New ad: Tony Perkins hits Obama on abortion

posted at 10:55 am on June 27, 2008 by Allahpundit

Clever, although the question Perkins asks was put point-blank to the Chosen One at CNN’s “Compassion Forum” in April. Incidentally, “Meacham” is Newsweek editor Jon Meacham, whose magazine is so far in the tank for Obama that their McCain beat reporter was nearly kicked off Maverick’s plane. An obvious choice for moderator, you’ll agree:

MEACHAM: Senator, do you personally believe that life begins at conception? And if not, when does it begin?

OBAMA: This is something that I have not, I think, come to a firm resolution on. I think it’s very hard to know what that means, when life begins. Is it when a cell separates? Is it when the soul stirs? So I don’t presume to know the answer to that question. What I know, as I’ve said before, is that there is something extraordinarily powerful about potential life and that that has a moral weight to it that we take into consideration when we’re having these debates.

That’s not incompatible with the soundbite at the beginning of the clip, where he’s talking about men who don’t provide for their kids after they’re born. In theory, from conception until junior emerges, they’re merely, ahem, “potential fathers.” I wonder why a charming phrase like that has eluded colloquial usage, freighted as it is with the prospect of the baby dying before it’s delivered. Ah well. Like Yuval Levin says, if you want to see Obama tack right on this subject, just have the Supreme Court issue some sort of pro-life ruling before November. That always seems to do the trick.

Comments

Again, the idea that what a woman does with her own pregnancy is anyone’s business other than hers is beyond me. If you really think abortion is a sin, let God deal with it in the afterlife. On earth, it should be legal.

Enrique on June 27, 2008 at 10:58 AM

Cute baby.

aengus on June 27, 2008 at 11:00 AM

And if you fathered that child should you have a say in the matter?

carbon_footprint on June 27, 2008 at 11:01 AM

God cares what happens on Earth as well you know. Besides its not just a religious issue. Murder is always wrong. Lots of doctors now refuse to do abortions because medical science indicates that the baby is alive before it comes to term.

aengus on June 27, 2008 at 11:02 AM

WOW! That is a wonderful ad.

wise_man on June 27, 2008 at 11:03 AM

Excellent point. Awaiting Obama’s reply. I don’t expect one.

Maxx on June 27, 2008 at 11:04 AM

Now that’s an effective ad!

Unfortunately, it’s only preaching to the choir, but it makes it’s point.

JetBoy on June 27, 2008 at 11:04 AM

Enrique on June 27, 2008 at 10:58 AM

Its not her “pregnancy” it is her child. I consider it a sin because I consider it murder.

Using your logic, there shouldn’t be laws against murder, because, hell, God will sort out the murderers from the murdered, right?

jimmy the notable on June 27, 2008 at 11:06 AM

Very clever.

Babs on June 27, 2008 at 11:07 AM

You are absolutely right, it is beyond you. It’s also beyond me. But not in the way you are saying. How convenient to “let God deal with it in the afterlife.” After all, human life is such a trivial matter. I’ll quote the great Ronald Reagan when he said that it’s a funny thing that those who believe in abortion have already been born. In other words, their mothers chose life instead of murder. Ask Norma McCorvey how she feels about it now. Or ask Bernard Nathanson, a pioneer physician in the abortion “industry.” Both had a epiphany about abortion as many others have. Moral relativity is en vogue, but it sure as hell is specious.

Glynn on June 27, 2008 at 11:11 AM

Unfortunately, it’s only preaching to the choir, but it makes it’s point.
JetBoy on June 27, 2008 at 11:04 AM

I just donated $100 to Tony’s Family Research Council. They might just be able to put this ad or others on the air so it won’t just be to the choir.

wise_man on June 27, 2008 at 11:14 AM

Glynn on June 27, 2008 at 11:11 AM

Good job!

carbon_footprint on June 27, 2008 at 11:14 AM

Enrique on June 27, 2008 at 10:58 AM

The father has some business in the pregnancy, no? Just ask all the fathers being sued for child support.

In the above statement, try replacing “abortion” with “murder”, or “rape”. Then you get an idea on how stupid the statement is.

ynot4tony2 on June 27, 2008 at 11:16 AM

“What I know, as I’ve said before, is that there is something extraordinarily powerful about potential life and that that has a moral weight to it that we take into consideration when we’re having these debates,” -Hussein

So: a live sperm finds its way to a live egg, they merge, and presto! maybe there’s no life in the zygote?

One trait of arrogant people is that they think they’re smarter than everyone else. Hussein is not smart, he’s arrogant.

Akzed on June 27, 2008 at 11:18 AM

Another Hypo-Chrisitian classic: Don’t kill a fetus because life is precious. Instead, kill teenagers and adults by the [Army] truckloads and, of course, anybody who doesn’t think our god is better than their god. Funny, I never see these clowns shed a tear for a death-row inmate. I guess only some lives are worth saving, huh?

DanKenton on June 27, 2008 at 11:19 AM

How long are people going to tolerate this jackass? He doesn’t know when life begins; he’s not certain about an individual’s right to bear arms; he doesn’t think we should exploit our oil resources but has no concrete ideas about how to solve our energy problems; he is willing to let the Iraq people return to death and chaos to satisfy his brain dead anti war supporters; he can’t decide whether or not to honor our flag and our nation; His faith is so weak that he dumped a church he had attended for over 20 years; and, Frankly, he has absolutely no workable approach for dealing with either the domestic or international problems in our very dangerous world. The dolt is a zero, naught, nothing. Wake up people before it’s too late.

rplat on June 27, 2008 at 11:20 AM

She’s sharing that pregnancy with the child, Enrique, it’s not “her own pregnancy”.

jdpaz on June 27, 2008 at 11:20 AM

It’s getting to the point with B.O. and his gift of pandering that getting an answer to a question like the one posed here depends on which direction the wind is blowing. On the other hand, asking for a straight answer from B.O. on anything these days is asking the impossible, unless of course, he gets approval to answer from his master, Darth Soros.

pilamaye on June 27, 2008 at 11:21 AM

DanKenton on June 27, 2008 at 11:19 AM

Epic fail. Someone at a liberal blog wants you back.

wise_man on June 27, 2008 at 11:22 AM

If it is merely a “fetus”, an underhanded way to dehumanize unborn life IMO, then why are those that murder pregnant women charged with MURDERING the unborn “child”? Shouldn’t they get murder for the woman and like a ticket for the fetus?

Life begins at conception, Period.

Also,

Glynn on June 27, 2008 at 11:11 AM

Well said!

Swinehound on June 27, 2008 at 11:23 AM

DanKenton on June 27, 2008 at 11:19 AM

Hypo-Christian? That means under-Christian. Huh?

So, I guess by this you mean that:
A. We shouldn’t have a military, or if we do, we should never allow any of it into combat. Is that a fair analysis of your view? If not please elaborate.
B. Please direct me to any Christian or anyone else saying that non-Christians should be killed for not believing in the God of Christianity.

Akzed on June 27, 2008 at 11:25 AM

DanKenton on June 27, 2008 at 11:19 AM

I’m not even really a social conservative, but that must be one of the dumbest remarks known to man. Uh, dude?

Death Row Inmate ≠ Unborn Baby

One’s a person convicted of murder, the other an…unborn baby.

amerpundit on June 27, 2008 at 11:25 AM

DanKenton on June 27, 2008 at 11:19 AM

Really? Are you equating a Rapist/Murder with an unborn innocent child? Just because some woman doesn’t feel like raising the child doesn’t mean it’s ok to kill it. There is always adoption as an option and of course BIRTH CONTROL!

saltydogg14 on June 27, 2008 at 11:27 AM

Enrique on June 27, 2008 at 10:58 AM

Enrique, did your mother have the right to abort you before you were born?

JustTruth101 on June 27, 2008 at 11:30 AM

DanKenton on June 27, 2008 at 11:19 AM

So you agree with the Supreme Court, that a man who savagely rapes an 8 year old girl should not executed? In your world, does an unborn child have any of the rights that a child rapist has? If not, why not? If so, please list them. Thanks.

Akzed on June 27, 2008 at 11:30 AM

DanKenton on June 27, 2008 at 11:19 AM

….kill teenagers and adults by the [Army] truckloads…
I assume you are talking about soldiers? See, soldiers make their own decision, and a courageous, noble one, when they sign up for the military. Babies don’t get that option. Your argument is childish and stupid.

….and, of course, anybody who doesn’t think our god is better than their god….

Finally, we agree if you are talking about radical muslims. If you are speaking of Christians, please provide citations.

I never see these clowns shed a tear for a death-row inmate.

Because the death-row inmate made his own decision to take a life. I guess the fact that you mourn murderers paints your character pretty well?
Idiot.

carbon_footprint on June 27, 2008 at 11:31 AM

Life does begin at conception,sperm and egg,and
the chain reaction so to speak begins!

Now,Obama painted himself into a corner on this
one quite nicely,and he said it,period,on video!

But,like Slick Bill Clinton,the MSM will probably
step in and help Obama,redifine the word “Conception”,
in the same manner as Bill Clinton besmirched the word
is is !

canopfor on June 27, 2008 at 11:33 AM

DanKenton on June 27, 2008 at 11:19 AM
Another Hypo-Chrisitian classic: Don’t kill a fetus because life is precious.

Instead, kill teenagers and adults by the [Army] truckloads and, of course,

ALL VOLUNTEER FORCE, AND MOST WOULDN’T TRADE WITH YOU IN YOUR OBVIOUSLY CUSHY LIFE.

anybody who doesn’t think our god is better than their god.

YOU NEED TO GET OUT MORE. EH, IT IS THEY WHO ARE KILLING “NON-BELIEVERS IN THEIR GOD AS THEIR GOD DIRECTS.

Funny, I never see these clowns shed a tear for a death-row inmate.

EYE FOR AN EYE, TOOTH FOR A TOOTH AS IT WERE. THEY ARE NOT INNOCENT, YOU KNOW THAT WHOLE PRISON DEATH ROW THING.

I guess only some lives are worth saving, huh?

THE CONCEIVED CHILD IS THE ONLY TRULY INNOCENT AND THAT IS WHAT YOU ARGUING FOR KILLING. TYPICAL LIBERAL.

Swinehound on June 27, 2008 at 11:33 AM

Interesting phrase, but still lacking one move before checkmate. In addition, the way Obama operates is always conditional. It’s conditional to the people he addresses. It is conditional to a timeline of events.

This is a good advertisement, but its the wrong messenger. The messenger needs to be someone that advocates birth control, but does in fact believe life begins at conception.

gabriel sutherland on June 27, 2008 at 11:37 AM

DanKenton on June 27, 2008 at 11:19 AM

This canard is as old as abortion itself. Adults make choices and the unborn have choices made for them. In this country we have a voluntary military and a court system that tries to maintain a standard of innocent until proven guilty. Your argument is tired and weak.

NotCoach on June 27, 2008 at 11:39 AM

You can tell he’s used to handling babies.

baldilocks on June 27, 2008 at 11:41 AM

“our god is better than their god”
DanKeaton on June 27,2008 at 11:19PM.

DanKeaton: You must be one politicaly perplexed individual,
you must visit Syria,or Iran,and ask the exact
same question to the Jihadys who want American’s
dead!

BTW,the Jihady’s aren’t too peticular,to them
Republicans and Democrat Liberals are the same!

And,aren’t you running behind,for your Liberal
pray worship!

canopfor on June 27, 2008 at 11:42 AM

Enrique, did your mother have the right to abort you before you were born?

JustTruth101 on June 27, 2008 at 11:30 AM

Exactly. How many adults wish they would have been aborted instead? It’s easy to kill the unborn because they do not resist it. But one would be hard pressed to find adults who wish Mom would have just killed them before birth instead.

NotCoach on June 27, 2008 at 11:42 AM

You can tell he’s used to handling babies.
baldilocks on June 27, 2008 at 11:41 AM

The only compassion he shows is for convicted murderers. Huh.

Akzed on June 27, 2008 at 11:45 AM

wow, an abortion thread! The moral equivalence that pro-abortion folks stretch to is amazing, and illogical. They constantly put the corrupt and evil on par with indefensible innocence.

kirkill on June 27, 2008 at 11:48 AM

Ok I’ll admit that’s a good ad. I typically think the pro-life and pro-choice people are both a bit uh… extreme. But that was a good one.

Baby is a chubber :)

Dash on June 27, 2008 at 11:49 AM

pro-abortion people just want to be hedonists with no responsibility.

kirkill on June 27, 2008 at 11:50 AM

NotCoach on June 27, 2008 at 11:42 AM

And of course all of the pro-abortion people know this. They’ll never talk about this or reply to this question because the existence of this question undermines their very position. Then again, logic seldom gets in the way to many democrats, liberals, anti-war and pro-abortion people to begin with.

wise_man on June 27, 2008 at 11:51 AM

Now that’s an effective ad!

Unfortunately, it’s only preaching to the choir, but it makes it’s point.

JetBoy on June 27, 2008 at 11:04 AM (revised)

Notice the dichotomy here…. either it’s effective or it’s not!
It’s not a good ad and it’s not effective if it’s only preaching to the choir.

I know what your trying to say here, but it reeks of fatalism, which next to the gospel of liberalism is our worst enemy!

If tomorrow we got rid of fatalism, we would also be rid of liberalism!

Because liberalism is evil and destructive to our country’s founding principles, it wins when it goes unchallenged….

….And… within fatalism is the mindset that evil will have it’s day no matter what we do to challenge it…(and that applies for you end-times doomsday apologists as well. And NO, you in your finite knowledge and wisdom, do not know what “end times” will bring!!… Period! End of story!)

So, all you fatalistic inclined should be ashamed of yourself, that is, if you really love this country and desire to win the war against liberalism.

End of story rant.

Mcguyver on June 27, 2008 at 11:52 AM

I’m quite comfortable with being “extreme” in defending innocent life.

marc@hubsandspokes on June 27, 2008 at 11:57 AM

My mother should have aborted me. She was bedridden with a severely damaged vertebra after my sister was born and the doctors told her she should not have any more children. She could have easily qualified for that “health of the mother” exception that liberals love to talk about. I’m sure glad she didn’t. After I was born, she had a hysterectomy and a spinal fusion. She later told me she was devastated because she wanted to have at least one more child (I was the last of 5.)

My father-in-law certainly should have been aborted. His mother was 15 and unmarried when he was conceived, and this was in 1930 when that was seriously stigmatized. Thankfully, her parents were strict Catholics and did not believe in abortion. He had a tough childhood and his mother never treated him well, but he is one of the greatest people I know, as is my husband who benefited from his wisdom and inner strength.

rockmom on June 27, 2008 at 11:59 AM

Funny, I never see these clowns shed a tear for a death-row inmate.

DrSteve on June 27, 2008 at 12:01 PM

Dash on June 27, 2008 at 11:49 AM

You typically think? What’s that mean?

How does one compromise on abortion? Just chop off the baby’s legs but let it live? Are you equally equivocal on matters like rape, self-defense, slavery, gay marriage? This is an incomprehensible statement you’ve made.

Akzed on June 27, 2008 at 12:03 PM

Plenty of Christians oppose both abortion and capital punishment. Ever heard of Catholicism? I hear it used to be all the rage in Europe. DrSteve on June 27, 2008 at 12:01 PM

Vatican City had its own death penalty until the 1960′s. Like most things liberal, sentimentality towards murderers is a novel thing.

Akzed on June 27, 2008 at 12:04 PM

DanKenton on June 27, 2008 at 11:19 AM

How about this one for irony? Another hypo-liberal classic: Don’t kill a convicted criminal because, hey, you never know – that person just might be a victim of our unjust criminal court system. Instead, kill innocent babies because that’s just a “choice.”

I’m one of those weird conservatives who are anti-abortion AND anti-capital punishment. I don’t believe any of us have the right to take a life.

pullingmyhairout on June 27, 2008 at 12:06 PM

Sam Perkins, gonna be a great 3 point shooter!

kirkill on June 27, 2008 at 12:08 PM

the squishy middle speaks! can’t decide between right and wrong? Life and death? take the squishy gray in the center! it’s hip!

“It is amazing how many people mistake a certain hip snideness for sophistication.” — Thomas Sowell

kirkill on June 27, 2008 at 12:11 PM

Funny, I never see these clowns shed a tear for a death-row inmate.

Dear Clown,
Maybe because they’ve already shed a tear for the innocent lives brutally taken by said death-row inmate.

kirkill on June 27, 2008 at 12:13 PM

The moveon.idiots must be crapping themselves over the fact that their Alex ad is blowing up in their smug faces…let’s see how creative they get next time.

PatriotPete on June 27, 2008 at 12:13 PM

Enrique on June 27, 2008 at 10:58 AM

As others have pointed out, fathers are held financially responsible for the children they sire. Until the court stops doing that, the decision to continue a pregnancy is a joint one. Here in Texas, we had a case of a man who’d raised children for several years. After his divorce, he had a paternity test and found that he was not the father of any of them. The court still required that he pay child support.

I also think society has the right to protect its perpetuation. If people won’t have enough babies on their own, society has a right to restrict pregnancy terminations. We’re far from that kind of a scenario but Europe isn’t.

Kafir on June 27, 2008 at 12:14 PM

PatriotPete on June 27, 2008 at 12:13 PM

MoveOn PAC? Creative?

I am sure that their next ad will claim that John McCain is actually Hitler.

wise_man on June 27, 2008 at 12:16 PM

MoveOn PAC? Creative?

I am sure that their next ad will claim that John McCain is actually Hitler.

wise_man on June 27, 2008 at 12:16 PM

Yes, some cross between Hitler\Joe Hazelwood\Stalin…AND IT’S ALL GB’s FAULT!!!! (shhhh…don’t tell them that Bush isn’t on the ticket)

PatriotPete on June 27, 2008 at 12:23 PM

Enrique on June 27, 2008 at 10:58 AM

I think you are correct in part, an abortion is between you and God, but it should not be legal, it also should not be illegal.

If there has to be something on the books, then I would go with the illegal.

WoosterOh on June 27, 2008 at 12:25 PM

Outstanding ad. If the GOP pushed this message harder I think it would be a sure winner. Barack the Baby Killer needs to be exposed for what he is.

Jungliszt on June 27, 2008 at 12:28 PM

Enrique on June 27, 2008 at 10:58 AM

I disagree with you, but can you explain why I should have to pay for someone elses abortion?

ctmom on June 27, 2008 at 12:31 PM

DanKenton on June 27, 2008 at 11:19 AM

Funny, I never see these clowns shed a tear for a death-row inmate.

I’m trying hard not to make a Smokey Robinson reference. Ooops…too late.

I guess only some lives are worth saving, huh?

And the award for “Master of the Obvious” goes to…

ynot4tony2 on June 27, 2008 at 12:42 PM

Juno said she liked this ad.

custer on June 27, 2008 at 12:43 PM

You know, BHO only wants to save us from “punishments”.

On-my-soap-box on June 27, 2008 at 12:51 PM

DanKenton How about explaining what a Hypo-Christian is. Is it a Christian with a needle in her arm? And where did she get the (Army)truck? And why are only the Hypo-Christians responsible for nonabortion deaths? H. D. Thoreau would remind you that your tax dollars incriminate you as well. Having graduated from Obama U and learned to blame everyone else for everything doesn’t clean the blood off your hands.

snaggletoothie on June 27, 2008 at 12:55 PM

If you truely think murder is a sin, let God deal with it in the after life, it should be legal here on earth.
If you truely think theft is a sin, let God deal with it in the after life, it should be legal here on earth.
If you truely think …

I think you get the idea.

MarkTheGreat on June 27, 2008 at 1:13 PM

I would totally agree with you if this “sin” didn’t entail killing another human being who might just have a different opinion about it if only given the chance.

Bob's Kid on June 27, 2008 at 1:14 PM

So obviously you don’t believe in child support. All those in-genetics only fathers who are paying monthly for drunken one night stands or were trapped by girlfreinds or wives they were trying to leave shouldn’t have to send a check this month?

peacenprosperity on June 27, 2008 at 1:18 PM

If you really think abortion pedophilia, murder, etc. is a sin, let God deal with it in the afterlife.

peacenprosperity on June 27, 2008 at 1:19 PM

Barack Obama: “I am so fairminded and respectful of the diverse opinions on the origins of human life that I would not presume to know when the life of a fetus begins, and that same inclusiveness has led me to vote to kill a fetus at every stage of its development, from abortion in the first and second trimester, to partial-birth abortion in the last trimester, to letting a live-born aborted baby die, because, well, it was meant to be killed.”

Nichevo on June 27, 2008 at 1:28 PM

Is it ok with you for people to lure others on their property and murder them? After all it’s their house. It’s “beyond you” because you’re too morally bankrupt to figure out why we have those pesky murder laws in the first place.

Enrique on June 27, 2008 at 10:58 AM

Would you like to tell http://www.godlessprolifers.org that it’s wrong “because it’s a sin” as well?

Darth Executor on June 27, 2008 at 1:34 PM

pro-abortion arguments just don’t have the impact they used to.

sloopy on June 27, 2008 at 2:14 PM

Darth Executor on June 27, 2008 at 1:34 PM

This is very important. Thank you for posting this. Here is a group of antitheists who believe abortion is wrong. (For those who would posture that only rabid Christians are prolife).

Glynn on June 27, 2008 at 2:41 PM

because they do not resist it.

NotCoach on June 27, 2008 at 11:42 AM

Sad to say, and horrible to contemplate, but many of these little ones do indeed resist. They are supposed to be protected from danger in their mother’s womb, but instead are, basically, brutally and painfully attacked by outside forces,in which attacks their mothers are complicit.

Just about the most evil thing my mind can conceive of.

surrounded on June 27, 2008 at 2:51 PM

Obama is a no compromise liberal on abortion and everything else.

jukin on June 27, 2008 at 2:56 PM

You can tell he’s used to handling babies.
baldilocks on June 27, 2008 at 11:41 AM

The only compassion he shows is for convicted murderers. Huh.

Akzed on June 27, 2008 at 11:45 AMHuh?

baldilocks on June 27, 2008 at 3:03 PM

You can tell he’s used to handling babies.
baldilocks on June 27, 2008 at 11:41 AM

The only compassion he shows is for convicted murderers. Huh.

Akzed on June 27, 2008 at 11:45 AM

Huh?

baldilocks on June 27, 2008 at 3:03 PM

ynot4tony2 on June 27, 2008 at 11:16 AM

Bingo.

As for when life begins, the answer is at conception, of course. One could argue about when life begins to have value, but life begins at the beginning and there simply is no other reasonable answer.

Buy Danish on June 27, 2008 at 3:09 PM

DanKenton on June 27, 2008 at 11:19 AM

It is just and right to protect the innocent and punish the guilty. It is warped and twisted to punish the innocent and to protect the guilty (as liberals often do with their pro-abortion but anti-death penalty stances).

Theophile on June 27, 2008 at 3:12 PM

You can tell he’s used to handling babies.
baldilocks on June 27, 2008 at 11:41 AM

The only compassion he shows is for convicted murderers. Huh.

Akzed on June 27, 2008 at 11:45 AM

Huh?

baldilocks on June 27, 2008 at 3:03 PM

Huh? is the correct response, sometime I just stare at a post, and try to wonder who would write such a strange thing. Sometimes I get dizzy…

right2bright on June 27, 2008 at 3:18 PM

But it is not hers exclusively anymore, the person inside now has a vested interest on whether they live or die. It is a partnership, one is fighting to live, the “woman” either assists, or kills.
If you truly believed in the individuals right to decide, you would allow that right to be exercised.
What you want is to decide whether someone lives or dies, based on the convenience to you. Life to a “woman” is based on how they feel, not on any right to live.
The worst analogy would be if a man felt like raping you, his feelings trumps your rights…
What a strange society that would be, dependent on whose ever in power to decide life and death…

right2bright on June 27, 2008 at 3:28 PM

I guess only some lives are worth saving, huh?

DanKenton on June 27, 2008 at 11:19 AM

Finally people like you are getting it…
The innocent is more valuable then the one who wantonly kills.
If you had a choice would you choose the 4 year old, or the man who has brutally killed and disemboweled several people…or would you consider them equal.
And if since you brought up the Christians, do a little New Testament reading, it supports punishing the evil and protecting the innocent.
BTW, no exactly a new practice…although obviously foreign to you.

right2bright on June 27, 2008 at 3:34 PM

You can tell he’s used to handling babies.
baldilocks on June 27, 2008 at 11:41 AM

The only compassion he shows is for convicted murderers. Huh.

Akzed on June 27, 2008 at 11:45 AM

Huh?

baldilocks on June 27, 2008 at 3:03 PM

I think Azked thought you were making a sarcastic reference to DanKenton.

aengus on June 27, 2008 at 3:50 PM

Uh-oh. The use of his own words and logic.

Hope. Change. Future. That’s the answer.

And it’s all you need to know. And chant.

AmericanDad on June 27, 2008 at 4:08 PM

Enrique on June 27, 2008 at 10:58 AM

Clearly.

Jaibones on June 27, 2008 at 4:20 PM

Ok. Please take a look at http://www.gallup.com/poll/1576/Abortion.aspx, which are the Gallup polls on abortion. Many of you absolutely hate people who are pro-choice to any significant degree, but the polls seem to say that most of the US won’t support significant restrictions on abortion in at least the first three months. They also suggest that positions on abortion haven’t changed significantly for decades and that most people want to find a compromise.

So, other than hating people like me from afar and praying to change minds (which doesn’t seem to have been successful), please tell me how you plan to win this battle? Pass laws making it illegal to have pro-choice views? Pass laws requiring companies to give preference to people with pro-life views? Making it illegal to cross state lines to have an abortion (probably unconstitutional to the extent it restricts an adult’s right to travel)? Have a civil war or what?

I sincerely mean this. What is your game plan?

jim m on June 27, 2008 at 4:28 PM

Enrique on June 27, 2008 at 10:58 AM

One of your more intellectually dishonest posts Enrique. If memory serves, you have already identified yourself as an atheist in several posts. There is no issue with a woman having control of her own body. The debate is over whether the woman has a right to end the life of an innocent and helpless human being.

DanKenton on June 27, 2008 at 11:19 AM

Wrong on so many levels, genius. That you would even consider humanely ending the life of a convicted murderer no different than tearing an innocent and helpless human being to shreds tells me all I need to know about you. Decency prevents me from even typing my opinion of you.

MarkM on June 27, 2008 at 5:01 PM

Baby is a chubber :)

Dash on June 27, 2008 at 11:49 AM

YEP!
Babies crack me up as long as they have a fresh diaper, and they are aren’t crying. :}

Chakra Hammer on June 27, 2008 at 5:15 PM

BUMPER STICKER:

HOPE (above picture of unborn child)

CHANGE (above picture of abortionist knife)

Maquis on June 27, 2008 at 5:16 PM

When does life begin???? Hint: It began before “conception”.

The answer can usually be found in the first part of the first chapter of every biology textbook I’ve ever seen. Pasteur elegantly showed that life begets life. Putting aside the origin of life, life does not spring from non-life. Thus, the egg is alive, the sperm is alive. They combine to form a unique life. If the egg and sperm come from humans, they combine to form a unique human life. That’s grade school biology. Anything else is simply politics.

taznar on June 27, 2008 at 7:04 PM

..but the polls seem to say that most of the US won’t support significant restrictions on abortion in at least the first three months.
jim m on June 27, 2008 at 4:28 PM

The decision established a system of trimesters that attempted to balance the state’s legitimate interests against the abortion right. The Court ruled that the state cannot restrict a woman’s right to an abortion during the first trimester, the state can regulate the abortion procedure during the second trimester “in ways that are reasonably related to maternal health”, and the state can choose to restrict or proscribe abortion as it sees fit during the third trimester when the fetus is viable (“except where it is necessary, in appropriate medical judgment, for the preservation of the life or health of the mother”).

Now look at these statistics.

In 1987, the Alan Guttmacher Institute collected questionnaires from 1,900 women in the United States who came to clinics to have abortions. Of the 1,900 questioned, 420 had been pregnant for 16 or more weeks. These 420 women were asked to choose among a list of reasons why they had not obtained the abortions earlier in their pregnancies. The results were as follows:[3]

* 71% Woman didn’t recognize she was pregnant or misjudged gestation
* 48% Woman found it hard to make arrangements for abortion
* 33% Woman was afraid to tell her partner or parents
* 24% Woman took time to decide to have an abortion
* 8% Woman waited for her relationship to change
* 8% Someone pressured woman not to have abortion
* 6% Something changed after woman became pregnant
* 6% Woman didn’t know timing is important
* 5% Woman didn’t know she could get an abortion
* 2% A fetal problem was diagnosed late in pregnancy
* 11% Other

Buy Danish on June 27, 2008 at 8:30 PM

MarkM on June 27, 2008 at 5:01 PM

Genius? I’m afraid I’m a bit overqualified for genius in your world. You hypochristians don’t set the bar very high. First off not every person executed on death row is guilt however, I know you bible-worshipers are just fine with the innocent being swept up with the guilty…like the 40,000+ dead civilians in Iraq? Are you weeping for them? Rationalize that you schmuck.

DanKenton on June 27, 2008 at 9:15 PM

Enrique how would you feel if your mother had directed a doctor to ram a pair of scissors into the base of your skull at partial birth before you had a chance to excercise your freedoms of speech in this fine country? Enjoy a taco or steak sandwich? Icecream cone….

wepeople on June 27, 2008 at 9:26 PM

wepeople on June 27, 2008 at 9:26 PM

He wouldn’t feel anything…he’d be dead.

DanKenton on June 27, 2008 at 9:50 PM

DanKenton on June 27, 2008 at 9:15 PM

There is no such word as hypochristian and I challenge you to prove me wrong. It doesn’t even make sense. That is my first point. Here is my second. A lot of prolifers are against the death penalty. I happen to be one of them. I am also a Christian. That pretty much shoots your theory. There is a link above to a website of antitheists who are prolife. That not only shoots your theory, it shoots the hell out of your theory. Next point, where was the compassion of people like you for all the innocent dying in Iraq before we went in? Tortured, maimed, raped, abducted, gassed, dismembered, you know, all that stuff. I swear I never heard a peep out of anyone.

Here is my last point, since you must equate the unborn with those on death row, let me say this. Before they got to death row, those men and women had the full measure of justice the US has to offer, including trials, retrials, appeals, court appointed lawyers, a jury of their peers, and a law established on religious doctrine…THOU SHALT NOT KILL…the same doctrine that applies to abortion as far as I am concerned, only the unborn child has none of the “rights” extended to the felon. Tell me, where is there justice in that?

Glynn on June 27, 2008 at 10:14 PM

There is no such word as hypochristian and I challenge you to prove me wrong.

Hypochristian is merely a combination of the words hypocrite and christian. You may argue that it’s not a legitimate word because it’s not contained in any dictionary but I’m sure that hasn’t stopped you from using unique words of your own. Just a few years ago you couldn’t find the word McJob in the dictionary but today you can. It doesn’t make sense to you because you’re a christian who believes that his crap doesn’t stink and that no blemish can befall your holier-than-thou existence. You and your fellow death-worshipers sin without recourse because at some point in life you dipped you head in some toilet bowl and declared yourself saved. All the while, you preach to others on how morally vacuous their lives are because they haven’t found jeebus and the big book of bull.

Now, back to the fetus. If the unborn are actual, living people, why aren’t they counted in the census? Why aren’t they 9 months old when they’re born instead of 0? When they are aborted, why aren’t funerals held? Why can’t you take a tax deduction for them? And, if a fetus is aborted, does it automatically go to heaven or does it go to hell because it never accepted jeebus into its heart…I’ll let slide the baptism part since it was already covered in water….or does it have to be holy water?

DanKenton on June 27, 2008 at 11:00 PM

DanKenton on June 27, 2008 at 11:00 PM

I have been respectful in my posts to you because, frankly, I thought you might be a little unbalanced. You have now removed all doubt. This little immature rant of yours proves that you have no logical, ethical, moral or theoretical stance. It’s just verbiage vomitus and not even good stuff. I am done responding to you.

Glynn on June 27, 2008 at 11:09 PM

DanKenton on June 27, 2008 at 11:00 PM

Maybe Peter Singer can answer some of your questions:

“We think that some infants with severe disabilities should be killed.” The reason that Singer supports infanticide in such cases is not, as one might expect from a utilitarian, to put an end to the newborn’s suffering; as Singer himself repeatedly points out, in many of the cases in which he favors infanticide there is no physical pain or suffering of any kind involved. His stated reason, rather, is that such children have diminished prospects of eventually enjoying an adequate “quality of life”, in his words, and to allow them to live would take away resources from what Singer calls “normal” children. He therefore advocates killing “disabled” infants, if the parents so choose, and replacing them with “normal” ones. The terminology of “replacement” is Singer’s own; his philosophy “treats infants as replaceable”, in his words (Practical Ethics p. 186).

I trust that you, yourself are in good health, with no disabilities.

Buy Danish on June 27, 2008 at 11:21 PM

DanKenton on June 27, 2008 at 11:00 PM

The prodigal idiot returns.
How does it feel to be a stupid troll pussy?

carbon_footprint on June 27, 2008 at 11:42 PM