Politico: Romney currently McCain’s top choice for VP

posted at 12:07 pm on June 30, 2008 by Allahpundit

After six posts on this subject, I’m plum out of things to say. Well, almost.

Surprising many Republican insiders, Mitt Romney is at the top of the vice-presidential prospect list for Sen. John McCain (R-Ariz.). But lack of personal chemistry could derail the pick…

Campaign insiders say McCain plans to name his running mate very shortly after Sen. Barack Obama (D-Ill.) does, as part of what one campaign planner called a “bounce-mitigation strategy.”…

One of the chief reasons the Massachusetts governor is looking so attractive is his ability to raise huge amounts of money quickly through his former business partners and from fellow members of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, the Mormons.

McCain sources tell Politico that they believe Romney could raise $50 million in 60 days. One close Romney adviser said it could even be $60 million…

But there’s one big problem: Despite the buddy-picture choreography of a McCain-Romney campaign swing, McCain remains far short of enamored of Romney.

Supposedly Rob Portman and John Thune are the leading alternatives, although I don’t see how naming Portman would produce any “bounce-mitigation” from Obama’s VP pick since most conservatives couldn’t pick him out of a lineup. (As for Jindal, “insiders” evidently think his youth would backfire by making McCain look older by comparison, a point I’ve made before here.) Hugh Hewitt makes a good point too in arguing that if you want Mitt out there raising money — most or all of which would presumably go to the RNC, since McCain’s going to take public financing — then it makes no sense to wait until Obama makes his own VP pick. Tap Romney now and let him hit the trail as the newly crowned heir apparent. The fact that McCain wants to wait makes me wonder if I wasn’t right in this post in thinking that the two candidates are waiting to see if either will put a woman on the ticket to make a play for Hillary supporters. If Obama names Sebelius, McCain may feel he has no choice but to name Palin and break the “old white guy” monopoly on the GOP.

The only really surprising thing about this is that it’s now two months after Bob Novak first reported that Romney was the top choice, and he’s still the top choice — even after the strain on McCain’s relationship with evangelicals from his repudiation of Hagee and Parsley in May and the renewed outreach to social cons that began last week. Needless to say, for reasons legitimate and not so legitimate, Mitt isn’t necessarily the guy to get pro-life Christians fired up to turn out in the fall.

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2

Um… yay?

I’m just not sure WHAT to think of anyone who’d associate himself with McAmnesty these days.

Spanglemaker on June 30, 2008 at 12:10 PM

A good second choice to Palin.

drjohn on June 30, 2008 at 12:10 PM

1000 (3/4 will probably be from the official Hot Air Huck lovers…you know who you are) comments or bust.

malan89 on June 30, 2008 at 12:11 PM

I like Romney. But what about Palin?

jencab on June 30, 2008 at 12:11 PM

Not a bad choice, if this is true.

phronesis on June 30, 2008 at 12:12 PM

Palin is who I wish he would pick but Mitt works for me.

Limerick on June 30, 2008 at 12:12 PM

I like Romney. But what about Palin?

jencab on June 30, 2008 at 12:11 PM

Palin and Jindal both negate the “Experience Argument”

Squid Shark on June 30, 2008 at 12:14 PM

McCain needs to pull his head out and get the h*ll away from Romney(who wont bring him Michigan anyways in the GE)

DarianCounts on June 30, 2008 at 12:14 PM

Question: Hows does Mitt play in PA and OH? McCain can’t win without both those states unless all the dems in WI and MI move to Toronto tomorrow.

Limerick on June 30, 2008 at 12:15 PM

Send in the clowns Huckster Brigade.

redrock on June 30, 2008 at 12:16 PM

Palin could ride her current momentum, but would you want to be Kemped just for short term gain? She would have 4 years in an Obama Presidency to oppose and start her own dialogue. Mitt on the other hand is a Mormon and sadly bigots hate Mormons so he is dead as a legitimate candidate. Of course the only reason McCain has a chance in the general is because Obama is black and many bigots hate blacks, but still if McCain won who would want to be connected to that? In addition he’d throw your ideals under the bus to show off his “maverick” persona.

LevStrauss on June 30, 2008 at 12:17 PM

A good choice given the state of the economy. Rather see Romney/Palin (or Palin/Romney)myself. But here in the real world I can think of a lot of people who would be more likely to vote Republican with Mitt on the ticket. Okay, not the Hucksters. But others will.

Can mccain put his ego aside enough to do this? I’m not sure he can.

Shay on June 30, 2008 at 12:17 PM

Limerick on June 30, 2008 at 12:15 PM

Canda can have the whole state, the only reason I would keep MN

Squid Shark on June 30, 2008 at 12:17 PM

The guy is charismatic, smart, and can throw in personal money in a pinch. He’s always been the logical choice, but is the logical choice McCain’s choice? Somehow I don’t think so.

RBMN on June 30, 2008 at 12:18 PM

continuing from before:

The only reason I would keep MN is because of the Captain.

Squid Shark on June 30, 2008 at 12:18 PM

The fact that the “source” has mentioned those two names near the front of McCain’s VP list should tell you that the source has no idea what he/she is talking about.

Big S on June 30, 2008 at 12:18 PM

A flip flopper on abortion who brought “universal,” small-business bankrupting Romneycare to MA? This is to appeal to the conservative base, that’s already wary because of McCain’s recent statements on comprehensive immigration reform? Does the term “secure” the base” mean anything to McCain?

Since McCain is taking federal money for the general, he only needs fundraising from now until early September. Or would Romney also be doing RNC fundraising, too?

Sanford would be better. Conservative. Experienced and sitll younger than McCain.

Or Palin or Pawlenty. Someone with experience day to day in an executive branch.

Wethal on June 30, 2008 at 12:19 PM

It would make the vote for McCain more palatable if Romney were on the ticket.

And BTW, I am a Mormon and would donate. So someone is probably right on that point. McCain alone gets no money.

dc84123 on June 30, 2008 at 12:19 PM

Thune? I like him but not sure of his record in the House and he is a newbie to the Senate like Obama.
But…he defeated Tom Daschle in 2004!!!

Brat on June 30, 2008 at 12:20 PM

Romney for Secretary of Commerce, maybe?

Wethal on June 30, 2008 at 12:21 PM

It will be hard to match the headline potential of a Obama/Richardson ticket.

I still think McCain is holding out for Lieberman, Joe just has to make a few statements and gain some momentum. It’s not like McCain gives a damn about conservatives but the thought of having one in the four year penalty box (VP) while he save the world from global cooling warming climate change would probably put a smile to his face.

LevStrauss on June 30, 2008 at 12:22 PM

Also, with Mitt, that might help in Colorado. Those 9 ev’s would push the election to Obama if the rest of the map looks like the 00 and 04 ones.

Limerick on June 30, 2008 at 12:23 PM

But…he defeated Tom Daschle in 2004!!!

Brat on June 30, 2008 at 12:20 PM

No. The SD GOP has no one with which to replace him. Gov. Rounds does not want to be in the Senate. The state GOP has a very thin bench, and hasn’t been nurturing young talent. They don’t have any Stephanie Herseths in the pipeline.

Wethal on June 30, 2008 at 12:24 PM

Wethal on June 30, 2008 at 12:19 PM

Most Americans wouldn’t know Sanford or Pawlenty if they tripped over them in the street. Palin, meanwhile, could be a liability in the experience column, which is McCain’s main point.

There’s a whole lot of money to be spent between now and September, and Obama already has over $33 million for just that. McC is going to need an infusion of money, and Romney can pull that off.

amerpundit on June 30, 2008 at 12:25 PM

Palin and Jindal both negate the “Experience Argument”

Squid Shark on June 30, 2008 at 12:14 PM

To some extent, but Obama has already taken full advantage of every opportunity to exhibit his, and Palin hasn’t had those same opportunities, plus, I think she’s too cagey to let it happen. Plus we are talking VP sidekick, vs presidential leader.

a capella on June 30, 2008 at 12:25 PM

sadly bigots hate Mormons

I wish this weren’t true, but you’re right. A man three times more qualified (and a thousand times more honest) than Janet Napolitano ran against her and lost. Matt Salmon’s popularity took a dive the day Napolitano’s staff or campaign or whoever started running ads against him based on the fact he is Mormon.

Shay on June 30, 2008 at 12:26 PM

I’ve always said that the VP race seems to be between Romney and Palin. Romney’s the logical choice–he was the last ditch stand for conservatives, and aside from the strong Huckabee contingent who wouldn’t vote for Jesus Himself over Huck, I can’t see very many rational anti-mormons who wouldn’t be more scared of Obama in the first place. If they are bigoted enough to not vote for a McCain/Romney ticket simply on the grounds that Romney’s LDS, then they are probably even more bigoted against the Jeremiah Wright nonsense Obama is peddling.

Of course, Palin would be a great choice too.

Vanceone on June 30, 2008 at 12:26 PM

Romney or Thompson would shore McCain up with conservatives.
I like both.

carbon_footprint on June 30, 2008 at 12:27 PM

It will be hard to match the headline potential of a Obama/Richardson ticket.

LevStrauss on June 30, 2008 at 12:22 PM

That would be sort of risky. First of all, you have two minorities on the ticket. I don’t care what color skin you have, but there are a chunk of people who do.

Second, Richardson actually undermines some of Obama’s arguments. He’s in favor of increased oil drilling, taking the opposite position of Obama. Lowering gas prices are going to be a top issue in this election, and there could be some problem in having your P and VP on two opposite sides.

amerpundit on June 30, 2008 at 12:28 PM

Save Palin for Mitts VP in 2012.

ctmom on June 30, 2008 at 12:28 PM

YES GO ROMNEY

al on June 30, 2008 at 12:29 PM

If that’s the case, pick her now. Picking second looks reactionary. On both sides. Picking Palin now, would make Obama’s choice weakened if it’s a woman, and weakened if it’s not.

Dash on June 30, 2008 at 12:33 PM

Okay, here’s the plan. Mac picks Mitt. Mac decides not to run for a second term. Mitt/Teh Fred ’12!

malan89 on June 30, 2008 at 12:33 PM

That’s what I was thinking. If you’re going to pick a woman, pick Palin BEFORE he picks Sebelius.

malan89 on June 30, 2008 at 12:34 PM

This is the biggest cycle for identity politics I’ve ever seen. McCain would be a fool to pass on Palin, IMO.

aero on June 30, 2008 at 12:35 PM

WE need Palin!!!

ConservativePartyNow on June 30, 2008 at 12:36 PM

This is the biggest cycle for identity politics I’ve ever seen.

It’s a shame, but you’re right. The question is…which group has the biggest appeal–an extra couple percent with women that Palin would bring or the normally swing EC votes Mitt would bring with Nevada and Colorado?

malan89 on June 30, 2008 at 12:39 PM

Mitt should do a question and answer about Mormonism before hand and assure everyone that what happened with the polygamists in Texas (?) has nothing to do with the Mormon Church. Glenn Beck just did a service/show in Utah and was overwhelmed by the patriotism.
So…I’d take a Mormon for VP any day over a twink like Wesley or anyone NObama would pick.
Palin would be fine to…this is where I’d like to see McCain use his courage and do the right thing for his conservative base.

Christine on June 30, 2008 at 12:40 PM

Mitt Romney

McCain has few opportunities for a Presidential legacy.

Mitt is probably his best opportunity, if he’s smart enough to turn him loose on the economy and stay out of the way.

Speakup on June 30, 2008 at 12:46 PM

malan89 on June 30, 2008 at 12:34 PM

Yeah, I shouldnt have said “looks reactionary”, it would be reactionary, not just look it. Beat Obama to the punch assuming this Palin is qualified. If she’s sketchy then dont do it.

Dash on June 30, 2008 at 12:47 PM

Romney is the only way I could justify voting for McCain. I’m not holding my breath though.

Geronimo on June 30, 2008 at 12:48 PM

Too bad Mitt and McCain never got a chance to go one-on-one in the primary. Mitt would dwarf him on a stage as his veep, including and especially when it comes to talking about the economy and big, strategic issues. McCain would not be happy. I don’t think McCain’s very happy, anyway.

I was a big Romney supporter, and I don’t quite know how I feel about him as McCain’s veep. It might get me to pull the lever.

BigD on June 30, 2008 at 12:50 PM

Romney’s cool. And I agree with SquidShark when it comes to Jindal. Palin has been governor for a while, so I think she would be OK on the experience question.

The big problem with Obama is his lack of experience and using his charisma to smooth over some serious rough spots. We don’t want to add a charismatic n00b to the ticket and invalidate that argument.

Sekhmet on June 30, 2008 at 12:50 PM

I use to think Romney was a bad choice because his faith urts in the south.

However Obama has his problems in the south as well and I dont see McCain losing this region.

Right now either Palin or Romney as VP. But a bit of warning anyone who signs on the the McCain Presidency isnt gauranteed the nomination after McCain leaves. I dont know if I have it in me to vote for either Palin or Romney as President AT THIS TIME. But who knows about later on.

William Amos on June 30, 2008 at 12:54 PM

Romney can bring in the money, it gets down to, can he bring votes, or does he lose votes?
Palin can bring votes, but her lack of national exposure doesn’t help, and her ability to raise money (especially compared to Romney) would be in question.
Romney has the money, has ties to the money; big money has bailed him out year after year, and he has bailed them out year after year. The problem is with all that money, and record amounts spent, it never converted to votes. And he has never shown he has “coattails”. The way he won in Mass. was to run away from conservatives, I guess that is his biggest asset to McCain, he won’t fight him (McCain) on his liberal agenda.
Palin is stuck way up north, she is for something that McCain is against, and what money could she raise? Her big advantage (besides being an intellegnet woman with charisma) is that she took on the Republican establishment and cleaned house.
Money—-Votes
Which is more important, and which V.P. candidate has the advantage.

right2bright on June 30, 2008 at 12:57 PM

To me, Romney is the logical pick from a political point of view.

but Palin is the wildcard that could pay huge dividends.

jp on June 30, 2008 at 1:02 PM

A good second choice to Palin.

drjohn on June 30, 2008 at 12:10 PM

Tim Burton on June 30, 2008 at 1:02 PM

Please NOT Mitt!

Baah….I’m still sticking with my old prediction…Gov. Crist.

The Left ould only use every soundbyte of McCain and Romney clubbing each other at the debates.

JetBoy on June 30, 2008 at 1:04 PM

Baah….I’m still sticking with my old prediction…Gov. Crist.

No, please, not two white haired men.

Brat on June 30, 2008 at 1:07 PM

BigD on June 30, 2008 at 12:50 PM

What experience does Romney have in the political economy (I am assuming you mean economic strategy and not military)? I keep hearing his economic experience, but it is mostly in private enterprise. He has very little government experience (besides bailing out his buddies that screwed up the “big dig”) compared to decades of Senate budget experience (look at the phrase “compared to decades”).
Here is a question…who was the last President that was a great businessman?
Being a good businessman and being a good politician is about analogous to being a great athlete and being a great politician. It can happen, but not as a cause and effect.
Being successful in busniness from a political standpoint, is easy, that is where you make the contacts to make money. How many poor senator are there? Bush, Gore, Romney, Kennedy, and many others, have used their family connections in politics to make their money.

right2bright on June 30, 2008 at 1:09 PM

That’s just what we need this election cycle. Another boring person at the bottom of the ticket. And this boring guy is only getting play because he was the last anti-McCain standing.

its vintage duh on June 30, 2008 at 1:13 PM

Would that we’d be so lucky that he chooses Sebelius, a Catholic who has been such a vocal pro-abortion advocate that her local bishop has said she should consider not taking Communion. After Obama’s Wright problem, he doesn’t need a “wafer watch” to see if Sebelius is turned away at the rail.

Any woman other than Hillary would still lose a lot of her supporters, especially if it were a younger woman (not hard). Imagine how Hillary’s boomer women supporters feel since she’s been passed over for a younger, less qualified man.

Then consider how they’d feel if Hillary, who trudged along faithfully with her man and her party through the long, difficult years, is replaced with a younger model? Can you say “Trophy Wife”?

Wethal on June 30, 2008 at 1:17 PM

Mitt for VP! I may vote for McCain after all.

davenp35 on June 30, 2008 at 1:19 PM

Here is a question…who was the last President that was a great businessman?

right2bright on June 30, 2008 at 1:09 PM

right2bright — that is so much incoherent gibberish and nonsense I almost didn’t respond. Let me tell you something, there is no economy that doesn’t start with the private sector, because that is where money is made and wealth is created. You think that experience on a senate budget committee outweighs experience with private business ownership, leading the Olympics and being governor of a state for four years? Boggles my mind, whether we’re talking about Romney or somebody else.

Question to you:

On questions economic, who do you think is best qualified to be president, and why?

BigD on June 30, 2008 at 1:20 PM

Save Palin for Mitts VP in 2012.

ctmom on June 30, 2008 at 12:28 PM

I don’t think that will ever happen.

upinak on June 30, 2008 at 1:22 PM

I like Romney, but I just dont think he will play well to the average voter.

WoosterOh on June 30, 2008 at 1:22 PM

McCain could pick Billy Graham and the “true conservatives” would be bitching about something.

McCain should pick who he’s comfortable with and let the voters decide.

mylegsareswollen on June 30, 2008 at 1:27 PM

Hillary, resign from the senate today. Reclaim your republican roots. That way your best friend John can name you VP and sew up the election. Obama can name Wesley Clark to counter on his side. Girly men do count don’t they.

Sarc. Off

meci on June 30, 2008 at 1:28 PM

And with imiigration one of the top reasons for the ultra-cons to derange themselves aobut McCain, have you Mittwits remembering HIS plan?

JetBoy on June 30, 2008 at 1:28 PM

Mittmentum is dead. Palinmania is gathering steam…….

Sarah!

Whatcha gonna do when Palinmania runs wild all over you?

Dr.Cwac.Cwac on June 30, 2008 at 1:28 PM

I am ambivalent. I like Romney; I supported his candidacy. However, I don’t think he is the fix to get everyone sitting on the fence overwhelmingly onboard the McCain train. Nor do I think he would hurt the effort either. I honestly don’t have a favorite in the veep sweepstakes. I just wish McCain would pick one already.

HawaiiLwyr on June 30, 2008 at 1:29 PM

Who cares? The only reason we have a destable political Judas like McCain at the top of the ticket is a bunch of Christian-hating morons who thought McCain was the most electable. That resulted in tepid, at best, support from the very people McCain needs to win in November. The cranky old bastard’s personal likes and dislikes are irrelevant since he made it clear that “electability” is supposedly the only standard. If Romney can deliver the votes of a goodly portion of the evangelical and social conservatives. McCain had better “shut the f**k up and nominate Romney”

Likewise all the McCain moonbats and apologists who demand unquestioning support of a man who doesn’t stand for most of my values outside of national security had better fall in line and find an acceptable alternative to the cranky old bastard who has managed to alienate most Republicans with no intention of mending fences.

highhopes on June 30, 2008 at 1:29 PM

Its hard to see what Romney brings to the ticket, other than a big pile of dough. Most people sniffed him out as a flip flopper and phony, as McCain himself did.

james23 on June 30, 2008 at 1:32 PM

Reasons to pick Romney: raising money, proven executive experience and leadership, could actually fill in as President if necessary and do a good job, similar positions as McCain’s, helps shore up the conservative base, helps shore up the West, helps shore up Michigan and the northeast, would probably win the VP debate over the Democrat VP nominee, and he would help close the gender gap.

Reasons to not pick Romney: McCain and Romney haven’t had the warmest of relations, Romney’s Mormonism might cost McCain some votes.

Overall, picking Romney would be positive. The fear of some voters of his Mormonism is smaller than their fear of Obama’s crypto-Islamic connections.

If Palin had more experience as governor, she would be at the top of the list. As it is, she just doesn’t have the political experience.

indythinker on June 30, 2008 at 1:35 PM

HawaiiLwyr on June 30, 2008 at 1:29 PM

So who would be that person? I honestly think Romney is about as good as you are going to get. It needs to be somebody with national name recognition and credibility (Palin or Jindal just don’t have it). Romney is the sorta default candidate of social conservatives and many evangelicals. He offers the possibility of delivering Mass. to the GOP in November and he can raise money.

I just don’t see any other potential Veep candidate that could fill the bill as well as Romney. McCain, as a dinosaur, needs to have a credible VP because of the very real possibility that there may be a reason to transfer power to the second-in-charge. Joe Lieberman would be an interesting choice but that would mean dismissing social conservatives from the GOP column all together because of Lieberman’s very liberal social positions.

highhopes on June 30, 2008 at 1:36 PM

it’s the safe choice. He’s good looking, smart, can raise alot of cash and most important he can probably carry MI by himself, which is huge.

jesterstear on June 30, 2008 at 1:38 PM

Palin reminds me of Ferraro in that she hasn’t been tested on the national stage, exactly like Ferraro before Mondale picked her. Her family’s tax problems cost Mondale dearly.

I’m all for picking a woman if she has the experience and has already had her background picked over. I don’t think Palin has that yet.

indythinker on June 30, 2008 at 1:39 PM

you folks underestimate Mitt’s pull in Michigan. Trust me on this, if Mitt’s on the ticket, michigan is a red state.

swami on June 30, 2008 at 1:39 PM

Picking Lieberman would cost him his committee assignments in the Senate. That would be too costly to even contemplate.

indythinker on June 30, 2008 at 1:40 PM

P
A
L
I
N

faraway on June 30, 2008 at 1:41 PM

One word – ENERGY. McCain is obviously surrounded by sycophants and party hacks who doubt McCain’s ability to grasp certain issues. The biggest one is energy.

Romney needn’t be an energy expert to have some greatly needed common sense. McCain’s lackluster response to Obama’s loathsome “to long to start now” democrat party line is an example.

Agrippa2k on June 30, 2008 at 1:41 PM

Why is everyone under the impression that McCain will try to win the conservative vote? Conservatives aren’t going to vote for him at this point anyway. What is a so-called conservative VP like flip-flopper Romney going to do anyway?

Hillary would have been a perfect fit for McCain’s strategy thus far. Too bad he missed the boat on that one.

nottakingsides on June 30, 2008 at 1:42 PM

LevStrauss on June 30, 2008 at 12:17 PM
Voters who will vote for Obama because he is black is much greater than the number of voters who will vote against him because he is black.
On the other hand there are more people who will vote against Romney because he is Mormon, then the votes he gains because he is Mormon.

Vanceone on June 30, 2008 at 12:26 PM

you would think so, but these people think Mormons aren’t Christian, and Wright is. Bigotry isn’t rational.

Conservative Voice on June 30, 2008 at 1:42 PM

indy, Palin has more experience than Obama. What can he say to that?

faraway on June 30, 2008 at 1:45 PM

I’m still laughing at that one. Romney won’t help in the Northeast.

Big S on June 30, 2008 at 1:46 PM

McCain’s selling point is not experience. That was Hillary and she lost to Obama. McCain’s selling point is that he is a maverick, a patriot, and a strong leader. We know what America will look like when John McCain has finished his presidency. The country will be in good shape.

America under Obama will surrender to terrorists and have an economic meltdown.

McCain has served in the Senate longer than Obama, but McCain was always the rebel. He has always pushed for changing the way Washington works. He doesn’t have experience as one of the old boys of Washington. He has experience in disrupting the Washington gravy train so that the rest of the country will not be bankrupted.

Barack Obama would tax the hell out of this country right as the economy sputters, which is more than reminiscient of what the Herbert Hoover administration did to push us into the Great Depression.

McCain has common sense and courage enough to be a maverick in Washington and steer this country ably. That’s the selling point.

indythinker on June 30, 2008 at 1:50 PM

indythinker on June 30, 2008 at 1:39 PM

Oh give me a freaking break. Indy go to your corner and chill out.

upinak on June 30, 2008 at 1:54 PM

swami on June 30, 2008 at 1:39 PM

I think you underestimate the draw of Obama among the blacks and Muslims of Detroit and Flint.

highhopes on June 30, 2008 at 1:55 PM

McCain’s northeast strategy should be to scare Obama into spending money and time up there. The more they waste up there, the better.

Maybe McCain can pick up New Hampshire, or if he’s very lucky Connecticut.

Romney helps McCain’s northeast strategy. He can go there, talk about the Big Dig, wear a Red Sox cap, and tap a maple tree and eats a flapjack. Then he holds a big fundraiser. That’s all they need to do.

indythinker on June 30, 2008 at 1:55 PM

Yes, yes yes on Mitt!

Winebabe on June 30, 2008 at 1:56 PM

indythinker on June 30, 2008 at 1:50 PM

If you are going post ads for McCain on this site, don’t you have to put the disclaimer as to who paid?

highhopes on June 30, 2008 at 1:57 PM

swami on June 30, 2008 at 1:39 PM

If it is such a red state, why do they keep voting in the blue?

upinak on June 30, 2008 at 1:57 PM

highhopes on June 30, 2008 at 1:55 PM

Michigan is 82% white.

indythinker on June 30, 2008 at 1:57 PM

highhopes on June 30, 2008 at 1:57 PM

I do like McCain. If other people don’t, I accept that. I just have an opinion on how McCain should campaign. I’m voicing my opinions. Obviously, I don’t work for McCain.

indythinker on June 30, 2008 at 1:59 PM

indy, Palin has more experience than Obama. What can he say to that?

faraway on June 30, 2008 at 1:45 PM

As a Governor? Obama’s time in the Senate would trump that when it comes to national leadership comparisons. Palin would negate the arguement that you need real practical experience in national politics to be elected- she is a dream candidate for the Obama camp.

highhopes on June 30, 2008 at 1:59 PM

Oh give me a freaking break. Indy go to your corner and chill out.

upinak on June 30, 2008 at 1:54 PM

Oh grow up.

indythinker on June 30, 2008 at 2:00 PM

indythinker on June 30, 2008 at 1:57 PM

But Michigan is approaching 10% unemployment (because of Dumbocrat leadership). There are more than enough stupid people, in my former home state, to fall for the “hopenchange” ruse.

Dr.Cwac.Cwac on June 30, 2008 at 2:01 PM

Michigan is 82% white.

indythinker on June 30, 2008 at 1:57 PM

Gee thanks, only lived there for three years. Not exactly a blinding flash of the obvious.

Between blacks and Muslims on the east (i.e. wrong) side of the state and the strong pull of organized labor steering lots of those white votes to Obama by default.

But, while on the subject, why do you assume that white Michaganders wouldn’t vote for Obama? Seems that you come awfully close to making the suggestion that Michigan is filled with white racists.

highhopes on June 30, 2008 at 2:03 PM

indy, Palin has more experience than Obama. What can he say to that?

faraway on June 30, 2008 at 1:45 PM

Obama has more experience when you count his state legislator years.

The thing about Palin is that she looks very young. She has good genes, but in this television age, it would help if she had some gray hair or wrinkles if she were to be on the national ticket.

I think Romney is the better choice than Palin in terms of helping McCain win.

indythinker on June 30, 2008 at 2:03 PM

Convention fantasy: McCain approaches the lectern, announces that he is dropping out due to personal reasons, suggests a team of Romney/Palin. The buzzer sounds and the crowd goes wild.

Doug on June 30, 2008 at 2:04 PM

highhopes on June 30, 2008 at 1:59 PM

high,
Palin has executive experience. Obama has none.

Both Palin and Obama have enough experience to be VP.

Who has more national clout when it comes to drilling in ANWR?

I will take this debate any day.

faraway on June 30, 2008 at 2:05 PM

highhopes on June 30, 2008 at 1:55 PM

I don’t underestimate them at all. I grew up in Flint and live in greater Detroit area. The fact that both of these areas are losing populace in droves due to auto layoffs is huge right now and puts Michigan in play. It’s the entire outlying state that craves Mitt. He is a turnaround guy and would be terrific for the auto industry. Plus, his Dad was one of Michigans most respected Governors in Michigan history.

Flint and Detroit are yesterdays cities and no longer carry the clout politically that they once had. Given the demise of the auto industry, a failed Governor Granholm (D- Canada) and a scandal riddled City of Detroit Mayor Kilpatrick (D Attica), Michigan is ripe for the R’s.

swami on June 30, 2008 at 2:05 PM

highhopes on June 30, 2008 at 2:03 PM

Where did you get that from? I was replying to your point about blacks and Muslims going overwhelmingly for Obama. As Michigan is 82% white, the black and Muslim vote will not be determinative.

Romney did very well in the GOP primary there. His father is still remembered fondly in Michigan from his days at GM and as governor. Name recognition goes a long way. At this point, Michiganders are pining for the good old days of plentiful auto industry jobs. Romney can go up to Michigan and talk about how we’re going to retool the auto industry, build flex-fuel cars, drill for oil everywhere, and get America, and Michigan, moving again. That kind of rhetoric will bring in lots of union votes and negate Obama’s class warfare appeal.

indythinker on June 30, 2008 at 2:07 PM

indythinker on June 30, 2008 at 2:03 PM

Very sexist indeed.

Obama has no wrinkles or gray hair. Would it help him?

faraway on June 30, 2008 at 2:09 PM

indythinker on June 30, 2008 at 2:07 PM

His father was an exec at American Motors before is ws sold to Chrysler.

swami on June 30, 2008 at 2:10 PM

Can McCain make a worse choice? Maybe the HP chic could be worse, or Ms Rice would be worse. But this guy brings NOTHING to the plate for McCain, he delivers neither Florida or Minnesota, but a state that would vote for McCain even if McCain were the devil himself.

Monkei on June 30, 2008 at 2:13 PM

Whoever it is, Palin, Romney or whomsoever, I jjust hope that it will be a person who wants to drill the crap out of ANWR.
We need to be running at least one person with a brain.

TexasJew on June 30, 2008 at 2:13 PM

It will be hard to match the headline potential of a Obama/Richardson ticket.

Obama already has a serious problem with white, working-class voters. The Appalachian regions of Virginia, West Virginia, Ohio, and Pennsylvania are not likely to be persuaded to vote for Obama — whom they already view with suspicion — because he puts a Hispanic on the ticket as VP.

AZCoyote on June 30, 2008 at 2:15 PM

Palin will be popular for her ideas.

She is a firebreathing conservative that eats mooseburgers and rides snowmobiles.

Her oldest son just joined the Army.

She is pro life, opposes same sex marriage and a life long NRA member.

faraway on June 30, 2008 at 2:16 PM

amerpundit on June 30, 2008 at 12:28 PM

Richardson won’t be vocal about his differences. The arguments you are setting forth while valid, sound similar to the charges that were leveled at Cheney, but those disappeared quickly once the narrative became that Cheney would “assist” in foreign matters to make up for the Andover Cowboy’s lack of Experience. And actually on issues like guns their divergence helps Obama. Besides, an experienced VP with differences on some issues give Obama more wiggle room on things like Energy policy, which I think all the candidates will be shifting on, and guns which would help Obama.

LevStrauss on June 30, 2008 at 2:17 PM