Obama still doesn’t get YouTube, does he?

posted at 12:20 pm on June 27, 2008 by Ed Morrissey

In days gone by, politicians could issue mutually-contradictory messages with near impunity as the mainstream media rarely would double-check the historical record.  Now, with video on line and millions of fact-checkers scrutinizing every statement, any obviously false statement will get exposed in short order.  Yesterday’s assertion by Barack Obama that he never said the DC gun ban overturned by the Supreme Court was constitutional or that he supported it became the latest in his flip-flops to be exposed by a simple review of the videotape record:

Obama is right to the extent that his statement didn’t come in November 2007 but more recently in February 2008, as he tried to sweep the primaries by running to Hillary Clinton’s left. He nods when asked about the constitutionality of the DC gun ban, and expresses his support for it by saying “Right” when the interviewer asks about it. Obama then goes into an extended explanation of how he sees the DC ban as part of a Constitutional effort at gun control.

Now the Constitutional law scholar wants us to believe that he always thought the DC ban was unconstitutional, and that his earlier comments were “inartful”. This video shows very clearly that the only artifice involved is in his new position. Obama has done a complete 180 on gun bans, attempting to paint himself as a moderate when the paltry record of Obama’s political stands shows just the opposite.

Comments

Will NEVER Can’t keep His the story straight

Fixed :)

upinak on June 27, 2008 at 12:24 PM

Busted

JeffreyLloyd on June 27, 2008 at 12:24 PM

His catchphrase, vero possomus, should be vero weathervanus.

faraway on June 27, 2008 at 12:28 PM

To steal a phrase, he’s spinning faster than an Iranian centrifuge.

faraway on June 27, 2008 at 12:29 PM

I’m gonna rant, Ed.

Why the hell doesn’t McCain have a bank of Morrissey’s working for him? Why the hell doesn’t the RNC?

Obama is getting gobsmacked by the blogisphere, and that is great, but the MSM turns a blind eye unless these punches are coming from the candidate or his party. Don’t get me wrong, I appreciate the 21st Century pampleteers, but wonder when the hell the good-ol-boys will wise up and put some brains behind the staff-room door.

Limerick on June 27, 2008 at 12:31 PM

As Jim Geraghty said earlier this week, “All Obama statements come with an expiration date. It’s just a matter of when.”

Exurban Jon on June 27, 2008 at 12:32 PM

Not sure I see the problem here. Isn’t his theme “Change”?

misterpeasea on June 27, 2008 at 12:33 PM

Messiah can do no wrong, people.

We just don’t get the true meaning of his message.

Sir Napsalot on June 27, 2008 at 12:33 PM

That is not the 2nd Amendment position I knew for many years.

Stephen Macklin on June 27, 2008 at 12:35 PM

What BHO says does not matter. Lemmings will follow him to their demise.

On-my-soap-box on June 27, 2008 at 12:35 PM

To paraphrase Gertrude Stein, “There’s no man there.”

Akzed on June 27, 2008 at 12:38 PM

Just wondering when someone is going to compile an audio or video collection of Obama’s best flip-flops…

Maybe that’s considered a constant work in progress, on going until he ends his political career?

ynot4tony2 on June 27, 2008 at 12:38 PM

If I had been his student in a constitutional law class, I would now be demanding a refund from the university. What a fraud!

txsurveyor on June 27, 2008 at 12:40 PM

if you look very closely in the first video, you will see smoke from osama’s pants being on fire. wow. liar, liar, pants on fire

custer on June 27, 2008 at 12:40 PM

Limerick on June 27, 2008 at 12:31 PM

Pure poetry. It’s true. 21st century pamphleteers. How apt.
Did you mean put some brains, or brawn, behind the door?

JiangxiDad on June 27, 2008 at 12:40 PM

Reporter: “Didn’t you say you are in favor of gun control?”

Obama: “No, you misunderstood, I said I was in favor of gub control.”

fogw on June 27, 2008 at 12:41 PM

But Obama said “that is not what I said in November”, the clip was from Feb. That would be his out (as weak as it is).
Notice the middle-east espression of a “camels nose under the tent”, now most of us use expressions we grow up with. When under pressure, he reverts back to his upbringing?
Not a big deal, just an observation. Bet you won’t hear that again.

right2bright on June 27, 2008 at 12:41 PM

Maybe Obama will figure out YouTube when the operators start serving arugula.

MarkTheGreat on June 27, 2008 at 12:42 PM

He doesn’t have to do a damned thing. His media lackey sycophants will cover it all up for him. This is just a ‘right-wing extremist smear.’

Have y’all not been paying attention?

TABoLK on June 27, 2008 at 12:43 PM

I use the phrase “camels nose under the tent”, I’ve never been within 1000 miles of the middle east.

MarkTheGreat on June 27, 2008 at 12:43 PM

So,De javu all over again,Bill Clinton!

Behold,as in Paul Shanklin’s ditty,The Lying King!

This is the same template Slick Willy used!

And,it workin real nice for Barack!

Lefty MSM can’t get enough,looks like their
pineing for those Clinton (is is) lying days!

Somebody needs to sound the Lying Alarm,again!

canopfor on June 27, 2008 at 12:45 PM

So is Obama going to use his convoluted rhetoric to dazzle difficult foreign leaders? Listening to him makes my head spin, it makes me dizzy. Who does he think he’s fooling? Can you say circumlocutionosity? Can you say talking while saying nothing? Can you say word salad?

Paul-Cincy on June 27, 2008 at 12:47 PM

” Not sure I see the problem here. Isn’t his theme “Change”?

misterpeasea on June 27, 2008 at 12:33 PM ”

Exactly right – to be precise, however, his true theme is:

When I CHANGE my position – let’s HOPE nobody notices.

jrlingreenbay on June 27, 2008 at 12:48 PM

newsflash…Politicians lie to get elected.

bridgetown on June 27, 2008 at 12:50 PM

Flip, flip, flip. Flippity-flip-flip flip. Flip.

Flop. I have always said “flop.”

NeighborhoodCatLady on June 27, 2008 at 12:50 PM

I assume that this is because Obama is not used to there being any kind of record for people to look back on to compare his positions. Can’t shred YouTube.

aero on June 27, 2008 at 12:51 PM

txsurveyor on June 27, 2008 at 12:40 PM

That’s the beautiful thing about constitutional law classes. There is no right answer. Heck, the final answer is irrelevant.

It’s almost entirely navel-gazing. Trying to come up with a pet theory that is different from the theories of the other constitutional law professors, that can explain the inexplicable. Not predicting; there is no predicting.

The more incoherent ad-hoc the theory, the better chance it has of explaining.

misterpeasea on June 27, 2008 at 12:51 PM

Uhhhhhh…this is uhhhhhhhhhh…not the Barak UhBama that I knew. Pretty soon he will have to throw himself under the bus. This man must not be allowed to be president.

Lunkinator on June 27, 2008 at 12:51 PM

Your tabula rasa days are over, Obama.

aero on June 27, 2008 at 12:53 PM

We just don’t get the true meaning of his message.

Sir Napsalot on June 27, 2008 at 12:33 PM

Well, it would help if he would stay ‘on-message’ for longer than, say, one bus-ride, you know? Maybe that’s his fiendishly clever plan…

Obama: “No, you misunderstood, I said I was in favor of gub control.”

fogw on June 27, 2008 at 12:41 PM

“Attica, Attica, Attica, Attica!”

dmh0667 on June 27, 2008 at 12:57 PM

Okay,heres the thing,when Bill was having to jungle
mona,I mean Monica,and every other problem,MSM came
up with a brilliant out for Bill,it was called,

Compartmentalization,the ability to take each problem
and store it in compartments of the brain,a storage
process I guess,so Bill could be an affective president!

So,my guess,since the blue-print is out there,that’ll be
the rational of some idiot,opps,I mean Liberal operative
to use and explain it all a way for Obama!

You see,Obama has lost the keys to each compartment,there-
fore it would be impossible for Obama to know that Obama was
flip/flopping,or lying on!

Its an idea,but remember your dealing with Libs!

canopfor on June 27, 2008 at 12:58 PM

As a lawyer, he knows the arguments of both sides of major issues… he can turn one or the other on as needed, and say it like he means it.

He can be everything to everybody and still say it in a way that can leave him an out… that is why he voted present so many times in Illinois… to keep from being pinned down.

So Obama continues his ways and effectively just voted “present” on gun control, FISA, campaign financing, Iraq (coming soon), Iran, and Jerusalem.

He will say and do anything, and defend any position as long as it gets him the White House… all the while making it sound like he really believes it…

Still-A-Neocon

stillaneocon on June 27, 2008 at 12:58 PM

And then Obama adds “And did I mention I’m black?” while reaching with his left hand he pulls out an unregistered handgun and places it to his head. The crowd gasps and a woman cries out “Won’t anyone help that poor man?”. (kudos to “Blazing Saddles” (1974) and Richard Pryor).

Paul-Cincy on June 27, 2008 at 12:59 PM

What I said was that I am opposed to gub control in Eurasia. I have always been opposed to gub control in Eurasia. I have always been in favor of gun control in Eastasia. And I have never contradicted myself. Humility is my strongest suit.

connertown on June 27, 2008 at 1:00 PM

Obama’a inner fish seems to be coming out with all these flip-flops.

Maxx on June 27, 2008 at 1:00 PM

Obama sounds more like he works at the psychic hotline. Say whatever I want to hear.

faraway on June 27, 2008 at 1:02 PM

Hey the first reporter is racist for daring to ask him a question. BO is a god, and Gods can say whatever they want

BroncosRock on June 27, 2008 at 1:03 PM

Pay no attention to the man behind the curtain telling BO what to say on any given day. It is his fault the message keeps changing – certainly not Saint Baracks.

HawaiiLwyr on June 27, 2008 at 1:04 PM

That’s not the BO I know.

VikingGoneWild on June 27, 2008 at 1:06 PM

Amber alert:

Obama is missing.

All we found was a talking pull string toy with big ears.

faraway on June 27, 2008 at 1:06 PM

canopfor on June 27, 2008 at 12:45 PM

So,De javu all over again,Bill Clinton!

Don’t be smearing Bill Clinton now. Next to Obama, Clinton sounds like Winston Churchill. Clinton:

“we shall fight on the beaches,
we shall fight on the landing grounds,
we shall fight in the fields and in the streets,
we shall fight in the hills …

(Depending on what the meaning of the word “fight”, is)”

Paul-Cincy on June 27, 2008 at 1:12 PM

“His catchphrase, vero possomus, should be vero weathervanus.” – faraway on June 27, 2008 at 12:28 PM

There. That’s more like it.

Lockstein13 on June 27, 2008 at 1:12 PM

All we found was a talking pull string toy with big ears.

faraway on June 27, 2008 at 1:06 PM

More like a marionette. Someone is pulling those (purse) strings

Brat on June 27, 2008 at 1:12 PM

Don’t be smearing….
Paul-Cincy on June 27,2008 at 1:12PM.

Paul-Cincy:Next thing your going to tell me,
Obama will endorse the cigar!haha :)

canopfor on June 27, 2008 at 1:16 PM

I don’t know. It sounded to me like he was fairly consistent outside of what his aide may have said.

He is both for and against gun ownership. Simple as that, and said so in both segments.

He supports taking illegal guns off the street.

Wonderful.

I thought DC had one of the strictest gun laws anywhere. That’s sure helped a lot, hasn’t it?

drjohn on June 27, 2008 at 1:19 PM

I’m old enough to remember the 1972 election. Richard Nixon ran a devastating ad showing a photo of McGovern twisting back and forth while reciting all of his flip-flops. Very simple and cheap, but extremely effective. It was at that time one of the most effective attack ads ever run. With the YouTube videos available now, such an ad would be easy to make and just as effective. I’m sure the RNC with its $200 million war chest will be doing this later in the year. I suppose you could argue for doing it now and in saturation, in order to define Obama as a flip-flopper.

rockmom on June 27, 2008 at 1:23 PM

people who say anything will do anything.

BO is dangerous.

is the political middle so dumb as to trust this guy?

jimmer on June 27, 2008 at 1:26 PM

He’ll get away with it. It’s going to take a “watch moment” a la George H.W. Bush to break Obama.

spmat on June 27, 2008 at 1:27 PM

Not only should we be thankful to the innertubes and the new media for allowing us to keep up with Mr. Change, be thankful we even know what the court did yesterday.
If the BSM had their way, Heller would have been reported as “Court upholds gun licensing”.

Now we can read the decision ourselves, minutes after it is issued. And we can go back and find Miller ’39, and see for ourselves that those people telling us that Miller settled the question and the 2nd only protects militias are lying crapweasels.

Rodent on June 27, 2008 at 1:32 PM

Taking a cue from NeighborhoodCatLady.

Reporter: “How do you answer charges that you are a flip-flopper?”

Obama: “I am not a Flip-Flopper. I have never flip-flopped my positions.”

Reporter: “But what about your changing stances on public funding and gun control, to name a couple.”

Obama: “Those are just false right-wing charges. I have never flipped-flopped.”

Reporter: “But first you were supportive of gun control, and now you say it is unconstitutional.”

Obama: “Not a flip-flop.”

Reporter: “How about the fact you were for public financing, and now you are not?”

Obama: “Also not a flip-flop. While my recent expanded positions may seem contradictory to previous statements to those who are looking for differences, at most they can be misunderstood as flips. Where are the flops? Only people looking to divide over manufactured wedge issues would call me a flip-flopper.”

Reporter: “But…..”

Obama: “And are you aware of the offensiveness of the term flip-flopper among the African American culture. At its roots are…..”

Reporter: “Um, we have run out of time.”

AverageJoe on June 27, 2008 at 1:33 PM

Oh Quick! Someone at the GOP grab this one up and start broadcasting it from now until election day! If there was ever a clear shining example of B.O. Double-Talk at it’s absolute zenith, this is it!

pilamaye on June 27, 2008 at 1:34 PM

The charade is that Obama is pretending to be a moderate when he’s actually a left-winger. That’s the source of his flip-flops. When you have to represent views you don’t really believe in, there will be inconsistencies.

On TV last night Rep. Robert Wexler (D-Fl) was asked (by Stephen Colbert LOL) whether Obama was a conservative or a liberal. Wexler said Obama transcends such labels. Come on. Look at Obama’s history. Community organizer in inner city Chicago South Side, rubbing elbows with lefties, 20 years in Rev. Wright’s church, very liberal voting records as state senator then US senator. And yet he’s going to govern as a moderate?

The last 50 years every president has governed either from the center or from the right of center, except Carter, who was a disaster, and LBJ, whose programs we’re trying to dismantle but we’re still suffering from. Anyway Obama has decided to run as a moderate, and it’s a total farce. There’s no way he can sustain it.

Paul-Cincy on June 27, 2008 at 1:40 PM

Ya know, the libs view on the war and drugs if applied to the war on guns actually works better. You’re never going to stop it, it’s just a waste of money, etc. But the other way around, ‘If you ban marijuana, then only potheads well have it,’ not so much.

- The Cat

MirCat on June 27, 2008 at 1:43 PM

He’s for taking illegal guns off the steet, and he is for laws passed by the community to make more guns illegal.

I think I get it.

pappy on June 27, 2008 at 1:47 PM

“I think we can move beyond some of the contra…”

Yes, Senator? Beyond the contradiction between your position in February and your position now?

In fact, he covers both sides of every issue so opaquely that it’s very difficult to know what the hell his position is in the first place. I am certain that he will claim with a clear conscience that his most recent pandering statement has no conflict with the first utterly meaningless statement. This despite the clear statement in support of D.C. banning handguns.

He is a blowhard politician, and the only hope and change will be for a socialist to sit in the Oval Office.

Jaibones on June 27, 2008 at 1:48 PM

That is not the 2nd Amendment position I knew for many years.

It never gets stale, because there’s always something new coming out of Obama’s mouth to use against him.

/wipes tear of joy from eye

Bob's Kid on June 27, 2008 at 1:49 PM

Paul-Cincy on June 27, 2008 at 1:40 PM

This whole charade is just the usual Dance of the LeftWing Fairies, first to the far left, and then back to the center. Sometimes it works, since many voters are imbeciles. Obama has cynically and quite successfully expanded the pool of imbeciles by registering 18 years who have never voted before, as well as retarded people who want a black President.

It will require the votes of all thinking people to keep his stupid ass out of the White House.

Jaibones on June 27, 2008 at 1:52 PM

BHO, following JFKs lead, is saying:

“I’ve always been for the DC Gun Ban except that I’ve always been against it.

Or maybe the great “BJ” Clinton:

“It really just depends upon what the meaning of ban is? I never thought an outright ban meant someone couldn’t own a hand gun anyway. I mean, banning an entire class of historically available guns is just a minor type of restriction that most gun owners would support. OK, so the Supremes took away one itsy bitsy restriction.

“Could we get to some real issues, please, instead of all this politicized, racist fingerpointing?

EconomicNeocon on June 27, 2008 at 2:06 PM

Well if you’re going to record what the man says, sure. But that’s not very fair.

Chuck Schick on June 27, 2008 at 2:17 PM

Notice in the first video Obama blamed any confusion on a staffer? With all the problems he’s had with bad staff on his campaign how will he find anyone decent to run his administration?

seanhackbarth on June 27, 2008 at 2:33 PM

What a guy he can talk out of both sides of his mouth at the same time better than anybody on earth.Heaven help all of us!!!

thmcbb on June 27, 2008 at 2:36 PM

It seemed to me both answers were just and wishy-washy. Neither really said anything. If you want to like the man you could take away what you think from the answer. If you want to dislike the man you could take that away as well. Both were definitely Seinfeld worthy segments.

DrewVT6 on June 27, 2008 at 2:51 PM

Obama: I have consistently held this position.

Reporter: But yesterday you said…

Obama: I will not continue the failed policies of the past.
I am change you can believe in.

Reporter: But what will you do about…

Obama: Sorry, Sweetie, I’ll let you know in January, when I’m President.

Steve Z on June 27, 2008 at 2:53 PM

…I, uh, uuuhhmmm, well…basically, I’d like to take both sides of this issue, uhhh…well, basically, umm, because I believe the 2nd Ammendment is sacred to the angry, small town, religious right…and, uh, I’d be remiss in not saying that I would not fall completely in line with the community zealots’ desire to strip guns from their citizens either…yeah, that’s the ticket…I’d like to place myself firmly on record in support for both sides of this issue…yeah.

Wyznowski on June 27, 2008 at 3:22 PM

We have always been at war with Eastasia.

Kafir on June 27, 2008 at 3:28 PM

“The camel’s nose under the tent”

Hmm. I heard a mess of cliches in my day, but never that one. Wonder where it comes from?

\sarc

Swinehound on June 27, 2008 at 3:35 PM

We’ve been noting all of the international endorsements for BHO. You must visit ztruth.typepad.com/ and view Gaddafi’s June 26, 2008 address to his people about his brother, Obama the Muslim, his black brother who formally attended Muslim education.

Obama is ignorant of international politics and is not familiar with the Middle East Conflict. Obama’s disappointing claim that Jerusalem belongs entirely to Israel is based upon two things. One, this is merely an election “clearance sale” as they say in Egypt, merely election lies and propaganda for votes to win the election.
Furthermore, Obama is aware that Kennedy was assassinated by the Israelis for insisting on the Dimon Nuclear Plant being monitored. So Obama must be forgiven his propaganda lies. Behind Obama’s error in judgement, Obama really agrees with Gaddafi’s “final, deep-rooted historic solution to Israel; to implement the one state solution: ISRATINE.” That is the Change Obama holds in store for the world. THAT IS THE CHANGE WE CAN BELIEVE IN! That is the Change for which all Black Americans will rejoice. Finally, Obama is wrong to collaborate with those colonial powers who deny the Kurds their own nation that would secure stability in that region. Last of all, Obama is warned not to suffer a black inferiority complex in America since both whites and blacks [he racially omits mixed genetics including the Hispanic] are immigrants and America only BELONGS to our native tribes of Indians. Gaddafi warns that a black POTUS with an inferiority complex is much worse than the worst white supremacist.

All right. I know who Gaddafi is. My father with other American professors spent three summers in Libya at Gaddafi’s invitation/grant to teach. Yes, Gaddafi is an intense maniac with great intelligence. He knows his region better than Americans will admit. America wants to see what it wants to see. Gaddafi sees what his people and his Middle Eastern neighbors see. I think that what Gaddafi says regarding Obama should be remembered as a serious warning.

maverick muse on June 27, 2008 at 4:40 PM

In no way does Obama resemble JFK.

maverick muse on June 27, 2008 at 4:44 PM

Steve Z on June 27, 2008 at 2:53 PM

Bravo!

maverick muse on June 27, 2008 at 4:45 PM

Obama is such a tool. He really is.

Terrye on June 27, 2008 at 4:46 PM

Interviewer: You support the D.C. Handgun Ban

Obama: Right

Interiewer: And you said that its Constitutional

Obama: Right

Chakra Hammer on June 27, 2008 at 4:50 PM

Obama Supports DC Handgun Ban

Interviewer: You support the D.C. Handgun Ban

Obama: Right

Interiewer: And you said that its Constitutional

Obama: Right

Chakra Hammer on June 27, 2008 at 4:51 PM

Obama practices the law of abrogation.

Maquis on June 27, 2008 at 4:51 PM

Snake oil.

Metro on June 27, 2008 at 11:09 PM

When 98% of the national media are actively and openly campaigning for you, you don’t have to “get” much of anything.

Django on June 27, 2008 at 11:14 PM

Once Obama is through with all of us the Clintons will seem like Reagan.

elduende on June 27, 2008 at 11:27 PM

Ann Althouse says you’re “flat wrong” when you say “Obama contradicted himself about the D.C. gun case.” And she questions whether you understand the Youtube thingy. Heh.

Alan on June 28, 2008 at 1:26 PM

Ann in the tank!

Cf. http://althouse.blogspot.com/2008/03/in-tank.html

NCC on June 28, 2008 at 4:07 PM

I started reading Ann Althouse’s blog because she is frequently linked by Glenn at Instapundit. Unfortunately, I think she is frequently wrong and her reasoning is often unsound and verbose in my humble opinion. Her touch of Obamaphilia and lack of good reasons for it turns me off. She’s a perfectly decent person and I don’t think everyone has to be 100% in agreement in a highly partisan way but I gave up on reading her blog a few weeks ago for the above stated reasons.

Django on June 28, 2008 at 7:31 PM

But since so many get their news from the MSM, who will know.

amr on June 28, 2008 at 10:48 PM

Is Ron Zeigler still alive? Maybe Obama should hire him.

After all, all of Obama’s statements are inoperative within an hour of his uttering them….

sscrivener on June 29, 2008 at 2:46 AM