Politico: Romney currently McCain’s top choice for VP

posted at 12:07 pm on June 30, 2008 by Allahpundit

After six posts on this subject, I’m plum out of things to say. Well, almost.

Surprising many Republican insiders, Mitt Romney is at the top of the vice-presidential prospect list for Sen. John McCain (R-Ariz.). But lack of personal chemistry could derail the pick…

Campaign insiders say McCain plans to name his running mate very shortly after Sen. Barack Obama (D-Ill.) does, as part of what one campaign planner called a “bounce-mitigation strategy.”…

One of the chief reasons the Massachusetts governor is looking so attractive is his ability to raise huge amounts of money quickly through his former business partners and from fellow members of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, the Mormons.

McCain sources tell Politico that they believe Romney could raise $50 million in 60 days. One close Romney adviser said it could even be $60 million…

But there’s one big problem: Despite the buddy-picture choreography of a McCain-Romney campaign swing, McCain remains far short of enamored of Romney.

Supposedly Rob Portman and John Thune are the leading alternatives, although I don’t see how naming Portman would produce any “bounce-mitigation” from Obama’s VP pick since most conservatives couldn’t pick him out of a lineup. (As for Jindal, “insiders” evidently think his youth would backfire by making McCain look older by comparison, a point I’ve made before here.) Hugh Hewitt makes a good point too in arguing that if you want Mitt out there raising money — most or all of which would presumably go to the RNC, since McCain’s going to take public financing — then it makes no sense to wait until Obama makes his own VP pick. Tap Romney now and let him hit the trail as the newly crowned heir apparent. The fact that McCain wants to wait makes me wonder if I wasn’t right in this post in thinking that the two candidates are waiting to see if either will put a woman on the ticket to make a play for Hillary supporters. If Obama names Sebelius, McCain may feel he has no choice but to name Palin and break the “old white guy” monopoly on the GOP.

The only really surprising thing about this is that it’s now two months after Bob Novak first reported that Romney was the top choice, and he’s still the top choice — even after the strain on McCain’s relationship with evangelicals from his repudiation of Hagee and Parsley in May and the renewed outreach to social cons that began last week. Needless to say, for reasons legitimate and not so legitimate, Mitt isn’t necessarily the guy to get pro-life Christians fired up to turn out in the fall.

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2

Personally, I’ve figured it would be Mitt all along, just because I think they cut a deal back when Mitt dropped out.

I’m not quite sure just how two white guys is going to play against Hopenchange, but someone–some-freakingone–has got to slowly and deliberately and with feeling explain capitalism to the electorate this go around.

I kind of like the phrase–that I think I coined–’We need to rebuild our energy infrastructure’, and we need someone to say how taxing the very people who built it and have run it all these years ain’t gonna work.

That message gets out and it’s over.

And while I’m in the Palin camp, I have on occasion found myself listening to Barry and thinking Mitt could have made him sound the fool.

Typhoon on June 30, 2008 at 2:24 PM

Michelle stomped her foot down vs. Hillary VP on bobama’s ticket. Did Cindy put her foot down on a Palin VP? Nah, seriously doubtful that Cindy suffers from ANY insecurity with her man; she’s not only fetchingly good looking (and wealthy) but smart and experienced in politics! If McCain passes Palin by, its not going to be anti-Palin but pro-whomever he chooses.

Each time Romney’s name floats by politically benefits both Romney and McCain at this point. Romney has his Gov. Executive experience and economic smarts to bouy McCain.

Funny, between Romney and Palin, McCain would be choosing between a VP who starkly contrasts with himself domestically on national security; either Romney re: illegal aliens vs. financial security of jobs and tax benefits prioritized for citizens, or else Palin re: drill now in Anwar for energy independence and finacial security for citizens as well as the nation.

maverick muse on June 30, 2008 at 2:24 PM

How much experience does a vp need? For that matter how much experience does the President really need? People tend to vote for executives over Senators but how much is that do to how they ran their campaign?
People know that the President can surround himself with people who are in the know. Most voters vote on personality, positions and intelligence, not on experience. We need to end this notion that someone has to come from government in order to run government.

Conservative Voice on June 30, 2008 at 2:27 PM

Cancel the Palin talk already. Seriously, let her build up a national profile and expand her credentials before sending her to the front. I like what I’ve read about her. I like it a lot. I think she can be a winner but like Jindal (whom I also view as a winner), she’s just not seasoned enough. I know a walking catastrophe like Obama and the fact we’re stuck with Queeg in the top slot may be pushing a lot of folks to the panic button, but let’s not blow a potential juggernaut by launching them too soon.

I liked Fred, but he couldn’t seem to get the wheels turning fast enough. I think he got sandbagged too, but that’s another story. Once Fred was gone, I went with Romney, out of the remaining candidates, he was the one who impressed me the most during the debates and was the only guy left I could get behind. Then the Cult of Huckabee torpedoed him with the sleaziest campaign since the 1800 Presidential Election. (Somewhere, Jesus is saying: “They worship who?”)

What is it, 12% of the GOP actually likes having Queeg as the nom? What’s more, his strategic masterstroke was “Amnesty for Votes”…yeah, that’s one way of trying to drum up new support. Problem with that is it has the negatory effect of driving your base away. And in the end, which deal do you think Hispanic voters are going to pick: Amnesty alone or The Amnesty, drivers licences, increased social services, etc… that’s a guaranteed certainty by an Obama administration coupled with a staggering Dem majority in congress?

Strategic brilliance…[/sarc

Anyone but the future of the party, I guess.

SuperCool on June 30, 2008 at 2:27 PM

At least the argument is between Romney and Palin…two great choices, instead of between Huck and Romney.

Conservative Voice on June 30, 2008 at 2:28 PM

Romney is intelligent, good-looking, and articulate, yet somehow he failed to connect during the primaries. His Mormonism doesn’t bother me (Orrin Hatch is great Senator), but there are probably quite a few “evangelicals” (who will be needed in November) who balk at a Mormon–sad but true. If McCain becomes President, he could appoint Romney as Treasury Secretary, where he would probably do a great job.

If the price of gasoline and the “drill for oil” issue becomes extremely important in this election, Governor Sarah Palin might be the best choice. But maybe McCain needs someone from Ohio or Pennsylvania. What about former Congressman John Kasich, who is well-spoken, well-respected, and young-looking?

Steve Z on June 30, 2008 at 2:35 PM

Conservative Voice on June 30, 2008 at 2:28 PM

Thank heaven for small favors!

melda on June 30, 2008 at 2:39 PM

“Needless to say, for reasons legitimate and not so legitimate, Mitt isn’t necessarily the guy to get pro-life Christians fired up to turn out in the fall.” – AllahP

Dang straight!

Al-Ozarka on June 30, 2008 at 2:51 PM

just because I think they cut a deal back when Mitt dropped out.

If they did you better believe Mitt has been doing his homework. He’s no dummy, he hasn’t been spending his time playing golf. He will chew up and spitout any vp vandidate the demofascists put up against him.

The same goes for Jindal. They both seem like good conservatives with a future but without much national exposure may not bring enough to the ticket. I’ve talked to enogh conservatives in the real world to know that mccain still can’t be sure he has the conservative vote. He picks someone like crist and I will not cast a vote for president or write in someone else. He needs to not just pick Romney but needs to hand over the economy to him and concentrate on the middle east. Jindal or Palin can be Mitts vp and then the other can be vp after that. Strong aggressive conservatives who communicate and implement conservative policies can wipe out the the demofascist propaganda machine with results.

peacenprosperity on June 30, 2008 at 2:52 PM

My first thought on the running mate question is that to balance his ticket, Barack Obama should pick a really old white general. Therefore, he should pick Dwight Eisenhower.

John McCain, on the other hand, needs to pick someone younger than himself. Therefore, he also should pick Dwight Eisenhower.
- David Brooks

MB4 on June 30, 2008 at 2:52 PM

Is this the same Palin who is Governor of Alaska?

A quick read at Wikipedia states

Palin’s first veto was used on legislation that would have barred the state from granting benefits to gay state employees and their partners. In effect, her veto granted State benefits to same-sex couples

Not a good start with evangelicals

According to Wikipedia

The veto occurred after Palin consulted with her attorney general on the constitutionality of the legislation.

That smells to me

If Palin agreed with the legislation on principle, she should have signed it and let the courts decide the constitutionality. That would have been a leadership stand on the issue. If she disliked the legislation she could have made that her explanation

Palin pre-empted the court evaluation of the legislation

I find the action pure weasel

No Ronald Reagan here

entagor on June 30, 2008 at 3:12 PM

fetchingly good looking..
maverick muse on June 30, 2008 at 2:24 PM

pshaw.. she is smoking hawt! & I’m just over half her age. :)

saus on June 30, 2008 at 3:19 PM

It would be interesting to see the obacultists make Mitt’s religion an issue inasmuch as their candidate is Muslim and Black.

eaglesdontflock on June 30, 2008 at 3:41 PM

“Voters who will vote for Obama because he is black is much greater than the number of voters who will vote against him because he is black.”

I don’t agree with this. Those who are voting for Obama because he is black are the same who would vote for any Democrat over any Republican regardless of the candidate, except for maybe a few Green Party voters, but people who won’t vote for Obama because he is black consist of plenty of people who wouldn’t vote for McCain otherwise. Just wait until we see the exit polls from seniors during the general. If Obama ran in 2000 instead of Gore(this is a big hypothetical of course), those old ladies in Florida would have really wanted to vote for Buchanan over Obama instead of confused senality.

On the other hand there are more people who will vote against Romney because he is Mormon, then the votes he gains because he is Mormon.

Vanceone on June 30, 2008 at 12:26 PM

I do agree with this.

LevStrauss on June 30, 2008 at 3:52 PM

Another hypothetical:

Regular voter: So Lev who do you think will be VP?
LevStrauss: Sarah Palin.
Regular Voter: Who the hell is that?

That is why she should not be VP. She needs a few years so the Continental US knows who she is.

LevStrauss on June 30, 2008 at 3:56 PM

LevStrauss on June 30, 2008 at 3:52 PM

But are they voting for him because he is a Democrat or because he is black? There will be a number of voters who usually don’t vote, who will vote for Obama because he is black…of course, if Obama happened to be conservative, then he would be another Clarence Thomas.

Conservative Voice on June 30, 2008 at 4:01 PM

“McCain remains far short of enamored of Romney.”

Since McCain IS ENAMORED of Amnesty, and a plethora of issues which are anathema to true conservatives, Romney should wear such as abdge of honor. Albeit privately if he wants the job : )

America1st on June 30, 2008 at 4:02 PM

LevStrauss on June 30, 2008 at 3:56 PM

It wouldn’t take long for a no name person as a vp to become well known. People don’t tend to vote for a candidate because of who is running as the running mate anyway. If there is any hope in America, we need to stop this notion that a person running for President needs to hold a government job for x number of years.

Conservative Voice on June 30, 2008 at 4:05 PM

“Strong aggressive conservatives who communicate and implement conservative policies can wipe out the the demofascist propaganda machine with results.”

Amen. It is so simple and all the more frustrating for their lack of implementation. For crying out loud, guiding principles and core philosophy should be easy to articulate!

America1st on June 30, 2008 at 4:05 PM

Personally I hope Mav doesn’t pick a conservative running mate, because it makes a third party candidate much easier to vote for.

Conservative Voice on June 30, 2008 at 4:06 PM

Conservative Voice on June 30, 2008 at 4:01 PM

Yes there will be a few, maybe I was too absolute in my last post on the subject, but those are wildcard voters nonetheless. Old people always vote, they have nothing better to do. Dems need old people, that’s why they tell Social Security ghost stories. Some old people still think they are still voting for FDR in the booth when they vote Dems in for president. Both of these factors will be negated because somebody from a different time will not vote for a black person. That is near 25% of the general election voters, in the Dem primary alone they went 70-30 to Hillary, just wait until you throw in all other political affiliations that are not Dem centric. I really think that will outweigh the new voters that are coming into the fold by a lot.

LevStrauss on June 30, 2008 at 4:11 PM

Conservative Voice on June 30, 2008 at 4:06 PM

That ship has already sailed for me. I really don’t understand why anyone would change their vote based on VP unless the candidate was from your home state and popular, though that would still not change my vote.

LevStrauss on June 30, 2008 at 4:15 PM

faraway – I’m talking about electability, not what I personally think about Palin.

swami – thanks

indythinker on June 30, 2008 at 4:30 PM

entagor on June 30, 2008 at 3:12 PM

Maybe she figured it would be a waste of zillions of dollars in litigation to fight something that her legal advisors thought she’d lose?

misterpeasea on June 30, 2008 at 4:47 PM

Prediction.

Obama picks a VP and raises an unprecedented amount of money. McCain picks Romney, message communication dramatically improves, then they raise an unexpected and also unprecedented amount of money.

Obama and the Left accuse Romney of putting in his own money (more than he actually has).

Agrippa2k on June 30, 2008 at 5:14 PM

BigD on June 30, 2008 at 1:20 PM

You never answered my question:
Which President was a great businessman before he became the President?

You think that experience on a senate budget committee outweighs experience with private business ownership, leading the Olympics and being governor of a state for four years? Boggles my mind, whether we’re talking about Romney or somebody else.

Clinton was a Governor of a state, so that qualified him as an economic expert?
I will state again, what correlation do you have that a good businessman is a good politician?….Soros is a billionaire, I guess you really think he would be great for the economy…want me to name some others?
Working for decades with a government budget, hammering out details, working “within the system” is much greater experience then running a “consulting” business, whose majority of customers belong to the same church as you, or are from your dad’s powerful contacts.
When you answer my question, I will answer yours…
(BTW, interesting how the individual business that helped bail out the Olympics, are the same ones that he “consulted” for, that helped in the big dig, and are now his major donors and supporters, what a coincidence…they all made so much money, what are the odds?)

right2bright on June 30, 2008 at 5:16 PM

How much experience does a vp need?
Conservative Voice on June 30, 2008 at 2:27 PM

Exactly, the only thing important is…which candidate can bring in the most money and votes. And priority is votes.

right2bright on June 30, 2008 at 5:19 PM

right2bright on June 30, 2008 at 5:16 PM

Pretty slimy, not2bright either. Big dig contracts were all let before Romney. Nice try.

eaglesdontflock on June 30, 2008 at 5:29 PM

Look,this should of been done,at least a month
ago,I’ve said all along Mitt for VP,and the
sooner,the better!

While the Libs have their wheels clogged up with
bodies thrown under da bus,and as they would say,
by Red State Update,freggin pick him,just pick em!

Once Mitt is on the McCain(F–k it McCain* 08)bus,
Republican’s can get this campaign into high gear,
and get this political show on da road!

*( canopfor deeply regrets, shamelessly,stealing
Red State Update’s campaign slogan,”F–k it
McCain 08″).————————–:).

canopfor on June 30, 2008 at 5:38 PM

Most Ohioans have automatic recognition of Rob Portman.

knob on June 30, 2008 at 5:42 PM

Romney is the only person makes sense. Not only is he qualified to be POTUS. But, he also puts Michigan and California into play for McCain.

Remember there are roughly about 1 million mormons in California, all of whom are being asked by their church to vote for the California Marriage Amendment this November. Only about 12 million Californians voted in the 2004 election. And that was a 6.7 to 5.5 split. So, one million votes can make a huge difference, especially when you consider there is likely to be close to 100% turn out among Mormons in CA.

McCain might not like Romney personally, but he can’t win without him.

joncoltonis on June 30, 2008 at 6:26 PM

I actually like Romney, he’s articulate and intelligent and a good debater, but my concern about a McCain/Romney ticket is that the two of them together are likely to be more liberal than either one separately. While I would have preferred Romney over McCain as the nominee, because I would rather have socialized medicine than amnesty for illegals, with both of them in the White House we’ll probably get both amnesty and socialized medicine.

However, if McCain is going to be the next president anyway, I would much rather have VP Romney than Jindal.

FloatingRock on June 30, 2008 at 6:42 PM

eaglesdontflock on June 30, 2008 at 5:29 PM

Pretty slime eaglesdontflock (and how boring is it that you twist my moniker around…never seen that before, except by little girls), I never said Romney issued the contracts, I said he bailed out the contractors.
Nice try.
Now learn to read…

right2bright on June 30, 2008 at 7:31 PM

McCain should stick with someone closer to his maverick ideology, like Chuck Hagel.

jaime on June 30, 2008 at 7:43 PM

jaime on June 30, 2008 at 7:43 PM

Don’t worry Mitt Romney changes his positions enough he’s Maverick enough..

Chakra Hammer on June 30, 2008 at 7:54 PM

But lack of personal chemistry could derail the pick…

Who REALLY likes John McCain? Linda Grahamnesty? Joe Lieberman? Juan Hernandez?

EJDolbow on June 30, 2008 at 7:55 PM

I love Mitt.

Talk about executive experience!!!

eucher on June 30, 2008 at 8:16 PM

More Reaganesque than Reagan…Dean, Reid, Pelosi and Hussein will not sleep good tonight! Go Mitt!!!!

Nozzle on June 30, 2008 at 9:28 PM

Weasly Wuss Clark sure made the case for executive experience didn’t he?

My take on it is that if the Messiah picks a man for VP than McCain will pick up the executive experienced VP just to shut up all critics….. McCain is just that short tempered, “Alright fine then, I’ll take Romney!!”

But if Barack Hussein Obama picks a woman than McCain will pick Palin in order to one up him.

What are the chances that Obama picks a woman? About 35% is my guess. I just don’t think that Michelle is that secure about the “other women”. She seems very insecure of herself.

Mcguyver on June 30, 2008 at 9:41 PM

For God’s sake, John, don’t pick Romney!

packsoldier on June 30, 2008 at 9:58 PM

Fundraising prowess, economic experience, and executive experience are all points in Romney’s favor. Add to that his ability to bring many conservatives back into the fold, makes this a logical pick.

Think_b4_speaking on June 30, 2008 at 10:35 PM

why mccain is waiting for obama to make a decision shows me once again mccain is the wrong man for President. Come on McCain, be a man, and force Obama’s hand, don’t be playing the my symbolism is better than yours game. But what can you expect from someone who has been in the senate for decades…they play political games instead of doing the right thing because its the right thing.

Conservative Voice on June 30, 2008 at 11:04 PM

If only there was a big issue the voters were fired up about. You know, like high gas prices or something. If only there was a Governor who was untainted by all the anti-GOP sentiment. One with off-the-charts charisma who also happened to have huge oil supplies in their state and the ability to make the pro-drilling case to voters.

Hmmm. Oh well, since we can’t seem to find anybody like that, I give you: President B. Hussein Obama.

Mr. Wednesday Night on July 1, 2008 at 1:22 AM