Video: Left discovers that John McCain doesn’t love America, or something

posted at 3:16 pm on June 20, 2008 by Allahpundit

No, actually, their point is that McCain does love America even though he once said something to Hannity to suggest maybe he hasn’t always, and that in turn is supposed to be the killer tu quoque exposing the GOP’s hypocrisy in criticizing Michelle Obama. I have nothing much to add to the obvious counterpoint made by Abe Greenwald and Ace, but some troll has been entertaining me for the past hour or two with e-mails daring us to publicly address this explosive revelation. So here’s your post, troll.

You can approach this in one of two ways, first by very closely parsing the difference in the actual words used — McCain “really didn’t” love America before Hanoi versus Michelle O having “never” been proud until recently — but that’s silly since both were speaking off the cuff, imprecisely. The more trenchant comparison is between the catalyzing events. McCain took America for granted until he spent five years in a tiger cage thousands of miles away, and Mrs. Obama took it for granted until her hubby became a global political superstar. That’s actually a more favorable talking point for the GOP than the original line of attack on her. Anything else we can do to increase her pride? Make him Pope, maybe? A stupid subject overall, and as you’ll see here with DNC waterboy Dan Abrams, getting stupider by the day.

Comments

There is a distinct difference between “love” and pride…

Dan Abrahams is humping Chris Mattews excited leg.

singlemalt_18 on June 20, 2008 at 3:21 PM

Pardon the typos…Abrahms & Mathews… birds of a biased feather.

singlemalt_18 on June 20, 2008 at 3:23 PM

i cant look at katrina

these bitches are grasping at straws…

blatantblue on June 20, 2008 at 3:25 PM

I still can’t forget watching Abrahms having a virtual orgasm talking about Rush Limbaugh and voter fraud during ‘Operation; Chaos’.. and how Rush ‘could’ be charged with voter fraud..

DaveC on June 20, 2008 at 3:26 PM

This guy is an analyst?
I always loved my wife, but when I was separated as she was under going surgery, I never knew the depth of my love.

right2bright on June 20, 2008 at 3:28 PM

Abrahams is Olbermann with lower rating. I like how his graphics are kinda comic bookish. Fits him perfectly.

I agree. I think alot of people take America for granted. Thus, they “love” her in an abstract kinda way. When you live under the control of communists for a couple of years, you gain a whole new love for America that you don’t really appreciate when you live your whole life in soft, indolent freedom.

VolMagic on June 20, 2008 at 3:29 PM

I just LOVE the outRAGE-y vocal inFLECtions of Dan ABrams. It makes his POINT so much more eFFECtive.

Oh, and to save the trolls the effort: Hagee! Parsley! Sage Rosemary and Thyme!

McCain is making a point about what America came to mean to him personally, while under extraordinary duress in the service of his country. Michelle Obama is making a point about how America sucked until she stood personally to gain.

Blech. Does Dan ABrams always eMOTE so hysTERICally?

Gilda on June 20, 2008 at 3:30 PM

Wow. The left is completely unhinged. The dame calls someone a wingnut, calls the past seven years of the Bush administration looting and plundering. Oh, my. What a bunch of codswallop.

Tennman on June 20, 2008 at 3:30 PM

this is a tough one

Michele gets a great education, has $300,000 job but only develops pride for USA when hubby gets chance at presidency

McCain gets 5 years in a cage and permanent disabilities and realizes how good the old USA really is

yeah…those are the same

where is the troll? I want to mock and ridicule them.

windansea on June 20, 2008 at 3:31 PM

When did Cindy McCain question MO’s patriotism? It’s at the 155 mark on the video.

Nelsa on June 20, 2008 at 3:31 PM

I like his “We uncovered” Its not uncovering if its out in the open and free for all to find. He should have said, after 6 months someone from our research department took their head out from being deeply pushed in their under regions and did their job.

As you said theres a difference between “I’ve only come to love America after having been kept away” or to the sort, or to say “I’ve never been proud of my country” But then again theres a big difference between Dan Abrahams and a bowl of pudding too, a bowl of pudding does some amazing political reporting.

Rbastid on June 20, 2008 at 3:33 PM

Also, I think it’s funny that MSNBC used the words “Video that WE HAVE UNCOVERED”.
I did not know that Fox news was an underground media outlet with secret feeds to Conservatives… :)

Nelsa on June 20, 2008 at 3:34 PM

DNC waterboy Dan Abrams, getting stupider by the day

I saw this and like slowing down at an accident it was difficult to turn away. Abrams had to use the phrase “we uncovered this” time and time again (did Dan personally wire Hannity? Sounds like it) – I suppose like throwing out the Rush voter fraud thing, this guy is looking for credit from the Kos Krowd for ANYthing that might stick.

Marcus on June 20, 2008 at 3:35 PM

Rbastid on June 20, 2008 at 3:33 PM

Great minds think alike! You beat me to that point…

Nelsa on June 20, 2008 at 3:36 PM

Well, given McCain’s recent comments in Chicago about Amnesty being a day-one priority for him, I have to wonder.

jaime on June 20, 2008 at 3:37 PM

where is the troll? I want to mock and ridicule them.

windansea on June 20, 2008 at 3:31 PM

It’ll be fun to see if he/she has the fortitude to step up to the plate, won’t it? We’ll probably be disappointed.

a capella on June 20, 2008 at 3:39 PM

Abrahms thinks he’s the next Keith Olbermann.

Oh, wait, that’s not a compliment.

fossten on June 20, 2008 at 3:39 PM

This line of attack is DOA.

If the subject is patriotism, McCain wins.

forest on June 20, 2008 at 3:39 PM

This is Sooo….pathetic…

BigWyo on June 20, 2008 at 3:40 PM

Wow, you really got him there, troll – good one.

Rick on June 20, 2008 at 3:40 PM

God, I hate Katrina vanden Heuvel.

Ian on June 20, 2008 at 3:41 PM

Abrams is getting Olberitis.

It’s just sad. And hilarious.

Good Lt on June 20, 2008 at 3:41 PM

I take it, Allah, that your troll doesn’t spend much time reading HA. If he/she/it had they would have seen these boards act much like the MSNBC board put up in this neener-neener piece. Not saying that against the boards here, just saying that we ‘wingnuts’ are very liberal in our ire with one another. You sure don’t see that kind of give and take on the left side of the net.

My first experience of the other half of the world came when I was twelve, as a simple tourist. When that TWA jet landed back in the good ‘ol USA I was one thankful kid.

Limerick on June 20, 2008 at 3:43 PM

Yarg. It all be bollocks, it be.

LimeyGeek on June 20, 2008 at 3:44 PM

John McCain meant: “I never reallly appreciated how much I love my country until I was deprived of her freedoms” It’s the standard: you don’t know what you have until you lose it, which could be said for any experience of loss. Michelle Obama, when she said, “this is the first time in my adult life I’ve been proud of my country” meant: This is the first time in my adult life I’ve been proud of my country.

pleaseandthankyou on June 20, 2008 at 3:45 PM

I can’t even bear to watch though I was scrolling by MessNBC last night and saw Abrams, Katrina whatzerface and Little Johnny Alter simultaneously. I didn’t know if my television could handle all the hatred.

JammieWearingFool on June 20, 2008 at 3:45 PM

Uh, the guy went through 5 years of torture for his country and didn’t break. He could have come back with a chip the size of Texas on his shoulder, and I doubt anyone would fault him for it.

This is just unreal.

spmat on June 20, 2008 at 3:45 PM

God, I hate Katrina vanden Heuvel.

Ian on June 20, 2008 at 3:41 PM

God sez okay, me too

windansea on June 20, 2008 at 3:45 PM

Gilda on June 20, 2008 at 3:30 PM

I got so annoyed with his manner of speech, I couldn’t finish the clip. Sounds like someone reading poetry really, really badly.

“mary HAD A liTTLE lamb. IT’S fleece WAS white AS snow. everyWHERE maRY went, THAT lamb WAS sure TO go.”

Maybe he should report on celebrities instead….

Skidd on June 20, 2008 at 3:45 PM

Having to go to these lengths just shows how serious and damaging her comments are. They would have been better off simply trying to move on. All this does is remind people of her true heart.

TheBigOldDog on June 20, 2008 at 3:46 PM

It’s clearer that McCain was using hyperbole. It’s less than clear that Mrs. Obama was. Hyperbole is a useful tool but is best not used around politicians or reporters.

raybury on June 20, 2008 at 3:47 PM

Also,

Bringing up Bill Ayers is a slur. And borderline racist.

Bwahahahahahaha.

Man, I could only make it through 3 mins of that bilge.

VolMagic on June 20, 2008 at 3:48 PM

Dan Abrams is such a dunce. A total embarrassment.

For all the accolades he has received this last week, Russert was the guy in charge of NBC News when it brought in the current cast of insane clowns.

james23 on June 20, 2008 at 3:49 PM

McCain was describing an experience of loss and of genuinely being a victim. Michelle’s described an experience of imagined victimization, when she was actually privileged and blessed. That’s the difference.

pleaseandthankyou on June 20, 2008 at 3:49 PM

Here is the troll, in it’s own words:

Ed, please make sure you play John McCain’s comments that he too “didn’t love America” over and over just like you, Hugh Hewitt, Sean Hannity and all others did for Michelle Obama.

McCain… “I didn’t love America until I was held captive”. He has said this over and over in the past decade (uncovered by Dan Abrams at MSNBC). Now let’s see Hot Air post the video / audio of just that quote, no context just like what you did on Michelle Obama.

Video here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0hVeWZjB8zM

This means John McCain was at the US Naval Academy and while there he didn’t love this country. I expect this to be covered with the same hysterical 24/7 round the clock fervor that Michelle Obama’s comments were.

Michelle Obama’s comment was in context of her view of the political situation in this country during her adult lifetime, and McCain’s was in the context of being deprived of freedom and liberty while being held prisoner in the most horrific conditions. But context doesn’t matter. I expect to see a Michelle Malkin column next week trashing McCain for not loving this country.

olympian2008 on June 20, 2008 at 2:31 PM

VolMagic on June 20, 2008 at 3:50 PM

Waste Of Time.

Abrams is such a tool.

tommylotto on June 20, 2008 at 3:54 PM

Reading on HuffPo they are congratulating Dan for all his “uncovering” but lamenting the MSM won’t hype this, “the msm being in bed with McCain” and all.

Marcus on June 20, 2008 at 3:54 PM

Nope…Obama-mama wasn’t speaking off-the-cuff. She gave the same speech, with the same “never been proud” comment, twice in the same day.

It might have been on Rush’s show Thursday (with sub host), but he played the fateful lines from both of Michelle’s speeches that day. All I know is that I heard it while listening to podcasts at work. Let me know if you need an audio clip.

ynot4tony2 on June 20, 2008 at 3:55 PM

Dan, McCain isn’t running for POTUS, Michelle Obama is.

Please direct your attacks to the candidates.

Kini on June 20, 2008 at 3:56 PM

Allah, I thought you would know better than to waste cyber-ink for some troll. I could only take a few seconds of this dolt (who ever he is) orgasming all over himself.

oakpack on June 20, 2008 at 3:58 PM

McCain had his teeth smashed and bones broken for a country he didn’t love? Good luck convincing America of that crapola.

Michelle O’s privileged upbringing and lucrative career wasn’t enough to make her proud of her country? Selfish attention whore.

LimeyGeek on June 20, 2008 at 3:59 PM

I think the glue that Abrams uses to keep his toupee stuck to his head is starting to affect his mind. Poor boy.

Travis Bickle on June 20, 2008 at 4:04 PM

I try to not look to closely at people in airports anymore because I’m afraid one day I’ll recognize someone like abrams and the last anyone will see of me will be the police dragging me away.

peacenprosperity on June 20, 2008 at 4:05 PM

Dan Abrams is a desperate asswipe.

… and brainchild of MSDNC.

Bring back Tucker Carlson and I might tune into your lame cable network again.

Otherwise, Obamagasms on the network with seven viewers, bore me to death.

fogw on June 20, 2008 at 4:13 PM

I think I got filtered for calling Abrams an *sswipe.

fogw on June 20, 2008 at 4:15 PM

Indeed. Yesterday, I believe, I was flipping channels and happened upon him. I skipped to another quickly, so as to not ruin my hearing system.

Significance is indignant.

Entelechy on June 20, 2008 at 4:17 PM

Not the same thing as compared to what Michelle Obama said. many people take their country for granted and let me tell you from experience that you don’t realize how great this country is until you are away from it and experience other countries.

saltydogg14 on June 20, 2008 at 4:20 PM

saltydogg14 on June 20, 2008 at 4:20 PM

Or, as in my case, the inverse.

LimeyGeek on June 20, 2008 at 4:23 PM

saltydogg14 on June 20, 2008 at 4:20 PM

Bingo!

There is NO comparison.

fogw on June 20, 2008 at 4:26 PM

*waves to the troll*

RushBaby on June 20, 2008 at 4:26 PM

The Michelle Obama stuff was overdone. It invites the easy tu quoque, doesn’t it? People who were so ready to dispense with the “really” and the “adult life” part of it shouldn’t really try to chip too hard around the language of McCain’s statements. It was a miscalculation; it got her guard up, and she won’t be treating us to what might have been some other entertaining bon mots in the college loans/piano lessons/price of arugula vein.

I’m not sure the contexts in which their realizations of their love or pride occurred are really all that similar, though, are they? Anyway, I know what both people meant. Nothing sinister in what either said.

One final note: If Abrams had a functioning conscience he’d back off the notion of breaking a story about something McCain seems to have said over and over again.

DrSteve on June 20, 2008 at 4:27 PM

McCain: “I really didn’t love America until I was deprived of her company.”

Waugh: “I really won’t love Obama until I am deprived of his company.”

Dr. Charles G. Waugh on June 20, 2008 at 4:29 PM

Correction:

McCain: “I really didn’t love America until I was deprived of her company.”

Waugh: “I really won’t love Obama until I am deprived of his candidacy.”

Dr. Charles G. Waugh on June 20, 2008 at 4:29 PM

Dr. Charles G. Waugh on June 20, 2008 at 4:31 PM

It will be fun to hear Mark Levin talk about the squirrel on Abrams head tonight!

ctmom on June 20, 2008 at 4:41 PM

We can email Allahpundit? Where? at hell&EternalDamnation.com?

Are you really TV’s Andrew Levy, Allah? If so, they should get rid of the skinny freak and put you ‘on the stool’ full time

As for Abrams, why is this femme turd given a voice on this blog? To quote Somebody, “If he ( Abrams ) were on fire, I wouldn’t piss on him to put it out.”

Janos Hunyadi on June 20, 2008 at 4:42 PM

So Jonathan Alter believes it’s racist to quote Michelle Obama? Unbelievable. By the way, it’s really interesting how Dan Abrams introduced Lars Larson as a “right wing talk show host”. MSNBC has Rachel Maddow on almost every day. I’ve never heard them refer to her as a “left wing talk show host”.

SoulGlo on June 20, 2008 at 4:43 PM

Remember, the press wants you to believe that they are objective observers, trained observers with a keen eye for BS.

benrand on June 20, 2008 at 4:44 PM

Seriously, Dan, if that’s the best that you can do with all the resources of MSNBC behind you, then: a) you’re far dumber than you look; or b) McCain is virtually bullet-proof on this.

morganfrost on June 20, 2008 at 4:47 PM

Dan Abrams is a desperate asswipe.

… and brainchild of MSDNC.

Bring back Tucker Carlson and I might tune into your lame cable network again.

Otherwise, Obamagasms on the network with seven viewers, bore me to death.

fogw on June 20, 2008 at 4:13 PM

That’s completely crude and uncalled for. Toilet paper is a very useful part of our daily lives. I demand an apology to Mr. Charmin.

Hollowpoint on June 20, 2008 at 4:51 PM

In defense of the troll…

My client would like to plead guilty, your honor.

Limerick on June 20, 2008 at 4:51 PM

God, I hate Katrina vanden Heuvel.

Ian on June 20, 2008 at 3:41 PM

God sez okay, me too

windansea on June 20, 2008 at 3:45 PM

That’s Hurricane Katrina vanden Heuvel, to you.

How perfect is it that this smug, superior, condescending know-it-all is the face of The Nation?

misterpeasea on June 20, 2008 at 4:56 PM

Video: Left discovers that John McCain doesn’t love America, or something

The only thingies that the circle jerking worms at MSNBC have discovered, is their ding-dongs!

byteshredder on June 20, 2008 at 4:57 PM

So, the storyline is McCain went from “loving” America to “really loving” America after being captured and tortured.

And this “revelation” hurts McCain how?

Yeah, let’s have this tape played repeatedly on the news until election day.

Good job Dan Abrams. Great scoop there.

SteveMG on June 20, 2008 at 5:01 PM

How many times will they prove themselves clueless. This clip is disturbing. There is something clearly misfiring in the thinking process of the left. Could it be the microchip in their brains?

eaglesdontflock on June 20, 2008 at 5:37 PM

That’s right rug boy Abrams. I am always getting McCain and Michelle Obama mixed up. BTW….it was left wing asaults that started the attacks against MM. Get it right jerk.

RobCon on June 20, 2008 at 5:55 PM

He’s not worth the effort to view and comment.
Not diff than Olby or Chrissy Matthews.
Just another lib sucking the sewer for a gotcha clip.

Texyank on June 20, 2008 at 6:06 PM

Why is “Balki” on MSNBC? I wondered what happened to that guy. Who’s there next reporter that they plan on hiring, Al Franken?

Next you’ll be telling me they have used up, sportcasting hacks like, I don’t know…Keith Olbermann…pretending to be serious journalists……suuuurrrre.

Planet Boulder on June 20, 2008 at 6:50 PM

Who cares? Nobody watches MSNBC anyways….

Hog Wild on June 20, 2008 at 7:30 PM

right2bright on June 20, 2008 at 3:28 PMThat is the sweetest, dearest thing I have ever read.

Glynn on June 20, 2008 at 7:45 PM

Darn, I hit the strike agin. What I said was that is the sweetest dearest thing I have ever read. Sorry. I didn’t mean to spoil it. Your wife is a lucky woman but I am betting you are thinking you are a lucky man.

Glynn on June 20, 2008 at 7:46 PM

lol. dan abrams is the guy that levin claims wears a squirrel on his head. Loser.

carbon_footprint on June 20, 2008 at 8:15 PM

Memo to Dan Abrams – who I guess thinks he’s breaking some kind of big “See! McCain No Likey America Either!” news equalizer story?:

Your earth-shattering “if Obamarosa had said what McCain said, Republicans would be all over her for saying those things too” story is laughable.

She didn’t say “those things”.

She clearly said What she said, When and How she Said them! And no amount of spin or ifs will ever change that. Period!

In other words, “‘If’ your grandmother had been born with a set (etc.), she would’ve been your grandfather instead!”

It’s an oft used expression from the greek tradition that you should really keep in mind before you ever again run off to the land of assumptions, presumptions and hypotheticals, Danny.

Moron.