Report: McCain calls for comprehensive immigration reform at private meeting with Hispanic Republicans? Update: In newspaper interview, too?

posted at 12:57 pm on June 20, 2008 by Allahpundit

Exercise caution. There’s only one source, she’s a member of the Minutemen and thus perhaps inclined to look too skeptically at what Maverick says on this subject, and this wouldn’t be the first time in the past few days where the media’s exaggerated something he said at a town hall. Even so, we got a bunch of e-mails this morning about the AP wire report on last night’s “private meeting” in Chicago showcasing this quote from attendee Rosanna Pulido:

“He’s one John McCain in front of white Republicans. And he’s a different John McCain in front of Hispanics,” complained Rosanna Pulido, a Hispanic and conservative Republican who attended the meeting.

Pulido, who heads the Illinois Minuteman Project, which advocates for restrictive immigration laws, said she thought McCain was “pandering to the crowd” by emphasizing immigration reform in his 15-minute speech.

Jake Tapper must have gotten some e-mails too because he called her this morning to follow-up. Quote:

[S]he went to the meeting, a room full of 150-200 people. “Sure enough,” Pulido says, “his mantra at the meeting was comprehensive immigration reform.’ And there were cheers and applause whenever he mentioned comprehensive immigration reform.”

“Then he said, ‘I bet some of you don’t know this — did you know Spanish was spoken in Arizona before English?’ And the crowd roared. I was appalled,” Pulido said. “He was pandering to these people — that’s what they wanted to hear.”…

“He was telling one group of people one thing and the Hispanics another,” says Pulido. “I’m a conservative and I think he’s throwing conservatives under the bus.”…

What she saw of John McCain Wednesday night … makes her inclined right now to support Constitution Party candidate Chuck Baldwin.

People are going to go nuts over the bit about Arizonans speaking Spanish before they spoke English but I suspect that was probably more of a feeble stab at “there’s more that unites us than divides us” than at the sort of promotion of cultural balkanization by government leaders that worries so many voters. Exit question: What really happened? Captain Straight Talk wouldn’t lie about a subject like this, would he? Stay tuned, because believe it or not, Team Barry’s going to go after him on it in a conference call this afternoon.

Update: The conference call is in progress and the charge of Hispandering, if I may borrow Kaus’s term, has been laid.

Update: The boss forwards this translation of an article in Diario Libre about his meeting with the editors of a Hispanic newspaper in L.A.:

New York – The Republican candidate for the White House, Senator John McCain, promised that if he wins, a day after he is sworn in as a new president of the United States, he will pressure Congress to enact a law immediately in favor of immigration reform.

The candidate that appears today eight points behind his Democrat rival Barack Obama, did the pronouncement in an interview that he granted to the Hispanic newspaper La Opinion in Los Angeles…

McCain said that it is completely false that [he] has abandoned his original commitment to fight for reform for the more than 12 million undocumented immigrants that reside in the United States and that includes the failed proposal of President Bush, to secure the borders first.

“This reform will be a priority in my administration because it is a convincing federal responsibility”, added the contender of the Republican Party. “We will undertake immigration reform and on the day after my inauguration, I will ask Congress to reconsider it, although I believe that first we have to secure our borders, set in motion a plan for guest workers that works and to focus on the issue of the undocumented in a humane and compassionate way.”

I’m mildly comforted by his willingness to tell them we need to secure the border first. Did he say that last night, too?

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2 3

If he becomes the GOP nominee we need to get behind a third party run, because both Obama and McCain will destroy this country.

flenser on June 20, 2008 at 1:52 PM

No third party candidate will win this year and the country will be destoyed just the same. We’re totally scroomed.

Entelechy on June 20, 2008 at 1:59 PM

I’ve never understood this logic. Now that he’s the nominee, even if he’s clearly wrong on a particular issue, we should simply smile, genuflect and wish him the best?

Slublog on June 20, 2008 at 1:53 PM

Absolutely. Once the vote in a primary is cast, citizens are now longer bound to remember the duty of accountability! Of course, a vote every 4 years is a pesky nuisance, so hopefully we can dispense with that archaic operation soon. Think of all the press conferences we’d save if we gave up the accountability issue all together! Nirvana!

Spirit of 1776 on June 20, 2008 at 2:00 PM

a capella on June 20, 2008 at 1:37 PM

Great point!

McCain says it (CIR) won’t come up again if he wins; now he’ll put it forth himself within 24hrs of taking office!

Shouldn’t this be the point? Perhaps he can be asked this question during the next TH?

catmman on June 20, 2008 at 2:00 PM

It is inconceivable, at this point, to imagine a situation where Obama & McCain are not the chosen POTUS candidates.

They’d have to eat a live baby seasoned with cocaine in a brothel to get dumped by their respective parties.

One of these guys is most definitely going to be POTUS, and even though my principles dictate never to vote for a pillock like McCain, I cannot allow Obama’s votes to go unchallenged.

When Hillary was still in the race, I imagined the choice to be between flatulence, constipation and diarrhea (McCain being flatulence, and Hillary being constipation). At least everyone can enjoy a good fart once in a while.

LimeyGeek on June 20, 2008 at 2:00 PM

At best, they’re the same, and I’d suspect that Obama won’t be building a wall or enforcing the border at all once in office. It’s not an issue on which there’s enough daylight to care, let alone hold a press conference.

All true. And given that this is the defining issue of our time, indeed that it’s the issue on which the future existence of America depends, why sit around arguing about which one is better or worse? I don’t have any particular preference as to whether somebody shoots me with a 9mm or a 38 Special. I don’t want to be shot, period.

flenser on June 20, 2008 at 2:01 PM

I should have added, we’re totally scroomed, but the world will get its Messiah, and global tax and the decojonification of the U.S. will be rapidly on its way.

Good luck to all of us, as we pay with our hard earned taxes.

WAKE UP AMERICA!!!

Entelechy on June 20, 2008 at 2:02 PM

What do you mean? Endemic racism among hispanics?

LimeyGeek on June 20, 2008 at 1:42 PM

Si.

MB4 on June 20, 2008 at 2:03 PM

I think the analogy is more like “you’re going to be shot in either the knee, gut or head – choose now”

LimeyGeek on June 20, 2008 at 2:04 PM

It was “inconceivable” at this time last year that the Republican party would nominate McCain. (And, arguably, they didn’t.) Historical determinism is for the left, not for conservatives.

flenser on June 20, 2008 at 2:04 PM

Entelechy, have to disagree on a fence not working.Combined with other measures, it would accomplish it’s goal just fine. Look at the drop in crossings in parts of Arizona or San Diego.
You can’t say something doesn’t work when it’s never actually been tried.

tomk59 on June 20, 2008 at 2:05 PM

Well, that was really my point. Obama’s going to hammer McCain … how?

Ed Morrissey on June 20, 2008 at 1:50 PM

Because BHO doesn’t look like an extra in “Night of the Living Dead”. And constantly lie to his Party’s left-wing base. And run around like an crazy witch trying to sweep crap with a broom when he gives another schizophrenic policy statement. BHO is just another absurdly incompetent affirmative action case, but McCain is just.. normally incompetent.

Here’s the “Bob Dole Rule”:
Whenever an old grouchy fart runs against a mediagenic young putz, the old fart always loses his ass.
You do the math..

TexasJew on June 20, 2008 at 2:05 PM

Good luck to all of us, as we pay with our hard earned taxes.

We could all stop paying our taxes.

Just a thought.

LimeyGeek on June 20, 2008 at 2:05 PM

and even though my principles dictate never to vote for a pillock like McCain,
LimeyGeek on June 20, 2008 at 2:00 PM

pillock
noun

1. (context, UK, mildly, pejorative, slang) a stupid or annoying person; simpleton; fool.

Etymology: The origin of pillock is believed to go back to the 16th century meaning penis

JiangxiDad on June 20, 2008 at 2:06 PM

2004 CBS poll: “…Most Americans oppose temporary work permits for illegal immigrants”.

Harris Poll commissioned by FAIR: “The poll found that Americans oppose an amnesty for illegal aliens by a 60 percent to 29 percent margin… [it] came on the heels of a poll commissioned by the Service Employees International Union (SEIU), the largest immigrant union in the U.S., and Catholic Healthcare West…That survey found that Americans oppose an amnesty by a 49 to 40 percent margin…”

Zogby Poll : “…poll finds that the majority of Americans (55 percent) think that an amnesty is a bad or very bad idea compared to 34 percent who think it is a good or very good idea.”

Numbers USA roundup of polls here.

Guess it depends, huh?

linlithgow on June 20, 2008 at 2:06 PM

Don’t blame conservatives for being pissed at McCain. It’s what McCain wants.

JiangxiDad on June 20, 2008 at 1:55 PM

It is? According to whom?

Slublog on June 20, 2008 at 1:53 PM

Is McCain wrong about sealing the borders? And yes…we should be putting aside any differences we may have with our nominee until after the election. Clearly, more of the conservative agenda will get done with McCain than with Obama. The only thing that matters right now is getting a Republican in the WH.

What do you think some of us were doing during the primaries?

The difference only matters if one believes there is still a home for conservatives in the GOP. I’m not one of them, as I have the tire tracks from the Straight Double Talk Express across my back.

steveegg on June 20, 2008 at 1:53 PM

Of course there’s a home for conservatives in the GOP. You want the GOP to become the minority in all three brances of government?

JetBoy on June 20, 2008 at 2:06 PM

That is not the anology. Both McCain and Obama are head shots. Both favor essentially the same policies on the big questions of the day.

Iraq is no longer a big question, though that information is taking a long time to trickle down to the right. That war is over.

flenser on June 20, 2008 at 2:07 PM

You can’t say something doesn’t work when it’s never actually been tried.

tomk59 on June 20, 2008 at 2:05 PM

We agree. I live in San Diego. I meant by itself, and that it isn’t the only issue. I find the other one more important, while the fence should continue to be built. Sorry to not have been more clear.

Entelechy on June 20, 2008 at 2:07 PM

flenser on June 20, 2008 at 2:04 PM

Sure. That was a different time and under different conditions, where there was a realistic possibility of other options.

Now, McCain is all on his own, out there, actively campaigning. What do you think can happen next? Ditto Obama.

LimeyGeek on June 20, 2008 at 2:07 PM

The whores are us, no matter how much we yammer. This is the crux of the matter, and for a variety of same and opposing reasons/benefits, it will not be addressed, no matter who runs/wins.

There are differences on other issues, the SCOTUS, security, taxes, WoT, and foreign policies, and prevention of socialism being most important to self.

Entelechy on June 20, 2008 at 1:42 PM

E, you are correct but really, when you get down to the heart of it – the whores are us when we hold our nose and vote for the lesser of two evils. All we are doing is allowing evil to creep in and creep in and creep in. The time to take a stand is now. It has come. When both options suck this bad it is time to send a message of the sort that reverberates through the entire political system.

Zetterson on June 20, 2008 at 2:08 PM

We could all stop paying our taxes.

Just a thought.

LimeyGeek on June 20, 2008 at 2:05 PM

Good luck with that.

Entelechy on June 20, 2008 at 2:08 PM

No prob, Entelechy. You continue to be one of my favorite posters.

tomk59 on June 20, 2008 at 2:08 PM

Jog my memeory – which parts are you thinking of?

Of course there’s a home for conservatives in the GOP.

I’d love to see you point to some evidence for that.

flenser on June 20, 2008 at 2:09 PM

JiangxiDad on June 20, 2008 at 2:06 PM

lol Cheers :)

Just mixin’ it up with some limey flava

LimeyGeek on June 20, 2008 at 2:10 PM

You can’t say something doesn’t work when it’s never actually been tried.

tomk59 on June 20, 2008 at 2:05 PM

Yes. Both need to be done. Law enforcement and the fence. Its works in Israel as well.

Zetterson on June 20, 2008 at 2:10 PM

The time to rip on McCain was during the primaries. The primaries…and I know some can’t believe it…are over. Done. Adios.

JetBoy on June 20, 2008 at 1:45 PM

As long as Juan McVain puts anti-American plantation owners with their lust for the closest labor they can get to slave labor ahead of America it will ALWAYS be time to “rip” on Juan McVain.

MB4 on June 20, 2008 at 2:10 PM

Jetboy-
If you don’t see that McCain’s strategy is to conduct a balancing act between the right and left then I don’t think you’re paying attention.

JiangxiDad on June 20, 2008 at 2:11 PM

Zetterson, I know exactly what you mean, but I feel it in my gut that after 4-8 years we will no longer recognize our country, and it will not be retrievable. You will think back to now. Be very careful what you wish for. Obama is way more dangerous than all apearances. This is mob appeal like no other, based only on empty ideology and no substance, the most dangerous kind.

Good luck.

Entelechy on June 20, 2008 at 2:11 PM

JetBoy on June 20, 2008 at 2:06 PM

Problem is that for many of us, hes YOUR nominee, not ours.

I’m no longer even part of the Republican party, because I consider myself a Conservative FIRST…

Romeo13 on June 20, 2008 at 2:11 PM

No prob, Entelechy. You continue to be one of my favorite posters.

tomk59 on June 20, 2008 at 2:08 PM

Thank you Tom. But watch out – you might now go on a black list :) Like you equally, and all the best,

Entelechy on June 20, 2008 at 2:12 PM

Clown to the left of me
Pillock? to my right
Here I am. Stuck in the middle with shroom.

captivated_dem on June 20, 2008 at 2:13 PM

Just mixin’ it up with some limey flava

LimeyGeek on June 20, 2008 at 2:10 PM

That a soft drink you get in Brixton?

JiangxiDad on June 20, 2008 at 2:14 PM

Good luck with that.

Entelechy on June 20, 2008 at 2:08 PM

Indeed. It would require the kind of backbone I seldom see in America these days. Literally millions upon millions of taxpayers refusing to hand over their money. The enforcement of the tax laws would crumble, and I cannot begin to imagine the long-term damage that would be done to gubmint power.

Which is why the gubmint would blink first. It has to believe in the peoples’ resolve, however, for such a plan to work.

I’ll put the metaphorical bong down now ;)

LimeyGeek on June 20, 2008 at 2:14 PM

That a soft drink you get in Brixton?

JiangxiDad on June 20, 2008 at 2:14 PM

Well played sir :) You know your onions.

LimeyGeek on June 20, 2008 at 2:15 PM

JetBoy on June 20, 2008 at 2:06 PM

Given that home is the Gramama Obama/Jeremiah Wright seats under the bus, I’m not so sure I can answer the question in the negative.

BTW, I’m not a Republican (one of the benefits of living in a state where there is no such thing as state-organized party registration).

steveegg on June 20, 2008 at 2:16 PM

For God’s sake, the many Arizona Indian Tribal languages were spoken in Arizona long before Spanish or English. ‘I bet some of you don’t know this — did you know Spanish was spoken in Arizona before English?’ Too ridiculous! Besides, the Spanish did not colonize the bulk of Arizona. Of course Spanish priests had their old mission in Tucson for a mixed population, NOT built by Mexico or Mexicans. Bear in mind, where Spanish was first spoken the harsh conquistadors brought enslavement. Where Spanish is still spoken, the indigenous Indian tribes are still exploited in their native lands without even the aristocratic care given to serfs. Speaking Spanish is no mark of freedom, independence or human rights by any means! If it were, the Mexicans would stay and thrive in Mexico, and South Americans would be happy to stay in their native born countries.

John McCain was neither born nor raised in Arizona. He speaks as a legal transplant to illegal transplants on very dry crusty soil.

maverick muse on June 20, 2008 at 2:16 PM

LimeyG, I’ll go along with you. Organize it and I’ll risk it, gladly.

JiangxiDad, the independents will win it for McCain or for Obama. That’s why I still believe McCain can fight for and win Cali. Lots of them here.

Entelechy on June 20, 2008 at 2:17 PM

Comprehensive immigration reform.

Doesn’t it sound just so…. comprehensive?
I mean, who could be against a fix all solution. Well, it depends on what said reform entails. And, as we saw with his last attempt, along with Bush, to push his reform down America’s throat without any debate or even time to read the damn thing, I am less then convinced he is willing to lay his intentions bare before the voters. Pathetic.

VolMagic on June 20, 2008 at 2:18 PM

Reporter: Senator McCain, is it true that if you become President you will put a real fence along the border with Mexico rather than just some phony so called “virtual fence”? And a follow up question sir, if so what will the physical fence look like?
John McCain: That is a very good question and yes when I become el President I will put up a physical fence. What will it look like? Well it will run the full length of the border and have special security gates every 100 feet.
All the security gates will have on them:
1) Press one for Spanish (with a response of “Welcome Amigo, my country is your country and please take a free map to the wonderful plantation owner employer of your choice. Also please feel free to enroll you children in our schools and demand that they be taught in Spanish and please also feel free to avail yourself of all the free medical care that you want. Also if there are any Gringos in line ahead of you at hospitals just get in line ahead of them.”).
2) Press two for English (with a response of “Go to
Infierno you damned bigoted nativist lazy madre fornicario gringo who does not want what is right for America del Norte!!!”).

MB4 on June 20, 2008 at 2:18 PM

You think you’re making points, but you’re not. I’m totally indifferent to whether or not McCain is out there campaigning. I’m totally indifferent to the fact that the primaries are over. I’m a conservative, not a Republican.

I held my nose and worked hard to get Bush elected in 2004, with the supposition that things would get better in the future. If only I’d known! I could have saved myself a lot of money.

So I’m not interested in hearing the recycled line about “support this liberal Republican now, and in four years maybe a conservative will have a shot”. I’ve been down that road and I know where it leads.

If our only options are to go meekly and willingly to the slaughter or to make a hopeless last stand, I’m taking the latter course. The result may be the same, but it matters in some sense that people do the right thing, even if there is no reward for it.

flenser on June 20, 2008 at 2:19 PM

McCain thinks he can’t win without the Latino vote (and the independent vote, etc.) but he seems to forget that he can’t win without the vote of the backbone of the party he’s on the ticket for.

If he loses more Republican votes than he gains independent votes, he will never overcome the Obama groundswell. And now, the “healing” is beginning, with Clinton preparing to campaign for Obama. When the Democratic party is more united than the Republican party, and the country has the chance for historic events (first black president, e.g.) McCain doesn’t stand a chance.

I don’t like the idea of an Obama presidency, but I’ve gotta say that’s what I see coming down the pike.

cs89 on June 20, 2008 at 2:20 PM

Si.

MB4 on June 20, 2008 at 2:03 PM

That explains a lot around here.

LimeyGeek on June 20, 2008 at 2:20 PM

Comprehensive immigration reform.

Doesn’t it sound just so…. comprehensive?

VolMagic on June 20, 2008 at 2:18 PM

Whenever you hear words and terms like “Comprehensive” and “It’s for the children” and “It’s complicated”, hide the women and the booze!

MB4 on June 20, 2008 at 2:21 PM

Just curious. Since taxes are taken out of your check before you get it, how, other than not going to work, do you not pay your taxes?

tomk59 on June 20, 2008 at 2:21 PM

Problem is that for many of us, hes YOUR nominee, not ours.

Romeo13 on June 20, 2008 at 2:11 PM

This really says it all. Look…I too am a conservative first, but there is no “Conservative Party of America” (or is there?) that has the national ability to win an election. It’s a two-party system.

Anyone who’ll leave the GOP because McCain got the nod needs a “whaaambulance” stat. Hey, try again for 2012, but do what’s right for right now…and that is to ensure McCain gets the POTUS job.

JetBoy on June 20, 2008 at 2:22 PM

Entelechy on June 20, 2008 at 2:17 PM

Of course. As clear as the nose on my face. The less extreme and less educated members of my liberal family will probably end up voting for McCain. Only the Harvard and Stanford and Columbia educated ones still persist in their messiah complex– there is absolutely no hope in reaching them. They “feel” their politics too keenly. I truly feel sorry for them.

JiangxiDad on June 20, 2008 at 2:23 PM

Time to add “straight talk” to the list.

Slublog on June 20, 2008 at 2:24 PM

We could all stop paying our taxes.

Just a thought.

I guess we could, if we renounced our US citizenship and declared ourselves illegal aliens. The government is famously disinterested in tax paying by the “undocumented”.

flenser on June 20, 2008 at 2:24 PM

cs89 on June 20, 2008 at 2:20 PM

That’s the crux of it. Can’t please them both. It’s a very tight rope. The left and the right will be responsible for electing Obama. I’ll be here to remind the right and laugh at the left when he won’t get out of Iraq, not get rid of NAFTA, not close Guantanamo. Socialism will engolf all of us rapidly, though.

tomk59, exactly on payroll taxes…we can maneuver the others, or have as little as possible retained, and then not pay in April. We can organize but it’s not that easy.

Entelechy on June 20, 2008 at 2:25 PM

You think you’re making points, but you’re not

I think you’re simply missing my point.

I’m not trying to argue your course of action – do as you will – I am simply trying to establish a common understanding of the reality of our situation.

I once was prepared to do as you are suggesting, but as I have learned more about Obama I simply could not look myself in the eye if I indulged myself. My vote is no longer for me, it is now for my country.

LimeyGeek on June 20, 2008 at 2:26 PM

JetBoy

Why exactly is that “right” again? I can’t think of a single reason why I should care if he wins the election.

flenser on June 20, 2008 at 2:26 PM

flenser on June 20, 2008 at 2:19 PM

This can’t even be close to a last stand. If that comes, I’m taking a few out with me.

JiangxiDad on June 20, 2008 at 2:26 PM

tomk59 on June 20, 2008 at 2:21 PM

Change your employment contract.

LimeyGeek on June 20, 2008 at 2:27 PM

My vote is no longer for me, it is now for my country.

A vote for either McCain or Obama is not a vote for your country. It’s a vote against your country.

flenser on June 20, 2008 at 2:28 PM

flenser, I actually agree with all your points. Just one thing – I fear the Obama presidency like none ever before, for two reasons alone, his blind and empty ideology and lack of experience. I can’t in good conscience hand over this great land to something like that.

Entelechy on June 20, 2008 at 2:28 PM

flenser on June 20, 2008 at 2:26 PM

Because President Obama scares the iving cr*p out of me. Not you?

JetBoy on June 20, 2008 at 2:28 PM

Entelechy on June 20, 2008 at 2:25 PM

Not easy at all – horrendously painful, I suspect.

Could be mighty worthwhile though…..

LimeyGeek on June 20, 2008 at 2:28 PM

JetBoy on June 20, 2008 at 2:22 PM

Wahh your own self there boy…

I left the party because of CONGRESS’s lack of fiscal responsibility, and their lack of a clear agenda when we had worked to get them YEARS of both houses, and the Presidency.

I left the party over Immigration “reform”.

I left that party YEARS ago because they do not represent MY views.

McCain is a symptom, not a cause. He’s PART of the problem, not the whole problem.

Romeo13 on June 20, 2008 at 2:29 PM

This can’t even be close to a last stand.

Any reason why not?

flenser on June 20, 2008 at 2:29 PM

JetBoy on June 20, 2008 at 2:22 PM

Yeah, keep up with that attitude, conservatives already won’t back him, and it’s looking like he won’t see help from 527′s either. But by all means, keep sneering.

doubleplusundead on June 20, 2008 at 2:29 PM

Jetboy-

JiangxiDad on June 20, 2008 at 2:11 PM

Juan McDumptey tried to straddle a wall,
Juan McDumptey will have a great fall;
All of Juan’s blind followers and all of Juan’s coolaid men,
Won’t be able to put Juan McDumptey together again.

MB4 on June 20, 2008 at 2:29 PM

flenser on June 20, 2008 at 2:28 PM

Obviously I don’t see it that way. I would argue that your abdication of responsibility is itself a vote against America.

LimeyGeek on June 20, 2008 at 2:30 PM

flenser on June 20, 2008 at 2:28 PM

The realization you had in ’04 may end up being repeated for millions of others by ’12 if McCain wins and governs left. Hopefully you will be proved wrong, for the sake of the country. If you’re right, you will have allies by the millions.

JiangxiDad on June 20, 2008 at 2:30 PM

JetBoy on June 20, 2008 at 2:22 PM

I’ll vote him…for president of mexico….which is what’ll he be if he becomes president of the USA (soon to be known as the USA (United States of Aztlan

right4life on June 20, 2008 at 2:31 PM

LimeyGeek, self employed and pretty much retired now. I just don’t see how any moves in this area would have much effect, especially since you probably couldn’t get more than 2 % of the people in this situation to go along with you.
As to contracts, the whole time I was in the work force, never saw one. It was “here’s our rules, what you can expect from us and what we expect from you. Want the job or not?”

tomk59 on June 20, 2008 at 2:32 PM

Because President Obama scares the iving cr*p out of me. Not you?

JetBoy on June 20, 2008 at 2:28 PM

El Presidente McCain will be the same as El Presidente Obama…

right4life on June 20, 2008 at 2:33 PM

Because President Obama scares the iving cr*p out of me. Not you?

Is there some reason why President McCain does not scare the living cr*p out of you?

Look, if you’re all that scared of Obama, why not nominate Hillary Clinton as the GOP candidate? With the support of Republicans and half of the Democrats, I bet she’d carry every state.

flenser on June 20, 2008 at 2:33 PM

If you’re right, you will have allies by the millions.

JiangxiDad on June 20, 2008 at 2:30 PM

If a McCain presidency turns into a liberal-pandering clusterfuck, I suspect the GOP would be largely finished.

LimeyGeek on June 20, 2008 at 2:33 PM

eah, keep up with that attitude, conservatives already won’t back him, and it’s looking like he won’t see help from 527’s either.

Wow. Thanks for that link. The reason was stunning.

But by all means, keep sneering.
doubleplusundead on June 20, 2008 at 2:29 PM

I’ve been trying for a month to think of just the right word to describe what Jetboy is doing. Thanks again.
Sneering. Yep, exactly.

JiangxiDad on June 20, 2008 at 2:34 PM

I suspect the GOP would be largely finished.

it already is.

right4life on June 20, 2008 at 2:34 PM

El Presidente McCain will be the same as El Presidente Obama…

right4life on June 20, 2008 at 2:33 PM

McCain will be Prsident of the U.S. and Mexico. Obama will be President of the World, and you and I, all other here, will pay for all of it. Decojonification of U.S. will be the primary drive. That’s why the world loves Obama so. Be very scared.

Wake up America!!!

Entelechy on June 20, 2008 at 2:35 PM

LimeyGeek on June 20, 2008 at 2:00 PM

It would certainly take out McCain, Obama on the other hand, his approval would improve.

Seriously, third party is looking better and better…

Conservative Voice on June 20, 2008 at 2:35 PM

MB4 on June 20, 2008 at 2:29 PM

If I hadn’t already given out the Comment of the Day™ award, that would take it.

steveegg on June 20, 2008 at 2:36 PM

tomk59 on June 20, 2008 at 2:32 PM

I agree. It’s just a daydream. Actually I’d be surprised if 2% had the requisite backbone.

LimeyGeek on June 20, 2008 at 2:36 PM

LimeyGeek on June 20, 2008 at 2:33 PM

I don’t know LG. Maybe we’ll just get the Republicans acting like Democrats, and the Democrats acting like socialists.

Doesn’t Europe essentially do that? I think we’re moving in that direction anyway.

JiangxiDad on June 20, 2008 at 2:37 PM

Which PART of the conservative agenda would that be exactly?

Excoriating “Big Oil” about their “obscene profits”?
Enacting massive government/taxes for the sake of “global warming”?
Enacting “comprehensive immigration reform”?
Reaching “across the aisle” on SCOTUS?
Restricting protected speech?
Pandering to racist groups – La Raza?

Just curious…

catmman on June 20, 2008 at 2:39 PM

Illegal aliens generally do NOT want U.S. citizenship. Americans are very vain thinking that everybody in the world wants to be a U.S. citizen. Mexicans want to remain citizens of their home country while obtaining the benefits offered by the United States such as employment, medical care, in-state tuition, government subsidized housing and free education for their offspring. Their main attraction is employment and their loyalty usually remains at home. They want benefits earned and subsidized by middle class Americans. What illegal aliens want are benefits of American residence without paying the price.

Mexico is NOT a friend of the United States. Since 1848 Mexicans have resented the United States. During World War I, Mexico allowed German spies to operate freely in Mexico to spy on the U.S.. During World War II, Mexico allowed the Axis powers to spy on the U.S. from Mexico. During the Cold War Mexico allowed spies hostile to the U.S. to operate freely. The attack on the Twin Towers in 2001 was cheered and applauded all across Mexico. Today, Mexican school children are taught that the U.S. stole California, Arizona, new Mexico and Texas. If you don’t believe it, check out some Mexican textbooks written for their schoolchildren.
- David J. Stoddard (27 year veteran of the Border Patrol)

MB4 on June 20, 2008 at 2:39 PM

. Be very scared.

Wake up America!!!

Entelechy on June 20, 2008 at 2:35 PM

I used to be very concerned about what was happening to this country…but its passed the point of no return I’m afraid. its not the country I grew up in, and it never will be again. we’re becoming the USSA united socialist states of amerikkka…

right4life on June 20, 2008 at 2:39 PM

Abdication of responsibility?

I’ll take responsibility for my own actions. And those people who vote for Macobama can take the responsibility for destroying the country.

The Founders based their system and their grand ideas on the notion that the people were not lemmings who would walk over a cliff just because that’s what the person next to them did. They expected the people to jealous of their own liberties and self interest.

If Americans want to vote for their own destuction then I can’t stop them. But don’t expect me to join them, and don’t tell me that I have a “responsibility” to do so.

flenser on June 20, 2008 at 2:40 PM

JiangxiDad on June 20, 2008 at 2:37 PM

Indeed, they don’t have a conservative party, except the fringe ones, like other fringe ones, with scarce minorities…

The question is “do we want to be European?” It seems to me that we do, from the left and from the right.

There will be dire consequences. I feel sorry for the next generations.

Entelechy on June 20, 2008 at 2:41 PM

A strong third party is very much needed. They are difficult to establish, and there’s no strong leader for one now. It will never work this year.

Entelechy on June 20, 2008 at 2:43 PM

A “liberal-pandering clusterfuck” sums up McCains career in the Senate, especially over the last ten years or so.

Why so many people think that a McCain presidency would be different is a mystery to me.

flenser on June 20, 2008 at 2:43 PM

doubleplus & jianxi… THIS one’s for you!

JetBoy on June 20, 2008 at 2:43 PM

Macobama

how about McObaMahdi….

right4life on June 20, 2008 at 2:44 PM

JiangxiDad on June 20, 2008 at 2:37 PM

It does seem like that kind of uniform statist shift is occurring. However, surely the Republicans only get to be Republicans by our good graces. If a significant chunk of their base abandons them, they’ll end up unemployed. What happens with the resulting vacuum is another matter.

It has been a long time since I’ve been across the pond. I’m an American, proud of it, and those revolting euro-socialists don’t deserve another second of my time.

Your observation is correct though. Many confuse british ‘conservatives’ with our own – they are nothing of the sort.

LimeyGeek on June 20, 2008 at 2:45 PM

Hear me, my fellow Republicans. My heart is sick and sad. From where the sun now stands, I will support John McCain no more forever. [updated]
- Chief Joseph

MB4 on June 20, 2008 at 2:46 PM

JetBoy on June 20, 2008 at 2:43 PM

damn. I’m allergic to cats.

JiangxiDad on June 20, 2008 at 2:46 PM

damn. I’m allergic to cats.

JiangxiDad on June 20, 2008 at 2:46 PM

Well that goes both ways you know.

FeralCat on June 20, 2008 at 2:49 PM

We wouldn’t have had to put up this stuff if y’all had voted for Fred!
Draft Fred! in MN in ’08

Just A Grunt on June 20, 2008 at 2:49 PM

Entelechy/Limey Geek:

I think McCain will be a caretaker President. During his presidency, the two parties will each form into something new– very likely along the lines of the European situation we discussed. That is what is happening in the country anyway. McCain is in some ways merely taking up space for this to play out.

JiangxiDad on June 20, 2008 at 2:52 PM

McCain is not fit to be president. His first priority is national security, but he wants to surrender to the illegal cheaters and grant them citizenship. Flooding the electorate with millions of ignorant peasants is monumentally stupid, and not protecting national security.

McCain is simply far too stupid to be president if he can’t see the foolishness of such a position.

Pi$$ poor judgement; no way i can vote for this pandering flake.

saiga on June 20, 2008 at 2:53 PM

FeralCat on June 20, 2008 at 2:49 PM

just housecats.

JiangxiDad on June 20, 2008 at 2:53 PM

MB4 on June 20, 2008 at 2:39 PM

You miss a major point here. They do NOT give up their Mexican citizenship, or right to VOTE in Mexico by becoming American citizens. In Fact, its perfectly legal to VOTE in both elections in the same cycle, and FOX of Mexico made it even easier last Mexican election.

So, all the benefits, none of the drawbacks, then they move back to Mexico with full Soc Sec and Medicare benefits…

Romeo13 on June 20, 2008 at 2:56 PM

The European Parliament has passed a controversial set of EU rules for dealing with illegal immigration.

Under the new rules illegal immigrants can be detained for up to 18 months and face a five-year re-entry ban.

Lawmakers backed the measures by a large majority despite opposition from many Socialist and Green parties, and condemnation from human rights groups

If that’s European style liberalism, let’s get some of it over here.

flenser on June 20, 2008 at 2:57 PM

President John McCain and President Barack Obama would NOT, in any sane sense of the word, be the same. John McCain would reduce government spending and make the Bush tax cuts permanent. That’s reason enough for me to vote for him right there. John McCain would have a far more muscular and effective foreign policy. That’s reason enough for me to vote for him right there.

That’s just a couple of differences, but they’re REALLY important ones. I understand that many people are unhappy with his support of comprehensive immigration reform, but apparently it’s a make-or-break issue with all the commenters here. Really? Immigration reform is your top issue? And let’s dispense with the faux concern over so-called “slave-labor” working conditions. That’s just so disingenuous. If you were really concerned in any way about the working conditions for these people, you wouldn’t be screaming and yelling so loud to send them back to Mexico, which is, by any rational measure, worse.

All I can say is, if Barack Obama is elected, you will all deserve everything you get. I hope for my sake and for America’s sake that it doesn’t happen, but if it does, I will point the finger of blame squarely at you and your ilk.

TSUGambler on June 20, 2008 at 2:58 PM

I think McCain will be a caretaker President.

JiangxiDad on June 20, 2008 at 2:52 PM

Well I would like to take care of that old bastard.

You want to know who you are McCain? Huh? Huh? You don’t, I do, everyone does. You’re the son of a thousand fathers, all bastards like you.

Tuco on June 20, 2008 at 2:58 PM

I think the left feeds the right issues like this just to make trouble. I am sick of it. I really am. I am getting to the place where I care less and less about this issue. It is not even possible to talk about it like rational people. Screw it.

Terrye on June 20, 2008 at 2:58 PM

Entelechy; yes, viable independent candidates and 3rd parties are the answer, but for now and the near future, it will not happen in the upper ranks, such as elections for POTUS .
Grass roots. Any turnaround starts local, county, state, then federal. It sometimes seems to me that too many people are totally focused on Obama or McCain. In many ways, it’s irrelevant who wins, as the pain and damage will happen either way.
For me, the most important thing is to be involved in changing the culture locally, from the bottom up. That will be the most important part of any upcoming elections, which is why I say to my fellow posters here that no matter how conflicted or disgusted you are about the race for POTUS, it is imperative that you show up at the polls and get involved in all the less ‘glamorous ‘ races.

tomk59 on June 20, 2008 at 2:58 PM

I feel like I’ve been screwed like a housecat by the Republicans. When are they going to start floating some decent candidates I can support. Thanks to the Republican party, I will have to endure Obama every night on TV.

Thanks a$$ bites.

saiga on June 20, 2008 at 2:59 PM

TSUGambler on June 20, 2008 at 2:58 PM

So I see that you believe in even more than six impossible things before breakfast.

Sigy on June 20, 2008 at 3:01 PM

Terrye on June 20, 2008 at 2:58 PM

If you don’t comment then all these people will win, and Obama will be the next president. Because that is what is going to happen when the democrats, the democrats posing as conservatives, and the conservatives who want Obama to be the next president to punish John McCain with the hopes that they’ll get a more conservative president ‘next time’ ….. is going to get.

I don’t want to see the democrat’s and/or our own home grown “operation chaos” against conservatives and republicans to succeed.

wise_man on June 20, 2008 at 3:03 PM