New campaign ad: I’ve worked side by side with Barack Obama, says … Republican senator

posted at 7:30 pm on June 24, 2008 by Allahpundit

Marc Ambinder says he’s never seen an ad like it but is it really that surprising? Gordon Smith’s famously anti-war and the only Republican currently holding statewide office in Oregon. (Yes, Ted Kulongoski, also mentioned in the ad, is a Democrat too.) A blue tide in Congress this year is a given, Obama won the state primary by 18 points over Hillary, and he’s already up three against McCain in the latest Survey USA poll. If you’re going to bet, this is the way to go. And even if he bets wrong and Maverick pulls an upset, what’s the GOP going to do, ostracize him? They need every congressional vote they can get.

I could have done without the Green-Party-ish logo, though. Oof.

Update: Does this mean Obama’s endorsing Smith for senate? Nope.

Comments

Blah

JeffreyLloyd on June 24, 2008 at 7:35 PM

I’m an Oregonian. My senator, Gordon Smith, is an ass.

Scribbler on June 24, 2008 at 7:35 PM

So he’s Hoping to ride Obama’s coat tails to get re-elected?

PappaMac on June 24, 2008 at 7:38 PM

If McCain pulls an upset in Oregon, then Obama will win 3 states only. Never.

Gordon Smith has always struck me to be efeminate.

Entelechy on June 24, 2008 at 7:39 PM

And this guy doesn’t even get the support of Obama…thanks for the endorsement, now get back under the bus…

right2bright on June 24, 2008 at 7:40 PM

Effeminate, that is.

Entelechy on June 24, 2008 at 7:40 PM

Mike Duncan runs a hell of a ship.

Limerick on June 24, 2008 at 7:40 PM

They need every congressional vote they can get.

But obviously this guy isn’t going to provide the votes they need. And they’re so far away from a majority, what’s one more?

apollyonbob on June 24, 2008 at 7:40 PM

My state, NY, has been one party for a long time. The democrats and republicans are democrats. Most of New England is like that. No real surprise that Oregon is too.

Isn’t it to be expected that the representatives conform to the colors? As more states become one party, the united part of our name weakens. Isn’t that where we’re headed?

JiangxiDad on June 24, 2008 at 7:48 PM

It’s sad. Oregon, like California and Washington, has a high concentration of spaz libs along the coast and normal, hardworking Joes most everywhere else. Eastern Oregon is a great place to visit. Potland, not so much.
These RINOS have got to go. Can’t we just start over?

NTWR on June 24, 2008 at 7:52 PM

These RINOS have got to go. Can’t we just start over?

NTWR on June 24, 2008 at

Nope, we can’t. We’re running one as a Presidential Candidate. Instead, in the interest of truth in advertising, we should replace the elephant, with the Rhino, as the symbol.

Snake307 on June 24, 2008 at 7:57 PM

Meh, I’ll vote for him, at least he’s better than-ah-uhm-ah-ah-uhm… Ron Wyden, everytime he speaks I want to slap him. Worst orator ever!

Titus Flavius on June 24, 2008 at 8:03 PM

Kind of Mavericky of him…

Rhinoboy on June 24, 2008 at 8:09 PM

I’m an Oregonian. My senator, Gordon Smith, is an takes it in the ass.

Sorry, it was just begging to be done!

Scribbler on June 24, 2008 at 7:35 PM

dmann on June 24, 2008 at 8:17 PM

These RINOS have got to go. Can’t we just start over?

NTWR on June 24, 2008 at 7:52 PM

Portland isn’t on the coast. It’s 70 miles, and a mountain range east of the coast. So too is Eugene, and Medford. The Oregon coast is predominantly Republican. Oregon is conservative west of the Coast Range, and east of the Cascade mountains.

By the way, this holds for Washington as well. Seattle/Tacoma and Vancouver are all east of the coast, but west of the Cascades (yeah, I know, the Pungent Sound connects Sea/Tac to the ocean, but it’s not on the Pacific).

Scribbler on June 24, 2008 at 8:29 PM

I live in E. Washington, and yes, most of us here are conservative. There has been much talk over the years to divided the state in half at the cascades because W of the cascades is mostly liberal. Because there are so many on the W side, those of us on the E feel as if our opinions don’t matter because there aren’t enough of us to sway the votes.

StephC on June 24, 2008 at 8:42 PM

I’m an Oregonian. My senator, Gordon Smith, is an ass.

Scribbler on June 24, 2008 at 7:35 PM

I’m also an Oregonian, and if Smith were to run as a partisan Republican he would have too be an ass, and a soon to be ex-senator ass.

MB4 on June 24, 2008 at 8:54 PM

The GOP is full of traitors these days. That, or liars who campaigned as GOP members.

madmonkphotog on June 24, 2008 at 8:55 PM

Back during the McCain/Kennedy attempted middle of the night Shannesty I emailed Smith and told him that if he voted the wrong way I would vote against him, but that if he voted right I would vote for him. He did and I am.

MB4 on June 24, 2008 at 8:59 PM

“Hi, I’m Gordon Smith and I am a windsock, just like Obama. I would name-drop whomever happened to hold the DFL nomination so I hope all you brain-dead Obamanations will vote for a fellow brain-dead white guy.”

Bishop on June 24, 2008 at 9:01 PM

Scribbler on June 24, 2008 at 8:29 PM
StephC on June 24, 2008 at 8:42 PM

The same demographic patterns can be found all over the country, here in Massa-2-shi%s, Boston metro and most of the coastal communities are overwhelmingly clueless (liberal) while the smaller rural communities west of I-495 tend to far more conservative. Most urban centers are sewers of entitlement and thus reek of liberal guano.

dmann on June 24, 2008 at 9:02 PM

Finally: Someone less principled than Obama. The Messiah won’t even give him an endorsement.

Attila (Pillage Idiot) on June 24, 2008 at 9:15 PM

MB4 on June 24, 2008 at 8:54 PM

Wait… you think he’s NOT being partisan? He IS.

He’s running as the worst sort of partisan there is– or haven’t you seen any of the other commercials the ass Smith is running?

If he were a man, he’d be ashamed of his behavior, apologize to one and all, and remove himself from public life.

There is NO positive purpose served by the behavior of such politicians.

Scribbler on June 24, 2008 at 9:30 PM

If he Juan McCain were a man, he’d be ashamed of his behavior, apologize to one and all, and remove himself from public life.

There is NO positive purpose served by the behavior of such politicians.

Scribbler on June 24, 2008 at 9:30 PM

MB4 on June 24, 2008 at 9:43 PM

It is a shame that a good state like Oregon has to have Portland in it. Without Portland Oregon will be very much a red state. O well at least Oregon voters hates GAYS aka in 2004 they voted no on Gay marriage.

BroncosRock on June 24, 2008 at 9:55 PM

Has it come to this? Couldn’t he have just touted the achievement without practically endorsing the other side’s candidate?

CP on June 24, 2008 at 10:10 PM

Conservatives say to Gordon Smith…”Tell us how our asses taste!”

malan89 on June 24, 2008 at 10:40 PM

Does this mean Obama’s endorsing Smith for senate? Nope.

What an absolutely worthless tool. Another act in ‘Obama, the musical’ that is produced for all of our consumption.

ThackerAgency on June 24, 2008 at 10:46 PM

I’m Gordon Smith and I value my cushy job more than my principles. Oh, and I am Obama’s beyotch, even if he treats me like a redheaded stepchild.

CapitalistPig on June 24, 2008 at 11:00 PM

Oregonians should know that Barack Obama supports Jeff Merkley for Senate.

And the republican party wonders why it’s on the verge of being voted out of power forever.

peacenprosperity on June 24, 2008 at 11:01 PM

These RINOS have got to go. Can’t we just start over?

NTWR on June 24, 2008 at 7:52 PM

Calling Gordon Smith a RINO is an insult to RINOs

noodle on June 24, 2008 at 11:23 PM

Cuddling up to Democrats and their special interest groups really worked great for Oregon’s previous Republican senator, Bob Packwood, didn’t it?

jon1979 on June 24, 2008 at 11:48 PM

So is Gordon Smith saying that, like Obama, he hasn’t done shit in Congress as well?

GarandFan on June 25, 2008 at 12:47 AM

I’m an Oregonian. My senator, Gordon Smith, is an ass.

Scribbler on June 24, 2008 at 7:35 PM

Here’s another Oregonian … agree with Scribbler and wish that Oregon had a Republican somewhere in Government, at this time we don’t. I’ve emailed G. Smith more than I care to remember, he couldn’t care less what we think, he wants to get re-elected.

ORrighty on June 25, 2008 at 12:48 AM

Man, can we have a background check on some of these Republicans on the west coast? First we’ve got Senator Toilet Sex from Idaho; now we’ve got the Senator Smith from Organ butt slapping Barry Obama..(incidentally, am I the only person who imagines possible President Obama’s first state dinner introduction as: President Barrack Obama, and his Baby Mama. It makes me giggle like the turbo lax scene in Dumb and Dumber. Pathetic, I know.)

austinnelly on June 25, 2008 at 12:53 AM

Idaho isn’t on the West Coast.

Put it this way : if we were talking about the same distance from the east coast, we’d be in Ohio, heading west from New York City. Is Ohio on the East Coast?

Scribbler on June 25, 2008 at 1:17 AM

Hang on now, people. If it’s OK for the Republican presidential nominee, a Senator from a red state, to suck up to liberals, it’s OK for a Republican Senator from a wacky blue state. In fact, it’s even more understandable, isn’t it?

But you folks go ahead and vote for John McCain. If he wins, it WON’T push the Republican party to the left.

Really.

misterpeasea on June 25, 2008 at 1:51 AM

So he’s Hoping to ride Obama’s coat tails to get re-elected?

PappaMac on June 24, 2008 at 7:38 PM

I don’t think it’s Obama’s coattails he wants to ride.

SouthernGent on June 25, 2008 at 2:17 AM

Keep Oregon Green!

It’s sort of a brain washing technique the Liberals use in the public schools around here. Green also lets you declare yourself distinctly Oregonian without having to boldly declare your political party.

The green color scheme with the “I’m good for all of Oregon” thing won him re-election last time around and with the Republicans in even lower polling than usual it looks like Smith is looking to distance himself from the party even further.

Oh, and he supports Immigration ‘Reform’.

Like Washington to our north, Oregon has had several efforts to sever the Liberal valley from the Conservative rural areas- the most recent began just last year.

Unfortunately, even the ‘Conservative’ areas of Oregon are overrun by Conservative, Christian, Gun Owning Democrats that view Republicans as the rich bad guys that are to blame for just about everything.

Things should be interesting here in Oregon the next few years as the Federal Timber payments have come to conclusion and inspite of decades of warning the local state and county governments have done nothing to prepare for the revenue shortfall. Most of the public services in the state will suffer between 60% and 70% shortfalls in their budgets with no idea how to make up the difference. Some counties are faced with the prospect of raising taxes 400% just to maintain current services which in many respects are not considered adequate. But not to worry! There is still a group pushing for ‘Universal Healthcare’ here in Oregon where if successful anyone who can make it to an Oregon hospital, citizen or illegal, will get free healthcare curtesy of the Oregon Taxpayer.

Browncoatone on June 25, 2008 at 2:36 AM

misterpeasea on June 25, 2008 at 1:51 AM

Talent hits a target no one else can hit, genius hits a target no one else can see.
- Schopenhauer

Well, others can see it too, but not the McCainiacs. Those who want to hang Smith from an old oak tree but still support Juan. Cognitive dissonance for sure.

MB4 on June 25, 2008 at 2:42 AM

Snake307 on June 24, 2008 at 7:57 PM

love it!

Conservative Voice on June 25, 2008 at 3:44 AM

I’m Gordon Smith and I’m proud to be another spineless RINO jellyfish who will bow in homage to Pelosi and Reid as soon as the voters of Oregon are stupid enough to vote me into office.

pilamaye on June 25, 2008 at 7:25 AM

Yet I bet the GOP supports this twit over actual conservatives that COULD EASILY win western Oregon. That is a big problem with the RNC, they will support any incumbent.

Spartacus on June 25, 2008 at 7:50 AM

“I’m Gordon Smith, a gutless whimp, and I approve anything that will help me keep my worthless self employed”

PatriotPete on June 25, 2008 at 8:49 AM

It’s Oregon!! Nuff said.

jeanie on June 25, 2008 at 9:26 AM

this guy is precisely what’s wrong with the current Republican line-up.

suck-up.

jimmer on June 25, 2008 at 11:01 AM

When giant ants from outer space invade and conquer Oregon, no doubt Gordon Smith will be on TV saying, “I, for one, welcome our new insect overlords.

Spurius Ligustinus on June 25, 2008 at 1:18 PM

I live in Eugene, Oregon. Gordon Smith’s ads make me sick. He’s a blue state butt-kisser.

whatthecrap on June 25, 2008 at 4:25 PM

The funny thing is, even the “Liberal” Wilamette valley is fairly conservative. Portland and Eugene are, to paraphrase Tolkien, the centers from which all the queerness emanates (as in oddity, not the other one). Unfortunately, they are also by far the largest population centers and like Browncoatone said, a lot of the folks here are traditionally Democrat (case in point, a friend at work who lives in Eugene, votes D, and identifies himself as a Liberal while being very much a social and fiscal conservative, albeit somewhat libertarian).

Militant Bibliophile on June 25, 2008 at 6:25 PM