New Al Qaeda truck bomb video features … freed Gitmo jihadi

posted at 12:43 pm on June 26, 2008 by Allahpundit

Not just any freed Gitmo jihadi, either. Remember him? Revisit the exit question to that post. If Roggio’s right — and I say if because I’m not sure how he and Nibras Kazimi can be so sure the guy in the vid is the same Abdullah al-Ajmi — then the poor dear’s choice of target to supposedly avenge the hard time he had at Gitmo was curious indeed. 13 dead, 42 wounded in a truck bomb attack … on an Iraqi Army base. So much for grievance.

Read down to the end of his post, too, for a fascinating detail about where Al Qaeda got the images of the bombing aftermath it used in the clip. When I said they were strapped for original material, I didn’t know the half of it. Click the image to watch.

ajmi.jpg

Comments

Reminds me of the “Frog and the Scorpion” fable.

jukin on June 26, 2008 at 12:49 PM

jukin on June 26, 2008 at 12:49 PM

Indeed.

Squid Shark on June 26, 2008 at 12:51 PM

But he was not found guilty beyond a reasonable doubt by a jury of his peers! The gentleman did nothing wrong.

stonemeister on June 26, 2008 at 12:52 PM

But…isn’t this a mere law enforcement problem?

CP on June 26, 2008 at 1:05 PM

I’d laugh (HA-HA) if it weren’t so serious and down right absurd. Just further proof the left-tards have no clue when it comes to the GWOT and how dedicated our enemy is to destroy us and our nation!

Despite several examples of how previous Gitmo detainees went right back to their murdering Jihad after being released SCOTUS decided it was a good idea to give these animals the same rights as American citizens…that right there my HA friends is the definition of absurdity, idiocy, and insanity!

Liberty or Death on June 26, 2008 at 1:05 PM

Liberty or Death on June 26, 2008 at 1:05 PM

Glad it’s not just me thinking the world is going insane.

Anna on June 26, 2008 at 1:08 PM

Thought experiment: Sometime in the first year of the Obama administration, a bloody terrorist attack is perpetrated on American soil, by jihadis eager to get one of those White House invitations Obama has been promising. It turns out that a freed Gitmo detainee was involved in the planning and execution of the attack. This terrorist is re-captured, and promptly demands his full panoply of superior legal rights, refusing to talk to interrogators – who, of course, have no means of coercing him. Meanwhile, the jihadi group issues a communiqué promising further attacks if their demands are not met.

That was Chapter One. You write the rest of the book.

Doctor Zero on June 26, 2008 at 1:10 PM

Does our US Congress, who insist those prisoners at Gitmo be treated like jay walkers, bear some responsibility for all those deaths?

Zorro on June 26, 2008 at 1:12 PM

This is apparently not the first case where a released detainee has turned out to be a terrorist. Clearly, whatever double-super-secret process they have down there in Guantanamo does not work very well. I’d much rather see these guys tried in a US court and, if convicted, locked up in a US prison than the current scenario in which we rely on countries like Saudi Arabia, Kuwait and Yemen to try these guys.

Terrorism is a crime, US courts have worldwide jurisdiction, and it’s time these people were brought to justice in a court of law, tried and locked up for a long time.

factoid on June 26, 2008 at 1:15 PM

I have a complaint about HotAir.

You guys are starting to EXCLUDE links to the outside articles you are talking about (like you did in THIS posting on the terrorist) and only linking INSIDE the HotAir blog. This practice sure keeps your readers inside your own pages, but it does NOTHING to buttress your points or inform your readers more fully.

I despise this practice because it is like the selfish, insular mainstream press websites out there and would like to see you go back to linking to the outside sources that you are discussing.

Warner Todd Huston on June 26, 2008 at 1:22 PM

Click on the picture.

awake on June 26, 2008 at 1:24 PM

Warner Todd Huston on June 26, 2008 at 1:22 PM

oops. Click on the picture.

awake on June 26, 2008 at 1:24 PM

The lawyers who sprung this slime should be forced to pay for the irreparable damage done to the families of the victims; and please, leftists, don’t give us this nonsense, “Hey, he was upset about being tortured at Gitmo!!” So, let’s follow the logic — Americans torture accused jihadi, captured on the battlefield, without a uniform or national allegiance, gets revenge on the satanic Americans by blowing up fellow Muslims?

Wow, who knew?

Richard Romano on June 26, 2008 at 1:41 PM

It’s not gratuitous. Sometimes there’s relevant commentary in those posts, as there is in my post explaining who al-Ajmi is. If you want to go to the external source, you have the option of doing that by clicking the source in the earlier post. Why on earth would I deprive readers of needed context when I went to such effort to compile it before?

Allahpundit on June 26, 2008 at 1:45 PM

factoid on June 26, 2008 at 1:15 PM

That there’s some funny stuff.

hindmost on June 26, 2008 at 1:46 PM

factoid on June 26, 2008 at 1:15 PM

I don’t agree, terrorism stopped being a crime to be treated as a police action once AQ (Osama et al) declared war on the USA both in their statements and especially when they attacked a US war ship (the USS Cole) and attacked us on 9-11, both clearly acts of war not terrorism.

This is a war not a police action and our response to our enemies should be in line with a war doctrine not a police action. Continuing to treat this as a police action is hampering our ability to defeat a determined enemy and I’m getting fed up with our government and the left-tards treating this as a police action.

I’m still waiting for the time when our leaders (especially those on the left) finally wake up before it’s too late and we get hit again, unfortunately I don’t see it happening until something worse than 9-11 happens.

Seriously, what will it take to finally get our government andthe left to treat/view this as war and not a police action, a mushroom cloud over one of our cities where hundreds of thousands or a mllion people die?

Again, continuing to view this as a police action and not a war is the definition of idiocy, absurdity, and insanity!

Liberty or Death on June 26, 2008 at 1:52 PM

Glad it’s not just me thinking the world is going insane.

Anna on June 26, 2008 at 1:08 PM

Nope, you’re not alone Anna and unfortunately the world is getting more insane by the minute. These are difficult and troubling times for our world and it seems the insane asylum inmates have taken over!

Liberty or Death on June 26, 2008 at 2:01 PM

This is not the Abdullah Saleh-al Ajmi that I knew.

Lunkinator on June 26, 2008 at 2:09 PM

That was Chapter One. You write the rest of the book.

Doctor Zero on June 26, 2008 at 1:10 PM

Obama’s DoJ chief (Al Sharpton) throws the terrorist into the hastily set up system of gulags along with the rest of us “distractions.”

Kafir on June 26, 2008 at 2:33 PM

Warner Todd Huston on June 26, 2008 at 1:22 PM

*crickets*

nottakingsides on June 26, 2008 at 2:49 PM

Top ten hits from the Administrative Review Board forAbdullah al-Ajmi at Gitmo:

1. Al Ajmi denied participating in Jihad.

2. Al Ajmi asserted the group he went to study with, is a peaceful group.

3. Al Ajmi stated he went to Pakistan to learn and memorize the Koran.

4. Al Ajmi denied participating in firefights, and he denied admitting he participated in firefights.

5. In response to the allegation that he fled through Tora Bora Al Ajmi said he had never heard of Tora Bora.

6. “I am not an enemy combatant. I said this only because I was under pressure and threats and suffering.”

7. “I don’t blame the Americans for what they did by bringing us over here and detaining us over here. If I were in their place I would go out and look for terrorism all over the world like they did but I have a feeling it is going to be a just decision by the Americans. That is my feeling. I would do the same thing if I were in their shoes. I would capture the bad people, the terrorists and bring them over here and detain them.”

8. In response to the recommendation that Al Ajmi was regarded as a continuing threat to the USA, Al Ajmi replied:
“You are the judge and you are the president. You are everything here. You can do whatever you wish. I never meant harm to anybody. I never attacked anybody. I don’t have a grudge against the Americans. It is up to you. You are the president and you will do whatever you wish.”

9. In response to the allegation that “In August 2004 Al Ajmi wanted to make sure that when the case went in front of the tribunal, that the tribunal members know that he is now a Jihadist, and enemy combatant and that he would kill as many Americans as he possibly can,” Ajmi replied:
“That is impossible that I would say such a thing. How could I fight the Americans? They were with me in the military in Kuwait. I would’ve fought them in Kuwait not here. How can I fight them here? How can I try to kill them here?”

10. Board Member: “Al Ajmi I believe that your dedication to your religion is genuine, what direction or path will that dedication take should you be released?”
Al Ajmi: “For peace.”

Tantor on June 26, 2008 at 3:04 PM

Allahpundit on June 26, 2008 at 1:45 PM

And then there’s google, et al. People are always depending on someone else to do all the work for them.

*kissie kissie*

davidk on June 26, 2008 at 3:16 PM

And the responsible party is the Supreme Court .

Specifically, the majority Supreme Court members who approved of this “pacifistic” trend like their recent habaes corpus rulingshould be called on to resign as a show of humility.

Since their dangerously-unreal assessment of this war has now been proven to spread terror and cost lives.

They’re mentally unconnected with the seriousness of the threat we face daily, and so are unfit to serve.

They have become caricatures.

profitsbeard on June 27, 2008 at 2:32 AM