Video: Three weeks later, still no unity in Unity

posted at 1:34 pm on June 28, 2008 by Ed Morrissey

Three weeks ago today, Hillary Clinton officially endorsed Barack Obama and urged her supporters to support his bid in the general election.  Yesterday, the two Democrats staged a peace rally of sorts in Unity, New Hampshire, as Hillary repeated her endorsement.  Yet ABC News reports that a quarter of her supporters still consider voting for John McCain, and that bad blood between the two camps has yet to recede:

Did the plea work? Not especially. Several of the media outlets covering the story reported on how many Hillary supporters remain unconvinced:

Miller wasn’t buying Clinton’s plea for unity in Unity. “Obama is a fraud, and I’m going to vote for John McCain, the first time I’ve ever voted for a Republican.” She told me “the Democratic Party is a house divided. It’s not over” and that she wouldn’t rest until “Hillary and Hillary’s supporters have their voices heard.” (Portsmouth Herald, June 28, 2008)

“I don’t believe he’s the right person for the job,” said Thomas, 49, of Merrimack, N.H., who showed up at yesterday’s event wearing a Clinton campaign button. “Even in this speech it’s promises, promises, promises. Realistically, how does he think he’s going to make all these changes?” (Valley News, June 28, 2008)

“I’m not supporting Obama,” the Merrimack small business owner said. “I don’t think he’s vetted. I don’t think he’s experienced enough.” (CBS News, June 28, 2008)

Malka Yaacobi, a musician from Cambridge, Massachusetts, said that she voted for Clinton in the primaries, and Obama still did not sit right with her.  “I will not say I’ll vote for him,” she said. “ …I don’t trust him and he doesn’t have experience.” (CBS News, June 28, 2008)

One such die-hard was Carmella Lewis, who apparently is so unhappy that she found three reporters for venting her spleen:

Not everyone received the unity memo, however. Carmella Lewis of Denver chanted “Hillary” while Mr. Obama spoke, smirked throughout his remarks and then stuffed her ears with scrunched-up tissue. “I can’t listen to him,” Ms. Lewis said. “No way are we voting for Obama. We’re all voting for McCain.” (New York Times, June 28, 2008)

One Clinton voter who was not impressed was Carmella Lewis, a Clinton delegate from Denver. Lewis traveled to Unity to see her candidate one last time, and jeered throughout the event, while waving an autographed Clinton campaign sign. At one point while Obama was speaking, she plugged her ears with tissue paper. “I can’t stand him,” she said. “I’m either not voting, or I’m voting for John McCain.” (Washington Post, June 28, 2008)

“I think she has to say that right now, because I think what’s going on right now is politics,” Lewis said. “This is the candidate that won the swing states,” she said, pointing to a Hillary Clinton for President sign. “This is the candidate that won the large states, and she has the popular vote! If the vote were taken today, hands down, Hillary Clinton would be the delegate winner.” (ABC News, June 28, 2008)

Of course, the numbers cited by ABC will eventually drift downwards, but they may still remain significant.  If Obama can’t convince all but a few of Hillary’s supporters to remain in the Democratic tent, he’s going to have a big problem convincing enough centrists and independents to replace them.  And as long as Hillary is focused on retiring more than $20 million in debt, she won’t be available to assist him — even assuming she’s interested in doing so at all.

Comments

Pimp daddy and his number one..

Viper1 on June 28, 2008 at 1:38 PM

I’ll bet throwing her a bone with Supreme Court Justice printed on the side would change her attitude a lot. That, and a biiig check, 20 million or so. She’s a unity gal all the way,..just needs some persuasion.

a capella on June 28, 2008 at 1:41 PM

I don’t think I buy this.

When it comes down to it, are Democrats really, REALLY going to vote for McCain?

Come ON!

Yeah maybe there will be some who do or who stay home or vote Green or whatever. But I think when the time comes, most of these lefties will vote for Obambi.

Lefties are Lefties after all – their votes, IMO, are driven more by emotion (anger primarily), than rational thought or principle.

No matter what McCain is trying to do to “woo” them.

catmman on June 28, 2008 at 1:42 PM

I think McCain is still hoping Barry O’ will offer him the VP slot…

GeneSmith on June 28, 2008 at 1:48 PM

How is campaigning for Obama going to help Hillary in 2012? She will make enough appearances to not be criticized, but not enough to make a difference.

pedestrian on June 28, 2008 at 1:52 PM

Yesterday, the two Democrats staged a peace rally of sorts in Unity, New Hampshire …

“Unity, N.H.” Unity.

Democrats. Always focused on symbolism.

Tony737 on June 28, 2008 at 2:16 PM

Captain Ed. . . Whats guess that Bubba has a trick up
his sleeve.

I’m still thinking the Clintons will drop a bomb if
only to derail the Obama express.

Texyank on June 28, 2008 at 2:28 PM

Unity? Please. Hillz was a victim of a vast HopenChange conspiracy.

There can be no reconciliation, only retribution.

Well, Bill’s crazy enough to try.

Ares on June 28, 2008 at 2:38 PM

The impression I have is that more hard-core dissatisfied Hillary supporter among the Democrats than there are Republicans hard-core in their objection to McCain’s lack of conservative purity. On the other hand, the happy Dems are much more enthusiastic.

thuja on June 28, 2008 at 2:53 PM

“No way are we voting for Obama. We’re all voting for McCain.”

I hope that’s true.

BTW, did anybody see Obama pandering to “Lah-tee-noes”? A fake accent on one word is insulting, leftist knucklehead.

Tony737 on June 28, 2008 at 3:02 PM

“Good, goooood!!!!!!!!…….

/Star Wars emperor.

Hawkins1701 on June 28, 2008 at 3:51 PM

I don’t think those numbers are going to drift down, AP.

Obama is too far to the left for them. Combine that with his, his campaign staff and the DNC’s actions during the primaries and there is no way they are going to vote for Obama. They might if Obama was running against an ultra conservative Republican candidate but he isn’t.

What will happen is that the last remaining centrists left in the Democratic party are going to leave the party for good this year. They have been leaving for decades but the ones who had hoped to pull the party back to the center have finally had enough with being run over rough shod by the radical lft which now controls the party.

Nahanni on June 28, 2008 at 4:09 PM

I don’t think I buy this.

Come ON!

No matter what McCain is trying to do to “woo” them.

catmman

*Leftists* will certainly vote Obama, even if some will complain and groan about his recent attempts to leap for the center again.

But not all Democrats are leftists, nor are independents who usually vote Democrat. I’m seeing a lot of that here in New York – a lot of the people I work with are lifelong Democrats, and only a handful are Obamatrons… the ones who aren’t, are talking McCain. There are a lot of members of both parties who really do consider the candidates individually, and not just as party-members… and that’s where Democrat crossovers will come from.

I suspect there really is as much alienation with the conservative wing of the Democratic party and Barry as it sounds, if not more… the real question is whether it will offset Barry’s pickups in the center, conservatives who reject McCain, and an energized youth vote (though some of that shine has been wearing off of late), and the usual degree of DNC vote fraud.

E1701 on June 28, 2008 at 4:14 PM

Far right ———- McCain—-Clinton—————Obama

From that view, voting for McCain, if you are a moderate Democrat, (a “Blue Dog”, I think they call some of them), over Obama makes a _lot_ of sense.

And, for those who may not be thinking, but just feeling (which Democrats often do), they may vote for McCain because they feel that Obama stole the nomination from Clinton. (It was her time, they wanted a woman, whatever.)

McCain by 60-70 Electoral Votes.

Theophile on June 28, 2008 at 5:56 PM

Hell, Judas only wanted 30 pieces of silver. That kiss is gonna cost the Obamassiah $22 million. Hillary! ain’t eating any out of pocket expenses. Never stand between a Clinton and MONEY.

GarandFan on June 29, 2008 at 12:16 AM

While she is in Unity, New Hampshire, Bill is in Intercourse, Pa.

fredaa on June 29, 2008 at 11:20 AM

Not the kissing Bill was asking for…

johnnyU on June 29, 2008 at 1:07 PM

Fredaa….11:20am

Hilarious!!!!

Winebabe on June 29, 2008 at 2:49 PM

McCain by 60-70 Electoral Votes. Theophile on June 28, 2008 at 5:56 PM

You’re close. I think that McCain gets every state not touched by an ocean. In the end I see 40 states for McCain’s Navy and 10 states for the BH&O railroad. I’m not sure how that would break down in the electoral college.

Mojave Mark on June 30, 2008 at 12:06 AM