“Fox & Friends” using Photoshop to ugly up images of NYT reporters?

posted at 8:00 pm on July 2, 2008 by Allahpundit

Alas, it would appear so. Media Matters has the side by side comparisons, but if you don’t trust them, feel free to compare the source photos of Reddicliffe and Steinberg with these screencaps I pulled from my own recording of the show:

redd.jpg
stein.jpg

The RedLasso version of the clip is embedded below. Their defense here, I assume, will be that the photos were obvious fakes, especially when viewed in the context of the image of Steinberg as Reddicliffe’s dog. Are they obvious, though? The nose they gave Steinberg is … implausible, but Reddicliffe looks sickly, not outlandish. If the point was to goof on them and they felt they simply had to stoop to drawing the computer equivalent of fake mustaches on their photos, they could have just added some text stating that they were photoshops. I don’t know what they were thinking. Exit question: What’s the excuse tomorrow? Some intern was messing around with the images for fun and his doodling somehow accidentally ended up on the show, or is it another “producer error”?

Update: Heh: “Now Media Matters is upset by fauxtography?”

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2

When FOX first came on it was great. It has become tiresome and way lame! The constant commercials, the mindless info-babes and the constant shouting at each other AT THE SAME TIME have made the network un-watchable! I can no longer watch network news! I have had enough of Obama and McAmnesty! As a conservative I don’t have a dog in this hunt anyway and they just keep babbling about the same stuff over and over and over and over without EVER talking about real issues or solutions for the American people! Total waste of time!

sabbott on July 3, 2008 at 6:47 AM

This is NOT Fow News, guys.

It is on the Fox News Channel. It could be that someone was given carte blanche to goof on those guys, given the particular history of Reddiwhipcliffe and his assignment to Steinberg to produce a hit piece on Fox.

It is not as though someone is intentionally faking news photos to serve their own political perspective.

drjohn on July 3, 2008 at 8:21 AM

That’s terrible. Fox, as a news organization, above all, has a responsibility to be objective and fair in their reporting. This kind of thing makes them no better than the MSM. Also, it makes them look positively juvenile.

The liberals are going to have a field day with this one, and rightly so.

I hope whoever pulled this stunt will be fired, and the network will learn a lesson from this. I also hope that they stop using their motto of “fair and balanced”. If they are going to use that slogan, they need to actually BE fair and balanced.

Jodella on July 3, 2008 at 8:24 AM

How juvenile! I’ve already stopped trusting Fox. Their recent coverage of the FDLS debacle in Texas was atrocious. At the YMCA, I can view side-by-side TVs of Fox and CNN and there’s very little difference. If I want news, I stick with online sources: Hot Air, Michelle Malkin, Bookworm Room, The Anchoress, Stop the ACLU, Right Wing News, and Libertas.

Mrs. Happy Housewife on July 3, 2008 at 8:24 AM

This is NOT Fow News, guys.

drjohn on July 3, 2008 at 8:21 AM

Sorry but this was on Fox and Friends which IS FOX NEWS! Conservatives can’t defend the same stuff that liberals do and then complain when liberals do it! It isn’t serious journalism and the American people deserve better from our news organizations and our pols and we are getting nothing from either currently!

sabbott on July 3, 2008 at 8:34 AM

sabbott on July 3, 2008 at 8:34 AM

Here, here! Between this and the “baby mama” debacle a few weeks back on Fox & Friends, it seems to me that they need to fire some producers or copy editors or whoever is in charge of such matters. It is unprofessional and unbecoming of a network that truly is “fair & balanced.”

Outlander on July 3, 2008 at 8:47 AM

It looks like a gag to me. They took these heads and made the attack dog joke as well. I realize there is no reason to give Media Matters any more ammo – even as a joke. Perhaps they should have admitted the faux-tography but who really cares. This is a non-issue.

woodman on July 3, 2008 at 8:48 AM

What’s good for the goose is good for the gander. Who is allahpundit anyway, some sort of god?

apoole on July 3, 2008 at 9:02 AM

This is just a physical manifestation of how the right has been painting a distorted picture of the NYTimes for years. It’s on par with the typical Ed post on the paper.

Tom_Shipley on July 3, 2008 at 9:10 AM

This reminds me of the way Republican politicians get in trouble by forgetting the rules are different for them, letting their hair down, and incinerating their careers by squawking “macaca.” If you’re Fox News, you don’t get to make silly mistakes, take cheap shots, or mock up photographs to slam people you don’t like. It doesn’t change what your enemies say about you, but it changes what your friends think of you, and the leftist media only needs one weak spot to land a crippling blow.

Doctor Zero on July 3, 2008 at 9:11 AM

A cheap graphics morphing program does that. They should have been less subtle and given them big giant ears or something. I do note, however, that Steinbergs hairline advanced while Reddicliffes receeded. Sort of the ‘conservation of forehead space’ principle of journalistic integrity.

percysunshine on July 3, 2008 at 9:17 AM

OMG, what’s next? Fake war photos? Fake birth certificates? Fake National Guard memos?

faraway on July 3, 2008 at 9:25 AM

I can’t get worked up over this. I remember Condi’s picture, Obama’s picture, and a whole host of other pictures that the left doctored, on issues that were more important than this and the silence from the left was deafening. Don’t care.

Sue on July 3, 2008 at 9:26 AM

And you know what’s just as bad as altering the photos, is what they said. They don’t say why they think the story in question was a “hit piece” or why it was unfair or untrue in anyway. They just cite some Web site saying he has a axe to grind, make derogatory remarks about these guys and show photoshopped images of them.

Further proof that the “fair and balanced” tagline is Onion level parody.

Tom_Shipley on July 3, 2008 at 9:27 AM

Tom, You’re right. Send the Fox folks to the Reuters indoctrination camp straight away.

faraway on July 3, 2008 at 9:29 AM

Ah, the further declination of media.

Honestly, I could care less. It would just be nice to have a news source I could respect as opposed to not being surprised by their pettiness.

And it’s really not a matter of giving Media Matters and C&L more ammo (they’ll just make it up if you don’t anyway), it’s just a matter of being respectable. Seems like that’s a sensibility that’s lost these days.

SouthernDem on July 3, 2008 at 9:30 AM

Watching Fox and Friends for the first time in a year. Great show.

Thanks for this thread.

WoosterOh on July 3, 2008 at 6:43 AM

Yeah if you like girlie men and one ugly ex beauty queen…LOL.

AprilOrit on July 3, 2008 at 9:31 AM

April, you and I agree. I knew it would happen one day.

faraway on July 3, 2008 at 9:34 AM

At the end of the video you notice they are making fun of them. One dressed as a poodle. I think it was meant as a joke.

roux on July 3, 2008 at 9:38 AM

Sue on July 3, 2008 at 9:26 AM

Agreed.

whitetop on July 3, 2008 at 9:41 AM

Rude.

And Fox claims the moral media high ground?

And I like Fox, at least I did.

{sigh}

Lawrence on July 3, 2008 at 9:54 AM

For those that don’t get it. They’re jerking NYT’s chain. They got hit and they’re hitting back.
MirCat on July 3, 2008 at 12:42 AM

Absolutely.

They may have a similar political philosophy to mine, but I can’t use that as an excuse to defend their methods.
Gartrip on July 3, 2008 at 6:40 AM

Their “methods?” It’s an entertainment and gossip show, not a hard news broadcast. Fox has been pummeled from the liberals in the media for years, and they splash back a little of the tons of dirt they have been on the recieving end, and by some people’s account, this is their ultimate undoing. Jesus Christ, its like there is a direct link to the hotair comment registration page on the huffington post – with all of the asinine comments that we’ve been getting here.

wise_man on July 3, 2008 at 10:02 AM

Time magazine did it to Coulter and Limbaugh. A little payback?

The leftist networks are always distorting conservatives quotes, so whats the big deal about distorting their pics?

It’s hillarious.

roninacreage on July 3, 2008 at 10:14 AM

I’m no fan of Fox and Friends but I think the photoshopping was suppose to be obvious. What gave it away was Steinberg’s face photoshopped onto the poodle body.

Maxx on July 3, 2008 at 10:23 AM

FNC is no longer watchable. Sleazy tabloid content, lousy production engineering, mindless drums playing in the background. They fired Laurie Dhue and Eric Burns, but kept the ever-unctuous Revulto Herrera and that pompous ass O’Reilly. Now this.

glockman on July 3, 2008 at 10:43 AM

Alas, it would appear so.

“Alas”? “ALAS”? After everything those pigs have done to our side in their snotty paper, a little Burn Tool around the eyes and cheeks of their pictures should be the least of their worries.

As they say, the aggressor sets the rules in warfare, and They started it; what’s good for the goose is good for the gander. God bless Fox.

Spanglemaker on July 3, 2008 at 10:47 AM

Like the involuntary urge to sneeze, collie feels a Lloyd Bentsen moment washing over him. Collie says:

I know attack dogs. Attack dogs are friends of mine. THAT, sir, is NO attack dog.

I can’t say that I am the least bit surprised. At the outset, Fox News was a splendid example of Newton’s Third Law — but very few businesses can withstand the ravages of success. Fox News is no exception. The decline of that organization was inevitable the moment that they became the 24-hour news outlet with the highest Nielsen ratings. Furthermore, now that their credibility is in the toilet, things will only get worse from this point forward. Their entire broadcast schedule will become “1/2 Hour News Hour.”

Think about their core constituency for a minute. Bill O’Reilly is a cranky, senile buffoon. His next of kin should put him in a convalescent home. Geraldo Rivera should be in prison. He’s a shameless repeat offender. Greta Van Sustern should have stuck with the legal profession. On the Record is so totally vacuous that even The National Enquirer is envious. And let’s face it, Hannity and Colmes should be members of a work crew on a solid waste disposal truck. Shep Smith should be selling used cars.

Anyone still want to argue with me when I say things like “Get a clue. It’s ALL tabloid journalism.”? After all, it was never really ABOUT the news in the first place. It’s ALWAYS been about the money.

My collie says:

It would have been funnier if they had borrowed that Bill Murray line from Ghostbusters — “Okay. So he’s a dog.”

CyberCipher on July 3, 2008 at 10:48 AM

I just spent a few moments looking at a few liberal blogs to see if anyone had made comments along the lines of “Keith Olbermann on Countdown is unwatchable” or “How juvenile! I’ve already stopped trusting MSNBC!” or the like due to the left’s disgusting and extremely poor ‘journalistic’ practices. Oddly enough, there aren’t any.

I find that very strange, indeed. Quite queer, in fact.

wise_man on July 3, 2008 at 10:52 AM

wise_man,

I don’t expect anything from MSNBC. Their lack of objectivity is totally laughable IMO. However, I do expect more from Fox.

I have no other sources for conservative/somewhat objective news on TV, so I was hoping they would hold themselves to a higher standard than their liberal counterparts. That’s all.

Jodella on July 3, 2008 at 11:40 AM

It’s too bad when their morning news commentary and gossip show talks about the people who are attacking them, and they place their heads onto a photo of a poodle …. that this is something that you think is a lower standard for the entire news organization.

wise_man on July 3, 2008 at 11:44 AM

Not very balanced. They should be better than that, but then again, it is Fox and Friends, not a real news show in my opinion.

If anyone has a good suggestion for a good morning news show, I’d love to hear it.

sheesh on July 3, 2008 at 12:12 PM

You call that ugly?

entagor on July 3, 2008 at 1:36 PM

glockman on July 3, 2008 at 10:43 AM

Well what do you expect? Rupert Murdoch is an idiot, look at how sleazy his papers are, they are all tabloids.

AprilOrit on July 3, 2008 at 9:56 PM

sheesh on July 3, 2008 at 12:12 PM

When you hear one, let me know.

AprilOrit on July 3, 2008 at 9:57 PM

Fox used to act like they respected their audience and believed we had some intelligence. Now I’m getting the distinct impression that the Powers That Be at FNC have bought into the meme that conservatives are all feckless rubes too dumb to wipe our own bottoms if a pastor or Rush Limbaugh doesn’t tell us to. They think we’re dumb enough to either buy these images as real or to think they’re funny. And they’ll also think we’re dumb enough to think they’re telling the truth tomorrow when they claim it was some intern’s “mistake.”

BINGO. This is the funny thing. Conservatives have, historically, defended FOX as some kind of antidote to the ‘liberal media’–but, the sad fact is, they are possibly the most cynical organization in TV news.

Grow Fins on July 4, 2008 at 12:48 AM

pathetic
unprofessional
cheesy
rude
outrageous
immature
indefensible

etc

etc

etc

next.

Dave Rywall on July 4, 2008 at 9:32 AM

After Rush Limbaugh’s well-earned bonus was announced, he joked about buying CNBC and running the network right. Of course it was a joke pointed at CNBC about asking if Rush was worth it.
If Fox does not improve, Rush might be able to make life imitate humor while making loads of money doing what he loves. Imagine CNBC as the conservative network liberals fear and loathe for telling the truth in an entertaining way!
Of course, Rush would (hopefully) note the parodies and not base news stories on them, like the Obama-stream Media.

Right_of_Attila on July 4, 2008 at 10:14 AM

With the career prospects what they are at the Old School Media, I doubt they had to doctor up too much. Those guys are hurting. The smart ones retired 3 years ago.

pc on July 4, 2008 at 2:36 PM

Bad move tactically. But the opposition is even worse.

“Extremism in the defense of liberty is no vice.” Whatever it takes, man. Whatever it takes.

Tommygun on July 4, 2008 at 3:17 PM

Right_of_Attila on July 4, 2008 at 10:14 AM

Rush Limbaugh – with that salary he’s what I have been syaing he is all along – a real elitist.

Grow Fins on July 4, 2008 at 12:48 AM

The problem is – Murdoch and Ailes are true elistist Country Club Republican types who broadbrush all of you middle American Republicans as a bunch of ignornant hillbillies who believe whatever you are told. Karl Rove is and does the same thing.

This is what I meant when Bill Cunningham started with the middle name crap – he did that based on the assumption that all of you GOPers living in fly over zone are stupid and will automatically bite the gullible dumbass bullet and believe Obama is a Muslim.

It’s about time the powers that be in this party, whether it be pundits or the Conservative media – stop broad brushing everyone stupid.

AprilOrit on July 5, 2008 at 1:01 PM

What a joke.

You’re completely devoid of logic. And your characterizations of Murdoch and Rove is equally stupid.

wise_man on July 5, 2008 at 4:01 PM

What a lovely display of prejudice. No criticism of behavior, no criticism of intellect, no indeed! To you he is an elitist because he is highly paid. Congratulations on your well thought out views. I would suggest you pat yourself on the back, but I fear you’d break your arm.

Spirit of 1776 on July 5, 2008 at 7:36 PM

What a joke.

wise_man on July 5, 2008 at 4:01 PM

Spirit of 1776 on July 5, 2008 at 7:36 PM

He is an elitist not only because he is highly paid but more so by the way he was raised. Rove I could be wrong, he did not grow up affluently, so I will take that back. Murdoch did though.

AprilOrit on July 5, 2008 at 10:11 PM

I’ll pat myself on the back anyway, it isn’t everyday I can gaze on Rush groupies who love their man with such adoration.

AprilOrit on July 5, 2008 at 10:14 PM

I don’t even listen to him, I just think criticism of people with money because they have money is kind of short-sighted. It’s their attitude toward life and they way they use their money that would seem to be a better indicator of their quality.

Spirit of 1776 on July 6, 2008 at 12:03 AM