Jon Stewart assures audience: It’s okay to laugh at Obama

posted at 4:33 pm on June 24, 2008 by Allahpundit

Is it? I thought the only acceptable attacks on Democrats on “The Daily Show” were from the left, when they commit the sin of compromising with Republicans. This is, I guess, technically an attack from Obama’s left, but it’s targeting a measure he took to improve the left’s chances of taking back the White House. What kind of liberal are you, Stewart?

Says Jim Treacher in the comments to the Headlines item, “That’s my favorite part, the nervous, hesitant laughter. You can almost hear the audience thinking, ‘Is this okay? Will people think I’m a racist?’”

Comments

The left is so funny when they start short-circuiting. :)

ThePrez on June 24, 2008 at 4:37 PM

As long as I have permission.

lorien1973 on June 24, 2008 at 4:40 PM

He jumped the shark, I tellya.

He’s getting laughed at in his own church by his own high priest; he’s in big trouble.

Typhoon on June 24, 2008 at 4:40 PM

It’s funny how righties don’t realize the Daily Show takes ruthless giant dumps on both Democrats and Republicans.

Dave Rywall on June 24, 2008 at 4:41 PM

Dave Rywall on June 24, 2008 at 4:41 PM

Yes of course and that’s why Stewart needed to prompt the audience to laugh.

Typhoon on June 24, 2008 at 4:42 PM

Can I laugh at Michelle without hurting her children?

How about Jerry Wright, he’s pretty funny, in a loudmouth Redd Foxx sort of way.

benrand on June 24, 2008 at 4:45 PM

That’ll be the last time they makes jokes about Obama. The audience was beyond hesitant. Gotta give the brain-dead audience what it wants.

Jim-Rose on June 24, 2008 at 4:46 PM

Stewart is a self-proclaimed socialist. But, it will remain to see if Stewart does go after Obama as much as he should. Obama is comedy gold. The amount of flip-flops and associations, along with denials of the former, are enough. He should do this more often. Maybe his ratings will grow higher against Colbert.

jencab on June 24, 2008 at 4:47 PM

Jon Stewart assures audience: It’s okay to laugh at Obama

Oh thank you, thank you Jon. I’ve been holding my breath all this time, and just because of YOU, I can finally laugh at NoBama 08. /Sarcasm

byteshredder on June 24, 2008 at 4:48 PM

Um, sure. Jon Stewart has clearly stated he’s a liberal. He puts devil eyes on President Bush for one his graphics. He has a countdown till when President Bush is leaving. On the day that Gov. Romney left he said “F-You!”

Yeah, he’s equally brutal to everyone.

Do you suffer from disillusions?

terryannonline on June 24, 2008 at 4:52 PM

It truly sounded like the tension was palpable…you could just see Stewart thinking, “Why am I bombing here? Are you folks *really* that blinded by him?”

Tim on June 24, 2008 at 4:52 PM

It’s no longer “jumped the shark” to some completely ludicrous stunt!

It’s now “nuked the fridge”, after the totally ridiculous Indiana Jones stunt in the latest offering, where he hides in an old lead-lined fridge, to survive a Nuke Blast, and gets hurled miles thru the air, survives a fall of hundreds of feet, the nuke contaimination, and not to say manages to avoid about 5000 bullets, all without a scratch, or even a pulled pinky!

The Left is Nuking the Fridge right now!

Dale in Atlanta on June 24, 2008 at 4:52 PM

Dave Rywall on June 24, 2008 at 4:41 PM

As someone who checks his website daily, I know how unbalanced it is. Stewart has no problem dumping excessively on Republicans by themselves, but an attack on Dems is often accompanied by a bigger slam of Reps.

He even rode Bush’s Iraq/Mandela remark after most had understood it was a metaphor.

amerpundit on June 24, 2008 at 4:53 PM

terryannonline on June 24, 2008 at 4:52 PM

Sorry I meant delusions.

terryannonline on June 24, 2008 at 4:53 PM

The media should stop treating Obama as though he’s never farted. He’s from Chicago, he’s eaten deep dish pizza, you know he can cut one with the best of them.

radjah shelduck on June 24, 2008 at 4:55 PM

Hahaha. I think Michael Richards racist tirade got more laughs.

Chuck Schick on June 24, 2008 at 4:55 PM

Well okay, but…

Jumping the shark really isn’t about a ridiculous stunt. It’s more about that moment when something that was on the upswing peaked, and would forever more never be as good as it had been.

Barry sailed right over the great white with that seal. And there’s no making it as it was before.

Typhoon on June 24, 2008 at 4:58 PM

Its “ruthless giant dumps” on the Democrats always come in the context of them not being left enough, like when they vote to authorize funds for the war. And if the show’s viewership is so evenhanded, why did Stewart feel compelled to reassure the audience here?

Allahpundit on June 24, 2008 at 4:59 PM

Dave Rywall on June 24, 2008 at 4:41 PM

So much FAIL…

doubleplusundead on June 24, 2008 at 4:59 PM

Oh the fickle Left! One moment you are the unassailable untouchable golden boy, the next you are abandoned by the cruel mistress, left to your own devices. All because of greed.

See you don’t get that with the Right. When we hate you, we consistently hate you, for all time (e.g. McCain)

apollyonbob on June 24, 2008 at 4:59 PM

terryannonline on June 24, 2008 at 4:53 PM

Well he’s probably suffering from disillusions too. Imagine if you had both your Lightworker and your Officially Sanctioned Humor Provider let you down in such rapid succession.

Typhoon on June 24, 2008 at 5:01 PM

This is the Obama campaign in a nutshell: Everything is off-limits and you better not remember what goes wrong.

Bishop on June 24, 2008 at 5:01 PM

Dave Rywall on June 24, 2008 at 4:41 PM

When interviewed back in 2005 Jon Stewart himself admitted that what you just said was not true. His response at the time was, “Well the democrats aren’t important enough.” because they weren’t in power. Then when they came into power, they still weren’t important enough because they weren’t doing anything.

I used to watch the Daily Show back when it wasn’t so partisan. The worst part is that BDS is pretty rampant on the show. The best example of this is probably the “Nelson Mandela is dead” idiocy.

apollyonbob on June 24, 2008 at 5:02 PM

It’s ok to laugh at obambi? That’s all I do when I see or hear anything about him. I thought he was a clown without the clown suit. He has the big ears and just looks like a clown to me. I think God put him where he is just so we can have a good laugh every day.

WildBillK on June 24, 2008 at 5:06 PM

English to Latin “But You Shouldn’t!”

Tamen Vos Should NON

upinak on June 24, 2008 at 5:06 PM

Dave Rywall on June 24, 2008 at 4:41 PM

I have watched TDS since Craig Kilborn was on there and I can tell you that you’re absolutely wrong on this. When William Jefferson was caught with $90K in his freezer, JS should have had a field day. Instead, he mentioned it briefly and then segued into a joke about Dennis Hastert. I stopped watching about four months ago because I could no longer take the first eight minutes of the show being devoted to bashing Bush.

Now, if you want a show that takes big dumps on everyone, try South Park. I nearly choked when PeTA came to South Park.

Kafir on June 24, 2008 at 5:07 PM

And Limbaugh often dumps on the Republicans.

But, as with Stewart, from a ideological point of view, i.e., they’re not sufficiently pure.

SteveMG on June 24, 2008 at 5:09 PM

It’s no longer “jumped the shark” to some completely ludicrous stunt!

The new phrase is “jumped the possum.”

NeighborhoodCatLady on June 24, 2008 at 5:09 PM

The only thing that could tarnish Obama now is if he hugs Bush.

Those folks were scary…If you can’t laugh atleast a little you got some issues. I mean I hate Sean Penn, but he is a very good actor.

tomas on June 24, 2008 at 5:10 PM

There was a time when the Daily Show was more impartial in its digs and doled it out brutally to both sides. They still stuck it to Republicans more, but it was tolerable (in fact, very very funny) because they at least acknowledged regularly that Democrats stepped in it all the time, too. I forget when it was, but there was a clear point when Stewart gave up on that and went full-bore leftist. He still tosses the token joke at a deserving Democrat, but Allah is right–it’s almost always to criticize a Dem for not being lefty enough, not just for being a ‘tard. Or when it is clear that Dem opinion has shifted strongly against a Dem, like in Hillary’s case. His audience no longer knows how to handle a justified joke at one of their favorite guys’ expense because Stewart has not done it in a long time and certainly hasn’t done it to Obama yet. I wonder if Stewart will back off or keep at it and train his audience to laugh at Obama. He needs them to be able to laugh at the guy if Obama wins. He can’t spend four years tiptoeing around the president, even if he likes him for a change. He needs the comedy fodder no matter what.

aero on June 24, 2008 at 5:13 PM

I think that seal could be up there with Dukakis in the tank before it’s said and done.

The pure unadulterated silliness of it needs to be hammered, hammered, hammered home.

I’d love to see ads with issues, Obama’s ever-changing stances on those issues, and then cut-aways to him sitting vacant-eyed behind that giant blue turkey.

Typhoon on June 24, 2008 at 5:14 PM

Kafir on June 24, 2008 at 5:07 PM

Indeed. The makers of South Park are so talented at this that liberals are convinced that SP is pro-liberal, and conservatives are convinced that it is pro-conservative.

aero on June 24, 2008 at 5:15 PM

See Jon? That’s what you get for going for the “clapper humor” demographic. The moment you try some actual comedy they just won’t have it.

madne0 on June 24, 2008 at 5:26 PM

I’ve only seen the Daily Show once. John LEIBOWITZ and his show are part of something very bad for America. There is a significant swath of Americans who get their news through the filter of entertainment and comedy shows. Entertaining ourselves to death….

ParisParamus on June 24, 2008 at 5:26 PM

aero on June 24, 2008 at 5:15 PM

SP is libertarian to the core. Just like Penn and Teller’s BS. Great shows, both.

VolMagic on June 24, 2008 at 5:26 PM

It would have been better if the Great Possum also paid the unemployed actors of the West Wing to follow him around and say things like “Mr President, there’s a possible rift in the Greco-Bolivian alliance.”

Chuck Schick on June 24, 2008 at 5:27 PM

I like how Daschle, Richardson, and that other Democrats tried to spin Obama’s decision. Give them the Scott McClellan Award for Bull-Shitting in Public.

Seixon on June 24, 2008 at 5:28 PM

Bunch of pathetic bots.

spmat on June 24, 2008 at 5:37 PM

I see that “Dave Rywall” disappeared after taking a troll-dump on us………

Stweart, as several of you have already noted, openly admits that

he is a leftie

he is NOT any sort or ‘journalist’ , but a comedian

But no, the troll says that he is an Equal Dumper. I love Free Speech: anyone cam make an idiot of themselves, in full public view

John J. Bradley, posting as…….

Janos Hunyadi on June 24, 2008 at 5:56 PM

That’s what you get for going for the “clapper humor” demographic.

Applause breaks. That was one reason I liked Tough Crowd, because Colin Quinn would always call out guest comics who went for the cheap, easy applause break.

Jim Treacher on June 24, 2008 at 5:58 PM

Hooray for Jon Stewart. Thanks to his quick explanation mid-mock (3:21-3:40), many members of his young and big audience who didn’t know before what was so self-serving about this flip flop now do. Thanks Jon!

inviolet on June 24, 2008 at 6:01 PM

The new phrase is “jumped the possum.”

Hang on, I thought he threw the possum under the bus?

flenser on June 24, 2008 at 6:06 PM

flenser on June 24, 2008 at 6:06 PM

…and the bus jumped it.

Typhoon on June 24, 2008 at 6:07 PM

Seixon on June 24, 2008 at 5:28 PM

I like how Daschle, the sitting minority leader of the Senate, got his ass handed to him and he was booted out of office…And yet here he is on TV..blathering on like anyone gives a damn….

BigWyo on June 24, 2008 at 6:07 PM

More and more, Jon Stewart’s unabashedly partisan comedy strikes me like that scene from “Cabaret” where the master of ceremonies, Joel Grey, is doing a comedy routine with a guy in a gorilla suit, about how much they are in love, and ends with the big punch line, “At least she’s not Jewish.”

There is something very creepy, dishonest, and wrong about Stewart pandering to the worst prejudices of his lefty audience, facilitating their hate.

Tantor on June 24, 2008 at 6:09 PM

Yea that was fake laugh,, fo’ sho’

gr8inferno on June 24, 2008 at 6:32 PM

can’t get the video to work. anyone got a youtube version?

Darth Executor on June 24, 2008 at 6:35 PM

can’t get the video to work. anyone got a youtube version?

Are you making joke?

Comedy Central is suing YouTube.

terryannonline on June 24, 2008 at 6:37 PM

terryannonline on June 24, 2008 at 6:37 PM

No, I was serious. Got it to work on their site though, so I’m fine.

Darth Executor on June 24, 2008 at 6:40 PM

Just showing the hand raise was a bit lame. More damning vids and sound bytes are available.
I guess we take what we can get from Stewart.

thebriand on June 24, 2008 at 6:40 PM

Darth Executor on June 24, 2008 at 6:40 PM

Oh.
Well, your non-joke was still funnier than Jon Stewart:)

terryannonline on June 24, 2008 at 6:42 PM

I didnt need permission to laugh at Obama…did I?

becki51758 on June 24, 2008 at 6:51 PM

Typhoon on June 24, 2008 at 5:01 PM

Heh, good one! I’m certain Dave Rywall is not only delusional, dissolutioned, he’s also been drinking way too much kool-aid if he thinks the Daily Show dumps on dems as much as they dump on Repubs…the lack of reality is strong with this one!

Liberty or Death on June 24, 2008 at 6:56 PM

That was the first Daily Show I had seen in a long time. And I was quickly reminded why I don’t watch it.

The silence was deafening and I was thinking the same thing; they didn’t want to laugh at Stewart’s attempt to be somewhat ‘balanced’ out of fear of being branded by anyone within earshot as a heretic of the Messiah.

Grafted on June 24, 2008 at 7:25 PM

Stewart, of all people, ought to be rooting for McCain.

What’s he going to do for material if Obama’s the POTUS?

This test run of asking his audience to, you know, be balanced….didn’t work out so well.

(He should take that act to Red Eye, it’d go over marvelous there.)

Hawkins1701 on June 24, 2008 at 7:35 PM

It better had be ok. WHat? He’s black and can do no wrong, can’t be joked about? pffft.

johnnyU on June 24, 2008 at 7:45 PM

Dave Rywall on June 24, 2008 at 4:41 PM

You really need to start DVRing “Red Eye”, Dave, to see what it looks like to skewer (and in some cases, propose to eat) both sides of the political spectrum.

jon1979 on June 24, 2008 at 7:55 PM

Stewart’s career depends on mockery. Its not like he can take a 4-year holiday if Obama is elected.

aengus on June 24, 2008 at 11:40 PM

I’m glad that I have permission to laugh at Obama, since I’ve been doing it since he entered the race.

otcconan on June 25, 2008 at 9:56 AM

I just read Palermo’s HuffPo piece. Anyone here ever heard of “walk around” money? That famous phrase the esteemed Ed Rollins coined?

Does anyone really think all this money is from poor individual donors?? I really can’t wait for an accounting of Obama’s campaign expenditures. I’m not naive enough to think we will see expenditures listing “$1 million cash walk around money to students at UC Berkeley”, but we will see some pretty outlandish totals.

Obama is buying the election with small handouts so folks can contribute online, in my opinion, courtesy of the vast left wing conspiracy headed by loveable George Soros.

eaglesdontflock on June 25, 2008 at 10:13 AM