Rapper chants “Obama or Die” at the BET Awards Update: Video added

posted at 10:48 am on June 25, 2008 by Ed Morrissey

Sean “Diddy” Combs led the way for the BET Awards to become a Barack Obama rally by reprising and amending his 2004 motto.  Instead of “Vote or Die”, Combs chanted “Obama or Die”, as other entertainers also took turns issuing endorsements for Obama in the upcoming presidential race — albeit in slightly less existential terms (via Jim Geraghty):

“If we all register and vote, we will have the first black president in the history of America,” Sean “Diddy” Combs told the crowd Tuesday at the Shrine Auditorium before chanting “Obama or Die” – a declarative remix of his neutral “Vote or Die” motto from the 2004 presidential election, when he attempted to boost the youth vote.

Uh, excuse me?  “Obama or Die”?  That can be taken in two different ways.  The first is that “Diddy” thinks that a loss by Obama would mean the death of African-Americans in the US, or alternately, that Diddy plans on killing people if Obama doesn’t win.  Either way, it’s more than a little extreme, and a great example of how the Messiah complex has really taken root among Obama’s base.

As always, the fine folks at South Park anticipated this all the way back to the 2004 cycle.  This is definitely not safe for work, but it’s hilarious.  And for those who feel less than thrilled about the choices they have in November, the intro is not to be missed:

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2

Google and Microsoft are a lie, right?

Who is living a fantasy?

alphie on June 25, 2008 at 1:34 PM

Don Imus asked for a comment, “What color is he?”

Dr.Cwac.Cwac on June 25, 2008 at 1:35 PM

I guess we are going to enter the dark ages here in America after the next election.

Each and every time Obama is questioned the race card will appear mark my words. I still hold out HOPE he wont pull it off but not counting on it.

I would rather DIE than vote for Obama.

We will in the end get what we deserve as a nation. Every time we come to this crossroads we elect the worst person to guide us. History is in the process of being repeated.

TroubledMonkey on June 25, 2008 at 1:37 PM

RE: the South Park clip

I did not know there was such a thing as a .38 caliber semi-automatic handgun…

pseudonominus on June 25, 2008 at 1:37 PM

Who is living a fantasy?

alphie on June 25, 2008 at 1:34 PM

I’ve already proven you a liar. put up or shut up.

right4life on June 25, 2008 at 1:38 PM

The 1984 GDP growth was fueled by Reagan’s massive government spending increase,

alphie on June 25, 2008 at 1:27 PM

so tell me alphie boy, since you say Reagan’s economic growth was fueled by ‘massive government spending increase’ then why don’t we have the best economy now in the history of the republic? since bush has increased spending more than any other president? hmmmmmm???

this should be good…

right4life on June 25, 2008 at 1:40 PM

Look here to see Reagan’s phony economic growth was done by government spending, right:

We’re still paying off his excess.

alphie on June 25, 2008 at 1:40 PM

as far as reagan spending…

Now, it is true that a sizable portion of this discretionary spending goes toward national defense. Bush will have overseen a 21 percent increase for national defense — pretty much equal to Reagan. However, the major difference between the two men is discretionary spending not related to national defense. Whereas Reagan was able to reduce non-defense discretionary outlays by 14 percent, Bush will have overseen a rise of 18 percent — a whopping 32 percent difference between the two men.

link

so why don’t we have a better economy now, since you say the growth in reagan’s time was fueled by his spending?? hmmmm???

right4life on June 25, 2008 at 1:43 PM

I vote the latter.

drjohn on June 25, 2008 at 1:47 PM

no answers huh?? no surprise…quick get your DNC talking points..ie lies…

Non-Defense Spending Growth Was Lowest Under the Reagan Administration
The last four Administrations all increased federal non-defense spending. Although Ronald Reagan allowed spending to increase slightly, compared to other recent Administrations, he was the most restrained.

link

so why isn’t the economy better under bush since he spends more than even Klinton??

right4life on June 25, 2008 at 1:48 PM

Wasn’t alphie banned? Or am I mixing that up with the 5 or 6 other blogs I read?

DrSteve on June 25, 2008 at 1:49 PM

I still have trouble believing that BET exists. When I figure that one out, then I’ll get around to the stupidity of P. Diddlyduddlydoo.

Maybe he means that if they don’t vote, they should die themselves. Two birds, one stone: reduces idiocy and carbon dioxide.

Anna on June 25, 2008 at 1:50 PM

alphie, clinton’s economic growth was driven by the hi-tech revolution (and bubble), growth in pdtv and the loose Fed monetary policy which fueled the housing bubble we are facing now. clinton had nothing to do with any of these.

if you knew any economics you would know that.

aso on June 25, 2008 at 1:50 PM

Does he maybe mean “die” in the the transitive sense?

Akzed on June 25, 2008 at 1:52 PM

Hahahahahahaha.

I like it when the chick in the yellow dress said “seriously.”

Hahahahahahaha.

“If we all register and vote…”

Why the hell aren’t they already registered?

The BET awards sure do provide entertainment. Did they invent some category for Obama to win?

Ya, Republicans are racist. Bwahahahahahahahaha!

reaganaut on June 25, 2008 at 1:53 PM

Umm, no. Not going there, not my style.

Gilda on June 25, 2008 at 1:23 PM

Fair enough, but Obama or Die??

Chacun à son goût.

JiangxiDad on June 25, 2008 at 1:55 PM

Alphie, I refuse to believe a site that has “Carbonomics” as term. I also noticed that there were many fine quotes from the Bush administration up top, where they had “fact” underneath it. I’ll stop there, I feel like I’m at the zoo feeding a troll.

Torch on June 25, 2008 at 1:58 PM

I’ll stop there, I feel like I’m at the zoo feeding a troll.

I think its funny that alphie boy can’t answer my question…but independent thinking is not a trait of the left.

right4life on June 25, 2008 at 1:59 PM

Real conservatives see defense spending for what it is, right:

Welfare payments to rural and southern America.

alphie on June 25, 2008 at 2:01 PM

alphie on June 25, 2008 at 2:01 PM

still waiting for the DNC talking points I see…

try econ 101…laughable

oh yeah how is your buddy Ahmadinajad doing this morning??

right4life on June 25, 2008 at 2:05 PM

Fair enough, but Obama or Die??

Chacun à son goût.

JiangxiDad on June 25, 2008 at 1:55 PM

Yeah I know it’s hard to find a line that hasn’t already been crossed by the other side. But Godwin’s Law and all.

Gilda on June 25, 2008 at 2:06 PM

Real conservatives see defense spending for what it is, right:

Welfare payments to rural and southern America.

alphie on June 25, 2008 at 2:01 PM

Do you have a single fact at your disposal?

By the way, if you care so much about the debt, then you should approve of drilling for oil domestically so the billions of dollars that are generated can stay in the U.S.A.

Buy Danish on June 25, 2008 at 2:10 PM

Real conservatives see defense spending for what it is, right:

Welfare payments to rural and southern America.

alphie on June 25, 2008 at 2:01 PM

No idiot, conservatives see defense spending for what it really is: Defending our country and our way of life. Only an idiot liberal sees it as welfare of any sort, but I gave up expecting intellegence from you a while back.

Dawnsblood on June 25, 2008 at 2:11 PM

Buy Danish on June 25, 2008 at 2:10 PM

Here’s another biscuit for the troll. You and I both know, Buy, that the point you made doesn’t fit with alphie’s DU talking points. Alphie doesn’t have the facts, just how he/she “feels.”

Torch on June 25, 2008 at 2:14 PM

But Godwin’s Law and all.

Gilda on June 25, 2008 at 2:06 PM

That’s true. It was just so damn funny.

Guess Hippotus-Hoppitus Liberare is out too. :)

JiangxiDad on June 25, 2008 at 2:24 PM

RE: the South Park clip

I did not know there was such a thing as a .38 caliber semi-automatic handgun…

pseudonominus on June 25, 2008 at 1:37 PM

What do you think James Bond used?

Walther PPK

9x17mm Short (.380 ACP)

Chakra Hammer on June 25, 2008 at 2:30 PM

Yawn! like this even surprises me. Its just the inevitable slide that koolaid drinkers slip down on their way to a self induced labotomy.

bigskinny on June 25, 2008 at 2:32 PM

Don’t worry, we will get them back at the WET awards! Oh yeah, White Entertainment Television does not exist because that is racist.

carbon_footprint on June 25, 2008 at 2:36 PM

I bet our Miss White America is….wait never mind. Does not exist…

carbon_footprint on June 25, 2008 at 2:36 PM

Basically 9mm

Chakra Hammer on June 25, 2008 at 2:46 PM

A certain demographic-ro-remain-nameless will be rioting after the elction anyway, whether Obama wins or (especially) loses.

Puffy can just get lost in the crowd and have his way.

Grafted on June 25, 2008 at 2:48 PM

I did not know there was such a thing as a .38 caliber semi-automatic handgun…

pseudonominus on June 25, 2008 at 1:37 PM

Rare, but…

bernzright777 on June 25, 2008 at 2:57 PM

Real conservatives see defense spending for what it is, right:

Welfare payments to rural and southern America.

alphie on June 25, 2008 at 2:01 PM

Dear Alphie:

As a southern but not a rural American, could you please explain this to me; because for the life of me I don’t know if you are serious, or if a fellow American is really this tacky?

Thanks!

p.s. I had no idea Honolulu (Hawaii Sen. Akaka-D – took office in 1990) and (Hawaii Sen. Inouye took office in 1963) & was rural or Southern. Ditto San Diego (CA – don’t even get me started on Dianne “Plunder the Treasury, Hubby” Feinstein).

Thanks.

Branch Rickey on June 25, 2008 at 3:12 PM

Emblematic

LimeyGeek on June 25, 2008 at 3:13 PM

9×17mm Short (.380 ACP)

No…cartoon Puffie obviously meant “.38 Special”…Though I doubt they would even know that. What’s big now in da hood is the 9 millie and the foh-tay.

(I’d rather talk firearms than feed troll Alphie)

pseudonominus on June 25, 2008 at 3:20 PM

Here’s a firearm story you can discuss, psedo:

Another terrorist attack on American soil…brought o you by the NRA!

alphie on June 25, 2008 at 3:29 PM

Another terrorist attack on American soil…brought o you by the NRA!

alphie on June 25, 2008 at 3:29 PM

You lose a few IQ points with every post like this. Um, did I miss Wayne La Pierre’s involvement in 9/11 or was that just lame “Daily Show” humor?

Branch Rickey on June 25, 2008 at 3:36 PM

brought o you by the NRA!

alphie on June 25, 2008 at 3:29 PM

He was an NRA member?
how do you even know that he owned the gun legally?

Chakra Hammer on June 25, 2008 at 3:36 PM

Another terrorist attack on American soil…brought o you by the NRA!

alphie on June 25, 2008 at 3:29 PM

What on earth are you blithering on about?

LimeyGeek on June 25, 2008 at 3:41 PM

Alphie-troll, are you that brain-dead to actually believe what you post? Show me, in the article, where it said he was a member of the NRA. Show me, in the article, where it said he was part of a terrorist cell. My God, are you that stupid? Wait, don’t answer that, you might hurt the one brain cell you have left.

Oh, wait, I see what this is, you’re here to see if you can get one of us to really flame you so you can go back to DU and tell all your buddies that conservatives are mean and nasty to anyone who posts a viewpoint other than theirs. I guess I qualify then with the brain-dead statement. Oh well, I stand by that. Crap, gotta keep from feeding this troll so many biscuits. I just can’t help myself though!

Torch on June 25, 2008 at 4:01 PM

Ted Kennedy’s car has killed more people than any of my 18 firearms.

pseudonominus on June 25, 2008 at 4:07 PM

(I’d rather talk firearms than feed troll Alphie)

Amen to that, brutha!

bernzright777 on June 25, 2008 at 4:08 PM

So has Laura Bush’s car, pseudo.

alphie on June 25, 2008 at 4:12 PM

People were much more respectful and showed manners back in the day before all this gun control crap because no one actually knew if you were armed or not.

Discuss…

oh, leave alphie alone. A parrot does not understand what it says, it just repeats what it is told.

Sammy316 on June 25, 2008 at 4:30 PM

alphie on June 25, 2008 at 4:12 PM

First Lady Bush’s accident took place without alcohol and running a stop sign. Ted Kennedy drove his car off a bridge and disappeared while Mary Jo was drowning, and it’s likely that had Kennedy been a man, she may have survived. Don’t tarnish the name of a respectable lady by associating her in any way with Kennedy.

And, by the by, assume all guns are outlawed: the guy who committed murder would still find a gun. Why? Because he’s willing to kill – why bother with pesky firearm restrictions? Criminals, by definition, commit crimes.

A blissfully wonderful demonstration of the misplaced liberal faith in bureaucracy.

emailnuevo on June 25, 2008 at 4:50 PM

That should read: “took place without alcohol; she ran a stop sign.”

While I’m not positive Kennedy was drunk, I think most people would agree to his, er, probable inebriation.

emailnuevo on June 25, 2008 at 4:51 PM

Real conservatives see defense spending for what it is, right:

Welfare payments to rural and southern America.

I hope your plane crashes.

mymanpotsandpans on June 25, 2008 at 4:59 PM

If Obama is elected, what effect will that have on the race industry (and all its manifestations)?

uptight on June 25, 2008 at 5:09 PM

Dang! I’m all out of troll feed…anyone got some?

pseudonominus on June 25, 2008 at 5:09 PM

Dang! I’m all out of troll feed…anyone got some?

pseudonominus on June 25, 2008 at 5:09 PM

I am out as well, and I don’t want anymore. The troll just keeps coming back for more.

Torch on June 25, 2008 at 5:13 PM

The reason I ask, is because the haughty position of everyone from P Diddy to Jeremiah Wright to Farakhan to Sharpton to the ACLU rests on an assumption that America is racist.

If Obama is elected president, it pulls the rug from under all of them.

Or does it not?

uptight on June 25, 2008 at 5:18 PM

To me, this sounds like a call to arms . . . watch your backs people.

rplat on June 25, 2008 at 11:24 AM

But rplat, puffydink can’t be calling his fellow ghetto rappers to arms, they live in the cities – like Chicago, D.C. and New York – where ownership of handguns is illegal!

How could they possibly have guns?

Jaibones on June 25, 2008 at 6:23 PM

FACT: Clinton’s DOJ antitrust lawsuit all but destroyed Microsoft’s immense shareholder value by the end of 1999. Their competitive edge dulled when product development cycles increased due to constant legal concerns. Almost ten years later the company’s stock price still hasn’t recovered.

FACT: Google’s rise to power was during Bush 43. The meteoric growth of Google was aided by consumer/industry spending brought on by tax cuts and a lessening of Clinton-era broadband provider regulations such as the Telecommunications Act of 1996.

FACT: This comment thread is attempting to be hijacked by an Obama supporter that wants to deflect his candidate’s obvious problems with attracting very extreme and very public radical hypocrites.

ScottMcC on June 25, 2008 at 6:30 PM

That can be taken in two different ways. The first is that “Diddy” thinks that a loss by Obama would mean the death of African-Americans in the US, or alternately, that Diddy plans on killing people if Obama doesn’t win.

It didn’t mean either of those.

This is a matter of life or death. This election is life or death, which is why Citizen Change has come up with our campaign slogan ‘Vote Or Die’,” added Diddy.

This was Diddy’s justification for his Vote or Die slogan. He obviously wasn’t saying that people should be killed if they don’t vote. It’s equally obvious that he didn’t mean people should be killed if they don’t vote for Obama.

crr6 on June 25, 2008 at 8:12 PM

Ted Kennedy’s car has killed more people than any of my 18 firearms.

pseudonominus on June 25, 2008 at 4:07 PM

I’m jealous, I only have three. Layered defense.

jerrytbg on June 25, 2008 at 8:25 PM

Uh, Piddly isn’t literally threatening to murder 50+ million McCain voters. Its just a slogan.

aengus on June 25, 2008 at 8:33 PM

aengus on June 25, 2008 at 8:33 PM

But it’s more fun to pretend otherwise.

Nonfactor on June 25, 2008 at 8:53 PM

Obama ’08: Vote for me, or I’ll kill you!

ZK on June 25, 2008 at 9:19 PM

uptight,
“If Obama is elected president, it pulls the rug from under all of them.”

Of course not. The advances of blacks, Asians, Hispanics in the last 40 years, the basic equality of opportunity for people of any color/ethnicity if they come from similar backgrounds with similar educations, has not “pulled the rug” out. WHy do you think Obama’s election would? There is too much at stake for much of the minority leadership and DEmocratic leadership for them to give up on their underpinnings of “racist America.”

exhelodrvr on June 25, 2008 at 10:20 PM

The likes of P.Diddy amaze me.

His friend, Biggie Smalls, actually DID die….because he was murdered.

So did Tupac Shakur.

And yet, he so cavalierly throws around the word “die”.

You’d think Diddy of all people wouldn’t buy into the gangster culture, and recognize that reality, and this death and misogynistic glorifying “thug” life, are wholly incompatible.

And yet here we are.

Are “Vote or die” and “Obama or die” really that catchy? Are they really worth using?

I guess so.

Hawkins1701 on June 26, 2008 at 2:14 AM

Oh, and this is exhibit 1,000,003 that this election, to the majority of the black populace, is about nothing more than race.

Really wish I was wrong, but I am waiting to be proven so.

And it will never happen.

I heard Rush say a few weeks ago, that it doesn’t matter how damaging Democrat policies are to the black community. The majority will still vote Democrat, no matter what. Black policies have wreaked wholesale destruction on African-American families since the Great Society, but the Democrats still carry them wholesale in elections.

It’s truly sad, and unfortunate.

Hawkins1701 on June 26, 2008 at 2:23 AM

Sorry, meant DEMOCRAT policies.

Hawkins1701 on June 26, 2008 at 2:23 AM

Tell me how my a** tastes P.Diddy.

myamphibian on June 26, 2008 at 6:32 AM

Alphie escape from the potting shed again?

lizzee on June 26, 2008 at 8:26 AM

Diddy would be really impressive if he actually made a song telling all the young kids to vote, you know, in a cool way. Would be even groovier if he didn’t tell everyone to vote a certain way, too. That would be some mad props.

Seixon on June 26, 2008 at 9:03 AM

heh..

this is the first time I heard from Puffy since the last election..

the 3-4 years inbetween.. nothing..

he has to sell out somehow to get his name back in the papers..

Puffy = A beta male doing his best alpha male impression..

DaveC on June 26, 2008 at 9:10 AM

I know that seanjohn is diddy now but he will always be puffy to me..

Stay Puffy, Seanny..

DaveC on June 26, 2008 at 9:11 AM

Blank or Die* comes from the slang for being fully committed to something despite any personal consequences. (ie I’ll vote for Obama even if it kills me)

All the scary black folks know this, so all you frightened race-baiting idiots can relax. No one’s coming to get you.

*it’s an updated/more emphatic version of “California or Bust” from the gold rush.

mofo on June 26, 2008 at 9:41 AM

mofo on June 26, 2008 at 9:41 AM

So.. I can unlock the door in my white suburbanite home now? I’m so relieved.. /sarc off

we knew that clown.. it’s fun to ridicule puffy trying to act impotant.. important.. whatever..

Puffy is a hack and an @$$ clown..

DaveC on June 26, 2008 at 10:55 AM

it’s fun to ridicule puffy trying to act impotant.. important.. whatever..

Why are you mocking southern accents? Combs is from New York.

mofo on June 26, 2008 at 4:07 PM

The troll just keeps coming back for more.

Isn’t that just like a lib, they get something for nothing and all they think of is, “I should get more”. At someone else’s expense, of course.

oldleprechaun on June 26, 2008 at 7:36 PM

Yes, let’s vote in the candidate from the same party that ushered in The Great Society… but this time we’ll add a supercharger and nitrous too; no more slow plodding… Marxism here we come at full throttle!

I’m so delighted at the prospect of even more redistribution of wealth from those that earned it to those that did not.

Who said you couldn’t put out a fire with gasoline?

electric-rascal on June 26, 2008 at 11:29 PM

Martin Luther King, Jr. died for a helluva lot better than this.

P.Diddly is just a mock-pimp looking for the usual perks.

And Obama comes off like a roadshow scarecrow from THE WIZ.

(Even Jesse Jackson starts to seem moderate and mature in comparison to the Tyro Messiah.)

profitsbeard on June 27, 2008 at 2:50 AM