 5:46 PM

amerpundit:

“Don’t be surprised if Obama outraises by a bit. I hope he doesn’t, but don’t set yourself up for disappointment.”

Surely someone here has screenshots of the oh-so-recent headlines screaming that Obama was set to pull in $100 million in June!

I’ve been waiting with baited breath ever since Obama declined public financing — and his cred with the MSM started slip sliding away. Given the hype, anything less than a $100 mil. will make my day. It would be pretty ironic if they were to post Obama’s numbers on a Friday evening, wouldn’t it?

JM Hanes on July 10, 2008 at 5:49 PM

Big John on July 10, 2008 at 5:25 PM

That was classic.

At any rate, the money I could have sent to his campaign instead went to funding local hospitals that are forced to treat illegals for free.

Better luck next time, Maverick.

knob on July 10, 2008 at 5:52 PM

knob on July 10, 2008 at 5:52 PM

Better save your money to pay for the Obama tax increase.

You will need it.

JayHaw Phrenzie on July 10, 2008 at 5:54 PM

Obama’s fund raising levels will soon have him flipping and now embracing ‘public funding’.

GarandFan on July 10, 2008 at 6:02 PM

Quit being children and try to play to win. Anyone that prefers Obama to McCain has no business calling themselves a Republican or Conservative. JayHawk JayHaw Phrenzie on July 10, 2008 at 5:46 PM

They seem to be a little bit quieter on this site than usual.

wise_man on July 10, 2008 at 6:32 PM

JayHaw Phrenzie on July 10, 2008 at 5:46 PM

Give this man points for smart man of the day…er, election season.

bikermailman on July 10, 2008 at 6:43 PM

highhopes on July 10, 2008 at 3:30 PM

That’s not true. He was in Mexico last week. He must have picked up a bushel of cash from future voters..what’s the exchange rate of pesos right now?

They seem to be a little bit quieter on this site than usual.

wise_man on July 10, 2008 at 6:32 PM

Yes, I’ve been quiet. I’ve been doing this thing called ‘working’. It’s what I have to do to pay for $4.15/gallon gas that Mccain doesn’t give a f*ck about and try to keep my small car based business alive in this imaginary bad economy that nevertheless keeps my customers from wanting to spend any money. Their problems must be imaginary too. Maybe if I cue up some John Lennon, someone will spend some money and I can pay my bills. And I will contribute something to McCain’s campaign; 2 things: jack and sh*t. I told the GOP after the attempted amnesty screwing that they won’t see a dime out of me until John McCAin and Lindsey Grahamnesty are out of office. So whizz-man, since you’re so dedicated to the cause, you can put a few shekels in for me, ok?

JayHaw Phrenzie on July 10, 2008 at 5:46 PM

You know what that sounds like? The old protection racket. Yeah, things can get awful ugly in this neighborhood after dark..you’d be a lot safer if you paid for some ‘insurance’. I don’t think Backdoor John needs any cash from me. La Raza must have floated a big pot of cash for him to hire Juan Hernandez, even after he took a bath on the amnesty bill. Let him draw money from that. Call it contributions from future voters. I’m sure some greasebag lawyer will say it’s legal too.

I thought this was an opinion site. What is all this money grubbing? Why not just put a paypal link in the thread and ban anyone that doesn’t click it? Good grief.

austinnelly on July 10, 2008 at 11:57 PM

I got 2 survey letters this week from the Repubs in DC. Not sure which one came to my home and which one was sent to my business address. BOTH were filled out and sent back with zero dollars and the handwritten message in the section asking for my credit card data, that UNTIL they quit supporting RINOS for re-election, I will contribute myself directly to real conservatives running on the Republican ticket. I followed that up this month so far and have contributed to the R running against McDermot, Murtha, and Kerry. I also sent some money to a vet on the ballot in NC I think. I live in a very safe conervative district in Western MI, so my local candidate doesn’t need my money. I want to spend it where it might make a difference.

One sure winner for a McCain victory this fall will be to run against the idea of Obama’s plan for socialized health care for all “Americans”. The 47 million that Obama includes in that number include 12 million plus who are illegal aliens.

We need some 527s to pop up and run those ads asking people if they want to stand in line BEHIND the illegal aliens in their community before they can get medical care.

By the way, Michigan could possibly go purple, and maybe red this election cycle. Both candidates are running ads, all the time on all the channels.

karenhasfreedom on July 11, 2008 at 2:19 AM

You talking about McCain or Obama?

Yuk Yuk !!!

jake-the-goose on July 10, 2008 at 3:09 PM

Jake– bite me. Maybe you really prefer the Marxist.

leftnomore on July 12, 2008 at 2:57 AM