Obama deeply disappointed that McCain thinks his wife should be accountable for what she says; Update: Michelle Obama knocks down the “whitey” rumor

posted at 8:36 pm on June 17, 2008 by Allahpundit

Querying him on things his pastor of 20 years has said is, by his own admission, legitimate. Querying him on things his wife of 20 years has said while on the campaign trail is somehow out of bounds. Ah well. Consider this Exhibit A in why I think it’s a net loss for the GOP to go too hard after Mrs. O: It sets Obama up perfectly to play the good husband.

I mean here’s somebody who’s done everything right. She grew up in modest means. She grew up in a nuclear family. Her parents looked after her. She went to college on a scholarship. She’s worked hard for everything that she has.

She is the best mother I know. She has made repeated sacrifices on behalf of her family and has said that her children and her husband are her number one priority…

I think families are off limits. I would never consider making Cindy McCain a campaign issue, and if I saw people doing that – I would speak out against it. And the fact that I haven’t seen that from John McCain I think is a deep disappointment.

Follow the link for Team McCain’s response noting that Obama didn’t have much to say when Howard Dean demanded to see Cindy McCain’s tax return. McCain has, of course, spoken out against attack ads featuring Wright, although whether that was done (a) in earnest, (b) as a token gesture to keep his own hands clean while a proxy attacked on his behalf, or (c) as a cynical maneuver to drum up even more publicity for the ad is known only to Maverick. Exit question: Is McCain more or less culpable on this point than Obama is vis-a-vis the Democrats’ coded language about McCain’s age?

Update: The Times finally gets it right:

A blogger who supported Senator Hillary Rodham Clinton circulates unfounded claims that Mrs. Obama gave an accusatory speech in her church about the sins of “whitey.” Mrs. Obama shakes her head.

“You are amazed sometimes at how deep the lies can be,” she says in an interview. Referring to a character in a 1970s sitcom, she adds: “I mean, ‘whitey?’ That’s something that George Jefferson would say. Anyone who says that doesn’t know me. They don’t know the life I’ve lived. They don’t know anything about me.”

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2

Re: the update. Omama’s statement is a prime example of a spinning non-denial if I ever heard one. How about “Nope, didn’t say it, never would,” period. Instead we get some wordy, meaningless reference to the Jeffersons sitcom. No, we don’t “know” you, Omama, but what little we do know, we don’t like. Not. At. All.

marybel on June 18, 2008 at 2:14 PM

McCain has come out against hateful ads against Obama, yet Obama doesn’t come out against Moveon.org ads or any of the other hate the left spews, hell Obama is the one turning the hate wheel to the tune of “Ye old 100 years O War”
Rbastid on June 18, 2008 at 11:12 AM

Interesting, don’t you think?

wise_man on June 18, 2008 at 5:31 PM

Well, throw one molecule of race in this from the black side, and watch the man lose. That needs to be fixed yesterday. I am coming to belive it is something that never will be fixed if al we’ve done hasn’t fixed it yet. Woopie Goldbergs comments on “The View” today made me sick. SHe’s not talking black any more, she’s talk shades of color now. SO I guess someone can’t be “black enough” or “blacker than another”. With that alone, I am not voting for Obama because its still too racial. Thanks Whoopie. You just cost the man at least one vote today.

johnnyU on June 18, 2008 at 5:46 PM

Mark my words, the Dems will use this as an excuse to bring up Cindy’s drug abuse, even though it is not even close.

Who cares about the drug abuse … I would rather talk about her “stealing” the drugs and cutting a deal to escape any prosecution … life is good when you are rich!

Monkei on June 19, 2008 at 8:35 AM

June 19 Drudge Headline “Cindy Unleashed”
ABC Kate Snow interview projects a question that is NOT ANSWERED by Cindy McCain in order to “lead” the reader into the biased assumption.

ABC JUNE 18, 2008
[inference unsubstantiated except from wholecloth bias]
Snow asked McCain if she was “insulted when Michelle Obama said she was proud of her country for the first time”, referencing remarks Obama made at a Wisconsin rally during her husband’s fight for the Democratic presidential nomination against Sen. Hillary Clinton, D-N.Y.

–NO ANSWER, NO COMMENT, just reference feb 19 Cindy intro. of husband:

In a rare move, Cindy McCain, wife of the Arizona senator, took on Michelle Obama’s comment Tuesday as she introduced her husband at a rally. “I’m proud of my country, I don’t know if you heard those words earlier. I’m very proud of my country,” she said.
The Arizona senator also made a subtle dig at Michelle Obama’s comments during his victory speech Tuesday night.
“I have never lived a day, in good times or bad, that I haven’t been proud of the privilege” of being an American, McCain said in Columbus, Ohio.
ABC FEB 19, 2008.

“In a rare move” as though Cindy never shows up to John’s events!

I have never lived a day in good times or bad that I haven’t been proud of the privilege of being an American!–For ABC, pride of our country is based upon being a DIG on Obama or any slug whose loyalty is forfeit. Sounds like sour grapes from ABC, themselves forfeit long ago of red, white and blue American pride. Hells bells!

ABC and Drudge, show America the circle in hell reserved for those fabricating resentment towards Cindy McCain.

maverick muse on June 19, 2008 at 10:18 AM

If she doesn’t want to be under public scrutiny she should close her intellectually limited mouth and return here to Chicago to bake cookies. Do what’s right for your babies Michelle and return to the homestead.

The new hair and clothes don’t hide the hatred and contempt she shows in her piercing, angry eyes. I want him to lose just to watch her explosion of defeat. The new hair and clothes will be hanging from all the trees as she explodes into a ball of screaming rage.

UnEasyRider on June 19, 2008 at 3:47 PM