Palin sends letter to Harry Reid: Start drilling in ANWR

posted at 8:48 pm on June 23, 2008 by Allahpundit

No, it won’t provide short-term relief, a point Palin is astute enough in her letter to concede but Maverick, to his peril, is not. But so what? The name of the game is long-term planning: Petroleum isn’t going away anytime soon so let’s get cracking on exploiting what we have as a parallel track to developing alternatives. It’s not either/or, a point McCain’s new energy ad strives to make clear.

I don’t know if she sent the letter at his behest or on her own initiative, but if you’re a charismatic young governor looking to use a hot button to raise your profile, there are worse moves you can make than this.

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2 3

Santa Barbara one of the most exclusive areas to live on the West Coast

There was an oil spill off the coast of Santa Barbara, hence the reference.

bayam on June 24, 2008 at 5:03 PM

No your reference was to economic disaster, what economic disaster befell Santa Barbara?…besides some major corporations moving out because of high corporate taxes.
In the past 10 years SB outpaced probably 80% of the nation in economic increase, quality of living has to be at the top 5% in the nation…looks like oil is good thing.

right2bright on June 24, 2008 at 5:19 PM

Umm the formatting on thos page looks messed up..

Chakra Hammer on June 24, 2008 at 5:22 PM

Rose on June 24, 2008 at 5:14 PM

I guess Bayam is trying to make out the small Oil Spill in SB was suppose to rival Alaska’s. I am not sure but it’s arguement is pitiful!

upinak on June 24, 2008 at 5:22 PM

I can actually see a Palin/Jindal in the future….

upinak on June 24, 2008 at 5:08 PM

I would love that.

I just don’t want her rep burdened with a McCain defeat, or a pathetic McCain presidency. It’s a lose-lose for her.

Redhead Infidel on June 24, 2008 at 5:29 PM

Actually, I think Palin would overshadow McCain and if McCain loses she will have attained name recognition at the national level. I don’t think it would taint her. And if they won she would be set up to run for president eventually.

Rose on June 24, 2008 at 5:33 PM

Redhead Infidel on June 24, 2008 at 5:29 PM

I don’t know. Some people can make the best of anything our of any situation. Sarah sure has in many cases.

You never know with circumstances and the future.

upinak on June 24, 2008 at 5:39 PM

I agree with the posts noting that even the suggestion we might open ANWR will drive speculators to short sell, figuring that the ride is over and add’l production will come aboard soon. I also agree we need to buy ourselves some ‘domestic cushion’ until alternatives can be developed that are cost-effective. I bought stock in this company for just that reason: originoil.com. We can brew algae like we brew beer (albeit faster!) and process it on site into usable fuels. Anyone like that idea? No one has a monopoly on algae! :)

Biffstir on June 24, 2008 at 5:57 PM

And btw, I went to school at UCSB: there’s oil tar all over the beaches there, moreso than there would be after a spill & subsequent clean-up with today’s technology. I’m not mad at the gold coast residents who don’t want to look at anymore oil platforms off the coastline (there are already about 50!) but if we replaced what’s there with updated platforms, I bet we’d get a lot more oil more efficiently.

Biffstir on June 24, 2008 at 5:59 PM

Biffstir on June 24, 2008 at 5:59 PM

Here let me help you. WAAA.

SB have a pretty damn pristine beach and you have to dig about a foot deep to get to even some of the oil and that it is not conciderable. The Oil slick that came ashore was already deteriorating before it hit. So most of it was a lumpy mess that didn’t stick all that well and the sand that was touched by the oil was burned. I have been there on vacation.

Now if you go to Valdez, dig 2 inches under any of the dirt, rocks etc. You find oil and a heavy amount of it.

And I really don’t think you know how much it cost to construct a platform. Especially a new one. Please go ask a Oil Company or a Company who owns the Rig to make a few news ones, for the simple fact of beautification to a coast line and watch their reaction.

upinak on June 24, 2008 at 6:23 PM

I didn’t live here then so I looked up the oil spill. It was pretty bad, but that was forty years ago. Has technology improved enough to make this less likely? There hasn’t been an oil spill in this area since. Is it safe now?

Rose on June 24, 2008 at 6:28 PM

Concise and straight to the point. That lady makes me tingle.

steadyrock on June 24, 2008 at 6:28 PM

Biffstir,

lived in SB for 21 years. Rents are too high, and I lived in a run down old shanty in Isla Vista. all the nice festivals like Solstice Parade are cool and all that. Yep walked Coal Oil Point many times, came home with tar all over my feet, vegetable oil removes most of it. Many places along the Ellwood Mesa have tar and oil seeping up through the ground. Don’t know if you remember that??? Every time I saw one of those tar oil seeps I would sing the Beverley Hills song to myself and think of Jed Clampett.

pabo on June 24, 2008 at 6:30 PM

Rose on June 24, 2008 at 6:28 PM

This says 17,650 total bbl spilled from Katrina and Rita.

misterpeasea on June 24, 2008 at 6:45 PM

Biffstir on June 24, 2008 at 5:59 PM

Please, do a little research. Oil has been seeping up from Oceanside to Morrow Bay for tens of thousands of years. The California Indians used it everyday. You weren’t stepping in “oil spill”.
In the 50′s you couldn’t walk around Huntington Beach or Tin Can Beach (Bolsa Chica now) without having your feet covered with tar. Since the oil has been pumped and replaced with sea water there is not as much seepage now.

ftp://ftp.consrv.ca.gov/pub/oil/publications/TR53.pdf

right2bright on June 24, 2008 at 7:09 PM

right2bright on June 24, 2008 at 7:09 PM

Gotta love it when people blame natural occurances. :)

upinak on June 24, 2008 at 7:13 PM

right2bright on June 24, 2008 at 7:09 PM

Gotta love it when people blame natural occurances. :)

upinak on June 24, 2008 at 7:13 PM

Yeah, those “Valdez” Indians were a mess…

right2bright on June 24, 2008 at 7:28 PM

Rose on June 24, 2008 at 6:28 PM

Safe enough for Oprah…If you had $10 million you could probably pick up a fixer-upper along the beach.

right2bright on June 24, 2008 at 7:31 PM

The prices in this area are ridiculous anyway. We bought a fixer upper in Camarillo in ’94 for $188,000. Two years ago it was worth over $600,000. Prices have gone down but it is still valued at $500,000. It’s nuts. I worry about how my kids are going to afford houses. Sorry, it’s off topic, but apparently the oil spill up the coast hasn’t hurt this area’s home values.

Rose on June 24, 2008 at 8:06 PM

right2bright on June 24, 2008 at 7:28 PM

Well the Natives (as they like to be called) had a hard time. But the Chenega Corp is actually the last remaining of their village. The first tome something “happened” the 64 earthquake tsunami, wiped them out pretty good. Then illness and such, then the Valdez Oil Spill just killed everything else.

For 40 people to come out of that into a fotune 500 company, is pretty damn impressive. Chenega is one of the few Corps that does base security all over the world. They are a very laid out and planned organization. Even if they are Native Pref.

upinak on June 24, 2008 at 11:11 PM

I watched some of the clips of the Sacramento Town Hall that McCain did recently (one of the previous posters provided a link). I was pleasantly surprised to see how well McCain handled all of the questions that came out of nowhere. He doesn’t vet the audience first, unlike the Dem events. Except for comprehensive immigration reform, which he did say does have to be dealt with AFTER the borders are secure and NOT put any legal immigrants back in the line behind the illegal ones, everything he said, I pretty much agreed with. EGADS, McCain might be growing on me.

We need to focus on the local races and get as many conservatives in Congress as possible to prevent EITHER party candidate for President from taking our country in the wrong direction. I donated to the PA politican running against that idiot in PA who smeared the marines (Murtha). I also saw a guy named Steve Beren on FoxNews who is trying to unseat Jim McDermitt (that guy is a pox on our nation). I also donated to his campaign, too. I am trying to do this for the local elections, rather than give money to the party at the national level and have them waste it on RINOS.

karenhasfreedom on June 25, 2008 at 1:18 AM

karenhasfreedom on June 25, 2008 at 1:18 AM

Exactly right!!! Just sent money to two proven-conservative Senatorial candidates: only one of which was from my state. Not a single cent for RNC (Rinos, Not Conservatives).

landlines on June 25, 2008 at 1:52 AM

Start drilling in ANWR.

ANWR – Alaskan Nubile Woman Republican?

misterpeasea on June 25, 2008 at 11:31 AM

karenhasfreedom on June 25, 2008 at 1:18 AM

I think many of us have been saying this all along.

upinak on June 25, 2008 at 12:03 PM

It would seem that at least one thing is hot in Alaska.

lodestonejames on June 25, 2008 at 12:30 PM

Finally a Republican with some balls!

dhunter on June 25, 2008 at 10:34 PM

So she is naughty. Very naughty.

Tim Burton on June 24, 2008 at 1:55 AM

Bad boy!

Jaibones on June 25, 2008 at 11:56 PM

I heard Palin on CNBC while I was channel surfing on my XM radio in the car this evening. She had the balls to call McCain WRONG on drilling in Anwr hehe. Gotta love this gal. She told the CNBC host (7 pm show), that she looks forward to the chance to change his mind on this issue.

I read his speech about getting American energy free from OPEC by 2025. McCain might have accidentally found something that will resonate with most of the voters this fall. He actually hit a triple on this one (a homer would have been drill EVERYWHERE with good care for the environment WHILE drilling). There is hope for him yet.

Now, if we could just get this clown to understand that Americans do not want to reward illegals for breaking the law.

karenhasfreedom on June 26, 2008 at 3:56 AM