Report: McCain calls for comprehensive immigration reform at private meeting with Hispanic Republicans? Update: In newspaper interview, too?

posted at 12:57 pm on June 20, 2008 by Allahpundit

Exercise caution. There’s only one source, she’s a member of the Minutemen and thus perhaps inclined to look too skeptically at what Maverick says on this subject, and this wouldn’t be the first time in the past few days where the media’s exaggerated something he said at a town hall. Even so, we got a bunch of e-mails this morning about the AP wire report on last night’s “private meeting” in Chicago showcasing this quote from attendee Rosanna Pulido:

“He’s one John McCain in front of white Republicans. And he’s a different John McCain in front of Hispanics,” complained Rosanna Pulido, a Hispanic and conservative Republican who attended the meeting.

Pulido, who heads the Illinois Minuteman Project, which advocates for restrictive immigration laws, said she thought McCain was “pandering to the crowd” by emphasizing immigration reform in his 15-minute speech.

Jake Tapper must have gotten some e-mails too because he called her this morning to follow-up. Quote:

[S]he went to the meeting, a room full of 150-200 people. “Sure enough,” Pulido says, “his mantra at the meeting was comprehensive immigration reform.’ And there were cheers and applause whenever he mentioned comprehensive immigration reform.”

“Then he said, ‘I bet some of you don’t know this — did you know Spanish was spoken in Arizona before English?’ And the crowd roared. I was appalled,” Pulido said. “He was pandering to these people — that’s what they wanted to hear.”…

“He was telling one group of people one thing and the Hispanics another,” says Pulido. “I’m a conservative and I think he’s throwing conservatives under the bus.”…

What she saw of John McCain Wednesday night … makes her inclined right now to support Constitution Party candidate Chuck Baldwin.

People are going to go nuts over the bit about Arizonans speaking Spanish before they spoke English but I suspect that was probably more of a feeble stab at “there’s more that unites us than divides us” than at the sort of promotion of cultural balkanization by government leaders that worries so many voters. Exit question: What really happened? Captain Straight Talk wouldn’t lie about a subject like this, would he? Stay tuned, because believe it or not, Team Barry’s going to go after him on it in a conference call this afternoon.

Update: The conference call is in progress and the charge of Hispandering, if I may borrow Kaus’s term, has been laid.

Update: The boss forwards this translation of an article in Diario Libre about his meeting with the editors of a Hispanic newspaper in L.A.:

New York – The Republican candidate for the White House, Senator John McCain, promised that if he wins, a day after he is sworn in as a new president of the United States, he will pressure Congress to enact a law immediately in favor of immigration reform.

The candidate that appears today eight points behind his Democrat rival Barack Obama, did the pronouncement in an interview that he granted to the Hispanic newspaper La Opinion in Los Angeles…

McCain said that it is completely false that [he] has abandoned his original commitment to fight for reform for the more than 12 million undocumented immigrants that reside in the United States and that includes the failed proposal of President Bush, to secure the borders first.

“This reform will be a priority in my administration because it is a convincing federal responsibility”, added the contender of the Republican Party. “We will undertake immigration reform and on the day after my inauguration, I will ask Congress to reconsider it, although I believe that first we have to secure our borders, set in motion a plan for guest workers that works and to focus on the issue of the undocumented in a humane and compassionate way.”

I’m mildly comforted by his willingness to tell them we need to secure the border first. Did he say that last night, too?

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2 3

All I can say is, if Barack Obama is elected, you will all deserve everything you get. I hope for my sake and for America’s sake that it doesn’t happen, but if it does, I will point the finger of blame squarely at you and your ilk.

TSUGambler on June 20, 2008 at 2:58 PM

I was going to sit this one out, but with bitter moderates like this I may just vote for obama.

right4life on June 20, 2008 at 3:04 PM

I am not happy with the President, the Congress, and after that last performance, the Supreme Court.

This country is going down hill fast, and I,m not sure which candidate will run us down faster.

Amnesty for millions and millions of illegal cheaters dumped on the American electorate is hard to top.

saiga on June 20, 2008 at 3:07 PM

but if it does, I will point the finger of blame squarely at you and your ilk.

TSUGambler on June 20, 2008 at 2:58 PM

If Obama wins it will be on that fool McCain and his koolaid drinking supporters who got him the nomination. That’s about it.

MB4 on June 20, 2008 at 3:07 PM

John McCain would reduce government spending and make the Bush tax cuts permanent.

There is no reason to believe this, and good reason to believe otherwise.

McCains amnesty and global warming plans would greately increase government spending. And the Bush tax cuts will expire if Congress decides not to renew them. McCain won’t have much say in the matter. The fact that he originally opposed those “tax cuts for the rich” as he called them won’t help him in keeping the cuts.

McCain would have a far more muscular and effective foreign policy.

I don’t think there is any good reason to believe that.

Really? Immigration reform is your top issue?

Really, it is. Once McCain gets done filling America with left wing voters, we’re going to get all Obama’s policies anyway.

What will it take to get you people to understand that “immigrants” are not just labor, they are people and voters? And tens of millions of them are enough people to drastically alter the political landscape in America, permanently.

Where will your concern about tax cuts and government spending be then?

flenser on June 20, 2008 at 3:13 PM

I will point the finger of blame squarely at you and your ilk.

That’s nice. And if either Obama or McCain wins, I will point the finger of blame at you.

flenser on June 20, 2008 at 3:14 PM

In 1986 the government promised its citizens that they would secure the border if we would let the illegals who were here at the time stay. We said OK.

The people that were here illegally have been citizens for decades. We’re still waiting for the border to be secured.

Now, McCain comes along and says he’ll secure the border if we let the people who are here illegally stay. I say NO. Secure the border first, like you promised 22 years ago, and then we’ll talk about what to do about the people who are here illegally. Until the border is secure and until the problem with over-stays has been dealt with I don’t want to hear anything about what to do with the people who are here illegally – unless it’s to enforce existing law.

I said months ago that I would vote for McCain, suck as he may, because he said he “got the message” and would secure the border first. If what is claimed McCain said in Chicago is true, I won’t vote for him.

jaime on June 20, 2008 at 3:16 PM

MB4 on June 20, 2008 at 3:07 PM

Right on.

Seems to be a little projection maybe – maybe this guy knows McCain is an empty suit and is hedging his bets?

McCain couldn’t possibly be responsible for anything if he loses to Obambi – it’ll be the rest of our faults.

The more I hear and read from people like this, the more I know McCain is no Republican, let alone a Conservative.

catmman on June 20, 2008 at 3:16 PM

McCain got Obama the nomination? That doesn’t even make sense. And believe me, saying that I’m a bitter moderate is really rich. The commenters here DEFINE the word bitter. Just read all the comments again, and you’ll see what I mean. On second thought, you probably won’t.

TSUGambler on June 20, 2008 at 3:16 PM

McCain got Obama the nomination?

TSUGambler on June 20, 2008 at 3:16 PM

The nomination? Who said that?

MB4 on June 20, 2008 at 3:19 PM

I am getting to the place where I care less and less about this issue.

Terrye, when did you ever know anything about this issue, or care about it? You think it’s about that nice hard working Hispanic guy on the family farm.

flenser on June 20, 2008 at 3:19 PM

If Obama wins it will be on that fool McCain and his koolaid drinking supporters who got him [McCain ! ] the nomination. That’s about it.

MB4 on June 20, 2008 at 3:07 PM

MB4 on June 20, 2008 at 3:21 PM

My bad. I didn’t understand your comment.

TSUGambler on June 20, 2008 at 3:29 PM

But don’t expect me to join them, and don’t tell me that I have a “responsibility” to do so.

flenser on June 20, 2008 at 2:40 PM

Not really the responsibility I was referring to, but nevermind – you clearly have a radically different view of the situation than my own.

Whatever your decision, it is only one among millions, and you will live with the outcome regardless. Whether or not you actively participated is irrelevant.

I imagine there’s some therapeutic value in being able to point at everyone else and sneer. I don’t think we currently have the luxury of indulging in that kind of narcissism. YMMV.

I imagine you shaking your fists at the incoming tidal floodwater.

I also suspect you’ll cast your vote for McCain.

LimeyGeek on June 20, 2008 at 3:34 PM

My God, I’m a fool. I actually thought some positive thoughts about McCain yesterday during and after his Town Hall thing, DESPITE all these decades of knowing to

“Never trust that d@#^ed Admiral’s son”

The scorpion strikes again. It is his nature.

LegendHasIt on June 20, 2008 at 3:43 PM

I support Comprehensive Enforcement of Current Immigration Laws. McCain and Obama both are pandering for Votes from those that respect no laws. This is very troubling.

On Federal Laws, hell, I’d love to just ignore the ones that I don’t like:

* Income Tax, I don’t like the tax code so I won’t pay.
* Firearms Laws, Gee, I’d love to have a machine gun or two, maybe some mortars, an artillery piece or two as well.
* Dope dealers make a lot of tax free cash, maybe I should get into that racket too.
* Insider trading, It sure would be swell to get some insider info and cash in there as well.
* With all of that extra unreported income and no taxes I could be like Soros and buy off a few politicians and Judges and be set for life!

Either existing laws are respected and enforced or we have anarchy. McCain does not get it. Obama and his crew hold no common values that I live by. I adhere to the rule of Law.
I admire honesty and despise career politicians.

Tough choices here today. I spent the majority of my Adult Life sworn to a higher standard, went to three wars and peace keeping missions in every hell hole that the planet has to offer.

All of this pandering is tough for me to stomach.

old trooper on June 20, 2008 at 3:46 PM

Who, in their right mind, has a closed-door meeting in this campaign, and expect it to be, uh, secret? Ah, never mind. I embrace the irony! (Of having to choose between two “progressive” candidates, of course.)

Nichevo on June 20, 2008 at 3:48 PM

For supposedly ‘comprehensive” immigration reform, I see precious little comprehension of the situation.

LimeyGeek on June 20, 2008 at 3:48 PM

old trooper on June 20, 2008 at 3:46 PM

It’s not pandering, hater!

He’s just saying and doing things to get the votes of a specific ethnic demographic!

Duh!

catmman on June 20, 2008 at 3:49 PM

He’s not pandering, he’s temporally differentiating his acquiescence.

LimeyGeek on June 20, 2008 at 3:52 PM

There is one SURE way the Dems can win in November – and that is to successfully convince conservatives (with McCainiac’s help) that McCain has not really abandoned his shamnesty position.

If a HINT of this so-called “Hispandering” comes out – if there’s video or audio of McCain (surreptitiously) promising to get right at “immigration reform” (caode for amnesty) . . . then McCain is toast. It’s as simple as that.

The absolute ANGER that is seething beneath the surface of conservatives (I feel it right this moment) over McCain’s performance over immigration “reform” last year, is still raw, and felt deeply.

McCain’s incredible arrogance over immigation – and the pitiful way he treated conservatives who dared to disagree with him, will be his undoing if he is not careful.

It’s going to be hard enough (even in the face of commie barack Obama) to vote for the sham conservative McCain.

Standard disclaimer: “Oh, yes, oh, yes, i salute his service to the country, and hereby acknowledge that he s simply the best of the best when it comes to the war in Iraq and the war on terrorism….. But THAT’S IT!!!)

seanrobins on June 20, 2008 at 3:53 PM

Allahpundit Writes: Report: McCain calls for comprehensive immigration reform at private meeting with Hispanic Republicans?

Translation: McCain tosses conservative Republicans under the bus in exchange for votes.

Scorched_Earth on June 20, 2008 at 3:54 PM

I don’t have any particular preference as to whether somebody shoots me with a 9mm or a 38 Special. I don’t want to be shot, period.

I think the analogy is more like “you’re going to be shot in either the knee, gut or head – choose now”

LimeyGeek on June 20, 2008 at 2:04 PM

And then you have people telling you… “You BETTER choose your knee, because otherwise it’s going to be your head!”

But… I don’t want to be shot at all…

dominigan on June 20, 2008 at 3:55 PM

Can somebody PUH-LEEEEASE explain to me what the heck is wrong with Hispanic-Americans (meaning: that demographic of legals and CITIZENS of Hispanic descent who mindlessly support the free flow of criminal foreigners who spurn our laws, and treat our national border as a revolving door)???

Aren’t they citizens, too? Don’t (Shouldn’t) all American citizens care about the integrity of our borders. and about the law?

I just don’t understand the mindlessness of it all.

seanrobins on June 20, 2008 at 3:57 PM

Unfortunately, the time to avoid being shot is past. If you can think of a way to avoid being shot at this juncture, I’d love to hear it. Refusing to choose the head or the knee doesn’t mean that you won’t get shot, it just means that someone else will choose the point of impact. I’d rather not get shot, either, but since that’s not in my power to avoid, I’m going to use what power I DO have and try to get the bullet as far away from anything vital as possible.

TSUGambler on June 20, 2008 at 3:58 PM

I don’t think his military service qualifies him for anything. It’s admirable, and demonstrates mettle, but it doesn’t magically give him special insight beyond other (non-military) intelligent people.

LimeyGeek on June 20, 2008 at 4:04 PM

It’s part of the culture. Millions of citizens are here because of the 1986 Amnesty. If it’s good enough for them, it’s good enough for their fellow countrymen.

Rewarding bad behavior begets more bad behavior.

jaime on June 20, 2008 at 4:06 PM

Ése no es el McCain que conocía.

misterpeasea on June 20, 2008 at 4:07 PM

McCain seems absolutely bound and determined to lose this election.

DaMav on June 20, 2008 at 4:08 PM

We have far too many ‘citizens’ that are nothing of the sort. They merely occupy space.

Don’t expect them to have any understanding of what it is to be an American. Don’t be surprised if they have no concept of what it takes to preserve our way of life. Rely on them being a worthless drain on America.

LimeyGeek on June 20, 2008 at 4:09 PM

Seanrobbins; the people were so angry that they breezed McCain to the party nomination.He’s been spitting in (so called) conservatives faces for years with impunity, and nowthey’ll get mad and there will be consequences? I won’t be holding my breath.
As for Americans of hispanic descent, I’m friends with several here in Arizona, and I can tell you none of them are at all on board with amnesty, La Raza, open borders , or any other such thing. They’re Americans with the same concerns as you and I.

tomk59 on June 20, 2008 at 4:13 PM

seanrobins on June 20, 2008 at 3:53 PM

To add, I don’t think he is all that great on the war on terror…applaud his service, but just because one serves doesn’t make one right…aka John Kerry, Clark, Murtha… Would he be better than Obama, sure, but it isn’t enough for me to shout hooray McCain will save the day.

I am really hoping McCain sends a very clear signal and pick a non-conservative for vp, as it will mean more votes to third party.

Conservative Voice on June 20, 2008 at 4:17 PM

Zetterson, I know exactly what you mean, but I feel it in my gut that after 4-8 years we will no longer recognize our country, and it will not be retrievable. You will think back to now. Be very careful what you wish for. Obama is way more dangerous than all apearances. This is mob appeal like no other, based only on empty ideology and no substance, the most dangerous kind.

Good luck.

Entelechy on June 20, 2008 at 2:11 PM

E, just out of curiosity, what makes Obama so much more dangerous then any other Dem? You seem to fear his time in office much more than I do. I think its important for me to understand why that is. Anything specific that stands out to you and seperates him from other Dems or is it a feeling that you have? Are their certain character traits that are more familiar to you than I? Allow me to pick your brain for a minute if you don’t mind.

Zetterson on June 20, 2008 at 4:21 PM

Zetterson, if I may jump in. I think it’s not just Obama himself- the reasons are obvious- but that he could have a veto proof congress, and therefore virtual impunity to push through his plans. Not to mention said virtual impunity to shape the Supreme Court for many years.

tomk59 on June 20, 2008 at 4:31 PM

The danger is that, unlike under Bill Clinton, there will be Democratic majorities in both the House and Senate. I’m no fan of unified government, but especially not unified government under the Democrats. If that’s the case, I see us looking frighteningly like Canada before too long.

TSUGambler on June 20, 2008 at 4:31 PM

tomk59 on June 20, 2008 at 4:31 PM

Right. His personal failings are splattered all over HA, but my deepest concerns are for the influences his presidency will expose our government to.

LimeyGeek on June 20, 2008 at 4:36 PM

Zetterson, mob appeal of this magnitude, based on little to nothing, is extremely dangerous. The cockiness, the self-assumed inevitability, the reach to lead the world, the look in his eyes, the hand gestures, the emty rhetoric, the ‘charm’, the elitism, all covering up an enormous amount of bitterness and calculation. If he makes it you will remember this, vividly.

The deceiving part is most dangerous. This is not someone running to be the president of all Americans, nor someone looking to cooperate. Nothing in his actions (and words are just empty words, deeds count) proves that. He and Michelle have a predetermined agenda of socialsm/Marxism, mixed with he anarchysm. They will push it down our throat with ease, having a proof majoirity in both houses. The SCOTUS can become 6/4 easily. I listed all the other concerns, repeatedly.

This is Dr. Jekyll, with no Mr. Hyde. The Hyde part is just for now. Beware, and be very afraid. It happened before. See Chavez, but this one is better at it, as he’s more subte, and shrewder.

Entelechy on June 20, 2008 at 4:37 PM

tomk59 on June 20, 2008 at 4:31 PM

Good point about the veto proof congress but he’ll be replacing liberals with liberals on the Supreme Court. If Alito or Roberts or Thomas or Scalia’s time was up I’d be worried but they’ll be around for a while. If the Republicans can somehow manage to hold onto the seats in the House and the Senate than they will be positioned in such a way, if history is any indicator, to be most effective at pushing our ideas.

Zetterson on June 20, 2008 at 4:39 PM

Also, Zetterson, et all, never forget who finances him, beyond the $5 plebs. Soros is one of the most dangerous men to this country, as we know it.

Entelechy on June 20, 2008 at 4:39 PM

Entelechy on June 20, 2008 at 4:37 PM

I hope you are wrong because at this point we have no savior.

Zetterson on June 20, 2008 at 4:41 PM

Entelechy on June 20, 2008 at 4:39 PM

Thanks for the expanation though E. There is much to think about.

Zetterson on June 20, 2008 at 4:42 PM

Zetterson, anything can happen to any of the judges. Some are not spring chickens, on your side.

Entelechy on June 20, 2008 at 4:42 PM

Would it be possible for Obama to add SCOTUS judges?

LimeyGeek on June 20, 2008 at 4:46 PM

Zetterson, if I’m wrong, I’ll be the first to say so. It won’t be so on this one. I’m pretty good with people, as I work with them all the time. I’ve got him and Michelle figured out, since a while ago. It’s actually not hard – it’s all in front of us. They try to hide it well, but it’s all there. Ignore the media. Just watch, and take note.

I generally don’t doubt our electorate but this time I’ve given up on them. I hope they prove me wrong in Nov. They want change, but not the kind the Obamas will bring.

Entelechy on June 20, 2008 at 4:47 PM

LimeyGeek on June 20, 2008 at 4:46 PM

Yes, very possible. But then again, its matter of will congress let him, even if Democrats control both houses, if the people are on guard, they will respond.

Conservative Voice on June 20, 2008 at 4:54 PM

DaMav on June 20, 2008 at 4:08 PM

That’s what I’m thinking. It’s stupidity on a level that doesn’t deserve the Presidency. Some Neo-Con Republicans, or as I like to refer to them as Reagan Democrats, took the media bait hook, line, and sinker that McCain was the least tainted candidate. Obama’s gonna win this. Look at all the special elections and how bad we’re getting shlacked. I don’t want it to happen but I’m not blind or an ostrich sticking my head in the sand.

For the first time in my life, I’m REALLY concerned about the outcome of an election and the lack of knowledgeable voters regarding the world and the USA in general. I mean really worried. With oil prices as they are, Democrats calling for nationalization of oil and health care, the Supreme Court ruling that enemy combatants should get US citizen rights and treated like mob style criminals, Iran on the verge of nuclear weopondry, McCain calling to legalize illegals, the scam that is Global Warming, free speech rights of US citizens being thwarted in foreign countries, the lack of leadership in the UN that would leave a guy like Mugabee in power, the KGB style smack down being instituted by Putan, the Venezuelan gorilla in our mist, and US citizen’s lack of basic Economics 101 understanding, we’re gonna get hurt these next four years and very badly. But this kind of hurt is gonna take more than a Ronald Reagan and 8 years to recover from if we ever do. People are too complacent to cause any uproar of the Europeanizing, and socializing of a great democracy. You’ll find government taking over your homes then taking over your family. Once it starts, it’s hard to turn it around. How many countries do you know that have done it?

Sultry Beauty on June 20, 2008 at 4:55 PM

Your point is a good one Zetterson, but no sure thing. Scalia is 72, and even though Roberts and Alito are much younger, death makes no promises- other than that it will get around to all of us eventually.

tomk59 on June 20, 2008 at 4:56 PM

if the people are on guard, they will respond.

Conservative Voice on June 20, 2008 at 4:54 PM

That is a terrifying “if”, and I’m betting against the people.

LimeyGeek on June 20, 2008 at 5:01 PM

Sad to say LG, but I agree. With all that has happened over the years to this point, I have very, very little faith in ‘the people’ as a whole.

tomk59 on June 20, 2008 at 5:04 PM

McCain would not be able to do a single thing about SCt judges with a Democrat-dominated Senate. Bush had a hard enough time replacing a conservative and an unprincipled moderate with conservatives.

No way the Dems will go along with replacing a liberal with a conservative, even if McCain was inclined, and he’s been a bit scattershot on the issue.

It would be fun to see McCain try to replace Ginsburg or Stevens with a sane justice over the howls from the Senate, but judges is not a very convincing reason to prefer McCain to Bambi.

misterpeasea on June 20, 2008 at 5:05 PM

SECOND LOOK AT SECESSION

LimeyGeek on June 20, 2008 at 5:06 PM

E, true anything can happen with SCOTUS. Knock on wood.

I’ll keep a close eye on the Obamas as you suggest. I’ll look for it. There is much that can happen from now to election day. If what you say is there, with this 24/7 news coverage, I will see it I’m sure.

On a semi-related note, the Big S was arguing earlier on in this thread that the American public’s antipathy towards illegal immigrants was bound to subside. Incidentally, a friend of mine just happened to pass on this video a few minutes ago. Big S, if you are still around, it may behoove you to watch this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bLJxmJZXgNI

Zetterson on June 20, 2008 at 5:08 PM

tomk59 on June 20, 2008 at 4:56 PM

Come on tomk59, you may be absolutely correct and all but did you really have to kick off my weekend with that uplifting reality? Lets start telling the truth again on Monday shall we?

Zetterson on June 20, 2008 at 5:11 PM

Heh, sorry Z. I try to have fun, but I keep waiting for that other damn shoe to fall!

tomk59 on June 20, 2008 at 5:17 PM

I think the left feeds the right issues like this just to make trouble. I am sick of it. I really am. I am getting to the place where I care less and less about this issue. It is not even possible to talk about it like rational people. Screw it.

Terrye on June 20, 2008 at 2:58 PM

Although I’ve asked you twice before where you lived and you never responded, I saw the other day on another thread that you live in rural Indiana outside of Bloomington. You may want to take a look at the US Census.

Here are the stats for Bloomington:

Foreign born persons, percent, 2000 8.1%
Language other than English spoken at home, pct 2000 11.7%
Persons of Hispanic or Latino origin, percent, 2000 2.5%

Here are the stats for Dallas:

Foreign born persons, percent, 2000 24.4%
Language other than English spoken at home, 2000 37.1%
Persons of Hispanic or Latino origin, percent, 2000 35.6%

This info is from the 2000 Census. It is much worse now. You don’t care about this issue because it doesn’t affect you in a meaningful way. You actually still live in America. So please give those of us a break who are on the front lines.

mrsmwp on June 20, 2008 at 5:28 PM

It is not even possible to talk about it like rational people. Screw it.

Terrye on June 20, 2008 at 2:58 PM

“If you people don’t agree with me, you’re irrational.”

Did you watch Zetterson’s link?

misterpeasea on June 20, 2008 at 5:52 PM

That’s probably an injustice to Hispanic-Americans. By all accounts they are nearly as devoted to the cause of amnesty and the merger of America with Mexico as are Bush and McCain.

No, the blame for this monstrosity lies with Americans of English and Irish descent.

flenser on June 20, 2008 at 5:54 PM

We need to take a good look at Mexico and ask ourselves if we want America to look like that. I say “no.” Mexico is a failed state. Let’s not emulate it.

Mojave Mark on June 20, 2008 at 5:58 PM

You people give McCain way too much credit. If he was doing it for votes I’d still be against it, but I could respect it in a power politics sort of way.

But for all his hatred of conservatives and his ass kissing of Hispanics, McAmnesty is still getting creamed by Obama among Hispanics. He’ll wind up getting a little less of the Hispanic vote than Bush did in 2004.

McCain is doing what he’s doing for ideological reasons, not from cold hard political calculation. Politically speaking, the issue hurts him badly.

flenser on June 20, 2008 at 6:00 PM

Well, you would know.

I imagine you shaking your fists at the incoming tidal floodwater.

I’m the one warning people of the incoming tidal wave and urging them to seek higher ground. You’re the one who imagines he can come to some accomodation with it.

I also suspect you’ll cast your vote for McCain.

I’ve learned never to say never. But barring some new development, I won’t be voting for Mcain.

flenser on June 20, 2008 at 6:16 PM

I fundamentally don’t get the Hispanic support of illegal immigration. I am Russian, I have lots of Russian friends here. I have no intention to abandon my culture. My kid will not be allowed to speak English AT HOME. So it’s not like I hate “my people”. I also support increased legal immigration. But having borders under no control can’t be good for many reasons.

I absolutely think there’s gotta be SOME kind of flexibility. It’s cruel to send “back” someone in his/her twenties if they were brought here illegally when they were 2. But you still need to go back for a working visa, get a legitimate employment in the private sector, insurance etc.

In other words, a path to legalization should be truly an opportunity, not a handout. If you’re strict to the point of “go back, i don’t give a shit” then it’s not gonna work (among other things). But a reasonable approach would.

Of course, the Republicans are jut as complicit in raising these ethnic lobbies into prominence. Look at how Miami controls the Federal policy towards Cuba.

freevillage on June 20, 2008 at 6:48 PM

Again, some of you are confusing Americans of Hispanic descent with radical, agenda driven groups such as La Raza. I know many Hispanics. I don’t know one who is in support of illegals, open borders, etc..

tomk59 on June 20, 2008 at 6:53 PM

freevillage on June 20, 2008 at 6:48 PM

Thank you for confirming my long held suspicions.

LegendHasIt on June 20, 2008 at 7:28 PM

Thank you for confirming my long held suspicions.

LegendHasIt on June 20, 2008 at 7:28 PM

Heh. Our very own anti-Ayn.

Да, мы можем

misterpeasea on June 20, 2008 at 7:34 PM

Pay very close attention to what Entelechy says about Obama. She knows from experience growing up under a Communist regime the danger Obama poses. He is a Marxist with mesmerizing ways, appealing to the easily led. His vision for America is not one any of us share, and I don’t want him in a position of power by default.

McCain cannot institute comprehensive immigration reform on his own. He needs a willing Congress to legislate reform that allows for amnesty. The grassroots prevented that travesty with all of its loopholes once; the grassroots can foil another such effort. The key is to elect enough senators and respresentatives that reflect our views and to inundate those in office who are wishy-washy.

That said, in a townhall setting McCain needs to be called out and questioned specifically about such private meetings with select groups and the provocative remarks or promises that he has made to them.

onlineanalyst on June 20, 2008 at 7:47 PM

freevillage on June 20, 2008 at 6:48 PM

Then please go back to where you wish to be.

If you do not wish to join the AMERICAN culture, then what the HELL are you doin here?

YOUR culture made your country a PIT. Mexico’s CULTURE made it a pit… and now you wish to bring it here?

You want all of the benefits, but don’t understand how this country came to be great in the first place….

God, makes me sick.

My forefathers came to this country and JOINED with it… did not set themselves apart. Fought for it, died for it, and JOINED with it….

Romeo13 on June 20, 2008 at 8:06 PM

onlineanalyst on June 20, 2008 at 7:47 PM

This is an argument against a McCain presidency, it seems to me.

The Democrats are going to vote for amnesty. Are more Republicans going to vote for amnesty with President McCain giving them cover, or with President Obama to oppose?

misterpeasea on June 20, 2008 at 8:08 PM

Just curious. Since taxes are taken out of your check before you get it, how, other than not going to work, do you not pay your taxes?

tomk59 on June 20, 2008 at 2:21 PM

I read a proposal about this some time ago. You do it by declaring max exemptions. It was a good idea, but it didn’t really contend with the government reaction that would be sure to happen before the next check was cut.

DFCtomm on June 20, 2008 at 8:14 PM

freevillage on June 20, 2008 at 6:48 PM

I can understand how culture is important to you, but if it is then why are you here instead of in Russia where you obviously would be more comfortable? Are you here for purely mercenary reason? If your culture is so important that you won’t allow your children to speak English at home, then why is it so confusing to you that we would wish to protect our culture in the same way.

DFCtomm on June 20, 2008 at 8:28 PM

DFCtomm on June 20, 2008 at 8:14 PM

Couple years ago I worked at a place where a lady changed her W-4 almost every 3-4 weeks. There was no reaction from the government, the payroll person said it was up to this person to make sure her correct amount of taxes were paid by 4/15 each year. I was told they have to allow it. The employee doing it would adjust according to her needs. She would readjust it later to take out more money when she was caught up.

If it’s true they have to allow it, a few people won’t be noticed. But I expect a lot of people doing it would attract a lot of attention.

Shay on June 20, 2008 at 8:29 PM

Shay on June 20, 2008 at 8:29 PM

You’re example is one woman who apparently is very indecisive, and that is a completely different issue that a revenue threatening grassroots movement. The Republicans and the Democrats can’t agree on much, but if you mess with their cash flow, then I think they could come to a speedy agreement about how to deal with it, and the group that instigated it.

DFCtomm on June 20, 2008 at 8:34 PM

DFCtomm on June 20, 2008 at 8:34 PM

Oops – I didn’t mean to insinuate that she was doing it as any kind of protest of rebellion. I was just pointing out that it can be done without interference. I just don’t think it can be done by a LOT of people without interference.

Shay on June 20, 2008 at 8:41 PM

DFCtomm on June 20, 2008 at 8:14 PM

I’m no accountant, but we have a large family. When I followed the instructions on the form, I received a note from HR stating that I had exceeded the number of exemptions allowed without paperwork justifying it.

It was easier to reduce the number to the max that wasn’t questioned.

I think you could reduce your withholding pretty easily (at least for Federal Income Tax, won’t touch Social Security, Medicare). Eliminating IRS would be hard unless your income is low, or you are willing to risk a fraud prosecution by coming up with documents to justify more exemptions than the IRS allows.

cs89 on June 20, 2008 at 8:53 PM

Decojonification of U.S.

So you’re defending McCain on the basis of his cojones? Will all his policy planks be in Spanish?

aengus on June 20, 2008 at 9:06 PM

From your lips to God’s ears (however that goes…)

I just pray that you are right.

seanrobins on June 21, 2008 at 12:27 AM

tomk59 on June 20, 2008 at 6:53 PM

Maybe it’s a generational thing. I know some 18-27 yr olds who were born and raised in the WA to: an American mother and an illegal father; and a legal immigrant and an illegal immigrant who got amnesty in 1986.

In spite of my frequent attempts to explain to them that they were Americans, and that illegal immigration affected them negatively also, they were pretty enthusiastic about reclaiming Mexican territory, illegals demanding their rights, etc.

misterpeasea on June 21, 2008 at 12:35 AM

It’s an American thing. I won’t hold you responsible for the sins of your father. I will take you as you are, irregardless of where you come from, be it social strata, nation, anything.
These days, it’s all about attaching labels, and broad brush statements. But nothing, especially people , is ever that simple , is it?
I’m not a simple or stupid man. But while things aren’t always as simple as they seem at first glance, they’re not that hard , either.
I miss being USMC, force recon. Things were much better then. We saw this coming. It still hurts. And a lot of times, I don’t know WTF some of you are talking about.
But tommorow’s another day, and I’ll show up again.

tomk59 on June 21, 2008 at 12:48 AM

So once again we learn that we can’t trust John McCain when he speaks to Conservatives. It’s a shame that he never stabs the Liberals in the back like he does us Conservatives.

Oh well, that’s fine. I’ve already sworn that I wouldn’t vote for McCain if Satan was literally running against him.

Snake307 on June 21, 2008 at 1:07 AM

looks like mccain will reap what he sows.

chasdal on June 21, 2008 at 3:54 AM

I told you so McCain supporters! You should not have supported him and every day he not only panders to the left but he is showing his true colors.

mariloubaker on June 21, 2008 at 4:06 AM

We the American people elect the President of the United States and we get exactly what we vote for…and obviously Senator John F’n McCain is what the Republican Party stands for these days. I do not, will not and therefore shall not support or vote for his…EVER! Good luck Senator! You are going to need it!

sabbott on June 21, 2008 at 7:08 AM

MB4 on June 20, 2008 at 3:07 PM

Well, that’s just great. Are you typical of the right-wing bloggers who want to blame rank and file Republicans for not wanting a fringe far-right candidate for President. If so, you make me happy about McCain, though I think McCain’s immigration is terrible. Here’s a message from reality for you. The vast majority of Republican and Democrat voters may not follow politics much, but they do know that want neither the far left nor the far right in power. It’s great that at least the Republican party was responsive to their desires this time around.

thuja on June 23, 2008 at 1:58 PM