Three women for McCain

posted at 9:45 am on June 23, 2008 by Ed Morrissey

Politico profiles what David Paul Kuhn sees at the three most likely choices for John McCain’s running mate if he decides to add a woman to the ticket.  Kay Bailey Hutchison, Carly Fiorina, and Sarah Palin have all been mentioned in connection with the VP search, but all three present difficulties for McCain:

While the vice presidential slot may be John McCain’s best means of wooing those Hillary Rodham Clinton supporters who remain loath to embrace Barack Obama, the Republican party is a thin source of politically viable women, leaving McCain with few top-tier options.

The most-mentioned potential running mates — former Republican candidate and Massachusetts Gov. Mitt Romney, Louisiana Gov. Bobby Jindal and Minnesota Gov. Tim Pawlenty — are all men. Yet no clear front-runner has emerged, and there are at least three women McCain might select to fill out the ticket. All three would mark a symbolic turn away from Vice President Dick Cheney, the ultimate D.C. old-boys-club insider.

One obvious choice is Secretary of State Condoleezza Rice. She’s as near to Cheney on policy as she is far from him symbolically. Rice, however, has consistently denied interest. While such denials are par for the course for prospective veeps, if Rice is indeed out of the mix, that would leave McCain with three other likely female running mates to consider…

McCain won’t choose Rice, not least because Rice doesn’t want the job, but for two other reasons as well.  Rice has never run for an elective office, and a major-party presidential ticket isn’t a good place to start.  Unlike Barack Obama, Rice has eight years of national-security and foreign-policy experience, but she has no campaigning experience at all.  Besides, McCain won’t want to add to the impression that he’s running for a third Bush term.  No Bush administration officials need apply.

The same reasoning leaves Carly Fiorina out as well.  She has plenty of economic experience, but no elective office record.  Her time at Hewlett-Packard was controversial, and her compensation package has already come under attack by the Obama campaign.  With McCain already stepping on his tongue over his “unconscionable profits” remark, Fiorina would only add fuel to that fire.  She can work much more effectively as a close adviser and perhaps as a potential Cabinet member in a McCain administration.

Hutchison and Palin both have experience on the campaign trail and have proven themselves winners.  However, Hutchison isn’t a very palatable choice to social conservatives thanks to her moderate stances on abortion and stem cell research, and she doesn’t have any executive or foreign-policy experience.  She can deliver Texas, but as Jazz Shaw notes, if McCain’s worried about that, then the VP selection is pretty much academic.

That leaves Palin.  Alaska should be a slam-dunk for the GOP too, so she wouldn’t bring anything in terms of geography.  However, Palin has executive experience, and that comes as a reformer in the wild-and-porky Alaskan political realm.  Some will say that she has little foreign-policy experience, but as the only state that borders two foreign nations and is isolated from the rest of the nation by one of them, Palin has to work in that arena on some level in order to govern Alaska. She has sterling social-con credentials and a compelling life story.  The only drawback will be the limited time she has served in executive office — just under two years — but that still beats the Democratic presidential nominee, and unlike Obama, she has an actual track record of reform and taking on her own party to get it.

Palin may still be something of a long shot for the slot.  However, if McCain wants to make a big splash — and with Obama’s considerable PR talents, he will need one — Palin may make an excellent choice.

Update: Wise words from James Joyner:

Palin would be my initial favorite if forced to chose from among these three candidates. But, surely, there are better choices? Going the extra mile to look at women and minority candidates makes sense; picking a weak candidate simply to fill a quota, however, does not.

I think Palin does more than fill a quota, especially on right-to-life and reform issues.  However, I’d like to see the strongest candidate fill this slot more than worry about identity politics.  If that’s Palin, then great — but let it be on that basis.  We’ve seen what identity politics has done for the Democrats this year.

Besides, Palin is still a vast improvement over the Democratic VP choice in 2004, who had only three years experience in the Senate and no other political experience at all.  And John Edwards may yet be available for Obama this year.

Comments

Big S on June 23, 2008 at 12:50 PM

Nope no links, but I answered two different comments! Ugh… how frustrating!

upinak on June 23, 2008 at 12:51 PM

If you don’t know what I’m talking about, you should do more research; it’s not that hard to find.

Except even that little misstep (and in the grand scheme of things, that’s all it was) makes her look like Julius Caesar compared to how it had been run previously. By the Alaska Republican establishment, natch.

Purple Fury on June 23, 2008 at 12:53 PM

Just because Hutchinson didn’t flip flop or was against McCain-Kennedy doesn’t mean her position on immigration is one to be admired.

Of course her website is not going to list her as “soft on immigration” or “serial flip-flopper of the McCain\Kerry mold”….not that McCain is as bad as Kerry.

m0nkeyb0y on June 23, 2008 at 12:53 PM

If it is Fiorina, I sure hope they dont put eye makeup on her like they do at MSNBC. She’s appeared on there several times for interviews, and the makeup was so garish she looked like a clown. No doubt they got a big laugh out of that backstage by goofing on the evil Republican.

gxpgxp on June 23, 2008 at 12:55 PM

Big S….

You mean this

I’m sure HA readers will find so many horrible facts they will abandon Palin before I finish typing.

Limerick on June 23, 2008 at 12:56 PM

Big S on June 23, 2008 at 12:49 PM

Big concerning you comment on the agriculture board. Well that is a tricky one. It was also due to gouging the heck out of the Dairy Farmers. You can’t tax a farm when they are producing, especially up here. We have lost our oldest business due to mis-representaion of these people who didn’t care if it cost 3.00 a gallon for milk or 6.00 as it is now. I miss the dairy, it had the best milk, cheese, and dairy products I have ever had… and it was fresh unlike what we have to buy now. I have stopped buying most dairy products. Also some of the old board were part of the Lucerne group out of Washington, huge stock holders. Makes you wonder who was trying to do the right thing even if it did get shut down.
But the good news is that the farmers who were pushed out are coming back with their own Dairy. Making Cheddar (which is AWESOME!) and processing milk that will hopefully be hitting the shelves soon again and I hope will bring down the cost of it up here. Even the villages here are suffering because of the lose of the dairy. Sarah was trying to keep the price down. Even if it didn’t work out, she at least tried.

upinak on June 23, 2008 at 12:58 PM

I agree usually, but I think that in Alaska they’re paying about $18/gallon. *** I think that she can be forgiven for something that she is doing for Alaskans with “government” money. It’s the Alaskan’s money.
melda on June 23, 2008 at 11:42 AM

Remember that Alaska has a weasel deal set up with the oil pipelines. The state makes such a killing on the oil pipeline that it pays an annual distribution to its citizens. It’s like a negative income tax.

Outlander on June 23, 2008 at 12:58 PM

Rice has become a dyed-in-the wool Pali lover.

Stop this stupid affirmative action crap with.

As far as the ladies mentioned,
At least Palin has somewhat of a clue about ANWR drilling and what we need to get our trade surplus down. McCain and the other dwarves don’t seem to have a clue.

I’m quite unimpressed with Hutchinson as a constituent of hers. Too smiley-face and shmoozy with the dems, for my book. If she thinks that there is some kind of “bond” between her and a retarded leftwing screeching freak like Barbara Boxer, then she doesn’t need to be my Senator, imho.

TexasJew on June 23, 2008 at 12:59 PM

Outlander on June 23, 2008 at 12:58 PM

Weasel deal? Not sure I follow that. Are you saying that the people of a State can’t set up their own Constitution?

Limerick on June 23, 2008 at 1:01 PM

To head off the only dirt I have found so far…the ’she smoked marijuana’ issue
Here is her position and statement on that issue

Limerick on June 23, 2008 at 12:34 PM

I’m not voting for anyone that hasn’t smoked mary jane.

LimeyGeek on June 23, 2008 at 1:02 PM

Outlander on June 23, 2008 at 12:58 PM

A Weasel Deal? WTF are you talking about?

Do you know anything about how the “Trans Alaska Pipeline” was set up? I am guessing not. I call it good business and good ideals brought out by the Late Gov. Hammond! Maybe you should look into it before you say anything. I can run circles around you concerning this.

upinak on June 23, 2008 at 1:03 PM

Limerick on June 23, 2008 at 1:01 PM

Lim, no. What Out is talking about and doesn’t have a clue is what you all know as the Alaska State Permanent Fund Dividened, that Alaskan’s get once a year Every October. Been around since 1981. It is a interest accued Check that every Alaskan gets after living in the State for 2 years.

But not everyone knows how it is run and that is where everyone becomes jealous (in my own opinion) concerning this check that Alaskan’s get.

upinak on June 23, 2008 at 1:05 PM

m0nkeyb0y on June 23, 2008 at 12:53 PM

Your admiration or lack thereof is of no concern to me. My point is to place the facts on the record as far as Hutchison’s stance on immigration and border security is concerned.

Why would her website misrepresent her true position on this matter? Wouldn’t that be a very foolish thing for her to do. If you believe that than surely you are willing to go back thru her archives on her position and match that to her votes on this issue to prove she being deceitful.

Texas Gal on June 23, 2008 at 1:06 PM

upinak on June 23, 2008 at 1:05 PM

How much is the check for? $1000?

LimeyGeek on June 23, 2008 at 1:08 PM

TexasJew on June 23, 2008 at 12:59 PM

ANWR and Offshore is something that the State does up here without a whole bunch of knowledge from the outside. As you and I both know and understand. Yet ask anyone about ANWR and most will say it has trees. **sighs**

upinak on June 23, 2008 at 1:08 PM

How much is the check for? $1000?

LimeyGeek on June 23, 2008 at 1:08 PM

Well Limey, if you allow me. Let me explain the process.

In the 70’s the TAP (Trans-Alaska Pipeline) started under the Hammond Legislation. Hammond being the forfront of the Alaskan people, thought it wise to have the oil companies give over a large amount of money to the State Government in trust for the Alaska People, since the Oil and Natural Gas belong to the Alaskans.

What he did was institute Economists and other professionals as to what to do with this large amount of cash. They began investing a portion of it onto Stocks, Bonds, and other thigns including Gold. The 3/4th was untouched and put into a fund where they gather interest off it.

Now the money invested was given a 5 yr girth. How they did it was every year, any interest off these Stocks and such was put into another account and left to sit there for 5 yrs. After 5 yrs any interest off that was given back to the people of Alaska.

It changes every year. Last year was 1654.00. It fluxes due to good or bad interests and how the Stock market fluc’s.

here are the links if you would like to know more.

upinak on June 23, 2008 at 1:15 PM

upinak on June 23, 2008 at 1:15 PM

Thank you for that summary :) Sounds like a very equitable solution.

Smoke me a salmon, I’m headed north! ;)

LimeyGeek on June 23, 2008 at 1:19 PM

A Weasel Deal? WTF are you talking about?
Do you know anything about how the “Trans Alaska Pipeline” was set up? I am guessing not. ***
upinak on June 23, 2008 at 1:03 PM

My oh my, I have certainly sparked some controversy here with my choice of phrasing for the Permanent Fund. My apologies. I am agnostic on the propriety of the Permanent Fund and certainly acknowledge it’s validly enacted law. But my underlying point remains the same — when Palin declares a $1,200 payday to Alaskans, it’s not like she’s raiding the state’s education fund or going into debt to get the money. I thought it helpful for people to understand that.

Outlander on June 23, 2008 at 1:20 PM

upinak on June 23, 2008 at 1:15 PM

I’ve been trying to talk the Mrs into an Alaskan end-of-trail home for a few years. She loves cash. You might have just given me the key to her heart! :)

Limerick on June 23, 2008 at 1:22 PM

Palin has more executive experience than Obama.

Palin used milder drugs than Obama – Palin pot, Obama “a little blow”

Palin can beat Obama in one-on-one basketball. And bowling. And hunting. And…

faraway on June 23, 2008 at 1:24 PM

Outlander on June 23, 2008 at 1:20 PM

Ok, the bar tabs on me. (I often find myself typing something that confuses the hell out of the boards. I blame it on my parents)

Limerick on June 23, 2008 at 1:24 PM

Outlander on June 23, 2008 at 1:20 PM

No you don’t understand. This isn’t part of the PFD interest. This is off the other interest via the Oil/NG and Pipeline. Usually they spend it on some stupid project. But palin hasn’t been spending this money and with the cost of Natural Gas, Fuel Oil, Diesel and Gasoline going up… she is giving back. If Gas goes to 4.50 a gallon I will not be able to drive my truck much more then 3 days a week. That will suck in the winter for sure!

But the 1200 can be used by everyone for heat at least. Unfortunately the NG Comps have taxed us to death and it is becoming harder to heat the houses. I will be honest when i put my temp gauge at 64 and froze my butt off this winter even with adding layers. Being an Alaska can suck, but none of us should freeze to death! And Sarah know that. If people don’t use it for Fuel or save it for Heat… then they don’t deserve it.

upinak on June 23, 2008 at 1:25 PM

LimeyGeek on June 23, 2008 at 1:19 PM
Limerick on June 23, 2008 at 1:22 PM

Alaska is harsher then you think. If you have been in upper MN area, or MI, that is very much like Alaska without the humidity and it can stay much colder. Weeks is usually how it works.

I have noticed a HUGE influx of people from the Lower 48 lately. I saw 3 California plates (I wish they would go away honestly) 1 KY, 1 Maine, 2 Montana, and 3 Minnesota. that was all today driving to work …. 15 minute drive. I know why they are here and it is because of NO State taxes. But we are taxed on everything else from cars to houses. 3500 for a 2000 sq ft house is nothing, but next year we expect it to be about 5000K. The lot isn’t that big either and it is an old house.

If Anchorag and the Cook Inlet area and Fairbanks doesn’t see a spur line off the Natural Gas Pipeline… people will start to leave again. It will be the second worst bubble bust in Alaska’s history and it will because we can’t afford to live here.

upinak on June 23, 2008 at 1:32 PM

upinak on June 23, 2008 at 1:32 PM

We have no state income tax in Texas either, and my property tax rate is about what yours is (2000 sq was $4200). Cold, that is the true problem with my wife. Me, I could deal with it. I seriously doubt I’ll get her up there and I can’t see trading her in for two grizzlies anyway.

Limerick on June 23, 2008 at 1:36 PM

Limerick on June 23, 2008 at 1:36 PM

i fyou do decide to “go for the cabin spread” go with Soldotna/Kenai area. Low prop taxes, small city sales tax and it is small-ish!

upinak on June 23, 2008 at 1:38 PM

upinak on June 23, 2008 at 1:38 PM

Thanks! I’ll do a net search!

Limerick on June 23, 2008 at 1:40 PM

Alaska is harsher then you think

I actually know Alaska very well – its environment, anyway ;)

I’m only kidding about moving there. I like warmth. I’d love to spend some weeks hunting there!

LimeyGeek on June 23, 2008 at 1:51 PM

Palin’s “lack” of experience with Washington insiders is a plus in my eyes. Her experience as an executive is clear. Isn’t her popularity in the 80s – 90s?

WWIII on June 23, 2008 at 1:52 PM

Isn’t her popularity in the 80s – 90s?

Isn’t her popularity measured in inches?

LimeyGeek on June 23, 2008 at 1:53 PM

Limerick on June 23, 2008 at 11:17 AM

Yeah been reading up on her. Ok so she might be a little too tough on the pro-life side for me but I dont know that for a fact. Even if she is I’d rather her be too far on that side than pro-choice side. Anyone know if she is against abortion in every case? i.e. rape incest at any time after conception etc?

Against gay marriage which is a knock on her imo, but.. she is for giving same sex couples equal rights which I believe is only fair.

Pro gun is a nice plus.

If she’s fiscally conservative I’m all over it.

Dash on June 23, 2008 at 1:58 PM

Limerick on June 23, 2008 at 12:56 PM

Wow, that’s exactly the kind of leadership we need these days. I’m so sick of the little games people play to make it impossible to get anything done.

We need someone to have the gumballs to just fire people who mess around at the expense of taxpayers. With only 5% unemployment someone else will fill the jobs. Ok I know this is vague…

NTWR on June 23, 2008 at 2:00 PM

If she’s fiscally conservative I’m all over it.

Dash on June 23, 2008 at 1:58 PM

Sarah is anti abortion, but I have never heard her on incest or rape (which is huge up here and very sad). I would assume she would give those who have had this happen to them the choice.

And Sarah is very fiscally conservative. With actually look at what the legislation proposes here in Alaska and cut anything that looks fishy or without warrent.

WWIII on June 23, 2008 at 1:52 PM

Not to sure what you mean by that. She is popular now.

upinak on June 23, 2008 at 2:01 PM

LimeyGeek on June 23, 2008 at 1:51 PM

Are you a biologist? Am I think wrong person?

upinak on June 23, 2008 at 2:02 PM

Are you a biologist? Am I think wrong person?

upinak on June 23, 2008 at 2:02 PM

No. Just someone with plenty of ‘horses-mouth’ exposure to life & work in Alaska, together with a personal interest in studying the region. I’m a long-time hunting and survival ‘expert’ (I guess), so Alaska is a holy grail for me ;)

Never had the time or bucks before to fulfill my daydreams though….but I will.

LimeyGeek on June 23, 2008 at 2:09 PM

Sarah? Me likey.

LtE126 on June 23, 2008 at 2:09 PM

Never had the time or bucks before to fulfill my daydreams though….but I will.

LimeyGeek on June 23, 2008 at 2:09 PM

And just in case you want to know how much the hunts and such are now… remember how much I said Gas was. Now add it up with your hunt. Thank God I have friends who I don’t have to deal with that and just pay my gas.

LOL, if you are Bear… then come back up and I will take you where NO MAN wants to go. The St. Elias glacier area or the back end of the Chuach Range close out of Valdez.

upinak on June 23, 2008 at 2:13 PM

LOL, if you are Bear

LOL indeed! No, you’re not getting that lucky ;) I’m not Bear…..my wife would like it if I was though!

LimeyGeek on June 23, 2008 at 2:20 PM

I admit that the idea of Nunn debating Palin on foreign and defense policy might be scary – except that, the way these things go, the Veeps will have one debate, and that one debate will have maybe at most a handful of questions, more likely just one question if that, drilling down on any policy intricacies. Plus the expectations game would be entirely in her favor. If she looked serious and backed victory, that would be good enough for now. Probably wouldn’t hurt if somewhere it came up that she happened to have “skin in the game.”

I’m fully aware, however, that, like the vast majority of those commenting on Palin as VP, I’m just dealing in the idea and the image, not anything to be mistaken for meaningful and concrete knowledge about her.

CK MacLeod on June 23, 2008 at 2:39 PM

CK MacLeod on June 23, 2008 at 2:39 PM

I answered your question (I thik) on the other page. It just wouldn’t show for a while. HotAir was eating it.

upinak on June 23, 2008 at 2:43 PM

That is exactly the problem. Evidently your opinion is based on the opinion of pundits and politicians looking to stir up the masses by smearing her.
Texas Gal on June 23, 2008 at 12:44 PM

Texas Gal, How many politicians post unflattering information on their web sites? I am sure you believe all that is printed on BHO’s site right?

It is not a smear to say that KBH was soft on illegal immigration issues prior to 2006 Senate amnesty debacle. She by no means was the only one. I have seen improvements in her stated positions and voting in some cases and will give her credit for that. But not “amnesty” :P

You can track her immigration voting record here. BTW, this is not a link to her website.

brtex on June 23, 2008 at 2:54 PM

brtex on June 23, 2008 at 2:54 PM

It is an untrue statement to say that Hutchison was soft on illegal immigration at any time. Legal immigration and illegal immigration are not the same. NumbersUSA has their own political agenda and is against all immigration, including legal and guest/temporary worker programs. That is how they evaluate their so-called “rating”.

Texas Gal on June 23, 2008 at 3:07 PM

BTW, that is such a silly comparison.

Texas Gal on June 23, 2008 at 3:15 PM

Texas Gal on June 23, 2008 at 3:07 PM

Everything that Kay Bailey Hutchison has ever voted Yes/No or Maybe on.

Voted NO on continuing federal funds for declared “sanctuary cities”. (Mar 2008)
Voted NO on comprehensive immigration reform. (Jun 2007)
Voted YES on declaring English as the official language of the US government. (Jun 2007)
Voted NO on eliminating the “Y” nonimmigrant guestworker program. (May 2007)
Voted YES on building a fence along the Mexican border. (Sep 2006)
Voted NO on establishing a Guest Worker program. (May 2006)
Voted NO on allowing illegal aliens to participate in Social Security. (May 2006)
Voted NO on giving Guest Workers a path to citizenship. (May 2006)
Voted YES on allowing more foreign workers into the US for farm work. (Jul 1998)
Voted YES on visas for skilled workers. (May 1998)
Voted YES on limit welfare for immigrants. (Jun 1997)
Rated 75% by USBC, indicating a sealed-border stance. (Dec 2006)

upinak on June 23, 2008 at 3:18 PM

Palin should be left to do her work in Alaska. She looks to be a real keeper and should be left to build a record that she can later use to run for higher office.

thegreatbeast on June 23, 2008 at 3:18 PM

Whats her story with being anti-drug. That’s kinda worrying me. I mean drugs are bad m’kay but we dont need billions of federal dollars going to pinching the dude who smokes the occasional bowl in his frat house or whatever.

Hell I’d legalize just for the income.

Other than that I’m still liking what I see. (hey now..)

Dash on June 23, 2008 at 3:26 PM

BTW – below I’ve linked a blog run by a Hillarycrat who’s in love with a McCain-Palin ticket. She even has a graphic for it (right column – also a specific post if you scroll down). Instead of linking to her post on Palin, I’m linking to the main address because I think a lot of people here will also enjoy the top post on the response to Obama’s racial fearmongering from Lt. Col Allen West, candidate for Congress in Florida’s 22 District. (BTW, how come I haven’t heard more about this guy? Does he have a shot?)

CK MacLeod on June 23, 2008 at 4:41 PM

I think Sarah Palin would be an excellent choice, but she just recently (April or May) had a baby, who is special needs. I’m pretty sure this is not the year for her on a personal level. Also, if she’s only got two years in office, she should finish out at least one full term before aiming higher. Bobby Jindal is another great candidate who needs to accomplish things in Louisiana before he runs for higher office. Otherwise, he’s not much better than the achievement-free Obama.

doppelganglander on June 23, 2008 at 5:13 PM

Whatever happened to picking the best person for the job? Isn’t choosing a female candidate a form of affirmative action?

cannonball on June 23, 2008 at 10:09 AM

Yes, yes it is.

The best PERSON for the job is Mitt Romney.

It’d just be sweet if the Democrats could continue to freakout with all the stereotypical doodahs and we could win with a “best person for the job” ticket (regardless of gender, race, ethnicity).

The best PERSON for the V.P. slot is Mitt Romney — with Fred Thompson as Secretary of State.

I like the media appeal of Condoleezza Rice but she’s a “pro-choice” person (which is a huge handicap as to Right appeal) AND she hasn’t necessarily accomplished a good record of successes (though she remains exceptionally admirable for service, don’t get me wrong).

S on June 23, 2008 at 5:20 PM

S on June 23, 2008 at 5:20 PM

Mitt Romney huh. Do you really think that Mitt will take the slot after all the campaigning he did to become president? I think not!

upinak on June 23, 2008 at 5:24 PM

I also think that any woman inclined to vote for a woman based on her sex is probably liberal.

BigD on June 23, 2008 at 10:48 AM

I agree.

S on June 23, 2008 at 5:27 PM

Carly Fiorina was a gross failure as a CEO. McCain doesn’t need her advice on anything!

Palin works for me. She has what McCain doesn’t to balance him: youth, government executive experience, small biz entrepreneur experience.

purpleslog on June 23, 2008 at 5:30 PM

upinak on June 23, 2008 at 5:24 PM

I don’t read minds. But as to the V.P. candidate to a McCain Presidential ticket, the unstated but persistent issue for many of us is realistic view of McCain’s age — not saying it’s a handicap, a negative, not at all, I’m just saying that the realistic “insurance” of a great Ticket is an immensely qualified Presidential candidate in the V.P. slot.

Romney’s of the right age, exceptional intellectual and practical abilities that he could assume the Presidency or carry forward with an exceptional Presidency without any hesitation by me as a voter and I venture to guess, by many other voters, too.

And, I’d imagine few people would decline a V.P. offer, including Romney, though that’s my best guess. Those declaring outright that they’re not interested while not having been asked, fine, discount them — accept that they have other plans and wouldn’t contribute any energy to the V.P. job if named and elected, if they’re disinterested now — but when successful individuals have not declared disinterest, it’s reasonable to consider them.

My preference as a voting Republican would be a McCain/Romney ticket.

S on June 23, 2008 at 5:33 PM

My preference as a voting Republican would be a McCain/Romney ticket.

S on June 23, 2008 at 5:33 PM

As I could care less if they are Republican as long as they are a conservative.

He is not that person. Sorry!

upinak on June 23, 2008 at 5:37 PM

S:

Strong argument.

Won’t bring McCain any new votes, though.

Purple Fury on June 23, 2008 at 5:37 PM

Palin or Romney, in my view, are the two front runners for the VP. I’d love either one.

Vanceone on June 23, 2008 at 12:02 PM

I think that makes an excellent ticket for 2012 (Romney/Palin ’12).

S on June 23, 2008 at 5:42 PM

As I could care less if they are Republican as long as they are a conservative.

He is not that person. Sorry!

upinak on June 23, 2008 at 5:37 PM

And your misnomers are exactly why Obama’s running amok with the nation’s alleged “independents” right now, also Barr attracting some.

I’ve discussed and read rants from some as to “Romney’s not a Conservative” and they never make any sense other than to try and associate him wrongly with issues misperceived and misrepresented by his critics.

I like Romney, I’d vote for him in a minute and nary a more Conservative person will you find than me.

Unlike some, however, I take the time to listen to the full statements of people and try to understand their decisions on positions in government. Romney won an election in one of the most Left states in our nation, and he did so as a Republican, and, he made decisions there to the maximization of Conservative principles among an extremely Left state legislature. Compare him to, say, Schwarzenegger who faces the same general conditions politically as did Romney, and Romney far exceeded Schwarzenegger in remaining true to “moderate” views — Schwarzenegger ranges Left and tries to rationalize that as being “Republican” in comparison.

Anyway, Palin is supportable, I agree but I think she doesn’t match as well with McCain in this election UNLESS one is Liberal and voting by gender/race/sexual preference and needs a female to token-up to the Left.

Jindal, Palin, these are young and rising politicians from the Right and deserve our support and admiration but I would not feel nearly as confident in a McCain Presidency this year and the near-years without a more experienced mind and careerist in the V.P. slot (point I tried making earlier).

We’re talking about the Presidency here. If you’re keen on inexperience, vote for Obama. Me, I’m concerned about the nation today and I think it’s smarter to choose and then support the smartest, keenest, most talented, academically astute and personable we can find. That’s Romney.

If you want a V.P. who plays basketball and “looks hot,” then, well…those are your options. Me, I’m thinking about the daily grind involved and would want someone who has proven they’ve got guts, can and will provide complex solutions to complex problems AND do that with a great degree of conscience. Thus, again, Romney’s that person, in my view.

Crist, well, I just don’t see the point.

S on June 23, 2008 at 5:52 PM

If you want a V.P. who plays basketball and “looks hot,”

Bullshit. She’s considerably more substantial than that.

Purple Fury on June 23, 2008 at 6:00 PM

Won’t bring McCain any new votes, though.

Purple Fury on June 23, 2008 at 5:37 PM

Point taken and considered.

BUT…a lot of Romney supporters were very turned off by the assault on the Romney’s-a-Mormon denigration during the months past, when competing for the Party nom., to such an extent that it showed a lower side of the Right than some of us had earlier anticipated existed.

I’m not a Mormon, by the way, but am a Catholic and I think Romney’s a moral person, perhaps moreso moral than most in politics and after reading of Huckabee’s guy, Ed Rollins, say he wanted to “knock his teeth in” (as to Romney’s teeth), I actually spent more than a few days/nights considering changing registration to “Independent” in disgust.

A lot of voters I interacted with who supported Romney felt the same. So, although your point is taken, I think that Romney as V.P. could, in fact, bring more votes from more sensible Conservatives to McCain, who at this point, continue to “look for a reason to believe.” I’m voting Republican this Fall, make no mistake. I’m just trying to encourage others to look ahead, and beyond certain assumptions that aren’t entirely well thought out, that prevent us moving forward here.

If the V.P. (and Presidency) is about who can do the best job in the job, then I’ll go with Romney as V.P. and probable, likely President afterward.

S on June 23, 2008 at 6:00 PM

Bullshit. She’s considerably more substantial than that.

Purple Fury on June 23, 2008 at 6:00 PM

Of course it’s not “bullshit.” Yes, Palin’s “substantially more than that” BUT her appeal (here, elsewhere) is touted on her appearance and being “hot” (just read the comments here), and basketball-playing ability (I did a Google Image search, got a lot of images of Palin playing basketball — a reasonable glimpse into the general mind of the public on the internet and in the media) (though I recognize that this is an attribute of hers, I’m just saying, I’d like to be reading more substance from supporters other than “she’s hot” and plays basketball).

I agree she’s a supportable Conservative. She doesn’t yet have as much length of service in politics, so, as long as there are options, I’m looking elsewhere (IF there’s an option for more talent, more proven ability, I’ll support that, in other words).

She certainly poses a great future for Conservative voters. I’m not sure I’d be willing to enthuse about her liklihood in the Presidency, however, in the coming near years and any V.P. to McCain will be in the V.P. job with that understanding, even if it’s not being discussed (the awareness is there).

S on June 23, 2008 at 6:05 PM

Crist, well, I just don’t see the point.

S on June 23, 2008 at 5:52 PM

You are a complete female bigot. You don’t like anything but men running the country… admit it!

Well news for you sweatheart. I am female and I am totally for Sarah to do it. As Romney has misnomers on how he has run his State and how it is failing, Sarah hasn’t had that issue yet and is still having it run strong WITHOUT taxing the People of Alaska.

If it bothers you that women play “Basketball” or “Fish and Hunt” you are seriously talking to the WRONG person as well as the fact I am an Alaskan.

BTW I did vote for Romney when Fred was pulled off the ticket up here. But as I said, he won’t run for VEEP. That would be a blow to his ego as much as anyone else. Sarah on the other hand could run and sit quietly in the background. As she has international knowledge and understands people.

Other then the fact that Mccain keeps changing his Policies, Sarah hasn’t. Romney hasn’t said much if anything concerning what has gone on the last month or so. If he was even in the same mind set, he would expressing his opinion… not hiding in the shadows.

upinak on June 23, 2008 at 6:07 PM

upinak on June 23, 2008 at 3:18 PM

Thanks upinak. However, I doubt it will stop the untrue accusations about where Hutchison stands on the issue of border security and path to citizenship. I’m very frustrated by it as you can tell. I think that Hutchison deserves better than she gets from the Republican constituency … and not only in Texas.

Texas Gal on June 23, 2008 at 6:08 PM

Texas Gal on June 23, 2008 at 6:08 PM

Texasgal, as I like Kay as a person… she is still a Senator and right now that is kind of a hinder. People are already leary about that!

upinak on June 23, 2008 at 6:13 PM

Remarkable. I make a serious series of points, you go pejorative without so much as having offered anything substantial before hand.

I’d feel more confident with Romney in the White House, let me put it that way, and Palin in Alaska. I wish her the best, she deserves our support for a bright and brighter future.

But for now, I’d feel more comfortable with a smart guy who knows how to solve complex problems, balance budgets, meet payrolls and write and pass legislation among bitter opponents in the White House, AND, who speaks well in public to the extent that I learn something by listening.

With attitudes and an acid-keyboard like yours, no wonder Conservatives run away from discussions among “the Right.”

I’m just not ready to go teary for a woman just because of her gender. IN my experience, gender/race/ethnicity voting is an incredibly Liberal mindset.

ON AN EXPERIENCE AND QUALIFICATION BASIS, Romney’s the superior candidate. If I was eager to “only” vote “for men,” then I wouldn’t find some of them politically objectionable, now, would I.

S on June 23, 2008 at 6:13 PM

upinak on June 23, 2008 at 6:07 PM

It’s not an indication of “smart” to remain talking just to fill the air and take-up calendar space. Romney’s been and is a busy man, busy raising money for the GOP and gathering support for a McCain ticket. That “speaks” a lot.

S on June 23, 2008 at 6:15 PM

Well news for you sweatheart. I am female – upinak

Who cares what your gender is? Did I or anyone else ask? What relevance does your gender have here? Or with me, for that matter.

I’m not your “sweetheart.” Talk like yours fulfills the negative stereotypes about “female hystrionics.”

So, good luck in Alaska and calm down.

S on June 23, 2008 at 6:18 PM

We must be reading different blogs. You occasionally get the “hot” or GILF comment here, but I can’t recall a single remark (at HotAir) about her playing basketball, unless it was to point out her nickname (Sarah Barracuda). In any case, all of that is icing on the cake. If that’s all there was to her, she wouldn’t have been elected in the first place, let alone have approval ratings in the 80s and 90s. Overwhelmingly people like her because she’s:

Pro-life
Pro-2nd amendment
Pro-ethics reform
Pro-drilling in ANWR

She hunts, fishes, flies her own float plane, has a son in the military, and in her spare time, it seems, took on the Republican establishment in AK and had them for lunch. She’s a breath of fresh air in a party that sorely needs it this election year.

So she’s hot and plays basketball, too?

Where do I sign?

Purple Fury on June 23, 2008 at 6:27 PM

For those of you concerned about Mrs. Palin’s lack of experience, just remember, she has more experience than Obama.

If anyone on the Dem side would like to bring up her experience, well, she’s ready.

Obama and Palin are experienced enough to be VP.

faraway on June 23, 2008 at 6:36 PM

upinak on June 23, 2008 at 6:13 PM

Just to be clear, I’m not promoting Hutchison for the VP spot. I’m actually against it. I don’t want her to be put in a position to compromise her integrity and anyone in that position is going to have to not only go along but also outwardly support McCain’s platform.

I’m just sick and tired of the smear of her reputation by and among Republicans (conservatives told me so therefore it must be true) and those who have their own agenda to stir up the natives (NumbersUSA) for their cause by misrepresenting her position and her record. They are good at it though, I’ll give that credit. But anyone who knows anything about Hutchison surely ought to question when they hear such things that are totally out of character for her and make an effort to find out for themselves.

Texas Gal on June 23, 2008 at 6:43 PM

S on June 23, 2008 at 6:18 PM

I can’t believe it too you three comments to get that all out.

Get a grip! Mitt can farm all he wants and tax the hell out of his State, I hope you enjoy it if you live there. At least Sarah hasn’t screwed over the Alaskans!

If you can’t deal with the hard truth, then you seriously need a dose of reality. Sarah would eat Mitt up in a hard beat and spit him out! She did it to Murkowski Sr., she sure as heck can do it to Mitt!

Mitt has started with bankrupting a State. How “honorable” is that? Especially if it was suppose to be for health insurance. Conservative my butt! That man is a walking tragedy for the country. I don’t want Federalized Healthcare!

upinak on June 23, 2008 at 6:46 PM

Texas Gal on June 23, 2008 at 6:43 PM

I understand you. It is annoying… as someone on this blog is doing to Palin right now. So you and I at least understand that a smear is one thing, but the truth is another.

upinak on June 23, 2008 at 6:49 PM

We’ve seen what identity politics has done for the Democrats this year.

Gotten them a candidate who will get more free “historic” press and support than Neil Armstrong?

Dash on June 23, 2008 at 6:58 PM

I’m sure that there is something that Palin has done that wasn’t completely conservative. That will give the anti-McCain Republican contingent another reason to sit this one out and let Obama win.

exhelodrvr on June 23, 2008 at 8:26 PM

here’s another thing she does well

patrick neid on June 23, 2008 at 9:50 PM

upinak on June 23, 2008 at 6:49 PM

I don’t denigrate Palin, YOU do. Your crude nastiness and harsh irrational sandox catfighting is what does indiviuals like Palin in, not someone (me) trying to write about issues.

Write under your actual identity. It’d be refreshing to read more self responsibility from you.

I like Palin, I just don’t care for your personal attacks under ruse of doing anything but damage to Palin and other Republicans.

S on June 24, 2008 at 1:15 PM

exhelodrvr on June 23, 2008 at 8:26 PM

I’d vote for Palin if she was on the ticket. I’d vote for Jindal if he was, too. I’d vote for Romney, I’d vote for Thompson, I will vote for McCain despite me not regarding him as my favorite for President.

I PREFER that Palin and Jindal have more time in office (where they currently are) to improve those states and conditions, just like I think Jeff Sessions (who’d be wonderful in the Presidency) is doing the most good in the Senate (which doesn’t mean I don’t think he’d do wonderfully in the White House, but that he’s needed in the Senate, and same with Palin and Jindal in their respective current offices held).

S on June 24, 2008 at 1:19 PM

Dash on June 23, 2008 at 6:58 PM

That is sad!

upinak on June 24, 2008 at 1:33 PM

S on June 24, 2008 at 1:15 PM

you are the one being crude. I told you that Mitt doesn’t have a chance and you took offense.

Please stop while you are ahead!

upinak on June 24, 2008 at 1:35 PM