Delahunt backpedals on cheerleading a terrorist attack on administration official

posted at 12:02 pm on June 28, 2008 by Ed Morrissey

William Delahunt (D-MA) told VP Dick Cheney aide David Addington how delighted he was to have al-Qaeda see him on C-SPAN during a Congressional hearing yesterday, a remark that everyone except Delahunt took as meaning that he’d like to see AQ terrorists kill Addington.  My good friend Scott Johnson at Power Line has the video of the exchange:

Delahunt asked repeatedly whether the topic of waterboarding, a controversial interrogation technique that simulates drowning, ever came up.

Addington replied that he could not discuss that because “al Qaeda may watch C-SPAN.”

“Right,” Delahunt responded. “Well, I’m sure they are watching, and I’m glad they finally have the chance to see you, Mr. Addington.”

“Yeah, I’m sure you’re pleased,” Addington shot back.

“Given your penchant for being unobtrusive,” Delahunt said of Addington’s ability to stay behind the scenes.

Delahunt called into the Mark Levin Show last night to address the controversy over these remarks. He first offered a denial as to his intention, and then apologized for his inartful statement poor wording:

It sounds to me like Delahunt only regrets that he got quoted accurately. Redstate has an effort under way to get Delahunt censured:

The left, while attacking Charlie Black for stating the obvious — that a terrorist incident helps the GOP politically because they are seen as more competent in the national security arena — is defending this degradation of congressional discourse and vile swipe at Mr. Addington.

This discourse — a member of Congress glad Al Qaeda has a face it can pursue — is beneath the dignity of the Congress and beneath the dignity of civil discourse in this country.

If you do not call your Congressman today and demand the House of Representatives, at the very *least*, censure Congressman Delahunt, well damn us all. We have no right to carry on our fight.

I consider this far more egregious than anything Charlie Black said. It deserves censure, and I’d encourage people to call their Representatives and Senators to insist on it, but I’m not sure it rises to the level where we lose our right to dissent otherwise if we don’t. Delahunt is a first-class jerk and, after listening to this clip, a bit of a weasel as well, but let’s not make him into Adam Gadahn and sound hysterical.

Someone should ask Barack Obama about this as well. Delahunt is one of his superdelegates and an early supporter of Obama’s in the primaries. Does Obama share Delahunt’s glee, or will he criticize Delahunt with the same zeal his campaign demonstrated with Black?

Comments

Look out for the bus,dude. A little weasel in a helmet is driving it, and he’s vengeful!

bbz123 on June 28, 2008 at 12:07 PM

Delahunt is also OOOgo’s Congressman.

Blackacre on June 28, 2008 at 12:07 PM

Delahunt, Kennedy, Kerry and that idiot lawyer who bragged he would terrorize victims of child rapists all belong to the Massachusetts Branch of Al Qaeda.

MaiDee on June 28, 2008 at 12:18 PM

Ed, how in the world do you equate rooting for a terrorist to kill your political opponent to your right of dissent? That would take one helluva convuluted mind to think in those terms.

Capitalist Infidel on June 28, 2008 at 12:22 PM

It was just inartful phrasing. That’s all.

exhelodrvr on June 28, 2008 at 12:25 PM

That’s not the Delahunt I know.

whitetop on June 28, 2008 at 12:25 PM

You know Delahunt, who isn’t even on the committee, was there in most part just to say such a thing. This wasn’t spontaneous educed by Addington, but a wisecrack brought to the meeting with malice aforethought.

Any disagreement, small or large, with these “patriotic dissenters” by the opposition is more than enough for them to go running rhetorically into the enemies arms for redress of their grievances.

Dusty on June 28, 2008 at 12:26 PM

IS THE BUS READY???

pueblo1032 on June 28, 2008 at 12:27 PM

I could no more disown Delahunt than I could disown the entire sniveling, backstabbing superdelegate community.

whitetop on June 28, 2008 at 12:29 PM

So will Conmrade Obama throw this sack ** under his bus as well? Going to need a much bigger bus. He should be asked … When will bloggers get to be part of the people’s press corps? The one we have appears to have a certain leaning, just can’t put my finger on it right now.

Wishing the al Qaeda terrorist know who you are and can identify you, is worse than what anyone else has said. The Democrats are truly going off the deep end with BDS.

tarpon on June 28, 2008 at 12:29 PM

The excesses of Addington and Yoo probably gave Obama the presidency.

Why would Obama want Addington hurt?

alphie on June 28, 2008 at 12:31 PM

An unfortunate choice of words by a fool looking to score points.

Get over it.

Al Queda watches C-Span, MSNBC, CNN and more. No doubt they watch Entourage too, and curse the morally bankrupt infidels whilst ogling Vince’s girlfriends.

They’re the losers slumming it in caves by Kandahar. They’re the ciphers reduced to using retarded people as human bombs to kill members of the Ummah in iraq.

We’re the big boys with the functioning countries, functioning economies, and the most powerful military force known to man.

F*ck’em.

Ares on June 28, 2008 at 12:33 PM

Typical big mouth liberal . . . no guts.

rplat on June 28, 2008 at 12:34 PM

why can’t i think of him as a terrorist enabler? Don’t try to explain his actions away. He said what he said and he meant it.

tomas on June 28, 2008 at 12:35 PM

The Peoples Republic of Massachusets sure knows how to pick em!

Is it something in the water or just a mutant gene pool?

Delahunt would last about 2 seconds in my neck of the woods after letting his mouth overload his a$$ in that fashion.
Polite discussion is welcome. Talking trash is a challenge that will be answered with great vigor!

Who keeps voting these middle aged punks to office?
How much are We paying this chump anyway?

Oh…he is a democrat, enough said.

old trooper on June 28, 2008 at 12:36 PM

How does this help Michelle’s children?

catmman on June 28, 2008 at 12:38 PM

Democrats BDS is in full frenzy. They know they only have, what, six or seven months till the administration leaves?

They are looking for a Scooter Libby sequel. They know they have nothing on the president, nothing on Cheney, so they’re looking anyone in a mad attempt to nail someone to their cross.

Clinton had it easy. At least he got a BJ out of it.

Kini on June 28, 2008 at 12:45 PM

Scum.

trigon on June 28, 2008 at 12:46 PM

“Does Obama share Delahunt’s glee, or will he criticize Delahunt with the same zeal his campaign demonstrated with Black?” Good question. My bet goes to ‘the sound of silence’.

Christine on June 28, 2008 at 12:48 PM

Delahunt is a first-class jerk and, after listening to this clip, a bit of a weasel as well, but let’s not make him into Adam Gadahn…

Ok, Delahunt is an ignorant, cowardly democrap and should resign his seat immediately. The sad thing is that he’s just your typical democrap congressman. Completely and unashamedly full of himself.

Zorro on June 28, 2008 at 12:51 PM

Well, IIRC, didn’t Barry O say in his book that he would side with the Muslims in the event of any more attacks?
Has he changed that notion yet today?

bbz123 on June 28, 2008 at 12:51 PM

I heard this Massachussetts liberal idiot last night being interviewed by Mark Levin. He used the classical DemOrat escape phrase of, “I misspoke.” But he FAILED to answer the question of, would he approve of interrogation methods “if water-boarding saved Boston from a dirty bomb.”

I know there’s a lot of good people in Massachussetts, however, it takes a certain amount of fools, to keep voting this liberal fool into congress.

byteshredder on June 28, 2008 at 12:52 PM

Delahunt is a damn liar.
He said what he meant and it’s clear what he said and what he meant.
He gets called on it and he outright lies.
Sick. Twisted. Ass. Can I say ass around here?

bridgetown on June 28, 2008 at 12:52 PM

Here’s the email to my congressman:

Dear Congressman Lampson,

Earlier this week, the exchange below between the Honorable William Delahunt, congressman from Massachusetts, and David Addington, former chief of staff to the Vice President took place during a hearing of the House Judiciary Committee:

DELAHUNT: Oh I can understand why [the President] doesn’t talk about it.

ADDINGTON: Because you kind of communicate with al Qaeda. If you do — I can’t talk to you, al Qaeda may watch C-SPAN.

DELAHUNT: Right. Well, I’m sure they are watching, and I’m glad they finally have a chance to see you, Mr. Addington.

ADDINGTON: Yeah, I’m sure you’re pleased.

I sincerely hope you find this as appalling as I. This exchange was broadcast on C-SPAN and available to those who would like nothing more than to take the life of this dedicated public servant, and the member of your caucus from Massachusetts seems to be encouraging this very act.

I believe a strong response to this kind of hate speech is needed. I suggest you propose or support any actions to see to it this member is at very least censured, preferably expelled for such speech.

I understand from news reports that Congressman Delahunt has stated he either said or meant to say “I” instead of “they” in the second citation above. Please, I saw the video. The context is clear. The congressman has been unapologetic for wishing harm on a high executive branch official, and deserves to be adequately punished.

As your constituent, I await your considered response.

My Name,
La Porte, Texas

Lampson slipped into Tom Delay’s TX22 seat last year as a result of Delay’s resignation and the Democrats keeping another Republican off the ballot. He doesn’t stand a chance this fall.

And of course, he’ll ignore my request.

HogsBreath on June 28, 2008 at 12:52 PM

Can I say ass around here?

bridgetown on June 28, 2008 at 12:52 PM

Sure you can.

It represents their party.

Kini on June 28, 2008 at 12:54 PM

old trooper on June 28, 2008 at 12:36 PM

Texas? I’m planning on moving to the US, so I’m curious.

JiangxiDad on June 28, 2008 at 12:59 PM

MaiDee on June 28, 2008 at 12:18 PM

And why would you expect anything different from any member of the Democratic Party of Perpetual Hate?

leanright on June 28, 2008 at 1:05 PM

Oh give me a break. I’m gagging on all the puffed up self-righteousness over this. I guess John Yoo’s refusal to admit the President isn’t allowed to order a prisoner buried alive isn’t noteworthy to you people.

Grow Fins on June 28, 2008 at 1:09 PM

and i thought my state had the market cornered on traitors pos .
What ever happened to the good old days of tar and feathering and riding them out on a rail.
If anything happens to Mr Addington then that ass Delahunt needs to be charges as a co conspirator . And then hung by the neck until dead dead dead. Maybe then these dirt bags would watch what they say .

Mojack420 on June 28, 2008 at 1:11 PM

Capitalist Infidel on June 28, 2008 at 12:22 PM

Uhm. He doesn’t?

I’m not sure it rises to the level where we lose our right to dissent

misterpeasea on June 28, 2008 at 1:12 PM

Grow Fins on June 28, 2008 at 1:09 PM

It’s more likely he refused to discuss something that stupid.
May I suggest that instead of fins, you concentrate on growing wiser?

leanright on June 28, 2008 at 1:13 PM

Grow Fins on June 28, 2008 at 1:09 PM

I agree. It’s perfectly OK to hope that terrorists kill your political opponents. It’s just horrible to contemplate being unkind to a terrorist.

misterpeasea on June 28, 2008 at 1:13 PM

Classless fool. Is this the best America can produce? When did it become acceptable for politicians to behave like hyper-emotional preteens, in a formal hearing no less, and then apologizes the next day? Grow up Mr. Delahunt. We can get a bunch of teenagers to act like you and pay them less.

Claypigeon on June 28, 2008 at 1:14 PM

[Grow Fins on June 28, 2008 at 1:09 PM]

Yeah, it’s noteworthy. What Dem asked him the question and we’ll note it.

Dusty on June 28, 2008 at 1:15 PM

Rise above it now. He’s been exposed as a weakling, a pansy, an idiot, and a quasi-traitor. Let that steep with his constituency a while and see where he ends up next election.

Question. Is there not a single bona fide conservative in Delahuntland?
One who is not a tenured minion of the flaccid GOP apparatchik?
One who could run on a conservative platform down the line, and annihilate this guy?

epluribusunum on June 28, 2008 at 1:23 PM

Right. And Clinton didn’t have sex with that woman, Kennedy didn’t leave Mary Jo drowning in Chappaquidick, and Barry O really agrees with the Supreme’s decision on the DC gun ban.

/gullibility

rmgraha on June 28, 2008 at 1:27 PM

HogsBreath on June 28, 2008 at 12:52 PM

Bravo HogsBreath. I sent him an email as well.
Simular and asking him him to resign.

Texyank on June 28, 2008 at 1:27 PM

Capitalist Infidel on June 28, 2008 at 12:22 PM

Uhm. He doesn’t?

I’m not sure it rises to the level where we lose our right to dissent

misterpeasea on June 28, 2008 at 1:12 PM

Uhm. Yes he did. And you proved it. Thanks!

Capitalist Infidel on June 28, 2008 at 1:27 PM

This is not the Delahunt I know. It’s an inartfully worded, boneheaded mistake, and I could no more disown William Delahunt than I could disown my own grandmother.

Buy Danish on June 28, 2008 at 1:28 PM

The reps from Mass need to be purged in the most uncomfortable manner possible.

Viper1 on June 28, 2008 at 1:29 PM

Grow Fins on June 28, 2008 at 1:09 PM

Whos being the self-righteous one here.

Texyank on June 28, 2008 at 1:29 PM

This should quell any lingering doubt as to whether the violent, anarchist, hard-left has sucked the soul out of the once-great democrat party.

This is the kind of information that ought to find its way into the hands of the old-time democrats who still don’t get that they’ve been owned.

jeff_from_mpls on June 28, 2008 at 1:34 PM

Are voters in Mass. proud of the terrorist and pedophile cheerleaders that they have elected to office?

Blake on June 28, 2008 at 1:34 PM

Massachusetts needs an enema to rid it of human waste like this guy. Yet… they just keep electing him and creeps like him.

Mojave Mark on June 28, 2008 at 1:39 PM

The Peoples Republic of Massachusets sure knows how to pick em!

Is it something in the water or just a mutant gene pool?
old trooper on June 28, 2008 at 12:36 PM

We in MA are elitist snobs that amuse each other with witty remarks like those from our dear reprehensive whoops I mean representative. (Darn those spell checkers.) We wouldn’t dear lower ourselves to the level required to explain his sophisticated and nuanced wit to the lower class, witless, uncivilized and unwashed masses. Do you know we all speak French when we engage in love play? But hope for you is on the way because once BO get in you will all want to be just like us. In fact I’m pretty sure he plans on making it mandatory.

jmarcure on June 28, 2008 at 1:40 PM

Mojave Mark on June 28, 2008 at 1:39 PM

You trying to clean out my state? Do that and there wouldn’t be anyone left.
Hey, I do my part and have never voted for anyone with a D after their name. Which means I write in Micky Mouse a real lot.

jmarcure on June 28, 2008 at 1:42 PM

Refusal to admit?

Yoo’s task was to give his legal opinion on the powers of the President acting as commander-in-chief during war.

Nowhere did he say he supported any harsh interrogation techniques. In fact, he gave no opinion on any techniques. Because he wasn’t asked to do so.

He only gave his legal opinion – which he was tasked to do – about the constitutional powers of the president during a conflict.

Anyway, what does Yoo’s legal views have to do with Delahunt’s cheap comment about Al-Qaeda getting to see Addington’s face?

SteveMG on June 28, 2008 at 1:43 PM

This page crashes my IE and is giving this here Safari fits. Anyone else having problems? Something about a MIME type being invalid.

jmarcure on June 28, 2008 at 1:44 PM

Uhm. Yes he did. And you proved it. Thanks!

Capitalist Infidel on June 28, 2008 at 1:27 PM

You must be joking.

Redstate said:

Ed, in response to Redstate, said:

So Redstate said if we don’t call and demand censure, then we have no right to carry on our fight, i.e., we have no right to dissent.

And Ed said yes, calling to demand censure would be nice, but if we don’t, I’m not sure we lose our right to dissent.

So Ed didn’t equate rooting for a terrorist to kill your political opponent to the right to dissent. And actually, neither did Redstate. Redstate equated failure to demand censure with the loss of the right to dissent. And Ed disagreed even with that.

So basically, you have no idea what you’re talking about.

misterpeasea on June 28, 2008 at 1:59 PM

This Hugo Chavez loving POS is my Congressman. I called and emailed the disgraceful SOB. I’m going to do whatever I can to see him defeated.

I’ve said it a million times and I’ll say it again. MA is like Fallujah before the surge. A minority controls a majority and the majority stopped fighting a long time ago. The only time we muster a fight is the Governors race where we just ended 16 straight years of Republican Govs and special issues like property taxes or gay marriage. The Dem party controls everything and hence through patronage and outright fraud rigs every election.

Here’s a perfect example. The people passed an initiative petition to amend the state constitution to end gay marriage. Deval Patrick tried to ignore the law which requires the legislature to vote. The SCJ ordered the vote. Deval Patrick went in, in broad daylight, and “purchased” enough votes through jobs, appointments, etc., to swing enough Legislators to vote against the amendment….That’s corrupt MA for you and that’s how the keep the majority down.

Delahunt used to be a DA and a State Legislator. He worked a deal to make DAs part of the State Police for the purposes of retirement so that he could get another $53,000 a year pension from the State.

The State is corrupt to the bone. That corruption is what puts the Delahunts and the Fagans in Office…

TheBigOldDog on June 28, 2008 at 1:59 PM

ed;

here’s a reminder:

delahunt is pals with chavez, too.

there is no enemy of the USA that scum lefties like delahunt WON’T cozy up to.

censure is too good for him. too easy on him.

he deserves to be tarred and feathered.

reliapundit on June 28, 2008 at 2:00 PM

Congress censure a dem. yell when (HELL) frezzes over

thmcbb on June 28, 2008 at 2:05 PM

The Dems seem to clarifying their statements a lot lately. Are they afraid of the bus?

d1carter on June 28, 2008 at 3:03 PM

LIAR

peacenprosperity on June 28, 2008 at 3:07 PM

Once again, something to make me soooo proud to have been born and raised in the People’s Republic of Taxachusetts.

I’m sure the MA GOP has found exactly zero people willing to run against the Dhimmy idiots representing this Republik.

Mooseman on June 28, 2008 at 3:12 PM

Almost no stories in the msm news about the Delahunt comment.

It goes without saying that we’d be seeing a very different press reaction be right now if for example a Republican member of the 9/11 Commission angry at Clinton-era Justice Dept. policy ever told Jamie Gorelick in open televised testimony how glad he was that Al Qaeda got to finally see what she looks like, considering what a recluse she was?

Mike D. on June 28, 2008 at 3:47 PM

Good thing for Delahunt they don’t have rhyming slang in Massachusettes.

RobCon on June 28, 2008 at 4:01 PM

“Of course Americans should vote Democrat.”

-Jihad Jaara, senior member of the Al Aqsa Martyrs Brigades, leader of the 2002 siege of Bethlehem’s Church of the Nativity
The throat slitters know who is on their side in this country.

The ironic thing is that, given the chance, they would cut this fool’s throat quicker than they would yours or mine, or Addington’s…as he was apologizing and negotiating with them of course.

labrat on June 28, 2008 at 4:31 PM

Delahunt Baggadouche

/fixed it

dont taze me bro on June 28, 2008 at 4:46 PM

Look at that dead-eyed expression on Delahunt’s face as he questions Addington. He’s obviously trying to set up a gotcha. When Addington notes that he knows where Delahunt is going with his question, Delahunt’s expression becomes smarmy as he delivers his recorded rejoinder about AlQaeda recognizing Addington’s face. There is no question what the intent of Delahunt was.

This nonsense about waterboarding that the Dems want to cling to as an atrocity is beyond absurd. You’d think that our interrogation techniqes were as bad as pulling fingernails, gouging eyes, or electrical shocking.

What pathetic representation the people in Delahunt’s district have!

onlineanalyst on June 28, 2008 at 5:24 PM

Speaking of setting up a “gotcha”, onlineanalyst, there’s this from Power Line:

There is a bit of a backstory here that may not have been reported. Rep. Delahunt is a member of the House Judiciary Committee, but not of the subcommittee that was holding the hearing. As such, Delahunt was not entitled to participate in the hearing, but could do so only with the unanimous consent of the members present. Delahunt was so eager to cross-examine Addington and Yoo and demonstrate his hostility to the Bush administration that he showed up and asked to question the witnesses. The subcommittee’s chairman, Jerrold Nadler, asked for such consent, but Republican Steve King of Iowa refused. Delahunt stuck around, and when King left the room, another member ceded his time to Delahunt so that Delahunt could go after the witnesses. Chairman Nadler agreed, since Rep. King “didn’t care enough to stay.” Delahunt proceeded, and the above exchange ensued. The entire hearing was conducted in an atmosphere of poisonous partisanship, and Delahunt’s suggestion that in the controversial exchange he was merely trying to be cordial toward Addington is laughable.

andycanuck on June 28, 2008 at 7:33 PM

The people in Massachusettes are idiots for voting this weasel into office. He’s a real slime ball.

UnEasyRider on June 28, 2008 at 11:52 PM

Good thing for Delahunt they don’t have rhyming slang in Massachusettes.

RobCon on June 28, 2008 at 4:01 PM