St. Petersburg Times sort of verifies Obama’s birth certificate

posted at 7:05 pm on June 27, 2008 by Allahpundit

“Sort of” because without the original they can’t verify the embossed seal on the back, but everything else checks out. I’m happy to believe them just because I think this is a weak line of attack and am anxious to get it off the table, the various e-mails we’ve gotten about it over the past week or two notwithstanding.

The Hawaii Department of Health receives about a dozen e-mail inquiries a day about Obama’s birth certificate, spokesman Okubo said.

“I guess the big issue that’s being raised is the lack of an embossed seal and a signature,” Okubo said, pointing out that in Hawaii, both those things are on the back of the document. “Because they scanned the front … you wouldn’t see those things.”

Okubo says she got a copy of her own birth certificate last year and it is identical to the Obama one we received.

And about the copy we e-mailed her for verification? “When we looked at that image you guys sent us, our registrar, he thought he could see pieces of the embossed image through it.”…

And there’s the rub. It is possible that Obama conspired his way to the precipice of the world’s biggest job, involving a vast network of people and government agencies over decades of lies. Anything’s possible.

But step back and look at the overwhelming evidence to the contrary and your sense of what’s reasonable has to take over.

One of their newsroom colleagues also has a Hawaii birth certificate and that’s identical too. The irony of this argument is that even if it did prove fruitful and Obama was revealed to have been born in another country, all it would do is provoke a debate on whether the Constitution should be amended to allow naturalized citizens to run for president. I remember reading a law review survey a few years ago in which various scholars identified the natural-born citizen requirement as the very worst operative clause in the Constitution as it currently stands. To justify retaining it, the GOP would have to argue that there’s some salient distinction between people who were born here versus people who have been citizens for decades. If you can come up with one, more power to you; I can’t. As it is, I tend to think of this the way Newt thinks of the “inexperience” argument — a sure loser, and a waste of resources in how it distracts from Obama’s true weak point, his strident liberalism. It’s like Grover Norquist’s “Kerry with a tan” remark: Even if you think there’s nothing wrong with it, all it ends up doing is sidetracking you from more persuasive arguments. So let’s move on.

Comments

totally right. his voting record is more liberal than kucinich. its the most liberal in congress, if memory serves. the point needs to be pounded home. the electorate is consistently center/right. not far left

lorien1973 on June 27, 2008 at 7:08 PM

The founders believed and wrote into the Constitution the requirement those running for the office of the Presidency be natural born citizens because of the chance on born elsewhere might have loyalties to their native country. You might want to look into what it would take to change that. I think it would take a Constitutional Convention which would be extremely dangerous, considering the number of Marxist liberals in this land.

Zelsdorf Ragshaft on June 27, 2008 at 7:08 PM

Crikey, it’s like our own side’s version of Troofers. Isn’t there enough reason not to vote for this guy?

Purple Fury on June 27, 2008 at 7:11 PM

Well, it would do more than that. It would make Obama ineligible to run for President this year.

flenser on June 27, 2008 at 7:13 PM

Maybe I am unclear on what Grover means, but isn’t comparing Obama to Kerry, a pretty liberal fellow, kind of the tact you want employed?

VolMagic on June 27, 2008 at 7:17 PM

I don’t care about the birth certificate in the least except for what this situation says, yet again, about Obama’s default tendency to be unforthcoming.

If he had just produced the damned birth certificate – the original – back when somebody first asked him about it, he wouldn’t still be dealing with it today. He and his wife both act like they’re hiding something all the time! That’s probably why people keep thinking he’s, y’know, hiding something.

aero on June 27, 2008 at 7:20 PM

all it ends up doing is sidetracking you from more persuasive arguments.

Yea AP the Constitutional provisions are so history.
Get a clue feces head.

mred on June 27, 2008 at 7:27 PM

I requested a copy of my Minnesota birth certificate recently, and got something very similar in content and style to the Obama document. It’s just an abbreviated version. If you’re just using it to show to an employer, to prove citizenship for example, he doesn’t need to see the original signed by a doctor, that shows for example if your parents were married or not. None of his business. That’s why the common practice now is to use that abbreviated version.

RBMN on June 27, 2008 at 7:28 PM

And that certificate was not an original as you can see by the date stamp and the code at the bottom left.

The fake birth certificate has all the right words, in the right places, but the words were all added to a blank sheet of paper.

Looks like the Hawaii Department of Health does not believe a certificate could be done electronically to where everything is automatic and it just prints over a blank form, then they mail it the next day, seems to not work that way.

WoosterOh on June 27, 2008 at 7:36 PM

This O! should produce simple documentation unless he is an illegal alien in which case McCain’s ok with that.

mred on June 27, 2008 at 7:36 PM

So you’re arguing the USC can be changed and be applied after the time it should have been applied in the first place? If Obama wasn’t eligible, he shouldn’t have been on the ballot in the first place.

How can simply following a two-centuries-old rule known by every kid who made a B in civics be a loser for the Republican Party?

So much for our grundnorm.

Beagle on June 27, 2008 at 7:42 PM

The problem of dual loyalties is very real. Wishing it away or pretending it doesn’t exist does not matter.

With Obama, even his father’s nationality is important, because Obama seems to be choosing sides in the struggle for power in Kenya, and with the Islamist side. Kenya is key to east Africa. East Africa is key in the war.

indythinker on June 27, 2008 at 7:45 PM

BTW, I want an official statement from the Obama campaign that says “Yes, that particular image file that people have seen on the Internet, that’s a true and legit copy of Obama’s birth certificate.” So far, nothing like that. Thus, the St. Petersberg Times story proves nothing.

indythinker on June 27, 2008 at 7:46 PM

most democrats are born in this country. I doubt they are loyal to the country.

lorien1973 on June 27, 2008 at 7:47 PM

St. Petersburg Times

Saw this and thought “how appropriate.” Then I realized it was the St. Petersburg that’s located in Florida.

baldilocks on June 27, 2008 at 8:08 PM

I don’t care if Barack was born of a commie dad in a foreign country. That his commie mom was born here and an American citizen is good enough for me. Of course if he was born in a foreign country, then it’s just another big fat lie but we already know he’s a big fat liar. Others aren’t quite there yet but a new fact like this might bring them home.

As for the “citizens for decades” qualification, yeah, they aren’t eligible unless one parent was American. That’s salient enough for me. I was one of those on the fence when Ahnuld was popular and his political philosophy was neither ripe nor elaborately publicized and the composition of his spine wasn’t known to be jello. But I give thanks to that rule now, considering that in 2012 Ahnuld will have been a citizen for 3 decades.

Dusty on June 27, 2008 at 8:18 PM

St. Petersburg Times sort of verifies Obama’s birth certificate

Why doesn’t someone ask Obama about the authenticity of the Birth Certificate posted at the fight the smears website..

Otherwise he can just throw it and the website under the bus, like he does everything else..

Chakra Hammer on June 27, 2008 at 8:19 PM

[indythinker on June 27, 2008 at 7:46 PM]

Just give us a real copy from Obama’s hand that all the reporters can take pictures of and post themselves. It’s that easy!

Dusty on June 27, 2008 at 8:20 PM

The St Pete Times is my local rag, and I cancelled it long ago since they use their left wing editorials as headlines. The subscriptions are plummeting and they keep believing its only because internet news is readily available. They refuse to believe people long for independant true reporting like the old days.

malkinmania on June 27, 2008 at 8:22 PM

1) If I’m not mistaken, B.O. has visited foreign countries.
2) He needs a passport to do this
3) I assume he has a U.S. passport. Anyone deny this?
4) To get a U.S. passport, you have to show either a notice of being a sworn-in citizen, or a valid, certified birth certificate. They are VERY specific on this. As anyone who has gone through the passport hassle can tell you they don’t allow any facimilis.
5) Since no one has any record that he ever took a citizenship test, one can only assume that someone, sometime examined his birth certificate or else he’d never have gotten a U.S. passport.

kurtzz3 on June 27, 2008 at 8:25 PM

My late father-in-law once posed the question of how Barry Goldwater could run for president. His contention was that when Goldwater was born, Arizona was a territory not a state, thereby making Goldwater a naturalized rather than a native-born citizen. This birth certificate is minor, just look at B. Hussein’s voting record and associations.

oldleprechaun on June 27, 2008 at 8:28 PM

Even if Obama turned out not to be a born U.S. citizen and had the presidency ‘taken away’ from him, the Dem congress would fight vigorously to overturn that rule by 2012.

Very much agreed. Also, every attack on Obama about this will get us three about McCain’s Panama Canal birth.

Grafted on June 27, 2008 at 8:31 PM

Janice Okuba did not examine the hard copy, she examined a JPEG image. Therefore, unless she is a Photoshop expert, she isn’t in a position to say whether that *image* is a forgery. All she can say is whether the layout looks correct. And clearly it does.

I know it sounds truther-ish. And there are many better arguments against Obama. But the Obama certificate just does not look like a scanned piece of paper, any way you slice it. It looks like it was created from scratch in a graphics program. The only way someone could really verify it is to see the hard copy.

Put it this way – do you think I could get on a plane if I showed someone a JPEG of my drivers’ license on my laptop?

Missy on June 27, 2008 at 8:32 PM

Also, if you look, the certificate I posted, the seal is o the backside, it is reversed. Why does it show through that copy, but not the Messiah’s?

We know the answer.

WoosterOh on June 27, 2008 at 8:41 PM

So let’s move on.

First, flenser is right – he could not run for president this year, as it takes a long time to amend the constitution.

Second, I’ll move on only if Karol, flenser, RushBaby, Kini, I, and others in the same boat can also run for president, or VP :)

Entelechy on June 27, 2008 at 8:42 PM

St. Petersburg Times sort of verifies Obama’s birth certificate

I’M SORT OF UNCONVINCED…
To put this issue to rest, Barack Hussein Obama should produce, and have a certified, unredacted copy of his birth certificate published on say…Hot-air!

byteshredder on June 27, 2008 at 8:43 PM

Passportgate needs to be resolved and opened to the public, ahead of Nov. 2008.

Entelechy on June 27, 2008 at 8:43 PM

I don’t believe the issue is where he was born. I don’t think that is what his team wanted to preempt or cover up in Passportgate. The certificate item is a distraction.

Entelechy on June 27, 2008 at 8:46 PM

1) If I’m not mistaken, B.O. has visited foreign countries.
2) He needs a passport to do this
3) I assume he has a U.S. passport. Anyone deny this?

kurtzz3 on June 27, 2008 at 8:25 PM

What could be be hiding?

Was his Name at Birth NOT Obama?

Were his parents NOT married?

Hmmm..

Chakra Hammer on June 27, 2008 at 8:50 PM

Maybe he was Born Barry Dunham..

Chakra Hammer on June 27, 2008 at 8:51 PM

Anyone want to photoshop the copy of Obama’s birth certificate that “proves” his real name is Barry Milhouse Ocarter and was born in 2012 on Mars?

ynot4tony2 on June 27, 2008 at 8:57 PM

No person except a natural born citizen, or a citizen of the United States, at the time of the adoption of this Constitution, shall be eligible to the office of President

I have always considered this the Alexander Hamilton clause. Note that a naturalized citizen at the time the Constitution was adopted could still be President. That was drafted that way so that Hamilton (born in the West Indies) could still become President. Burr took care of that though.

tommylotto on June 27, 2008 at 9:03 PM

Entelechy on June 27, 2008 at 8:42 PM

I wouldn’t run; I couldn’t possibly be a Uniter.

Funny thing, though. I actually DO have my original geburtsurkunde. There’s no embossing on it, but there is a unique sticker and a couple of stamps on it. It shows the day I was born, but it was not issued the day I was born. It was issued when I was adopted.

RushBaby on June 27, 2008 at 9:30 PM

I don’t know. What’s the distinction between a 34-year old and a 35-year old? People can certainly understand the natural-born requirement more easily than any of the arbitrary age requirements, though we all understand them, too. It’s a matter of reasonable and well-defined boundaries.

progressoverpeace on June 27, 2008 at 9:43 PM

So let’s move on.

Right. Sure. Let’s take his word for it. He’s got a trustworthy face. And anyway the Europeans seem to really like him.

Stephen M on June 27, 2008 at 9:46 PM

This topic does nothing to expose what a threat Obama is to individual freedom and the economy.
After a while, only O-groupies who want a scrap book will care.
Definitely, let’s move on.

Right_of_Attila on June 27, 2008 at 9:47 PM

Republican Truthers

The Race Card on June 27, 2008 at 10:09 PM

Maybe he was Born Barry Dunham.

Chakra Hammer on June 27, 2008 at 8:51 PM

If there is an issue, that’s probably it.

baldilocks on June 27, 2008 at 10:16 PM

Republican Truthers

The Race Card on June 27, 2008 at 10:09 PM

Yeah, you’re right.

baldilocks on June 27, 2008 at 10:18 PM

His strident liberalism … now that’s a winner!!

Donald Douglas on June 27, 2008 at 10:19 PM

What’s BarryO’s stance on Hawaii’s secessionists? Didn’t we fight an entire war over that one?

And where in Hell is Michelle Obama?

SouthernGent on June 27, 2008 at 11:22 PM

It’s like Grover Norquist’s “Kerry with a tan” remark:

Was he quoting me?

Connie on June 27, 2008 at 11:29 PM

How come something is blacked out? The certificate or serial number? I can see blanking out the SSN, but it wouldn’t be that. What am I missing?

MB4 on June 27, 2008 at 11:30 PM

And where in Hell is Michelle Obama?

SouthernGent on June 27, 2008 at 11:22 PM

Word has it that she is away with Hillary somewhere and Hillary is teaching her advanced broom flying. Just a rumor though.

MB4 on June 27, 2008 at 11:32 PM

Entelechy on June 27, 2008 at 8:42 PM

It’s a great country, where anybody can grow up to be president …… except Karol, flenser, RushBaby, Kini, Entelechy [updated] and me.
- Barry Goldwater

MB4 on June 27, 2008 at 11:38 PM

- Barry Goldwater

MB4 on June 27, 2008 at 11:38 PM

and me too.

HawaiiLwyr on June 27, 2008 at 11:44 PM

Obama’s birth certificate is a FAKE. Period.

It’s very simple. The embossed seal is missing.

Embossing is where you place paper in between a device and it applies a 3D like crimp in the paper. The seal MUST appear on both sides of the paper.

This hack newspaper is a fraud. They did not produce a pic of their alleged identical BC.

The giveaway for any article pretending to be objective is if they have these known evasive phrases.

He took the oath of office on a Koran. (Ellison of course) He refuses to say the pledge of allegiance. (it was his hand to heart during Anthem)

faraway on June 28, 2008 at 12:06 AM

“Note that a naturalized citizen at the time the Constitution was adopted could still be President. That was drafted that way so that Hamilton (born in the West Indies) could still become President”

I thought it was because everyone–whether born in the West Indies or in the British Colony of Virginia–everyone 14 yrs. old or older (let alone the required 35 yrs) was not born as a U.S. citizen.

G. Charles on June 28, 2008 at 12:23 AM

AP, you are disgusting. Take down your “legit” comment.

It’s one thing to say this is legit or not. It’s quite another to say it’s not worth the effort.

faraway on June 28, 2008 at 12:25 AM

kurtzz3 on June 27, 2008 at 8:25 PM

You are assuming his passport is from the USA. I haven’t seen it – has anybody? Sounds like it’s FOIA time. We need to see those visa stamp logs.

“Paging Condi – please pick up any white courtesy phone.”

And it isn’t about where he was born – it’s about where his brain considers home.

platypus on June 28, 2008 at 1:31 AM

Oh, golly gee, we look so silly if we expect a candidate for the POTUS to produce a valid birth certificate.Oh, that’s just so, ‘truther.’

BS. No human being does something without a reason. There is a REASON that Obama has not provided his original, certified birth document.

But that doesn’t matter, we should all just shut up, because we don’t want to, ‘reduce ourselves to their level.’ Right?

JannyMae on June 28, 2008 at 2:29 AM

kurtzz3 on June 27, 2008 at 8:25 PM

Perhaps. But perhaps what is on it has nothing to do with WHERE he was born???

JannyMae on June 28, 2008 at 2:30 AM

““Because they scanned the front … you wouldn’t see those things.”

Sorry, but this is total bull. Embossing works by deforming the paper itself. Even the lightest impression would distort the pattern on both sides and a scan at 300 ppi (per the Kos version) often picks up more than you ordinarily see with the naked eye, not less.

JM Hanes on June 28, 2008 at 4:23 AM

As for the politics of the thing, given Obama’s penchant for eliminating opponents by conjuring up technical infractions, he’s in no position to complain that the technicalities at issue here are distractions.

JM Hanes on June 28, 2008 at 4:29 AM

JannyMae on June 28, 2008 at 2:29 AM

Silence is deadly. Never give up one’s right to verbal redress. You are doing yeoman’s work here. You are uniquely wise in all matters related to birth certificates. Thank you for being you.

I think you are a brave person for standing up for your fellow Truthers on the right. Please post your photo so I can recognize you when you’re taking my order.

The Race Card on June 28, 2008 at 5:14 AM

At least if we lose we will have someone to pin it on other than McCain and his crack staff.

The Race Card on June 28, 2008 at 5:18 AM

Obama paves the way for Schwarzenegger. /s

It’s all about split allegiances. If someone were president who was born in Iceland . . however could we go to war with them. But seriously.

As for Bambi being born outside the U.S., he doesn’t need to be to hate America.

- The Cat

MirCat on June 28, 2008 at 6:16 AM

JannyMae on June 28, 2008 at 2:29 AM

The Race Card on June 28, 2008 at 5:14 AM

You go JannyMae. I’m with you. The logic here that the Constitution is outdated on this issue may indeed be true. If so, amend it. That takes time, and if/when it happens, naturalized citizens with whatever other requirements they may throw in, can run for President. Until then, no way.

Who the hell knows where he was born, or what his birth certificate says. Try offering up a version like Obama is doing the next time you’re asked to produce one. Better yet, tell them the requirement just doesn’t make sense anymore, and you see no reason why you can’t just email them something. Or you could try calling the official asking for it a Truther–see how far you get.

Produce your goddamn birth certificate Obama, or piss off you arrogant prick. The law doesn’t apply any less to you– in fact, politicians are held to a higher standard than the rest.

JiangxiDad on June 28, 2008 at 7:03 AM

All this could be put to rest by Sen. Obama, but for some reason he has chosen not to do that. Why?

JeffinSac on June 28, 2008 at 7:26 AM

Amen, if it weren’t for fatigue and anger over eight years of Bush, this should be an easy election for most people: a far leftist from a lunatic anti-American milieu versus a conservative who has sometimes dared to break the mold and be moderate. Let’s keep this election on ideas and not “distractions”.

thuja on June 28, 2008 at 7:31 AM

Think about this more, why is the media even having to do the check. Didn’t someone in the government verify this yet? If not then why not, because it is the only verification the government must do for a candidate running for President.

JeffinSac on June 28, 2008 at 7:34 AM

“ANY ALTERATIONS INVALIDATE THIS CERTIFICATE”
The certificate number is marked out.
BHO does not provide the public with a valid birth certificate to prove his legitimacy. The only “conspiracy” would be Obama’s. When documentation is required for proof, why should the public take anyone’s “word” for the truth, particularly take the word of the ever malleable Barack Hussein Obama? Words mean nothing to a Marxist other than what can be had for using the words. There is no logical reason to let this matter go; BHO must provide a valid birth certificate to the public to prove his candidacy is legitimate. With such a simple matter, for Obama to refute a requirement and prove such intense disdain for America and her citizens, that alone is reason to shun him.

maverick muse on June 28, 2008 at 8:16 AM

Didn’t someone in the government verify this yet?

Get real. As a rule, when have government employees earned the definition of responsible trust? Even four of the Supreme Court Justices unscrupulously submit altered information in order to get the decision that they want.

maverick muse on June 28, 2008 at 8:20 AM

JiangxiDad on June 28, 2008 at 7:03 AM

Politicians ARE held to a higher standard as their private lives are open to public scrutiny as pertains to their office. But THIS business of proving a POTUS candidate’s birth status is absolute law, not just for the consumption of media’s inquisitive or enquiring minds who may be swayed in a vote.

maverick muse on June 28, 2008 at 8:30 AM

There have been six times in my life that a valid (certified) birth certificate was necessary.

1) When I entered the public school system
2) When I applied for my first driver’s license
3) When I applied for a passport
4) When I applied to vote
5) When I applied for a marriage license.
6) When I applied for Social Security Benefits (which also required marriage and divorce papers in order to receive benefits from my ex husband’s SS that I was entitled to)

Other than #3 & #6, the laws of the State of Florida required it. Some of these requirements have been abrogated by the State.

My point being. If I’ve had to produce a birth certificate with embossed seal 6 times for mile stone events in my life, I would think that BHO could produce his if there was ever any question about his birth or eligibility to run for the President of the United States of America!

swampy on June 28, 2008 at 11:24 AM

I’ve had this argument with my Con Law Prof in law school. I was born of US parents (both US citizens and residences of Louisiana … father in the US Army)abroad (Germany). Dean Hurt tried to tell me I had dual citizenship. Negative, but I do have a US State Dept birth certificate (which my mother has said to guard with your life as it is very difficult to replace). Now Hurt used the then Dean’s daugher as an example, but her mother was a national from another country. I do have a German birth certificate, but not citizenship.

How serious is this? Well, I went to the Social Security Office in Alexandria, LA to get a replacement SS Card. Well, I did have a DD 214 (just got back from Desert
Storm) and a cocky attitude about being a Veteran of a Foreign War, but not my Birth Certificate. The lady at the office could tell me I was born abroad but could not give me a replacement card because I did not have my birth cert. As a side note, they were practically giving checks away to kids who had never worked, but for me, A VETERAN, they gave nothing but grief. This was in 1991.

Claimsratt on June 28, 2008 at 12:20 PM

Now, 2008, 17 more years of military service and Veteran status from another war (OIF 2004 – 2005), and a Citizenship for almost 43 years, I CANNOT run for President. It really chaps me that someone can swim the Rio Grande, poop a kid, and that kid can run for Pres, while myself, veteran, taxpayer, father … cannot. And with all that said, I do not support an amendment to the Constitution to make it so. You see the drafters of the US Constitution fears a foreign power sending one of its agents becoming Pres. I don’t think they considered our own citizens selling out the country to a foreign power.

Claimsratt on June 28, 2008 at 12:20 PM

BTW, I never saw one of those “free” checks.

Claimsratt on June 28, 2008 at 12:21 PM

and me too.

HawaiiLwyr on June 27, 2008 at 11:44 PM

And Mrs. Limerick :)

Perhaps. But perhaps what is on it has nothing to do with WHERE he was born???

JannyMae on June 28, 2008 at 2:30 AM

And what Passportgate contains. It might be a combination of the birth certificate information and the information on his passport. Media wake up and be diligent. Some are working it but some are dumb and/or playing possum.

Remember these words – you too The Race Card and baldilocks. Also, I’m not a truther.

Entelechy on June 28, 2008 at 1:55 PM

Entelechy on June 28, 2008 at 1:55 PM

You are a truth teller, not a truther. Doesn’t mean you’re always right.

The Race Card on June 28, 2008 at 9:20 PM

Dear TRC, to be sure, I never claimed to be “always right”.

Entelechy on June 29, 2008 at 2:22 AM

most democrats are born in this country. I doubt they are loyal to the country.

lorien1973 on June 27, 2008 at 7:47 PM

How true. Sad, but true. I wonder what JFK or HST would say to the current crop of dhimmys. I doubt they would recognize the Democratic party of today.

Mooseman on June 29, 2008 at 10:15 AM