Who’s playing the race card? Update: Audio added

posted at 11:11 am on June 21, 2008 by Ed Morrissey

Barack Obama told supporters in Jacksonville that Republicans would launch racist attacks against him in the upcoming election.  Without noting a single supporting piece of evidence, Obama cast any opposition to him as bigotry, and in doing so, recalled just a touch of Joe McCarthy’s tactics:

Democratic presidential contender Barack Obama said on Friday he expects Republicans to highlight the fact that he is black as part of an effort to make voters afraid of him.

“It is going to be very difficult for Republicans to run on their stewardship of the economy or their outstanding foreign policy,” Obama told a fundraiser in Jacksonville, Florida. “We know what kind of campaign they’re going to run. They’re going to try to make you afraid.

The ironic part of this argument is that it ignores the tactics his fellow Democrats used in the primary, while also overlooking John McCain’s efforts to distance himself from the same tactics.  It was, after all, staffers on the Hillary Clinton campaign that sent the photo of Obama in African garb to the Drudge Report.   It was Bill Clinton who suggested that Obama’s victory in South Carolina was no more significant than Jesse Jackson’s in 1988.  It was Hillary who explicitly went after the white, working-class vote in the later primaries that bruised Obama so badly.

John McCain, meanwhile, was a lot more outspoken in criticizing his own supporters for relying on crypto-ethnic references.  He immediately and publicly disowned, without any prompting, Bill Cunningham in Ohio after the radio host enphasized Obama’s middle name (Hussein) in his introductory remarks.  McCain also fired one staffer for e-mailing a Jeremiah Wright video after explicitly saying that his campaign would have no comment on Wright or Trinity United.  Meanwhile, Hillary could only offer a tepid “as far as I know” repudiation of the rumor that Obama is/was a Muslim.

Just as with his untrue statements on Republican financing and 527s, Obama seems content to issue lies and smears in order to inflame the electorate.  There is more than a little hint of McCarthyism in this tactic.  Joe McCarthy waved pieces of paper around and claimed to have lists of Communists in government that he never substantiated.  Obama likes to accuse Republicans of racism without any proof, either, while apparently discounting the real race-card playing in his own party.

If he has proof that the Republican Party and/or John McCain plan racist attacks on him, let him show it.  If he doesn’t, then Obama is guilty of his own racial pandering and should apologize. (in part via TMV)

Update: Copied comments from the Headlines post.

Update II: Baldilocks notes that the demonization has begun.

Update (AP): All I’d add to what Ed said is that Team Obama’s been playing the race card for a long time now. What makes this different is that the candidate himself, for once, has deigned to dirty his hands instead of letting his jerkiest lackeys, like Jesse Jackson Jr., do it for him.

Update (AP): Just in case Team Barry tries to deny he said this, here’s the audio. Big cheers for the siren song of demagoguery, natch.

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2 3 4

Well… so much for post-racial politics. He just injected a big ‘ole dose of race right up in there, huh?

Do people really fall for this transparent crap coming out of his campaign?

DaveS on June 20, 2008 at 8:35 PM

Change!

Still the best Obama Ad evah!

Asher on June 20, 2008 at 8:38 PM

And so it begins…

Hope, change, new kind of politics…etc.

Slublog on June 20, 2008 at 8:38 PM

…the moment I began to actually despise Barack Obama

loganthompson on June 20, 2008 at 8:40 PM

Republicans will run on racism

This Republican conservative certainly will point out the fact that Obama would be totally unknown if he wasn’t Black.

jgapinoy on June 20, 2008 at 8:43 PM

Memo to Obama:

Go ahead, duba$$, keep calling us racists. We who are not racist are sick and tired of you and Sharpton and all the other racemongers accusing and convicting us of crimes we did not commit without benefit of evidence, trial or jury of our peers. We will respond, en masse, in the voting booth in November.

Bring it. Then Nov 5th, STFU.

Sincerely yours,

Someone who has never been prejudice in her whole life and is sick and tired of being accused of it JUST because I am successful.

P.S. FU

JustTruth101 on June 20, 2008 at 8:43 PM

This is not the Barack Obama I’ve come to know.

SteveMG on June 20, 2008 at 8:44 PM

(1) Right, it’s the Republicans who are “highlighting the fact that he is black.”

(2) Looks like our national dialogue on race is over. Sucks.

omriceren on June 20, 2008 at 8:45 PM

Obama ’08: He can’t possibly be racist, he’s a Democrat!

ZK on June 20, 2008 at 8:48 PM

Grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr….

I’m a Southerner. I’m a Republican. I haven’t met anyone who came up to me who was bagging Obama because of his skin color. Sure, there are stupid people everywhere, of every color, to whom race is an issue.

The content of your character, Barry, is what drives me away.

Limerick on June 20, 2008 at 8:51 PM

I can’t wait to hear this back peddle.

ronsfi on June 20, 2008 at 8:54 PM

If anything will revive racism to its former unsavory, disgusting glory, it is the kind of bull**** Obama is spouting. He his playing the lowest, most disgusting card possible.

If he was honest, trustworthy and had some experience — and was conservative — I wouldn’t hesitate to vote for him regardless of race, religion or any other factor not of his making.

As it stands, over the last interminable year, I have come to loathe him for what he represents, which is a triumph of false race guilt and elitist communism. My two hopes are that he loses and fades thereafter into the obscurity that should be reserved for race hustlers from all sides of the issue.

BTW, Mr Osama Obama: I supported Shirley Chisholm in the 1972 Democrat primary and was one of those (many, I think) who wanted Barbara Jordan to run. I’m still proud of that. You, sir, are no Shirley Chisholm.

Hell, you’re not even an Al Sharpton.

MrScribbler on June 20, 2008 at 8:55 PM

Hard to keep the race issue out of the campaign when the one who doesn’t want it to be an issue keeps bringing it up.

Kowboy on June 20, 2008 at 8:56 PM

I can

Exurban Jon on June 20, 2008 at 8:57 PM

OMG!! He’s BLACK????

aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa
aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa
aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa

that was to show my afraidness…

TheCulturalist on June 20, 2008 at 8:59 PM

Nothing good can come of this.

Exurban Jon on June 20, 2008 at 8:57 PM

Which is exactly what the SOB wants. Distractions from the distractions!

Limerick on June 20, 2008 at 9:00 PM

This is from the post-racial candidate? From the uniter?

He takes us all for fools. Racist campaigning at a new low.

petefrt on June 20, 2008 at 9:02 PM

In practice, Democrats are over and over again defining themselves as racist.

Change, what change? Too bad.

Scribbler on June 20, 2008 at 9:04 PM

OMG!! He

easy on June 20, 2008 at 9:10 PM

I’m telling you this guy does not want to win. It may only be at a subconscious level but he is afraid of the job.

TheBigOldDog on June 20, 2008 at 9:10 PM

“They’re going to try to make you afraid of me. He’s young and inexperienced

So far, so accurate. You’re also a socialist/Marxist, with an anarchyst wife, elitism and cockiness aside.

He said he was also set for Republicans to say “he’s got a feisty wife,” in trying to attack his wife Michelle.

Your wife is beyond feisty. That toothpaste will never, ever get back into the tube. Live with it.

“We know the strategy because they’ve already shown their cards. Ultimately I think the American people recognize that old stuff hasn’t moved us forward. That old stuff just divides us,” he said.

No one, in the last 30 years will set race-relations back more than the two Obamas, win or lose.

Obama, born to a white mother from Kansas and a black father from Kenya, has cast himself as a candidate who can bridge divides within the country, including those involving race.

Did you know that his mother was white? By November he’ll be white too. In the general he was black. The metamorphosis has begun.

Yes, be very afraid.

‘Loved’ the way the article was written too.

Entelechy on June 20, 2008 at 9:18 PM

I would love to see a black President. Just not this left wing socialist tool.

Geronimo on June 20, 2008 at 9:18 PM

I’d vote for President Thomas Sowell any day of the week, any hour of the day.

RBMN on June 20, 2008 at 9:30 PM

I find it hard to believe he could have said this. If he did…. what a pathetic little prick he is.

BL@KBIRD on June 20, 2008 at 9:30 PM

Disgusting.

VolMagic on June 20, 2008 at 9:40 PM

Wondered when that would start.

brak on June 20, 2008 at 9:40 PM

Gee, and all this time I thought I was not voting for Obama because he is an inexperienced socialist @$$clown with a following almost as annoying as Ron Paul’s.

So now I am “enlightened” to know I am some sort of racist by some guy whose dad was never told to come in through the back of an Oklahoma restaurant (my dad’s family has a lot of Texas Cherokee in it. When he and I tan, we look full-blooded).

Sekhmet on June 20, 2008 at 9:47 PM

I’m starting to really, really dislike the SOB. Why does he even want to president of a country that’s as full of racist scum and gun-toting half-humans as he thinks it is?

Django on June 20, 2008 at 9:57 PM

Eh. He’s right and he’s wrong. It won’t be as bad as he thinks it’ll be but the racism will be there.

SnarkVader on June 20, 2008 at 10:09 PM

Eh. He

VolMagic on June 20, 2008 at 10:16 PM

Obama: Republicans will run on racism.

McCain: I’m going to run an honorable campaign.

Argh.

misterpeasea on June 20, 2008 at 10:21 PM

Hussein spent twenty years yelling hallelujah to rev wrong. Who’s the racist, hussein? YOU ARE! Oh and did I mention your wife?

This speech was a BIG mistake.

dogsoldier on June 20, 2008 at 10:21 PM

Exactly. Like the 91% of blacks who voted for him and against Hillary who had exactly the same platform as he does. Racism is racism, even if it is liberal

SnarkVader on June 20, 2008 at 10:42 PM

Obama ….. “They’re going to try to make you afraid of me. He’s young and inexperienced and he’s got a funny name. And did I mention he’s black?”

Young: True
Inexperienced: True
Funny Name: True
Black: True

The truth hurts. Poor wittle Barry.

fogw on June 20, 2008 at 10:44 PM

OMG, I don’t know how I’m going to be able to take this crap until November. It hurts my head just to read his words let alone actually listen to him and to hear all the sheeple cheer for it.

Yakko77 on June 20, 2008 at 11:07 PM

We just got transported to 1984 and his name suddenly changed to Jesse Jackson. How dare this scumbag who spent 20 years in the pews of a vile, racist and anti-American church dsre talk about someone using race as a tool of fear.

This guy is beyond the pale. I don’t care much for McCain, but at least McCain isn’t a jackass.

TheBlueSite on June 20, 2008 at 11:07 PM

So the only thing the Republicans have is racism, or code words for racism.

Here’s the codebook:

Obama is a socialist = he’s black
Obama has zero executive experience = he’s black
Obama wants to snatch defeat from the jaws of victory in Iraq = he’s black
Obama wants to nationalize health, oil, transportation industries = he’s black
Anything short of voting for Obama = he’s black

stonemeister on June 20, 2008 at 11:29 PM

Things must not be going so well in Obambi’s Camelot as the MSM would lead us to believe. This could be a good sign that Barack has become so full of Barack that he’s not considering how the typical white person of either political party may find more shopworn race cards tiresome. Even the Dims are bound to notice the perfect four part harmony of Obama, Sharpton, Jazzy Jackson and William Jefferson the moment someone challenges them.

Obambi playing the race card so early? That sounds suspiciously like angry Hillary playing the sexism card shortly before her campaign began to sputter out.

viking01 on June 20, 2008 at 11:30 PM

but at least McCain isn

Misha I on June 20, 2008 at 11:44 PM

This speech was a BIG mistake.

dogsoldier on June 20, 2008 at 10:21 PM

Sure was. Looks like he’s gonna hafta throw himself under the bus now.

soundingboard on June 20, 2008 at 11:48 PM

baldilocks, where are you???

homesickamerican on June 20, 2008 at 11:55 PM

baldilocks, where are you???

homesickamerican on June 20, 2008 at 11:55 PM

Trackback.

baldilocks on June 21, 2008 at 12:01 AM

What an awful thing to say!!! I think Obama’s either losing his grip or starting to believe his own publicity telling him he can do or say nothing wrong or anything he wants.

jeanie on June 21, 2008 at 12:02 AM

THis is not the Obama I know. >.>;

jharada on June 21, 2008 at 12:26 AM

Trackback.

baldilocks on June 21, 2008 at 12:01 AM

thanks! that’s what i needed to read. :-)

pithy and on the money as usual!

my bad; i should’ve checked your site before i assumed that you didn’t address this yet.

homesickamerican on June 21, 2008 at 12:46 AM

One of Obama’s goals is to provoke his opposition into defending themselves. It’s the old “how often do you beat your wife” ploy. If he can get his opposition “distacted” into spending their time and energy trying to convince the nation that they aren’t secret KKK members, this reduces potential problems they can create for Obama.

Ragnell on June 21, 2008 at 12:58 AM

So Republicans are racists if they notice that BHO knows practically nothing about US history, US or World Geography, foreign affairs, economics, business, or the Constitution?

I think that the people who keep bringing up race are the truly depraved racists: that would be DEMOCRATS and Obama himself!!!

landlines on June 21, 2008 at 1:02 AM

landlines on June 21, 2008 at 1:02 AM

my bad; i should

baldilocks on June 21, 2008 at 1:19 AM

landlines on June 21, 2008 at 1:02 AM

yeah he knows nothing about the Constitution, he just taught Constitutional Law at the University of Chicago Law School for 12 years.

crr6 on June 21, 2008 at 1:20 AM

Most people couldn’t care less about your name and your color, Senator Obama. They fear being lead by you because you have no substantive legislative record, you’re a chronic liar and, after explicitly stating that you choose your friends carefully, you have repeatedly and systematically made friends with people who hate this country.

You would “bridge the divide,” Senator, by burning that bridge.

Folks, don’t let this Sower of Discord shut you up.

~ ~ baldilocks

crr6, it’s shocking that someone who did teach at such a prominent school for so long, on the topic you mentioned, doesn’t know that it’s a federal offence to modify the presidential seal, aside from the impertinence of sitting behind one ahead of being elected. And this is just one example.

Entelechy on June 21, 2008 at 1:29 AM

Grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr

hillbillyjim on June 21, 2008 at 1:37 AM

I’m so f***ing sick of this assclown.

Every day he gets worse and worse.

First it was Republicans smearing his wife.

Then we made up rumors about her saying whitey.

Then we got all our money from evil lobbyists and “527′s” to smear him.

Then we are going to tell people that he’s black.

I can’t wait for tomorrow’s enlightenment.

I wonder how many tickets to Canada Alec Baldwin bought and didn’t use back in ’04…

Vincenzo on June 21, 2008 at 1:54 AM

The best part is, Obama was on Jimmy Kimmel the other night joking about how the asians in Hawaii are too short to play basketball with him.

you’re the f’ing rascist, you jackass piece of crap. you’re going to turn this country more twisted than its ever been with your scare tactics, ghost stories, and false accusations.

Vincenzo on June 21, 2008 at 1:59 AM

Obama 08: For all My Playas that be fearin it up

If this isn’t the Politics of fear, I don’t know what is. He keeps coming up with new things the republicans will do so he can say “Ha I told ya so” Next its going to be, “The republicaaaaaans, they’re going to tell you i’m a democrat. I wasn’t born a democrat, my father wasn’t a democrat, i’ve never even seen a democrat.”

Rbastid on June 21, 2008 at 2:39 AM

scare tactics, ghost stories, and false accusations.

Vincenzo on June 21, 2008 at 1:59 AM

These are “community organizer” tactics. If someone wants to help defeat Obama, the tactics and goals of his activities in Chicago will need to be investigated and exposed.

Some people have already done some work; the links are in my other computer. I’ll post a couple on another thread, another day.

RushBaby on June 21, 2008 at 2:45 AM

Barack “Sharpton” Obama strikes again.

I don’t know whether it’s the constant lies or the insane policies – especially since the policies are probably lies.

Merovign on June 21, 2008 at 4:18 AM

Denying that he’s half white shows he’s ashamed of himself, so who’s the true racist?

You know, Hitler was in the same denial.

madmonkphotog on June 21, 2008 at 5:13 AM

The only ones I’ve heard talk about race are…..Rev. Wright, Bill Clinton, Spike Lee, Barack Obama. And they would belong to which party?

All I’ve heard from Republicans is that he is extremely inexperienced, naive, and a flip flopper.

I’m convinced the Obama campaign made up the whole “whitey” thing and tried to pin it on Republicans and Rush so that he could make a statement just like this.

ctmom on June 21, 2008 at 8:57 AM

If BO was running to be president of the NAACP, would he be considered to be the first white president? Would he be telling people “They gonna say ‘Did I mention he was white’”

If he does become president, will the next black person who has a black mother and father be able to claim that he/she is the first real black president?

There seem to be way more people who praise him because he has dark skin, than fear him because of it. What we fear is his ideas not his skin color. He and his followers seem to be the ones most concerned about his race, and what is so absurd is that he is half and half.

pappy on June 21, 2008 at 9:26 AM

Obama. This little twerp is really starting to piss me off.

Paul-Cincy on June 21, 2008 at 10:10 AM

crr6 on June 21, 2008 at 1:20 AM

Q.E.D.

…and he still doesn’t understand what a Constitution is…still doesn’t know how many states there are!

landlines on June 21, 2008 at 10:28 AM

crr6 on June 21, 2008 at 1:20 AM

No better example of the folly of Affirmative Action available. Obambi the Constitutional Scholar. The very definition of an oxymoron.

And Comrade Obambi, it’s not your race. It’s your marxist tendencies that concern me.

techno_barbarian on June 21, 2008 at 10:45 AM

Most people couldn

Yakko77 on June 21, 2008 at 10:48 AM

Uh.

McCarthy was right.

misterpeasea on June 21, 2008 at 11:15 AM

Obama cast any opposition to him as bigotry,

How exactly did he do that? Pretty big leap there.

crr6 on June 21, 2008 at 11:17 AM

Ed, come on. You know what he means: if you don’t vote for him, it is because you are a racist.

Dingbat63 on June 21, 2008 at 11:20 AM

What’s with the headline comments links? They point to “test” and can’t be accessed.

peski on June 21, 2008 at 11:22 AM

It’s really kind of early to be playing the race card. And he’s saying “Republicans” in general, casting them as a group of racists (which we all know is true, right, Senator Byrd?) and not specifically citing McCain.

If he wants to float this commentary, I think that would be good. McCain is probably one of the best people the GOP can float in a campaign around racism because he’s been so proactive in clearing those weeds from his campaign.

And by invoking the race card, who’s really doing the fear-mongering?

Nethicus on June 21, 2008 at 11:22 AM

Peski, you probably clicked it as I was copying the comments here.

Dingbat63, exactly — and if you criticize him, it’s because of your latent racism.

Ed Morrissey on June 21, 2008 at 11:23 AM

Obama cast any opposition to him as bigotry

Whaa? I’m amazed how you could get that out of the quote given by Obama. It smacks of you wanting to feel abused.

Nonfactor on June 21, 2008 at 11:25 AM

He’ll prove as bulletproof on this as McCain is on love of country.

McCain is going to have to dodge and weave every time some righty plays the race card. The Obama campaign and the MSM will always ask him to respond whenever some numbskull makes a racial remark. The sound bytes on nightly news won’t be McCain on the issues it will be McCain forced to comment on some bonehead’s remarks about Barry.

Limerick on June 21, 2008 at 11:26 AM

Peski, you probably clicked it as I was copying the comments here.

Ed Morrissey on June 21, 2008 at 11:23 AM

No, all the headline comment links point to an unavailable page:

peski on June 21, 2008 at 11:27 AM

Ed, the headlines comments are not working for any one them. I get the “test” link like peski did.

StephC on June 21, 2008 at 11:28 AM

Ed, psychologically speaking, don’t people want to be lied to if it reinforces what they want to hear? Denial soothes.

Candidates lie not only to get out of trouble, but because it works so well.

JiangxiDad on June 21, 2008 at 11:30 AM

I was about to say, I’m getting an error in Headlines, maybe put up a post before HA gets deluged?

doubleplusundead on June 21, 2008 at 11:30 AM

How exactly did he do that? Pretty big leap there.

crr6 on June 21, 2008 at 11:17 AM

The same way proponents of Shamnesty, including more than a few Republicans, did it. I keep remembering Lindsey Graham’s speech to La Raza on the matter. GOP skirts aren’t entirely clean on use of the technique when they want to use it. If you are against me, you’re racist.

a capella on June 21, 2008 at 11:30 AM

Well, well. It appears Barack has found it useful and to his benefit to use preemptive attacks when there is no imminent threat. I thought those things were dumb and could be contained with a ‘smart strategy’.

Dusty on June 21, 2008 at 11:31 AM

We’re working on the Headlines issue.

Ed Morrissey on June 21, 2008 at 11:31 AM

StephC on June 21, 2008 at 11:28 AM

Yeah. And mine are posting under a different thread than intended.

misterpeasea on June 21, 2008 at 11:32 AM

“They’re going to tell you about my slave-holding ancestors! Oh, wait…”

Maquis on June 21, 2008 at 11:32 AM

a capella on June 21, 2008 at 11:30 AM

Yeah….but he didn’t say that. At all. I have no idea how you could get that out of his quote. Unless you really really want him to have said that.

crr6 on June 21, 2008 at 11:33 AM

Yeah. And mine are posting under a different thread than intended.

misterpeasea on June 21, 2008 at 11:32 AM

Never mind.

misterpeasea on June 21, 2008 at 11:34 AM

The race card is the only one this empty suit can play.

It is pathetic but it has the virtue that it will work.

Ares on June 21, 2008 at 11:36 AM

Looks like “it’s on”.
This creep was going to play the “you’re a racist if you don’t bow down” card sooner or later.
The fact that the mask is slipping 5 months early is a good thing for us- scare away those moderates Barry with your racist accusations against a major political party.
I’m thinking that as the heat grows he’s going to appear to be what I think he is- a punk with a gang of thugs.

jjshaka on June 21, 2008 at 11:36 AM

Aside from McCarthyism, this reminds me of the Democrats’ “Don’t you dare question our patriotism” screeches during the 2004 election, when the only ones mentioning “questioning patriotism” at all were Democrats. Claiming a false victimhood is a favorite tactic of theirs, and the Democrats need to be called on it loud and often.

irishspy on June 21, 2008 at 11:38 AM

Vote for Obama because he’s black?

Connie on June 21, 2008 at 11:39 AM

By the way, Ed, someone broke the headline section.

Connie on June 21, 2008 at 11:41 AM

Obama plays his race card to gamble on white guilt.

If this is post-racial, post-partisan politics, I don’t think I like it.

petefrt on June 21, 2008 at 11:51 AM

Connie on June 21, 2008 at 11:39 AM

I’ll never understand just what goes on inside the head of a liberal.

Especially in the mind of an elitist, smug pr*ck like Kerry.

“An African-American president will make it easier to talk and deal with dictators.”

WTF?

And let’s not kid ourselves, Barack Almighty is more Arab-American than he is African-American.

fogw on June 21, 2008 at 11:53 AM

By the way, Ed, someone broke the headline section.

Connie on June 21, 2008 at 11:41 AM

Oh, good. It’s not just me.

JetBoy on June 21, 2008 at 11:53 AM

Oh, good. It’s not just me.

JetBoy on June 21, 2008 at 11:53 AM

Looks like it’s linking to the wrong directory.

flipflop on June 21, 2008 at 11:56 AM

Looks like it’s linking to the wrong directory.

flipflop on June 21, 2008 at 11:56 AM

Yup…if you click the comments link, wait for the error, then manuall remove the “/test” portion of the path in the URL, you’ll get to the comments for the article.

flipflop on June 21, 2008 at 11:57 AM

What a tool…

stlpatriot on June 21, 2008 at 11:58 AM

I would not vote for Obama if he were white as snow. Thats what the left will never understand about the right .We vote for a person not based on his or her color black white brown or any color but on there values and love of this country and all that is good about the people of america. Not for someone or his wife who stands up and tell everbody was a bad and mean people & country we are!!!

thmcbb on June 21, 2008 at 11:59 AM