Jesse to make it a 3-way race?

posted at 1:00 pm on July 9, 2008 by Ed Morrissey

Get ready for more Minnesota madness.  Six years after last making the state a national laughingstock as governor, Jesse Ventura may enter the race for US Senate.  Jake Tapper at ABC News reports on an interview the former wrestler gave at NPR, along with an immediate clarification from Ventura  that no one knows what he will do — which is not exactly breaking news:

In an interview with NPR’s David Welna that ran today  former Gov. Jesse “The Body” Ventura, Ind-Minn., sounds like he may run for Senate, challenging incumbent Sen. Norm Coleman, R-Minn., whom Ventura defeated for governor in 1998, as well as Democratic nominee and former Saturday Night Live humorist Al Franken.

Ventura, born Jim Janos, tells Welna that the main reason he would run is because of Coleman’s support for the war in Iraq. “That’s the reason I run,” he says. “I run because it angers me…All you Minnesotans take a good hard look at all three of us. And you decide: if you were in a dark alley which one of the three of us would you want with you?["]

This explains his political career here in Minnesota.  He appeals to the idiots who think that a Senator or a Governor should be able to perform as a bodyguard.  In 1998, he managed to convince 38% of the voters here with this kind of logic, which rightfully had the rest of the nation in stitches.  He then managed to avoid working as much as possible; for a few months, he announced football games for the WWF-affiliated XFL league rather than focus on his elected position as Governor.

Ventura did manage one signal accomplishment: bipartisanship.  By the end of his term, Republicans and Democrats both hated him so much that they began overriding a slew of his vetoes, rendering The Body impotent.  By the time he slunk out of office, he couldn’t have been elected dog-catcher in a one-man race.

Six years later, after years enjoying the Mexican coastline, Ventura wants back — or does he?

Ventura told The Associated Press he had been speaking hypothetically to NPR, that in responding to Welna’s question about why he would run, “I gave him the reasons why I would run. But I said ultimately, it will come down to whether I want to change my lifestyle and go to that lifestyle or not.” Reports the AP: “Ventura says bluntly that no one knows whether he will run — not even his wife. He says the decision won’t be made until next Tuesday, the filing deadline.”

It sounds like a publicity stunt more than a real attempt to get back into politics.  If he did jump into the race, though, the real impact would be to hurt Al Franken’s chances even more than Franken has.  Ventura would probably gain the most traction among younger voters, a demographic that Franken needs desperately.  In a three-way race, Franken might beat Ventura, but both would lose handily to Norm Coleman.  Maybe the biggest winners in that scenario would be Minnesotans.  (via True North)

Comments

Is Jesse clinging to the last remnants of his hair in that pic? Dude. Shave it. Give it up. Game over.

lorien1973 on July 9, 2008 at 1:02 PM

I was reading about this earlier. I feel sorry for those in Minnesota right now. But it is almost like a bad Joke.

So there is a Racist and a Truther running for the U.S. Senate…..

I am just waiting for the punchline!

upinak on July 9, 2008 at 1:04 PM

Whoa..that pic is scary!

becki51758 on July 9, 2008 at 1:04 PM

Jesse keeps getting weirder, but Kinky Friedman is still cool.

flipflop on July 9, 2008 at 1:04 PM

Is he a crackhead now?

LimeyGeek on July 9, 2008 at 1:06 PM

politics in America, circus maximus

kirkill on July 9, 2008 at 1:06 PM

idiots

custer on July 9, 2008 at 1:06 PM

So there is a Racist and a Truther running for the U.S. Senate…..

I am just waiting for the punchline!

upinak on July 9, 2008 at 1:04 PM

James Lileks could provide a good one, and he’d be a great Senator!

kirkill on July 9, 2008 at 1:07 PM

HAHHAHA
I am sooooo sorry Ed.

All we have is a well tanned, sexually ambiguous governor.

An over-botoxed dem senator

A slighlty kooky Cuban-born McCain Acolyte Rep Senator

A representative who looks like he should be in middle school (Putnam)

and an over makeuped representative who wholly embarrased the state in 2000 by making an ass of herself on national television as Secretary of State.

So it is not that bad in your hood Ed.

Squid Shark on July 9, 2008 at 1:09 PM

I don’t know…

What many in both partys don’t understand is the absolute total disgust that many of us have with BOTH partys, and the entrenched Congress.

Being an incumbent in a Congress with a 9% approval rating should say about all anyone has to say.

Ventura is a whack job… but better a whack job then what we currently have in Congress… at least he’d be incompetent and fun to watch, instead of just incompetent.

Romeo13 on July 9, 2008 at 1:09 PM

Skullet

vinman on July 9, 2008 at 1:12 PM

lorien1973 on July 9, 2008 at 1:02 PM

maybe he thinks he is the next messiah?

upinak on July 9, 2008 at 1:12 PM

A circus indeed. Congratulations on your re-election, Sen. Coleman.

CP on July 9, 2008 at 1:14 PM

Romeo13 on July 9, 2008 at 1:09 PM

Wanna do bets? I bet he would body slame Pelosi and Reid!

upinak on July 9, 2008 at 1:14 PM

Given the sorry, even disgusting records of both the Democrats and the so-called Republicans in Congress, anyone who is hated by both parties can’t be all bad. Jesse didn’t screw up things any worse than the bozos in Washington.

Diane C. Russell on July 9, 2008 at 1:15 PM

Skullet

vinman on July 9, 2008 at 1:12 PM

That cracked me right on up.

Typhoon on July 9, 2008 at 1:16 PM

At least Minnesotans will get a good laugh after that hard look.

Dusty on July 9, 2008 at 1:19 PM

After seeing his picture for this post and this quote from the above article,

When “The Body” says “lifestyle” does he mean actually in fact that he does not want to change his HYGIENE?

Branch Rickey on July 9, 2008 at 1:19 PM

Diane C. Russell on July 9, 2008 at 1:15 PM

Dude is a truther, that makes him even worse than the Shortbus All-Stars that inhabit DC now. End of discussion.

doubleplusundead on July 9, 2008 at 1:23 PM

Uh… Does Jesse think that his freaky Manson-lookin’ face would be the obvious answer to this rhetorical question?

SteakRules on July 9, 2008 at 1:23 PM

Good to see Larry Finkelstein running for Senate.

Dr.Cwac.Cwac on July 9, 2008 at 1:30 PM

I must be in the minority of the Jesse responders…. I hate that poor excuse of a man. He’s not worth the spit on the ground.He makes a mockery of anything deserved or undeserved. He speaks worse than a hiphop thug and is a poor excuse of a leader in any venue.( sarc on) Other wise, I guess he’s okay ( sarc off)

MNDavenotPC on July 9, 2008 at 1:32 PM

Minnesota madness

Isn’t that like saying “wet water”

Hening on July 9, 2008 at 1:34 PM

Zombie Ventura? I think a “brains” caption would fit that picture just fine.

DrSteve on July 9, 2008 at 1:36 PM

Still better than any of the other choices. The truther thing was annoying, but too much skepticism of government is still better than none or blind allegiance.

Does anyone see the irony in this, given the current state of the Republican Party?

LevStrauss on July 9, 2008 at 1:36 PM

MNDavenotPC on July 9, 2008 at 1:32 PM

I dunno. I remember he was giving a speech in MN one time and some lady yelled at him that MN should pay for her to go to college. He yelled back that she should pay her own way and stop expecting people to live off of others. I thought that was pretty cool of him. Not many pols would have done that.

Truther or not; given the choice between Franken and Ventura. I’d pick Ventura any day. Let him sit there and vote no on everything. Works for me.

lorien1973 on July 9, 2008 at 1:37 PM

lorien

I remember that very well and , I’ll concede that episode to you. I just was embarrassed by the way he acted like such a tool. I take my politics seriously… I know, I know… get a life…lol

MNDavenotPC on July 9, 2008 at 1:40 PM

Note to self: Never against take LSD and look at a picture of Ventura looking like he just crawled out of a dumpster after a month long bender.

OMG MAKE IT STOP!

RobertInAustin on July 9, 2008 at 1:41 PM

Jesse still thinks he can win stuff? He got schooled in a debate on radio by Jim Norton, he’s become a huge Truther and has the same way of debate, I’m right because what I said is right.

Rbastid on July 9, 2008 at 1:41 PM

Good to see Larry Finkelstein running for Senate.

Dr.Cwac.Cwac on July 9, 2008 at 1:30 PM

About to pass out from laughter here. That is awesome!

Branch Rickey on July 9, 2008 at 1:43 PM

Looks like California is not the only mad state in the union.

mram on July 9, 2008 at 1:44 PM

If it happens, I want a debate between Ventura and Franken over whether 9/11 was an inside job. That should be a riot.

MadisonConservative on July 9, 2008 at 1:44 PM

Ventura looks just like John Travolta’s character in that awful sci-fi movie, “Battlefield Earth.”

Wethal on July 9, 2008 at 1:46 PM

I am so very grateful I do not live in Minnesota.

Nor do I plan on even visiting the state anytime in the near or far distant future.

pilamaye on July 9, 2008 at 1:53 PM

He’s got the Fu Manchu Fan Club vote locked up.

viking01 on July 9, 2008 at 1:54 PM

I’m proud to say that here in Georgia we elected a governor who is a licensed veterinarian. See, we like our chief executives to have some useful background; verbally sparring with Gorilla Monsoon hardly qualifies as “useful.”

By the way, Ed, you’re from MN, tell me if my memory is hazy. I seem to recall that Ventura got elected governor basically becuse your state decided–unwisely–to actively solicit young people to register by setting up voter registration booths outside rock concerts and the like. Is that correct? I always figure you don’t want to make it too easy for young people to register, because if you do you’ll get a lot of stoners in the voting booth who will do things like… like… well, like vote for Jesse Ventura.

radjah shelduck on July 9, 2008 at 1:57 PM

OMG MAKE IT STOP!
RobertInAustin
on July 9, 2008 at 1:41 PM

*Checks out the photo again*

…. *Gak!* …. Looks like I picked the wrong week to quit sniffing glue.

wise_man on July 9, 2008 at 2:00 PM

Wethal on July 9, 2008 at 1:46 PM

Oh my God he does!

wise_man on July 9, 2008 at 2:05 PM

Wethal on July 9, 2008 at 1:46 PM

Well now. That should lock up the LRH voting bloc.

Dr.Cwac.Cwac on July 9, 2008 at 2:11 PM

Every time I see Jesse lately I think “Shampoo? I don’t need no stinkin’ shampoo!”

eeyore on July 9, 2008 at 2:13 PM

God, what an insufferable ‘roided-up dork Ventura is.

thirteen28 on July 9, 2008 at 2:15 PM

MNDavenotPC on July 9, 2008 at 1:32 PM

Which means he will fit right in with the current Congress!

Romeo13 on July 9, 2008 at 2:22 PM

This isn’t the same Jesse I knew once!

byteshredder on July 9, 2008 at 2:40 PM

Six years after last making the state a national laughingstock as governor

I think the responsibility for that belongs with the people that voted for him.
He’s a frickin ex-pro-wrestler for crying out loud.

SouthernDem on July 9, 2008 at 2:41 PM

So it is not that bad in your hood Ed.

Squid Shark on July 9, 2008 at 1:09 PM

I liked that side profile photo-op of her riding the horse. Silver lining in every cloud, but I’ll admit the thrill wore off in about 20 seconds.

a capella on July 9, 2008 at 2:43 PM

Let the Body run, taking lessons from Ross Perot! The only sane man in the race (Coleman) wouldn’t even need a majority to win.

Senator Coleman did a bang-up job chairing the Senate subcommittee investigating the Oil-for-FoodPalaces scandal in Iraq. For that alone he deserves re-election.

Steve Z on July 9, 2008 at 2:49 PM

Oh I hope he runs, he would take much of the star-struck vote away from Franken.

And I certainly wouldn’t want him with me in a dark alley. He would either turn on me or encourage the attacker to both of us.

Grafted on July 9, 2008 at 3:04 PM

You’re headline should actually read:

Jesse makes it a triple threat match.

Pcoop on July 9, 2008 at 3:05 PM

radjah

that is exactly what happened. I was an election judge supervisor then and the pinhead under 20 grunge crowd, along with the ACORN pushed illegals worked us to near death. We knew what was going to happen… a winner with no majority… Jesse

MNDavenotPC on July 9, 2008 at 3:07 PM

Skullet

vinman on July 9, 2008 at 1:12 PM

LMAO…yep at this point Hair Club for Men can’t do anything for him and the “skullett” as you so aptly labeled it looks ridiculous especially with that dirt under his bottom lip!

Ugly and ignorant morons the lot of them and they’re dragging MN down the toilet with them..good luck MN!

Liberty or Death on July 9, 2008 at 3:24 PM

Oh Ed you are a bad, bad boy.

“3-way” in your headline and “Kinky” in the photo. Subliminal?

Brat on July 9, 2008 at 4:23 PM

radjah shelduck on July 9, 2008 at 1:57 PM

I don’t remember anything about that, but there’s no requirement to pre-register in MN; you can register at the polling site on election day.

The sad part is that the verification process if very lax- you can even have a registered voter vouch for you without any kind of identification whatsoever.

In 2004 there was a story on the radio where a Republican observer was kicked out of a polling place for objecting to a group (something like 9) of voters in Duluth (Dem stronghold, right across the border from Wisconsin) who had one other voter “vouch” for them. Some of them couldn’t even provide their (supposed) address yet were allowed to vote.

Hollowpoint on July 9, 2008 at 4:36 PM

sheesh, Jesse looks freaky.

Chakra Hammer on July 9, 2008 at 4:39 PM

I’m thinking that from the “dirty, dirty hippie” (as only Norm McDonald could say it) look and the West Coast Choppers t-shirt I guess he will be pandering to the Ron Paul supporters?

I guess he fancies himself the white Hancock.

RobertInAustin on July 9, 2008 at 4:41 PM

Wow..when did they let Charles Manson out of jail.

Alden Pyle on July 9, 2008 at 4:46 PM

Dear God, is that what he looks like now? What’s with the bald Jesus thing?

rightwingprof on July 9, 2008 at 4:47 PM

So there is a Racist and a Truther running for the U.S. Senate…
upinak on July 9, 2008 at 1:04 PM

“Truther” is such a harsh and pejorative term. They prefer to be refered to as “Retarded-Americans.”

Blacklake on July 9, 2008 at 4:54 PM

Skullet throws his scalp in the race.
Rock on Skullet!

pc on July 9, 2008 at 7:11 PM

politics in America, circus maximus

kirkill on July 9, 2008 at 1:06 PM

Literally, a circus. A clown (Franken), a freak (Ventura), and a barker (Coleman). Poor, sad Minnesota.

Jaibones on July 9, 2008 at 7:12 PM

in the ring, not race. And what’s with Minnesota forfeiting their vote to these pro wrestlers or fairy godfairies? Mountainous terrain so they figure they are bulletproof? Is this how people in Switzerland and Canada pick their leaders. What a bad joke, from Humphrey to Wellstone to Coleman to probably Franken. If Al Franken can become a Senator I expect our stock market might get down to around 8,000. I mean half the country still thinks this is a big joke.

pc on July 9, 2008 at 7:16 PM

I can tell, just by looking at him, that he is going to be a MAJOR factor in this race! The ‘Mind’ is a terrible thing…

AUINSC on July 9, 2008 at 7:50 PM

“…Ventura, born Jim Janos, tells Welna that the main reason he would run is because of Coleman’s support for the war in Iraq. “That’s the reason I run,” he says. “I run because it angers me…”

Only the frogs and the crickets understand your anger, Jesse…!
I’m liv’n damn near the Minnesota border. I might be able to pull a Chicago type night mission in your bailiwick…!

HOOaaAH…!

J_Gocht on July 9, 2008 at 8:13 PM

Sure, why not make it 4. Throw Nader in there too.

johnnyU on July 9, 2008 at 9:13 PM

Umm,Jesse looks like the Sci-fi character in
which John Travolta played the alien in the
scientology movie!

canopfor on July 9, 2008 at 9:45 PM

His anger (not to mention his looks) comes from many years of steroid abuse. His chickens are really coming home to roost.

R D on July 9, 2008 at 9:47 PM

I voted for Jesse Ventura in 1998. It was a mistake in hindsight, I was a stupid college kid.

Well, that and Norm and Skip didn’t put up much of a fight. Plus, Jesse got us our Jesse checks!!!

James on July 9, 2008 at 10:06 PM

James on July 9, 2008 at 10:06 PM

Well don’t beat yourself up too bad, I voted for Arnold. But Gray Davis was an idiot. Not much choice here in CA.

R D on July 9, 2008 at 10:42 PM

So tragic. Jesse could’ve had the world in his hop pocket if he had kept a firm grip on reality. He is (or was) a brilliant man. Too bad he had to float off on this wierd “truther” tangent. He’s lost all credibility. Too bad. “He coulda’ been a contender. He coulda’ had class. He coulda been somebody, instead of some bum.” Which is what he is now. Charlie.
So sad. We so desperately need people with his intensity on our side. What a waste. DD

Darvin Dowdy on July 9, 2008 at 11:52 PM

I need to watch Predator once again, and see what this guy used to look like. When he was a hot, buffed-out body god he could indeed swoon a large number of voters. But this apparition couldn’t scare up the undead support.

leftnomore on July 10, 2008 at 2:35 AM

R D on July 9, 2008 at 10:42 PM

Here here! I supported AS too, even donated money for his run. Now look what we got– NO MORE MANLY MEN for office!

leftnomore on July 10, 2008 at 2:37 AM

This makes me want to puke and he’s got a legitimate chance to win!!! So the entire nation can laugh at us some more!! My husband and I just got into a heated argument the other night about this because he’s gonna vote for him if he runs. Why? Because – “he’ll shake things up!” My husband cannot name one thing that Jesse believes in or stands for. For example, I’m appalled at the “truther” thing. No truthers should be elected officials in my book. But that doesn’t matter to my husband – he doesn’t know and he doesn’t care. Immigration, national defense, economic issues – where does Ventura stand? Doesn’t know and doesn’t care. Now, my husband isn’t a bad guy or a dumb guy. Do you have any idea how many people are out there just like my husband? In this state – a lot.

Hey – change is fine. But people should make sure they know what they are getting before they change. And if this state cannot remember all the idiotic, dysfunctional crap that happened under the Ventura administration, then shame on us!

srl214 on July 10, 2008 at 7:29 AM

I’m not a Ventura fan. I think he’s an idiot! But…it might be great fun to send him to the United States Senate and watch that body of do nothing nincompoops deal with him on a daily basis! Is he really that much worse than Norm or Al? I don’t think so…sigh…

sabbott on July 10, 2008 at 8:00 AM

Well, I guess Jesse is comfortable in politics seeing as how it is so much like pro wrestling.
I was just watching Hillary planting a big one on Obama’s backside. A few months ago they were accusing each other of being the anti-Christ. Just like wrestling, when it’s all over, Hill and Barry can slap each other on the back and say “Well, we fooled’em again.”

abcurtis on July 10, 2008 at 9:00 AM

Jesse to make it a 3-way race?

Give it up Jesse. Turn yourself in for recycling. Your brand of politics have been ditched long ago.

byteshredder on July 10, 2008 at 12:14 PM