Wes Clark: McCain’s a hero, but I’m not sorry for what I said

posted at 9:00 pm on June 30, 2008 by Allahpundit

I guess he felt he had to elaborate on that Facebook status update.

There are many important issues in this Presidential election, clearly one of the most important issues is national security and keeping the American people safe. In my opinion, protecting the American people is the most important duty of our next President. I have made comments in the past about John McCain’s service and I want to reiterate them in order be crystal clear. As I have said before I honor John McCain’s service as a prisoner of war and a Vietnam Veteran. He was a hero to me and to hundreds of thousands and millions of others in Armed Forces as a prisoner of war. I would never dishonor the service of someone who chose to wear the uniform for our nation.

John McCain is running his campaign on his experience and how his experience would benefit him and our nation as President. That experience shows courage and commitment to our country – but it doesn’t include executive experience wrestling with national policy or go-to-war decisions. And in this area his judgment has been flawed – he not only supported going into a war we didn’t have to fight in Iraq, but has time and again undervalued other, non-military elements of national power that must be used effectively to protect America. But as an American and former military officer I will not back down if I believe someone doesn’t have sound judgment when it comes to our nation’s most critical issues.

The more I re-read this and the transcript of what he said on Face the Nation, the more mystifying it is — not because it’s offensive or even controversial (although the insinuation that anyone who hasn’t “ordered the bombs to fall” doesn’t understand the gravity of war is mighty rich vis-a-vis a POW), but because it’s so lame. His point is simply that being bastinadoed by enemy agents won’t inculcate any finer appreciation for the nuances of geopolitical strategy. Er, true enough, except (a) the power of McCain’s Vietnam experience is in its testament to his character, not his mad foreign policy skillz, and (b) no one who supports a guy who cites a few weeks spent in Pakistan on a college trip as a serious policy credential should be raising the subject of executive qualifications with a straight face. As it is, consider this an analog to Rand Beers’s apparent any-weapon-to-hand critique of POW McCain earlier today: Any politically saleable negative spin they can put on his heroism is fair game, even one so inane as to force a comparison between his and Obama’s comparative legislative experience. Exit question: Speaking of flawed judgments, how’s Clark to going to spin it when Obama eventually decides that the surge wasn’t a disaster after all?

Comments

Gen. Wussley Clark doesn’t back down, no, Sir!

Entelechy on June 30, 2008 at 9:03 PM

Hey charlie,Wesley wants to apologize!

Oh Boy,Oh Boy what!

Oh Boy,too late,we already threw Wesley
under da bus! haha:)

canopfor on June 30, 2008 at 9:07 PM

Remember Wes…there’s always room under the Obama bus, my friend…always room.

AUINSC on June 30, 2008 at 9:07 PM

Didn’t Wesley learn the First Rule of Holes at West Point? Yet he keeps on digging…

Wethal on June 30, 2008 at 9:08 PM

Clark was just on the Dan Abrams show – even Abrams looked at this idjit in disbelief!

UNDER THE BUS WES! NOW!!!

iam7545 on June 30, 2008 at 9:08 PM

Weasels are indignant today.

There are real men, and there are Clarks of the world. This guy was in insubordination and got his ars kicked out of the service. Plus he just looks and moves weasely. Never mind when he opens his mouth. Ping pong balls for cojones!

Entelechy on June 30, 2008 at 9:10 PM

Remember Wes…there’s always room under the Obama bus, my friend…always room.

AUINSC on June 30, 2008 at 9:07 PM

Yeah, but it’s gotta be getting kinda crowded under there…

uncivilized on June 30, 2008 at 9:10 PM

The Gen comes out looking the fool now no matter what he says. Obama is not ready nor will he be ready to be CIC anytime soon. Clark’s argument only brought into focus this fact hurt Barry if anyone took the time to listen.

I am still in amazement how Barry got this far. Are the Dems that stupid as to think he is going to CHANGE the way the world sees us?

TroubledMonkey on June 30, 2008 at 9:11 PM

I don’t believe the latest dem talking points headed by Clark to be targeting JM’s executive skills as much as it is an attempt to discredit JM’s correct evaluation and implementation of the surge. JM’s correct diagnosis and political risk taken in his endorssement is kryptonite to the dems, especially Obama.

swami on June 30, 2008 at 9:11 PM

McCain’s a hero but Obama has 1)Strength of character 2. Strength of judgment and 3) Strength of Communication Skills!
Hard to touch that.

carbon_footprint on June 30, 2008 at 9:11 PM

Gen. Wussley Clark doesn’t back done,no Sir!

Entelechy on June 30,2008 at 9:03PM.

Entelechy: This sounds like a music ditty is needed for
this theme!

Tom Petty’s I won’t back down! haha. :)

canopfor on June 30, 2008 at 9:11 PM

Also must add that Obama was a COMMUNITY ORGANIZER or whatever the hell he calls it and McCain has only “rode in a plane”.

carbon_footprint on June 30, 2008 at 9:14 PM

As far as Wesley’s criteria go, Obama doesn’t meet them either. Obama has not made “flawed decisions” on national policy and going into war. He’s made none at all. There is no basis for trusting Obama’s judgment. With what “non-military elements of national power” does the Community Organizer have experience?

Obama isn’t fit to command a squad, yet he’s qualified to be Commander in Chief?

Wethal on June 30, 2008 at 9:14 PM

Wes Clark is a not a moral person. He is a sham of a man. I don’t trust anything he says.

aengus on June 30, 2008 at 9:15 PM

I remember reading a column from a up-to-then supporter of Wesley Clark last election (paraphrasing): “He takes the stage with Michael Moore. Mr. Moore calls the President a “murderer” and a “traitor”. General Clark could have taken the high road and garnered additional votes by saying “now, wait a minute, I don’t agree with the President, but…” but instead Wesley stands perfectly silent grinning from ear to ear like a colossal ninny.”

Marcus on June 30, 2008 at 9:16 PM

Obama also has a sort of cool look to him.

Good enough for me, screw that overrated experience crap.

Bishop on June 30, 2008 at 9:16 PM

When in a hole, first stop digging.

Murphy9 on June 30, 2008 at 9:16 PM

amazing just how stupid the Dems are

jp on June 30, 2008 at 9:17 PM

Keep it up dems
Keep repeating this, reminding the American people that we are at war and the choice is between obambi and McCain.
Denigrating, or seeming to denigrate McCains service will be looked upon with disgust by a majority of Americans. And they will blame the bam.
Bwahahaha

ArmyAunt on June 30, 2008 at 9:18 PM

I’m glad Clark isn’t apologizing. The story goes on this way and it does nothing to help Obama. Now, tell me again who Clark was supporting before she suspended her campaign?

Sue on June 30, 2008 at 9:19 PM

Gen. Wussley Clark doesn’t back down, no, Sir!

Entelechy on June 30, 2008 at 9:03 PM

Man who take tiger by tail have trouble letting go.

Murphy9 on June 30, 2008 at 9:19 PM

Clark and McPeak: Osama‘s Obama’s military advisors. Nuff said.

Dingbat63 on June 30, 2008 at 9:20 PM

General “Ashley Wilkes” Clark is a low rent slug. We should not expect honorable acts from one such as him.

Zorro on June 30, 2008 at 9:21 PM

The Gen comes out looking the fool now no matter what he says.

TroubledMonkey on June 30, 2008 at 9:11 PM

Great ideas are seldom remembered and dumb things are never forgotten.

Murphy9 on June 30, 2008 at 9:22 PM

I’m surprised Hillary hasn’t weighed in publicly or tried to pull her boy Wes back privately. She and McCain are friends, and junketed together and even tossed back shots of vodka together, I believe.

I do hope Wesley campaigns for Obama in Eastern Virginia, Florida, North and South Carolina. Hey, Texas, too..

Wethal on June 30, 2008 at 9:24 PM

Hey- winemkr…give it a rest…

twiggman on June 30, 2008 at 9:24 PM

Oh Boy,too late,we already threw Wesley
under da bus! haha:)

canopfor on June 30, 2008 at 9:07 PM

The probability of being observed is in direct proportion to the stupidity of ones actions.

Murphy9 on June 30, 2008 at 9:24 PM

winemkr on June 30, 2008 at 9:10 PM

Just curious…why did you post this 3 times? I have my suspicions.

AUINSC on June 30, 2008 at 9:25 PM

Hey- winemkr…give it a rest…

twiggman on June 30, 2008 at 9:24 PM

Its never so bad it couldn’t be worse.

Murphy9 on June 30, 2008 at 9:25 PM

…still a moron. he makes it worse every time he opens his mouth.

becki51758 on June 30, 2008 at 9:26 PM

I smell a VP candidate for Obama.

jencab on June 30, 2008 at 9:27 PM

Murphy9..I hear you !!!

twiggman on June 30, 2008 at 9:27 PM

Weasels are indignant today.

Entelechy on June 30,2008 at 9:10PM.

Entelechy:Special Forces Capt.Ivan Castro,your right,
this guy has an unbelievable amount of guts
and courage!

Hey,ping pong balls are fairly big!haha:).

canopfor on June 30, 2008 at 9:28 PM

amazing just how stupid the Dems are

jp on June 30, 2008 at 9:17 PM

The big catastrophes are made up of smaller ones.

Murphy9 on June 30, 2008 at 9:29 PM

winemkr on June 30, 2008 at 9:10 PM

Just curious…why did you post this 3 times? I have my suspicions.

AUINSC on June 30, 2008 at 9:25 PM

I didn’t post anything 3 times. Read the posts and consider the national security implications of a nation at war…

Yesterday and today.

winemkr on June 30, 2008 at 9:33 PM

Clark’s Facebook site deserves to be hacked right out of existence!

pilamaye on June 30, 2008 at 9:36 PM

Character is such a foreign entity to men like Clark…he does not recognize it nor does he possess it.

d1carter on June 30, 2008 at 9:36 PM

Murphy9, you’re on a roll! Thanks for the laughs.

Hey- winemkr…give it a rest…

twiggman on June 30, 2008 at 9:24 PM

Nah, just provide links, instead of the entire text. You make an excellent wake-up call to a slumbering nation in times of peril.

Entelechy on June 30, 2008 at 9:37 PM

winemkr — This is not a bulletin board. Stop pasting long excerpts of things.

Allahpundit on June 30, 2008 at 9:37 PM

Yesterday and today.

winemkr on June 30, 2008 at 9:33 PM

You are right..but, how ’bout linking next time. Splattering that much cut-n-paste text on a thread is annoying…and not terribly relavent text at that..IMHO..

AUINSC on June 30, 2008 at 9:38 PM

Clark’s Facebook site deserves to be hacked right out of existence!

pilamaye on June 30, 2008 at 9:36 PM

Why? The world needs to see more of this wuss. How any politician, wishing to win, even remotely thinks of associating with him is beyond clueless.

Entelechy on June 30, 2008 at 9:39 PM

No, Clark’s Facebook shouldn’t be hacked, his words are nothing but danger to the Osama campaign. Besides, as much of a retard as Clark is, censorship is done by liberals, not us.

Bishop on June 30, 2008 at 9:40 PM

Via NRO’s “The Corner” is a link to Obama’s new campaign bus. It ought to do plenty of damage to those tossed overboard.

onlineanalyst on June 30, 2008 at 9:42 PM

here is a headline for you AP, Democrat officials in Durham Country(Mike Nifong’s stomping grounds) accussed of Satanic Rituals

maybe the Dem stupidity is explained, their Satanic? ha

jp on June 30, 2008 at 9:43 PM

You know, General Clark, during his tenure as Supreme Allied Commander of Nato, truly went beyond the stated UN Security Council’s decision regarding Yugoslavia.

He dropped bombs when the resolution called for a cessation of military activities.

Prior to this, he met with a Ratco Mladic, a Bosnian leader later convicted of war crimes.

And he has the nerve to talk about decision making

TexasDude on June 30, 2008 at 9:44 PM

This question may have been asked and anwered but if McCain isn’t equipped to make decisions about war, Who on earth is?

Is Clark saying that Excutive types should decide when to drop bombs?

Don’t all presidents rely on their military advisors and then make a decision?
At least McCain’s decision would be based on first hand experience with war.

AnthonyK on June 30, 2008 at 9:44 PM

Clark’s Facebook site deserves to be hacked right out of existence!

That would be illegal. Let idiots expose themselves I say.

aengus on June 30, 2008 at 9:45 PM

Wes Clark = Political Hack

Seven Percent Solution on June 30, 2008 at 9:46 PM

Sick.

aengus on June 30, 2008 at 9:47 PM

Hey- winemkr…give it a rest…

twiggman on June 30, 2008 at 9:24 PM

Hey twiggman, read the posts and then ask yourself why we are going to go through a dramatic de evolution if BO is elected.

The United States of America is strong because we despise war but we will kick anyones ass that threatens our way of life.

We are a nation that loves liberty and justice and the rest of the world has prospered on our willingness to defend our ideals.

That includes a willingness to die for our allies because we understand that the world must have stability.

The most powerful nation on earth must continuously sacrifice in order prosper.

The democrats don’t have a clue about the real world and they are praying for an economic disaster and a bitter war defeat.

I love my country another way. I want success regardless of who or what is in power.

Tell someone else to give it a rest.

Your preaching to the wrong choir.

Semper Fi Maggot

winemkr out

winemkr on June 30, 2008 at 9:51 PM

Murphy9, you’re on a roll! Thanks for the laughs.

Entelechy on June 30, 2008 at 9:37 PM

If it looks good,
And it taste good,
And it feels good,
There has got to be something wrong some where,
So be careful.

Murphy9 on June 30, 2008 at 9:51 PM

…but it doesn’t include executive experience wrestling with national policy or go-to-war decisions.

And who besides a President does have executive experience wresting with go-to-war decisions?

What a tool. I wonder if he realizes that he’s creating a huge opening for McCain’s campaign to remind people of his own service and experience and compare it to the complete lack of it Obama possesses.

Hollowpoint on June 30, 2008 at 9:52 PM

jp on June 30, 2008 at 9:43 PM

Well they are making progress anyway.

Murphy9 on June 30, 2008 at 9:54 PM

Somebody correct me if I am wrong, but using Clark’s analysis, we have never had a “qualified” President. You can never get the “go-to-war” decision making experience until you become President. Madison, Taylor, Lincoln, Wilson, Roosevelt, Kennedy, Johnson, Bush (Sr. and Jr.) and others that I have left out made the call without prior experience making the call for war.

Claimsratt on June 30, 2008 at 9:55 PM

Keep digging, Clark. Maybe he’ll hit China once he’s done.

mjk on June 30, 2008 at 9:57 PM

winemkr — This is not a bulletin board. Stop pasting long excerpts of things.

Allahpundit on June 30, 2008 at 9:37 PM

Aye Aye Sir.

BTW

Thanks for your website.

Semper Fi my friend

winemkr on June 30, 2008 at 9:58 PM

Dear General:

I read your comments on Senator’s McCain’s foreign policy experience this morning. I respond not only because I feel it entirely inappropriate that the most ineffectual senior (American) military officer of the twentieth century would stoop so low as to attack a fellow American who has actually shown courage under trying circumstances, but also because of the great irony of one criticizing Senator McCain’s inexperience while shrilling for Senator Obama, a man who has less foreign policy experience than the Marine OIC of any embassy detail around the world. Of course, such a Marine OIC has more command ability and moral fortitude than you yourself, so the stupidity of yesterday’s statements is entirely unsurprising.

hpnq420 on June 30, 2008 at 10:05 PM

What Osama Obama’s refusal to rein in Weaselly Clark tells me is the same think his refusal to disavow William Ayers tells me: he agrees with both men.

The Messiah’s lack of cojones when called on the more disagreeable aspects of those around him (when he’s called on anything at all, which is seldom) suggests he will be an easy mark for the thugs of the world.

And you know damn well he would have caved immediately if subjected to the treatment McCain received in Vietnam.

MrScribbler on June 30, 2008 at 10:10 PM

Wes Clark: McCain’s a hero, but I’m not sorry for what I said

Ah Wesley, you’re just a BIG D**KHEAD, and BIGGER DemOrat A$$HOLE. And I’m not sorry for what I said either!

byteshredder on June 30, 2008 at 10:12 PM

I find it troubling – deeply – that Clark managed to reach the highest echelons of power within the Army.

Professor Blather on June 30, 2008 at 10:13 PM

Hey winemkr when allalpundit says’s give it a rest he gets Semper Fi my friend And I get Semper Fi Maggot… HMMMMM…Nice

twiggman on June 30, 2008 at 10:15 PM

We can always count on Mr. Clark to make a talkshow appearance or write a book during an election cycle.

I refuse to call the man “General” Clark. He’s Mr. Clark to me. And that’s a stretch. He should just run for office as a Democrat and be done with it.

Dave Shay on June 30, 2008 at 10:20 PM

And the threat posed by Bosnia is? Did we have a cease fire agreement with Bosnia? No. Then why was it we took hostile action? Wesley Clark was removed from command. That is a career ender in the Army.

Zelsdorf Ragshaft on June 30, 2008 at 10:22 PM

clark is a tool

custer on June 30, 2008 at 10:30 PM

Hey B Hussein Obama!!!!! Show me who you walk with, and I’ll show you who you are!…… maggot!

MNDavenotPC on June 30, 2008 at 10:35 PM

Ping pong balls for cojones!

Entelechy on June 30, 2008 at 9:10 PM

It must be the Year of the Girly Man or something.

baldilocks on June 30, 2008 at 10:35 PM

Oh “maggot” is a loving term so used in the Corps!

MNDavenotPC on June 30, 2008 at 10:35 PM

I have said it before and I’ll say it yet again. Why does anyone trust the Foriegn Policy credentials of the man who almost started WW3 in a Pristina airport?

Dawnsblood on June 30, 2008 at 10:37 PM

Clark is a left wing shill and a certified idiot. Although I must admit he fits in quite nicely with Obama.

rplat on June 30, 2008 at 10:43 PM

A four-star General with a Facebook page?

Well, that seals his “credibility” status for us.

Conservative_SAHM on June 30, 2008 at 10:59 PM

It must be the Year of Girly man or something.

baldilocks on June 30,2008 at 10:35PM.

baldilocks:You be nice,I used to be a Powerlifter!
:) :) :) :).

canopfor on June 30, 2008 at 11:06 PM

This Wesley Clark???

Talon on June 30, 2008 at 11:48 PM

He should just run for office as a Democrat and be done with it.

Dave Shay on June 30, 2008 at 10:20 PM

Dude, are you kidding? He’s been trying so hard it hurts. He thinks he is qualified to be President…

Jaibones on July 1, 2008 at 12:11 AM

That’s it, Obama, keep surrounding yourself with nutjobs like Wright, Fleger and Wesley Clark and the election is as good as ours!

Go Obama! Keep it up! Don’t stop… more great soundbytes to damage your campaign, please!

Amy Proctor on July 1, 2008 at 12:14 AM

Little rascals.

labrat on July 1, 2008 at 12:24 AM

While John McCain was collecting government pay for doing nothing for 5 years in Hanoi, Barack H. Obama was winning penmanship contests at P.S. 43 in Honolulu. (Or was it Koran recitation fetes at a madrassa in Indonesia?)

Either way, Barry was earning his keep, unlike that slacker McCain.

Clark is as good a judge of character as a leech is of ankles.

profitsbeard on July 1, 2008 at 1:07 AM

Wes Clark, Pentagon Palace Prince. Soon to be Undercarriage Inspector of Buses. Was he planning on getting a job with the Obamassiah?

GarandFan on July 1, 2008 at 1:32 AM

Wes Clark = Stupid, stuck on stupid.

Mallard T. Drake on July 1, 2008 at 1:42 AM

“Bus driver, MOVE THAT BUS!….onto General Clark.” /Ty

Black Adam on July 1, 2008 at 2:03 AM

It was Clark who ordered British General Michael Jackson to attack the Russians at Pristina airport, Kosovo in 1999.
Jackson told Clark “I’m not going to start the third world war for you.”

infidel65 on July 1, 2008 at 4:51 AM

By God this jackass should know about sound judgement, because he lacks it completely. Clark is a narcissistic left wing shill and isn’t fit to carry water for McCain.

rplat on July 1, 2008 at 6:59 AM

I honor John McCain’s service as a prisoner of war and a Vietnam Veteran.

All the liberals start out this way and it’s always, always followed by “BUT”. That cancels everything said previously. There is no honor among thieves or socialists. They give McCain no honor for his military service because for most of them military services is anathema (just checkout what Sweet Willy Clinton said about the military). I’ll never understand veterans who rally behind the socialists, especially the VFW and members of the American Legion.

abcurtis on July 1, 2008 at 9:09 AM

If you read Wesley Clark’s book that he wrote before he ran disastrously for president in 2004, you will see how antiIsrael the guy is. He subscribes to the Jimmy Carter school of MidEast politics. The MSM won’t mention how Clark is a big antiIsrael guy and he gets money from George Soros. BTW, Obama refused to say that McCain was tortured in North VietNam. Obama would only say that McCain was subjected to “physical torment”. Obama is the former editor of the Harvard Law Review and he chooses his words carefully. He deliberately chose to use the word “torment” instead of “torture”. Obama had two reasons for this. First, his left wing friends like Jane Fonda refuse to admit that the North VietNamese engaged in torture of American POWS. Second, Obama does not want to give McCain the real credit he deserves for suffering through years of torture. Obama and Clark can have each other. Both have been endorsed by Tom Brokaw and other saps but they are both imbeciles.

Larraby on July 1, 2008 at 9:34 AM

Clark, Obama’s mercenary, unleashed their dastardly unprovoked attack, another perfidious piece of chicanery for which they are so infamous.

I just love reading history!
Kudos: Admiral James O. Richardson

maverick muse on July 1, 2008 at 9:55 AM

Just for an additional comment read:

He states that nothing gets done by the minions in obama’s camp except with their permission, talking points etc.

How in the world did we ever have such a jerk leading our men and women in uniform? It would’ve been interesting to see how he could’ve withstood what mccain did. Not a chance! He would’ve given them anything they wanted before they touched his pretty hair.

Bambi on July 1, 2008 at 10:07 AM

Clark, Obama’s mercenary, unleashed their dastardly unprovoked attack, another perfidious piece of chicanery for which they are so infamous… maverick muse on July 1, 2008 at 9:55 AM

How’s that again…?

McCain Launches “Truth Squad” With Swift Boat Vet

“…The irony of it all… is that McCain publicly deplored the Swift Boat ads back in 2004, saying they were reminiscent of the smear campaigns launched against him during his initial White House run in 2000…

I know…that’s just the maverick rearing his unpredictable, irascible, thought process again. Where the hell is Holy Joe when he’s needed; like during the pressers in Iraq ?

The Maverick needs his Minder…!

J_Gocht on July 1, 2008 at 10:35 AM

what a putz.
like murtha, clark joins past servicemen who lost their way
(or more likely, never had it).

jimmer on July 1, 2008 at 10:46 AM

Zorro on June 30, 2008 at 9:21 PM

Someone suggested he be referred to as Wesley “Courtenay Massengale” Clark

Domino on July 1, 2008 at 10:50 AM

Clark’s an IDIOT, and I am not sorry for saying that!!

gboy63 on July 1, 2008 at 1:28 PM