Obama to Clinton supporters: It would help if you’d just get over it

posted at 8:45 pm on June 20, 2008 by Ed Morrissey

Some voters may be wondering how the healing is going among Democrats.  According to Jake Tapper and Kate Snow at ABC … poorly.  After Sheila Jackson Lee suggested that Barack Obama needed to reach out to female voters still on edge after the narrow victory over Hillary Clinton, Obama suggested that he was too busy to do women’s work:

Sources at the meeting said that Rep. Sheila Jackson Lee, D-Texas, a Clinton supporter, expressed the desire that Obama and his campaign would reach out the millions of women still aggrieved about what happened in the campaign and still disappointed that Clinton lost.

Obama agreed that a lot of work needs to be done to heal the Democratic Party, and that he hoped the Clinton supporters in the room would help as much as possible.

According to Rep. Yvette Clarke, D-N.Y., Obama then said, “However, I need to make a decision in the next few months as to how I manage that since I’m running against John McCain, which takes a lot of time. If women take a moment to realize that on every issue important to women, John McCain is not in their corner, that would help them get over it.”

Rep. Diane Watson, D-Calif., a longtime Clinton supporter, did not like those last three words — “Get over it.” She found them dismissive, off-putting.

“Don’t use that terminology,” Watson told Obama.

The subtext of this isn’t hard to fathom.  Listen, sweetie, I’m busy with man-work.  Why don’t the women-folk get together and handle this themselves?  I’m sure that’ll convince women he takes them seriously.  He all but told Lee and the other women at the meeting that they have nowhere else to go, so he’s not going to waste his time.

What meeting was this?  An Obama meeting with the Congressional Black Caucus.

Yep.  Lots of healing to go, it seems.

Comments

No matter how much they hope, Obama’s not going to change.

Anna on June 20, 2008 at 8:49 PM

Hope -n- change!

john1schn on June 20, 2008 at 8:49 PM

“get over it”?
What a dumbass

ArmyAunt on June 20, 2008 at 8:50 PM

He wishes it was over, but it ain’t over by far. Hillary is going to make pretenders indignant. She needs to run now, or again in 2012. If she’d be into him, she’d have been on the road the next day, and ever since.

Entelechy on June 20, 2008 at 8:54 PM

Don`t make me slap you, woman!

ThePrez on June 20, 2008 at 8:55 PM

Not like this is the first “get over it”.

Perhaps it’s how he helps with his kids?

Mew

acat on June 20, 2008 at 8:56 PM

This story makes it sound as though Obama has the diplomatic ability to bring all the countries in the world together in peace and harmony.

gmoonster on June 20, 2008 at 8:56 PM

Yep, hope and change…

I hope you change your mind and get over it….

Romeo13 on June 20, 2008 at 8:57 PM

Where’s the surprise. Black males are generally dismissive of women. Look at Barry’s role model, his Dad. Children by 4 different women and ran out on all of them. Oh, sorry, he was a visionary. And black. Mea Culpa.

GarandFan on June 20, 2008 at 8:58 PM

When you’ve been handed the nomination on a silver platter, why wouldn’t he think he’s entitled to their vote?

CultureWar on June 20, 2008 at 9:00 PM

Memo from Obama.

To Team Clinton:

In Obamaspeak,In the audacity of change and hope,I umm,
how should I say,would really umm,be honoured,if a you
people,umm would join me,umm,that is if your still,umm
not clinging or bitter over me ahh,throwing Hillary under
the bus!

In this Grande epic of History,I umm,ya,shamelessly stoled
all of Hillary’s election campaign staff,some I’ll keep,ah
and some will be thrown under the bus!

So,umm,how should I word this,those on Hillary’s Team and
voters,ah can either,umm help us take back the Galaxy,or
ahh umm,take a permanent seat,ummm under the nearset bus!

So,ah, umm you can join Team Obama,or let your chicken’s
roost!————————————–(Snark!)haha:)

canopfor on June 20, 2008 at 9:11 PM

Obama only raised $22 million in May. He only has $10 million COH for the general.

amerpundit on June 20, 2008 at 9:11 PM

Whoooopeee and “The View” Libs will explain it away
by say telling all who will listen. . . He didn’t say
Just get over it. and bla bla bla.

Brings me back to the meaning of is is days.

The slickster taught them well.

Texyank on June 20, 2008 at 9:12 PM

And he has the gall to say McCain isn’t in their corner?

Oh.my.gosh.

But you know what he’ll do, apologize and say he was tired or that talking like that to women is a bad habit he has that he’s trying to break.

Bob's Kid on June 20, 2008 at 9:13 PM

CHANGE that works for you… after you make me a sammich, sweetie.

Hollowpoint on June 20, 2008 at 9:16 PM

Let the healing BEGIN!

BWAHAHAHAHAHAHA!

Misha I on June 20, 2008 at 9:17 PM

Hell, at this point I’m beginning to wonder if it would be better for Johnny Mac to just sit poolside until after the Dem convention. By the time Barry gets there he will be demanding a sedan-chair ride up and down the aisles.

Limerick on June 20, 2008 at 9:18 PM

Black males are generally dismissive of women.

Guess the men in my family are an anomaly. Or smart.

And though I’m beginning to really hate O, I’m have trouble figuring out who to cheer for in the war of words between him and the loud mouth Diane Watson.

baldilocks on June 20, 2008 at 9:19 PM

At the DNConvention,Doorman yell’s!

Team Hillarys supporters to the
right,green section!

Team Obama supporters to the left
red section!

Puzzled Team Hillary supporter,why
are we been seperated!

In the know Team Obama supporter,
ya’ll see soon enough,snicker,snicker!

canopfor on June 20, 2008 at 9:20 PM

This is shaping up to be a great campaign season. Now that I’ve accepted that we’re stuck with McCain, I’m ready to sit back and enjoy!

Your Jewish Master on June 20, 2008 at 9:21 PM

Yesterday there was a Breibart(?) story about the VP meeting at the CBC. John Murtha’s name was offered up to be put on the VP list.

If only. I’d take that over three bars on a slot machine.

Limerick on June 20, 2008 at 9:23 PM

I’m busy with man-work

…so why don’t you help out & iron my shirt?

jgapinoy on June 20, 2008 at 9:24 PM

WOW, how in the heck can McCain lose to this sexist guy??? O wait I forgot the weak knee republicans elected McCain a horrible choice this year.

BroncosRock on June 20, 2008 at 9:27 PM

“I’d never let a woman tell me what to do! I’d be like, ‘Hey! You get your bitchass back in the kitchen and make me some pie!’”

Cartman just seemed appropriate right now…

prolix on June 20, 2008 at 9:28 PM

I hope he changes too.

But I don’t see how any of this will help Michelle Obama’s children.

ThackerAgency on June 20, 2008 at 9:29 PM

Twas an AP story (not Breibart)…

here

Limerick on June 20, 2008 at 9:33 PM

Obama is the candidate for “every issue important to women”? Not all women want to hire hits on their unborn children. Not all women want massive governnment increases. Not all women want state run health care. How arrogant.

gmbdds on June 20, 2008 at 9:48 PM

gmbdds on June 20, 2008 at 9:48 PM

I thought that ALL Women would want School Choice..

OR do they just LOVE keeping their kids in the failed Public School System?

Chakra Hammer on June 20, 2008 at 9:53 PM

Actually, looking at it from a purely clinical view. That’s the first really intelligent thing Obama has done to date. Pandering to people that should be voting for him in the first place is a waste of time and effort. Obama should be spending his time going after those who are not yet decided.

Lesson for us Republicans. Forcing McCain to jump through hoops for the base who should be voting for him because voting for Obama is unthinkable is a waste of time and effort. McCain needs to spend his time pandering to those who have not yet decided how to vote. If only Republicans vote for McCain, he will lose.

Long way to make my point. Whatever Republicans hate about McCain, if Obama is elected you will get it X 10 with Obama. So do the smart thing and don’t force McCain to fish for votes he should already have and let him do what’s necessary to win.

Hog Wild on June 20, 2008 at 9:56 PM

click it..
Chakra Hammer on June 19,2008 at 9:45PM.

Chakra Hammer: Now that’s nasty! haha :)

canopfor on June 20, 2008 at 10:05 PM

“Listen, biatches…I am greater than any God you ever imagined. Jesus is on the bench when I’m in town. I am both your holy master and your ultimate masturbation fantasy. Just groove on my smoking hot good looks, touch the hem of my garment and be content…I got shit to do.”

Django on June 20, 2008 at 10:08 PM

Chakra Hammer: Now that’s nasty! haha :)

canopfor on June 20, 2008 at 10:05 PM

Danke! hehe..

The first one was actually had harsher language but I pulled back a bit..

Chakra Hammer on June 20, 2008 at 10:11 PM

Obviously, Barry did not have cue cards he could read from.

Will he be reading off cue cards when he meets with foreign leaders?

I’m dead serious. He cannot speak without writing it down.

What the frickin hell is going on around here?

benrand on June 20, 2008 at 10:13 PM

Will he be reading off cue cards when he meets with foreign leaders?

benrand on June 20, 2008 at 10:13 PM

Obama Travel Essentials: Cue cards, knee pads, breath freshener and cookies.

fogw on June 20, 2008 at 10:21 PM

“Get over it” says Obama. He’s obviously viewing it through his Distraction Template. He’s been reading from teleprompters for years, clinging to them, and now he thinks it’s his turn to…

be the teleprompter, Barack, be the teleprompter for everybody else. Then divisiveness will end.

ForNow on June 20, 2008 at 10:22 PM

Obama to Clinton supporters: It would help if you’d just get over it

If I have it correct…Hillary took it right up the rump, from the DNC on Michigan and Florida. Since the 2000 election, the demOrats mantra has been: “EVERY VOTE COUNTS.” And you want Hillary, and every one of her worshipers to get “just over it?” CHanGe Yur bONg Hu$$ein, cuZ yUr NoT tHiNkin tO kOOl!

byteshredder on June 20, 2008 at 10:29 PM

“Come hither, thou sordid wench, and wring the man-sweat from my boxers.”

whitetop on June 20, 2008 at 10:33 PM

They are just all a bunch of ho’s…shut up and sit down b*tch.

right2bright on June 20, 2008 at 10:36 PM

I’ll post a more lengthy response after my biotch brings me a bowl of ice cream.

David in ATL on June 20, 2008 at 10:36 PM

Is this spun sugar or straight up Obama intention?

BL@KBIRD on June 20, 2008 at 10:38 PM

He probably just wants to slap some woman, any woman.

He knows Michelle will hit back, hard.

Squid Shark on June 20, 2008 at 10:41 PM

He knows Michelle will hit back,hard.
Squid Shark on June 20,2008 at 10:41PM.

Squid Shark: Hehe,yup,its gonna be a circus,
Hey,I bet the Vice President’s
office room will be a bit crowded,
especially when Michelle takes it
over!

Will Obama tell Omama she can’t! haha:)

canopfor on June 20, 2008 at 10:55 PM

Chakra, that’s a great photoshop.

Small correction – s/b “a woman’s place”.

Entelechy on June 20, 2008 at 10:59 PM

Now, go make me a bologna sammich and get me a beer.

BacaDog on June 20, 2008 at 11:57 PM

Small correction – s/b “a woman’s place”.

Entelechy on June 20, 2008 at 10:59 PM

never was a fan of the english.. :{

Since its a Democrat ad i’m sure that they will understand it.

It’s not exactly subtle.

Chakra Hammer on June 21, 2008 at 12:06 AM

It doesn’t matter what he says, the sheeple will vote for whomever they are told to vote for. It’s been a long week and I am grumpy. BO makes me sick.

HawaiiLwyr on June 21, 2008 at 12:12 AM

No wonder he wants to Mamood Iwanttokillajew, they have something in common, indignent to women.

cheers Obama.

/golfclap

jharada on June 21, 2008 at 2:08 AM

McCain is the luckiest guy alive to be running against such a dope.

pedestrian on June 21, 2008 at 2:25 AM

The subtext of this isn’t hard to fathom. Listen, sweetie, I’m busy with man-work. Why don’t the women-folk get together and handle this themselves? I’m sure that’ll convince women he takes them seriously. He all but told Lee and the other women at the meeting that they have nowhere else to go, so he’s not going to waste his time.

What meeting was this? An Obama meeting with the Congressional Black Caucus.

Yep. Lots of healing to go, it seems.

Does this not rank in the Top Ten Most Delicious Posts On Hot Air Evah?

RushBaby on June 21, 2008 at 2:36 AM

How do you handle a female with political PMS?

Tell them to get over it

A less astute politician might have appeared sexist. Obama, however, was able to show how he felt their pain.

Obama is no Bill Clinton. Clinton likes women

Bill Clinton could never have sat through 20 years of Rev Wright either. After one sermon he would have the gig down pat with no need to waste time on re runs

In other words, Clinton did not need a Rev. Wright. That is a strength

entagor on June 21, 2008 at 3:12 AM

Way to be a uniter, Barack!!

ToddonCapeCod on June 21, 2008 at 5:10 AM

Ah, more proof of the black Muslim coming out.

I’m surprised he didn’t b***h slap some of the white women of Doprah.

madmonkphotog on June 21, 2008 at 5:27 AM

Ah, more proof of the black Muslim coming out.

More proof your an idiot coming out

Squid Shark on June 21, 2008 at 7:13 AM

More proof your an idiot coming out

Squid Shark on June 21, 2008 at 7:13 AM

More proof the Obamaniacs believe in reaching out – or trying to quiet the truth. Whichever.

madmonkphotog on June 21, 2008 at 7:33 AM

Obama is lazy and complacent. This comes over as arrogance but it isn’t even that – he just feels he is entitled to be President and can’t be bothered to persuade the doubters.

Doesn’t bode well for him.

Ares on June 21, 2008 at 7:38 AM

If women take a moment to realize that on every issue important to women…

“By that I mean abortion. That’s the only issue that we socialist democrats care about.”

abcurtis on June 21, 2008 at 8:39 AM

How many times has he told his wife, Michelle, to “get over it?”

answer: Zero, ’cause he’s still alive.

Mojave Mark on June 21, 2008 at 10:04 AM

madmonkphotog on June 21, 2008 at 7:33 AM

I am no Obamamaniac but you have proven yourself to be a moron puching that Muslim meme.

Squid Shark on June 21, 2008 at 12:24 PM

“Get over it or I’ll b*#@h slap ya. Whoops! Was that on tape? um…..er…..um…..That’s what…….um….the GOP……um….will say that…..uh….I uh……say. They will try to uh….use that……uh…against us…..ya. outabounds…..that’s outabounds.”

oakpack on June 21, 2008 at 3:52 PM

Hey ladies, looks like you’d better put some ice on that.

Dorvillian on June 22, 2008 at 12:21 AM

I am so glad I am not a thin-skinned liberal feminist. And the funny thing is that they’d all be on their knees for him in a second if he wanted them.

Sorry, I don’t usually make comments like that.

BigD on July 10, 2008 at 9:35 AM

Note the date and time folks – this is a preview of coming attractions.

Anybody that thinks that Barry is ‘on their side’ is delusional. The only side Barry is on is Barry’s. Supposedly, all the folks having a big party under da bus were people Barry felt comfortable with, and (at some point) shared ideas (and goals?) with – yet everyone of them now has footprints and tire tracks all over their backs.

That’s how he treats people he likes. How fast and hard do you think he’s going to turn on folks he doesn’t too much care for, particularly if they’re standing in the way of whatever, most likely socialist agenda he pops up with if and when he takes the election in November?

Help us all if that happens. Because, as Uncle Joe said – the death of one man is a tragedy, the deaths of millions is a statistic – and that’s a mindset that Barry has spent a great deal of time in his formative years getting the feel for. . .

Wind Rider on July 10, 2008 at 11:57 AM