Video: More from the largest re-up ceremony

posted at 7:31 pm on July 6, 2008 by Ed Morrissey

Via Greyhawk, let’s give more mothers and fathers a chance to see sons and daughters extend their service to our nation while celebrating our Independence Day.  Earlier, we posted the two-minute clip, but why not end our holiday weekend with a more complete celebration of American service and spirit?

Comments

This is what I call celebrating our country’s independence: doing something meaningful rather than thinking of another quirky bumper sticker slogan.

Send_Me on July 6, 2008 at 7:40 PM

Gotta say I like the way ya do things. That had class and style written all over it.

I was just handed a stack of paperwork to complete when I re-signed 13 years ago and again 6 months ago.

Jim708 on July 6, 2008 at 7:55 PM

God bless America

Land of the free, home of the brave

Protector of nations

BobH on July 6, 2008 at 8:05 PM

Awesome. I watched every minute. Thanks for posting.

God Bless America and God Bless Our Troops.

atxcowgirl on July 6, 2008 at 8:10 PM

Protector of nations

BobH on July 6, 2008 at 8:05 PM

The Paulnutz might take issue with that statement.

Just sayin’…

Et tu Brute on July 6, 2008 at 8:11 PM

My chesting is thumping so loudly. I cannot be more proud.

SouthernGent on July 6, 2008 at 8:13 PM

FREEDOM! it’s a beautiful thing. Thank you all!

kahall on July 6, 2008 at 8:14 PM

OMG!! They opened with a prayer!! Call the ACLU someone was no doubt oppressed by this obvious merging of government and religion.

DerKrieger on July 6, 2008 at 8:27 PM

Nice!!
Thanks HA, great way to end the weekend :salute:

trailortrash on July 6, 2008 at 8:31 PM

Forcing young men and women to re-enlist so they can make a propaganda film is the worst kind of harsh treatment.

What’s that? They WANTED to re-enlist because they love what they are doing, and they love their country?

Oh, never mind.

originalpechanga on July 6, 2008 at 8:38 PM

Great show!!

maverick muse on July 6, 2008 at 8:49 PM

To commemorate these fine young men and women, I propose that the Democrat Congress walk around with bags on their heads until election day. Preferably plastic.

The entire Democrat Congress plus their absolute joke of a Presidential candidate, is not worthy of such people. If the Democrats had an ounce of self-realization or shame, the entire lot of them would resign today and voluntarily give up their citizenship.

NoDonkey on July 6, 2008 at 9:00 PM

You the man, Ed.

Professor Blather on July 6, 2008 at 9:29 PM

No greater love…

Omg! I love these guys!

Rightwingsparkle on July 6, 2008 at 9:40 PM

Thank-you Captain Ed,for re-up ceremony video’s;

I have to admit,hearing the drums,and the Colour Guard,
brought me back to the Parade floor as a young Navy League
Petty Officer!

The opening music,that lead into The Star Spangled Banner,
and followed by prayer,was, as it should be!

And I love the speakers opening words;

“Coalition partners,and other distinguished guests,and most
importantly our Soldiers,Sailors,Airmen,Marines,thank-you
so much for joining us celebrating our nations two hundred
and thirty two year birthday”.

“I normally begin with a Hoo Aaw,and thats not to ignite
the crowd,but it is for me to draw energy from you”

“Can I get a loud and thunderous Freedom,chandeliers are
still up.”

That was awesome—————————————:)

*If I botched the spelling of Hoo Aaw,someone let me know?

canopfor on July 6, 2008 at 9:53 PM

originalpechanga on July 6, 2008 at 8:38 PM

LOL! I never, ever, even considered the claim of propoganda angle and I’m about as cynical as you can get about this stuff and that one passed me by- well done!

highhopes on July 6, 2008 at 9:55 PM

OMG!! They opened with a prayer!!

Counselers are in route to deal with the aftermath.

Nevermind that the very document at the center of this weekend’s celebrations talks about rights “endowed by their Creator” not rights endowed by an evolutionary process.

highhopes on July 6, 2008 at 9:58 PM

Excellent! Thanks, Ed. And God bless our fighting men and women.

Nichevo on July 6, 2008 at 10:34 PM

God Bless America.

I question applaud the timing.

hillbillyjim on July 6, 2008 at 10:44 PM

OMG that was fantastic Ed!

Thank you very much!!

I just finished watching the 8 pt series of John Adams produced by HBO that I purchased as DVD. This was a perfect end to this Independence weekend.

If you’ve not seen the John Adams series, I HIGHLY RECOMMEND IT. I don’t believe I’ve seen any other depiction of the events and people who brought us through our Revolution so accurately portrayed. A good lesson learned… if it hadn’t been for John Adams, we wouldn’t be here.

Texas Gal on July 6, 2008 at 11:37 PM

How come none of this appears on the nightly news?

he said knowingly, nudge nudge, wink wink

Kini on July 7, 2008 at 12:23 AM

Thanks, Captain,

Our wonderful “Knights in Shining Armor” doing the job and making me have to bring out another box of tissues.

Thank you, Troops for keeping us safe and bringing a better life to the Iraqis.

God bless you all.

YankeeinCA on July 7, 2008 at 1:07 AM

Tears in my eyes………… again.

Please join me in sending this thread to every MSM you can think of……… I guess I missed it if it was already done.

……. and for those who won’t be coming back, I am reminded of a former post.

…………. Remember Me.

….. thank you all for my FREEDOM!!!!!!

Seven Percent Solution on July 7, 2008 at 2:00 AM

Oh Goodness Graciousness…..

Seven Percent Solution on July 7, 2008 at 2:38 AM

I never had a doubt who the Real Men and Women of America are.

The Real RockStars.

Press on, Youngsters. The War is soon to be won. By you all. God Bless Each and Every ONE of You!

Subsunk

Subsunk on July 7, 2008 at 3:06 AM

Half of our population do (does?) not deserve these fine young men and women.

God bless ‘em all.

Tony737 on July 7, 2008 at 5:27 AM

Talk about a fool doin’ what a fool does…!

I actually re-uped in August 1963 while deployed in Quang Nhai, Provence/Son Ha District with A232.

Too soon olde, too late smart…!

J_Gocht on July 7, 2008 at 9:49 AM

Thanks, Ed!

As I was watching this, the phrase, “Willful suspension of disbelief” kept running through my head. How could any politician, let alone a fellow countryman, say such a thing?

I am proud to live in country where freedom is the guideline for all. I am proud to live in country where volunteers, citizen soldiers, have chosen the noble profession of serving as defenders of that freedom. I am proud to live in a country where these noble warriors also serve as force for good……bringing food to the hungry, bringing hope to those whom have only known misery and despair, bringing liberty to the oppressed. I am proud to call myself an American.

Thank you, members of the United States Armed Services. Without you, none of this would have been possible.

Dr.Cwac.Cwac on July 7, 2008 at 9:52 AM

Petraeus for President….whenever he is ready! We need this man at the helm of this great country!

Dr.Cwac.Cwac on July 7, 2008 at 10:05 AM

The palette doesn’t get cleansed any more than this.

May God protect each and every one.
Amen.

artlover on July 7, 2008 at 10:19 AM

Thank you for posting these clips. How proud I am of the men and women in our military. These brave souls are worthy of the greatest honors. May God bless them, one and all.

Pat in NC on July 7, 2008 at 11:12 AM

Ahh Damn, I got to see the one video but not the others.

Ed thanks for getting this on! I am looking forward to seeing it later tonight when I have a computer that doesn’t block the whole damn world! :)

upinak on July 7, 2008 at 1:52 PM

They did this SOHHH right…! I have never been made to feel prouder of my own service, but that was just dwarfed by the immense emotion I felt as the Sgt. Maj. and the Commander addressed the troops in that hall. I doubt I’ll ever hear a greater speech or feel more pride as long as I live. Thanks, Ed.

A toast… To the, new, greatest generation and the future leaders of the nation and trainers, mentors, and motivators of defenders yet to come. OORAH…!

Semper Fidelis