McCain on immigration reform: “I’m glad I did it”

posted at 1:16 pm on June 27, 2008 by Allahpundit

Via Byron York. We know he’s planning to revisit the issue — the day after he’s inaugurated, no less — but the lack of remorse is news to me. What happened to that “lesson” he supposedly learned about securing the border first?

College betting is obviously an interstate commerce issue

(So Nevada should not have the right to have sports betting?)

The issue has been dead for years

(Despite your efforts, and I thought you were running on effectiveness, so how can it be dead?)

I haven’t won on every issue. I didn’t win on immigration reform, but I’ll go back at it. And I’m glad I did it.

Watch the Meet the Press clip linked up top to remind yourself of how uncomfortable he was, even when he was spouting garbage about having learned his lesson, with saying that he’d veto his crap amnesty bill if it landed on his desk as president. He succeeded in dodging the question entirely with Russert, in fact, but was finally badgered into saying that he’d veto it — almost en passant — at the Reagan Library debate three days later. It comes right at the beginning here, around 35 seconds in. Exit question: Why on earth would he feel compelled to say he’s glad he pushed for a bill that the base hates with a nuclear passion? I understand he has to walk a tightrope between Latino voters and border-enforcement conservatives, but that’s precisely my point: This isn’t how you behave on a tightrope. This is him flipping the bird to amnesty opponents. What gives?

Comments

Comment pages: 1 3 4 5

Not at all. It’s fact. There is NO viable third party.

Look, you stupid and dishonest quack, you do not get to say which parties are “viable”. Your initial moronic comment was that there are only two parties. There are not. You are pathetic to keep pushing the same crap.

flenser on June 27, 2008 at 6:36 PM

So, are you for or against securing the border? And don’t say both.

flenser on June 27, 2008 at 6:27 PM

For.

Jetboy

For a boy who is “for” securing the border, you seem to have spent this entire thread pissing on the idea. Why is that?

flenser on June 27, 2008 at 6:37 PM

Its the contradictions that leave me scratching my head too.

Hey, it’s like talking to John McCain or Chris Cannon about the border. You get lip service about how of course we must secure the border, but all the actual recomendations are for amnesty and about how securing the border is impossible and not desirable even if possible.

If JB believes what he writes, he’s a dope. If he does not ..

flenser on June 27, 2008 at 6:42 PM

Following is one of the Medal of Honor stories we read to our grandkids on Memorial Day:

Sergeant Rafael Peralta was born on April 7, 1979 in Mexico City. He immigrated to the United States and joined the United States Marine Corps as soon as he had a green card. He became an American citizen while serving in the Marine Corps.

Rafael served the United States with enthusiasm and patriotism. On his bedroom walls hung only three items – a copy of the United States Constitution, the Bill of Rights and his boot camp graduation certificate.

What he did on the day of Nov. 15, 2004 was an awe-inspiring act of selfless sacrifice and faithfulness to his fellow Marines.

A week into the battle for Fallujah, the Marines were still doing the deadly work of clearing the city, house by house. As a platoon scout, 25 year old Rafael didn’t have to go out with the assault team that day. He volunteered to go.

Rafael led his team through a series of house clearings before charging into the fourth house. The Marines entered house and kicked in the doors of two rooms that proved empty. But there was another closed door to an adjoining room. It was unlocked, and Rafael, in the lead, opened it. He was immediately hit with AK-47 fire in his face and upper torso by three insurgents. He fell out of the way into one of the cleared rooms to give his fellow Marines a clear shot at the enemy. During the firefight, a fragmentation grenade flew out of the room, landing near Rafael and several fellow Marines. The uninjured Marines tried to scatter out of the way, two of them trying to escape the room, but were blocked by a locked door. At that point, barely alive, Peralta grabbed the grenade and cradled it to his body. His body took most of the blast. One Marine was seriously injured, but the rest sustained only minor shrapnel wounds.

In 2006, the chief of police for the San Diego Police Department posthumously awarded Rafael the honorary title of San Diego police officer for his heroic actions in Iraq. The badge was presented to his mother, Rosa Peralta. Rafael always wanted to be a San Diego police officer.

In 2007, the Command Post at Camp Hansen, Okinawa, was christened Peralta Hall in his honor.

Rafael’s sacrifice should be a legend in the making. But somehow heroism doesn’t get traction in our media. The Washington Post and the New York Times only mentioned his name in their lists of the dead. Let us remember his name: Rafael Peralta, and the words he once wrote to his 14-year old brother:

Be proud of me, bro…and be proud of being an American.

RushBaby on June 27, 2008 at 6:42 PM

More of the type RushBaby describes.
Fewer of the kind that bring carloads of meth up I-5.

innominatus on June 27, 2008 at 6:45 PM

FWIW Here is how Eisenhower solved the illegal alien problem. Eventually a guest-worker program was instituted where manpower was needed.

Now, I don’t personally believe in mass roundup deportations. I don’t think most of us on board here do. BUT consistently enforcing our existing laws definitely will lend itself to self-deportation. The states that are having success are finding that their budgets for schools, social services, and crime prevention/apprehension are much more manageable.

The Z-visas and several provisions of the most recent bill were a joke, providing plenty of work with years of litigation for immigration lawyers. No wonder our legal eagles in Congress were so thrilled that that (in Arlen Spector’s words) “grand bargain”.

onlineanalyst on June 27, 2008 at 6:45 PM

JetBoy

I am all for closing the border to illegal immigration. I only question it’s [closing the borders] worth.

The guy is unreal. He contradicts himself in successive sentences, and seems not to notice.

flenser on June 27, 2008 at 6:46 PM

Be proud of me, bro…and be proud of being an American.

RushBaby on June 27, 2008 at 6:42 PM

What a nativist!!

No seriously Rush Baby. Incredible stuff. For what its worth, Rafael Peralta, I won’t forget the name or more importantly the story.

Thanks Rush Baby for posting that.

Zetterson on June 27, 2008 at 6:48 PM

Doesn’t this guy have people working for him that cruise these rooms sticking up for their candidate? It’s kind of amazing how little attention he’s showing to the conservative crowd here.
JiangxiDad on June 27, 2008 at 6:24 PM

Hey, isn’t it true that liberal democrats cruise these rooms posing as conservatives, advocating that McCain isn’t worth voting for and that Obama will more likley win if fewer people vote for McCain while all of Obama’s supporters plant to vote? And isn’t it true the Ron Paul tards cruise these rooms advocating that McCain isn’t supported because they want another candidate than McCain and they want Obama to win to their guy can have a better chance to win in 4 years?

Yeah. There are!

I was wondering last night if the McCainiacs score any McCain.com-points with their, “Obama is worse”, arguments. I would guess no, but then what other arguments could they make? Either “Obama is worse” is worth points or else nobody earns any.
FloatingRock on June 27, 2008 at 6:35 PM

Thats because there are a lot of conservative who don’t like McCain but want Obama to loose, because Obama would be the (get this!) worst choice over Obama.

I know, hard to believe it, but there are real conservatives who are fighting back against the democrats who come to this site, hoping to get enough disgruntled republicans not to vote … and there are a lot of disgruntled conservatives who have some sort of brain injury and they actually think that McCain would be worse than Obama, and advocate the same things that the democrats are. i.e. that conservatives not vote for Obama.

Go figure.

wise_man on June 27, 2008 at 6:55 PM

wise_man on June 27, 2008 at 6:55 PM

So then you do get McCain-points for “Obama is worse”?

FloatingRock on June 27, 2008 at 6:58 PM

wise_man on June 27, 2008 at 6:55 PM

if i have to spend the next 4 years fighting against a president who tries to implement horrendous policies i want it to be a democrat.

no mccain supporter has offered any solid reasons to vote for mccain except the war. its a big reason but the reasons against, energy, economy, immigration, are all pretty damn important also.

but go ahead and keep accusing conservatives of having brain injuries, that will convince us to vote for mccain. or maybe you could convince mccain to try and work w/ us. oh wait, he only works w/ liberal democrats who help him suppress 1st amendment rights.

damn, i guess now i’ll be accused of “MDS”. how many points you get for that?

chasdal on June 27, 2008 at 7:04 PM

Since the Iragis are going to ask us to leave, it’s hard to say that the war is a good reason to suport McCain.

flenser on June 27, 2008 at 7:07 PM

Not at all. It’s fact. There is NO viable third party.

flenser on June 27, 2008 at 6:36 PM

Oh, Come on, You are smarter and more realistic than that.

There are no viable third parties right now.

And the reason why is because there aren’t enough people willing to stand behind the principles that they pretend to believe in. Because they are willing to accept what they believe are the lesser of the evils. Because the GOP can count on 75% of registered Republicans can go along with any idiot that they decide to put forward for any office. Because “Hold your nose and vote for X” has become not only acceptable, but de rigueur for both major parties.

But cheer up, Flenser… Once McCain and his ilk have finally destroyed any credibility of the Republican party, In 2012 (maybe even as early as the 2010 mid-terms) A third party will finally become viable.

I do agree with you that McCain (and even Obama) aren’t the nominees yet. It isn’t official until the national conventions say they are. But we might as well act as if McCain is, because the ‘hold your nosers’ don’t have the guts to stand up and demand that the RNC do the right thing, and those of us who actually grasp how big a danger McCain is to the future of the nation are small voices in the wilderness.

But…Barring the direct intervention of God, we ARE indeed going to be stuck with making a decision between either Obama and McCain, or, as I intend, making no choice at all for President, and put all of my effort and cash into geting a few real conservatives elected to the House and Senate.

In an election cycle that even a Bob Dole could kick the crap out of Obama at the polls, the GOP gives us about the only Republican that could lose to that Marxist – Maoist-Maumauist Moron. Sometimes the only way for people to really learn that the stove is hot, is to get burned. Unfortunately, those of us who know better are going to get burned too. About the only thing left to do is stock up on burn ointment and pain killers.

LegendHasIt on June 27, 2008 at 8:00 PM

McCain = traitor to his own people!!

DwnSouthJukin on June 27, 2008 at 8:05 PM

Oh, Come on, You are smarter and more realistic than that.

No, they’re not.

wise_man on June 27, 2008 at 8:14 PM

wise_man on June 27, 2008 at 8:14 PM

Funny how a thread can go like gangbusters, then you show up, and it dies.

misterpeasea on June 27, 2008 at 9:36 PM

Funny how a thread can go like gangbusters, then you show up, and it dies.
misterpeasea on June 27, 2008 at 9:36 PM

I wouldn’t blame him for it… I think I’ve ‘killed’ more threads here than anyone. Michelle is probably about to ban me for cutting down on the traffic.

Whereas certain others will trade insults and argue who said what, when; interminably. Makes for very tiresome reading, but good for Michelle’s ad rates.

LegendHasIt on June 27, 2008 at 10:04 PM

LegendHasIt on June 27, 2008 at 10:04 PM

Amen, brother. I can’t figure out why such outspoken and enthusiastic and assertive people screw around and nitpick instead of getting to the substance. Makes me suspicious of them.

misterpeasea on June 27, 2008 at 10:12 PM

No, they’re not.

wise_man on June 27, 2008 at 8:14 PM

People who don’t want to vote for McCain are not beneath you, narcissistic_man. I do place the majority of McCain supporters above you, though. Even some Obama supporters. No matter who you are voting for, to insult people who are not going to vote for your candidate shows one thing: You’re just like McCain. You say “screw you” to anyone who disagrees with you, and makes arrogant pshaws to those who point out his faults, while taking pride in them. You’re to John McCain as Chrissy Matthews is to Obama. You’re one and the same, and deep down, it sickens you.

Man up and face what you have become.

MadisonConservative on June 27, 2008 at 10:27 PM

misterpeasea on June 27, 2008 at 10:12 PM

The little substance that ever existed in trying to make this sow’s ear into a silk purse has long been exhausted. Heck, I’m getting sick of my own near constant re-hashing of both verifiable fact and my own opinions. I guess trading insults is about all that anyone has left that is ‘fresh and new’.

LegendHasIt on June 27, 2008 at 10:28 PM

I understand he has to walk a tightrope between Latino voters…

STOP SAYING LATINO VOTERS!!! Not all of us Latinos favor amnesty.

madmonkphotog on June 27, 2008 at 11:04 PM

flenser on June 27, 2008 at 6:36 PM

I’m back.
I think anyone giving our exchange a fair reading would deem you the stupid dishonest quack. My initial statement was that one of two people will win this election. We all know who those two people are.
Your insistence that some yet to be named candidate has even a remote chance of becoming President makes you the stupid one.
Your claim that I said there were only two parties makes you the liar.
Your reliance on bluster and insults instead of facts makes you the quack.

The only point I’ve made in this thread, aside from pointing out your pure ass-hattery, is that McCain or Obama will be President come January. I prefer McCain to Obama, so I’ll vote for him. Neither of these points are debatable, so why do you insist on making a fool of yourself? Are you a Moby, trying to sow discontent among the true conservatives? You are certainly not a conservative.

thebriand on June 27, 2008 at 11:17 PM

Look: John McCain is NOTHING to conservatives if he has no credibility, and his honesty is impugned.

Unfortuntely, John McCain HIMSELF, time after time after time gives conservatives no alternative but to question his honesty and integrity because his steadfast refusal to come clean about issues important to conservatives: Like illegal immigration.

I truly fear for this country under an Obama administration.

Thank you, John McCain, for continuing to support BHO’s candidacy.

seanrobins on June 27, 2008 at 11:22 PM

STOP SAYING LATINO VOTERS!!! Not all of us Latinos favor amnesty.

Well, thank Goodness for that.

Unfortunately, there are PRECIOUS FEW non-illegal immigration-loving Latinos willing to open their yaps against it to make much of a difference.

But, thanks for the thought, anyway…

seanrobins on June 27, 2008 at 11:24 PM

thebriand on June 27, 2008 at 11:17 PM

Nah. The problem is the same problem all sides of the aisle have…polarization. The ‘true-conservatives’ vs the ‘RINOs’ vs the ‘Evangelicals’, etc, etc, etc. I’ve gotten heated myself sometimes. The immigration issues almost broke my back until I stepped back and realized that a back brace was better then a wheel chair. Now with THAT said someone will jump me because I’m pointing some kind of finger at them, when in reality I’m just stating MY case. The polarized crowd doesn’t like that and doesn’t like that I won’t dance to their logic.

Polarized. Including me.

Limerick on June 27, 2008 at 11:28 PM

seanrobins on June 27, 2008 at 11:24 PM

My daughter is half Costa Rican. Both her and her mom want the buses loaded and pointed south. Both are Tancredo groupies. Go figure.

Limerick on June 27, 2008 at 11:30 PM

This is what I’ve been saying about McCain since he secured the nomination. Given how he tried to slime the amnesty through in the dead of night, I didn’t trust his about face for a second. However, I was dead wrong in my estimation of the timing. I didn’t think he would backflip on it until he was safely in office. I was expecting him to give us the finger on amnesty, but not until he was elected. He must be polling better with centrists and libs if he feels confident enough to give the conservatives the finger now. McCain wants to be elected without the baggage of owing the conservatives. No matter how much we may scream over border enforcement, judges, global warming, whatever; he’s building a separate power base. Know what that points toward? A massive screwing to what we believe in. This is why I call him ‘Backdoor John’. Backstabber, screwjob artist; hack owned by La Raza. He may well win but it won’t be with my vote; and the GOP won’t see a dime from me for the next 4 years. I guess I should thank old Backdoor John though; no matter how low I set my expectations, he showed up with a shovel and started to dig. Made me look like a bloody psychic.

austinnelly on June 27, 2008 at 11:33 PM

austinnelly on June 27, 2008 at 11:33 PM

and you said all that without calling anyone a moron, lunatic, troll, or libtard. Well done!

Limerick on June 27, 2008 at 11:36 PM

God, you people are pure distilled stupidity. Anybody eligible to be president can be president in November.

The reason America is a twitching corpse is because of people like you, with your moronic insistence on voting only from the slate of candidates the duopoly gives you.

But I suppose telling yourself this crap allows you to forgive yourself for voting for slime like McCain. And it’s all about you feeling good about yourself, isn’t it?

flenser on June 27, 2008 at 11:37 PM

thebriand on June 27, 2008 at 11:17 PM

Well, flenser’s position seems to be, vote for a 3rd party who most closely represents your positions, anything can happen. Which, I gotta tell you, doesn’t seem so offensive.

Mine is: Bambi might do more damage in the short term, but McCain will do more damage in the long term.

And I have yet to stumble across any convincing arguments to the contrary.

misterpeasea on June 27, 2008 at 11:37 PM

It does not surprise me in least. It’s mostly stupid and corrupt Americans who want amnesty. People who’ve left the third world don’t want it to follow them here.

flenser on June 27, 2008 at 11:40 PM

McCain reminds me of the old adage “When you try to please everyone, you please no one.”

Odrama stands for everything, therefore he stands for nothing. What about you, Senator McCain? What exactly do you stand for?

Connie on June 27, 2008 at 11:43 PM

I think that the American political system, which encourages the existence of only two parties, is a bad joke. Both parties are easily captured by the same interests.

The problem is compounded by the sort of people we see here, who seem to be no more capable of voting for somebody other than the Reps or Dems than they are of flapping their arms and flying.

The people who set up this country were working on the assumption that the voters were not fools. Some say that America was an experiment. If so, the experiment failed.

flenser on June 27, 2008 at 11:46 PM

LegendHasIt on June 27, 2008 at 8:00 PM

You, and many other here, act as if the party just declared McCain the nominee. WE HAD PRIMARIES! McCain won, fair and square. He is the nominee.
You say we should have the guts to demand the RNC do the right thing. Is the right thing to take the nomination a way from the man who fairly won it? All this jibber jabber would have meant something during the primaries. Right now it just seems like Operation Chaos in reverse. You are spoiling for a fight at the convention? That is the surest way to get Obama elected, and I am becoming more and more convinced that some of you want just that.

If in four years, a more conservative third party becomes viable, I’ll likely vote for their nominee. I won’t be holding my breath waiting.
This notion that losing this year will be good for the party is simple-minded and dangerous. We are at war. I shudder to think of the advances AQ will make under an Obama presidency. It pains me to think which rights will disappear, or magically appear, if even one more liberal is put on the Supreme Court. My wallet hurts when I hear Obama propose more and more government programs. I am scared to death of ObamaCare.
If you want to sit out, do it up. I think it’s a terrible idea.

thebriand on June 27, 2008 at 11:46 PM

What about you, Senator McCain? What exactly do you stand for?

Amnesty. First, last and always. Everything else is a side issue for McCain.

flenser on June 27, 2008 at 11:47 PM

We are not at war, you moron.

flenser on June 27, 2008 at 11:48 PM

Is the right thing to take the nomination a way from the man who fairly won it?

It is if you care about winning the election and the future of the country. Otherwise, not so much.

flenser on June 27, 2008 at 11:50 PM

flenser on June 27, 2008 at 11:37 PM

Now I am sure of it. You have absolutely no shame. I disagree with McCain on many issues, but he is certainly not slime. Your debate tactic is to call names and make things up.
If we, and when I say we, I mean conservatives, not you, couldn’t win the primary, it is preposterous to think we can win the national election via a third party. Your ranting can’t change that. Maybe in four years a party can be built. Maybe.
I’m still waiting to hear who you think is a viable candidate. I suspect you have no answer. None that wouldn’t make you look even more foolish, anyway. So, your answer must be to let Obama win. Again I say, this whole argument smells like Operation Chaos in reverse. Espescially given that your debate style is exactly what you find on any lefty blog. The ravings of a deluded tool.

thebriand on June 27, 2008 at 11:57 PM

flenser on June 27, 2008 at 11:46 PM

Hard to make the case that multi-party systems don’t end up with the one thing you are against the most, compromise. Look at any parliamentary system on the planet. All are led by coalitions. I don’t dispute that the right is moving left. Then again I’ve no doubt that Andrew Jackson would consider Nixon and moonbat.

There are a lot of security and defense reasons that I have chosen McCain that are outside the immigration and Iraq issue…missle defense, moderization of Navy carrier and submarine fleets, nuclear weapon upgrading, sustaining Space Command and it’s future offensive and defensive capabilities, NOT slowing our defense research…all of which Obama has publically stated (Feb 29) to be against.
This isn’t a one, or two, issue election.

Limerick on June 27, 2008 at 11:58 PM

flenser on June 27, 2008 at 11:50 PM

First you want to take voting rights away from people who disagree with you, now you are for throwing out the process altogether, AFTER it’s been settled.
To say that is a way to win the election is beyond absurd.

thebriand on June 28, 2008 at 12:04 AM

Is the right thing to take the nomination a way from the man who fairly won it?

Not saying take the nomination away from him, though the primary machinations make me unhappy.

I think going along with the liberal drift of the party, and affirming that the liberal drift of the party is OK by electing the liberal candidate, is simple-minded and dangerous. Their behavior will not change if they are rewarded for it.

War: out of self-interest, Bambi and the Dems won’t do anything stupid. They wanted defeat with a Republican President to take the blame, they don’t want defeat with a Democrat President to take the blame.

SCt: is as conservative as it’s been in forever. We have survived a liberal Supreme Court since FDR’s court-packing threat. And, no one has yet explained to me how President McCain is going to first, nominate a conservative judge, and second, get that judge past the Senate. Especially if it’s one of the leftists who is being replaced.

And I hate to break it to you, but McCain is going to be all over your wallet too. McCain and Bambi agree on the two stupidest and most costly policies: amnesty and global warming. And domestically, anything one Congress can do, the next can undo.

Who do you want discredited and blamed for the stupid and costly crap that is coming? Bambi and the Dems, or McCain and the Republicans? It looks like a no-brainer to me that it’s much better to have Bambi and the Dems discredit liberalism than to have McCain and the Republicans discredit conservatism.

misterpeasea on June 28, 2008 at 12:07 AM

We are not at war, you moron.

flenser on June 27, 2008 at 11:48 PM

Huh? You just keep topping your own stupidity. It’s really quite amazing.
Nonsensical statement, followed by insult. Repeat.

thebriand on June 28, 2008 at 12:09 AM

flenser…

here are Obama’s own words on defense…[comments in brackets my own]

Barak Obama Feb 29 2008

Second, I will cut tens of billions of dollars in wasteful spending.

I will cut investments in unproven missile defense systems.
[No missle defense]

I will not weaponize space.[strip Space Command]

I will slow our development of future combat systems.
[speaks for itself-let everyone else catch up so they don't feel theatened]

And I will institute an independent “Defense Priorities Board” to ensure that the Quadrennial Defense Review is not used to justify unnecessary spending.[Civilians decide what weapon systems the military REALLY needs]

Third, I will set a goal of a world without nuclear weapons. To seek that goal, I will not develop new nuclear weapons; I will seek a global ban on the production of fissile material; and I will negotiate with Russia to take our ICBMs off hair-trigger alert, and to achieve deep cuts in our nuclear arsenals.[no fissle material???? How does America, without nuclear weapons, keep dictators from reaching across borders?]

If you think of what Obama can do to us, beyond immigration, judges, and taxes, the night becomes darker then McCain would ever make it.

Limerick on June 28, 2008 at 12:15 AM

My guess is that flenser has turned out the light, so no offense on not answering.

For others, there are my reasons for voting for McCain that go beyond immigration and Iraq. I believe that answers the charge that McCain supporters can’t justify their vote for McCain based on the ‘facts’.

Limerick on June 28, 2008 at 12:23 AM

And so we have two candidates, since you are not supporting McCain, then I am assuming you have embraced Obama.
Well, aren’t you the discerning one…

right2bright on June 27, 2008 at 4:44 PM

Never assume as it may make an ass out of you.

MB4 on June 28, 2008 at 12:33 AM

misterpeasea on June 28, 2008 at 12:07 AM

Do you really think Obama will be as effective in the GWOT as McCain? I do not.
Do you really think the SCOTUS is conservative? I don’t. They just gave terrorists access to our court system. With one more liberal on that court, the 2nd Amendment would have been thrown out the window.
Do you really think McCain will raise taxes in the way a socialist Democrat would? I do not.
As far as who takes the blame for the bad stuff, I’d rather worry about limiting the bad stuff.
I think McCain is completely wrong on immigration. He’s completely wrong on global warming. He was wrong on many thing over the years. You’ll have no argument from me on that.
I still say he is far better than the alternative.
My choice is to “hold my nose” and vote for him. Your choice I take it, is to sit it out. I can definitely understand that point of view, I just disagree with it.

thebriand on June 28, 2008 at 12:34 AM

MB4 on June 28, 2008 at 12:33 AM

You seem to be my only adversary with the view that my arguments for McCain today will be negated by Obama’s bus tomorrow.

The vodka tonight is grand.

Limerick on June 28, 2008 at 12:39 AM

The one analogy of McCain calling a soldier and telling them they are deporting their mother, is cute, but case by case we can remedy those. That one case out of 20 million we can handle.

right2bright on June 27, 2008 at 5:31 PM

I wounder how Juan, if he becomes el Presidente, which no longer seems very likely, would like to call an American Soldier or Marine serving in Iraq or Afghanistan and tell him that his mother was killed by a drunk driving illegal alien or that his wife or girl friend was raped, and maybe murdered, by an illegal alien.

MB4 on June 28, 2008 at 12:43 AM

The vodka tonight is grand.

Limerick on June 28, 2008 at 12:39 AM

I could go for some Goose right now. As it is, I’ll settle for the couple of Bud’s I’ve been holding onto since last weekend. Cheers.

thebriand on June 28, 2008 at 12:50 AM

thebriand on June 28, 2008 at 12:50 AM

Cheers, indeed.

Limerick on June 28, 2008 at 12:55 AM

MB4 on June 28, 2008 at 12:33 AM

The vodka tonight is grand.

Limerick on June 28, 2008 at 12:39 AM

You and I both know that Obama will likely win and MicroBrew is better. That reminds me.

MB4 on June 28, 2008 at 12:55 AM

On the dais with Obama, Hillary Clinton in a show of unity placed judges as a top priority of issues in this campaign. Think about the long-range damage that an Obama presidency would assure.

onlineanalyst on June 28, 2008 at 6:28 AM

Americans should study and know our own history of immigration policies. Onlineanalyst @ 6:45 pm mentioned Eisenhower’s response. I would refer readers to read and learn.

maverick muse on June 28, 2008 at 8:57 AM

All you Republican Koolaide drinkers enjoy! But don’t complain if this idiot is elected, which he won’t be. You will get what the Republican party has given you! As for us conservatives, we shall sit this one out and wait for an election where we aren’t spit upon by both parties. Good luck!

sabbott on June 28, 2008 at 10:53 AM

The only thing that sucks worse than the Repubublican Party is the Democratic Party. I can’t support any party who’s best offering for POTUS is John Fiengold-Kennedy-Hernandez McCain, nor can I support a party who props up an empty suit as a savior.

God bless this country. As soon as we start demonstrating principles over political expediancy we’ll start turning this country around. Like an alcoholic, we first must hit rock bottom. (obviously we’re about there) Then the healing will begin hopefully with ballots but quite possibly with more brutal force. Whatever….. we’ll muddle through and my bet is that we’ll come up on top.

Didn’t Jefferson say ” The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time, with the blood of patriots and tyrants.” Well lately there seems to be a stench of Tyrants in the air. At very least the stench of elected officials who represent campaign contributers far more than the people who elected them. The ballot is a powerful tool only among honorable men. Other tools are for tyrants.

Ernest on June 28, 2008 at 10:55 AM

thebriand on June 28, 2008 at 12:34 AM

Do you really think Obama will be as effective in the GWOT as McCain?

No, I don’t. But I don’t think he’ll do anything catastrophic. Out of his own self-interest.

Do you really think the SCOTUS is conservative?

No, I don’t. It’s as conservative as it’s been in forever. And considering that Ginsburg and Stevens are the most likely candidates for retirement, it’s hard to imagine the appointment of more liberal justices. And it’s also hard to imagine it getting more conservative. A Democrat Senate is not going to allow McCain or anybody else to replace either of those loony leftists with a conservative.

Absolutely. As I said, McCain and Bambi agree on the two costliest policies we’re facing: amnesty and global warmism. Any other tax increases will pale in comparison to the ones required for those two things. And besides, if it means Bambi and the Dems get discredited and booted out of DC instead of McCain and the Republicans, I’m willing to pay that price.

So, McCain would be a bit better in the short run, but the punishment the Republicans would take far outweighs any difference between a Bambi and a McCain administration.

misterpeasea on June 28, 2008 at 1:26 PM

Does anybody know any liberals that fly the flag on Memorial Day or the 4th of July? Just something I have become aware of recently…….

ultracon on June 29, 2008 at 1:41 AM

sabbott on June 28, 2008 at 10:53 AM

thats for sure!! its like choosing between the devil and the deep blue sea….

this is a choice???