Are they blue? Well, they’re seeing red now

posted at 5:45 pm on July 8, 2008 by Ed Morrissey

Has Barack Obama resolved the hard feelings between Hillary Clinton supporters and his campaign yet?  Not if Marie Cocco gives us any indication.  Cocco detects a patronizing pattern in the way Obama addresses women and their issues.  His waffling on abortion revealed more of the tone that angered women in the primaries and helped drive a gender wedge between Democrats, and it doesn’t appear to be improving:

Somewhere along Barack Obama’s winding road through the red states, he lost me. It happened when he talked about women who are “feeling blue.”

Obama says that these women should not be able to obtain a late-term abortion, because just “feeling blue” isn’t the same as suffering “serious clinical mental health diseases.” True enough. And totally infuriating. …

One thing is certain: Obama has backhandedly given credibility to the right-wing narrative that women who have abortions — even those who go through the physically and mentally wrenching experience of a late-term abortion — are frivolous and selfish creatures who might perhaps undergo this ordeal because they are “feeling blue.”

Cocco notes that this isn’t the first time Obama has trivialized women in his campaign.  He told reporters in Detroit that Hillary Clinton would attack him when she felt “down” in order to brighten her day.  Obama notoriously dismissed a female reporter with the endearment “sweetie” and refused to answer her question.   Last month, Obama told women in the Congressional Black Caucus to “get over it” (the primaries) and said he didn’t have the time to address the bruised feelings of Democratic women.

Obama is finding out how difficult it is to navigate through the shoals of identity politics.  His foray into the evangelical community gave him yet another opportunity to stumble on a flip-flop, this time on abortion, about the worst possible topic to garble when attempting to unite Democratic women.   Cocco doesn’t buy his clarification, but worse than his vacillation is the contemptuous tone Obama takes when discussing the issue.

If Obama can’t do any better than this, he will find himself short on enthusiasm in Denver and beyond.  Democratic women have already made clear that he needs to mend his ways if he expects their support.  If he can’t be bothered, many of them won’t be bothered to support him in November.

Comments

I LOVE IT. I finally agree with the FemiNazis.

HawaiiLwyr on July 8, 2008 at 5:48 PM

This is only the start of the microscope and math analysis of Barry O.
I don’t think he can handle close scrutiny on any level, and he just does not add up.

bbz123 on July 8, 2008 at 5:50 PM

It certainly seems to be a pattern. I wonder if he learned this patronizing attitude at Wright’s church.

Buford Gooch on July 8, 2008 at 5:52 PM

Didn’t he also say Clinton would take out the “claws” and that stirred controversy?

amerpundit on July 8, 2008 at 5:53 PM

Men that do not understand women are common. I am not going to worry about a slip up here and there.

Men who don’t learn from their mistakes makes me run like hell, because they usually have more problems then they would like to address.

I think Obama’s grandma should have taken him over her knee and swatted a few times myself. But that would be typical of me, wouldn’t it!

upinak on July 8, 2008 at 6:00 PM

all the morphing and shape-shifting that he does its surprising that he doesn’t irritate more people.

Obama the changeling..

Who is Barack Obama. ?

Chakra Hammer on July 8, 2008 at 6:01 PM

When are people going to realize that issues are just distractions that do not help Michelle’s kids?

Les in NC on July 8, 2008 at 6:02 PM

can’t they just get over it?

billypaintbrush on July 8, 2008 at 6:02 PM

Does this mean that the NAG’s are about to be thrown under the bus?

Dingbat63 on July 8, 2008 at 6:05 PM

This just points up how woefully inexperienced Obama is. Many other senior Democrats are just as misogynistic as Obama (*cough* Chris Dodd, Ted Kennedy *cough*), but they know the right code words to use around women. Obama hasn’t even been around long enough to learn the politically correct Democratic dictionary.

rockmom on July 8, 2008 at 6:05 PM

It seems bho would be more than happy to have women tag along ten paces behind him. He is not a ‘sensitive’ man when it comes to women from his statements. Us good old gals don’t appreciate him.
L

letget on July 8, 2008 at 6:05 PM

He’s an elitist, empty lurch, no different than Kerry, just different racial mix and worse wife.

Entelechy on July 8, 2008 at 6:07 PM

Tribal Black African culture rears its macho head, or is it Muslim culture? Either way, that apple didn’t fall far from the African tree.

Does he have any sons or all daughters?

Hening on July 8, 2008 at 6:08 PM

Re: “I think Obama’s grandma should have taken him over her knee and swatted a few times myself.”
Tsk, Tsk, that would be child abuse by today’s standards. Plus, Granny is under the bus.

Dingbat63 on July 8, 2008 at 6:08 PM

Dingbat63 on July 8, 2008 at 6:08 PM

Oh BLAH!

Who in here never got a swatt on the backside?

It isn’t child abuse, I call it putting in the Fear of God and Common Sense! Age depending of course.

upinak on July 8, 2008 at 6:14 PM

Did Barack Obama really say,

“I Don’t Trust Anything That Bleeds for Five Days and Doesn’t Die!”

Seven Percent Solution on July 8, 2008 at 6:14 PM

We can only hope Barry’s relationship with women voters through election day resembles nothing so much as a four month long bout of PMS.

cool breeze on July 8, 2008 at 6:22 PM

Just say NObama!

Mojave Mark on July 8, 2008 at 6:23 PM

Denver! Denver! Denver!

GarandFan on July 8, 2008 at 6:24 PM

Oh boy,I can see the Femenazi’s at the DNConvention
barking out orders in their protest against Obama,
“Ladies,remove your bra’s and prepare to burn them”!

Obama’s going to find out the meaning,a woman scorned!

And,where is Omama,Michelle on this besmirchment of
respecting women!

Why is Obama trying to piss off the woman’s vote,and
why did Obama throw the women in his life under da bus!

And,is this the UNITY that Liberal’s are HOPEING for! haha.

canopfor on July 8, 2008 at 6:30 PM

upinak: Please….you had to note the sarcasm (yet truth) of my remark. My 66 yr ole behind has been torn up (deservedly) many a time and I have torn up some behinds when they deserved it. But, alas, do that in a grocery store (as I have done) today and you’ll be meeting a nice LEO.

Dingbat63 on July 8, 2008 at 6:30 PM

Live by identity politics, die by identity politics.

Did anybody hear Rush call Obama’s plane “Ft. Marcy Airlines” when it had a mechanical problem? That’s ptty funny, but wouldn’t be if it came to pass.

Tony737 on July 8, 2008 at 6:31 PM

Certainly you jest as it is a well established fact that liberals are lemmings. Best check your history before making such an absurd claim.

DannoJyd on July 8, 2008 at 6:38 PM

Men that do not It’s not possible to understand women are common.
upinak on July 8, 2008 at 6:00 PM

Fixed.

Hollowpoint on July 8, 2008 at 6:40 PM

Here’s a Great Seal of Obama specially for Hillary supporters like Marie Cocco. (mild language content warning)

Gilda on July 8, 2008 at 6:44 PM

Gilda on July 8, 2008 at 6:44 PM

You made me spit tea all over my monitor with the “Obama Seal.”

Good job, hon!

/s

MrScribbler on July 8, 2008 at 6:52 PM

Well,here’s a vid,Woman For Obama,
SF Fundraising Speech!

My oh my,what a difference a year makes!

canopfor on July 8, 2008 at 6:58 PM

Yeah, but where do they go…maybe Tammy Bruce can show them the way.
There was not a more adamant democrat then Tammy, and still carries many of those values with her. And no doubt a feminist…show them the way Tammy, show them the light.

right2bright on July 8, 2008 at 6:59 PM

Good job, hon!

/s

MrScribbler on July 8, 2008 at 6:52 PM

Now that made me laugh out loud. Thanks, sweetie! :D

Gilda on July 8, 2008 at 7:00 PM

Dingbat63 on July 8, 2008 at 6:30 PM

LOL I promise not to tear up your behind. Obama on the other hand should have gotten WHOOPED!

Hollowpoint on July 8, 2008 at 6:40 PM

upinak on July 8, 2008 at 7:03 PM

Great Seal of Obama

Gilda on July 8,2008 at 6:44PM.

Gilda: Nice job! Hey, is there anyway in your expertise that
you can photoshop a women’s protest march,a la the
Femenazi’s!

And there marching with slogans on the signs
against Obama,just an idea?haha.

canopfor on July 8, 2008 at 7:06 PM

Terrific,youtube link.

Says,The video you have requested
is not available,typical!

canopfor on July 8, 2008 at 7:10 PM

canopfor on July 8, 2008 at 7:06 PM

Interesting idea. Hmmm. That could be good, could be very good. Let me look around and see if I can find something suitable.

Or should that be… pantsuitable?

(Groan. Sorry. Couldn’t resist.)

Gilda on July 8, 2008 at 7:15 PM

Gilda on July 8, 2008 at 7:15 PM

Ewwwwww, is it purple and polyester with a huge 5 inch wide label belt and pleated in the butt?

upinak on July 8, 2008 at 7:18 PM

Sensitivity training. And now!

whitetop on July 8, 2008 at 7:19 PM

Interesting idea
Gilda on July 8,2008 at 7:15PM.

Gilda:So excellent,one more idea,Miss America Pageant,
Obama as host,all the contestants are Burka equiped!

And use Rush’s line overhead Obama.

“The way things otta be! or sumpin like dat!haha:)

canopfor on July 8, 2008 at 7:20 PM

Gilda on July 8, 2008 at 6:44 PM

Okay, that is really, really good…That should go viral.

right2bright on July 8, 2008 at 7:24 PM

Re Upinak: “HEY, I am an uncomplicated (sorta) woman. Give me Fishing Gear, Bow Hunting Equipment and some nice rifles and pistols and I am a happy camper! Screw the Diamonds, I want AMMO!”

Oh, now I understand: you cling to your guns You’re my hero!

Dingbat63 on July 8, 2008 at 7:42 PM

upinak on July 8, 2008 at 7:18 PM

Haha! Hadn’t thought of that, exactly, but now that you mention it…

Gilda on July 8, 2008 at 7:45 PM

Most of the Dem women have/had problems long before Obama called them sweetie. These kind of articles are “mail ins”. There’s a deadline and I have a column to write. Hmmm.

Let’s not forget that these Dem “women” voted for Bill Clinton twice and for the most part support Hillary which brings back the lecher.

Let me see if I got this right, Marie. You have previously supported a serial adulterer, considered my most a clinical misogynist, and not to be outdone, accused of rape on national TV–luckily the statute of limitations had run out as NOW gleefully reported at the time. We have not even got to his abuse of station in the workplace by having his way with an intern.

Having said all that, while leaving much on the cutting floor, I’m now supposed to help you get your pantie’s out of a bunch because Obama told you something along the lines of “get over it” on a non related matter?

Tip of the day Marie. Work on your situational ethics. To use the parlance of Obama’s old neighborhood, you’re nothing but a political ho!

patrick neid on July 8, 2008 at 7:55 PM

Ah yes, we women are a tempermental species. I shot him, I shot him twice…but I feel better now.

I was a little blue. Down in the dumps. Must be the curse. My time of the month. And then of course there is that whole change of life thing and the hot flashes…

Terrye on July 8, 2008 at 8:17 PM

Does he have any sons or all daughters?

Hening on July 8, 2008 at 6:08 PM

Screw off.

baldilocks on July 8, 2008 at 8:21 PM

Yep, Obama is real misogynist for sure. I bet he even calls his wife a c$%# when she sasses him. Oh no…wait, that was McShame.

DanKenton on July 8, 2008 at 8:52 PM

In the vein of an old (long) movie title:

Who Is Barack Obama And Why Is He Saying Those Terrible Things About Me?

Popcorn extra.

profitsbeard on July 8, 2008 at 9:29 PM

like father (and step-father), like son.

if you read “dreams” or know his family history, you should know what i mean.

i figure that he’s probably totally whipped at home by michelle and therefore takes it out on other women around him.

homesickamerican on July 9, 2008 at 1:00 AM

baldilocks on July 8, 2008 at 8:21 PM

I was gonna say something similar, but much less polite.

soundingboard on July 9, 2008 at 1:20 AM

baldilocks on July 8, 2008 at 8:21 PM

Thanks for catching that one. Screw off, indeed.

There seems to be some “testing of the waters” going on here lately, either by genuine bigots or Mobys seeking to discredit prominent right-leaning sites – doesn’t matter which, they’re functionally identical.

Vigilance is in order. Interesting that the vilest remarks tend to come from the self-described True Conservatives™, although their behavior clearly indicates that they are neither.

Gilda on July 9, 2008 at 2:32 AM

Can anybody tell me why socialist democrats are so intent on killing the defenseless? I thought they were for the “little” guy.

abcurtis on July 9, 2008 at 10:14 AM

Finding it difficult? Are you kidding me? Are you even paying attention? In case you haven’t noticed, Obama has pulled way, way ahead. It doesn’t seem to me that he’s having any trouble convincing people to forego common sense and support him.

JohnJ on July 9, 2008 at 1:20 PM

As my Grandpa use to say… “It’s not what you say but how you say it.” He also like to say “Numbers don’t lie… people do!” Those 2 sayings describe politicians very well… particularly Dumocrats.

vulcannomad on July 9, 2008 at 11:01 PM