Video: Louisiana legislators working darned hard for that pay raise

posted at 2:09 pm on June 28, 2008 by Allahpundit

Remember what I said about not really understanding the white-hot outrage over this issue? Never mind. Click the image to watch.

lege.jpg

Comments

You should also include the EU one that instapundit has up.

lorien1973 on June 28, 2008 at 2:09 PM

I like the reaching stick; but seriously having that one chick near the end vote for 4 people is scary.

lorien1973 on June 28, 2008 at 2:15 PM

About as hard as the Ministers of the EU. Seen here

aquaviva on June 28, 2008 at 2:15 PM

I will try this on Monday with my job, ‘being there’, when in fact I’ll be gardening or flying, for pleasure.

“Better than you”!

“Politician” should be eliminated from the list of professions. 90% of our problems stem from the fact that they get comfortable inside the system. They should serve a term or two and then go back home and feel the pain of all other citizens, those they’re supposed to represent.

If you say “what can they do, outside of holding speeches, or lobbying?” – what were they doing before they were voted for one position or another?

All their arses need to be thrown out, from the far left to the far right!

Entelechy on June 28, 2008 at 2:19 PM

Puts me in mind of the Obama slogan I can’t get his people to use, “In the US Senate 4 years. Voted yea or nay 15 times (if you include that vote on pizza topping).”

snaggletoothie on June 28, 2008 at 2:19 PM

Pitchforks and torches time.
I doubt that this is just in Louisiana.

mad saint jack on June 28, 2008 at 2:20 PM

It would be interesting to find out the party affiliation of those on this video clip shown voting for other legislators and why they were doing it and where the missing legislators were. Or, is that asking too much of the Louisisana legislature? Never mind. I’m going back to my nap.

Larry L. Sharp on June 28, 2008 at 2:21 PM

Indeed snaglletoothie – of the 4 years almost the entire time was spent running for president, constituents be damned. The fools/whores are them.

Entelechy on June 28, 2008 at 2:22 PM

If Mr. Jindal signs the increase he should be recalled. Teach him a lesson Louisianna.

Entelechy on June 28, 2008 at 2:23 PM

This is an old story, but still outrageous…The news coverage I saw of it a year or so ago showed all the people in the chamber running around placing votes from dozens of empty desks. It looked like a friggin’ easter egg hunt.

Dave Rywall on June 28, 2008 at 2:23 PM

OT but, the Texas Legislature does this as well.  Nothing to see here, move along.

martywd on June 28, 2008 at 2:25 PM

This is an old story, but still outrageous…

Yeah, the most shocking part to me is that they’d still be doing it with public scrutiny so intense right now. They’re practically begging voters to circulate those recall petitions.

Allahpundit on June 28, 2008 at 2:29 PM

To think this is just something in LA, you’re mistaken. Party machines, folks.

Let’s get biometric readers for those buttons, so you have hold your thumb there while you vote. And to pay for them, use the money that would have gone for pay raises.

Nethicus on June 28, 2008 at 2:30 PM

martywd on June 28, 2008 at 2:25 PM

I was in Austin some time back on a business/pleasure trip and sat in the gallery for a while there, and I was quite surprised myself at the number of people (or lack thereof) conducting the state’s business this way.

Spirit of 1776 on June 28, 2008 at 2:34 PM

Nothing should infuriate constituents more than politicians, at all levels, from left to right, feeling, acting and living “better than us”.

Entelechy on June 28, 2008 at 2:35 PM

“Better than you”!

Entelechy on June 28, 2008 at 2:19 PM

Breathtaking arrogance.

misterpeasea on June 28, 2008 at 2:36 PM

Unbelievable. And they need a pay raise? They need a pay decrease.

amerpundit on June 28, 2008 at 2:37 PM

Wow. After watching this and reading more about the situation I’ve come to the conclusion that if Jindal doesn’t veto the pay raise he’d be, in effect, castrating himself…just like the sex offenders.

malan89 on June 28, 2008 at 2:41 PM

martywd on June 28, 2008 at 2:25 PM

Yea, that’s a big joke here in TX, I have watched it in at least two different Poli-Sci classes.

knat on June 28, 2008 at 2:45 PM

The very first legistlator who was talking to the talk show host while he was on the road (And voted 10 times !) was listed as a democrat

William Amos on June 28, 2008 at 2:47 PM

You want a RAISE?

A FRAKKIN’ RAISE??

Nethicus on June 28, 2008 at 2:30 PM

Capital idea.

hillbillyjim on June 28, 2008 at 2:54 PM

[Nethicus on June 28, 2008 at 2:30 PM]

LOL, they’d just be ordering sticks with thumbprints on the end of them.

I’m curious, if it’s illegal, what are the penalties for conviction? A bigger expense account?

Dusty on June 28, 2008 at 2:59 PM

I wonder if they have achivied video from the Illinois legislature ?

William Amos on June 28, 2008 at 3:00 PM

Yeah holy crap, these guys want a RAISE. Like AP said, the reasoning behind the outrage is coming pretty clearly into focus.

apollyonbob on June 28, 2008 at 5:07 PM

I wonder if they have archivied video from the Illinois legislature ?

William Amos on June 28, 2008 at 3:00 PM

They probably do, but who cares? It’ll just be written off as more hope and change. “Barack Obama had another State Senator cast his vote on that gun control bill because he was busy thinking about hope.”

malan89 on June 28, 2008 at 5:19 PM

Then again watching Obama vote “Present” is hardly riviting web video

William Amos on June 28, 2008 at 5:27 PM

Allah, I did not understand what the big deal was either until you showed this video. The should make it a felony crime for anyone to cast your vote as a legislator. That is what you are hired to do. It’s called a job. The idea is you work, and you get paid. I think 16k/yr is too much for these lazy worthless bozos.

paulsur on June 28, 2008 at 7:02 PM

It’s good to see people taking their work seriously. It’s not like what they do has any real importance, right? Oh, wait… They’re only legislators. Yep, no different than the little air-headed girl who won the high school student council election because she was quite the flirt. Just like her, these folks are all talk and looks, but not a brain or work ethic among them.

Send_Me on June 28, 2008 at 11:09 PM

They’re practically begging voters to circulate those recall petitions.

Allahpundit on June 28, 2008 at 2:29 PM

I think they are not so much brazen as just stupid. Really, really stupid.

Jaibones on June 29, 2008 at 12:07 AM

Nethicus on June 28, 2008 at 2:30 PM

Excellent idea!

Kafir on June 29, 2008 at 7:54 AM

They’re practically begging voters to circulate those recall petitions.

Allahpundit on June 28, 2008 at 2:29 PM

They think it can’t happen because it’s a hard task. In the past, recall efforts have basically been a handful of angry people roaming around with petitions soliciting signatures from friends, neighbors and coworkers. This time we’re organized – we’ll buy the list of registered voters in the district. You can get them electronically, so we can sort it in excel or access by street. Then we’ll have volunteers call people up and tag the signers and just get teams to go get those signatures. It’s the greatest return on the least amount of legwork, and I think we’ll actually get it done. It’s a lot easier to get volunteers to stay home and make phone calls, then go to places they’re expected, than it is to get them to go door to door.

The House is toast and they know it, which is why they’re begging Jindal to veto; for the Senate you need triple the signatures so they feel pretty safe, but we’re targeting them at election time so even if we can’t recall them we’ll get them out eventually.

Laura on June 29, 2008 at 10:20 AM

get’em Laura

Diogenes of Sinope on June 29, 2008 at 12:55 PM

Your democrat run legislature in ACTION ACTION ACTION!

Viewtifulgare on June 29, 2008 at 5:09 PM

This is a great idea. Come Monday morning, I’m getting sticks for all my co-workers. We can cover each other’s butts all week!

Jeffster on June 29, 2008 at 7:17 PM

I just watched the preliminary ad 3 times with no video about the legislators.

Thanks, dude. You wasted my time.

pabarge on June 29, 2008 at 7:54 PM

I know my question is crazy but it’s not like I have a reputation to protect here. So…

Why is this bad? In very specific terms, please.

freevillage on June 29, 2008 at 10:01 PM