Video: The blind painter

posted at 3:30 pm on June 22, 2008 by Allahpundit

There’s an extensive collection here but without dates, alas. Here’s one from 2004, though, when his eyesight was almost completely gone. Amazing. Click the image to watch.

mann.jpg

Comments

AP, RU watching reruns of 20/20 or Sunday Stupid?

Kini on June 22, 2008 at 3:39 PM

Stiff upper lip.

VolMagic on June 22, 2008 at 3:40 PM

That second link (“End of the Day, Parchiule”) is beautiful. Very evocative. As a painter myself, I can attest to the fact that it is, indeed, something that takes place mostly in your mind and executed with the hand (but the work, so to speak, happens mentally). I can’t, however, begin to imagine what my work might be if I lost my sight. One of the reasons I work (or used to) on very large canvases is because I am near sighted and larger is easier what with having to paint so close up to a surface.

This fellow’s really heroic.

S on June 22, 2008 at 3:40 PM

Salvador Dali

I was looking for the one where he did a few strokes of color across a blank canvas using the blunt end of a cow horn. . .

No offense to the blind painter, but when you have an elephant, chimpanzee, and assorted other animals producing ‘art’. . . .why not a blind guy?

Get off line: define ‘art’, a splash of color on a blank wall?

rockhauler on June 22, 2008 at 3:52 PM

jolly good

jgapinoy on June 22, 2008 at 4:39 PM

My wife’s a painter, & she says there’s no way she could paint from memory. Kudos to the Brit!

jgapinoy on June 22, 2008 at 4:43 PM

Art is definitely in the eye mind of the beholder, and to each’s own.

On his spirit, though, admireable, indeed. The rest of us bitch about being 5 lbs overweight, and many tend to live in the past or of future fantasies.

The gentleman lives “in the present” and does what he enjoys doing the most. A good life, in spite of hardship and challenges. Most of us have no right to whine, comparably.

Entelechy on June 22, 2008 at 4:48 PM

jgapinoy, your wife’s sunflowers look a lot like Van Gogh’s concept thereof.

Entelechy on June 22, 2008 at 4:51 PM

I find it ironic that Close Captioning is not available for that video.

AbaddonsReign on June 22, 2008 at 4:57 PM

Never quit Mate. . . Never.

Texyank on June 22, 2008 at 5:26 PM

Almost anything will pass as art these days but as an artist and painter myself, I have to say that I’m very impressed, even more so knowing he is blind. I think many of his landscapes are remarkable, especially his lighting effects in them. wow

abinitioadinfinitum on June 22, 2008 at 5:55 PM

One of several things a blind person and a pachyderm are better at than me.

Rhinoboy on June 22, 2008 at 6:01 PM

What a special man — God bless him.

Richard Romano on June 22, 2008 at 6:17 PM

Every year at Bike Week at Obi’s in DeLand, FL, a guy would show up who engraved windshields blindfolded. Claimed to be a Russian who arrived in the US via Thailand.

JimK on June 22, 2008 at 6:38 PM

My mom told me that I paint like a blind man. So… it was a compliment?

Kevin M on June 22, 2008 at 8:01 PM

Entelechy at 4:51PM

Yes, that’s why it was a gift. I guess it wouldn’t be legal to sell that, would it?

jgapinoy on June 22, 2008 at 8:09 PM

Sunday nights are usually dull on HA, but tonight….
Ed has an exclusive with TEH FRED!.
AP has “blind painters”.
Ed wins…but he had a bit of an advantage by getting TEH FRED!.

malan89 on June 22, 2008 at 8:22 PM

A testament to mans will,and courage
and being blind,he’s got a lot of guts!
What a gift.—————————:)

canopfor on June 22, 2008 at 8:38 PM

jgapinoy on June 22, 2008 at 8:09 PM

Sure you can sell it, as a semblance.

Entelechy on June 22, 2008 at 10:15 PM

Is this guy related to those elephants in Thailand…’cuz those elephants were pretty talented…

AUINSC on June 22, 2008 at 10:38 PM

I draw and paint, and it’s quite easy, actually to do it with my eyes closed or blindfolded. My work doesn’t look perfect, or as good as when I’m seeing it, but still, it’s not that difficult at all.

bridgetown on June 23, 2008 at 8:20 AM

He paints better than most people but face it, it is crude.

TheSitRep on June 23, 2008 at 8:23 AM

I like the landscapes. The people, not so much.

Mommynator on June 23, 2008 at 9:48 AM