Heart-ache: Obama drops presidential seal

posted at 3:50 pm on June 23, 2008 by Allahpundit

Like the man says, he insists on the suppression of ego; he just didn’t realize it might come off as egotistical to debut his very own presidential seal until his friends and allies in the media politely informed him of it. And so under the bus it goes, assuming there’s any room left under there with Wright, Pfleger, Rezko and who knows who else crowded in.

I’ve had my fun with the Obama campaign’s seal, and now that fun ends. I’m told that Obama recognizes that it was a silly mistake, that the universal reaction at Wacker and Michigan was, “Boy, was that dumb,” and that they don’t think the seal staging will matter to actual voters.

Does the press think Obama is arrogant? Yes. Does the seal represent arrogance? Only tangentially, actually. The worry for Obama’s image managers is that it gives the press a pretext to call Obama arrogant, an example for them to add to a list of arrogant moments, and a way to distract them from what Obama is saying.

By “pretext” I assume he means “credible reason.” Ken Wheaton from AdAge is also hearing that the seal’s been dropped, which I guess means this kerfuffle is officially over. Or is it?

Update: Whom does Bob Beckel blame? Chuck Todd and the rest of the press corps who pleaded with St. Barack to straighten up and retire this abortion? Of course not.

“The right wing bloggers don’t like it but so what? If this is the best they can do against him then he’s a more of a shoo-in than I think he is already,” Beckel said.

Comments

Ego Sum Dominus is more like it.

Buy Danish on June 23, 2008 at 5:54 PM

Yep, mastering the bus pretty good. Needs a bigger one, every day.

Entelechy on June 23, 2008 at 6:33 PM

From presumptive nominee to presumptuous nominee.

Little Boomer on June 23, 2008 at 6:40 PM

I’m in a rush. Did anyone make the obvious “Obama’s blown a seal” joke yet?

TexasDan on June 23, 2008 at 6:54 PM

I’m in a rush. Did anyone make the obvious “Obama’s blown a seal” joke yet?

TexasDan on June 23, 2008 at 6:54 PM

No, but RB has a similar mindset.

Obama killed a Baby Seal. So typical.

RushBaby on June 23, 2008 at 3:56 PM

Entelechy on June 23, 2008 at 7:05 PM

I’m still waiting for the biggest blowout when Obama names Biden as his VP candidate because he thinks that he’ll appeal to the Jewish vote.

JAW on June 23, 2008 at 7:12 PM

Obama is a pussy. A dangerous one since so many idiots fawn over him. This is cult of personality and with this much energy he has going, something has to give eventually. He is a dangerous pussy.

carbon_footprint on June 23, 2008 at 7:18 PM

Why shouldn’t the Abraham Lincoln of our times have his own seal? Surely we will not see his like for another 150 years!

argos on June 23, 2008 at 7:28 PM

Any truth to the rumor that as Barry O tossed this thing under the bus, he said:

“This isn’t the seal I used to know.”

?

Anyway, thanks for tossing that Beckel quote in there AP. I actually witnessed it and was annoyed to the point where I actually thought it deserves its own post, but there would be a lot of research needed to accomplish what I had in mind. Basically when hearing/reading:

I’m reminded of something…. I’m reminded of EVERY TIME Beckel opens his mouth. Whenever the latest Obama controversy hits the fan, Beckel is always on Fox to respond, and he always uses this “if this is the best they can do” line. What a dishonest turd. Eventually these things add up Bobbo. I used to respect Beckel (as much as I can expect a liberal talking head), but after the other idiocy where he blamed his own rumor mongering on the “right wing blogs”, and now this repeated “if this is the best ya can do” crap…. ugh, pathetic.

RightWinged on June 23, 2008 at 7:50 PM

I love the sound of faux presidential seal-going-under-the-bus in the morning!

(A raspy, squealing, screeching, irritating, ululating tone, with all the insistence of a bad conscience and a broken tooth. Sweet dreams, busdriver Barry.)

Better sell buttons of THE BLUE SEAL, fast.

(It may be the only thing we remember about BHO, like Dean’s “Gravy Train” bray.)

profitsbeard on June 23, 2008 at 7:51 PM

Geeze, I hope Barney’s bus will make it to Denver.

I have a mental image of an old yellow school bus, flower powered, covered in 60’s era slogans, parked on the side of the freeway with the hood up and steam rising from the engine compartment. Behind the bus is a long line of pedestrians who have been run over by said yellow, flower powered converted school bus.

Prominent on the side of the bus is Barney’s presidential seal and a banner sign proclaiming Obama the next president of the United States. A smaller banner says, “Denver or bust.”

rockhauler on June 23, 2008 at 8:02 PM

Beckel is right about this being the best that we can do. We would have better things to scrutinize if Barry actually had a record to run on.

Greenhorn on June 23, 2008 at 8:08 PM

Aw, man. That sucks.

I wanted him to use it long enough for me to get rich selling t-shirts of Gilda’s version.

Hey! I was gonna pay her royalties.

Anyway, what I find funny is how many on the right still see this tiny tyrant as a formidable foe.

“Judgment.” Okay. let’s even agree for the sake of argument that some staffer–maybe the same one that filled out his questionnaire about guns–got all carried away and ginned that thing up in Photoshop in the wee hours of the morning in a Skittle-fueled daze all by their little old selves. But even if so could we just agree once and for all that any-freaking-body who took one look at that thing and didn’t bust out laughing and chuck it in the nearest dumpster doesn’t have the judgment to get a government job rounding up stray dogs?

He’s not a Lightworker. He’s just a lightweight.

Typhoon on June 23, 2008 at 8:40 PM

Heart-ache: Obama drops presidential seal

Imagine, this arrogant moron having the gall to criticize others.

byteshredder on June 23, 2008 at 10:09 PM

Well there goes the slice of life story on the person who carried the talisman between campaign stops. Damn.

patrick neid on June 23, 2008 at 10:35 PM

I was amused by His Awesomeness’s blithe arrogance and, firing up my Photoshop, came up with my version of His Awesomeness’s seal, which I entitled “E Platitudes Unum” (“From One, Platitudes”)

I made some other changes, visual metaphors of His Awesomeness’s intentions for America, if-GOD FORBID!-the American people go collectively stupid and elect this glib know-nothing:
1. exchanging the word UBER for FOR”, between “Obama for America”;
2. changing the wording in the arch between the Eagle’s wingtips to “E PLATITUDES UNUM” (“From One, Platitudes” :-)
3. removing the clutch of arrows from the American Eagle’s left claw, as Obama would decimate our Armed Forces;
4. inserting a Peace Sign in the circle over the Eagle’s body, symbolizing the hard left peacenik/appeasement worldview of Obama & His Comrades.
If anyone wants a copy of this image, free to do with whatever you want, send me an email at swiss.admiral at comcast.net

DavePa on June 23, 2008 at 11:33 PM

Somebody’s just gotta do a cartoon of Obamas’ bus. It’d be so jammed packed under there, it would be like one of those Hidden Object games.

Coronagold on June 24, 2008 at 8:03 AM

Any seal that could be tied to the word “possum” is a dumb idea.
It would have helped is someone, anyone, stepped back and said, “this is not a good idea, let’s wait on it”, the mark of having “yes” men around you.

Coronagold on June 24, 2008 at 8:03 AM

Kind of a “where’s Waldo”, where’s the running mate, where’s the cabinet…

right2bright on June 24, 2008 at 8:25 AM

As Commander in Chief would a President Obama would blame a bad military decision on the troops? Seems to me that he would.

baldilocks on June 23, 2008 at 4:18 PM

That alone disqualifies him…
This budget will have to be increased…
Obama’s updated bus
Obama’s new bus

right2bright on June 24, 2008 at 8:38 AM

Coronagold on June 24, 2008 at 8:03 AM

The HA commenter “Gilda” has done this great artwork, as well as others:

JiangxiDad on June 24, 2008 at 8:45 AM

Am I the only one whose noticed that Obama specializes in silly mistakes? I wonder how many he’ll make if he gets to run the country?

jeanie on June 24, 2008 at 9:27 AM

Obama reportedly said, “This is not the seal I thought I knew.”

jtorres138 on June 24, 2008 at 9:51 AM

Still IN the bus, not under it: Kerry in his bunny suit, Dukakis in his tank gear. Hilliary’s sitting right behind the driver-“Slow down! Turn Left! Left! Can’t you hear me? TURN LEFT!”

Doug on June 24, 2008 at 9:55 AM

Every few days Little Barry provides us with something else to chuckle about. Barry Hussein Obama has become a national joke.

UnEasyRider on June 24, 2008 at 10:01 AM

A silly mistake, Obama says. Silly it was, but a mistake it was not. It’s all part of the perception of the coming Messiah. That seal was a deliberate act, nothing mistaken about it at all.

abcurtis on June 24, 2008 at 10:41 AM

B. HUSSEIN never has to worry about where to put his feet when speaking in public. All he has to do is open his mouth, and pick a foot to insert… As long as he has a mouth, his feet have a place to go!!!

pueblo1032 on June 24, 2008 at 12:22 PM

“and so under the bus it goes…”

until 1/20/2009. Then it comes back out to replace the “old” antiquated presidential seal.

To better reflect the change that has finally come.

I’m going to go be sick now.

garry on June 24, 2008 at 12:34 PM

You know what’s funny is that the Democrats think he’s going to be this great leader and harbinger of change. Yet every time conservatives hold his feet to the fire over some stupid decision he’s made or something dumb he has said, he backs down.

Benaiah on June 24, 2008 at 3:04 PM

Obama can be the next Forest Gump…..Stupid is is stupid does.

azcop on June 24, 2008 at 3:06 PM

It’s a poor dog that can’t wage his own tail. I think it is safe to say Sen. Obama can wag his.

Cindy Munford on June 24, 2008 at 8:37 PM

Hussein’s misplaced attempt for his version of CHANGE with the presidential seal, is just another case of preferential treatment. The USDOJ should be knocking on his door, but will instead give him a pass. With that said, then why are Border Patrol officers Compean and Ramos behind bars, and not BHO? Rule of law, my a$$!

In another legal problem, in accordance with the U.S. Constitution, Barack Hussein Obama is suppose to be a U.S. citizen, to be able to run for president. So far, other than the fake, and/or altered birth certificate that was posted on the Daily KOS, he has refused to produce an original copy to the MSM, or the public.

byteshredder on June 24, 2008 at 11:24 PM

Another one under the bus.

Nahanni on June 25, 2008 at 7:47 PM