Video: Non-satirical rebuttal to “Not Alex”

posted at 9:38 am on June 25, 2008 by Ed Morrissey

Last week, MoveOn debuted its first general-election campaign ad, “Not Alex”, in which a young mother told John McCain that he couldn’t have her baby for his 100-year war.  Unfortunately, no one apparently taught math to Alex’s mom, since Alex would be all of nine years old when McCain would leave office.  The military doesn’t draft nine-year-olds; in fact, they don’t draft anyone, and haven’t since the Vietnam War.  Alex would have to choose to enter the military on his own, and do so in the Sarah Palin or Bobby Jindal administration.

Today, Eric Egland’s family offers a straightforward rebuttal to MoveOn.  His wife Ania appears with their two children to thank John McCain for his leadership against terrorism, and speaks about the pride she takes in this country, and in her husband’s service in Iraq and Afghanistan:

Ania grew up in Poland under Communist rule and understands the stakes involved in fighting tyranny and oppression. The snarky messaging of the MoveOn ad, along with its risible reasoning and obvious lack of forethought, pales in comparison to the honesty and warmth of Ania Egland.

By the way, since Obama has rejected public financing over the supposedly dominant Republican efforts to use outside agencies to run attack campaigns, when will we see Obama demanding an end to the “Not Alex” ad?

Comments

In regards to the “Not Alex” ad, Jon Stewart actually came up with a new slogan for MoveOn:

MoveOn.org: 10 years of Making Even People Who Agree with You, Cringe

The video’s up at his site.

amerpundit on June 25, 2008 at 9:41 AM

Well done.

jgapinoy on June 25, 2008 at 9:42 AM

amerpundit

Great line.

jgapinoy on June 25, 2008 at 9:43 AM

Run this nationally.

Dr.Cwac.Cwac on June 25, 2008 at 9:45 AM

US is handing over al Anbar to ISF in the next few days.

Iraq’s coming off the table

Better to focus on socialist taxes and demonstrating which candidate has a history of being a Maverick for change vs which candidate is all sizzle sans steak

scottm on June 25, 2008 at 9:48 AM

Way better ad, and done without lying and manipulating the average misinformed voter.

Erockk on June 25, 2008 at 9:49 AM

But how does this affect Obama’s children?

JammieWearingFool on June 25, 2008 at 9:49 AM

Wonderful!!!! I agree…….run this nationally.

Winebabe on June 25, 2008 at 9:49 AM

That was wonderful – both the family and the message.

Love the accent too. She reminds me of a second cousin of mine (they look and sound very similar). I wonder where in Poland she is from.

Anna on June 25, 2008 at 9:53 AM

She’s obviously raaaaaacist.

Darksean on June 25, 2008 at 9:57 AM

Anna on June 25, 2008 at 9:53 AM

Obama thinks she’s from Germany.

mikeyboss on June 25, 2008 at 9:57 AM

Excellent! She’ll be proud if her kids VOLUNTEER, imagine that.

Somebody who understands tyranny. Hey, wait a minute! ENTEL! Is that YOU???

Tony737 on June 25, 2008 at 9:57 AM

Is it just me, or does Poland produce an abnormal number of fabulous babes? And I’m reading that the Polish are more more pro-American than Americans on the Fourth of July. The special forces guys are saying they’re the 51st state.

Tantor on June 25, 2008 at 9:58 AM

Geesh, she’s gorgeous. Accent’s killer, too.

Vizzini on June 25, 2008 at 9:58 AM

Tantor

The Philippines is like that, too.

jgapinoy on June 25, 2008 at 9:59 AM

MoveOn reportedly shut down their 527. The PAC is still operating.

I don’t know what kind of affect this will have in the running of ads.

Queasy on June 25, 2008 at 9:59 AM

Once again an immigrant needs to show the liberal entitlement babies what it means to be an American! Freedom is worth fighting for, honor and national pride should be cherished. Hopefully her kids can meet up with lil Alex on the school yard.

PatriotPete on June 25, 2008 at 10:02 AM

Well done. It sums up the difference between them and us. We are proud to serve our country. They take from it but won’t defend it, and condescend to those who keep them free and safe.

petefrt on June 25, 2008 at 10:02 AM

Sheer gorgessity. Run it nationally!

tree hugging sister on June 25, 2008 at 10:03 AM

Tantor on June 25, 2008 at 9:58 AM

The Polish are awesome! Of course, I’m biased, being of Polish descent myself (3rd generation maternal, 2nd gen paternal).

It is a little shameful that other countries can like us more than we do, though.

Anna on June 25, 2008 at 10:04 AM

nice

trailortrash on June 25, 2008 at 10:05 AM

Tantor on June 25, 2008 at 9:58 AM

And…..Poland has an awesome president. He disregards global warming and wants to debate Algore on the merits of climate change. They have one of the best post-communism economies in Europe. GDP grew by 6.1% in 2006. The privatization of small and medium state-owned companies and a liberal law on establishing new firms have allowed the development of an aggressive private sector.

And really…..does it get any better than kielbasa, sauerkraut, golomkis, pierogis and beer?

Dr.Cwac.Cwac on June 25, 2008 at 10:06 AM

Hopefully her kids can meet up with lil Alex on the school yard.

PatriotPete on June 25, 2008 at 10:02 AM

…and either mock lil Alex with “Your mommy’s on welfare.” or just kick lil Alex’s ass in general.

Dr.Cwac.Cwac on June 25, 2008 at 10:08 AM

Dr.Cwac.Cwac on June 25, 2008 at 10:06 AM

You would like South Bend, IN on Dyngus Day!

mikeyboss on June 25, 2008 at 10:10 AM

If you notice, Ania is pregnant in the ad. Another display of conservatism…..she’s not afraid to be “punished” with children that she loves.

Dr.Cwac.Cwac on June 25, 2008 at 10:10 AM

Let’s not get ahead of ourselves here. We should stick to the facts at hand and not delve into the realm of fantasy or wishful thinking, especially when dealing with a group like MoveOn.

Buy Danish on June 25, 2008 at 10:13 AM

mikeyboss on June 25, 2008 at 10:10 AM

Try Pulaski Days in Grand Rapids, MI.

To celebrate, listen to Polka every Sunday. One thing I’ve learned (from my Polish wife and her family), you can never be sad listening to Polka. I think that is a testament of the Polish spirit.

POLKA’S ARE ON YOUR RADIO EVERY SUNDAY Noon to 3pm!

Check out the Polka Pops Web Site

Dr.Cwac.Cwac on June 25, 2008 at 10:14 AM

And, of course, being pregnant is a vote of confidence in the future while making war on the production of people through abortions and zero population growth campaigns etc is a vote of pessimism against the future.

Tantor on June 25, 2008 at 10:14 AM

Dr.Cwac.Cwac on June 25, 2008 at 10:14 AM

Polka rocks! And you’re so right, it’s hard to be down listening to such happy music. Too bad it seems to have such a bad rap here in the States… it’s a lot more nuanced than a lot of people think.

This thread is making my day. : )

Anna on June 25, 2008 at 10:16 AM

Anna on June 25, 2008 at 10:16 AM

Weird Al comes to mind! The Polka MASTER!

upinak on June 25, 2008 at 10:18 AM

Run this nationally.

Dr.Cwac.Cwac on June 25, 2008 at 9:45 AM

Absolutely. I’d actually donate money towards that effort.

Yakko77 on June 25, 2008 at 10:19 AM

Egland, conservative(R) CA 4th Congressional District,
GOOD LUCK!
& nice family

maverick muse on June 25, 2008 at 10:19 AM

Our friends of Polish descent–what do you guys think about Pat Buchanan’s views on WW2?

jgapinoy on June 25, 2008 at 10:19 AM

Very nice ad, Moveon.org’s own ad opened the door to setting the record straight, which makes them look so bad.

PS. Good looking out to pump up Jindal or Palin in 2012/2016, that would be my Sexy Sexy dream ticket.

Rbastid on June 25, 2008 at 10:20 AM

that does it, if Obama wins, I’m moving to Poland!

kirkill on June 25, 2008 at 10:20 AM

Awesome and AMEN!

Dpet on June 25, 2008 at 10:21 AM

Anna on June 25, 2008 at 10:16 AM

When my wife and I lived in Jersey back in the late 90s, we would periodically go up to visit my mother-in-law’s family that lives in upstate New York (Rome, to be specific). After attending Catholic mass (of course), the family would meet for Sunday lunch and my wife’s great aunt would turn on Polka. She would dance around while cooking while the men would enjoy a frost cold one. There was nothing like it.

Dr.Cwac.Cwac on June 25, 2008 at 10:26 AM

jgapinoy on June 25, 2008 at 10:19 AM

You’re ruining my good vibe, you know that right?

My family’s village was obliterated in WWII. In the Nat’l Holocaust museum, it’s on the wall of places wiped off the map (Drzewica). My family itself was forever divided, with some escaping here and others never making it out of Poland alive. My grandfather’s parents had survivor’s guilt that they passed on to all of us in one form or another. My children all carry on my maiden name in rememberance of those that died in one of the most horrific ways possible.

Does that answer your question?

Anna on June 25, 2008 at 10:29 AM

that other countries can like us more than we do, though.
Anna on June 25, 2008 at 10:04 AM

The guilty overcompensate while the victims suffer poor self image imposed over generations from invading abusers.

You know your heritage is noble, and that Poland’s virtues are not dead, buried and lost. Poland’s rich traditions blessed the 20th Century with one of the greatest Popes ever. God’s speed with your liberty now during your country’s renaissance. America is grateful to have an ally in Poland today.

maverick muse on June 25, 2008 at 10:29 AM

Dr.Cwac.Cwac on June 25, 2008 at 10:26 AM

I danced in Polka competitions as a little girl (winning quite a few ribbons and awards), always in ethnic dress. I have fond memories, but I’m glad the internet was not around back then. : )

Anna on June 25, 2008 at 10:31 AM

jgapinoy on June 25, 2008 at 10:19 AM

He’s an isolationist tool. What proved to me that he is irrelevant is when he started to work at MS-NBC (MS-LSD, for you Levinites!).

Dr.Cwac.Cwac on June 25, 2008 at 10:32 AM

I’d like to apologize for hijacking the thread. I didn’t realize how much I’d posted!

Anna on June 25, 2008 at 10:32 AM

About my ancestral town, it has made a comeback. Here’s an English-language wiki stub.

Anna on June 25, 2008 at 10:35 AM

Anna on June 25, 2008 at 10:31 AM

I was just remembering my wedding reception. We had a DJ that played the regular reception music, but there was a request, dare I say DEMAND, for Polka. When the DJ started playing the Polka, all the old Polocks (yes, I use the term affectionately!) in my mother-in-law’s family that had traveled from upstate New York to Michigan, many in their 60s, 70s and 80s, flooded the dance floor. It was amazing.

Dr.Cwac.Cwac on June 25, 2008 at 10:36 AM

Buchanan is a clown. Thank God nobody cares what he thinks anymore. He is a throwback to the old John Birch Society/Liberty Lobby days which ended a long time ago.

Second generation Polish-American here. My grandfather and his brother came over in 1904. They had relatives who were lost in the Holocaust and others who died serving in the Polish Army.

rockmom on June 25, 2008 at 10:42 AM

Dr.Cwac.Cwac on June 25, 2008 at 10:36 AM

Y’all did an apron dance, right? That was the only Polka I got, and it was great fun to see our intoxicated friends try to keep up with me.

Btw, I totally use Polock too.

Anna on June 25, 2008 at 10:43 AM

McCain should use this as a national ad. That was awesome!

jencab on June 25, 2008 at 10:43 AM

Fantastic comeback to the MoveOn display of (continuing) willful ignorance.

The MoveOn ad is pure emotional appeal, which requires the suspension of rational, critical thought to have any effect – it also strikes me as a bit of liberal fascist projection on their part – particularly the bit about how McCain can’t ‘have’ Alex – which fits in with the inevitable result of their desired outcome – a socialist system with a strong leader, under which the rights of the individual are subsumed by the State, at the direction of a strong central leader, and his (or her) cult of personality.

Which further spotlights ignorance and the lack of critical thought that adherents/followers of this line of drivel display regularly – that they can be suckered by the fear of the end result their shortsighted wants and infantile ‘but EVERYONE should have a pony, if they want one, with ice cream at every meal’ idealism, only they buy into the con that the purveyors of such evil have NOT most often risen to power via the same path that they’re busy paving, but rather it will come from those trying to prevent it.

Amazing. Absolutely amazing.

Then again, probably the same sort of folks that perpetrated the various Polish stereotypes (although don’t you dare call them bigots or racist!) – utterly, and totally pwn3d by a “Polack” that’s demonstrably smarter than the lot of them, probably even on her off days.

Great job, Ania! Proud and glad to call you a fellow American!

Wind Rider on June 25, 2008 at 10:48 AM

about TIME, Tears In My Eyes.

tmitsss on June 25, 2008 at 10:59 AM

This rebuttal video is beautiful…send it to your contacts, who will send it to their contacts, and so on and so on. Fight the big bucks moveons with with a conservative grassroots blast of common sense.

deedledee on June 25, 2008 at 11:02 AM

I feel so sorry for little Alex. That poor kid will never live down the “Mamma’s Boy” image pasted on him by Moveon.nuts.

Bicyea on June 25, 2008 at 11:10 AM

Real woman FTW.

thareb on June 25, 2008 at 11:18 AM

Because only Spartan Women give birth to real Men.

Speakup on June 25, 2008 at 11:24 AM

Second gen Pole, my dad spent 5 years in a Nazi concentration camp and weighed 75 lbs when liberated. Came here in 1947. And yes, Polish girls are hot.

However, I cringe when the term ‘Polock’ is used–even affectionately. I’ve been called that way too many times growing up to feel differently.

CUS on June 25, 2008 at 11:27 AM

CUS on June 25, 2008 at 11:27 AM

I think that’s valid too. I grew up the butt of a thousand Polish jokes. I embraced them because I knew how patently false they were (and that’s what made them funny to me). I promise not to use it on this forum, though.

There are a lot of us here, that’s pretty cool.

Anna on June 25, 2008 at 11:33 AM

Fighting for your nation is not an act of exceptional heroism, it is a duty. End of story. This dance around the draft is really sad and the fact that conservatives feel the need to come up with a teary-eyed rationale for national defense is even worse.

GermanAtheist on June 25, 2008 at 11:35 AM

maverick muse on June 25, 2008 at 10:19 AM

He lost the 4th District’s Republican Primary (by a pretty wide margin) to Tom McClintock, a State Senator and the third place finisher in that ridionkulous 2003 recall election. The primary was June 3rd. Don’t worry, McClintock’s a good guy too.

malan89 on June 25, 2008 at 11:42 AM

Let’s hear it for Poland!

Two words: Jan Sobieski.

DrSteve on June 25, 2008 at 11:57 AM

Talk about the moral high ground credentials. Lived under communist rule and has a personal understanding of how valuable freedom is. Compared to an ideologue who won’t fight for anything worth fighting for.

And for those keeping count at home, another conservative babe vs. a liberal homely.

Mallard T. Drake on June 25, 2008 at 11:58 AM

Volunteer.

Volunteer.

Volunteer.

Get it, lefties? Our nation has an all-volunteer armed forces. That is, unless Charlie Rangel has his way.

madmonkphotog on June 25, 2008 at 12:01 PM

Dr. Cwac Cwac,
Poland is an awesome country; afterall, it gave us Pope John Paul II. However, you have their president confused with the Czech Republic (another awesome country!). It is the Czech President Vaclav Klaus who has called algore a fraud and wants to debate him, and has called global warming a new religion.

Special K on June 25, 2008 at 12:16 PM

good but still not the Home Run response needed or possible:

Mom & Dad (either or both in service) sitting with babies, saying to Obama something to the effect of, “Senator Obama, you said you think Iran is a tiny country and no threat to American or allied security. You also dont think that the Iranian Revolutionary guards killing allied troops in Iraq should be designated as terrorists. You also said you would meet without condition with the leaders of Iran, who want Israel wiped off the face of the earth and who are the #1 funder and sponsor of ME terror attacks on Americans and other western targets.

These are our kids, Senator. If youre elected President this year, they’ll be growing up right about the time Iran uses the bomb you let them build

If you dont care to do anything about that, and want to negotiate with terrorists instead of challenging them, there is a candidate in this race who will.

You want our kids to grow up in the shadow of the Islamic Nukes. But we wont let you, Senator.

Or words to that effect.

Mike D. on June 25, 2008 at 12:45 PM

Dr.Cwac.Cwac on June 25, 2008 at 10:06 AM

Nie, nie ma nic lepszego. (No, there’s nothing better.)

The dance allegedly originated in Bohemia, but all the Polka music I’ve ever heard was Polish. I lived in upstate NY during my childhood. One of the local radio stations even had a Polka show on Sundays.

Poland is an awesome country; afterall, it gave us Pope John Paul II.

Along with Kazimierz Funk, who discovered vitamins, Marja Sklodowska (a.k.a Marie Curie), Kazimierz Pulaski, Tadeusz Kosciuszko, Mikolaj Kopernik (a.k.a. Nicholas Copernicus), and through his mother, Frederick Chopin. (No wonder Chopin composed several pieces called “Polonaise”.) And by ancestry, we can add Carl Yastrzemski, Aloysius Szymanski (a.k.a. Al Simmons), Ron Jaworski, etc.

Let’s hear it for Poland!

Two words: Jan Sobieski.

The legendary Scottish prince known as Bonnie Prince Charlie was his great-grandson.

I grew up the butt of a thousand Polish jokes.

I had to deal with these, too. Now, they’re being recycled as blonde jokes.

Btw, I totally use Polock too.

So do I, mainly in referring to myself, but I’d rather spell it correctly, as in “Polak”. This is the normal term for “Pole” in the Polish language, but is used as a slur in English. So instead of “Polocks” as the plural, I’d suggest using the Polish plural, “Polacy” (po-LAHT-see).

Wielka Stopa (a.k.a. Bigfoot)

Bigfoot on June 25, 2008 at 12:50 PM

Bigfoot on June 25, 2008 at 12:50 PM

I stand corrected. I’ve never really spelled it before, so I went with the Dr.’s lead. Your post makes me wish I remembered more Polish… it’s been corrupted by age and my Russian studies.

Anna on June 25, 2008 at 12:57 PM

Special K on June 25, 2008 at 12:16 PM

Oops. My bad!

Dr.Cwac.Cwac on June 25, 2008 at 1:02 PM

Wielka Stopa (a.k.a. Bigfoot)

Bigfoot on June 25, 2008 at 12:50 PM

Sorry about the spelling. I guess that’s what I get for seeing this.

Dr.Cwac.Cwac on June 25, 2008 at 1:05 PM

You’ve got to hand it to Poland, downtrodden during the Nazi and Soviet years. They also gave the world Pope John Paul II.

Steve Z on June 25, 2008 at 1:07 PM

Sorry about the spelling. I guess that’s what I get for seeing this.

Dr.Cwac.Cwac on June 25, 2008 at 1:05 PM

One of the very few reasons I’ll venture into B’more. Heck, I might even ride a bus to get there. You from that area?

Anna on June 25, 2008 at 1:29 PM

Downtrodden isn’t half of it. When I was in Poland for my dad’s funeral, we were talking to his ‘cousin’ (close friend from growing up). We asked if he ever wanted to come to America. At first he said no. Then, he changed his mind “Yes, but only to piss on Truman’s grave”.

Poles will never forget life under Hitler’s and Stalin’s boot.

CUS on June 25, 2008 at 1:34 PM

Right on,now get the RNC to run it as an
election ad!

canopfor on June 25, 2008 at 2:23 PM

Awesome!

Palin/Jindal 08!

Grafted on June 25, 2008 at 2:54 PM

:}

Chakra Hammer on June 25, 2008 at 3:10 PM

Tantor on June 25, 2008 at 9:58 AM

Not surprised there. One Navy Executive Officer at one of the ships my husband used to keep as a Port Engineer spent a year abroad in Warsaw as a student and witnessed the final liberation of Poland from the Soviets.

Oh, BTW: he married a girl from Warsaw, an English teacher. They have two children. She is so pro-American, you probably will not catch her dead with any member of ANSWER… or even with anyone from MoveOn.org.

She’d be spitting at the dumb blonde in that “Not my Alex” ad right now.

newton on June 25, 2008 at 3:39 PM

Dr.Cwac.Cwac on June 25, 2008 at 1:05 PM

I’ve actually heard of Polock Johnny’s before. Hot dog and sausage place in Baltimore, I think. Unfortunately, the page gives me a Network Error.

While “Polak” is the correct Polish spelling, I’ve seen other spellings used in English.

Bigfoot on June 25, 2008 at 4:55 PM

when will we see Obama demanding an end to the “Not Alex” ad?

Never! change remember?

TroubledMonkey on June 25, 2008 at 4:57 PM

Two words: Jan Sobieski.

DrSteve on June 25, 2008 at 11:57 AM

Most of his troops at Vienna were Germans. His battle plan was devised by the Duke of Lorraine. He had previously lost the Second Polish-Ottoman war because he did not dare to attack the Ottoman main force when they conquered Polish land in the Ukraine.

The Islamic Empires were wrecked by Habsburg, Russia, Britain and France, not Poland or the United States.

GermanAtheist on June 25, 2008 at 5:26 PM

The Philippines is like that, too.

jgapinoy on June 25, 2008 at 9:59 AM

I’ve never SEEN so many beautiful women as what I saw on my many trips to the Philippines.

My collie says:

You wouldn’t be biased, would you, CC?

CyberCipher on June 25, 2008 at 5:28 PM

I just read something that places the “more money from those under $200″ meme. Donations of $200 or less do not have to be reported.

I only hope this information will be released at an appropriate time.

davod on June 25, 2008 at 7:16 PM

John McCain came out strongly against the Military Draft yesterday at a town hall meeting in response to a question from the audience.

Obama has still not indicated how he feels on mandated national service (read Slavery). His pals Charlie Rangel and Jesse Jackson both strongly support the Draft. So, one could guess at this point, he’s on the side of the Slavery supporters.

ericdondero on June 26, 2008 at 8:42 AM