Gallup: 52% say ANWR must remain pristine; Update: McCain’s ANWR “rethink” debunked

posted at 6:51 pm on June 19, 2008 by Allahpundit

Caveat: The data’s a month old. Second caveat: 57% are ready to drill in other off-limits areas, including 56% of independents. Third caveat: Rasmussen’s more recent data is 10 points higher on the subtopic of offshore drilling, which probably means opinion on ANWR has shifted somewhat too. Perhaps, unlike Maverick, America’s willingness to re-examine its position isn’t just lip service?

Oh, fourth caveat: Members of the party that’ll control Congress next year and very possibly the White House oppose drilling in either coastal of wilderness “off-limits” areas by a 20-point margin.

Update: As it happens, Patrick Ishmael of News Buckit was at the event today where McCain was pressed about ANWR and says the whole thing is overblown. From his e-mail:

For what it’s worth, I was at the town hall, and my take was that McCain was mostly restating his opposition to drilling ANWR while deploying some tact toward a direct (but polite) questioner. So, imagine a situation where the government would be willing to drill in the Grand Canyon for oil, and that’s the situation, and presumably the only situation, where McCain would drill in ANWR. Unlikely, but still a (technically) open question. Sort of an “anything can happen but probably won’t” exception.

The questioner, who was allowed to ask the event’s only follow-up a few minutes later, wasn’t especially pleased by the response, but McCain was pretty firm on his position: that off-shore drilling was on the table, but that drilling ANWR really wasn’t.

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2

all the libs deserve these gas prices…hope they have to keep their houses about 50 in the winter to afford this high price of power that they have given us.

this country is a joke…would any other country in the world lock up their natural resources, to the detriment of their citizens??

I don’t even think the europeans would…pathetic.

right4life on June 19, 2008 at 9:14 PM

I think Thuja may be one of my neighbors.

Buy Danish on June 19, 2008 at 9:11 PM

Good fences and lots of Turf Builder Plus 2 make for good neighbors.

TheBigOldDog on June 19, 2008 at 9:15 PM

thuja on June 19, 2008 at 9:04 PM

Why do you limit your environmental concern to places we own? What about Canada–they’ve drilled on the area that abuts ANWR in Canada.

Brazil? Cuba? S. China Sea? Arabian Desert?

All places of great beauty and nature. Frankly, the jurisdiction doesn’t matter.

How do you even designate a section of your kitchen for garbage, or your basement for junk?

Honestly Thuja, I think the outline you just presented of your thinking on this subject, without specifying where you want the energy to heat and cool your home and run your car to come from, is bizarre.

I would also guess that you’re rich. How do you intend to pay for the absolutely huge increases in energy costs you are now facing, and will face even worse as winter descends?

JiangxiDad on June 19, 2008 at 9:16 PM

Admittedly, come summer and fall when the weeds bloom, they get the point.

thuja on June 19, 2008 at 9:04 PM

By cursing you for spreading weed seeds onto their property they spend a small fortune and countless hours trying to keep weed free?

TheBigOldDog on June 19, 2008 at 9:07 PM

I’m starting to understand what the problem is on these threads.

Anyway, my neighbors are beginning to embrace my weeds in their yards. It took a while, but opinions change. The weeds I’ve had most success with invading others yards have rather bad names in terms of marketing: sneezeweed and beardtongue. But they are quite lovely.

For those that care: beardtongue is the native North American version of the snapdragon and every bit as pretty.

thuja on June 19, 2008 at 9:19 PM

The poll is horsedip. 90% of us want drilling everywhere to relieve the high price of energy. Hell they can start in my back yard if there is any oil there.

DRILL DRILL DRILL

dogsoldier on June 19, 2008 at 9:19 PM

The poll is horsedip.

unfortunately its true…lots of dumbocrats in this country…easily led and uneducated.

right4life on June 19, 2008 at 9:22 PM

sneezeweed
thuja on June 19, 2008 at 9:19 PM

Is it called that because it makes people with allergies sneeze by any chance?

Anyway, my neighbors are beginning to embrace my weeds in their yards.

I bet. If I were you I’d be watching to see if my neighbors were sneaking over at night with a big bottle of Roundup.

TheBigOldDog on June 19, 2008 at 9:25 PM

I’m starting to understand what the problem is on these threads
thuja on June 19, 2008 at 9:19 PM

I’m starting to see the flaws in your logic.

You feel really good about yourself because you harvest weeds; meanwhile people will have a choice of freezing or starving to death this winter.

But human life has no more value than Kudzu, so who cares?

Buy Danish on June 19, 2008 at 9:27 PM

So, McCain is OK with drilling where millions might see it and complain about their favorite vacation spot being ruined but drilling where there’s nothing but ice, that nobody will ever see or actually care about, thats off limits?

Yeah, that makes sense.

Speakup on June 19, 2008 at 9:28 PM

Yeah, that makes sense.

Speakup on June 19, 2008 at 9:28 PM

It’s like the Grand Canyon, man. The GRAND FREAKING CANYON!!!! /sarc

aero on June 19, 2008 at 9:30 PM

(And, by the way, I would support drilling in the Grand Canyon if there were oil there.)

aero on June 19, 2008 at 9:31 PM

Yeah, that makes sense.

Speakup on June 19, 2008 at 9:28 PM

Summed up nicely. It shows he’s just pandering to the moonbats. He wants to be loved by the MSM and the moonbats.

TheBigOldDog on June 19, 2008 at 9:31 PM

aero on June 19, 2008 at 9:31 PM

Last month, I hiked a ways down into the canyon. There are old mine shafts there.

JiangxiDad on June 19, 2008 at 9:34 PM

Brazil? Cuba? S. China Sea? Arabian Desert?

JiangxiDad on June 19, 2008 at 9:16 PM

Good questions. I would point out that even the leftist environmentalists have been concerned about the whole Earth and not just American property. I am also and I suppose the reason we fight over ANWR is that it is so far away that it hasn’t experienced the human/environmental conflicts of the rest of the planet.

I’m not sure what you mean by junk. I am a fairly hardcore composter and there are items in my compost pile that I’m sure would scandalize some people here. I’m hoping those items work out, but I’m not checking on them until the fall.

To address your question in terms of my lifestyle, I can afford to pay to heat my house. And I usually take public transportation or walk. I live in a city. I suppose that the bottom line on all this is that if Americans were so suffering from higher gas prices that the miles driven would reduce by more than 1%.

thuja on June 19, 2008 at 9:35 PM

There is no short term solution.

Accordng to the Bureau of Transportation Statistics, there were over 230,000,000 registered passenger cars and other 2-axle motor vehicles in the US in 2006. The average daily fuel needs for these vehicles is over 202,000,000 gallons of gasoline per day. Translating the gasoline to barrels of oil = roughly 11 million barrels of oil per day – just for cars, pickup trucks, motorcyles and SUVs. This does not even take into account aircraft, farm machinery, utility usage for manufacturing, busses, trains or anything else that needs petroleum to run.

Also not considered is the myriad and untold number of goods that are manufactured wholly or in part with petrochemicals.

Short-term, even if some wizard discovered or invented something to replace fossil fuels tonight, what the hell will happen? There are 202m vehicles in existence that will need fuel tomorrow and for the forseeable future. There are hundreds of thousands of boilers in manufacturing facilities that need #6 fuel oil to run. There are millions of backyard fuel tanks for home heaters that must be filled. Hundreds of thousands of aircraft must be fueled with high grade kerosene or jet fuel. And on, and on, and on………………

Our esteemed leaders in Washington can say what they want and espouse all of the pie in the sky ideas about alternative fuels they want, but tomorrow, next week, and next year all of the wheels and fires must be fed oil to run.

If the existing infrastucture cant use Barbara Boxer’s magic flux capacitor fuel made from water and pixie dust, what good is it? She gonna buy me a new car?

BacaDog on June 19, 2008 at 9:35 PM

thuja on June 19, 2008 at 9:35 PM

Don’t think you get it. People drive to work in order to survive. The economic recession that is going to hit us if energy and food prices don’t recede is going to be the worst you have ever faced in your life. People will lose their jobs and livelihood, and the standard of living will go down for so many–including you.

JiangxiDad on June 19, 2008 at 9:40 PM

JiangxiDad on June 19, 2008 at 8:53 PM

Same here in Montana JD… If you live outside of a city (which most of us do), you are stuck with propane or oil. This past winter I spent 3,500 on propane; this coming winter the price is expected to double.

Restaurants, arts-theater, amusement parks, vacationing; lot’s of industries going to take huge hits. My wife and I have always eaten out 1-2 times a week; not any more. I’ve got one son in college, and another 1- year away. We sat down recently and cut 500.00 a month from our normal spending patterns. The trickle down effects from this disaster are going to be really hard on Americans, as well as small businesses across the country. We are all being forced into “changes” by our government. When Obama talks uses the word “change”, it makes me want to pull him right out of the TV screen and choke the wimp. Change is already getting shoved down my throat.

Keemo on June 19, 2008 at 9:40 PM

I live in a city.

thuja on June 19, 2008 at 9:35 PM

Have you ever lived in the suburbs or a rural area?

TheBigOldDog on June 19, 2008 at 9:42 PM

Those trying to sell the issue are taking the absolute wrong tact. Such a bunch of dunderheads. Couldn’t sell “garden utensils” on a troop train.

The emphasis should be on the number of high paying, oil related jobs that will be created. Many would be pulled out of burger-flipping and retail jobs to work, and at double the pay. Plus these oil and oil related companies must pledge to hire U.S. citizens or legal immigrants only. This tactic would get average voters interested in a positive way.

Plus the reduction in our trade deficit! Why has no one talked about how that would be affected?

Darvin Dowdy on June 19, 2008 at 9:44 PM

Mebbe, he’s really a Conservative at heart, and he’s lying, just to get elected.

And then, after the election, he’ll change into a Liberal/Democrat hatin’ Republican, just like the rest of us.

*blink*

franksalterego on June 19, 2008 at 9:46 PM

Keemo on June 19, 2008 at 9:40 PM

Ha. We made practically the same comment. We’ve been having those discussions in my house too. I’m looking to save every penny now.

JiangxiDad on June 19, 2008 at 9:47 PM

…and I suppose the reason we fight over ANWR is that it is so far away that it hasn’t experienced the human/environmental conflicts of the rest of the planet.
thuja on June 19, 2008 at 9:35 PM

Whose “we”? Is that a talking point that is shared by your fellow weed worshipers, or is that your own unique position?

Buy Danish on June 19, 2008 at 9:50 PM

sneezeweed
thuja on June 19, 2008 at 9:19 PM

Is it called that because it makes people with allergies sneeze by any chance?

TheBigOldDog on June 19, 2008 at 9:25 PM

No. It’s called sneezeweed, because the Native Americans thought it stopped sneezing. They were wrong on this issue.

thuja on June 19, 2008 at 9:51 PM

thuja on June 19, 2008 at 9:35 PM

Wake-up pal; our politicians have failed us horribly. Our politicians are all in one basket as of now; they all know full well that they had the knowledge of this train wreck a-coming. Our politicians are going to use the media and every other weapon they have, to mold our minds into placing blame for this on anything but themselves. We “the people” had better come together and hope it’s not too late, cause unimaginable times are a-coming.

Keemo on June 19, 2008 at 9:52 PM

Gas goes up another $2 gallon, heating oil in winter doubles in price; the ‘greenies’ will either change their tune or will be put up against a wall. Bank on it.

GarandFan on June 19, 2008 at 9:56 PM

Keemo on June 19, 2008 at 9:52 PM

Unfortunately Keemo, come they will and come they must. This country has degenerated to the point where it doesn’t do anything hard until there is a full-blown crisis. $4 in the Summer isn’t enough apparently.

TheBigOldDog on June 19, 2008 at 9:58 PM

GarandFan on June 19, 2008 at 9:56 PM

Exactly…

TheBigOldDog on June 19, 2008 at 9:59 PM

JiangxiDad on June 19, 2008 at 9:40 PM

I think it’s you don’t get it. It’s late and I’m too lazy to do the research right at this moment, but I think I’m safe in assuming that commutes to work are less than half of car usage. And there is always the possibility of some car pooling to get to work.

And if this terrible economic recession you postulate were so obvious, why doesn’t the stock market reflect this information you have? Why are you smarter than Wall Street?
I’m a capitalist environmentalist, so I need to see stock indices moving down to believe recession talk. And anyway a little recession from time to time is a great thing. Stop your bathos and celebrate creative destruction in the economy. I’m talking the great economist Joseph Schumpeter, whom if you don’t know you should read up on. Even the wikipedia article is ok.

thuja on June 19, 2008 at 10:06 PM

GarandFan on June 19, 2008 at 9:56 PM

The Saudi’s figured us out; can’t beat America military, must beat them by destroying their economy. The “paper tiger” they refer to is none other than our politicians. Those who are of the belief that these “towel heads” are nothing to worry about would also be included in the paper tiger crowd along with our politicians. These towel heads have just brought “change” to every one of us against our will. Pretty damn cunning enemy we face.

Their is no reason to believe that gas won’t go up another $2 a gallon, as the price per barrel is completely out of our control. This is why I place blame on our government; nothing so powerful should be out of our control! Drill you stupid shits; drill as if our lives depend on it! If the Saudi’s don’t stop this attack on our nation, wipe them off the planet. Serious action needs to take place immediately, and we have Obama and McCain both limp dicking around the most serious threat to our way of life that has happened in my life time. Shit….

Keemo on June 19, 2008 at 10:07 PM

As I said on another thread ANWR is 19.2 million acres = 30,000 square miles, 45 mammal species, 180 bird species, no roads, cities, towns. Don’t think we would harm a thing drilling a little oil there.

Ironic, McCain wants oil where the states are divided as to whether they want it but is against it in Alaska where the locals want it in huge majorities as they know the economic boom it will bring in a state that is short of opportunities. So much for states rights.

McCain is just a rather large pain in the ass not particularly liked by either Dem or Republican, just a useful idiot for the news media and not I might add a very bright fellow. He needs someone to splain things to him. That he is about to be responsible for the greatest economic downturn since the great depression.

Thanks John, I will think of you and your fellow Dems every time I fill up.

dhunter on June 19, 2008 at 10:08 PM

I grew up in Oklahoma. My father and a good deal of my family worked in the oil industry. There are much better ways to get that oil today than there used to be. The damage is not nearly so great now.

But I would not be surprised if this poll is true. A lot of people do want to keep some areas off limits for just about everything, including drilling. I think part of the reason for that is that people believe there is oil in other places that the oil companies could go after but they won’t do it. I think that is greatly overstated, but I heard a Democrat say that very thing on the news. They said the oil companies are creating the problem just so they can get their grubby paws on more land to drill. Crazy I know, but people believe that sort of thing.

Terrye on June 19, 2008 at 10:12 PM

dhunter:

McCain was smart enough to survive 5 years in a POW camp. He was smart enough to beat the pants of your namesake in a primary. Just because you do not agree with the man does not make him stupid.

Terrye on June 19, 2008 at 10:14 PM

GarandFan on June 19, 2008 at 9:56 PM

I think they will just write a new script.

Yesterday I heard the Socialist Dems blaming the oil companies for not opening up more refineries, which takes enormous chutzpah, since their envirowacko policies (and dare I say lobbyists) are the impediment that prevents building.

They are also using a “use it or lose it” talking point, which implies that the oil companies are just letting oil rich areas on federal land purposely remain undeveloped in order to manipulate the price of oil.

These are the sort of things you will hear. They will blame Big Oil and get the masses marching with pitchforks in hand on their headquarters, but they will do absolutely nothing to solve the problem, no matter how dire it gets, because to do anything else would be like surrendering to an enemy worse than Al Qaeda.

And there is always the possibility of some car pooling to get to work.
thuja on June 19, 2008 at 10:06 PM

in all due respect, when it comes to the topic of commuting in non-urban settings, you don’t know what the hell you’re talking about.

Buy Danish on June 19, 2008 at 10:16 PM

Terrye on June 19, 2008 at 10:12 PM

Exactly what I’m talking about Terrye. The politicians (all Democrats and loads of Pubs) will use the media to mold their brainwash, placing blame on anything but themselves. America should be independent when it comes to energy; too much is at stake for such a powerful dynamic to be out of our control.

Keemo on June 19, 2008 at 10:17 PM

Keemo on June 19, 2008 at 10:17 PM

It didn’t work with immigration and believe me, it won’t work on oil. They are already scared and flailing around. Watch what happens when the weather turns cold if prices haven’t fallen significantly by then.

TheBigOldDog on June 19, 2008 at 10:23 PM

Terrye on June 19, 2008 at 10:12 PM

Yep, those are the talking points and they will be repeated ad nauseum.

I disagree with you about McCain though, and think dhunter pretty much nailed it.

Buy Danish on June 19, 2008 at 10:23 PM

TheBigOldDog on June 19, 2008 at 9:58 PM

I’m with ya… This is why I believe that we are in for one hell of a huge disaster a-coming…

Keemo on June 19, 2008 at 10:25 PM

Stop your bathos and celebrate creative destruction in the economy.

thuja

The destruction in “creative destruction” is not supposed to be caused by government action. It that were the way it worked, the Soviet Union would have had a booming economy.

flenser on June 19, 2008 at 10:36 PM

Terrye,
I will not be drawn into bashing anyones service except maybe John Karys.
I take exception to the idea that individual survival takes much intellect, Colonel Bud Day and many others had much to do with John surviving.

My username stands for deer hunter and I know it causes confusion but I don’t want to change it.

McCain won a primary where liberal open registration states played a key role thanks to the ineptness of the Republican party, Mike Huckabee, and to a news media propping up their useful idiot.

Seems the guy gives me very little reason to vote for him and days like these seem to be no reason at all. Might as well let the Dems who are brave enough to register as Dems take the credit for the mess that is about to ensue.

I may yet write in Newt or better yet Bozo the Clown as I’m not sure we have enough clowns in Washington yet.

dhunter on June 19, 2008 at 10:41 PM

Even the wikipedia article is ok.

thuja on June 19, 2008 at 10:06 PM

Just a note but anyone that frequently references Wikipedia has no idea what they are talking about:

The Faith-Based Encyclopedia

There is a direct correlation between believing in what Wikipedia has to say and ignorance. Don’t ever reference Wikipedia if you want to be taken seriously.

Next you will be telling us you believe in Gaia. I’ve met many uninformed “environmentalists” and the fact that you even label yourself as such speaks volumes.

Poptech on June 19, 2008 at 10:46 PM

thuja on June 19, 2008 at 9:19 PM

I’m not sure why you call yourself a right winger when you talk of purposefully infringing on the property rights of your neighbors in order to force your definition of “lovely” on them.

Also, artificial inflation of market prices due to questionable government regulation of this type does not lead to the “creative destruction” you pine for any more than the price-caps under Nixon did in the 70s. Creative destruction refers to the replacement of outmoded ideas/companies/technologies by newer, more efficient competitors (Sears by Walmart, typewriters by computers, etc.). Oil is not an outmoded energy source, nor will it be for a very long time. The artificial constraints on exploration simply cause artificial scarcity, with very little benefit in return. We’re paying for ANWR, in lost resources and lost productivity, so that environmentalists can feel better about themselves.

That is not rational.

spmat on June 19, 2008 at 10:48 PM

1 square Mile = 640 acres

Proposed for development..
2000 acres(a little over 3 Miles)

(NOT VERY MUCH)

Chakra Hammer on June 19, 2008 at 10:50 PM

dhunter:

My mistake. I thought it meant Duncan Hunter. I am not saying you have to vote for anyone. My only point is that this is a two man race and one of the men is going to be Barack Obama. There were a lot of candidates running in the primaries on the Republican side, McCain is the guy who won. He did not commit a crime in doing so.

If the war and the judges is not enough reason for you then keep in mind that if you want drilling, McCain will support more drilling than Obama. Even when it comes to global warming, Obama’s plans are far more draconian than anything McCain has come up with. If that is not enough of a reason for you, then sit back and help the Democrats take over. It is your call.

Terrye on June 19, 2008 at 10:51 PM

well i was prepared to give big thumbs up to johnny mac but now i see he was just talking out of his ass. the grand canyon just aint that pristine. they would still be mining uranium there if the bottom hadnt dropped on the prices 20 years ago. and yet johnny mac is apparently ignorant of this or is willfully pandering to the eco-nutz.

someone should ask him in his next blog call if he’ll be for drilling in ANWR if mining starts back up in the Grand Canyon.

chasdal on June 19, 2008 at 10:58 PM

spmat on June 19, 2008 at 10:48 PM

Excellent post.

Buy Danish on June 19, 2008 at 10:59 PM

spmat on June 19, 2008 at 10:48 PM

People living in dirty, unnatural cities are often overly sentimental about the environment due mainly to their own living conditions. They mistakenly think the whole country is like when in reality very little of it actually is.

TheBigOldDog on June 19, 2008 at 11:02 PM

I think our resident noble environmentalist needs to embrace this definition of weed and think of all the harm they are doing the planet:
Britannica Concise Encyclopedia: weed

Any plant growing where it is not wanted. On land under cultivation, weeds compete with crops for water, light, and nutrients. On rangelands and in pastures, weeds are those plants that grazing animals dislike or that are poisonous. Many weeds are hosts of plant disease organisms or of insect pests. Some originally unwanted plants later were found to have virtues and came under cultivation, while some cultivated plants, when transplanted to new climates, escaped cultivation and became weeds in the new habitat.

Buy Danish on June 19, 2008 at 11:05 PM

Thuja:

To answer your question, I have been to the Coastal Plain of ANWR in August. It is a dreadful place. Cold, mosquitos, biting flies. It was so windy that I saw a golden eagle try to take off and he failed to launch. Got slammed back into the ground and started walking. I don’t know where all this green grass came from in the pictures. I suspect they were taken closer to the mountains. I saw mud and crunchy tundra and tall brown grass. I have also been to Prudhoe, and I can tell you that the caribou love the pipeline. It keeps the flies off of them—the flies that eat into their skin and lay eggs. As for polar bears, they don’t seem to mind either. With slant drilling techniques, the effects on the environment will be minimal. I think the main evidence of how environmentally sensitive the oil companies are on the North Slope is the extremes that enviros go to find anything bad about the oil exploration. They track the most minor oil spills like they were the Exxon Valdez. The truth is that oil seepage is common in these areas and drilling for it has very little environmental impact.

fleiter on June 19, 2008 at 11:07 PM

I don’t know if McCain will change his mind on ANWR or not, but at least he is supporting off shore drilling. Obama supports neither.

We can keep ANWR in reserve and someday it might well be drilled, but in the meantime we need to get more nuclear plants and more oil where we can. Thus far the Democrats seem more interested in nationalizing the oil industry than they are in drilling anywhere.

Terrye on June 19, 2008 at 11:08 PM

Buy Danish on June 19, 2008 at 11:05 PM

But they are so pretty when they bloom….

TheBigOldDog on June 19, 2008 at 11:08 PM

But they are so pretty when they bloom….

TheBigOldDog on June 19, 2008 at 11:08 PM

It really is a metaphor for the destruction that the enviros wreak, with either intended or unintended consequences.

Buy Danish on June 19, 2008 at 11:36 PM

I wonder how that 52% would feel if the people in Alaska could outlaw reggae concerts in the lower 48?

Saltysam on June 19, 2008 at 11:45 PM

ANWR represents the easiest available crude oil. When and if gas prices hit $6 a gallon even Obama will throw ANWR under the bus.

Meanwhile McCain should get his ass on a plane and visit the place along with the Gov, Mrs. Palin. She will straighten him out. A simple town hall meeting with the standard charts and more importantly actual pictures of the godforsaken coastal plane, not the glorified pics of the mountains which are 100 miles away will have folks demanding we drill.

These high prices are an opportunity to get our national priorities in order.

patrick neid on June 20, 2008 at 12:27 AM

Yeah, and 95 percent of those polled think Pristine is a Steven King movie and novel about a possessed automobile.

How convenient that these polls are never heard from for months on end yet magically appear the instant ANWR looks like it might be put back on the table. Then again the public saw to it that Clinton was elected twice and the Goreacle and Michael Moore made a mint selling theater tickets to their dupes….

viking01 on June 20, 2008 at 12:37 AM

dhunter on June 19, 2008 at 10:08 PM

I very much agree with you. The truckers are already paying over $5 for diesel. Most people haven’t the slightest idea how the transportation companies in this country affect all of us. I wouldn’t be at all surprised to see the airlines start to go under. The ripple effect from the slowdown in purchasing as people conserve money to pay for energy will be enormous. There will be large layoffs. People will freeze.

Like you, I think this has the potential to be the greatest economic problem we’ve faced since the Great Depression. And for all intents and purposes, we’re seeing a dry run of how the two men running for President would handle it. Obama is stuck on stupid, with no plan and no way out. He’s huddling and hiding in the corner shaking like a leaf. McCain is saying wtf happened? Did something just happent? What’s going on here? McCain is too damn slow, and Obama is MIA.

JiangxiDad on June 20, 2008 at 7:11 AM

I think it would be very interesting to see what would happen should the oil companies remove all their profit from a price of gasoline for say,, oh, 3 weeks. It would bring the price down about, what? .32 or so? Then they can advertise it as such so Americans can see how little profit they make. Gas would still be high, $3.50 or more per gallon. Or even remove half the profits. Just as an ” in your face” to the government! Sort of like saying “Here, see, we’re not making any profits now and even the most mindless idiot can see it has done little to effect the gas price!”

JellyToast on June 20, 2008 at 7:41 AM

52% say ANWR must remain pristine;

75% of Democrats could not locate Alaska on a map.

100% of Democrats think ANWR is located near Burbank.

drjohn on June 20, 2008 at 9:20 AM

JiangxiDad on June 20, 2008 at 7:11 AM

Absolutely right.

What’s astonishing is the seeming obliviousness to this crisis, and crisis it is.

Food is about to go nuts pricewise, home heating oil is the giant spectre of the next winter and yes, airlines are in knee deep in it.

But we’ll take solace that there is a pristine 2000 acres in ANWR, for the very wealthy asses to visit.

drjohn on June 20, 2008 at 9:24 AM

We are paying the price today for the failed enrgy nonpolicies of Jimmy Carter the vetoing of drilling by Bill Cliton and inaction by the environmental terrorists and their congressional supporters.

The Dems will try to blame W. when in fact he has proposed solutions for 7 years and they have rejected each and every one.

I am an economics major in business for myself. When my suppliers come to me complaining that they have to raise prices due to fuel costs I say don’t feel bad do what you have to do I pass them on anyway. I don’t take less money it doesn’t effect me until the pain gets so bad people stop buying. Then we are all in trouble, a senario that is not too far away.

Someone is going to get the credit for the coming disaster and I prefer it not be my party, thus McCain puts me in a hell of a dilema. Someone needs to set this fool down and explain things to him.

He won’t get the black vote, the liberal professor vote, the Hollyweed Stars, Liberal News Media or the environmental wacko vote he might want to try for the middle class working man who is most affected.

dhunter on June 20, 2008 at 11:08 AM

TheBigOldDog on June 19, 2008 at 8:23 PM

BOD and it is getting worse. I can tell you stories about what these enviro wacko’s are doing.

upinak on June 20, 2008 at 11:53 AM