MSNBC host: Was the Colombia hostage rescue a sham designed to benefit McCain?

posted at 1:58 pm on July 3, 2008 by Allahpundit

Like so many conspiracy theorists these days, he doesn’t have the balls to level the accusation squarely, preferring instead to “just ask questions.” It falls to Buchanan to flesh out the theory before rejecting it. Wade through some nutroots blogs and you’ll find breathless reportage noting that McCain did, apparently, know in advance — around 12 hours in advance, per the NYT, after he got to Colombia. Uribe told him on Tuesday night that they were going to try a rescue on Wednesday. The Times itself states matter of factly, “the timing of the rescue was a coincidence and Mr. McCain’s trip to Colombia had nothing to do with it,” and since he didn’t meet with the rescued hostages he gained nothing politically of any value — aside, of course, from a galaxy of leftists screeching about the timing. Oh well. Behold, per Blake Dvorak, one of the first documented cases of McCain Derangement Syndrome.

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2

This guy is obviously a plant by the Rove to make blacks look uniformed and conspiratorial, thus helping to keep them down as a people. He is a race traitor, and I think Al Sharpton should call him out.

VolMagic on July 3, 2008 at 3:32 PM

Right, I’m sure an operation like this that takes years to plan was executed specifically to benefit McCain.

What tripe.

Enrique on July 3, 2008 at 3:36 PM

The United States of America with smart a leader wins. A smart leader is a leader with the self discipline to play by the rules. When he plays by the rules and wins he inspires followers who also play by the rules and more wins just happen. Those who never won because they never played by the rule scan never accept that a win came from a smart leader’s playing by the rules.

jimw on July 3, 2008 at 3:38 PM

I was just wondering how come if you posted this video you did not also post the Shep Smith video from yesterday

SHEP SMITH: John McCain’s been over in Colombia. He was over there just yesterday. Is there a sense the timing is coincidental, or something more?

STEVE HARRIGAN: Well, you’d have to think as a former prisoner of war himself, Sen. McCain would have an intense interest in this case. It’s been played pretty low profile. A lot of people aren’t even aware of the fate of these three Americans. They were really working for a Defense Department civilian contractor. So there really might be a connection between the high-level visit of the former prisoner of war, John McCain himself, and the release now of three American prisoners here in southern Colombia.

kevmack on July 3, 2008 at 3:45 PM

Hmmm… I smell Karl Rove and the illuminati. Possibly the Zionist bankers and the Freemasons, as well.

morganfrost on July 3, 2008 at 3:46 PM

Whether McCain planned to be in Colombia at the time of this hostage rescue or not, in no case would it be a conspiracy.

Conspiracy: plan to commit illegal act together: a secret plan or agreement between two or more people to commit an illegal or subversive act

At worst its just politics, there is no element of an illegal or subversive act. Not everything is a conspiracy. At worst this is an accusation of a political ploy, it does not and cannot rise to the category of conspiracy.

Use thy dictionary.

Maxx on July 3, 2008 at 3:49 PM

I saw Jesse Ventura do the same thing today on Fox & Friends by “just asking questions” about 9/11 and how the building that wasn’t hit [but got affected by falling debris!] fell. Thank you for calling this tactic out.

Jill1066 on July 3, 2008 at 3:02 PM

The thing with Ventura and other Truthers is that if they really were “just asking questions,” then they’d listen when they were given the answers, which are readily available. But they don’t do that. So, obviously, they aren’t “just asking questions.”

Blacklake on July 3, 2008 at 3:50 PM

What an assclown. Yeah, John McCain planned this 6 friggen’ years ago.

roninacreage on July 3, 2008 at 3:54 PM

Fifteen souls rescued from captivity and returned to their families and Americans look for an ulterior motive.

No futher proof of our slide into the pit is needed.

Limerick on July 3, 2008 at 4:02 PM

Sliwa just made a point on the radio – Pelosi and the Donks have to be pissed about this.

JonRoss on July 3, 2008 at 4:08 PM

Idiot

Not much more can be said about that.

TroubledMonkey on July 3, 2008 at 4:08 PM

John McCain planned this 6 friggen’ years ago.

roninacreage on July 3, 2008 at 3:54 PM

along with the BUSH family!!!

right4life on July 3, 2008 at 4:11 PM

So if we start screaming “Global Warming” do youthink the left will change it’s tune and start drilling? Build Refineries?

it could work.

upinak on July 3, 2008 at 2:51 PM

Unfortunately, no, it won’t work. The Leftists never want a solution to “Global Warming”: a solution would remove their cover for expansion of government into every nook and cranny of our lives.

landlines on July 3, 2008 at 4:11 PM

And I say Pelosi and the Donks are pissed not because I think they think this may benefit McCain. But because someone did something bad to FARC. FARC is a marxist / fascist organization that gives the Donks a warm and fuzzy feeling. I am going to call Pelosi’s office and offer my condolences.

JonRoss on July 3, 2008 at 4:13 PM

landlines on July 3, 2008 at 4:11 PM

Sarcasm… it is a beautiful thing sometimes.

upinak on July 3, 2008 at 4:14 PM

Shocking – that Uribe didn’t tell the NYT before he told McCain so the Times could put it on page one ASAP for FARC’s benefit.

Akzed on July 3, 2008 at 4:17 PM

If this guy is a dumb as he appears then somebody had better take away his belt and shoe laces and keep him away from sharp objects.

“Stupid is as stupid does”

rplat on July 3, 2008 at 4:23 PM

No futher proof of our slide into the pit is needed.

Limerick on July 3, 2008 at 4:02 PM

… amen, Limerick. Just what I was thinking. Has it escaped the lunatics in the media that hostages were freed from 5 years of captivity in the jungle? This is a time to rejoice, people… this conspiracy nonsense is clouding peoples’ judgment.

MsUnderestimated on July 3, 2008 at 4:28 PM

What did I miss? I just got back from Columbia. The ZOG scheduled an impromptu “trade show”.

All I got was this money, this Playboy playmate, and a kiss from Henry Kissinger. Oh, and I got to “high ten” John McCain even though he can’t do it.

gabriel sutherland on July 3, 2008 at 4:35 PM

No futher proof of our slide into the pit is needed.

Limerick on July 3, 2008 at 4:02 PM

Well, you can’t blame MSNBC for having trouble with the story. So far as they’re concerned FARC’s the good guys.

Blacklake on July 3, 2008 at 4:38 PM

Yeah….. it was all planned 5 years ago,when these hostages were taken (or staged to be taken), knowing McCain would be this year’s nominee!

ToddonCapeCod on July 3, 2008 at 4:42 PM

Uh Oh. I just got a memo from Le ZOG, our french counterparts. They tell me this was a super secret global ZOG operation that was actually 8 years in the making to benefit McCain AND Sarkozy.

gabriel sutherland on July 3, 2008 at 4:46 PM

This rescue disrupts the DNC plans to engage Hugo as an example of that head to head diplomacy.

Remember this:

Bill Richardson: Venezuela’s Chavez willing to ‘re-engage’ in negotiations to free US hostages
The Associated PressPublished: April 27, 2008

This morning Richardson was trying to spin this rescue as though he had something to do with it!!

Texas Gal on July 3, 2008 at 4:46 PM

Think back 8 or so months ago, when someone was assassinated, how the two knucklehead Dems try to be big, bad and cool, how they said they called Pervez Musharraf and made all these demands they put to him, how they personally talked to him, which turned out to be bogus.

Here we have McCain in Colombia, and he tries to down play it.

Really telling.

WoosterOh on July 3, 2008 at 4:47 PM

Besides…. if this were something to benefit McCain, then wouldn’t American troops have been sent in?
The amaxing thing about this story is how gullible the kidnappers were!

ToddonCapeCod on July 3, 2008 at 4:47 PM

When did Obey turn black…

Wade on July 3, 2008 at 4:49 PM

It’s not just good news from Iraq they cant stand I guess.

Lunkinator on July 3, 2008 at 4:55 PM

It’s MSNBC for gosh sakes!

This guy probably got to go on because out of all the other morons there, his crazy theory seemed, at least to the producers, to be the most plausible.

SuperCool on July 3, 2008 at 4:58 PM

God help us. Obviously these people have no reason to tell the truth.

kirkill on July 3, 2008 at 5:10 PM

I am really surprised. Some black woman being a punk on camera. What’s the name of her show: I’m Gonna Get You Sucka?

revolution on July 3, 2008 at 5:12 PM

MSNBC is always saying nutty garbage like this.

SoulGlo on July 3, 2008 at 5:21 PM

Rich, thick, steaming-hot crazy.

misterpeasea on July 3, 2008 at 5:22 PM

Whether or not it’s a sham, if good events are to the benefit of McCain, and bad ones benefit Obama, I know who I’m voting for. Thanks, Mr. Dvorak, for clarifying things!

Socratease on July 3, 2008 at 5:23 PM

This guy probably has a number of signed copies of Loose Change at home.

aikidoka on July 3, 2008 at 5:28 PM

morganfrost on July 3, 2008 at 3:46 PM

You forgot the Trilateral commission and the Bilderburgers.

Nahanni on July 3, 2008 at 5:43 PM

This guy represents BHO’s base. Whadanidiot!

Mojave Mark on July 3, 2008 at 5:44 PM

As Bugs Bunny would say… What a Maroon!

Claypigeon on July 3, 2008 at 5:55 PM

Boy am I a moron. When I heard McCain was in Columbia I thought that meant he was in South Carolina.

radjah shelduck on July 3, 2008 at 7:03 PM

Two things…

1) Ok, maybe 3… Can I sue him for causing emotional distress because that statement was SO FRAKKIN STOOOPID that it enraged me?

2) I think I know why Fox News is always #1. This.

3) I know I will become a TRILLIONAIRE when I invent a device that will allow me ot reach through the TV or internet and SLAP HIM FRAKKIN SILLY!!

Mazztek on July 3, 2008 at 7:36 PM

Do these dopes not realize that asking such questions reinforces the idea that Obama is a foreign policy lightweight?

spmat on July 3, 2008 at 7:39 PM

Keep searching blind squirrels, you are bound to find a nut.

Allah just did….

Hog Wild on July 3, 2008 at 7:49 PM

Ohhh brother.

This is Conspiracy Theory writ large. I the “moon landings were faked” league.

CalFed on July 3, 2008 at 8:22 PM

MSNBC…..yawn! What’s next? Extraterrestrials kidnapping earth woman for breeding?

GarandFan on July 3, 2008 at 9:06 PM

Stupid black bastard. It’s guys like him that make it hard for black Conservatives and Republicans, like myself, to be recognized. People see me entering into a political conversation, and the first thing they think is that I’m probably an Obama supporter, or Clinton lover.

FAR FROM IT.

This bald-headed sissy didn’t have the nuts to come out and lay his cards on the table, and make his accusation. Instead, like a pink-blooded coward, he tap-dances and sprinkles stupid little innuendos around, never making a point, but making plenty of accusations. I hate this punk, already, and would put both his own boots in his ass, in a political debate, I can already see. Too many blacks are just like him: ignorant, uneducated, conspiracy theorists that think the democratic party likes anything about them, and that being liberal means being more intellgent than someone else.

Assclowns.

This finger-pointing punk just makes my blood boil.

Virus-X on July 3, 2008 at 9:07 PM

Ahem Ahem – I think we need to get Gen Clark to comment on this one MSNBC!

iam7545 on July 3, 2008 at 9:30 PM

Virus-X on July 3, 2008 at 9:07 PM

Sorry, having a hard time guaging your true feelings. Could you be a bit more concise and to the point? Thanks in advance.

Hog Wild on July 3, 2008 at 10:06 PM

Since most of the coverage I’ve read and heard has been about the ‘French Broad’, and not the ‘Americans’, I now understand how McCain benefits from the rescue operation.

HE’S RUNNING FOR PRESIDENT OF FRANCE!!!

Helloyawl on July 3, 2008 at 11:17 PM

the TV or internet and SLAP HIM FRAKKIN SILLY!!

Mazztek on July 3, 2008 at 7:36 PM

Hey man..Battlestar Galactica ‘f’ words is still profanity. It should be ‘FR**KIN’. Family site and all. Remember Michelle Obama’s children. :)

This story surprised me. I wasn’t expecting someone to go all black helicopter with it. I figured they would just bury it and ignore it since Colombia isn’t one of our ‘good’ allies, ie one of the ones that can be depended on to say bad things about the President. Given how inspirational the story was, I guess they feel the need to p*ss all over it. Sad.

austinnelly on July 4, 2008 at 12:56 AM

it could work.

upinak on July 3, 2008 at 2:51 PM

landlines on July 3, 2008 at 4:11 PM

Landlines, you nailed it!

Travis1 on July 4, 2008 at 1:30 AM

There’s that VAST rightwing conspiracy for ya!

Shave that head good. Tinfoil makes better continuity to the head when there’s no hair…., however a vacuous cavern between the ears can reverberate conspiracy theories through an entire administration.

Kini on July 4, 2008 at 2:12 AM

Isn’t the parent company of pmsnbc and nbc in bed with Iran and funneling shipments to them through a Germany company? I am not saying they are in league with Iran and want a pro Iranian president like nobama im just saying it sounds kind of convenient.

captured-farc-computers-name-barack
I am not saying he is a terrorist /communist lover I am just saying its a little convenient .

Mojack420 on July 4, 2008 at 2:39 AM

Leftists always give themselves away with their projection. They habitually project their tactical proclivities into the motive of their adversaries. Just because they are comfortable with dishonest, dishonorable politics doesn’t mean that others are.

If you want to know what a MoveOn lefty is doing or planning to do, just listen to what he’s accusing us of doing.

petefrt on July 4, 2008 at 8:36 AM

Who is this fool?

Is Dylan Avery in charge of hiring people at MSNBC now?

MannyT-vA on July 4, 2008 at 9:04 AM

jimw on July 3, 2008 at 3:38 PM

You make a great point about playing by the rules, and I will extend it in two ways:

1. When you have the refs in your pocket the way the Dems have the media, you don’t even need to pretend to play by the rules, and if you don’t have to play by the rules, you don’t have the incentive to become very good at the game. That’s why the Dems keep coming up with candidates who can win in the minors, but not in the big leagues. For example a turkey who runs as a war hero, but who cannot afford to have his military records examined.

2. Playing by the rules is not a suicide pact. When the other side does not play by the rules, you could quit the game, but sometimes quitting is not an option because you are in a game of life and death. As Gen. Patton once said to his men “I do not want you to die for your country. I want you to go out there and make the other son-of-a-bitch die for his country!” For all the wailing and moaning about the Geneva Convention, it is worth noting that it is very specific about how to treat combatants who are captured while fighting using civilians a shields and/or not wearing a uniform that identifies them as a combatant: they get a firing squad or a rope.

drunyan8315 on July 4, 2008 at 9:08 AM

Ass-Clown, per MSNBC’s rigorous standards. And whoever it was that whined about bug-eyes saying the same thing, wake up. This group has not exactly held Shep out as some beacon of journalistic balance or conservatism.

He is generally disrespected/hated here, and suspected of liberal leanings.

Jaibones on July 4, 2008 at 10:06 AM

Jill1066 on July 3, 2008 at 3:02 PM

I saw that interview too. And while I think Jesse is a raving lunatic and wouldnt vote for him if he were running for sewer inspector, he’s right about one thing – this government WILL lie to you. And no, I dont think Bush planned and executed 9/11.

abcurtis on July 4, 2008 at 10:43 AM

so we have reverted to the spontaneous responses of the 92 clinton campaign and instead of lannie davis/carville/begala, we get this smirking maroon.

doesn’t look like change to me

billypaintbrush on July 4, 2008 at 11:21 AM

The DUmmies are also on the case.

corona on July 4, 2008 at 12:22 PM

Eh, what’s new.

BTW, Redlasso is so full of fail. Why can’t you embed videos with something else?

mram on July 4, 2008 at 12:25 PM

Our embassy personnel are kidnapped and held for 444 days while Iran laughs at feeble President Carter.

Six minutes after Ronald Reagan is sworn into office as the new President, Iranian thugs returned the hostages to US custody.

Obama claims the US will kick Al-Queda butt in Pakistan, whether he has Musharraf ‘s permission or not.

Musharraf tells Obama to piss up a rope

McCain goes to Columbia and – wham! – the hostages are released?

I think I see a trend here.

T J Green on July 4, 2008 at 2:53 PM

Absolutely Revrum Wright level delusional.

Okay all you freed hostages:

Get back in captivity until the Obambi Campaign can assemble a few dimwit focus groups to test another crackpot theory of how this was all planned to hurt the Liberals just like the dayum White(y) House scheduling Hurricane Katrina and “blowing up the levees.”

viking01 on July 4, 2008 at 7:41 PM

I said it before and I will say it again
“If you want to know what the left if up to, listen to what they accuse others of doing”
Projection people!

RobCon on July 5, 2008 at 8:03 AM

There is one wrinkle in the grand McCain plot,
The media who is in the bag for Obama (no conspiracy there of course) will ignore it or accuse McCain of a set-up.

RobCon on July 5, 2008 at 8:06 AM

Ohhh brother.

This is Conspiracy Theory writ large. I the “moon landings were faked” league.

CalFed on July 3, 2008 at 8:22 PM

Racist much?

/sarc

SouthernGent on July 5, 2008 at 11:50 PM

the first documented cases of McCain Derangement Syndrome

The second case must be the Swiss, who also seem to have caught MDS. Swiss radio claims that the hostages were released because the US paid FARC 20 million.
Why can’t everybody just learn to trust the US media?

dave742 on July 6, 2008 at 12:00 AM