Obama: Rest assured, I’m still fully committed to abandoning Iraq

posted at 6:40 pm on July 5, 2008 by Allahpundit

Flip-flop-flip:

“I was a little puzzled by the frenzy that I set off by what I thought was a pretty innocuous statement,” the expected Democratic presidential nominee told reporters flying with him to Missouri from Montana. “I am absolutely committed to ending the war.”…

“What’s important is to understand the difference between strategy and tactics,” he told reporters. “The tactics of how we ensure our troops are safe as we pull out, how we execute the withdrawal, those are things that are all based on facts and conditions. I am not somebody — unlike George Bush — who is willing to ignore facts on the basis of my preconceived notions.”

Noting that “we want to build on” the lessening of violence in Iraq, he added: “It doesn’t change my strategic view that we have to bring our occupation to a close.”…

“I was surprised by how finely calibrated every single word was measured,” Obama said. “I wasn’t saying anything that I hadn’t said before.”

That last bit, feigning shock that people are paying close attention to what the Democratic nominee says about the signature foreign policy issue of the campaign, must be the most precious bit of shinola to escape his lips since his rousing refusal to disown Wright a few weeks before he disowned him. But note the boldfaced part echoing what he said on Thursday about tying withdrawal to Iraq’s stability. The nutroots line over the past two days is the same as Obama’s, that what he said isn’t a jot different from what he’s been saying all along and any assertions to the contrary are McCain camp propaganda. In that case, meet McCain camp propagandist Tom Hayden, fretting at HuffPo over what Obama’s recent comments portend for escalation. Or revisit Michael Crowley’s post at TNR, calling the stability bit “a pretty significant new principle” — and having written this long recent analysis of Obama’s Iraq rhetoric, Crowley would know. Or just compare his new emphasis on stability to the statement on withdrawal at his website, which is not only unqualified but clearly imagines no reason for keeping troops in the country except (a) as a token force to protect U.S. diplomats, and (b) to target Al Qaeda and Al Qaeda only.

Beyond that, are Obama and the left really so naive as to think that vague platitudes about being as careful getting out as we were careless getting in register vividly enough with the public as to save him from the perception now that he’s tacking right? McCain’s been on record for more than two years as saying that the military option is the very last option when dealing with Iran. Even so, if he came out tomorrow in the heat of the campaign and noted that he was “refining his plan” in a way that hinted at greater diplomacy, don’t you think it would be news, his earlier platitude notwithstanding?

Here’s my favorite part, from CNN’s account of today’s comments:

“The belief that we have a national security interest in making sure Iraq is secure, I’ve been saying consistently,” he added. Noting “the worst-case scenarios and the parade of horribles that has been trotted out by John McCain and others about genocide if we left,” he said he has always reserved “the right to protect people from genocide.”

Associated Press, July 20, 2007: “Obama: Don’t stay in Iraq over genocide.”

Democratic presidential hopeful Barack Obama said Thursday the United States cannot use its military to solve humanitarian problems and that preventing a potential genocide in Iraq isn’t a good enough reason to keep U.S. forces there.

“Well, look, if that’s the criteria by which we are making decisions on the deployment of U.S. forces, then by that argument you would have 300,000 troops in the Congo right now — where millions have been slaughtered as a consequence of ethnic strife — which we haven’t done,” Obama said in an interview with The Associated Press…

“Nobody is proposing we leave precipitously. There are still going to be U.S. forces in the region that could intercede, with an international force, on an emergency basis,” Obama said between stops on the first of two days scheduled on the New Hampshire campaign trail. “There’s no doubt there are risks of increased bloodshed in Iraq without a continuing U.S. presence there.”

In this as in so much else, there’s no real difference between him and Hillary. “Precipitously,” of course, means “sooner than 16 months,” the timeline he’s been pitching all along; there’s a hint here that he might suspend withdrawal to deal with an “emergency” (or actually re-invade the country with some phantom international force after an ill-conceived pullout has been completed), but of course Iraq’s not in a state of emergency at the moment — in which case, what gives with the “stability” rhetoric on Thursday? If anything, the fact that things are going well should accelerate his timeline for withdrawal, not make him want to linger to “build on” the security gains. Isn’t he really just embracing the logic — albeit certainly not the time horizon — of McCain’s “100 years” comment? He’s willing to consider keeping more troops in the field or slowing the pace of withdrawal precisely because there’s not an emergency anymore. Which is actually bad news for McCain politically, because once he and Obama agree on that, the only variable left to negotiate is how long troops should be kept in that non-emergency occupation role. Maverick’s opened the bidding at a century. In terms of drawing voters, Obama shouldn’t find that tough to beat.

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2

Until next week. I’m not changing my firm position.

And that’s final, Again.

Texyank on July 5, 2008 at 6:46 PM

Sorry Iraqis, you’re still under the bus.

pedestrian on July 5, 2008 at 6:53 PM

McCain can win the debate if he rejects the timeline argument. The American people dont want our troops dying in IRaq.

McCain has to make the arguement that abandoning the Iraqi people to Iran or Al Qaeda isnt in the US’s best interest. That democracy for Iraqis is becoming more permenent and selling the Iraq people out for political expediency to ruthless butchers does no one any good.

William Amos on July 5, 2008 at 6:55 PM

Wow, he’s even throwing the people that are being slaughtered in Africa under the bus. This guy cares about no one but himself and gaining power for himself.

boomer on July 5, 2008 at 6:57 PM

Scumbaggery at its best.

JonRoss on July 5, 2008 at 7:02 PM

I don’t think even HE knows what the Hell his position is. My eyes started glazing over at about 2 sentences in, trying to understand the splitting of hairs that he does so artfully, while no one else apparently does. The man is truly an enigma wrapped in a riddle. Or a calculating SOB who hopes to perform mental gymnastics on the sheeple who are voting for “hope and change”

CapitalistPig on July 5, 2008 at 7:05 PM

….The man is truly an enigma wrapped in a riddle. Or a calculating SOB who hopes to perform mental gymnastics on the sheeple who are voting for “hope and change”

CapitalistPig on July 5, 2008 at 7:05 PM

I would say more of an SOB than anything else.

JonRoss on July 5, 2008 at 7:10 PM

reminds me of another president who was going to end U.S. involvement in a prolonged war.

RMC1618 on July 5, 2008 at 7:17 PM

abandoning Iraq

Abandoning Iraq? Are we suppose to be like married to Iraq? Did I miss the wedding? Save them from a brutal dictator and spend over 5 years, 4,000 lives and hundreds of billions of $$$ and somehow we owe them?

MB4 on July 5, 2008 at 7:18 PM

I guess something like this will happen all over again.

abinitioadinfinitum on July 5, 2008 at 7:22 PM

I liked Barack’s “I am not somebody — unlike George Bush — who is willing to ignore facts on the basis of my preconceived notions.” which is why he has ignored both slim amount of facts reported but growing every day, not to mention the very valuable facts he could solicit from the generals in charge, which he studiously avoids meeting.

He’s looks very much like a fish out of water if people can’t take such take such clear statements as “I am absolutely committed to ending the war. I will call my joint chiefs of staff in and give them a new assignment and that is to end the war.” with no questions asked.

Barack’s damn lucky he thought to wear that empty suit ’til now but it ain’t going to save him.

Dusty on July 5, 2008 at 7:25 PM

He doesn’t know that his words will be calibrated and measured? And he “was a little puzzled by the frenzy that [he] set off by what [he] thought was a pretty innocuous statement?” Just another set of reasons why this man is patently unfit to be President of the United States.

Maybe he thinks everything he says is “just words.” But, as the Obamessiah previously proclaimed, “Don’t tell me words don’t matter.”

Blackacre on July 5, 2008 at 7:25 PM

Somebody needs a colour code system,or an early
warning lying flippy/floppy alert system!

When Omama flips,the siren sounds
when Barack flops the the lights flash,

that way,one can visit the website,day
or nite and know whether or not,Obama,

has a new flip or flop,morning,afternoon,
evening,and maybe even twice a night,

that way,one can slow done,and not get sea-
sick,or vertigo from Obama’s fast pace clip
of flippy/floppy!

And lets all Hope,that Obama keeps this
Change of flippenzee/der/flopponzee up,
all through the election,so American voters,
and illegal voting visitors(that’s south of the
great State of Texas,for the geographically
challenged Democratic Party)can see the
Liberal Party on Parade!!!!!!!————-:)

canopfor on July 5, 2008 at 7:31 PM

[boomer on July 5, 2008 at 6:57 PM]

In the article linked by Ace, which is where I got the quote by Barack in my previous comment, the writer of article “finely measured” a comment of Barack’s as throwing reporters under the bus.

This finely woven cloth of Obama appears to be unraveling on all sides, now.

Dusty on July 5, 2008 at 7:33 PM

Shouldn’t that be “I am not somebody – like George Bush – who is blah blah blah”?

misterpeasea on July 5, 2008 at 7:34 PM

Gabe Malor form Ace of Spades had a nice snarky quote from, of all sources, al-Reuters:

Obama said he did not make a mistake on Wednesday with his choice of words in describing his Iraq position — even though he called a second news conference a few hours after his initial comments to clarify his stance.

He laid the blame with reporters.

Yeah, don’t those reporters know which side they’re supposed to be on? How dare they report on the exact words that are coming out of Obama’s mouth? The Reuters reporter, at least, doesn’t seem to appreciate the charge and pokes a little fun at Obama:

“‘I’m surprised at how finely calibrated every single word was measured. I wasn’t saying anything I hadn’t said before, that I didn’t say a year ago or when I was a United States senator,’ said Obama, who is still a senator from Illinois.”

Wethal on July 5, 2008 at 7:35 PM

misterpeasea on July 5, 2008 at 7:34 PM

Yeah, it should be.

amerpundit on July 5, 2008 at 7:36 PM

MB4:

I don’t think I heard anyone say anything about marriage. You and Obama make a lovely couple by the way.

Terrye on July 5, 2008 at 7:36 PM

[canopfor on July 5, 2008 at 7:31 PM]

Powering up a Barack flip flop alert system would be be like tapping into a black hole.

Dusty on July 5, 2008 at 7:38 PM

This guy is getting on my nerves. If there was anyway that Bush could just bring everyone home without a major blowup in a part of the world where blowups are far too frequent, he would. No doubt he would. Any president would. But constantly bitching and moaning about it is not going to make it happen any sooner. If anything it has the opposite effect.

They are like children. Are we there yet? Are we there yet?

Terrye on July 5, 2008 at 7:39 PM

As he spoke here, a dozen or more reporters furiously took notes and recorded his words. Aides later conceded that Mr. Obama knows the office he seeks – the Oval Office – comes with a job description of calibrating and measuring every single word.

And an equally snide dig from the NYTimes Caucus blog.

Wethal on July 5, 2008 at 7:40 PM

“I am absolutely committed to ending the war.”… Who isn’t, Mr,
I have no idea how to command the armed forces’, Obama.
What we (intelligent, conservative Americans) want to do is stay until the Iraqi people are able to defend themselves so that all the lives that were lost would not be in vain. Why do you want to give the enemy the departure date?
I have no military training yet I know this little bit. Barry Husein Obama: what a complete maroon.

Blackacre said it well.

Christine on July 5, 2008 at 7:40 PM

“I’m surprised at how finely calibrated every single word was measured. I wasn’t saying anything I hadn’t said before, that I didn’t say a year ago or when I was a United States senator,’ said Obama, who is still a senator from Illinois.”

Barry’s so cool he doesn’t know his pants are on fire.

Christine on July 5, 2008 at 7:42 PM

Can you imagine what a slam dunk this election would be if the GOP had even a mediocre candidate to run against this complete ‘waste of skin’??

LegendHasIt on July 5, 2008 at 7:44 PM

William Amos on July 5, 2008 at 6:55 PM

I do have one small quibble with the bolded word. I know most people don’t do it intentionally, nor have malice when they use the term “our” in front of troops, as I’m sure you don’t Mr. Amos.

Nothing annoyed me more while I was in the Army to be treated like I was the possession of the American people. I, along with every other member of the military, volunteered to serve our country, not to be used as chattle for either side of the political divide only to be used when trying to score talking points. I deserved more respect than that when I wore the uniform and those who continue to wear the uniform deserve more respect than that.

Having said that; Obama only cares about getting to the White House. I believe that he will say or do anything to help Michelle Obama’s kids.

Blarg the Destroyer on July 5, 2008 at 7:45 PM

[Christine on July 5, 2008 at 7:42 PM]

Yeah, that was a great subtle shot by the reporter. I wonder if he’ll get a talking to.

Dusty on July 5, 2008 at 7:46 PM

I hate to say it, but I’m starting to get a tingle up my leg every time Barack speaks.

Dusty on July 5, 2008 at 7:48 PM

“You’re gonna need a bigger bus.”

locomotivebreath1901 on July 5, 2008 at 7:49 PM

In real news….
Wack Wacks Wax Wacker

Beto Ochoa on July 5, 2008 at 7:51 PM

I feel a bit sorry for the poor nutroots. He builds them up, lets them down, builds them up,.. shows a little ankle, then a flash of thigh, then buttons the whole thing up, They sigh in resignation, start to turn away and it’s a whispered,”Psst”, a wink, and the rustle of buttons coming undone again.

a capella on July 5, 2008 at 7:52 PM

That should make more sense. I’m thinking I should use the preview button and read what I typed before hitting submit.

Blarg the Destroyer on July 5, 2008 at 7:53 PM

“He’s willing to consider keeping more troops in the field or slowing the pace of withdrawal precisely because there’s not an emergency anymore.” (This is downright strange). “Which is actually bad news for McCain politically, because once he and Obama agree on that, the only variable left to negotiate is how long troops should be kept in that non-emergency occupation role.”
Howeva, his lefty loon base forced him to reiterate that he’s committed to ending the war. I know I’m dealing with reality, (which is the Twilight Zone to the Left), but, how can he really have both ways?

Christine on July 5, 2008 at 7:54 PM

This is a very strange turn of phrase, and doesn’t really make any sense. (It reminds me of when he begins a sentence with “I confess,” and then goes on to tell a lie.)He could have left out either the word “calibrated” or “measured.” They don’t make sense together in this sentence.

Obama is the one who carefully “measures” each word he utters, separating them by endless “uhs” while his brain calculates and “calibrates” the meaning he wishes to deliver, and spin, or deny.

But here, in what I consider ungrammatical speech, (using $5 words to no true effect), he tries to feign surprise when he’s held accountable for what he actually says. He claims his critics are unfairly parsing his words, by measuring and calibrating(calibrating to what?), when what he is really doing is trying to throw attention away from the fact that that is precisely what he does, and was caught.

This guy lies beautifully, elegantly even–and much better than that truly second-rate actor, Bill Clinton.

Mr. Obama is far from merely an incompetent elitist. He is a master confidence man.

JiangxiDad on July 5, 2008 at 7:54 PM

Barak HUSSEIN Obama = “Taqiyah”: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Taqiyah

Dale in Atlanta on July 5, 2008 at 7:54 PM

And knoooooow we are suppossed to believe him?

Actually I do. He’s got “surrender” written all over him. If elected, the U.S. will be the world’s doormat, those old enough to remember the Carter Presidency will understand.

Hog Wild on July 5, 2008 at 8:01 PM

JiangxiDad on July 5, 2008 at 7:54 PM

Well, I think he was the first to bring up the subject of the okie doke, which, up until then I thought just meant “yes”. I definitely thought it was a case of projection and he does appear intent on confirming that belief often.

Dusty on July 5, 2008 at 8:01 PM

Like it actually matters what this guy says at this point. His credibility is gone.

TheBigOldDog on July 5, 2008 at 8:06 PM

How many of these fine talking points will McCain remember when he is up on the platform during the debates? Better yet, how many of these fine talking points will McCain’s team remember to brief him in on.

I want Mac to knock the snot outta Obama when the nation is tuned in. Are you listening Johnny? Are you?

Limerick on July 5, 2008 at 8:09 PM

Dusty on July 5, 2008 at 8:01 PM

Projection. That’s it. And probably just below the surface of consciousness.

I love identifying character flaws in the opposition. Charts a way in for the kill.

JiangxiDad on July 5, 2008 at 8:10 PM

Powering up a Barack flip flop alert system would be be
like tapping into a black hole.

Dusty on July 5,2008 at 7:38PM.

Dusty: You Sir,are correct,haha!

And even political light wouldn’t escape
that gapeing abyss!—————-:)

canopfor on July 5, 2008 at 8:11 PM

Dusty on July 5, 2008 at 8:01 PM

Obama’s a psychological mess. The way to get him is through that soft psychological underbelly of his.

Psyops is the key.

JiangxiDad on July 5, 2008 at 8:12 PM

If you crushed little blue pills and coated BHO’s tongue with the powder –he still could not talk straight.
I got news — some of us notice the changes.

NaCly dog on July 5, 2008 at 8:17 PM

And between preconditions or to “prepare”…
Public financing or public financing…
I could no sooner change my mind than I could ditch my friends or family….. Well, which family is family.
I’ve always said that…well…uhhh…uhhh…what I’ve always said.

shooter on July 5, 2008 at 8:19 PM

Option A: Situation improves = time to leave

Option B: Situation deteriorates = time to leave

Same Barry. He didn’t flip-flop. He simply tried to pull a Mordecai Jones on the security moms. Sorry about that, sweetie.

Limerick on July 5, 2008 at 8:20 PM

In real news…

Wack Wacks Wax Wacker

Beto Ochoa on Huly 5,2008 at 7:51PM.

Beto Ochoa: Maybe this individual has a Nazi,a hum
fetish,(yuck,ick and hurl)!haha :)

canopfor on July 5, 2008 at 8:21 PM

Limerick on July 5, 2008 at 8:09 PM

All McCain has to say is what most honest people are saying today: “I have no idea where he stands on anything anymore. My head is swimming trying to keep it all straight.”

TheBigOldDog on July 5, 2008 at 8:21 PM

JiangxiDad on July 5, 2008 at 7:54 PM

You hit the nail on the head with that one. It’s what makes him a particularly dangerous political figure. I half expect him to break out in song and sing me a tune about monorails.

BryanS on July 5, 2008 at 8:26 PM

Thank you, “Capt. Experience”!

Tony737 on July 5, 2008 at 8:27 PM

when the nation is tuned in,…
Limerick on July 5,2008 at 8:09PM.

Limerick: Isn’t this the offspring of the Flower Power!

Turn off

and

Tune out! or sumpin like that!

I mean the Lib’s,that is!—–:)

canopfor on July 5, 2008 at 8:30 PM

“I am absolutely committed to ending the war.”

And what if the other side is just as committed to *continuing* the war?

This guy is like a military version of Einstein! All hail the reincarnation of Ceasar!

Tony737 on July 5, 2008 at 8:31 PM

“occupation” ? He really said that? He sounds like a Kossie or a Huffpoite. It’s an alliance with the Iraqi govt. And he says “I am absolutely committed to ending the war”. Does “winning” enter into it in any way, shape, or form? Apparently not!

Paul-Cincy on July 5, 2008 at 8:32 PM

[JiangxiDad on July 5, 2008 at 7:54 PM]

You are right, too and that aside, just about any criticism of Barack’s shock that his words were being either calibrated, measured, or calibratedly measured or measuredly calibrated, it ought to be shocking that Obama suggests he this totally ignorant.

He’s given us more than adequate info on his life that we can’t believe he’s lived in a closet all his life. Allah’s take that it “must be the most precious bit of shinola to escape his lips” is right on.

Where the heck was he when, for example, about each and every word in so much of the constant conversation between the US and it’s allies and the Soviet Union and it’s allies were put under a microscope and “calibrated” and “measured.” This measuring and calibration was the finale to most news reports. And such examples in history as the above are almost limitless.

And another thing, Obama is a lawyer for goodness sakes. The professional is practically useless if you take the calibration and measuring of words out of it.

It is not a good thing for Obama to start arguing he is this clueless.

Dusty on July 5, 2008 at 8:34 PM

Translation: “I’m very disappointed in my comments. This isn’t the me that I thought I knew. Obviously, I’ve had a long personal and professional relationship with me over the years, as have my wife and children. But I fear I have no choice but to personally distance myself from me. I’ll be looking to make a decision about the new me some time after the general election in November.”

Captain Scarlet on July 5, 2008 at 8:34 PM

All hail the reincarnation of Ceasar!

Tony737 on July 5, 2008 at 8:31 PM

I came, I saw, I withdrew.

Limerick on July 5, 2008 at 8:35 PM

Psyops is the key.

JiangxiDad on July 5,2008 at 8:12PM.

JiangxDad: Here ya go,Psychological Warfare.

canopfor on July 5, 2008 at 8:38 PM

what a joke.

i think his middle name is no longer HUSSEIN, but “Clarification.”

Barack Clarification Obama.

reliapundit on July 5, 2008 at 8:39 PM

McCain can win the debate

Haven’t you heard? There’s no debate. According to the dems, the messiah and the MSM (dem PR group) we’ve lost and we must get out. Debate…that’s funny.

jwp1964 on July 5, 2008 at 8:48 PM

MB4:

Terrye on July 5, 2008 at 7:36 PM

Thanks I suppose, but you have never seem me and I could look like John McCain for all you know.

MB4 on July 5, 2008 at 8:51 PM

LegendHasIt on July 5, 2008 at 7:44 PM

So true, but as they say it’s hard to beat somethin’ with nothin’.

MB4 on July 5, 2008 at 8:53 PM

Obama is so used to giving pretty prepared speeches, that he’s forgotten (if he ever knew) how to think before he speaks, and to speak extemporaneously while thinking.

He’s not really paying attention to what he says, so he doesn’t think others are, either.

While I still think the MSM is in the tank for him, this episode and the “Hey, guys, I’ve answered eight whole questions already” one show he doesn’t really know how to handle the national media yet.

If he shuts off media access, he ticks them off, and gives credence to the elitist label. If he lets them in, they record every word. Tough, ain’t it, Barry.

Wethal on July 5, 2008 at 8:54 PM

Thanks I suppose,

MB4 on July 5,2008 at 8:51PM.

MB4:The only merrying yer gonna do,is to a nice
shiny,low maintenance,artillary piece!!haha:)

canopfor on July 5, 2008 at 8:57 PM

Dusty on July 5, 2008 at 7:48 PM

I had the same problem but it turned out to be just his voice agitating the fleas. Try using some Advantage or Revolution once a month and you should be OK.

FeralCat on July 5, 2008 at 8:58 PM

MB4:The only merrying yer gonna do,is to a nice
shiny,low maintenance,artillary piece!!haha:)

canopfor on July 5, 2008 at 8:57 PM

Good Lord, I’m not that big!

MB4 on July 5, 2008 at 8:59 PM

At some point the insiders, the “wise guys” are going to look at Obama and realize he’s not up for it, he’s not going to be able to function as a prez should. Then what. I mean, it’s as if you gave your high school’s senior debating champion power over nuclear missiles, a $2 trillion annual budget, world peace, and the direction of the country. That’s just irresponsible.

Paul-Cincy on July 5, 2008 at 9:00 PM

Barack Clarification Obama.

reliapundit on July 5, 2008 at 8:39 PM

Barack Restate Obama. BRO.

misterpeasea on July 5, 2008 at 9:02 PM

Paul-Cincy on July 5, 2008 at 9:00 PM

Well said.

Why doesn’t Obama just head off to a recording studio to produce some CD’s for distribution to his admiring tools impressed with his baritone vacuousness? His fans hear what they want to hear anyway.

For a candidate smug in his golden-tounged ability to negotiate, he surely has difficulty expressing his intent without walkbacks and clarifications.

Dale in Atlanta: You have his number. Obama is the Manchurian Candidate. The media had better direct its efforts to more scrutiny and hard questions.

onlineanalyst on July 5, 2008 at 9:18 PM

tongued

onlineanalyst on July 5, 2008 at 9:19 PM

Good lord I’m not, that big!
MB4 on July 5,2008 at 8:59PM.

MB4: From one of Rod Stewart’s dittys,Now hold on a minute!

I was referring to your Military experience in the
artillery corps,hence,your affection to the Big Gun!

To this blogging day,I don’t know if your female or
male,and I don’t have a clue what your weight is!

Only,that,even when your arguementive,your still a
valued H/A crewmember!haha——————:):).

canopfor on July 5, 2008 at 9:29 PM

He’s the most misunderstood person. EVER.

SouthernGent on July 5, 2008 at 9:46 PM

No matter how many idiots vote for this clown next fall, he will never for a moment be my President.

If he becomes President, we need to start working on impeaching him immediately. We cannot give this jackass four years.

NoDonkey on July 5, 2008 at 9:47 PM

Paul-Cincy on July 5, 2008 at 9:00 PM

You don’t actually think Pelosi and Reid intend to actually let him make and real decisions do you?

TheBigOldDog on July 5, 2008 at 9:48 PM

Paul-Cincy on July 5, 2008 at 9:00 PM

TheBigOldDog on July 5, 2008 at 9:48 PM

I am thinking Soros will be calling the shots.

JonRoss on July 5, 2008 at 9:59 PM

I’m thinking Senator Clinton will be the nominee.

News2Use on July 5, 2008 at 10:03 PM

Yes, he will. That is unless you plan on moving to another country.

NoDonkey on July 5, 2008 at 9:47 PM

On what grounds? This kind of rhetoric just makes you sound silly. You can’t impeach a president just because you don’t like him, or don’t like his policies.

Blarg the Destroyer on July 5, 2008 at 10:05 PM

“I’m not the Barack Obama I thought I knew”

Zoltan on July 5, 2008 at 10:14 PM

I’m thinking Senator Clinton will be the nominee.

News2Use on July 5, 2008 at 10:03 PM

Of course she will. Clark is a Clintonite, which is why he threw himself under the bus last week.

Blarg the Destroyer on July 5, 2008 at 10:05 PM

Sure you can, according to the Leftists. In their parallel universe, Clinton never comitted a crime, even though his own Justice Department prosecuted a female employee of the VA during his first term for lying about sex under oath.

He of course was held to be above the law.

Del Dolemonte on July 5, 2008 at 10:21 PM

Ok, how long before he reverses himself again?

JimK on July 5, 2008 at 10:21 PM

[News2Use on July 5, 2008 at 10:03 PM]

Me, too. Obama has no lock on the supers. If he keeps displaying his utter incompetence like this, and his numbers drop significantly before the convention, they might very well give the nod to Clinton.

If I were an Obama advisor, I’d serious consider telling him to keep talking take a Kerry-esque vacation.

Dusty on July 5, 2008 at 10:26 PM

MB4:

Terrye on July 5, 2008 at 7:36 PM

Terrye, when you are willing to stay with Iraq for 100 years, I think it’s fair to call it a marriage.

mycowardice on July 5, 2008 at 10:42 PM

Where the hell is McCain? Did he fly off to Columbia and get lost? Become Columbo?
You’d think there is only one person running for POTUS.

As far as insiders getting nervous which ones have the brains to figure out they’ve screwed the goose with this vacuous bag of hotair?
Harry, the war is lost, Reid or Nancy, kissing Assads ass while covering her head, Pelosi.
Come to think of it keep the head fag Nancy it improves/ becomes you.

dhunter on July 5, 2008 at 10:49 PM

mycowardice on July 5, 2008 at 10:42 PM

In that case we are polygamists since we have the same commitment to Korea, Japan, Germany, Philippines, and the UK to name a few of our spouses.

TheBigOldDog on July 5, 2008 at 10:49 PM

OOps should have been head rag, wrong key.

dhunter on July 5, 2008 at 10:50 PM

misterpeasea on July 5, 2008 at 7:34 PM

Just words.

platypus on July 5, 2008 at 10:56 PM

I’m picturing Barry windsurfing. . . in a campaign commercial. . .hmmm

I think it’d be absolutely hilarious if he demonstrated such utter incompetence that the Dems decided to throw HIM under the bus in Denver – even if he offered to bail them out of the financial mess they’re making of it.

Wind Rider on July 5, 2008 at 10:58 PM

TheBigOldDog on July 5, 2008 at 10:49 PM

Yeah, the “Big Love” approach to foreign policy . . .

Wind Rider on July 5, 2008 at 11:00 PM

So Obama intends to end the war.

But does not understand that wars do not end because of what you intend, but by how thoroughly you crush the enemy.

His method is simply to use the weasel word end when he really means surrender.

There is only way you can unilaterally “end” a war:

Lose.

profitsbeard on July 5, 2008 at 11:01 PM

NaCly dog on July 5, 2008 at 8:17 PM

ROTFLMAO. You owe me a latte and a keyboard.

platypus on July 5, 2008 at 11:04 PM

You’d think there is only one person running for POTUS.

dhunter on July 5, 2008 at 10:49 PM

That’s about it. With McCain as his opponent this election is going to be basically a referendum on Obama. Most folks, particularly “swing voters” are going to vote Obama yes or Obama no.

MB4 on July 5, 2008 at 11:13 PM

I wrote about this yesterday. The idea that he’s always cited Iraq’s stability as a a factor in his withdrawal plans is a joke. He introduced legislation to have the troops pulled out while Iraq was in the middle of a civil war. How stupid does he think we are?

Spolitics on July 5, 2008 at 11:18 PM

TheBigOldDog on July 5, 2008 at 10:49 PM

But you see those “spouses” are among the cream of the crop. Iraq? Well, we should try to sell “her” off or maybe pay someone to take “her” off our hands.

MB4 on July 5, 2008 at 11:18 PM

Most folks, particularly “swing voters” are going to vote Obama yes or Obama no. MB4 on July 5, 2008 at 11:13 PM

We’ll taste the wine and then graciously set our glasses down and not to drink again. He’s going to get old really fast.

Mojave Mark on July 5, 2008 at 11:20 PM

His method is simply to use the weasel word end when he really means surrender.

profitsbeard on July 5, 2008 at 11:01 PM

To whom would we surrender to? Would our troops surrender their weapons and be taken prisoner as that is what is usually done in a surrender? That’s probably why it’s called surrender.

MB4 on July 5, 2008 at 11:24 PM

Spolitics on July 5, 2008 at 11:18 PM

Don’t let George hear you say that as he has said many times that there is no civil war in Iraq.

MB4 on July 5, 2008 at 11:28 PM

He’s going to get old really fast.

Mojave Mark on July 5, 2008 at 11:20 PM

I think that you are probably right. Sometime around September of 2009.

MB4 on July 5, 2008 at 11:31 PM

Traitor is as Traitor does….

Dale in Atlanta on July 5, 2008 at 11:39 PM

how is he a nominee for president of the united states?
how did hillary lose to him?
how will mccain lose to him?

custer on July 5, 2008 at 11:45 PM

MB4 on July 5, 2008 at 11:24 PM

Do you not understand the meaning of the word? Clearly somebody as clever as you owns a dictionary or knows how to use one on-line:

sur·ren·der (s-rndr)
v. sur·ren·dered, sur·ren·der·ing, sur·ren·ders
v.tr.
1. To relinquish possession or control of to another because of demand or compulsion.
2. To give up in favor of another.
3. To give up or give back (something that has been granted): surrender a contractual right.
4. To give up or abandon: surrender all hope.
5. To give over or resign (oneself) to something, as to an emotion: surrendered himself to grief.
6. Law To restore (an estate, for example), especially to give up (a lease) before expiration of the term.

TheBigOldDog on July 5, 2008 at 11:48 PM

MB4 on July 5, 2008 at 11:18 PM

That’s because we made them beautiful through the expenditure of blood and treasure.

You remind me of the preacher passing by a beautiful farm. He calls to the farmer and says, “Brother the good Lord has seen fit to reward you with a beutiful farm.” The farmer replies, “Yes Reverend but you should have seen it when I got here.”

TheBigOldDog on July 5, 2008 at 11:53 PM

TheBigOldDog on July 5, 2008 at 11:48 PM

I was clearly talking about a military surrender which was obviously the topic of the comment that I responded to.

You are talking about all manner of non military surrenders such as “surrender a contractual right”, “surrendered himself to grief” and “especially to give up (a lease)”.

MB4 on July 5, 2008 at 11:59 PM

MB4 on July 5, 2008 at 11:59 PM

The meaning of the word is the meaning of the word. If you don’t agree with the definition, start your own dictionary and see if you can generate any business for it.

TheBigOldDog on July 6, 2008 at 12:01 AM