Audio: Comprehensive immigration reform “will be my top priority yesterday, today, and tomorrow,” says McCain

posted at 4:53 pm on June 28, 2008 by Allahpundit

Top priority overall or just top domestic priority? Iraq and the economy can wait, I guess. The clip comes, via reader Edgar M, from today’s appearance before NALEO, in which he and Obama took turns to see who could pander most cravenly on immigration. Truth be told, there’s little new here: Lip service is duly paid to securing the border despite the questioner’s emphasis on comprehensive reform “and not just enforcement,” and he recycles his old line about illegals being “God’s children too” as a way of insinuating, a la his crony’s notorious remarks about telling “the bigots” to shut up, that one really can’t oppose amnesty and be a minimally decent human being. Par for the course.

It’s nice to know, though, that the very first 100 days of a McCain administration will be consumed with an internecine fight on the right to stop his next round of crap legislation from passing. Can’t wait. If you’re curious to see what Obama said in reply, here’s a recap from Reuters. To the left, of course (minus Mickey Kaus), McCain’s problem is that he isn’t a big enough amnesty shill. Exit quotation from Obama, demonstrating a charming obliviousness to the fact that he himself flip-flopped on nearly every issue he commented on this past week: “If we are going to solve the challenges we face, we can’t vacillate, we can’t shift depending on our politics.”

Link: sevenload.com

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2 3 8

Illegals are God’s children too? What if they’re Muslims?

Akzed on June 28, 2008 at 4:55 PM

They are indeed God’s children… but heck, God has lotsa rules people don’t like.

GoodBoy on June 28, 2008 at 4:58 PM

Lord, how I despise that man.

Blake on June 28, 2008 at 4:59 PM

This election is getting so depressing.

OneGyT on June 28, 2008 at 5:00 PM

Before it starts, let’s keep tabs on how many posters use the term, “Hold my nose and vote for JM”, or, “Obama would be even worse”…

Talon on June 28, 2008 at 5:02 PM

Juan “Z-Visa” McCain thinks Roger Mahony is doing God’s work…..geeeezzzz

DfDeportation on June 28, 2008 at 5:04 PM

I stand firm in my conviction that I will not nor will I ever vote for Juan… I’ll do my duty on the rest of the ballot but not the President slot. I want neither candidate leading me.

MNDavenotPC on June 28, 2008 at 5:04 PM

I thought McCain was all about staying away from lobbyists and special interest groups. How much better can you get than the two above in illegal immigration?

I would like to know what “Secure the borders first” means when McCain says it. In any event, once the borders have been “secured” look to McCain to lead the amnesty charge.

Sigh.

Weebork on June 28, 2008 at 5:05 PM

Illegals are God’s children too.

And so are gang bangers, drug dealers, pirates, and everyone in American prisons. What kind of argument starts from that ridiculous premise?

Lehosh on June 28, 2008 at 5:05 PM

I thought the top priority of any leader of a nation was national defense.

Wethal on June 28, 2008 at 5:05 PM

Hey, let me keep on relentlessly pounding on the issue my party’s base is really pissed off about.
I am starting to believe that John McCain has made a huge offshore wager on Obama to win in November because any other reason shows him to be a complete idiot.

jjshaka on June 28, 2008 at 5:05 PM

It will be better that Obama wins than for open borders Republicans to be able to say that a Republican was elected president promising comprehensive reform.

Mark1971 on June 28, 2008 at 5:06 PM

But what are we going to do, let Obama get elected?

You may not like some of the things McCain says on some issues, but you’re really going to hate every minute of an Obama presidency, every single minute.

Let’s face it we didn’t get the candidate we’d prefer but as Rumsfeld said, you go go war with the army you have, not the army you’d like to have.

McCain 2008 and pray a lot.

johnsteele on June 28, 2008 at 5:07 PM

Talon on June 28, 2008 at 5:02 PM

Let’s also keep track of how many times “Juan”, “Juan McShamnesty”, and “traitor” are used.

amerpundit on June 28, 2008 at 5:07 PM

If McCain gets elected he’ll see that as an endorsement of his amnesty policies and he will claim it is a “national consensus.” I’m so tired of getting fudged.

Blake on June 28, 2008 at 5:08 PM

Just one comment, John, and carefully considered:

STFU

Cicero43 on June 28, 2008 at 5:08 PM

He’s gonna blow this thing completely if he keeps rubbing turpentine on the wrong sunburn. There will be a tipping point at which his positives and Obama fear won’t carry the day. We’re early enough in the campaign, he can damage himself very badly at this rate. Dumb, dumb, dumb.

a capella on June 28, 2008 at 5:09 PM

Well, I’ll contribute 1 comment toward the 500.

When Sen. McCain says it’s his top priority, there is no way to minimize what a vote for him represents. A vote for McCain is a vote for amnesty.

Maybe some other things positions come with it, but clearly his vision of immigration reform is the “mandate” that the votes that lead to his election will represent in his mind.

Spirit of 1776 on June 28, 2008 at 5:11 PM

As I said earlier today in a different thread…

McVain will earn or lose my vote apart from “not-Obama” logic. Either he agrees with my stances on war, economy, immigration, energy, size of gov’t, earmarks, judges, etc… or he doesn’t agree with me.

To this point he has most notably flipped me the bird on immigration (as he has done again today!), energy and other issues. If Maverick wants my vote, he will only earn it with a correct platform.

I will vote for POTUS in November… but, as of now, I will require a pen to do so.

knob on June 28, 2008 at 5:11 PM

Well, I’ll contribute 1 comment toward the 500.

Spirit of 1776 on June 28, 2008 at 5:11 PM

It’s true.

knob on June 28, 2008 at 5:12 PM

So what is new here? He is sticking to secure the borders, which is coupled with new IDs and employer enforcement. Those are items he has conceded as valid points from the L&O side. With that he is sticking with his arguments of allowing illegals to stay here provided they pass background checks and pay fines. This is the exact same position he has had all through the primaries. I don’t agree with all of it but I admire the man for being willing to face down the mob.

Now here comes that fence at Limerick’s head again.

Limerick on June 28, 2008 at 5:12 PM

He’s right.

I have no problem with what he said here.
And I have never understood how we’ve got people fighting for us in war zones that aren’t citizens ???

MCCAIN 08

They tried this shamnesty thing before, and WE defeated it. Why can’t we just keep doing that ?

bridgetown on June 28, 2008 at 5:13 PM

McCain is right on this. He needs to push hard though on security and assimilation. He needs to also focus more on the diversity of who comes here.

ninjapirate on June 28, 2008 at 5:14 PM

Juan “Z-Visa” McCain thinks Roger Mahony is doing God’s work…..geeeezzzz

Now that is scary. For you who don’t know, Cardinal Mahony played hide the pedophile priest for many years.

Blake on June 28, 2008 at 5:14 PM

I’m with McCain on this one. So be it. I’ve worked with all manner of Latin-Americans and I don’t know if they were legal or not, but they’re hard-working and they shouldn’t be treated like cattle or criminals. If the ones who snuck here and have been working ever since are criminals, then so are all of you who drink before you’re 21. Nobody’s perfect, and if we can make it so that the hard-working ones are contributing to our economy in a legal way, then all the better.
I believe any illegal who commits a crime should be deported. I know we need to close the borders. I don’t think illegals “do the jobs Americans won’t,” just look at Dirty Jobs. But I also agree that we need to treat this topic in a humane manner, and if that makes me sound like a bleeding-heart liberal, then so be it.

jimmy the notable on June 28, 2008 at 5:14 PM

I’ll be writing in Zombie Reagan.

doubleplusundead on June 28, 2008 at 5:17 PM

jimmy the notable on June 28, 2008 at 5:14 PM

You don’t sound like a bleeding heart lib.
You sound like what one would Think a conservative who is ‘christian’ would sound like.

McCain is a good man.

bridgetown on June 28, 2008 at 5:18 PM

Okay, two comments.

Me either. If you are willing to die for this country, go to the head of the line.

Spirit of 1776 on June 28, 2008 at 5:18 PM

jimmy the notable on June 28, 2008 at 5:14 PM

By the way, its such a dumb thing not to vote for him for. There are more important things in the world that McCain would be the best man for the job to handle. If you honestly believe there will be a POTUS who decides to deport 12 million people, then you are delusional.

jimmy the notable on June 28, 2008 at 5:18 PM

SO, I guess I’ll hold out until Obama promises me a new Car, House and healthy body, then I’ll vote for him and ‘HOPE’ he can deliver.

abinitioadinfinitum on June 28, 2008 at 5:20 PM

Spirit of 1776 on June 28, 2008 at 5:18 PM

Yeah, it’s odd. In my son’s outfit is a tank driver who used to drive T-72s around the stepps of Russia. He isn’t due to become a citizen until they all return next year. This is this fella’s second tour, for crying out loud. They should swear him in yesterday.

Limerick on June 28, 2008 at 5:20 PM

A vote for either McCain or Obama is a vote for artificially creating over 20M new voters over a period of a few short years which will forever change our nation – all without American citizen’s permission. Those votes will be beholden to La Raza, et al, and will force both parties to pander shamelessly – as we are seeing now – and to abandon multitudes of American citizens. Those new voters will be the determining block of votes in any nation election and many state elections (CA, IL, TX, FL, etc.). Those of us who disagree with providing citizenship to illegal aliens must take action regardless of which pandering simp is elected. Vote McCain for Irag/SCOTUS and take individual and group action to prevent amnesty.

DrDeano on June 28, 2008 at 5:21 PM

They contribute to our economy by driving down wages, paying little to no taxes. They costs my state over 14 billion dollars every year in education, housing, health care, and incarceration. I’ve lost count of the number of emergency rooms closed because they could not absorb the costs. Hospitals increase prices, insurance companies increase premiums, and it comes out of my pocket. Screw them. We choose who immigrates here, not them. And they get in line by returning to their own country.

Blake on June 28, 2008 at 5:21 PM

I thought the top priority of any leader of a nation was national defense.

Wethal

McCain and Obama are maing it a top priority . . . destroying it is their priority. America is suffering from suicidal ideation.

snaggletoothie on June 28, 2008 at 5:23 PM

Exactly why I won’t be voting next November and why I’m no longer a Republican.

Buzzy on June 28, 2008 at 5:24 PM

Like I said the other day, it’s always one step forward and one canceling-out-something-good step back with McCain … he just can’t help himself.

On the same front page of Hotair, there is a post from 11:00 AM where McCain talks tough on “border security first” … and here we have, just a few hours later, a post where McCain negates every good thing he could have gained from that.

He could run on a platform of border security first, and will discuss everything else later, after we’ve secured the border, but no, he has to keep throwing “comprehensive” immigration in our face, which heretofore has always meant mass amnesty with a questionable (read: non) commitment to border security.

I swear, McCain has a campaign death wish … he wants to lose. You just can’t reconcile these repeated f-ups on this issue with a desire to win, especially when you factor in that his opponent is occupying the same ground on the left while there a plenty of room to move right (where a majority of voters, not just Republicans are on the issue).

Sigh.

thirteen28 on June 28, 2008 at 5:25 PM

It shouldn’t take a genius to realize that McCain needs the Hispanic vote to defeat Che Nobama.

Anyone that expects McCain to pander to the right wing during the General Election does not understand strategy and they deserve to suffer under Obama if they choose not to vote.

Unfortunately, the rest of us will suffer too.

JayHaw Phrenzie on June 28, 2008 at 5:27 PM

Report: Obama McCain can “kiss my ass,” says Clinton innominatus

innominatus on June 28, 2008 at 5:27 PM

If McCain wants to advocate giving citizens, health insurance, and cheesecake for every criminal who limps across our border, I’m going to sulk for the next month and not say anything nice about McCain. Sadly, it’s the only retaliation possible. If Obama weren’t spectatucularly evil on this issue, I’d vote for Obama after McCain saying this now.

thuja on June 28, 2008 at 5:28 PM

“God’s children too”

Funny. I thought the typical McCain supporter was very concerned about the US becoming a theocracy.

Of course, everyone and his dog knows that McLiar is not remotely serious and merely means this as a shot at the religious right.

flenser on June 28, 2008 at 5:28 PM

Thanks, Einstein, but McCain does not need the Hispanic vote to defeat Obama. He needs the white vote.

flenser on June 28, 2008 at 5:30 PM

A$$hole. He doesn’t have to live in a community with illegal immigrants and their increased crime rates, DUIs and 23 people to a house.

God knows he would be unwilling to move the 4 miles from his place in North Phoenix to my neighborhood…

Even worse is the teens in my neighborhood can’t get jobs that illegals have taken so they run the streets and have a lower chance of becoming productive members of society.

Tim Burton on June 28, 2008 at 5:30 PM

Sigh.

thirteen28 on June 28, 2008 at 5:25 PM

Think he’s taking a dive? I’m not quite to where I’m buying that, but I could get to where I would.

doubleplusundead on June 28, 2008 at 5:30 PM

Just when you start to lean toward the guy he kicks you in the teeth.

multiuseless on June 28, 2008 at 5:30 PM

Main Entry: com·pre·hen·sive
Pronunciation: \-ˈhen(t)-siv\
Function: adjective
Date: 1614
1 : Amnesty
2 : Amnesty, used when you are trying to bullshit the public; as in Comprehensive immigration reform

Wade on June 28, 2008 at 5:30 PM

Come on! Did you really swallow Morrisseys spin?

flenser on June 28, 2008 at 5:30 PM

Not that I’m against immigration reform… its just that his methods in the past have been bad. We have no reason to suspect they’ve changed. At least he’s consistent.

AbaddonsReign on June 28, 2008 at 5:31 PM

flenser on June 28, 2008 at 5:30 PM

And flenser should be allowed to say this, without being called a witch or racist–whichever is the modern word.

thuja on June 28, 2008 at 5:33 PM

I’d hold my nose, but I’m still trying to pry his hands off of my sac.

elvis on June 28, 2008 at 5:33 PM

jimmy the notable on June 28, 2008 at 5:14 PM

You sound exactly like a bleeding heart liberal, one who’s making out like a bandit off illegal aliens.

flenser on June 28, 2008 at 5:33 PM

mccains loves illegals and liberals.

custer on June 28, 2008 at 5:34 PM

I’m gonna need a drink…

JetBoy on June 28, 2008 at 5:35 PM

Hey everybody,Akzed is quoting McCain.

“We need to sit down as Americans and recognize these are God’s children as well. And they need some protection under the law; they need some of our love and compassion.”

-John McCain

labrat on June 28, 2008 at 5:36 PM

Unfortunately, the rest of us will suffer too.

JayHaw Phrenzie on June 28, 2008 at 5:27 PM

Oh I understand strategy, and no, he doesn’t need to pander to the right, but he does needs to quit throwing rhetorical grenades at us. Obama’s political organization already dwarfs McCain’s. McCain’s fixation on fragging the right with glee every opportunity he can is only going to exacerbate the problem. McCain’s already horrendously short on volunteers and donors. It will only get worse if he keeps this crap up, and Obama’s going to overrun McCain with volunteers and slap ol’ Maverick around like a red-headed stepchild with that ginormous wallet.

doubleplusundead on June 28, 2008 at 5:39 PM

and if that makes me sound like a bleeding-heart liberal, then so be it.

jimmy the notable on June 28, 2008 at 5:14 PM

More than that is makes you sound like you are uninformed about the terrific strain monetarily and medically the illegal aliens (law breakers) put upon the country.

Wade on June 28, 2008 at 5:41 PM

JetBoy on June 28, 2008 at 5:35 PM

LoL, I think I’ll join you.

bridgetown on June 28, 2008 at 5:41 PM

I already hate every single minute of McCain. I hate watching as he tells tall tales and pathetic Republicans twist themselves into knots to try to believe him. I hate it when he is up front about his left wing views and Republicans try to rationalize voting for him anyway.

I recall a few years back, some people said Republicans supporting Bush had battered wife syndrome. This is well beyind that. Republicans supporting McCain are masochists. I wish they’d get their kicks by getting whipped by their local domintatrix.

flenser on June 28, 2008 at 5:41 PM

He’s better than Obama, He’s better than Obama, He’s better than Obama
He’s better than Obama, He’s better than Obama, He’s better than Obama
He’s better than Obama, He’s better than Obama, He’s better than Obama
He’s better than Obama, He’s better than Obama, He’s better than Obama
He’s better than Obama, He’s better than Obama, He’s better than Obama
He’s better than Obama, He’s better than Obama, He’s better than Obama
He’s better than Obama, He’s better than Obama, He’s better than Obama
He’s better than Obama, He’s better than Obama, He’s better than Obama

ctmom on June 28, 2008 at 5:43 PM

He’s better than Carter, at least.

omnipotent on June 28, 2008 at 5:48 PM

doubleplusundead on June 28, 2008 at 5:30 PM

It certainly makes one wonder when he seems to insist on negating every good thing he does in the campaign with something bad, and something that often needlessly antagonizes the conservative base. It’s one thing to move to the center for the general, but usually you do that after you’ve secured the base.

When you move to the center and then repeatedly antagonize the base you’ve never secured on a signature issue where they don’t trust you, you are not running a smart campaign, you’re running stupid, suicidally, or both.

I simply cannot fathom what he really thinks he’s going to gain with this, especially after the amnesty fights in 2006 and 2007 clearly demonstrated that a significant majority of the electorate is opposed to his position – not just on the right, but many in the center and some on the left as well.

thirteen28 on June 28, 2008 at 5:50 PM

OK…

If we don’t wall-up the border and start shipping ‘em out, we’ll lose the American Southwest to Aztlan!

McCain will make illegals immediate full citizens!

Baloney. Again, the most important point of all in this: Bashing McCain over immigration reform means absolutely jack squat right now. Get him in office first. Then go at him.

Unless you prefer Obama, that he’ll do more of what you want.

*sigh*

bridgetown on June 28, 2008 at 5:41 PM

Got my cheap red wine!

JetBoy on June 28, 2008 at 5:51 PM

He’s better than Carter, at least.

Funny, I was just thinking that this sounds like something that would come from Jimmah.

Is he running for President, or national priest? If Huckabee came out with this crap the squeals of outrage would be deafening.

flenser on June 28, 2008 at 5:51 PM

Despite Obama having more money, when they debate McCain will tear out Obama’s spleen first and show it to him. Then he’ll ad lib a sarcastic comment about socialized medicine.

elvis on June 28, 2008 at 5:52 PM

Come on! Did you really swallow Morrisseys spin?

flenser on June 28, 2008 at 5:30 PM

Not really – see my other posts in this thread.

Whenever McCain talks about securing the border first, I’ve come to expect him to screw things up by throwing “comprehensive” reform in our face shortly thereafter.

thirteen28 on June 28, 2008 at 5:52 PM

My Comprehensive immigration reform… Wait your turn; if you didn’t wait go back to the end of the line. If you are here, don’t expect to get a free ride, unless it on a plane back home, Prove you are legally allowed to work here, We really do have people who want to do your job but they cannot because people like you take up space that could go to legal immigrants.

Gwillie on June 28, 2008 at 5:53 PM

Were you dropped on your head as a child? We have been “going at him” for many years now. What makes you think that he will somehow start to care about this country once elected?

Of course, I’m pretty sure you don’t belive that he will, your remarks are aimed at conning people into voting for him.

Were you dropped on your head as a child?

flenser on June 28, 2008 at 5:55 PM

But Obama and poor people are God’s children too. How could he do that? Don’t you know how caring and compassionate he is?

flenser on June 28, 2008 at 5:57 PM

Doesn’t matter which one of these two wins – we’re all screwed. McCain’s just a bit better on nat’l security than Obama, but not much. I think it’s time to break out the pitchforks.

jdawg on June 28, 2008 at 5:58 PM

Jackie and Dunlap still have it right. F*ck it; McCain.

Obama is trying to break his own new world record for most amazing lie in a Presidential campaign. My money is on him to get the record this week.

Meanwhile, McCain surprises, somewhat, in pandering to a bunch of Mexicans in hopes of picking up 134 Mexican-with-voting-rights votes, while putting at even greater risk about 3,000,000 non-Mexican American votes. He’s not all that good at math, is he?

Jaibones on June 28, 2008 at 5:58 PM

“If we are going to solve the challenges we face, we can’t vacillate, we can’t shift depending on our politics.” ~ ~ Barack Obama

Vacillation is indignant today.

Entelechy on June 28, 2008 at 5:59 PM

This simply is not the hill to die on folks. We are not going to deport 12-20 Million People. Further antogonizing Hispanics is a recipe for Republican disaster for the next hundred years. His only chance to win in BECAUSE of Hispanics. We should effort to convince him and others that the Southern Border of the United States simply must be closed, that any Illegal or Legal Visa Holder who violates the law will be deported or jailed and any employer who hires an illegal will be jailed. We must increase the number of LEGAL visas available. These steps will solve the problem. Call me naive but I am one of these fools who believes that Hispanic Christian, Hardworking people are an asset to America. It beats the hell out of a bunch of Muslims streaming into your European country du jour.

AYNBLAND on June 28, 2008 at 5:59 PM

flenser-
You’re a man after my own heart!

elvis on June 28, 2008 at 5:59 PM

One thing about all this disturbs me: from the start, every time McCain came out with a position conservatives disagree with, the “pundits” — and commenters — have slammed him unmercifully. Limbaugh, Malkin and many others for whom I used to have some respect have acted as if he had rabies.

Maybe — just maybe — if at some point respectful disagreement had been registered, McCain might have been willing to rethink or at least compromise. But no; it’s been unrelenting MDS from the git-go.

Now it’s too late, and the number of “nose-holders,” writer-inners and people who think President Obama will “wake up the base” have virtually guaranteed that the next eight years will reduce this nation to a servile, penniless, third-world country.

Given the choice between dealing with illegal Mexicans and sucking up to terrorists, I’ll take the Mexicans.

MrScribbler on June 28, 2008 at 5:59 PM

Spirit of 1776 on June 28, 2008 at 5:18 PM

Limerick on June 28, 2008 at 5:20 PM

Becoming a Citizen in the U.S. Military

God Bless them!

Texas Gal on June 28, 2008 at 6:01 PM

at 1:50

“…based on the principal obviously that someone who has come here legally cannot be prioritized over someone who came here illegally.”

Freudian slip!

greggish on June 28, 2008 at 6:01 PM

flenser on June 28, 2008 at 5:55 PM

Derangement at it’s finest. With the addition of not addressing a single thing, and the obligatory insult.

Yep…that’s our flenser!

JetBoy on June 28, 2008 at 6:01 PM

You’re naive. They are an asset to a socialistic American dominated by the Democratic party.

We are not going to deport 12-20 Million People.

I agree with an earlier commenter who said that people who keep repeating this canard should be banned. It’s just a variant on “Bush lied!”

flenser on June 28, 2008 at 6:03 PM

Illegals are God’s children too. What kind of argument starts from that ridiculous premise?

Lehosh on June 28, 2008 at 5:05 PM

McCain’s stance on immigration, evidently.

labrat on June 28, 2008 at 6:03 PM

I am beginning to think Allahpundit is rooting for Obama. The truth is John McCain has made it plain that he supports securing borders first. The fact is the immigration system in this country needs some reform. But it does not matter what he says, the hardliners have made up their minds and there is no need to talk about it.

Terrye on June 28, 2008 at 6:04 PM

MrScribbler on June 28, 2008 at 5:59 PM

Seconded. I still want to know exactly when Rosarita’s immigration status became top priority over, well, everything else.

JetBoy on June 28, 2008 at 6:04 PM

amerpundit on June 28, 2008 at 5:07 PM

Does Juan Hernandez count?

catmman on June 28, 2008 at 6:06 PM

There must be a poll somewhere that would show McCain he absolutely cannot win with just the latino vote. He has to have his base and a very large percentage of independents to win. We are witnessing his own public suicide.

We beat the devil out of Clinton over having to explain to 8 yr. old kids what the term blow job meant and that his impeachment was due to his lies to authorities. How can we stand up morally and explain to that same kid that one kind of criminal is different than any other. That same kid would face jail for shoplifting but a person that has illegally breached the borders of a sovereign nation is to be given special considerations. It’s even worse when those with the authority to amnesty/pardon those same people are pandering for votes.

24K lady on June 28, 2008 at 6:06 PM

With the addition of not addressing a single thing,

If you had the reading comprehension of a five year old, you’d have noticed that I included “addressing a single thing” along with the insult.

How stoopid does a person have to be to imagine that if McCain is elected, we’ll suddenly, for the first time, get him to consider the best interests of the country?

BTW, did you ever figure out if you are for or against a border fence?

flenser on June 28, 2008 at 6:06 PM

Texas Gal…thanks!

I’ll ask my son what the story is on his status. Before they left last November we talked with him and the 09 date came up. Not sure why now that I’ve read your article, but I plan on finding out what the hold up is and putting in my two cents to anyone not pushing papers up the line.

Limerick on June 28, 2008 at 6:06 PM

Thanks Texasgal!

———–

So many are soooo hung up on immigration. As if it’s the only issue facing our nation. Tip-top priority. [...]

JetBoy on June 28, 2008 at 5:51 PM

Jetboy, you are off message! JM says it is top priority. No blog points for you!

Spirit of 1776 on June 28, 2008 at 6:07 PM

Okay…answer this for me…
Say the Govt did give amnesty to the millions that are here now illegally…
Doesn’t that mean that they would be on the tax rolls then?

Well…if so….I don’t see ANY politician EVER doing Anything short of doing all they can to get these people into the system.
So…even if Ol’ Fred Thompson were running, I still don’t think some of you would ever get your wish of deporting them all right now.

bridgetown on June 28, 2008 at 6:07 PM

I am beginning to think Allahpundit is rooting for Obama.

Terrye on June 28, 2008 at 6:04 PM

Whoa! You’ve been called out AP.

labrat on June 28, 2008 at 6:07 PM

We don’t need more “reform” on immigration — only enforcement of current regulations.

elvis on June 28, 2008 at 6:09 PM

Terrye on June 28, 2008 at 6:04 PM

Allah’s not a “rooter” for really any candidate. He’s been pretty fair. Although the “Fred!” days are etched in my memory for a while ;-)

And let the “hardliners” sulk and whine and yell “McShamnesty!” all they want. McCain didn’t win the primary with ‘em, and since they turned their backs on McCain over one issue (real conservative, guys) why should McCain go begging for them?

They’ll see what a great POTUS he is. And we’ll be able to say “We told you so”.

JetBoy on June 28, 2008 at 6:09 PM

Since some moron decided that his number one issue was granting America citizenship to thirty million Rosarita’s.

Can any of you “who cares about immigration” people explain why you are so indifferent? I know my side has made our case, but your side can never seem to make any arguments in your favor.

flenser on June 28, 2008 at 6:10 PM

He is no different in this regard as Bush. No since getting worked up over McCain’s stand the work has to be done in congress. Even if the dem’s expand their numbers pressure must and will be put on them to drop this idea. Just like last time, pressure, phone calls, emails and personal visits work with congress.

Engrpat on June 28, 2008 at 6:10 PM

Terrye

The fact is the immigration system in this country needs some reform.

It does need some reform. But McCain likes it just the way it is and wants to lock in what has happened over the last twenty years, and make sure it keeps happening in the future.

flenser on June 28, 2008 at 6:12 PM

ninjapirate on June 28, 2008 at 5:14 PM

Now, what you wrote didn’t make any damn sense.

He needs to “push” for assimilation, but “focus” on diversity at the same time?

catmman on June 28, 2008 at 6:12 PM

flenser on June 28, 2008 at 6:10 PM

their arguments consist of calling those who oppose them racists, bigots and I’m sure soon they’ll add homophobe and sexist, just to round it out!!

right4life on June 28, 2008 at 6:13 PM

Why would Congress listen to us, if we just elected the single biggest fan of illegals in America?

flenser on June 28, 2008 at 6:14 PM

flenser on June 28, 2008 at 6:10 PM

FALSE! Show me…anything from any time where John McCain has said he would grant American citizenship to every illegal here.

You really have no idea what McCain’s plan is.

JetBoy on June 28, 2008 at 6:15 PM

jimmy the notable on June 28, 2008 at 5:18 PM

So McCain calling for a “Manhattan Project” for energy independence is doable, in fact the right thing to do.

But calling for the same type of thing to get rid of illegal aliens is unworkable, in fact cruel?

catmman on June 28, 2008 at 6:15 PM

jimmy the notable on June 28, 2008 at 5:14 PM

Ahhh, moral relativism.

OK, your a bleeding heart liberal.

catmman on June 28, 2008 at 6:16 PM

Old version: “A liberal is a conservative who hasn’t been mugged yet”

Today’s version: “A McCain supporter is a Republican that hasn’t lived alongside illegals yet.”

innominatus on June 28, 2008 at 6:16 PM

You really have no idea what McCain’s plan is.

Were you dropped on your head as a child? I don’t believe that you are any sort of “Jet Boy”. It takes a certain minimum degree of intelligence to become a jet pilot.

MccCain has spent the lest several years telling us wehat his plan is. Where you passed out on the couch when the McCain-Kennedy bill came along?

Next you’ll be telling me “we have no idea where he stands on global warming, or windfall taxes, or free speech, or anany other topic”.

flenser on June 28, 2008 at 6:19 PM