Audio: Comprehensive immigration reform “will be my top priority yesterday, today, and tomorrow,” says McCain

posted at 4:53 pm on June 28, 2008 by Allahpundit

Top priority overall or just top domestic priority? Iraq and the economy can wait, I guess. The clip comes, via reader Edgar M, from today’s appearance before NALEO, in which he and Obama took turns to see who could pander most cravenly on immigration. Truth be told, there’s little new here: Lip service is duly paid to securing the border despite the questioner’s emphasis on comprehensive reform “and not just enforcement,” and he recycles his old line about illegals being “God’s children too” as a way of insinuating, a la his crony’s notorious remarks about telling “the bigots” to shut up, that one really can’t oppose amnesty and be a minimally decent human being. Par for the course.

It’s nice to know, though, that the very first 100 days of a McCain administration will be consumed with an internecine fight on the right to stop his next round of crap legislation from passing. Can’t wait. If you’re curious to see what Obama said in reply, here’s a recap from Reuters. To the left, of course (minus Mickey Kaus), McCain’s problem is that he isn’t a big enough amnesty shill. Exit quotation from Obama, demonstrating a charming obliviousness to the fact that he himself flip-flopped on nearly every issue he commented on this past week: “If we are going to solve the challenges we face, we can’t vacillate, we can’t shift depending on our politics.”

Link: sevenload.com

Comments

Comment pages: 1 6 7 8

OldEnglish on June 29, 2008 at 11:55 PM

LOL.. I have to tell you OldEnglish that my British friend and I have gone round and round on this issue and finally have agreed there is the English version of English, then there is the American version of English, then there is the Texan version of English. That’s probably the reason it caught my eye. ;)

Texas Gal on June 30, 2008 at 12:10 AM

I actually thought that was the video where he talked about being in Okinawa and stuff. Sorry, it was the wrong link.

Spirit of 1776 on June 30, 2008 at 12:07 AM

Don’t be sorry. It was the right link, and very touching. It was the Iwo Jima segment. I just missed any Air Force reference. ;)

You know, it’s hard to believe the world we live in has sprung from the world we fought in 65 years ago.

If you approached 100 people today and asked; “are you familiar with the name Iwo Jima?,” how many would be able to answer… at all?

wccawa on June 30, 2008 at 12:11 AM

wccawa on June 30, 2008 at 12:11 AM

So true.

Yeah, I’m curious as to the answer to that question. I think the answer would be depressing.

The people that are around me are somewhat self-selected, so not exactly a true measure. And on the flip side, like Leno’s man on the street bit, I think people freeze, so hard to tell.

Spirit of 1776 on June 30, 2008 at 12:19 AM

Anyway, I’m out. Enjoy the balance of your night, all.

Spirit of 1776 on June 30, 2008 at 12:20 AM

Same here. All the best to everyone. Keep the HOPE! Dream of CHANGE! CHOPE!

Y’all have a great day tomorrow.

wccawa on June 30, 2008 at 12:29 AM

McCain 08! (*or the next best thing if you can get him on the ballot).
Limerick on June 29, 2008 at 11:30 PM

Actually, the next best thing to McCain IS on the ballot. His name is Obama.

(No, I’m not saying Obama is even remotely good, I’m just playing with Limerick’s words written in exhaustion. ;)

LegendHasIt on June 30, 2008 at 12:47 AM

My last contribution to this thread – I would love to ask McCain, Obama, and like-minded thinkers what they would do about sanctuary policies in cities like SF, after reading

THIS story

and THIS story

and a follow-up here.

There were ZERO sympathetic comments about sanctuary policy in the (very liberal) SF paper web site about these stories. Maybe a sea change at long last! SF liberals may have realized that a vast underground illegal society and economy has a steep price – human lives.

fred5678 on June 30, 2008 at 1:47 AM

Sorry – follow up story here.

fred5678 on June 30, 2008 at 1:52 AM

Not many seemed to be offended by his namecalling of them and me.

TG, you must read more carefully. A few of us called him on it, in different ways.

Sue me.. in an EU court..

Texas Gal on June 29, 2008 at 11:55 PM

I’m not litigious, have no motive, but if I had, why in an EU court if flenser, myself and you are all American citizens? Hence, my comment, above.

p.s. I assume that you are an American citizen.

your English spelling of American words
Texas Gal on June 29, 2008 at 10:45 PM
Now, come on! Fair does! English spelling of English words, if you don’t mind :)

OldEnglish on June 29, 2008 at 11:55 PM

Entelechy on June 30, 2008 at 2:07 AM

Mistake, I copied OldEnglish’s reply, noted that TG already answered, and forgot to delete it. Ignore all text after the p.s.

Entelechy on June 30, 2008 at 2:09 AM

BOTH McCain and Obama are pigs, but I’m starting to hope Obama wins because McCain’s utter arrogance about illegal immigration needs to be punished hard. LET Obama become America’s answer to David Dinkins; just let me hide my assets first.

Spanglemaker on June 30, 2008 at 9:09 AM

Hope all you Republican KoolAid drinkers are ok! Good luck with your hanging on to the “McCain will appoint great Supreme’s argument” after the current justices voted against him again! Us conservatives will sit on the sidelines and will write to say that we told you so as often as possible!

sabbott on June 30, 2008 at 9:18 AM

I’m starting to hope Obama wins because McCain’s…
Spanglemaker on June 30, 2008 at 9:09 AM

Theres a word for people like you.

wise_man on June 30, 2008 at 9:21 AM

Sue me.. in an EU court..

Texas Gal on June 29, 2008 at 11:55 PM

Entelechy on June 30, 2008 at 2:07 AM

Sorry Entelechy that was a poorly constructed comment on my part. It was late for me and I was busy doing several things at the same time and headed to bed.

That last part was intended to be directed at flenser. The sue me in an EU court.

However the first part about fair play was directed at your previous comment:

Surely some of you can attack flenser on plenty – but for being an American? or fot not being American enough?

I assume you were directing that at me since I was the one asking about his citizenship. And I wasn’t attacking him about it. I was questioning him about it since I was curious why he was using the English (British) spelling for certain words. I feel his nationality is relevant to the discussion. My curiosity was peaked since I do have a few European born friends in my circle who don’t seem to understand the significance of our Constitution in our election process and simply want to change the way our government is chosen to mirror a more European Parliamentary system. This was what I was reading in flenser’s comments. Evidently, so was Spirit, thus his comment earlier about not changing the Constitution.

As far as your instructions to me to read more carefully because others had called him out about his tactics of insulting others who didn’t praise his intellect, well, granted given the length of the thread and the fact that I don’t sit here all day and read every comment, there sure might be some there but they must be pretty few and far between because my scanning of comments to catch up before I made a comment didn’t reveal any except from those that were being insulted by flenser, like me.

Texas Gal on June 30, 2008 at 11:00 AM

Theres a word for people like you.

wise_man on June 30, 2008 at 9:21 AM

Patriot?

Esthier on June 30, 2008 at 11:05 AM

I’ve been sick of McCain for the last few years. Comments like these are just pushing it. He clearly doesn’t want my vote.

Esthier on June 30, 2008 at 11:09 AM

Texas Gal on June 30, 2008 at 11:00 AM

Thanks for clarifying Texas Gal.

I thought I had to get a lawyer :)

I didn’t read all comments either. Cordially,

Entelechy on June 30, 2008 at 12:02 PM

Well. At least more of you will finally get a chance to sample authentic Mexican food.

TheUnrepentantGeek on June 30, 2008 at 12:16 PM

Thanks for clarifying Texas Gal.

I thought I had to get a lawyer :)

I didn’t read all comments either. Cordially,

Entelechy on June 30, 2008 at 12:02 PM

Hey.. lawyeringup ain’t in my budget.. :)

Texas Gal on June 30, 2008 at 12:30 PM

You know what is really missing from this thread is the clip of what Obama said in front of NALEO.

That could push it to at least 2000 comments!

Texas Gal on June 30, 2008 at 12:32 PM

“illegals being “God’s children too” leaves out: render unto Caesar what is his. Juan sure can pander. This is the issue that keeps me wondering whether i will vote for him, in a blue state.

Christine on June 30, 2008 at 1:04 PM

722. Why not?

hillbillyjim on June 30, 2008 at 1:09 PM

I, for one, welcome my small part in the unending thread. Is it happy hour yet? ’cause that should it past 1000 easy.

wccawa on June 30, 2008 at 2:09 PM

It has to be 5 o’clock somewhere..:p

Barack Obama at 25th Annual NALEO Conference

*health advisory for those taking BP meds.. don’t look!

Texas Gal on June 30, 2008 at 2:38 PM

We could start a drinking game and drink a shot of Mexican tequila every time Obama uses the word Latino.

;)

Texas Gal on June 30, 2008 at 2:42 PM

;)

Texas Gal on June 30, 2008 at 2:42 PM

Hey, as long as liver transplants are part of the National Health Care plan then I say go for it!

Limerick on June 30, 2008 at 3:00 PM

That idiot McCain could say that Hitler was one of God’s children too.

The stark reality is that illegals are thieving cheaters that game the system for their own selfish reasons. And dumb ass McCain wants to reward the law breaking cheating with the greatest gift of all. This stupid move will corrupt the electorate with criminal cheaters that should be denyed citizenship because of their failure to obey our laws. They all should be kicked out, and sent to prison if they return. Now that is government spending I can believe in.

Illegals are a negative for America, not a positive. The voting public knows it, but that idiot McCain thinks he knows better. McCain is too stupid to be POTUS. Obama is not nearly as stupid: just really gullable. Why can’t these shithead politicians wake up and look at Kosovo and learn that flooding a culture with an unwanted inferior corrupt culture is nothing but trouble that takes down the whole shitaree. If Latinos want to be US citizens, why can’t they follow the rules like every other group has done.

There is no way I can vote for that carpetbagger McCain, or that phoney Obama. As much as I hate it, I will sit this one out and let the sheep elect their wolf.

saiga on June 30, 2008 at 4:19 PM

Mexican tequila will be my top priority yesterday, today and tomorrow.

(slurs…. stumbles… falls)

wccawa on June 30, 2008 at 4:41 PM

wccawa on June 30, 2008 at 2:09 PM

Did someone say HAPPY HOUR?!!!

I just bought a bottle of Bushmills the other day (Day One of this thread, actually. H/T: Texas Gal).

Come on over!

: )

catmman on June 30, 2008 at 4:56 PM

Fabricated quotes? Check

Keep lying, Jet Jerk.

flenser on June 29, 2008 at 7:19 PM

Weren’t these fabricated by you?:

“Look, I do too support securing the border! How dare anyone suggest that I do not!

“It’s just that I think securing the border is a stupid idea, a waste of time, and would have a devastating effect on our country.”

“But I do indeed strongly support border secuity!”

flenser on June 29, 2008 at 6:27 PM

You wrote those quotes ad attributed them to me.

Lying. You still haven’t said a dang thing about how I have lied…..*waiting*

JetBoy on June 30, 2008 at 5:58 PM

Some guys need two arse kickings to better understand their opponents. Let McCain bring up his Amnesty Bill again. He’ll get the same arse kicking he got last year. I’m looking foward to it.

orlandocajun on June 30, 2008 at 6:20 PM

(slurs…. stumbles… falls)

wccawa on June 30, 2008 at 4:41 PM

ROFLMAO!

Did someone say HAPPY HOUR?!!!

Come on over!

: )

catmman on June 30, 2008 at 4:56 PM

;)

I just heard Michael Chertoff on Fox tell Brit (I think) that it would take about 2 ½ – 3 years to get the southern border under control. Now that’s the kind of details I want to hear. Next I want to know what criteria is going to be used and by whom to determine the border is secure. We need to hold McCain to that promise. In 3 years of enforcement and squeezing the borer we could force a lot of illegals to go home.

All I’ve heard from Obama on this is that he wants to give amnesty without any pre-conditions such as a secured border.

Texas Gal on June 30, 2008 at 6:45 PM

So, he’s still a backstabbing sob? Character DOES matter, but, unfortunately for us, McLame doesn’t have any. IMHO.

TimothyJ on June 30, 2008 at 6:57 PM

Did I hear Texas Gal is having Happy Hour?

*looks around*

JetBoy on June 30, 2008 at 7:02 PM

“My friends…”

(drinks)

“CHOPE!”

(drinks)

I figure by November, I will be a Good Citizen.

wccawa on June 30, 2008 at 9:08 PM

LOL..

Oh wow, I’m a bad hostess..

Looks ya started without me.. guess that’s a good excuse to catch up.. ;)

Texas Gal on June 30, 2008 at 10:22 PM

I say Juan “Z-Visa” McCain is the most shameless panderer to the Illegal Alien chuntes and their supporters. Am I wrong? It’s aclose one folks. I think ol’ “Z-Visa” is trying to get revenge for getting his McCain/Kennedy AMNESTY bill shoved up his anal pore…Just my impression!!

DfDeportation on June 30, 2008 at 11:39 PM

My grass needs mowed. Sign me UP!

Static on June 30, 2008 at 11:41 PM

Message from Republican Headquarters…To all conservatives – suck it! Yes this means you! You lost…we won…get over it! Now it’s time to get on board and send us your money! We don’t like you and we don’t respect you! We think you are less than dog puke, but your money spends so send it! Lots of it! We won’t support your issues, we don’t care about your issues, we won’t ever support your issues but we need your money so send it! Gobs of it! Muhahahahahah!

sabbott on July 1, 2008 at 10:02 AM

739 & still a bust…

Griz on July 2, 2008 at 10:25 AM

This man is not my cup of tea but anything is better than Obama. Holding nose, and voting for the old geezer.

Why must we always be voting for the lesser of the two evils? Three hundred million people and not one who fits the bill. We are so screwed.

UnEasyRider on July 2, 2008 at 6:56 PM