Video: Obama on “President Maliki”

posted at 6:55 pm on June 16, 2008 by Allahpundit

It comes at around 5:40. As silly and harmless as his “Untouchables” quote, but still worth flagging as fodder for the obligatory thought experiment on how the left would react to McCain saying the same thing. We can agree, I trust, that any man possessed of such genius as to recognize that fathers are important can be forgiven the occasional slip of the tongue.

There’s some genuine meat here, actually. Be sure to watch from 3:30 through around 4:45, during which His Holiness makes the comments I wrote about in this post. The caveat about “tactical readjustments” as circumstances on the ground warrant fills me with a sense of, dare I say it, Hope. Exit question: That’s not a … flag lapel pin, is it? Click the image to watch.

obama-maliki.jpg

Comments

Looks like alzheimers is setting in for Obama.

eski502 on June 16, 2008 at 6:58 PM

Looks like a flag lapel pin to me! Change! Betrayal of all the Nutroots hold dear! How dare he wear the flag of such an imperialistic empire that wants nothing more to grab all the precious oil from the world!

Wait, that sounds like Obama’s dream–The messiah over the world! No wonder he wants to be an imperialistic oppressor.

Vanceone on June 16, 2008 at 6:58 PM

I want BarryO to point out Iraq on a map for me. I dare anyone in the media to ask him.

SouthernGent on June 16, 2008 at 7:04 PM

I gotta give credit to Team McCain for bullying Obama into going to Iraq because he can’t come back and not acknowledge the progress made. Heck he couldn’t even keep ignoring the reports in the MSM and not look like he’s clueless, that’s the reason for his new rhetoric.

This will push the Iraq issue into keeping troops there which is exactly where McCain wants this issue in November. There is just no argument against keeping a military presence in Iraq especially at the request of the Iraqi government.

What’s the leader of the free world gonna tell Iraq, NO?

Texas Gal on June 16, 2008 at 7:05 PM

And people say it’s hard to listen to Bush speak. Obama is so slow going when he doesn’t have some pre-written speech to give. “ahhhhhhh… engagin countries ahhhhhhhh surrounding Iraq……………… Iraq’s neighbors…….. ahhhhhhhhhhhhhh. haven’t always been helpful………….”

Snoozer.

That pin sure is shiny in the sun.

How does he convince himself that drastically fewer troops would be more effective at battling terrorists in Iraq?

He brings up oil revenues. Does anyone know if Iraq will assume any debt to us for the liberation/reconstruction of their country? Have we asked for anything?

He thinks that they have the “will” to act in the south and in sadr city because of…. anything but the surge?

Oh great. Seize on the massive prison break as proof of our failure in Afghanistan, no doubt because we are stuck in the Iraq/Vietnam quagmire. If only there were more arabic translators and agriculture experts to send to Afghanistan!

Now Bush cannot enact policy because he is “politically weak” and Bush cannot bind the nation to an agreement cause he is a lame duck? Yes. No hard and fast agreements until Barry O is in office!

Wow. He answered like, eight questions. Wow.

VolMagic on June 16, 2008 at 7:17 PM

“That’s not a flag lapel pin, is it? Click the image to watch.”

Looks like it is but I don’t recognize the origin. It seems to only have 50 stars.

rihar on June 16, 2008 at 7:17 PM

I watched the whole 11:09. I don’t remember a thing he said. All I heard was uh, uh, uh, uh, and uh.

He talks for 4 minutes. I counted 55 uhs.
Then he takes questions.

First answer: 10 uhs
Second answer: 27 uhs
Third answer: 16 uhs
Fourth answer: 7 uhs
Final answer: 29 uhs

144 uhs in 11 minutes. Articulate, Uh-bama!

RushBaby on June 16, 2008 at 7:17 PM

Yeah, I noticed that too. I was thinking: Yeah, he’s politically weak and that’s the way you and your party like it.

terryannonline on June 16, 2008 at 7:19 PM

Uhhh.. ahhh.. Uhh.. Ahhh,. .. Uhh,,,, ahhh.. unnngggg.. ahhhh.. ummm… annnn uuhghhhhh ,.,, ahhhh,,, ummmm… ahhhh… uunnnggg.. uuuummmmm… hhhrrrmmmmmm… ummmm

Chakra Hammer on June 16, 2008 at 7:24 PM

He talks for 4 minutes. I counted 55 uhs.
Then he takes questions.

First answer: 10 uhs
Second answer: 27 uhs
Third answer: 16 uhs
Fourth answer: 7 uhs
Final answer: 29 uhs

144 uhs in 11 minutes. Articulate, Uh-bama!

RushBaby on June 16, 2008 at 7:17 PM

I just watched the first 50 seconds and thats the impreaaion that i got.. I will watch the rest now.. Ummm.. uhhh ummm ahhh.. ummm errrr.. umm ahhhh..

Chakra Hammer on June 16, 2008 at 7:26 PM

Gaffe-a-roni!

Gaffe-a-rama!

The original Gaffe-a-tron! Just watch it opens its mouth!

kirkill on June 16, 2008 at 7:27 PM

The still looks like his head is about to explode. Kind of like that movie Scanners.

kirkill on June 16, 2008 at 7:29 PM

Contrast that with what he said right after the SOTU in January:

“…tonight we heard President Bush say that the surge in Iraq is working, when we know that’s just not true.”

Of course, I suppose he could spin this as saying that all the progress occurred in the five months since he issued that particular gaffe.

flipflop on June 16, 2008 at 7:30 PM

Didn’t Harry Reid tell us this guy was articulate?????? Confused would be far more accurate.

Why do I feel like he was making this up at the moment?

Will he talk like this with Iran??? Good grief.

On second thought maybe his poor speaking is a good thing, he can bore our enemies to death.

allrsn on June 16, 2008 at 7:30 PM

looks like his “uhhh’s” are contagious the guy that asked the second question had 3 “uhhh’s” in his question.. LOL

Chakra Hammer on June 16, 2008 at 7:33 PM

Obama uses so many uh’s because he is trying to remember what to say. His opinion is so scripted he is bouind to lose it in a debate, and why he won’t do townhalls. Once off script he is toast.

McCain has the opposite problem. When you believe in what you are saying a script is not neccesary.

Theworldisnotenough on June 16, 2008 at 7:34 PM

The Wizard of Uhhhs strikes again.

JammieWearingFool on June 16, 2008 at 7:34 PM

SOFA….

Not binding to the next admin. WTH is that? Then why should the Iraqi gov’t make a SOFA agreement at all? He is saying that the word of the American government is, pardon the pun, hot air.

This fella has Bill’s bullshoveler mastered. The problem is our enemies know it while our own public is lapping it up.

Limerick on June 16, 2008 at 7:35 PM

I think a slug would go faster in reverse!!!

It hurt to watch this with his Umm’s and Ahhh’s and just sitting there watching him think!.. I could see the Gerbil running and it was only running at half the normal speed or a normal person!

upinak on June 16, 2008 at 7:36 PM

Why do I feel like he was making this up at the moment?

Will he talk like this with Iran??? Good grief.

allrsn on June 16, 2008 at 7:30 PM

Maybe Obama was talking to the guy in Arabic, and had to translate the conversation in his mind.. LOL

Chakra Hammer on June 16, 2008 at 7:36 PM

“The most important thing is to send a message to the Iraqi people…”

In discussing pulling out, he did not say the “most important” thing is to get our soldiers home. How much would Kerry jump all over for him for that?

Is it just me, or did he make it pretty clear that he is threatening to pull out *not* to get our troops home, but to send a message to the Iraqis and to save ourselves some money.

MayBee on June 16, 2008 at 7:39 PM

The reason he is talking to Iraq is because Iraq is talking to him. They have placed their bet that Barry is the future.

Limerick on June 16, 2008 at 7:40 PM

By comparison, McCain is a spellbinding orator. Take Osama Obama away from his writers and telepromter, and he’s a mindless drone.

The Supreme Court should rule that having to listen to that meandering stream of drivel is unconstitutional.

MrScribbler on June 16, 2008 at 7:41 PM

RushBaby on June 16, 2008 at 7:17 PM

Uhhhhh, I’ll bet ummmmmm ….Howie Carr will have some fun with this.

hillbillyjim on June 16, 2008 at 7:41 PM

When is Barry going to get the world leaders name quiz that was given to Bush when he was running for his first term?

I pay to see Barry’s answers to that. I bet he’d make Bush look like a genius.

AZCoyote on June 16, 2008 at 7:44 PM

Looks like alzheimers is setting in for Obama.

eski502 on June 16, 2008 at 6:58 PM

It’s a good thing the conversation didn’t take place a few days ago——-Obama would have put the news crew to sleep with his ahhh’s and uuuuuh’s.

rihar on June 16, 2008 at 7:17 PM

Remember, if it’s Obama’s pin, it has 57 stars—one for each state he’s visited.

And the coup di graw is that Obama would (of course) consult with “Generals on the Ground”???? How about the architect of the surge you frikkin moron? Does Obama uuuuh, think maybe, uuuuuuh it would make sense to consult the commander of Multi-National Force – Iraq??? Is one of your first priorities as the new President to fire Petraeus?

Rovin on June 16, 2008 at 7:45 PM

P-O-T-A-T-O

-E

Cicero43 on June 16, 2008 at 7:49 PM

Uh, he definitely would have, uh, failed, uh, public speaking, uh 101.

Big John on June 16, 2008 at 8:00 PM

he sounds like he’s burning a load in his drawers with all the aaaaaaannnnnddds and uuuuuuhhhhhhhhhs every time he has to answer a question whre he can’t read the response.

swami on June 16, 2008 at 8:03 PM

He is so out of his league!!!!!!!!! The Iraqi factions making “political accomodations”!!! Is that code talk for genocide? Repeat after me: EMPTY SUIT.

bloggless on June 16, 2008 at 8:05 PM

Frightening.
The Iraqi foreign minister brings up the need for a SOFA for Iraq’s immediate future, and Barack basically tells him to f*** off.
America’s word is mud again if he gets elected.

Rhinoboy on June 16, 2008 at 8:11 PM

If I had a dime for every “uhhh” that Obama uttered in this little clip, I’d be able to buy that new Lear Jet I’ve been wanting.

LegendHasIt on June 16, 2008 at 8:14 PM

Good lord this guy is such a dolt. The Democrats created this monster and now they don’t know how to control him.

rplat on June 16, 2008 at 8:14 PM

TH-TH-TH-TH-TH-THAT’S ALL FOLKS.

bloggless on June 16, 2008 at 8:17 PM

President, eh? O seems out of touch.

SouthernGent on June 16, 2008 at 7:04 PM

That would be hilarious. Or better: ask him what countries border Iraq.

144 uhs in 11 minutes. Articulate, Uh-bama!

RushBaby on June 16, 2008 at 7:17 PM

BO could have benefited from a USAF Technical Training Instructor course, in which ‘uhs’ are purged from one’s “vocabulary.” (This is one of the reasons I can’t stand listening to him.)

Of course, O would never have dreamed of joining the military.

baldilocks on June 16, 2008 at 8:21 PM

Worst. Candidate. Ever.

rockmom on June 16, 2008 at 8:23 PM

That’s not a … flag lapel pin, is it? Click the image to watch.

Why such a big deal with flag lapel pins? Didn’t Timothy McVay (someone like that anyway) wear a cross?

MB4 on June 16, 2008 at 8:39 PM

LegendHasIt on June 16, 2008 at 8:14 PM

And yet he is still ahead of “our” candidate, Juan McVain by 4 points in both the latest Rasmussen and Gallup tracking polls.

So sad.

MB4 on June 16, 2008 at 8:42 PM

Uh, aaah,ummm, is this guy already speaking for the US in his role as ordained President. Did you guys not get a shiver, and not in your leg, over that??

Pride (arrogance) goeth before the fall. The sooner the better.

Ugh

eaglesdontflock on June 16, 2008 at 8:44 PM

Dismiss Obama at your own peril.

Obama is a very articulate, very intelligent, Harvard law graduate, who is extraordinarily [well I don't think that I would go quite that far] smart, and he’s not going to come across in a debate like some guy who’s dopey. He’s going to come across as fully prepared. He knows how to study all this stuff. He has the military advisers. However, the problem with Obama is he’s wrong. It’s not that he’s inexperienced. It’s that his policies are wrong [of course most of McCain's policies are wrong too, but never mind that].
- Newt Gingrich

MB4 on June 16, 2008 at 8:48 PM

A very good demonstration why Obama won’t agree to unscripted townhall meetings with McCain.

Texas Gal on June 16, 2008 at 8:49 PM

I was going to suggest someone make a gaffe video and put all his uhhh…s together but it looks like there is no need to uhh… do uhh… that now.

abinitioadinfinitum on June 16, 2008 at 8:50 PM

Uhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh…ahhhhhh I ahhhhhhhh..thoughtahhhhhh… I heard himahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh…almost sayaahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh…STRATEEGERY
I could be wrong though.

Lunkinator on June 16, 2008 at 8:53 PM

EMPTY SUIT.

bloggless on June 16, 2008 at 8:05 PM

That’s an insult to hangers everywhere.

abinitioadinfinitum on June 16, 2008 at 9:09 PM

The lad is so determined to exit Iraq in order to institute the Great Society II with the funds that he perceives will be freed up. (Remember how terrific that Great Society I and the War on Poverty turned out to be? Those boondoggles exacerbated the problems that he attempted to address as a Community Organizer™)

He managed to slip in his attacks on President Bush, however unfounded; ie., weakened President, haste in entering Iraq. Uh, Barry lad, there was bipartisan support for our engagement in the country. And he intends not to honor any agreement that our current president negotiates?

The “uhs” gave BarryOh! time to let the wheels turn and craft a response that gives him plenty of wiggle room and plausible deniability for his fainting fans.

Was Michael alMoore hosting the event in Flint? Will OhBummer promise the unemployed green jobs or opportunities to be Community Organizers™ themselves?

D’uhhhhhhh…

onlineanalyst on June 16, 2008 at 9:12 PM

SouthernGent on June 16, 2008 at 7:04 PM

Now now SouthernGent, Michelle has stayed up many nights teaching Barack where Afghanistan and Iraq are on the map.

carbon_footprint on June 16, 2008 at 9:33 PM

Maliki asked Zebari what Obama had to say and Zebari said, “uhhh, ummm… ahhh… ummm… ahhhh ummm.. ahhhh… ahhhh.. ummma ahh ummm ahhh”

Then Maliki says, “hey man quit messin’ with me what did he say?”

Zebari, “He said this… Ummm.. ahh… ummm ahhh ummm umm aahhh ahhh ummmmm ummm errr ahhh ummmm aaaa”

Chakra Hammer on June 16, 2008 at 9:39 PM

SouthernGent on June 16, 2008 at 7:04 PM

Oh he will find Iraq just fine…then he’d point to where Israel “was”.

malkinmania on June 16, 2008 at 10:06 PM

Spit it out Ahhh-bama! This guy can barely talk without a TelePrompTer

Dollayo on June 16, 2008 at 10:40 PM

onlineanalyst on June 16, 2008 at 9:12 PM

Yup. Before this election cycle is over BHO is gonna make The Clenis look like a parsing piker. No small feat.

soundingboard on June 16, 2008 at 10:43 PM

Has it come to this?

I am agreeing with the People’s Daily publication of the Chinese Commmunist Party on Obama:

“To borrow a phrase used in Clinton and Obama’s campaigns, maybe one can describe the feelings that voters might encounter: Everyone imagine for a moment the person who picks up the red phone at 3am in the morning in the White House — if it’s McCain, they will be at ease.” – Peoples Daily Monday 06-16-08

entagor on June 16, 2008 at 10:51 PM

allrsn on June 16, 2008 at 7:30 PM

That, and I’d be willing to bet money that his precious young supplicants who’re all fired up over him couldn’t sit through that type of speech.

4shoes on June 16, 2008 at 10:51 PM

The Great uh, uh, Communicator, Part, umm, umm, Deux? LOL!

Teddy on June 16, 2008 at 11:07 PM

Rushbaby wrote:

He talks for 4 minutes. I counted 55 uhs.

That’s a, uh, uh, sign of uh, uh superior uh, uh intellect he uh, uh borrowed from uh, uh Ted uh, uh Kennedy. Uh huh. Uh huh.

Paul-Cincy on June 16, 2008 at 11:24 PM

Did he say, “President Malaki”? Yes, he did @ 5:42. I thought Maliki was the Prime Minister or Iraq and that Jalal Talabani was the President. But what do I know? Obama’s so smart he wouldn’t confuse the who’s who of the Iragi leadership. I must be mistaken.

BillyRuffn on June 17, 2008 at 12:00 AM

We must remember that he’s spent his adult life married to Michelle. One wrong word from him and he’s pummeled. We’d all be stammering if we were married to that self-righteous woman.

Mojave Mark on June 17, 2008 at 12:13 AM

The Wizard of Uhhhs strikes again.

JammieWearingFool on June 16, 2008 at 7:34 PM

Uh-rack Uh-bama.

geckomon on June 17, 2008 at 3:29 AM

Hopenchange FTW!

AlexB on June 17, 2008 at 4:37 AM

When Obama isn’t using a teleprompter, he is nearly unwatchable. Very painful and uncomfortable to listen to.

cat-scratch on June 17, 2008 at 7:58 AM

Prime Minister….President…..Messiah…..what’s the diff?

Wouldn’t it be a hoot if Barry O explained to us his policies as PM of America? I doubt the left would complain.

csdeven on June 17, 2008 at 8:03 AM

Didn’t Harry Reid tell us this guy was articulate??????
allrsn on June 16, 2008 at 7:30 PM

Biden said he was clean. If he’s as uh, clean as he is uh, articulate, uh, I don’t want to shake his uh, hand.

Akzed on June 17, 2008 at 9:25 AM

I think Miss Teen South Carolina speaks better than he does.

“I personally believe that US Americans…..

Big Orange on June 17, 2008 at 9:33 AM

By the end of the Campaign, BHO will not even have to respond, he will just show up and smile…his program will be parroted by the Morons and no words will be necessary. He will just BE!

el Vaquero on June 17, 2008 at 9:42 AM

Did Obama take press conference lessons from Scott McClellan?

Or has Chris Matthews’ leg fallen asleep from lack of thrills?

All those uhs and ahs show that Obama REALLY doesn’t want to talk about Iraq, and he’s trying to buy time to rhetorically square the circle, with his uhhhhh, judgment, and uhhhhhh oratory and uhhhhh charisma.

Short and sweet summary: McCain and Bush were right about the surge. But Obama can’t bring himself to say THAT!

Steve Z on June 17, 2008 at 10:11 AM

Sombody shave his head. I’ll bet a case of Dom there are three sixes under it….The marxist messiah is the anti-Christ…………..uuuuuuuuuuuhhhh,aaaaahhhhhhh,uuuuuuhh,aaaaaahh, “arugula”, aaahhh,uuuuuunnnnnhhhh, “Take away money from the working rich and give it to dirty socialist hippies”, aaaaahhhhh,uuuuuuuuuuhhhhhhhhh. Yeah, my next President all right…Idiot…

adamsmith on June 17, 2008 at 1:15 PM

I listened to the whole tape and almost dozed off. I understood very little because of all the ah’s and um’s. Without a teleprompter this guy is a complete idiot.

His plan might be to bore all the American citizens into a comatose state and then have his way with us. Between his speaking style and the dreadful state of our educational system, the man stands a good chance of ruling with an iron fist. Dumb and doped we’ll be putty in his hands.

UnEasyRider on June 17, 2008 at 3:42 PM

Over 11 minutes of this moron painfully strugling not to say anything too positive about Iraq, making sure to get Harry and Nancy’s talking points in there, along with some moveon drivle. This clown is such an empty suit, it’s pathetic.

oakpack on June 17, 2008 at 3:43 PM

people in the crowds at his speeches weren’t passing out they were falling asleep!

Chakra Hammer on June 17, 2008 at 3:56 PM

Obama has a real problem looking people in the eye when he speaks. He always looks down and/or away.

Urban Infidel on June 17, 2008 at 8:17 PM

LoL.. Uhhh huuuhhh uhhhh uuhhh I had to watch this again..

Chakra Hammer on July 8, 2008 at 5:28 PM