Angry Louisianans warn Jindal not to approve legislature’s pay raise; Update: Now with angry e-mails! Update: And still more e-mails!

posted at 8:00 pm on June 24, 2008 by Allahpundit

I have nothing to say about this except to flag it as an early alert that the golden boy’s popularity back home might be in jeopardy. To my surprise, we’ve gotten half a dozen e-mails from Louisianans since the creationist posts advising me that the big issue back home has nothing to do with evolution and everything to do with a pay raise the state legislature just voted for itself — something Jindal promised when he was running for governor last year that he’d oppose. It’s not just our readers either. Check Google News and you’ll find more coverage of the pay raise than the debate over intelligent design. Even the NYT is in on the action:

Conservative talk-radio show hosts and bloggers have denounced it, newspaper editorials have inveighed against it — The Times-Picayune of New Orleans called the increase “greedy” and its main proponent “shameless” — and the legislators themselves received floods of e-mail messages from angry constituents…

“This pay raise is devastating him,” said Moon Griffon, a conservative talk-radio host with a wide following in northern Louisiana, the most Republican and evangelical part of the state. “I’ve gotten over 5,000 e-mails from people who say they voted for him, and who say they would never vote for him again.”

Mr. Griffon added, “People don’t like hypocrisy, and they like somebody with guts.”

The legislative session ended Monday, and Mr. Jindal now has two weeks to veto the pay increase, though he has given no indication that he will do so…

“No matter where I go, they certainly are disappointed, and they are using some very unkind words related to his spine,” said Bernie Pinsonat, a pollster in Baton Rouge. “It’s pretty ferocious.” He added, “I’m quite positive his base is very upset with him.”

I can appreciate the pain of a broken campaign promise but there’s obviously some sort of regional divide here as to the nastiness of a legislative pay hike because we wouldn’t blink an eye at this sort of thing in New York. We’re not talking about some massive sum here: It’s a bump from $16,800 a year to $37,500, seemingly a drop in the bucket of even a poor state but evidently of huge import to voters. (There are 39 state senators and 105 representative, so the total hike should be just shy of $3 million per year.) Jindal’s spokesman claims he’s not going to veto it so as not antagonize the legislature into digging in against the rest of his reform agenda, but if this thing is leaking into national papers I wonder if he has any choice, simply as a way to preserve his popularity back home. As of this afternoon he still insists he won’t oppose it, although he’s ominously adopted the McCain-esque line that he’s “learned his lesson” and will keep closer tabs on this sort of thing going forward. Exit question: Yeah, he went back on his word but he’s doing a good job otherwise. What’s the big deal? What am I missing here?

Update (Ed): I’m a little mystified here myself.  Minnesota state legislators get $31,000 per year for their part-time work.  It seems to me that without paying the state legislators a decent wage, Louisiana risks having the only people in their legislature either be rich or able to manipulate their power to get there.   That certainly was one argument about why the New Orleans PD had such endemic corruption; their starting pay was around $6 per hour a few years ago, about what a security guard made.

Part of governing is compromise, and this doesn’t seem too egregious to me.  I understand that Jindal had promised to keep pay raises off the table, but this is a good lesson to Jindal not to overpromise during the campaign.  If Obama had learned that lesson, maybe he’d be a better candidate in this cycle.

Update: Louisianans strike back!

YIKES… I know about the Hotair-Jindal lovefest but geeze this is getting silly….

>Yeah, he went back on his word but he’s doing a good job otherwise. What’s the big deal? What am I missing here?

>Part of governing is compromise, and this doesn’t seem too egregious to me.

Over Doubling the pay and having it automagically raising forever (without another vote ever) doesn’t seem egregious???

OK what will qualify it for egregiousness? 3X? 6X? 10X?

What you don’t get is that the BASE pay is just that BASE pay. They also get a per diem for every day the lege is in session. Plus expenses… PLUS a full time staff…. Plus Plus Plus…

The average lege is already making about $36,000 a year BEFORE the pay raise. And before the other perks…. Which BTW is DEAD AT the national average.

Now they want to get paid $60K a year (almost double the national average) for a part time job…. and you “fiscal conservatives” don’t see the problem here???? No wonder the party is doomed.

==============
and in case you have not been reading your comments Jindal HAS NOT been doing a good job otherwise. He’s pissed off his whole base.

Look- I worked on 3 of his campaigns. Never, Never, Never again.

You guys need to wake up and smell the coffee on this one.

Another:

These people have other jobs too! And they have expense accounts and can write a bunch of perks off and not to mention state retirement to go along with the other retirement from their original job. I would consider an increase in pay but it shouldn’t go into affect now…they should have to wait until the next election. I worked for a State Representative back in the early ’90′s. Their job is not hard! 2 months out of the year in session. Give me a break!

Also, they need to be held accountable. Show us what you did to help the state and the constituents, then we will vote to see if you deserve a pay raise.

I am off my soap box.

And another:

The issue you raised in your post is valid, the fact that if legislatures pay were better, more laypeople would run. The problem is that its a 100% increase!!! And it is to take effect immediately, whereas tax cuts will wait until 2010. Had they passed a more modest pay raise or made them active when the tax cuts will be activated OR made the tax cuts active when the pay raise took effect then there would not be a backlash.

Update:I’m glad you guys posted the responses from some of us here in La, but you’re still not getting the whole picture. People are ENRAGED. When they passed the bill, I was so mad on Monday night that I had to do something. I threw together a website (http://www.legewatch.com) to see if we couldn’t at least get a watchdog organization together. I didn’t really expect much response.

This is what they make, not $16k – http://www.legewatch.com/2008/06/debunking-the-pay-raise-lies/ – plus a nice benefits package including $700 – $1200 per month in health insurance benefits. They were already adequately paid for what is constitutionally a part time job – now they leap to one the highest paid legislatures in the country while we languish at the bottom of nearly every quality of life metric there is.

The response has been phenomenal – after three days I had to get a volunteer to act as a spokesperson and he’s been making the rounds of TV and radio shows all over the state. Hundreds of people signed up, we’ve got a rally planned – and if you want pics/video when that happens I’ll be glad to report on it for you – on July 7. I’ve got people upstate chartering BUSES to come down for the rally. This is huge, and very similar to what happened in Pennsylvania in 2005 – in fact we’re modeling our campaign after that one. We’re filming a TV spot on Tuesday. Basically we’ve gone from 0 to 200 mph in the last 6 days. I can’t tell you how big this is, in Louisiana politics. Recall campaigns are starting up statewide; I’m helping the various groups to coordinate and have a workable, effective plan. And I’m not a political operative or anything like that – this really is grassroots.

As for Jindal doing a good job otherwise … I’m a long time supporter of his, and I can tell you he’s been a real disappointment. He let us down with his sham ethics reform and a whole lot more. We want Bobby to tighten up and be the guy we supported in the campaign – and the only way I know to make that happen is to get the facts out.

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2

But when was the last time they got a pay raise?

AprilOrit on June 25, 2008 at 8:59 AM

The last time their base pay was raised it was 1980. But they have had continuous per diem, mileage, benefit, and perq increases since then.

Laura on June 25, 2008 at 9:20 AM

From what I’ve been reading about LA over the last many,many years—they should have gotten upset a long time ago about how their state is run. Too late now folks!!

jeanie on June 25, 2008 at 9:23 AM

I’m not sure why he won’t veto the raises. A back room deal? Doesn’t want to PO the legislature? I don’t know.

He says because he doesn’t want them to stop his other stuff like vouchers, but the lege did just give his people some huge raises. Seems like quid pro quo to me, but they didn’t think voters would get this rowdy.

The real question is why didn’t he grip when they gutted his ethics reform?

Laura on June 25, 2008 at 9:27 AM

Too late now folks!!

No. It is not too late; it is never too late.

Laura on June 25, 2008 at 9:28 AM

I think it’s phenomenal what the people of La are doing. I agree, it’s never too late. The only change I believe in, is the change brought about by the American public, not it’s government. Now if the folks in my home state of Michigan would get off of their butts and quit following the UAW’s lead like a bunch of sheep, and kick Granholm’s butt out of office, we would be doing okay.

gator70 on June 25, 2008 at 9:36 AM

“Everybody knows it would be in my own self interest to veto this. But I don’t want to give them (legislators) any reason to throw sand in the gears. I don’t want to give the Legislature an excuse to go back to fighting reform.”

Yeah, why would they fight reform?

If they wanted reform, Bobby, they wouldn’t need you to lead them by the nose ’cause they’d have already passed all the reform needed.

I won’t say it’s an excuse because they media, et al, have promoted this as some kind of commonsense wisdom with respect to all sorts of issues. It is, however, a naive argument. If the legislators want the reforms, why would they fight it? If they don’t want it, then they’ll fight it whether you give the raise to them or not.

If Jindal really feels the pay ought to be raised, fine, veto this bill and say “I’ll send you the reform bills. If you pass them without watering them down, then send me the pay raise bill again and I’ll sign it.”

Sleeping it over and in light of the info on pay coming out of LA overnight and this morning, though, I don’t think a raise of more than a couple grand is warranted. It’s a three to four month job, and they already get a whole lot more than $17K now, even if you exclude the cost of working on the road, if you will, for that period.

Dusty on June 25, 2008 at 9:38 AM

But when was the last time they got a pay raise?

AprilOrit on June 25, 2008 at 8:59 AM

Yeah, it still doesn’t work that way, not at most jobs, or rather, not at business that intend to generate money.

Reading those emails really clears things up, though it’s sad that Jindal isn’t the governor many thought he would be.

Esthier on June 25, 2008 at 9:39 AM

This is a real disappointment… Jindal was supposed to be a great reformer, and now it looks like he’s just another corrupt Louisiana pol. Maybe Jindal will turn out to be a great reformer yet, but this blow-up is just more evidence of why it’s important to have a record, and not merely “potential,” before going for major national office.

Outlander on June 25, 2008 at 9:40 AM

I’m going to guess and say Jindal is not McCain’s running mate….

indythinker on June 25, 2008 at 9:45 AM

“never too late” Yup, it is!! Michigan is one example. They won’t/can’t change. Rhode Island is another. Old attitudes are entrenched and most have either given up or are benefitting too much from the present system to get along without it. I wish you luck down there in LA. Prove me wrong if you can. I’d like to be proven wrong in this case.

jeanie on June 25, 2008 at 9:52 AM

Maybe I’m misunderstanding here, but even with all the benefits, that doesn’t seem like much money for a legislator. While there are technically no skill requirements for that job, many of them are going to have 4 year degrees and come from a legal background. I would even venture to say that if the vast majority were in private industry full time that they would be make far far more.

Brad on June 25, 2008 at 9:58 AM

Brad, that is phenomenal money for a part time job. Sessions are 60 or 90 days per year. (Alternating odd and even.) Even when they are called into a special session it is still a part time job, and their pay increases via per diem during special sessions, so they don’t lose anything by it.

Laura on June 25, 2008 at 10:02 AM

can’t we all just evolve?

I agree, the politicians in this country have got this entitlement mentality at every level. There are very few that don’t get sucked into the mire.

The ones that do want to change it, are often blasted as being kooks, like Tom Tancredo.

kirkill on June 25, 2008 at 10:07 AM

MAN, Louisiana politics is a frakking mess!

Seriously, Laura, Bobby’s gotta be a little better than Kathleen. I find it very hard to believe anyone could be worse. But I’ve never experienced politics as bad as Louisiana’s, so what do I know?

aero on June 25, 2008 at 10:17 AM

Brad on June 25, 2008 at 9:58 AM

Then maybe they should return to the private side and stop stealing from fellow citizens. Jindal is a MAJOR disappointment. Hold onto your wallets gang – it’s gonna be an expensive four years….

Branch Rickey on June 25, 2008 at 10:28 AM

I think I can vouch for most when they say they are glad they have and nothing more.

upinak on June 25, 2008 at 10:31 AM

Bobby’s gotta be a little better than Kathleen.

Of course he is. I’d rather have the crap beat out of me than be shot, too, but neither is an especially palatable option. We need Jindal to step up and be the guy he promised he’d be.

Laura on June 25, 2008 at 10:38 AM

Laura on June 25, 2008 at 10:38 AM

Laura what do you think the issue is?

The fact that it is on his desk to sign? Or the fact he is being pressured by the legislature?

I am curious as I saw how my State’s Legislature went through FBI investigations and other ethics dealings. I wonder why Jindal is sitting idle. Possibly waiting for the verdict?

upinak on June 25, 2008 at 10:41 AM

upinak… I’m not sure what’s driving him. A few facts, open to interpretation.
a) the lege just gave Jindal’s folks HUGE raises
b) they’re threatening his vouchers and other stuff
c) Jindal has a line item veto that he is NOT threatening them with
d) they gutted his ethics reform and rather than stop them he went on Leno and bragged how great it was
e) Teepell (Jindals lege liaison) mismanaged this in a big way by not shutting it down sooner
f) the lege is so tone-deaf and clueless they *really* didn’t understand how furious people would be

Assemble them however you please…

Laura on June 25, 2008 at 11:03 AM

Laura on June 25, 2008 at 11:03 AM

besides a Rally and possibly getting set up for a recall on Jindal. Are the people of LA going to recall any of the lege? I would hope so.

upinak on June 25, 2008 at 11:08 AM

aero on June 25, 2008 at 10:17 AM

Aero, saying what you’re saying, perhaps you’re from Utah, which just demonstrated remarkably good sense in ousting a republican shamnesty shill of the first order, in which case I suppose you have good reason for your criticism of Louisiana. I don’t know that much about Utah but it does seem like a well run state. By contrast there are places like New Jersey which make Louisiana seem positively Utopian! Not to mention the absolute basket-case that the once great state of California has become.

That said, I do realize its unfair to single you out on this. I do appologise in advance. You’re just repeating the conventional wisdom about Louisiana so commonly transmitted by outsiders who cannot know more. Its just your post, after so many before just like it, was the last straw. Yes Lousiana has been, a one party state, like Mexico, hindered, plagued by a tradition political patronage dating back to colonial times, but it is hardly unique in any of this, and its culture of politics as blood-sport also suggests an electorate that is atleast engaged.

Put it this way, if I had a young child or children and I had a choice of settling in Louisiana or California, there would be no question for me of where the better future lies.

Nyog_of_the_Bog on June 25, 2008 at 11:09 AM

Nyog_of_the_Bog on June 25, 2008 at 11:09 AM

I’m a Texan. Our political situation is far from perfect, but I just cringe for Louisianans whenever I hear about Louisiana politics. I guess you detect some bitterness that we’re STILL dealing with Katrina overflow problems here in Texas. Some of your worst citizens never went home, and they’re our problem now.

I did not feel sorry for New Orleans when they re-elected Ray Nagin. But I do feel sorry for Louisianans in general that they elected Jindal with such high hopes and are apparently being badly disappointed right now.

I really did have high hopes for Louisiana when Jindal was elected. It was such a huge positive sign for the future. I’m so very sorry he’s not living up to your expectations. That is an absolutely sincere statement, by the way. He’s young and new yet. Perhaps he’ll surprise you and rise to the challenge after all. (keeping fingers crossed)

aero on June 25, 2008 at 11:34 AM

The first thing I would like to know is how many hours is the state congress actually in session? If it is like GA they are in session about 90 days. 30K for 3 months work ain’t bad if you can get it, and when you add in the other payments I can’t really blame folks for getting upset.

Just A Grunt on June 25, 2008 at 11:41 AM

That’s an average salary for a state rep in the US? Well in LA’s case you really are getting what you are paying for.

I would not get out of bed for that wage. I would not get out of bed for the proposed raise!

Jim708 on June 25, 2008 at 11:55 AM

I hope he wakes up to vetoing this bill.

Tim Burton on June 25, 2008 at 12:01 PM

The problem is that it is the legislature itself and the governor who is approving the raise. Instead of doing it that way, make it a ballot measure and let the politicians debate it in a series of town hall type gatherings around the state. At least that way the people will feel they are not being taken for granted. Also, the politicians will have the opportunity to air their side AND actually convince the people that the raise is needed and justified. As it is, they are going down the same road that Pennsylvania’s legislators when down a few years ago. Most of those were summarily dismissed from office at their next reelection.

Wildcatter1980 on June 25, 2008 at 12:09 PM

There is not a huge appetite to recall the Gov – some, but not huge. Mostly we’re trying to recall the lege.

Laura on June 25, 2008 at 12:14 PM

Laura on June 25, 2008 at 12:14 PM

Well when it is time to get rid of the trash, you usually take out the worst part first. I know how the people feel down there. We still have some “problem” children here in Alaska’s Legislature… which I have a feeling will probably be getting the push out this next election. The FBI investigation has opened some eys and given the pucker effect.

Good Luck!

upinak on June 25, 2008 at 12:19 PM

Jim708 on June 25, 2008 at 11:55 AM

Let’s see… BEFORE the pay raise, they bring home $35k PLUS taxpayer subsidized health insurance to the tune of around $700 per month, plus all expenses, plus mileage, plus a boatload of other benefits and lobbyists falling all over themselves to do things for you…. you wouldn’t do three months of work for that? I would.

Laura on June 25, 2008 at 12:20 PM

Laura, Teepel is really a stooge. I don’t understand Jindal’s loyalty to him.

roux on June 25, 2008 at 12:47 PM

Hi Aero. Let me first say, all the Louisianians I have ever known have always had great admiration and affection for Texas, Texans and the way you get things done over there. If there is a state on which to model the future of Louisiana, it would have to be Texas!

On the other hand is pity, the word you truly mean?

I can only assume, that your attitude of pity derives from having been subjected to the national msm coverage given to the Katrina aftermath I, like many if not most Louisianians, owing to the fact that our power lines had been, by the same storm shredded, were never subject to. We were in the survival mode for which we had prepared, hosting our New Orleans relatives, maintaining our stores, cranking up our generators, and much busied with our chain-saws and never privy to what I only later could gather, was a travesty of emotionalism and sensationalism of monumental purportions!

As for your high hopes, well, the bloom may be coming off, but that was to be expected. This is just the beginning and its not Jindal’s fault if in the last few months, so many on the national scene have heaped such unrealisticly high expectations on the man. We knew he had a dirty job to do and we knew it would get him dirty. We just didn’t know how, how soon or much. What comes next will tell us allot.
Weather, he ends his term as Governor as presidential material or not, I suspect his future in republican politics at the national level is pretty certain.

Nyog_of_the_Bog on June 25, 2008 at 12:47 PM

Laura on June 25, 2008 at 12:20 PM

Thirty five grand for 3 months work translates to about ten grand a month. Ten grand times 12 months figures out at $120,000 per year. Apparently Jim’s sleep time is quite valuable.

a capella on June 25, 2008 at 12:55 PM

roux… ditto about Teepell. But I have to say, I’m grateful for his mismanagement because we may finally get some long overdue changes around here.

Laura on June 25, 2008 at 12:56 PM

Oh, it’s never too late. Jindal + Legislature != Mugabe (in which case it would be too late)

I R A Darth Aggie on June 25, 2008 at 1:07 PM

Update (Ed): I’m a little mystified here myself. Minnesota state legislators get $31,000 per year for their part-time work. It seems to me that without paying the state legislators a decent wage, Louisiana risks having the only people in their legislature either be rich or able to manipulate their power to get there. That certainly was one argument about why the New Orleans PD had such endemic corruption; their starting pay was around $6 per hour a few years ago, about what a security guard made.

I think Ed is right about the generalities in these remarks, and I don’t care about the details. I wish politically engaged Americans would save their anger for critical regime issues. But they don’t even know what regime analysis is.

Kralizec on June 25, 2008 at 1:23 PM

Ya think?

Rep. John LaBruzzo, R-Metairie, in a letter to Jindal said the Legislature “grossly misjudged the issue of legislative pay” and how it would resonate with constituents. “As a result, I am recommending that you veto Senate Bill 672 so that we can come together with our constituents to determine a more reasonable compensation plan for legislators,” LaBruzzo said.

I kind of hope he refuses to veto it because if he doesn’t, their political careers are over. They know it, too, which is why they’re panicking now. It’s a nice feeling to have them on the run for a change.

Laura on June 25, 2008 at 1:25 PM

Kralizec, you and Ed are wrong, flat out wrong, because “the details” include the fact that the base pay is less than half of their total compensation. That’s not an insignificant fact to know, when you’re forming your opinion of this matter.

Laura on June 25, 2008 at 1:27 PM

[Kralizec on June 25, 2008 at 1:23 PM]

Can you provide a thumbnail sketch of regime analysis, Kralizec? I ask because, 1) I’ve never heard of it, and 2) how does the rightness of those generalities, not impact all those states here that have pay even less than that of what’s on Jindal’s desk right now. Are you saying that the probability is inherent at 1 in 20 or 25 and that LA represents the random event 1?

Dusty on June 25, 2008 at 1:51 PM

From the Lousiana legislature webpage:

2008 Regular Legislative Session
Convened on Monday, March 31, 2008
Final Adjournment on Monday, June 23, 2008
Just about four months.
SteveMG on June 24, 2008 at 9:15 PM

April, May, June – Just about four three months.

I would be nice if Jindal would grow a pair. Another flash in the pan conservative. LA is hopeless.

Dasher on June 25, 2008 at 2:56 PM

I’m a long-time supporter of Jindal – voted for him during his first run for Gov and also the 2nd.

I too have been very disappointed in his performance. Jindal has surrounded himself with people are not very knowledgeable in the operations of state government, and they have kept him isolated. He does not seek or listen to the views of people who are knowledgeable. I don’t know if it is that he doesn’t trust people, or what. But he cannot dismiss out of hand the knowledge of people who have been around and are familiar with state operations and expect to get things done properly. Very disappointed fan here, and I am not alone.

reine.de.tout on June 25, 2008 at 3:26 PM

Sounds like Jindal pulled a Schwarzenegger on his conservative base.

Welcome to my world.

The Ugly American on June 25, 2008 at 3:39 PM

When Blanco was Governor the legislature voted to give themselves lifetime health insurance. After the uproar they pleaded with Blanco to veto the bill and she did. Hey, they forgot to read it before voting.

roux on June 25, 2008 at 4:08 PM

roux, I don’t remember that, I’ll have to look it up. Goes to the mindset, though… they’re like two year olds, testing, testing, to see how far they can go.

Laura on June 25, 2008 at 4:17 PM

Those updates are interesting. I has no idea the ethics reform was a “sham.” Or that La. denziens think Jindal has been a disappointment. Oh well.

VolMagic on June 25, 2008 at 4:48 PM

I think at this point Jindal’s popularity is more important than his agenda. If the legislature tries to fight back against his agenda because they didn’t get a pay raise, then the anger would be aimed towards them instead of on Jindal and then they would become a little more capitulatory towards him.

Asmodeus on June 25, 2008 at 5:02 PM

I don’t know why Louisiana doesn’t do what the federal and many other state governments do: make pay raises each year automatic and you need to pass a bill each time to prevent them. The US Congress did that a long time ago once they realized that voting themselves pay raises was bad politics. So they went and voted themselves permanent pay raises once and for all. No more bills to pass/sign unless they want to actively block a pay raise.

crosspatch on June 25, 2008 at 9:17 PM

As we sit recall petitions are going out against some very strong conservative legislators. However, they need something like 1/3 of the registered voters in a district to sign the petitions to get recalled.

Liberal MSM like the Times-Picayune newspaper are the one yelling the loudest. There is not that much outcry going on in Baton Rouge among the populace or the local talk radio WJBO, I can assure you of that.

The legislature has not gotten an increase since 1980, and they passed raises (finally) for everyone else employed and/or funded by the state in the last few years BEFORE they passed one for themselves. This may all be a moot point as the pay raise taking effect now may be unconstitional by the state.

FYI the legislators have been in session for about 6 months this year and we all know that there is work to do out in their districts all for what 30 something thousand a year and no more free rides on the backs of the lobbyists!

Kermit on June 25, 2008 at 10:00 PM

Kermit, I”M doing a heck of a lot of yelling, and I’m extremely conservative. And there is a huge voter outcry – I’ve got the database to prove it; people have been signing up like mad. I’ve got people in Shreveport and Alexandria wanting to charter buses to come down for the rally; I’m helping coordinate their efforts.

The lege has had numerous increases since 1980, just not in the base pay. But mileage, per diems, benefits and perqs have been increased repeatedly, and the average lege takes home about $35,000 dollars, NOT COUNTING benefits like taxpayers paying up to $740 of their family’s health insurance and college scholarships at Tulane and a lot more. They are VERY well compensated which is why they did everything but sell their grandmother to get those jobs.

As for them being in session longer than they would like, they submitted over 2000 bills just this session, most of which were garbage and just excuses to rack up per diems. The Sazerac bill? Please… baseball games DURING session while a child support bill was being debated… I don’t care who you are, that’s arrogant and shameless.

The rest of us have to manage our time at work and set priorities, and so does the lege. They are a part time legislature according to our constitution. We do not want or need a full time political class, and they need to quit screwing around and stick to doing only the necessary work of the state.

Laura on June 25, 2008 at 11:05 PM

Interestingly, Laura, Speaker Jim Tucker supposedly blinked and handed Bobby an out. According to Tucker, Bobby’s agenda won’t suffer any repercussions should Bobby veto SB672 – a bill that will take effect on July 1 of this year.

What has a lot of us riled is the sheer hypocrisy of it all. Bobby took full credit for Buddy Shaw’s noble attempt to repeal the Stelly Bill. The Shaw bill (SB87), in its pure form, would have given us a sensible income tax cut, July 1. Thanks to Bobby’s machinations, we won’t get that cut until it’s reelection time, unless we’re alert enough to ask for withholding changes come January. Nevertheless, how could Bobby not have known that we were watching and knew full-well that he and his proxies were heavy-handedly trying to stop Buddy’s bill cold? Gotta have that revenue, huh, Bobby?

Then, there was breaking the spending cap…

I’ve known Bobby well for years – faults and all. However, I and others, who know him equally well, never expected to be so highly insulted.

Aunt B on June 26, 2008 at 12:02 PM

Yes, the lege is practically begging him to veto it now, because they know that’ll make it all go away. All they’ll need is to do is wait out another season of American Idol and all will be forgotten, if not forgiven. If he doesn’t veto it, they’re toast and they know it.

I heard that the rationale for delaying the Stelly repeal was because it’s too hard to change tax rates mid-year. (so Bobby should have said, make it retroactive already!! :-) ) But I’m told he has a bit of a pattern of taking credit for popular bills that he didn’t initially back. I was a huge Jindal supporter when he was in the House, but I’m disappointed in him as Gov.

Laura on June 26, 2008 at 12:48 PM