Newt Gingrich: Jindal for VP!

posted at 6:14 pm on June 16, 2008 by Allahpundit

But won’t putting Jindal on the ticket defang the GOP’s argument about Obama’s inexperience, you (and I) say? Who cares, replies Newt? That argument’s a loser anyway, per the Democratic primary and assorted polls. Instead of looking at number two as an opportunity to put the screws to Obama on experience, we should be looking at it as an opportunity to leverage some of the buzz on change, secure in the knowledge that the left won’t dare attack Jindal for his youth when Obama’s record is even thinner than his is. I don’t buy it, partly because I don’t think Jindal has enough of a fan base even within the party yet to bring much to the ticket and partly because experience does in fact play into the “big decisions” point Newt makes near the end here. But even more basic than that is age: On inauguration day next year, he’ll still be fully five years younger than the youngest man ever to become president (and his extreme precocity only makes McCain’s age that much more striking by contrast). Rationally speaking, it’s silly to distinguish between the capabilities of a 47-year-old and a 37-year-old, but not everyone’s going to vote rationally. If you think it’s worth the risk, explain to me what he brings to the ticket at this point that no one else does.

Still a better suggestion, though, than David Frum’s, who per his conclusion seems to think McCain’s top priority in choosing a VP shouldn’t be winning the election so much as “securing his vision” by naming the one Republican out there more likely to antagonize the Christian base than McCain himself. Smart.

Comments

What’s Jindal’s position on Gorebull Warning?

CyberCipher on June 16, 2008 at 6:19 PM

Newt, like Huck, is full of bad ideas

Roger Waters on June 16, 2008 at 6:19 PM

Youth. I don’t think it undermines his experience argument, but that’s just me. If we’re going to take the stance that an inexperienced VP undermines the argument of an experienced P, wouldn’t the opposite also be true? Therefore all Obama has to do, and most likely will do, is appoint an experienced VP. That wipes away our argument anyway, no?

amerpundit on June 16, 2008 at 6:23 PM

The fact that McCain is the Liberal nominee of the Republican Party overshadows anything else possibly good that might be coming from that Party.

Jindal is Catholic like myself, so as John Kennedy and John Kerry.

It doesn’t mean anything.

What I would’ve wanted to see is a Conservative nominee, not the other mild Liberal side of the Democratic Party’s nominee.

What about taking over from McCain, Indy?

That’s bullshit.

If he wants to run for President, Jindal should do it when it’s convenient to him, when the time is right, not because he is a Vice President.

Besides, Hussein is the next President. I don’t know why I wrote that comment.

See? Even smart people like myself can be stupid!

NOT.

Indy Conservative on June 16, 2008 at 6:24 PM

Jindal believes in God, so he can’t be in the Government at all can he?

kirkill on June 16, 2008 at 6:25 PM

I think McCain should choose someone who can bring enthusiasm to the campaign. I just see anyone who has experienced on the national level doing that.

terryannonline on June 16, 2008 at 6:25 PM

Newt, some people won’t vote for Obama based solely on his inexperience..

there are other factors that will case people not to vote for him also..

His extreme ideology(most liberal senator out of 100), never reaching to the other side(he had plenty of opportunities to join bi-partisan legislation and didn’t), no real accomplishments(didn’t really do anything major).. has lots of bad associations, Rev. Wright, Rezko, Ayres, Pfleger

Chakra Hammer on June 16, 2008 at 6:25 PM

Sorry I forgot “don’t” in my last comment.

terryannonline on June 16, 2008 at 6:26 PM

OT, when is the Nickname: (editing temporarily disabled) going to be un-temporarily enabled again? I just want to change my nickname to the same one I use in other sites.

kirkill on June 16, 2008 at 6:28 PM

explain to me what he brings to the ticket at this point that no one else does.

For the record, I don’t think it’s a good idea to put him on the ticket, but he does bring a certain exorcism-based cancer care strategy than no other candidate can. You know, he was a health care commisioner in the federal government, so he has the experience, and this provides a low-cost alternative to the expensive government health care proposals that the Democrats are likely to propose.

Big S on June 16, 2008 at 6:29 PM

Allah, do you think Newt, does not like Palin?

Makes me wonder if Newt can’t stand women in general.

upinak on June 16, 2008 at 6:30 PM

Jindal needs to stay as far away from McCain’s ilk as possible. Let him build up his experience and clout by reforming Louisiana first, then run for President himself in 2012 or 2016. If he gets on with McCain he’ll be tainted forever and will destroy his promising political career.

KSgop on June 16, 2008 at 6:31 PM

Kentucky Exit Poll Experience..

[IMG]http://i28.tinypic.com/1z22eqa.jpg[/IMG]

South Dakota Exit Poll Experience..

[IMG]http://i28.tinypic.com/4hzalj.jpg[/IMG]

————

Now these are Democrats…. So… Yes, it will be a factor..

Chakra Hammer on June 16, 2008 at 6:31 PM

Bobby Jindal is where he needs to be right now, cleaning up Louisiana. Besides, I don’t want him being tainted by contact with McCain.

thekingtut on June 16, 2008 at 6:31 PM

Kentucky Exit Poll Experience..

South Dakota Exit Poll Experience..

————

Now these are Democrats…. So… Yes, it will be a factor..

Chakra Hammer on June 16, 2008 at 6:32 PM

AP: “…I don’t think Jindal has enough of a fan base even within the party yet…”.

Never underestimate the power of cool.

Clinton (admittedly, for Pres. and not VP), among others in the last few decades, came out of nowhere to capture and rapture the voters.

McCain/Jindal in 2008 could be just right for the GOP for this “moment in history.”

Lockstein13 on June 16, 2008 at 6:32 PM

Chakra Hammer on June 16, 2008 at 6:32 PM

I like how the polls only say “Can Bring Change” and nothing else. Pretty sad.

upinak on June 16, 2008 at 6:33 PM

I think Jindal on the ticket strengthens the Obama’s-too-young-and-inexperienced argument because it puts the young and inexperienced rising star where he should be on the ticket – in second place, being mentored by an old pro until he’s ready for the top spot. To me, it points up the obvious fact that Obama should have been Richardson’s or Biden’s VP if this were an actual job interview based on actual useful leadership experience.

aero on June 16, 2008 at 6:34 PM

Gee, the only time we elected a Vice President who was under 40 at ascension, he had perhaps a greater impact than any sitting Vice President of the second half of the 19th century, helping to split both his party and his country in two. Granted, both of these (and the resulting Civil War) were likely inevitable even without John Breckinridge, but it’s still not a good record. We elected another person under thirty who turned 40 the month of the inauguration. His name? Richard Nixon.

Let’s give this guy a bit of time and experience, shall we?

calbear on June 16, 2008 at 6:35 PM

There are two reasons why I do not want to see Jindal be McCain’s Veep. 1)He needs to stay in Louisiana and clean up that state. I have a personal reason because Louisiana is my home state and my family is there. 2)He needs to stay clear of any taint that McVain would put on him as KSgop just wrote. McPain will taint the GOP for years to come and the good people still in the GOP need to stay away from him.

Ceroth on June 16, 2008 at 6:35 PM

The Left wouldn’t dare disparage a minority on the ticket either! Oh, wait, nevermind.

SouthernGent on June 16, 2008 at 6:37 PM

I am increasingly annoyed with Newt Gingrich. I used to love the guy, but lately he seems to be just yammering to hear himself talk WITHOUT thinking for even 10 seconds about what he is saying.

If Jindal is whisked away from LA before he has gained the experience as an executive he needs and before he has proven his abilities as a reformer by having the time to ACTUALLY reform something, he will be ruined as the future of the GOP.

Newt has a horrible and stupid idea.

Beside, any one that gets saddled with McLame will find that it is the last thing they will ever do in politics.

I(f we want to groom Bobby Jindal as the future of this party LEAVE HIM ALONE for now. Let him get a chance to actually DO something before we assume he is the next Reagan!

Stupid Newt, stupid, stupid Newt.

Warner Todd Huston on June 16, 2008 at 6:38 PM

I like how the polls only say “Can Bring Change” and nothing else. Pretty sad.

upinak on June 16, 2008 at 6:33 PM

yea, i grabbed those from CNN’s exit polls..

Not sure what “Can bring change” is all about.. LOL

OHH, Part of his slogan.. sheesh..

Chakra Hammer on June 16, 2008 at 6:41 PM

Jindal/Palin 2012

jp on June 16, 2008 at 6:41 PM

Jindal/Palin 2012

jp on June 16, 2008 at 6:41 PM

Might be a Palin/Jindal instead. She and Jindal have a good amount of experience between them.

upinak on June 16, 2008 at 6:43 PM

I don’t really care about experience, and I think most people are that way…otherwise Hillary would of won. Personally I want someone who is fresh, who holds most of my values and is wise and intelligent. The experience I look at is how he handles stress, who he hires, and how people smart he is. You can hire advisers to handle the experience…its a matter of can you hire the right advisers?

Conservative Voice on June 16, 2008 at 6:44 PM

Warner Todd Huston on June 16, 2008 at 6:38 PM

True, Titanic McCain will bring down whoever rides his express train. I don’t know if I can vote for McCain even if he picked Michael Reagan as his VP. It isn’t like the VP is going to convince McCain to govern more conservative, but it will taint that conservative as a McCainian.
As time gets closer, Bob Barr is looking good.

Conservative Voice on June 16, 2008 at 6:49 PM

I have to admit, I am not at all familiar with Jindal–with that out of the way, how can anyone sit there like Newt and speak for the whole country? Is it me or is it plausible to believe you know how people think?
I thought it ludicrous to say that the country will not vote for someone based on inexperience. I find it a very good reason not to vote for someone–take that along with Obama’s affiliations and it is beyond outrageous as to why one would vote for him.

Conservatives R Us on June 16, 2008 at 6:49 PM

I used to think that Frum might be a moron, but now I know he’s a moron. Rudy??? Are you f’ing kidding me? All the baggage, and none of the electoral benefits. It’s bad enough that McCain has turned his back on conservatives, but naming Rudy as VP would be spitting in their face.

Hollowpoint on June 16, 2008 at 7:04 PM

Are you f’ing kidding me? All the baggage, and none of the electoral benefits.

At least he never claimed to cure cancer via exorcism.

Big S on June 16, 2008 at 7:05 PM

NO!!! Bobby Jindal will be president in 2012. Leave him alone. He does not need McCain to destroy his credibility. He is the real deal and we need him to get his experience built up so he cannot be smacked down like the inexperienced Obama.

ihasurnominashun on June 16, 2008 at 7:13 PM

Also on the short list:
Governor Pawlenty Speaks at the 2008 Atlanta Governors Forum

RBMN on June 16, 2008 at 7:22 PM

Bobby or Fred for VP. Bobby will open the West Cost states to be contested and migrate conservative fears. Its a win win situation.

jdun on June 16, 2008 at 7:22 PM

Oh man, how ugly the nutroots are going to get with that combo ticket. I envision some sort of Kipling reference with Mac cast as Viceroy with his little brown Sepoy.

Of course, they’ll say the most vile, hateful things no matter who he picks. So sure, McCain/Jindal then.

Hannibal Smith on June 16, 2008 at 7:29 PM

McCain should listen to Gingrich. I wished Gingrich would have run for the presidency, but we are stuck with McCain. But I think Jindal’s credentials and conservativism is priceless for the ticket.

jencab on June 16, 2008 at 7:39 PM

Not yet. Jindal has business to take care of in Louisiana.

SoulGlo on June 16, 2008 at 7:40 PM

Bobby needs full term in LA before he goes to the national level.

Tim Burton on June 16, 2008 at 7:41 PM

Bobby needs full term in LA before he goes to the national level.

Tim Burton on June 16, 2008 at 7:41 PM

Why Obama didn’t and he’s at the TOP of the ticket.. LOL

Chakra Hammer on June 16, 2008 at 7:54 PM

You can TAKE him. We’re about sick of him here in Louisiana. Your conservative wonder boy is admits he’s allowing the legislature to more than double their pay because he’s afraid they’ll stop other stuff he wants passed from getting through later. This, in spite of the fact that he’s got a line item veto that a whole bunch of us worked our as$es off to get in place to stop just this kind of nonsense. He’s turning out to be your basic, useless, corrupt Louisiana pol.

Laura on June 16, 2008 at 7:59 PM

With a line item veto in his pocket, and the general public SCREAMING for action, Jindal gives us this wimpy response:

Jindal said he did not want to give legislators a reason to sidetrack the bills he wants passed. “I don’t want to give anybody any excuse for slowing down any of the important reform going through the legislature (that are) important to the people of Louisiana,” Jindal said.

Jindal mentioned health care, education and tax initiatives pending legislative approval as the session nears a June 23 end.

Asked if he had been threatened by lawmakers, Jindal said he would not discuss private conversations with legislators.

They gutted his ethics reform, and not a peep out of him. I wish McCain WOULD take him as VP. We might as well have Mitch Landreiu in the office, if Jindal doesn’t have the spine or other required body parts to stand up to these SOBs.

Laura on June 16, 2008 at 8:06 PM

Rationally speaking, it’s silly to distinguish between the capabilities of a 47-year-old and a 37-year-old,…

Obviously, anyone 44 years old or younger is simply wet behind the ears, naive, and unseasoned.

/45 yrs. old : )

hillbillyjim on June 16, 2008 at 8:12 PM

Please leave Sen. McCain, leave Gov. Jindal alone, he is the only hope and change I am happy about but he needs some experience. He has the ability, like President Reagan, to make me remember that we are Americans and we can do anything and will overcome anything. Not like Senator Obama who thinks that the individual is nothing without the government to tell them how to live.

Cindy Munford on June 16, 2008 at 8:25 PM

Cindy, are you serious? You’re not from Louisiana, I guess. Trust me, you don’t want him. Take some time to see what he’s been up to since we elected him Gov. and you’ll understand why Louisiana conservatives are so bitter about him.

Laura on June 16, 2008 at 8:33 PM

Laura on June 16, 2008 at 8:33 PM

What? Exorcism isn’t curing cancer as well as everyone hoped?

freevillage on June 16, 2008 at 8:49 PM

I know about the pay raises, that was a downer but I haven’t heard or read anything else bad about him. I noticed that the non-believers are not happy about his answer on ID but I don’t buy into those arguements since faith is a personal thing. Although I do think it is funny that my own kids have “doubts” about God but has no problem believing in space aliens. I am going to watch Gov. Jindal, I am sure he will make mistakes, he is pretty young, but good Lord, considering what y’all have had there since time inmemorial just how bad can he have been in the few months he has been running the show?

Cindy Munford on June 16, 2008 at 8:51 PM

Inexperience and age is not the “contrast” that matters most. It may not be polite but Bobby Jindal and his family gives the ticket some ethnicity. John McCain and his family come off as what they are- lilly white bluebloods who have spent little time outside a world where everybody looks precisely like them, thinks like precisely like them, acts like precisely like them. In John McCain’s world, the only Hispanics he knows mow his lawns and cleans his houses. John McCain is precisely the type of Republican that Howard Dean was talking about when he made the comment about having to bring in the wait staff for the GOP to be diverse.

I don’t think Jindal is a good choice for the simple reason he just got elected governor. It seems a bit opportunistic on the Clintonian magnitude for him to throw Louisiana under the bus so soon after they overwhelmingly voted him into office.

highhopes on June 16, 2008 at 9:08 PM

Cindy Munford on June 16, 2008 at 8:51 PM

Cindy, I don’t care about ID. That’s at the very bottom of my list. But take his ethics reform – a total sham – we ended up with less than we started with and all he does is take a bow for the “great thing” he did. That’s not a matter of inexperience. That’s a lie. A total lie, after a campaign based on honesty and ethics. And now that he’s in office, he’s fighting oversight and sunshine laws tooth and nail. Giving massive salaries to his cronies and staffers. This is a matter of character, and he doesn’t have it. We got played, it’s as simple as that. I just hope the rest of the country catches on quickly so this is as far as his career goes.

Laura on June 16, 2008 at 9:15 PM

Newt who?

tomk59 on June 16, 2008 at 9:24 PM

Newt LOVES to hear himself talk, kinda like the Huckster.

redrock on June 16, 2008 at 9:31 PM

Laura on June 16, 2008 at 9:15 PM

I think your condemnation is a bit premature. Let’s not forget the generations of bad government entrenched in Baton Rouge. You really are bashing him after six months on the job? I’m more disappointed with the legislature who had no problem proposing tripling their salaries to make up for all those ethics reforms. I am also disappointed that Jindal won’t veto the compromise doubling of salaries but I still think it is too early to write him off as just another Louisiana politician criminal.

highhopes on June 16, 2008 at 9:31 PM

Newt says that voters might turn from Obama NOT because of his inexperience, but because they would be troubled by his handling of larger issues of principal, or words to that effect…i would think that at least for some, the reason for being concerned about how he would handle larger issues of principal would be…his inexperience.

surrounded on June 16, 2008 at 9:38 PM

Oh boy, youth, dark skin, exorcism AND crackpot crypto-philosophical “science classes”

Hes the whole package!

Squid Shark on June 16, 2008 at 9:47 PM

Hes the whole package!

Squid Shark on June 16, 2008 at 9:47 PM

Balances out the ancient pasty agnostic who runs as secular humanist with no tolerance of social conservatives and evangelicals? No? ;-0

Face it squid, McCain needs help if he is going to win in November. That help is going to come by broadening his appeal. To date, McCain seems loathe to reach out to any bloc that doesn’t have the same wrong-headed liberal views that he does. At some point he is going have to get out of his comfort zone and actually talk to the real Republicans that got GWB elected the past two cycles.

The days of McCain simply listening to like-minded fools and basking in their adoration need to come to an end. McCain needs to get serious about campaigning. A good first step would be for his supporters to not automatically label anybody who isn’t a McCain moonbat the way you (wrongly) portray Bobby Jindal.

highhopes on June 16, 2008 at 10:00 PM

highhopes on June 16, 2008 at 9:31 PM

What do generations of bad government have to do with what Jindal is, himself, doing right NOW? Nothing. I’m not bashing him for stopping other people from doing something wrong. I’m bashing him for what he, personally, is doing wrong. Things well within his power to do. He won’t veto the pay raise; he won’t use the line-item veto on the pork and other things; he let his ethics reform get gutted without saying a word – except to brag about it on Leno; he’s fighting to have exceptions for himself and his staff from sunshine laws. All totally unacceptable things from Jindal himself.

Laura on June 16, 2008 at 10:54 PM

Jindal could be great or he could be a great phoney. How would I know?

I do know both parties like to bait and switch. That is how Clinton, Bill and Carter got elected. Obama too, as far as I can see is a total unknown photgenic fish like Bill and Jimmy slid on the plate so fast you did have time to check the details (there weren’t any details)

After the election you can find out what they stand for

The last minute menu changes always substitute something ‘photogenic’ and ‘Presidential’ for real meat.

If only I could believe these guys again

entagor on June 16, 2008 at 11:03 PM

I think Jindal should run in 2012, regardless of who wins in 2008.

aquaviva on June 17, 2008 at 12:34 AM

A little off topic, but if you’re an La. voter who’s ticked about the pay raise, Jindal’s contact info is here, and folks are getting organized against the Legislature’s pay raise:

Laura on June 17, 2008 at 1:06 AM

Newt Gingrich seems willing to impair Governor Jindal’s long-term prospects for the sake of a doubtful, near-term advantage in electioneering.

Kralizec on June 17, 2008 at 2:51 AM

As for Louisiana’s proposed legislative pay raises, here’s a governmental “watchdog” group’s description of the Louisiana Legislature’s existing compensation.

The chart about a third of the way down the page seems to be a good, yet concise introduction, for readers who don’t want to linger. If LA-PAR’s representations are accurate, the existing compensation seems pretty shabby, especially considering the abuse one suffers in an elective office and the lack of job security.

Kralizec on June 17, 2008 at 3:22 AM

Jindal needs to stay in Louisiana. His future is bright nationally if he can turn the banana republic around quickly. Approving a doubling of pay for crackhead legislators does not play well with the poor folks there.

Carleton Fiorina seems to be the best choice for Juan. Romney would make a good VP, but GOP needs to avoid a all-white, all male, all the time ticket this time around.

saved on June 17, 2008 at 8:17 AM

Kralizec, it’s a part time job – 60 to 90 days a year, for which they are paid a base pay and per diem totaling over $25,000. And that doesn’t include other payments like mileage, perqs and all that; not to mention lobbyists tripping all over themselves to give them gifts, buy them lunch, and provide overpaid jobs for their spouses and children.

This is a stealth attempt to get a full-time legislature, which we emphatically DO NOT NEED. Those people cause enough trouble in three months; the LAST thing we need is for them to go at it full time.

Laura on June 17, 2008 at 9:47 AM

And to get back on topic – Jindal’s admission that he can’t or won’t stand up to these thieves, in spite of the fact that he’s got a line-item veto, is pathetic and sad. Again; he didn’t say a word when they gutted the ethics reforms he called a special session to get. He campaigned on the idea that he was going to go to the mat with these people and change the way things got done around here. Obviously that’s not true.

Laura on June 17, 2008 at 10:01 AM

Please – leave Bobby Jindal alone.

The last thing this young man needs is to be associated to a lunatic like John McCain.

Bobby Jindal – run and hide – that’s my advice.

jake-the-goose on June 17, 2008 at 11:59 AM

Bobby, please ignore this campaign. Please stay in LA and prove that real conservative principles work.

Leave Bobby alone. Go destroy the party with your usual cadre of party hacks.

spmat on June 17, 2008 at 12:02 PM

spmat, jake-the-goose, and the rest of you Jindal supporters – I understand. I used to be one of you. I voted for Jindal every chance I got. Every campaign I had a yard sign, I volunteered in the phone bank, and participated in get out the vote efforts. And here’s what I got for my troubles. In spite of the fact that’s he’s enjoyed overwhelming support AND has a line item veto, Louisiana is going to be a good deal worse off when Jindal leaves office. He is about as conservative as our Congressional GOP, which is to say, hardly at all:

A budget is being proposed that will increase spending to $29.7 billion, tripling the size of government in only 12 years, giving Louisiana the highest growth of government per capita in the South. The budget also adds another 1,000 employees to state government. [so much for Jindal's "hiring freeze" - as toothless as his ethics reform!] Per capita, Louisiana has more state and local employees than any other Southern state. According to recent data from the U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics, there are approximately 350,000 individuals employed in state and local government in Louisiana. Among that total, about 110,000 are state employees. While we grow government and add more people to the state payroll, nothing is being done to improve the private sector, which is contracting in Louisiana. There are no proposals being debated in the legislature to give substantial tax cuts to Louisiana businesses, even though they are overtaxed and being constantly courted to leave the state.

We are moving quickly down the road toward socialism in Louisiana, as our tax rates are high, our government is large and our private sector is small and continually hamstrung with high taxes, needless regulations and overbearing government interference.

That’s Jindal’s record. Although he has massive support and a line item veto, instead of applying those conservative principles he campaigned on, he’s driving us further left. He’s rapidly becoming more popular with Democrats than with Republicans – much like John McCain. Jindal played us, and now we’re stuck with him, but there’s no reason the rest of the country can’t wise up and learn from our mistake.

Laura on June 17, 2008 at 12:41 PM